1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Photoshop Help!

Discussion in 'Art Corner' started by Pyramid King, Dec 10, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyramid King

Pyramid King Just checking on things

Egg
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽66.6
    Ok so Christmas is coming and I want Photoshop. I am fairly new to Photoshop and want to use something other than gimp or ms paint. I need some answers to my questions.

1. Is Adobe lightroom 5 like photoshop because I cant find Photoshop cs5.

2.Which should I get Photoshop cs5 or cs6.

3. Do I need internet to use or to just activate it.

4. Where to get a good deal on Photoshop but no online stores.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    You do realize how expensive it (Photoshop) is, right? But business places like Staples have it. Walmart may have it, idk.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ashe

Ashe Silly

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.3
    CS6 can cost over 600 dollars or more xD

In my opinion ps 7/cs2 was just as good as cs6. Only reason I got cs6 was because it restored files if it crashed. But yah, I would look into older versions and see if they are cheaper because they work just as great xD

I'm not sure about stores but maybe Best Buy or any digital software store. Good luck!

4. EmeraldGlee

EmeraldGlee DESPAIR FOR ME!

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    - I'm not too sure about this one, since I've never personally used Lightroom, but from what understand, it's more geared to editing photos whereas PS has digital art capabilities. But I could be wrong.

- There really isn't much of a difference between the two. I have to agree with Ashe that getting older versions if you're just a hobbyist, or starting out, is better since they're already pretty good. I used PS7 for the longest time, before shifting to CS6 a few months ago for animation purposes.

- Nope. You can use it without being connected to the net. :) But there are occasional updates, and they're gonna warn you anyway.

- sorry dear, I can't help you with this one. I live in the Phils., so our shops would be different.

5. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    photoshop is EXTREMELY expensive in stores, about $600+ so i do not recommend buying in stores unless you can afford to throw away that amount of money on something you're not sure on how to use. a friend of mine is a photo major and uses lightroom, it really is NOT like photoshop at all, it is geared towards editing photos so there are more options such as color levels, contrast/brightness, vibrance, etc, not as heavy as photoshop tools. that said i really am not familiar with how lightroom works since i haven't personally used it but i have seen it in use so i can definitely say they don't behave the same at all. if you're just starting out, i recommend getting cs2. adobe has it available for free right now, and its a good place to start. it IS download, but its free so definitely a steal as opposed to the price of photoshop in store. the major differences is the lack of specialized brushes to use while drawing/painting, but really its a small detail and its not much to miss, especially when there are a whole ton of custom brushes to find on the internet.

6. Fooze

Fooze Rival

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I'm going to do what Emerald did because I feel it's more to-the-point that way.

I haven't personally used Lightroom but it seems it is more geared toward photography and image modification which is quite different to Photoshop. Photoshop is more of a canvas based program that is very versatile, and like GIMP 2.0 can do various things for creating graphics. It has a very professional part of it as well, with a huge selection of downloadable brushes and other tools. Answering your question, Lightroom does have distinct differences to Photoshop and it can not do the same things as Photoshop and vice versa.

I've come across many talented artists over the web who use the older versions of Photoshop but yet deliver a stunning finished product despite using an older version. I'd say rather go for the cheaper alternative if you are a hobbyist and are not seriously committed to a career in the field of art. If are committed (and have the cash), I'd say go for whatever you wish. Obviously the newer versions do have extra features and can be more useful at times but the same formula is more or less carried through with each version of Adobe Photoshop. Just be warned that it can cost a lot of money.

Most programs, video games and tools nowadays require an internet connection for a third-party software to determine the authenticity of your program but Photoshop CS6 (and the older versions) only requires an internet connection for occasional updates. So, nothing to worry about there.

This would depend on where you are situated but I'd suggest purchasing a program as expensive as this during a sale period. That way you can get the best bargain out of it. Try looking around nearby stores that stock Adobe Photoshop for the best deal, and I'd advise against shipping anything as shipping costs can cost an arm and a leg at times.

Hope that helped you understand things a bit better!

7. Pyramid King

Pyramid King Just checking on things

Egg
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽66.6
    Thank you everyone for answering my questions this has helped a lot.

8. Erladino

Erladino

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    Alright I guess it's a bit late to reply to this post, since you wanted it by Christmas. Anyways, if you don't have it or would like to know more about it, then it would be worth sharing what cs-version you're using. It ranges mostly of Photshop's typical working background. You can download photoshop online but that isn't very favorable. The only way is to pay for it, at the moment. Why not check Photoshop's official website, or try out the trial version? That's pretty handy!

Experimenting
    For photoshop, it's highly advised you experiment with all the tools and effects it has to offer. Try playing with stuff, creating random backgrounds and get comments on those. If you're looking to improve your work and get to know about what you're doing - don't make it a strict working environment, make it fun and interesting.

Online Guides & Plugins
    There's 100's of guides on the internet. How do you go about Photshop, what do you do with it and such. It's highly important to know your version if you're looking for real help. Youtube videos can also be of great assistance. You can also download various grunge brushes and make your custom ones as well. But please, for plugin downloads, it's highly recommended you use the site's official forums. Something wrong may screw up your entire program.

Feedback
    Getting feedback is the only way you'll understand how you can improve. Why not upload your work on Deviant ART and such, to get critique and comments on'em. Part of being a striving graphic designer is to know that nothing is perfect. There is always room for more improvement.

Lastly, I'd like to say this was helpful. If you'd like more help, you can find me on deviant ART of Outlook. If you still don't have photoshop, try checking out E-bay deals and such. Have fun with photshop!

Regards,
    Erlade

9. Fooze

Fooze Rival

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    Automatic generated message
    This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: Questions have been more than adequately answered.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,
    Lake Valor Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.