1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Original Poetic Just Us

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by VicTheJolteon, Sep 26, 2018.

Tags:
?

Have you ever written a Poem?

1. Yeah.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Nope

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. What`s a Poem?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VicTheJolteon

Eric
    (Vulpix)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽157.2
    Thunder Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    This thread is for any poem you want to share.

Anyone can post a poem here, but I request that they do not include any lewd references in them.

I encourage constructive criticism from all those commenting on the poems, but do try to not bash someone for their work.

---

This poem is really just here to get the discussion going. I hope that you share your poems here as well!

It is easy to Feel Small,

In a place where things can be so very Tall.

It is easy to Disappear,

In the Universe Far and Near.

But Together we will Tame this Wilderness,

Together We will make Our Claim.

And when we are Done,

And we have Tamed all things,

From the Humblest World to the Brightest Sun,

Only then can we truly Say,

"We are here, and We are here to Stay."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    This is the first actual poem I've written in, well, a long time. And it's really more in a rap!

The first four stanzas are in dactylic hexameter (X x x X x x, X x x X x x) (this is an energetic meter that really started with old Greek epics and fits well in rap, though I think I broke it on "unleashed" in the third stanza)). The next two are in trochaic tetrameter (X x X x X x X x) (tetrameter because that's easy to fit in most music, trochaic for the melancholy turn), while the next two are iambic tetrameter (x X x X x X x X) (iambic this time for the heartbeat and optimism of that meter), and if I ever perform this then the beat behind it will adapt to the change of time signature as well with these meter changes. The last two stanzas are again dactylic hexameter, this time mostly ending in an free beat anceps.

Can I get a 6/8 beat? *ahem*

(dactylic x6)
    Rising from nothing and striving for growing cause,
    fighting my weakness and smashing all that I was.

Waging war on my self: empty shell, withered husk.
    Training long, growing strong, every day, dawn to dusk.

Shackles are dropped now unleashing me I'm set free,
    all in the game never minding the pain in me.

Choosing my training my body is ready for
    anything given I vow to always take more.

(dramatic pause in the music as the beat changes to a slow 4/4)

(trochaic x4)
    Self-reduction, my destruction.
    Ages past I barely functioned.

Torch passed to me by my hero:
    it's from in me, I am Zero!

(iambic x4)
    And I will find the will to rise.
    My self I edit and revise!

I climb and grow, reach my ascent,
    I'll fight me at hundred percent!

(beat changes back to a fast 6/8)

(dactylic x6)
    Banish my meekness and replace my weaknesses.
    All my improvement, completeness, and geniuses!

Exit the shadow and into the penumbra!
    Hear these words, nemesis! Go Beyond: Plus Ultra!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Pokémist, Barandofl, Chicken and 2 others like this.
  3. VicTheJolteon

Eric
    (Vulpix)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽157.2
    Such an epic poem! Very Good!

I hope that you keep up the good work and refer as many poets you know to this forum (If they`re anything like you, then this tread might just become famous).

4. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,338.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I love this poem, too! Even though I resist the urge, I couldn't help but chant it out loud. It's just so catchy! Also, yes, I found the anime reference because it just felt kind of strange that you'd choose those last words.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  5. VicTheJolteon

Eric
    (Vulpix)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽157.2
    [​IMG]
    A Wisp of Sight,

A chance of Light,

It does not Exist,

Yet Exist it Does.

Through the Air it Flies,

Before my Disbelieving Eye,

How I wonder what its World is Like,

Flitting about the Endless Sky.

Like a creature of Heavenly Wrought,

For which the Gods and Mortals have surely Sought,

Always wanted, Never Caught,

At least that`s what I`ve been Taught.

Is it Real?

Is it False?

But all have asked,

All have wanted that mystery Unmasked.

But I guess it truly does not Matter,

It`s mainly just idle Patter,

So let us just marvel in its Beauty,

And let it travel through the Skyward Sea...

Absolute Zero likes this.
  6. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Some further notes about my work above: I think I didn't make it clear that part of the story about it is that my nemesis is me of the past. I used to be a villain (specifically I used to be Chaotic Evil while under the impression that I was Lawful Good, which is a terrible person to be (btw I don't know what I am now and I make no assumptions of myself, but I'm trying to be a true hero)), and I used to be weak in many, many ways (which somehow makes me a powerful villain against myself). So my nemesis as mentioned in the last line is me. I was deliberately mimicking All Might's line near the end of My Hero Academia S1, speaking to his equal-and-opposite foe: "Hey villain, have you ever heard these words? Go Beyond, Plus Ultra!" as he gives more than his all for the people who need it (in my case, I'm the one who needs it: I am my hero, my villain, and my distressed damsel). There's also my mention of receiving a sacred torch as All Might says to his protege (except in my case, I'm giving myself the torch), and his declaration to his foe that "If you can withstand me at 100% then I'll force you to surrender from beyond that!". The same way that All Might is fighting his own injury and weakness and self-doubt at times, I'm fighting against every bad thing in me. I am so inspired by All Might, I am even smiling more and I personally credit him with pushing me to be less of a waste of carbon than I used to be.

Also there was a quick "my body is ready" hiding in there.

I may re-write, edit, add, and even perform this poem as a rap at some point. I'm familiar with my voice though, and I won't make a good rapper: I sound too nice.

~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

@VicTheJolteon I like your second poem even more the first, and I think you're pretty close to getting it in meter. Most of what you wrote there is in iambic step (mostly, and what isn't is easily tweaked because you already have word choice that has nearly-alternating bounce), but you have inconsistent line length. If you want some 1-on-1 of how to make your meter and step count more of a consistent, prominent part of your poetry, throw me a PM. I used to hate it back in English Class, but once I started to associate it with fun things like rap battles and being a warrior poet, I was that much more motivated to pay attention to my meter (I even do it casually in conversation sometimes).

~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

@ChocoChicken The chanting was exactly what I wanted, especially since you didn't hear the rhythm and meter I put into it, but you felt it yourself! Hopefully, like I explained in the spoiler, the parts I labeled dactylic you chanted as (without literally shouting, just putting in more verbal stress) "SHOUT say say SHOUT say say", while trochaic was "SHOUT-say, SHOUT-say" and iambic was "say-SHOUT, say-SHOUT." If that's what you did, then I feel very accomplished for conveying my intended meters well. And even if not, I'm glad it made you feel something in the words!

Dactylic x6: RIS-ing from NOTH-ing and STRIV-ing for GROW-ing cause
    Trochaic x4: SELF re-DUCT-ion MY de-STRUCT-ion
    Iambic x4: i'll FIGHT me AT hun-DRED per-CENT

That's what I was going for, and hopefully what you found.

#6 Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  7. VicTheJolteon

Eric
    (Vulpix)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽157.2
    My soul is a'lit with baleful Flames,
    It can no longer stand the endless Blames,

I say to myself
    And I say to you,

No more Games!

I've had it with the Hatred,
    And I've had it with Spite.

So we're going to try this again,
    And this time we'll do it Right.

8. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    There's a short poem that really ignited my appreciation for prosody and meter while I was looking for something aside from Haikus to do. Check out this page, the Wikipedia article for Cinquain and its sample poem "November Night". That poem (be it slightly imperfect) holds a special place in my heart. So I wanted to eventually do something similar.

Long article short: A cinquain has five lines of specific syllable counts: two, four, six, eight, back to two. Bonus points (like in the Wikipedia example) if each line has half its total syllables being stressed or un-stressed. Bonus-bonus points if the stress pattern is consistent. I did this more reliably here than was done in that poem: I was consistently trochaic (up-down) throughout, while the example poem was inconsistent (up-down, down-up-up-down, etc).

This poem is inspired by a conversation I had with @flareon71 yesterday about me having a manufactured but philosophical existential crisis. For all you know: I'm a bot. Worse than that, can you prove that me posting and seeming to interact with you is more than a jumble of static that happened to form the bytes that resemble human word choices in a .txt format? Speaking of human speech patterns, here's a short sample of me reading this poem to further illustrate what I mean by stressed and un-stressed syllables. Or is it just another random assemblance of bytes that happens to be MP3-readable? Also a pretty clear illustration of why I'm not ready to rap my previous poem.

Static.
    Random pulses.
    Seeming human patterns,
    shared hallucination I am:
    not real.​

flareon71 likes this.
  9. VicTheJolteon

Eric
    (Vulpix)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽157.2
    Some days I feel so Alone,
    Like there`s so much for me to Atone.

They said I was bad, they said I was Mean,
    But I was neither good nor bad, but somewhere in Between.

So I sit by Myself like some toy on a Shelf.
    With all the world Below Me,
    Wondering why they do not Know Me.

And as I sit,
    I begin to think about the the World before Me,
    And why they have such a narrow View of what is False and what is True.

Maybe the don't know the Truth,
    Maybe they are Unaware,
    And if so, maybe I could show them, show them the Way.

But I can't do that Here,
    I can't be held back by my Fear.

It is time to finally leave the Shelf of Myself,
    And for once and for all,
    It is time to finally rejoin the Squall.