1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Old Type Match-ups

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Wizard, Jul 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,434.8
    In the 1st Pokémon Generation, some of the type advantages were different than the are now, such as bug being super effective against poison, and ghost not being able to affect psychic types (as opposed to now, where ghosts are super effective).

What do you think of the Generation 1 type charts? Do you think the changes were warranted, or would you prefer to keep the generation one type match-ups?

I personally think that the type matchups that were added and improved were good changes, and they added more depth to Pokémon. Ghost used to not be able to affect two different types, and that was a little unfair, imo. Poison and Bug being super effective against each other didn't make too much sense, and I'm pretty glad they changed it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Thank goodness Gen II changed Psychic's absurd OP-ness by adding Dark-type and changing Ghost-type's effectivity. I'm glad that they changed those things, or else Psychic would dominate the competitive scene. It's also odd to think that Bug used to be super-effective to Poison considering how many Grass/Poison types there are...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I think it's safe to say that the changes were good. Psychic really needed a nerf and having it not weak to Ghost was a big problem. Gen 2 really did a great job at fixing the types.

4. Heavenly

Heavenly Just Smile!

PokéPoints:
    ₽83.2
    Those changes were definitely effective in changing up the metagame. While Alakazam would go uncontested in RBY meta, in GSC due to the changes he was outshined by stall and the type changes were a factor in that (also Suicune and Snorlax existing.) Overall, it was more healthy to the game's environment in general.

5. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    The changes were definitely called for. I don't know why Ghost had no effect on Psychic to begin with, anyways. I think Poison should be super-effective against more, tbh, but I don't think Bug makes the most sense like it was in Gen 1.

6. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    Bug wasn't super effective against Poison, Poison was super effective against Bug. RIP Parasect. But yeah, Psychic type was absurd back in the day. The limited amount of Ghost moves and Bug moves made Psychic one of the best types back then.

7. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I agree with all the changes expect poison not being super effective against bug. In my opinion, it makes sense that poison should be supper effective against bug types. You use poison when you want to get rid of bugs, right? Maybe they were just concerned of overpowering the type like what they did with psychic, though...

8. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    Honestly I was so young back then that I didn't even know most of the type matchups beyond the obvious fire/grass/water stuff. But from what you describe, it sounds like it was changed for the better. Although Mandriel does make a good point that we use poison to get rid of bugs.... buuut... a lot of bugs (at least here) are very poisonous themselves? I guess that's why it's confusing haha

9. Arc1Dragon

Arc1Dragon Just Monika

Kyurem Egg
    (Kyurem Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽878.9
    Crown of ValorPhilosopher's CowlStaff of VerityTapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    I'm pretty sure Psychic's immunity to Ghost was a coding error