1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

On games with adjustable difficulty, which difficulty do you usually go for?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by colours, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Borie Broer

Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽368.8
    It really depends on a lot of factors, such as my mood, and if the game I'm playing is balanced well around hard difficulty.
    I tend to start off on normal, if the game starts out too easy I'll put it on hard, but if things like battles end up dragging out and are becoming annoying because of it I'll switch to a lower difficulty, I find myself switching difficulty a lot lately, I just want to have a fun, balanced and fair challenge, but not every game seems as balanced as they could be.
    Also in the case of not being able to switch difficulty... I'd probably be stuck on normal, unless it's a game I'm familiar with, then I might be playing on hard, but it really depends on the game still.

2. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I guess it really depends? I remember I use to chose the easy difficulty all the time when I was really young. Now I just go for normal difficulty, or the hardest difficulty if I'm feeling confident.

3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    But what about games that aren't easy-normal-hard, but normal-hard-somethingharderthanhard? In those cases, I still start at the middle, then adjust up or down as needed. Like Final Fantasy 13LR? I had to turn that one down to the lower (nominally normal) setting. Or Skyrim and Fallout 3-4? I put those on Very Hard, even though I also had mods making the combat of those games harder-er. But I always try to start at the middle of all available options regardless of nomenclature minus the "sightseer" modes that are just for the storytelling. If I just wanted the storytelling and no challenge... I'd watch a movie or a Let's Play instead.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I don't even bother going for anything harder than the default Hard difficutly unless I'm really confident I can do well in them. Not even in Tales games do I even touch the hard difficulty, because you can get through the games fine with Normal or even Moderate mode.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Sylphiel

Sylphiel Swimmer

Volcanion Egg
    (Volcanion Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽568.2
    Just give me the normal difficulties and I'll be good. I could probably do hard or above, but if it's a first-time playthrough then I can't be bothered with them.

6. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    My first playthrough is always normal.

I'm not big on replaying games, but on second run throughs, I'll usually go with hard or 'lunatic' mode.

I don't like switching difficulties partway through a game. Does anyone else feel the same way?

7. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    Same here. I don't either, since then you basically have to re-learn what's optimal if you change to hard, or you realize that it's too... simple... on an easier difficulty. I also feel like it's taking the easy way out if you choose to change it to an easier difficulty.

8. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    I'll usually go with the default difficulty as my first playthrough, since that's what I believe is the "intended" first experience. On replays, I'll hit up the most difficult setting available.

9. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I find myself gravitating towards easier difficulties more and more these days, because I have a colossal backlog and I just don't have the time to play games on harder settings, and I just don't get the same satisfaction playing on harder difficulties that I used to.

This is the thing about hard modes in most games - they're not difficult. Time consuming is not difficult, it's a test of patience, and how patient you are with a game does not determine how well or how poorly it is designed. If you just give enemies more health or have them cause more damage, it's not hard when you can take them out in exactly the same fashion as you can on lower difficulties...or when you can overcome every challenge by grinding, in the case of JRPGs. Say for example, in normal mode you can beat a boss at level 10, hard mode you need to be level 15 to not die immediately...where is the challenge in this, when the boss is exactly the same? It's very rare in games these days - at least the kinds of games I play - for the AI to actually get smarter and make the game FEEL harder, rather than like a time-consuming chore where it doesn't have to be.

In my experience, if a game is going to present any sort of challenge, it won't have adjustable difficulty settings. It will be well-designed and let the results speak for itself. Hard mode these days just seems to be designed to make things last longer - presumably to give greater satisfaction, but it just doesn't work that way for me any more.

10. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I usually start at medium and work my way up.

11. Astinus

Astinus Bug Catcher

Nidoran♂
    (Nidoran♂)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.4
    Ultra Ball ★★
    This is my reasoning too. I play on the "easy" mode because I have a constantly growing list of games to play through (along with games that don't end that I want to return to). By playing on easy mode, I can get enjoyment out of the game without stressing out or spending a lot of time playing.