1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Onyx's Moveset

Discussion in 'Art Corner' started by Onyx, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Here's a couple of my Pokémon works. I'll update regularly. Please CnC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Your text is very nice, and I like your color choices, along with effects. I'd really recommend toning down the Topaz filters, though, as they can decrease depth and quickly oversharpen signatures. The Giratina one is a good example of what I mean by Topaz oversharpening. When you use it, I recommend lowering the opacity and fill a bit to fit each signature. If used right, Topaz Clean can really improve and clean up a signature, but sometimes it can be a bit overkill. I usually use it around 40% opacity on Pokémon signatures, and sometimes I'll use 70% Opacity & 70% Fill if I feel it looks nice. It's all a matter of balance.
    Overall, very nice work. Keep it up!

3. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Thanks for the actual criticism. It's hard to get a response better than "Oh I like it", or "Could be better". Anyways, I just started using Topaz, the Thundurus one was my first attempt. I grabbed some Smudge tuts which I plan on implementing.

4. Ashe

Ashe Silly

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.3
    I agree with Satix's comment about the Topaz filter. Since it's mentioned I won't go further into it.

Overall, I really love your color choices. I think the backgrounds colors compliment the renders. Also about the colors, they are nicely balanced. Not just 1 color takes over the piece, but where the colors are positioned, they are evenly balanced.

I'm usually not a fan of slanted text at all but I think they work in your favor. The last 2 are slanted but with good reason. The 2nd one's text matches the flow of the background and the 3rd one matches the diagonal pattern on Giratina.

My favorites of this set in order is the Thundurus, Giratina, and lastly Yveltal. I believe Yveltal is the weakest in this set because the character doesn't really pop out to me. I was kind of confused as to what I was looking at at first xD I think it's blended too much into the background for my tastes. The white behind him helps the render pop out a little though. These are all great pieces of work though, I'd love to see more!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Thanks for the crit. I've kinda stopped using Topaz so heavily, and trying to go for a Softer not so contrasty style.

Here's some of my other works before topaz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit:

Here's something I made tonight while vaguely following a tutorial... The text stumped me so I just left it out.

[​IMG]

6. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Great work! I especially like the last two. Both have very nice effects and a good flow, along with great color choices. You should definitely consider entering the SOTW sometime.

7. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Thanks maybe the next one when I'm not preoccupied with other projects.

8. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I don't have much in the way of criticism cause I am no graphic artist, but I have to say I'm really liking the one with Shining Gundam. There aren't really many Gundam series fans here, it's cool to see.

9. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Thanks, that was the first of many that I did with that style. I'm one of those people that the more they look at something they made, the less they like it. haha

10. LoN

LoN

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    I think that's the same with a lot of us. Don't sweat it, bro. You've got some neato stuff going on here. I echo what Ashe and Satix have already stated, no use repeating it.

11. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Well here's a new one. I was going to make it for last weeks SOTW, but due to Internet errors I couldn't submit. Anyways, I changed the text and here it is:
    [​IMG]
    Please CnC

12. Stark

Stark

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    I like the colour scheme, and the effects.

I feel that the depth and lighting needs improvement. I can't tell what is in the foreground and background, and there isn't a clearly defined light source.

I find the flow a little confusing, my eyes aren't sure in which direction they should be going - they're just darting around the image a little confused, instead.

Onyx likes this.
  13. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I really like this, though I feel sort of like the text is kind of hard to make out. Mainly the Onyx piece, though that could be filler text, I'm not sure. This one is really great though, I'm trying to CNC as much as possible but I'm lame. </3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Onyx likes this.
  14. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Thanks, it looked a lot better when it said SOTW, but I tried my best to get the ONYX to work (Guess I didn't try hard enough)

15. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    I like this piece, and it's fairly easy for me to see your flow (right to left). To make the text more visible, I'd recommend brushing on a layer underneath with a 25 px soft brush on ~20%-25% opacity. I think it could use more depth, though. For this work, I'd recommend a few gradient maps (Black & White, Luminosity, mess with opacity, & maybe Orange-Violet, Soft Light, 30%), as well as a Maximum and High Pass filter. For the Maximum, I'd do the following:
    >New layer
    >Image>Apply Image
    >Filter>Other>Maximum
    >Edit>Fade Maximum>Blending Style to Multiply>20-30% Opacity

High Pass:
    >New layer
    >Image>Apply Image
    >Filter>Other>High Pass
    >Set layer to soft light & adjust opacity if needed.

You can also try some blurring and sharpening, too, and lighting could really make this piece pop.

16. Ashe

Ashe Silly

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.3
    Aw too bad you couldn't enter sotw, this one is very nice! I love the red/purple/yellow ish color scheme and how the white on the render just pops out. I do agree though what people said above about the text. I would have gotten rid of that yellow line that's going over the "s" and maybe made it darker behind Onyx so it's more readable, but not too dark.

17. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Ah thanks everyone, I get better CNC here GFX forums.

Gawd everytime I come back the staff's got a new set of Tags and avatars haha.

I've been working a lot in Smudge styles and I have this Pikachu piece that I must have spent 60+ hours on Adding stuff then later removing it all. I'll post it in a bit with peices I decided to keep, but it's nowhere near being done haha. I could really use some guidance on where I should go with it?​
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Onyx

Onyx Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Well I don't like to double post, but I guess I'll do it anyways...

Here's my latest tag, it is Oliver Sykes from the Death Core band Bring Me the Horizon in case you didn't know.

[​IMG]

19. MisterFedora

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Hey, all of your stuff in this thread is great so far! I'm not really helpful in digital art like this, but if there's one thing I could say about these photos is that they're not saturated enough. The most beautiful part of art and images in general are colors. Don't get me wrong here, I'm really enjoying the contrast of dark/light in these, and really loving that the subject of the picture is always what draws my attention first, but colors are essential to any photo, and should be given a spotlight.

This is only coming from me, though.

20. Stark

Stark

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    On the subject of the colours themselves, I disagree. Less saturated colours are totally fine and usable. The main thing is the colour -scheme-. Does it make sense? Is it pleasing to the eye?

Onyx, on this topic, I would say you 95% nailed that. The one thing I would like changed is the little blue part to the bottom left made into a more fitting colour.

And with your doublepost - its fine in the graphics or fanfiction boards as long as its a meaningful post or update :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.