1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Out of style genres

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Halcyon Storm, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    Since the release of Pong back in 1972, one might say that the world of gaming has evolved quite a lot (imagine a presentation of Pacman as a new game at E3 this year). And, as with anything that has been around for such a long time, certain trends come and go. The same thing happens with game genres; some types of games you don't see that often anymore.

Do you have a particular genre that has clearly fallen out of style, but you desperately wish would come back to life? Or the exact opposite, a genre that's really popular now, but you just can't wait until it's gone?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I am a little sick of the same anime cutesy girl style you see in so many games aimed at females or just female characters in games.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I would desperately like Square Enix to shrivel up and disappear, but I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen any time soon.
    I would also desperately like Konami to shrivel up and disappear too, and that outcome actually seems a bit more likely.

I am aware that those are not genres, but companies - yet Square Enix tends to basically produce a lot of weird quirky samey RPGs nowadays, and it has gotten tiresome, to the point where I do not want to hear about them, or anything related to them, anymore. RPGs do not have to be 'quirky'; you can put your own spins on it and that's fine, but don't do it for the sake of the twist.

4. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I am so done with Bethesda and its milking of the TES series. Please go sit in the corner and die.

5. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    Not really any genre that I outright despise, except for the shooter genre. Call of Duty comes to mind. But really that's mainly because I haven't played a single CoD game. (I've played Halo, and now understand why it's popular. I've also played Gears of War 3, and liked the gameplay and story.)

Well there's also open-world exploration. There's only so much you'll wanna explore before wanting to stop playing. Elder Scrolls Skyrim comes to mind, but that's just Bethesda's style of making games and it works for them.

6. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    It might work for them, but it is nothing new to the player. I have played it a lot and seriously, I wouldn't be able to start a new game without going mental.