1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gameplay Journal PITCH: Mandriel's White Nuzlocke (FINISHED)

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Mandriel, May 7, 2017.

1. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I'm currently doing a monotype challenge for Pokmon X, replaying Pokémon Sun and have way too much work to do... So I figured 'Hey! Now's the time for a Nuzlocke challenge!'

I also began to write this as a fanfic as I play. I'm not sure if I'll ever post the fic but eh. Who knows?

Nuzlocke Rules:
    - The first Pokémon on each route I meet needs to be caught. If I knock it out my accident, I can't catch another on the route
    - All Pokémon must be nicknamed
    - If a Pokémon faints, it is to be permanently boxed
    - When all Pokémon faint, it's Game Over
    - If the first Pokémon on the route evolves through trade, you have three chances to find a Pokémon that doesn't (this is because I'm lonely and an unevolved Pokémon will not survive to the end of the game).
    - If the first Pokémon on the route is one I have already caught, I have three tries to find another
    - Shinys can be caught whether or not it's my first encounter or I've already caught one previously

---​

So we begin my journey with the choice that has cursed us for over a generation: Grass, Fire or Water? I stood before the box, my mind turning as the pressure bore down on me. Snivy, Tepig or Oshawott? I was paralysed. I was petrified. I was-

Ah, who am I kidding, I chose Tepig.

Thanks to his good attack stat, he easily beat Cheren and Bianca. I named him Smith and decided that I was going to love him unconditionally, no matter how ugly and uncool his later evolutions will be.

(No offence, Smith)

TEPIG
    NAME: Smith
    Level: 5
    NATURE: Serious

After furiously mashing 'A' to get through the tutorial, I stepped into the tall grass and encountered my first wild Pokémon.

PATRAT
    NAME: Thom
    LEVEL: 2
    NATURE: Lonely

Not my first choice for a good Pokémon, but this is a Nuzlocke. I can't afford to be picky!

I ground Smith and Thom up a few levels before going into the Pokémon Centre to heal. I mashed my way though another tutorial before stepping outside to listen to Ghetsis's speech and battle N.

Our Pokémon were around the same level, but I beat N's purrloin (I finally understood the Pokémon's name. See, it's a pun of purloin... Am I the only one who took forever to see that?) fairly easily. On the next route, I finally got my running shoes and caught my third team member.

LILIPIP
    NAME: Josuke
    LEVEL: 7
    NATURE: Quirky

I love him.

So just to recap:

TEAM:
    Smith - Tepig - Lv 8

Thom - Patrat - Lv 6

Josuke - Lilipup - Lv 7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I usually copy paste the Platinum sprites from Serebii. Works really well and it easy to find the right Pokémon in.

Good luck with the challenge!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Mandriel likes this.
  3. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,884.6
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    There's actually an option in the text box, the three cubes in a pyramid shape, you simply type the Pokémon's name in lowercase there.
    [3D='pachirisu']
    and it should pop in

Mandriel likes this.
  4. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Copying the picture seems to work until I save the post. I think I might be doing something wrong...

I think I recognise what you're talking about, but I can't seen to locate it in this update. Has it been moved?

5. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,884.6
    I just had to look and I think it's the Pokéball

yeah

Mandriel likes this.
  6. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    I'm back! And I also have sprites! Thanks for the advice, guys ^_^

After adding Josuke to my team, I kept level grinding in fear of losing one of my Pokémon before I even got my first Gym Badge. When my team was all around level 10, Bianca found me and forced me to battle her. Thankfully, this was Bianca we're talking about, so I had zero problems taking down her team. Poor Bianca.

Once I reached Striaton City, I went straight to the school where Cheren was laying in wait so he could force me to battle him, too. He was a little harder to fight as his oshawott held an oran berry, but he soon succumbed to the same fate as Bianca. Poor Cheren.

It was then that I remembered the trainer near the Dreamyard who gives you a handy free Pokémon. I went there at once and received my fourth team member:

PANSAGE
    NAME: Edgar
    LEVEL: 10
    NATURE: Modest

I figured that since he was already around the same level as the rest of my team, I might as well train him on the first few trainers in the Gym. I approached the first Gym trainer, who sent out a lillipup that was Level 11. It was a tad stronger than Edgar but I didn't worry, I had enough potions.

The opposing lillipup's first move was tackle, taking a third of Edgar's HP. No big deal. I thought to myself, shrugging as I pressed another command. I could get one more move in before healing him.

The lillipup struck again.

It was a critical hit.

I watched in horror as the rest of Edgar's HP was drained in a single move. It had been his first battle and he was already being sent to the PC to live the rest of his days.

I dropped him off in the PC and demolished the other Gym trainer with the rest of my party (though Josuke did most of the work), all who were about Level 13. Before I knew it, I was standing before Cress, ready to take on the ultimate challenge.

Cue me spamming Sand Attack and Leer, all while internally screaming as Cress powered his Pokémon up with Work Up. It was a miracle none of my Pokémon were beaten by the time his panpour was defeated. With tears in my eyes, I accepted the Trio Badge and stepped outside, only to be swept up in a sideplot involving Fennel and the now-inactive Dream World. Yaaaaaaay. But on the plus side:

PURRLOIN
    NAME: Clara
    LEVEL: 10
    NATURE: Lax

Oh yeah, and Team Plasma showed up and did something. But who cares- I found something way crazier.

While level grinding in the tall grass, I found a wild Musharna, Level 11. Although excited, I decided to use this opportunity to gain a ton of EXP from a fully evolved Pokémon before shrieking and running away when I realised just how powerful the thing was.

So, so far:

TEAM:
    Smith - Tepig - Level 14

Josuke - Lillipup - Level 15

Thom - Patrat - Level 11

Clara - Purrloin - Level 12

DEFEATED Pokémon:
    Edgar - Pansage

#6 May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    Hah you're not the only one who didn't get the purrloin name for a while before realising how obvious it should have been XD

Mandriel likes this.
  8. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    On Route 3, I trained my team a little by relentlessly beating up some preschoolers' Pokémon and taking their money. As I tried to continue, Bianca stopped me and asked for my help returning a little girl's Pokémon that had been stolen by Team Plasma. Since I'm such a nice person, I agreed and set out on my quest for justice.

Cheren and the Team Plasma grunts waited patiently as I ran around in circles and caught:

WOOBAT
    NAME: Bella
    LEVEL: 11
    NATURE: Hasty

She's beautiful and has a nice nose.

Team Plasma was beaten, everybody laughed and had a good time, Smith and Josuke evolved, I got some Heal Balls that I will probably never use and everybody was happy!

Back along Route 3, I caught this little guy:

BLITZLE
    NAME: Leroy
    LEVEL: 8
    NATURE: Serious

He's fast but has bad defences, but I love him nonetheless.

We spent a while grinding and I suffered several mini heart attacks when Leroy kept almost fainting. But I eventually felt confident enough that he was stong enough not to die and went to explore Nacrene City, only to be promptly challenged by N. Fortunately, nobody was defeated and we did some more laughing and having a good time as he went off to sulk.

Pleased with my work, I deposited Thom because let's face it, he's only good for using Cut, which none of us need to progress any further in the game. Sorry Thom, but you're being replaced.

TEAM:
    Smith - Pignite - 17

Josuke - Herdier - 17

Clara - Purrloin - 15

Leroy - Blitzle - 14

Bella - Woobat - 16

BOXED Pokémon
    Thom - Patrat

DEFEATED Pokémon
    Edgar - Pansage

9. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Since all that was left to do in Nacrene City was to challenge the Gym, I did the most logical thing to do in a Nuzlocke: run around in the Pinwheel Forest, searching for Audinos to level grind against and run back to the nurse to make sure I don't get anyone killed. And catch a new friend!

TYMPOLE
    NAME: Jen
    LEVEL: 14
    NATURE: Docile

She loves her sick beats.

I was finally confident enough that Smith could take on Lenora's Gym without dying horribly. And he did. Every Pokémon was brought down in one or two moves. And then I got Retaliate, which I hope I'll never have to use, so I just left it in my bag to forget about. And then Team Plasma came to ruin everything. And then Burgh went down the path straight to the exit, devoid of all Plasma grunts like a dirty coward. And THEN I could finally enter the Pinwheel forest for real and catch more buddies.

I first ran into a Petilil, who almost murdered Leroy and Josuke with a combination of her Growth and Absorb attack; another reminder to me that status-boosting moves are not a waste of space. Fortunately, I caught her before she could cause any irreversible damage.

PETILIL
    NAME: Flora
    LEVEL: 17
    NATURE: Sassy

As I found her to be a bit more useful than Clara, who was conveniently killed by a Ranger soon after Flora's capture. Whoops. I used the Team Plasma grunts in the forest to grind up a few levels before Lenora gave me a Moonstone that I don't think I'll ever be able to use but it might sell for a good price.

Upon stepping out of the forest, I came face-to-face with the single greatest bridge I have ever seen in my life. Ok, that's a lie, but it's a pretty nice bridge.

TEAM:
    Smith - Pignite - 22

Josuke - Herdier - 23

Bella - Woobat - 20

Leroy - Blitzle - 18

Jen - Tympole - 16

Flora - Petilil - 19

BOXED Pokémon:

Thom - Patrat

DEFEATED Pokémon:
    Edgar - Pansage
    Clara - Purrloin

#9 Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  10. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,884.6
    I love petilil, it's an adorable grass type with good nuzlocke potential.

Mandriel likes this.
  11. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    In this chapter, many Pokémon are caught, tragedy strikes, and something awesome happens.

The next 10 or so minutes were spent running back and forth through Castelia City finding dancers, Bianca and Team Plasma before I was finally allowed to challenge the Gym. It was about time I paid Burgh back for making me do all the work back in Pinwheel Forest. Smith was all too willing to DESTROY ALL OF HIS BUGS!!!

Hey, it's his fault that his strongest Pokémon has a x4 weakness against fire. Bad idea, Burgh. It's almost as if he wants to be beaten...

And Bianca also got beaten. Poor Bianca. At least she helped level up a few of my Pokémon...

Desert Resort proved to be a great place full of plenty of Pokémon, including this little bastard who MURDERED LEROY IN COLD BLOOD.

SCRAGGY
    NAME: Xander
    LEVEL: 20
    NATURE: Mild

Too bad I soon caught a Sandile, so Xander got boxed.

SANDILE
    NAME: Kelly
    LEVEL: 22
    NATURE: Quiet

R.I.P. Leroy. You were a good boy. Now off to the box with you!

Fortunately, this place was pretty great for levelling Jen and Flora. I soon got impatient and went into Nimbasa City to fight Team Plasma grunts and listen to Bianca's family drama. I also swung by the Ferris Wheel to fight N, with fortunately no deaths. Thank Arceus; I was still getting over Leroy. I also found a Sun Stone to evolve Flora with.

I spent the next twenty minutes or so levelling up Kelly and Bella, the latter who finally evolved. Yaaaay! In the meantime, I caught another Psychic/Flying Pokémon. Not that I plan on anything happening the Bella, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

SIGILYPH
    NAME: Gary
    NATURE: Naive

And to top it off, I ducked into that castle thing to get myself a Yamask.

YAMASK
    NAME: Lilo
    LEVEL: 21
    NATURE: Mild

I thought I was done catching Pokémon by then, but I wasn't anticipating what was soon to come. While training Kelly, I saw a glimmer shining from a wild sandile...

You know, everybody has an exception when it comes to shinys in Nuzlocke challenges. Even though it's highly unlikely you'll find one in a normal playthrough, let alone a Nuzlocke run. But...

SANDILE
    NAME: Sparkle
    NATURE: Brave

I was screaming so loudly, my mum thought I'd hurt myself. We had guests over, so it was incredibly awkward to explain that I'd just found a rare, oddly-coloured variant while I was trying my hardest to catch it without knocking it out. I placed Sparkle in the PC and swore never to use her.

I was planning on evolving Kelly in Desert Resort, but it's taking way too long. I guess I'll just take on the Gym now and hope she evolves...

Until next time!

TEAM:
    Smith - Pignite - Level 23

Kelly - Sandile - Level 26

Flora - Lilligant - Level 23

Joksuke - Herdier - Level 23

Clara - Swoobat - Level 23

Jen - Tympole - Level 24

BOXED Pokémon:
    Thom - Patrat
    Xander - Scraggy
    Gary - Siglyph
    Sparkle - Sandile
    Lilo - Yamask

DEFEATED Pokémon
    Edgar - Pansage
    Clara - Purrloin
    Leroy - Blitzle

#11 Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  12. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,884.6
    Congrats on the shiny catch! Perhaps it was Leroy's noble sacrifice that brought the stars into line for you?

13. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    I hadn't thought of that before, but who knows? Thinking that does make me feel a little less sad about Leroy though.

14. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Guess who's back?

Kelly is back and she's single-handedly taken down Elesa's Gym! By furiously spamming Rock Tomb and Dig, I was able to beat all the trainers leading up to her fairly easily. Then I had to go back to Desert Resort to train her a little more because even after all that fighting, she still hadn't evolved.

Kelly was immune to Volt Switch, which was a huge relief. The biggest issue was the fact that Elesa's emolgas kept using Double Team, and Rock Tomb isn't a 100% accurate move to begin with. But eventually, Kelly emerged victorious and we got another badge. That's four down, four to go!

And then Alder showed up and made us battle some children and I ran around in the tall grass to find some more Pokémon.

LIEPARD
    NAME: Clara II
    NATURE: Quiet

Too bad I already have a dark-type on my team. Bye-bye Clara II!

Upon setting foot on Unova's other Giant Bridge, I needless to say caught the only Pokémon I could find.

DUCKLETT
    NAME: Goliath
    LEVEL: 23
    NATURE: Hardy

Then Clay showed up and made us go and catch some Team Plasma people.

Upon entering the Cold Storage area, I'd intended on catching an ice type, but ended up encountering a Minccino instead. Oh well. Unfortunately, Bella also accidentally killed it, so no new Pokémon for me. Double oh well.

And then while level grinding, Bella was beaten by a wild vanillite's Avalanche attack. *Internal screaming* Well, this makes my earlier statement about not planning on using my other psychic/flying type a little more ironic. Gary the Sigilyph has higher stats than Bella did, so I'm hoping he'll last until the endgame. I'm going to have to backtrack a little to level him up, though.

So Team Plasma was beaten fairly easily. It's a little sad that I've lost more of my Pokémon to wild Pokémon than them. I think I might train Flora and Jen a bit on the Gym trainers before challenging Clay.

TEAM:
    Smith - Pignite - Level 30

Kelly - Krokorok - Level 30

Josuke - Herdier - Level 28

Flora - Lilligant - Level 26

Jen - Palpitoad - Level 26

Gary - Sigilyph - Level 22

BOXED Pokémon
    Thom - Patrat
    Xander - Scraggy
    Sparkle - Sandile
    Lilo - Yamask

DEFEATED Pokémon
    Edgar - Pansage
    Clara - Purrloin
    Leroy - Blitzle
    Bella - Swoobat

15. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    So Jen and Flora were able to take down pretty much all of Clay's Gym with little effort, which gave me the confidence to fight Clay. His Krokorok was knocked out easily and then he sent our his excadrill. I quickly realised that Jen's Bubblebeam attacks weren't doing a whole lot of damage. And then he murdered her before I could heal her. And then he murdered Flora. And Kelly and Gary and Josuke. And then I sent out my final Pokémon, Smith. I knew he was going to be killed in one move if the excadrill used a rock or ground attack but it kept using slash for some reason.

And then I found out that exadrill is part freaking Steel-Type. All this time, I thought it was a pure ground type. I has commanded Kelly to use Crunch like a complete idiot. This could have all been avoided if I'd just gotten her to use Dig. Or sent out Smith before my other Pokémon so he could use his super-effective Fighting-Type moves.

Anyway, Smith managed to defeat it with a very lucky Arm Thrust. And then Clay's final Pokémon, a palpitoad OHKOed him.

Sigh, and I was doing so well...

So I have officially failed this Nuzlocke because I didn't know one single Pokémon had a secondary type. Now that's an epic fail.

I'm considering continuing the challenge and releasing the first Pokémon that was defeated (aka Jen. Looks like I'm not getting a seismitoad...). I've already played ahead quite a bit with my team minus Jen, I'm not sure whether or not to document the rest of the journey, though.

Anyway, thank you guys so much for reading, I hope this thread has been entertaining for you all!

16. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,884.6
    So sad. Well good job on it anyway

Mandriel likes this.
  17. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    It's a little more depressing since I actually completed a Nuzlocke of Pokémon White in the past :P Ah well, thanks for reading!