1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl announced for 2021!

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Wizard, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,410.7
    As many of us have heard, the Sinnoh region is being brought to Nintendo Switch! Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl were announced in the recent Pokémon Presents broadcast, bringing an end to the speculation that the 4th Generation of Pokémon games was being remade.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming remakes? Will you be getting them?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,937.8
    I'm picking up Brilliant Diamond for sure! Even though everyone is griping about the art style, it reminds me of the The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    ZOOOOOOOOOM

SINNOH IS CONFIRMED!!!! pearl was my very first Pokémon game so i couldnt help but feel excited when i was the trailer on the direct...... like WOW the games that introduced me to the franchise got remakes after 15 years!! oh my god im old. obviously i have a mess of thoughts that bounce around in my head like the dvd logo so RAMBLE TIME BASED ON WHAT IVE SEEN

THE GOOD!!
    • visually speaking the games look FANTASTIC with all the little details!! the pokemons shadows move!! the way the lake shines and the lights in jubilife city give so much atmosphere!! these are definitely hd games
    • the music playing in the trailer sounds pretty pog so far...... i will die on my hill of oras being fantastic orchestrations of the original games music (COME AT ME HATERS) so even based on the opening two songs im ready to jam to some great sinnoh tunes
    • ITS NOT LETS GO WE DODGED A BULLET THERE
    • the animations in battle look nice!! i have never played swsh so i dont know if theyre just reusing animations but to someone who hasnt played a game past gen 6 i like them
    THE NOT SO GOOD!! (oof)
    • of course i have to bring up the art style. i found links awakenings art style to be absolutely adorable and cute and i love super colorful environments!! but something about seeing a mainline Pokémon game in this style rubs me the wrong way?? dont get me wrong the game looks stunning thus far but i cant help but feel a little disappointed when i saw that the sword and shield engine wasnt being used and we get some fisher price little people instead. "wtf skittle u spend all ur time talking about how much u gen 6 and that had a chibi model style why are u a hypocrite" because its just my hot take but the gen 6 chibis had a certain style and personality to them...... its so hard to explain but maybe the bdsp chibis are TOO small and the faces strike me as a little odd. the in battle character models are better and were more akin to was i was expecting but even then they feel a bit...... plastic-y?? i play Pokémon masters, a mobile game, and their models for dawn and barry are superior imo. ofc the art style is subjective but so far i cant say im particular excited about the chibi shift
    • the battles look very inspired by lets go. Mild Concern Is Now In Effect
    • the fact that these games are (assumed) ONE TO ONE REMAKES. "wtf skittle whats the difference between hgss oras and bdsp theyre all remakes ur stupid" not really. hgss and oras are more of REMASTERS: hgss took elements from its third game, crystal, and oras took elements from its third game, emerald (sans juan im still mad about this 6 years later). with remasters, we got some new storylines (eusine and suicune in hgss to name one, and the entire delta episode aka the PEAK OF Pokémon STORYTELLING in oras) and my personal favorite part of remakes, the brand new characters designs!! but here its just the dppt designs but now theyre fancy models. im going to say it and i dont care who hates me, but oras are my favorite games in the franchise because i absolutely ADORED the way they remastered hoenns story to click in place with gen 6 with the PEAK OF Pokémon STORYTELLING and mega evolution yadda yadda stuff. but if bdsp are faithful to the very core?? we wont get any new stories, banging new character art, and elements from platinum. theyre just gonna be diamond and pearl on the switch with a VERY fancy coat of paint

"wtf skittle ur not good list is an essay stop complaining ur like those twitter people who cant ever stop griping" to be clear im really excited for these games!! but something about both the way theyre presented (as of now, things can change and im very aware the footage shown may not be final) and the precedent oras set for me as what a REAL remake should be and offer in terms of player experience, im cautiously optimistic. and cautiously pessimistic!! lets just say im cautious. if these games manage to quell my fears as more information gets fed to us?? sure i'll bite and relive my first Pokémon experience on shining pearl because im legally obligated to as my first game was pearl. but if the games dont justify their 60$ price tag?? i still have my cartridge of pearl so i can simply keep playing whats essentially the same game: just on a different console

4. Captain Comet

Captain Comet Fallen Star Baby

Shiny Space
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,549.0
    Basic Gary Oak ★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Jaw Fossil ★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I've grown more accepting of them as the day drew on, but this reveal still kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. It looks to be literally just Diamond & Pearl in HD. Which is a major disappointment considering past remakes have been treated as basically entirely new games. I can't help but feel this is a bit if a reaction to SwSh's backlash. Like "well everyone hated those, so let's just give them something they love again" instead of reimagining the Sinnoh games. And yeah the toy people look really weird. I'm going to keep an eye on them as the year goes on and hope to god they win me over. I want to like these games. But since I have yet to even play the Sinnoh games at all, just having them on Switch isn't enough to excite me. I really can't stress enough how much this looks like the originals. The top-down perspective and way the world is built completely ignores everything from Gen VI on. You could argue it even ignores Gen V's graphical enhancements because of its killer camera angles. Even the freaking logos are literally just the originals with a glittery boarder.

Honestly, I'll probably get Brilliant Diamond anyway. If these are just straight remasters of the original games, they'll still be good games. Just stuck in the past and a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I just hope that this doesn't become a normal thing. If the eventual Gen V remakes look like this, I might have to shoot something.

5. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I'm so excited, more excited than I was for sword and shield, though having a switch might be part of that. but I'm excited to see what they have done to the story of the original games. I've seen some people worried they won't have done anything, but I have trouble believing that will be the case. The trailer is designed to appeal to the nostalgia to build hype. Tweaks and changes will show up later most likely. Even the Fire and Leaf remakes added new content to the game, and they did little to change the original plot.
    Regardless, Diamond is my origin in the series, and I can't wait to return to my in region hometown of Solaceon.

6. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    um. it looks okay. thats all lol

okay so it looks...... good?? but also not???? like the atmosphere is killer the lake scene in the trailer looked mindblowing and made the style of the overworld look better (more on that later...!!) and from the two (2) tracks we heard in the trailer the ost seems to be a good ride overall!! but thats all i can really say good for now??

okay its later!! lets talk art style!! its uuh, Very cheap looking,, i dont even mind the chibis i think theyre kinda cute i just hate how plastic-y and playmobil esq they look when it comes to color and shininess based on what we have rn..... the overworld art style is alright but the charas are def gonna have to grow on me!! so is the whole art style even for promo art..... dawn be lookin like a plastic toy

but my main concern is that theyre going for a TRUE remake aka 1:1 no nothing diamond pearl with new paint. and i dont want that!! i think theyre at least going to add some small things that werent in d/p because + - porygon z is in the game and so is the npc in floroma who gives u the gracedia in platinum   but otherwise until we get a statement regarding it if its really a 1:1? just play platinum it does what the ogs did better and has that retro sprite stuff we all love!! also please add the rest of the gen 8 dex i beg ALSO BATTLE FRONTIER but not dlc like me and a friend said and now i fear the worst

tho one thing ill say is that im actually kinda happy pokeco is starting to outsource games to other developers! would i have liked their first expedition outside of gamefreak NOT be the most anticipated Pokémon game in modern history? abso fucking lutely but if it allows gamefreak to focus full time on legends without having to be forced by pokeco to make a holiday deadline then its a fair trade off i guess.... kinda salty they picked this game but w/e im a shill for pkmn take my 60 dollars lol

tldr: feelin weird my dudes!! hoping theyre not remasters instead of remakes is all. just justify why i should spend 60 dollars on this game instead of 40 for platinum is my standard lmfao

#6 Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  7. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    I'm looking forward to finally being able to visit the Sinnoh region and seeing how much it doesn't live up to the hype! Although I'm honestly not sure which version I'll be getting as I don't really have a preference between Dialga or Palkia and I'm not sure what the other version differences are.

8. Darkmaster006

Darkmaster006 PKMN Breeder

Airi
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 48
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,894.9
    i'm just gonna say the overworld chara sprites looks awful, simply ugly and emotionless and they don't move and why didn't they go with the shield/sword engine or the let's go engine???? those looked CUTE and more realy and just adorable and just... better. the lightning is also AWFUL, just compare it with lge-lgp and you'll see what i mean, these are vibrant while the remakes look... dull and dark??? the sprites look plastic, like chibis from those mii tennis wii games and they look... ugly... the art style is worse than lge-lgp even the buildings the grass everything... like, totally disappointed, i'm just really disappointed.

arceus, though, looks really cool and if they finally make a good open-world, it'll be great. i feel like they'll make it shitty in some way or another, but well, it's gonna be an open-world at least... right?

9. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,410.7
    My biggest hope for these titles is that we get a strong amount of postgame content. Since they are going so similar on the remakes, they should at least be including all of the original content and then some. Unfortunately, I'm not certain they are going to do that. Either way, I've already pre-ordered and will likely play and enjoy the game anyways.

10. Darcy

Darcy Strongest Blade in Valor

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Philosopher's CowlPsychium Z ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    Late on the draw on this, but I’ve been thinking about these games a fair bit today. I have several opinions.

Firstly, the art style. I’m not super wild about it. I’m not one of those people who look at the graphics and say: “worst game ever, case closed.” I think the wild areas in SwSh look worse than the footage we’ve been shown so far. I do wish it was more in the look of Pokémon Let’s Go/SwSh because I think the trainer models in battle look really cute. Though I don’t really like the chibi look of the characters, everything else I think looks good. I’ve always liked the top down feel of other Pokémon games and think the pop up book sort of look the Gen 4 games had really charming.

What I was hoping for primarily in these games is improvement to the technical issues that they had; namely, slow ass battles and movement speed. Fortunately it looks like I’ll be getting my wish. Everything looks sleek and quick. I think those improvements will increase the playability of these games for a lot of people. I know that they were the reason I found Platinum hard to get through at times.

I do wonder how they’ll handle the difference in story between these games. If I were to guess it’ll be a similar approach to what ORAS did: a bit of a fusion between Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald, with a dash of new content. I hope that they bring back the story beats that were added in Platinum to these games, or at least allow you to visit the distortion world.

I think the only thing that may make me dislike these games is if they carry TRs over into this game. Please let that be a sin only for SwSh to commit so I can live in peace.

11. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I'm over all excited for them but also a bit nervous. Either way I plan to get both games.

Darcy likes this.
  12. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    While I'm not super hyped for these games I'll still get them because I had a lot of fun playing the original so i hope I'll still have fun with these. Even if is remakes of DP I do hope they'll include some things from Platinum like the Battle Frontier. But since they didn't do that in ORAS I'm not really having high hopes of them doing it in BDSP either.

13. Auron

Auron Ruin Maniac

Magnemite
    (Magnemite)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽73.6
    Honestly in my opinion I think for BD/SP they should have done a sort of Character model like for the Overworld in OR/AS for (Example[​IMG])

Darcy likes this.