1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

PMD Writers, How do Your Human Characters Learn How to Use Moves?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Nova Ozuka, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Usually I don't worry about this sort of thing, but how do former humans figure out how to use their moves? I suppose having amnesia would help since they don't usually remember much of their past lives to focus on, but what about the ones that manage to have their memories of their human lives completely intact?

Sure, it must be easier to figure out in some cases. After all, a Squirtle could easily work out Water Gun or at least Bubble, and a Charmander could work out Ember or Flamethrower just as easy, but what about other Pokémon? I mean, it can't be that easy for someone that's turned into an electric type to launch a Thunder Shock. They kind of have to figure out to direct the electricity away from their body. Someone that's been turned into a Zorua also wouldn't have an easy time learning Incinerate as Zorua are Dark Type.

For those more difficult cases, they probably need someone to explain how to use a move to them, such is the case with Quinn, a new character of mine who not only was turned into a Pokémon, but a hybrid of multiple Pokémon. How would you explain how to use a move to someone who doesn't have the slightest clue?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Champ

Champ Tuber

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽74.3
    Ultra Ball ★★
    I think that is the reason why the HM and TM are created. So Pokémon can learn the skills that is compatible to their type and use it. It is just my guess and sort of like a suggestion(?).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I'd say there would probably be a bit of a learning curve, but using moves is such an integral part of being a Pokémon that learning to use moves probably wouldn't be all that different from learning to use a tail or walk on all fours. The Zorua example is an interesting one though, because that kind of brings up some other questions, like how can a human turned into a Zorua learn how to use illusions? Maybe knowing how is an instinctual thing? If a person's physical form can change, then I guess their brain would probably be a little different and work differently too, so a lot of Pokémon instincts would still affect them.

Nova Ozuka, Jupjami and SyWry like this.
  4. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I would say that instincts would play a huge roll in how Pokémon would perform the more ethereal moves. Just like asking the question of how do salmon know where to spawn or how birds know to fly south or fly at all, its a feeling a chemical within them that pushes them to go further. For Pokémon, it doesn't necessarily have to be brain wiring, there could be a gland that naturally spits acid when the Pokémon is agitated, a fire the burns withing a fire type that they can draw power from (I use this example in my own stories) and something similar could be used for dark types, pulling at a void within them or pulling energy from the spirit world that only they can feel. Feeling your way through instincts is how most animals, including us humans, survive and I'd believe Pokémon would be the exact same way. Do I think they need training, yes of course. Just like how humans have to learn how to stand, (though most animals don't) you'd have to learn how to use a move properly. Sure you can discharge electricity when agitated, but aiming it will require skill, not instinct. Remember that the body is often its own organism that works often separate from the conscious, so don't be afraid to engage in feelings more than thought.

Nova Ozuka and Jupjami like this.
  5. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    That's kind of what I was getting at with my Squirtle and Charmander examples: breath attacks. Obviously in cases of Pokémon where the move types match their user, moves that can be considered a "breath attack" of sorts will be much easier most of the time, almost like blowing out a candle.

Quinn of course has some idea for a couple of moves, those moves being Iron Tail, which he knows he can use, and Flamethrower, which he has no idea if he can use. He just doesn't know the most basic part of using any move: the one thing that seperates moves like Tackle from a regular attack.

I mean, in PMD games (not counting the Rescue Team remake) you could kind of tackle Ghost Type Pokémon and do damage without ever actually using Tackle, which does little to nothing depending on the game due to being a Normal Type move, iirc. Granted, I don't see a lot of difference between the two. I'll probably write in a white glow or aura or something as a start up whenever Tackle gets used if I ever use it in writing when the attack. Using the same logic, one could bite or scratch a Pokémon without using the actual moves.

SyWry likes this.