1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Picking pokémon for OT fics

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Talarc, Sep 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Talarc

Talarc Swimmer

Muro
    (Whismur)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽935.8
    For those of you who write OT (original trainer) stories, how do you decide which pokémon your trainer (or trainers) uses? What factors influence your decisions?

Personally, I'm trying to move towards using the pokémon on a character's team to help show the reader parts of their personality, as well as to provide challenges for them as they develop over the course of the story. For example, I plan to have one of my characters start with an eevee that her parents bought her for her tenth birthday, which I want to use to show that she values pokémon based on their popularity and is also spoilt by her parents. I also figure I can use the eevee as an obstacle by making him high-strung and arrogant, which makes him hard to control in battle. This creates a continuing challenge for the trainer to overcome. If we also consider that eevee are rare and valuable, having him on the team could also make the trainer a target for pokémon thieves.

What about the rest of you? How did you choose pokémon for your stories?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    The one thing I take into account is what the dream of the trainer is. If she wants to be a league trainer, she will have stronger Pokémon, because she has the experience needed to handle them.

I have a breeder OT and she had Pokémon that are known for being gentle and their strengths are handy around a hatchery. She wouldn't have a Metang or Galvantula like my League trainer character could have, but instead a Leavanny and a Furret.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I also try to reflect parts of a character's personality, usually choosing Pokémon of similar prejudiced personality as the trainer. For a trainer who's ruthless I might give Bisharp. A trainer who's elegant I might give Gardevoir. A trainer who has the personality of a Shaolin monk I might give Mienshao. All of this because I think of tendencies of real people's favorite Pokémon. Angsty gothy highschoolers might like Hydreigon, weird kids who are hard to read might like Dodrio. Things like that, I try to match people with their likely favorites.

On the other hand, sometimes I have this backfire to act as a foil. A young and cutsey trainer might have a Jigglypuff who is absolutely combative and picks a fight with anything that moves. Or maybe a militaristic strongman who trains a Steelix which is positively timid and afraid of small Pokémon. Things like that to highlight frustrations, always building off my prejudices of how a particular species would tend to act.

4. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    Personally, I just choose Pokémon that are cool and special to me. My OC trainer’s full teamw I’ll consist of A Feraligatr, Shiny Charizard, Umbreon, Lycanroc, Mudsdale, and Seviper.

Not all of these Pokémon are fantastic in battle but they are special to me hence why I picked them. I also try to give them personalities that make them seem different and unique.

BIGJAW The Feraligatr: Debately his strongest Pokémon. BIGJAW is a very cheerful and determined Pokémon. He was the trainers starter and grew very close to him. He also has a passion for battling and gives it his all. However, when the going gets tough he loses his intelligent mind and lashes out like a mindless animal.

Night Wing The Charizard is kinda like the Feraligtar, but much more cocky and kinda a jerk. He also butt’s heads with him and is a rival of BIGJAW. He’s proud of his power and loves to battle opponents. He however, underestimates some which leads him to lose battles because he was too late to battle seriously. He dies have a heart though and shows he cares through means of training with the other Pokémon and only shows affection to his trainer.

Luna the Umbreon is calm, quiet, and intelligent. She’s the mellowest and hates the sun. She also enjoys a good nap. However, she’s very tricky and deceptive. rather then using brute strength like some of her team mates. She wiggles down their health but by but with status effects or uses attract to passiy male opponents.

White Fang the Lycanroc: he’s very loyal to all his teammates. He is, however, very aggressive and fights like how a wild wolf would fight. He’s the total opposite of how he used to be when he was a Rockruff. He is also very interested in Luna and will do pretty much anything to be around her. Even attempting to change his sleeping patterns just so he could be with her more.

Bruho: A very stubborn Pokémon. With his large, thick, and sturdy build, hehas the most brute strength and tanking potential but he’s pretty slow and is a big target. He doesn’t like tobakc down frombattkes he can’t even win because his pride gets in then way. However, he has a head strong determaiton to push him through anything. He’s not very social and worse than the Night Wing when it comes to displaying emotion. Some would consider him emo XD

Venom the Seviper: a very suave and polite Pokémon. He may not be the strongest or fastest but he is quite capable of fighting. He’s a master with using his tail blade to fend off other blade wielding Pokémon. He can find out Pokémon weak points and uses the terrain to Hau advance with dig. He also has a surprise Flame Thrower at his disposal. When he’s not battling, he likes to cook and tries to get with he ladylies (even though he fails miserably). He can be quite full of himself, hence why he where’s a King’s Rock on his head.

At least I hope I make them diverse enough to have them be enjoyable charcaters.

5. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I usually just tend to go off of what Pokémon I would think they would have. For example, Zero Surama, one of my OTs, would use mostly mammal Pokémon such as Lucario, Pikachu/Raichu, and Floatzel. He might also use Pokémon that could be found in a forest somewhere, like Noctowl or Swellow. That's just the kind of theme he has. Though, depending on the region he's in and what events would take place, he might end up with the occasional odd one out, like Chikorita.

Jack Powers has Atlas, which takes the form of a member of the Shinx line as Jack was originally a character I RPed on Mega Man Star Force RP where Atlas was a leonine AMian with a similar color scheme. Eevee and Absol were suggestions, but I also added Growlithe to his team since it seemed to more or less fit in.

Of course, what Pokémon I start them off with typically depends on if I used the character elsewhere. Of course it also depends on where I would consider having them start from. For example, Zero's starter was originally intended to be Riolu as I intended to use him in a story set in Orre where I would've started him in Agate Village.

I also consider what their focus is. For example, Kalea is from Alola and looking to become a coordinator, so I gave her Popplio's line. I also gave her an Oricorio, Roserade, and a Rotom.

Aside from this, I just use RNG and plug the Pokédex Number result into Serebii, like with my Pokémon Hunter duo, which gave me Hitmonchan and Torkoal. Then if it results into a Legendary/Mythical Pokémon, I usually just retry.