1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Painting destroys itself after being auctioned

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wolf Expert, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Anyone else hear about this? A Banksy painting was sold at an auction for $1.4 million and then immediately after, slid down through the trick picture frame and shredded itself. Afterwards there was some debate over whether this ruined the artwork, or if it made it more valuable. To summarize for non art folks, art is subjective and weird.

So what do you think? Is the painting worth more now? Or completely worthless? I'm in the boat of thinking that the shredding is part of the art since it was created to do this by the artist, so I'd say that's part of it's value, but I wouldn't say being shredded makes it worth more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Honestly when I heard this happened I laughed. Banksy would pull something like that. I definitely don’t think it ups the value of the painting. Banksy hates shit like that so I’m sure he didn’t even intend it to up the value.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flumph

Flumph PKMN Breeder

Azelf (Anniversary)
    (Azelf (Anniversary))
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,834.1
    Amulet Coin ★★★
    I would pay 3.4 million dollars to see the reactions of the people at the auction again, so yeah a value increase is fine.

4. Roman

Roman Black Belt

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽43.3
    I saw a video of that. Kind of hate Banksy but that was hilarious. I did hear somewhere that it made it more valuable, it being shredded like that

5. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I don't think it's worth more money (I don't think it was ever worth any money, in fact) but I AM pleased that others think it is - if only because I imagine Banksy is gnashing their teeth in fury right now as their grand plan to render their "artwork" worthless backfired spectacularly. Serves them right.

6. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,990.4
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    It's pretty darn hilarious.
    On the other hand, if it was shredded into long, neat strips, why not weave the painting with a plain weave? 'td look pretty cool.

7. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I think it only shredded half of the painting. It could still be placed in a frame, but you would be able to tell it was shredded.