1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pocket Monsters: The Animation

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by BZRich64, Dec 31, 2019.

1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,927.3
    In the late 90's, a lightnovel adaptation of the Pokémon anime was written by Takeshi Shudō, head writer of the original Pokémon anime. The series only lasted two volumes before quietly being cancelled and will likely never see a return as Shudō passed away back in 2010. I've had trouble finding out much information about what the two volumes that were released contained, as they were never released outside of Japan. From what I have heard, it sounds like they deviate from the anime quite a bit. Most notably in it's world building, which is a lot more detailed. Some of the things that I could find include:
    • Ash's mother, Delia Ketchum, is shown to have an actual job. Specifically, she runs a restaurant called the Pallet House.
    • More details on Ash's father are given. He was supposed to have been a deadbeat who left his family after failing to make it as a Pokémon trainer. This was apparently a very common occurrence in this iteration of the Pokémon world.
    • People are considered legal adults at the age of 10. This doesn't just mean that they are able to become Pokémon trainers and head out on their own, but also that they are legally able to marry and have to pay taxes, along with everything else that comes with being an adult.
    • The Samurai that challenges Ash to a Pokémon battle early on is just a generic bug catcher.
    I'm sure that there's probably more that I haven't heard about yet, but just from those details it was clear that the series would have been very different from the anime had it continued.
    What are your thoughts on this mostly forgot part o the Pokémon franchise? Do you think the series should have been translated into English (or your language of choice)? Do you wish that the series had been able to finish it's run? Are you glad that it died off so early?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    It would be interesting to see as a concept, and it's always a shame when things get cancelled prematurely, but maybe it's for the best that this particular version of Pokémon didn't really get off the ground. Mostly just because of the legal adults at the age of ten thing. It would be a fascinating idea to explore in an anime, but I don't think that Pokémon, or any anime aimed towards children, would be the right show for that kind of world.