1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Smash One Year of Smash Bros Ultimate

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Wizard, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,397.0
    It had been an entire year since Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has released! In that time, it has become not only one of the highest selling Switch titles, but the best selling fighting game ever made! It has also won many game of the year awards and is slated to win at least one awards at this year's TGA. Since release, we have received four DLC fighter packs, numerous updated and patches, and a handful of new game modes!

One year in, what are your thoughts on Smash Ultimate? Did it exceed your expectations? Is the game better balanced now than at release? Who would you like to see join the brawl?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I bought it, cleared the main "story" mode, got every spirit, and then sold it. I wasn't particularly impressed by it, but then, fighting games aren't really my thing to begin with and I despise PvP with a passion, so it was never going to be anything more than something I played through once. Once was more than enough. It was better than Brawl and the 3DS/Wii U versions, but not as good as Melee...but then, I was much, much younger when Melee was released, and I had friends back then, so that might be why.

The only comment I have on the meta and game balance is this: player skill is what is most important. Tiers are only a measure of what is popular, not of what is better. I can't think of anyone offhand that I would have liked to have seen in Smash, really...at least, not to the point that I'd be frothing at the mouth, begging for their release, getting angry when other characters are put in instead, etc. The surprise characters don't really do much for me - at least until I see a Banjo Kazooie remaster with comments that it was made as a result of the popularity of the character in Smash, which I doubt would be the reason for it - and...eh, everyone is going to want someone different.

I would actually love to see Wargreymon in it for the hell of it, I guess. Maybe Blanc from Hyperdimension Neptunia as well to screw with the fourth wall a bit...she's my least favourite CPU, but Nintendo IS her platform, so she should be in it. With a hammer. A large one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Faded Autumn likes this.
  3. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Wow, has it really been a year?
    My brother bought it release day and played through world of light I think... he only let me play a few times, so I don’t really know all the new characters too well. I’ve had a burnout from Smash Bros since then, which is a little unfortunate. I gave up on trying to learn all the competitive technical terms and things.

4. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Honestly, this might just be my favorite game in my favorite series. This game really killed it when it comes to the gameplay, and I think it might be because of the smaller things that I enjoy it so much. Balloon knockback, people reaching the height of their jump easier, and the overall drop of landing lag made it harder to go back to Smash 4. As for the other questions, the game's definitely more balanced than it was at release because they've only really been nerfing the top tiers and the buffs to low tiers have largely been inconsequential (with some exceptions). I'd want Shovel Knight and Bandanna Waddle Dee in the game but I doubt we're getting either as DLC.

There are some games I liked more than this one, but regardless, Smash Ultimate will always hold a special place in my heart. I've already had such good memories with this game and it's the only game I can say I've enjoyed playing regularly throughout the whole year. I'll be very upset if this doesn't win Game of the Year.

Wizard likes this.