1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by Kecleon, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    After the incident on Cinnabar Island that led to the creation of the devastatingly powerful Pokémon, Mewtwo, one would think that Team Rocket would defer from ever attempting to play Arceus and forgo any more attempts at creating the ultimate Pokémon through messing with the DNA of Pokémon. However, after news reaches them of the successful DNA splicing attempts from Team Plasma, they decide to pursue the creation of an ultimate Pokémon once more, one that would only bow down to Team Rocket, and Team Rocket alone.

Many attempts were made at splicing the DNA of certain Pokémon with the DNA of others, with most subjects perishing after the transfusion due to the conflicting DNA clashing with itself. There were successful fusions, however. Pokémon that managed to stay alive with their genes fused with those of another type of Pokémon, being reflected by having their individual anatomies permanently warped, and having access to both the strengths and weaknesses of their acquired genes. These successful subjects, known as "The Spliced" by the researchers involved, are kept under constant suspended animation, the fear of another incident like that on Cinnabar Island keeping the researchers paranoid about the power behind their creations.

But when the same mistakes are made, fate determines that history is bound to repeat itself, and soon, the world will be introduced to a new kind of monster, whether it's ready for them or not.

Based on a fanfiction I read several years ago that I fondly remember reading and loving. (Which you can check out here if you want.) This RP will feature a ragtag gang of Pokémon hybrids as they struggle against Team Rocket, as well as a world that can't really comprehend their existence. If that sounds fun to you, then I hope that you will be interested enough to sign in and check it out!

Sign-Up Sheet:

Name: (Your character's name, obviously.)
    Base Pokémon: (Following the research of Team Plasma, Team Rocket has spliced DNA into living Pokémon, rather than grow them in a tube, like Mewtwo. Your character was something beforehand. What was it?)
    Spliced DNA: (What kind of DNA was introduced into your character's body? The possibilities are endless. Go wild with your ideas!)
    Description: (What does your character look like? Your character should have between 20% to 50% of their appearance to have changed to that of the introduced DNA. What parts of their bodies have been altered is up to you!)
    Personality/Backstory: (How does your character act? Where did they come from? How did they act before they were experimented on by Team Rocket? And how are they now? Don't be afraid to get really descriptive here.)
    Battle Info: (Your character is allowed to have up to 6 moves, 3 from each of its DNA pools, and 2 abilities, one from each DNA pool, but only one hidden ability is allowed. While not necessary, you may explain how well your character can use each of the moves from its spliced DNA, if at all.)

[​IMG]
    Name: Auron
    Base Pokémon: Golduck
    Spliced DNA: Magmar
    Description: His face and head are mostly the same, except his crown of spikes on his head are replaced by flame-like protrusions. He has a yellow coloring from his stomach down, in a fire-like pattern. He has spikes protruding out of his back, and his hands have five fingers instead of their normal three, though they still have webbing between them. A bright flame burns at the end of his yellow tail.
    Personality/Backstory: Once, he was a very carefree Golduck, living in the marshes of the Safari Zone, just happy to watch the world go by. This all changed when he was suddenly jumped on by a Team Rocket grunt, and shipped back to headquarters. He was then subject to an experiment to see if they could artificially recreate the Fire/Water type duality that has only been seen in the legendary Volcanion. Unfortunately, this only worked partially, as while he survived the initial procedure, and he can use Fire attacks now, any attempt to use Water attacks will cause him intense pain. Furthermore, any attempt to enter the water will also cause him severe pain. Considering this used to be one of his favorite pastimes, he slowly grew more bitter and reserved, considering himself a freak of nature and wishes for nothing else but to reverse the process that caused him to be this way.
    Battle Info:
    Abilities: Cloud Nine & Flame Body
    Moves: -Hydro Pump
    -Amnesia
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Flamethrower (Since Flamethrower is so similar in application to the Water moves he's used all his life, he has no problem with this move)
    -Fire Punch (Again, due to how simple it is to use the move, Auron faces no issues using this move)
    -Smokescreen (This is the move Auron has the most difficulty with, as his body has trouble dealing with the smoke it creates and using it as a move without choking on it)

NPC Sign-Up Sheet:
    Name (optional): (It's not necessary to give your Pokémon an actual title, since Team Rocket will just call it by either its subject number or its base Pokémon type, but it never hurts.)
    Base Pokémon: (The base Pokémon, before it was spliced.)
    Spliced DNA: (The Pokémon DNA your character is spliced with.)
    Description: (Your character's appearance. Remember that 20% to 50% of its appearance has to resemble that of its spliced DNA.)
    Personality: (How does that Pokémon act. Smug? Angry? Timid? Take your pick.)
    Backstory (optional): (Again, since we won't be diving too deeply with most of these Pokémon they don't exactly need a big backstory. But again, if you wanna add one, that will only help.)
    Battle Info: (The Pokémon's moves and abilities, as described previously.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Nova Ozuka and Jeydis like this.
  2. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    I've had my eye on this thread for a couple days and I haven't roleplayed in years but this sounds super neat, so I'll give it a shot.

Name: Shale* (Ex-300-02)
    Base Pokémon: Flygon
    Spliced DNA: Volcarona DNA
    Description: My husband drew an amazing picture of my concept (after seeing my rather sad attempts)
    [​IMG]

Backstory: Shale, aka Ex-300-02, was simply a precursor to their intended experiment. For as long as scientists have known, Pokémon could only possess two types. However, with Team Rockets recent advances in splicing, an idea was proposed. Would it be possible to create a Pokémon with Three types? Such power could be immensely useful. Especially if an already powerful Pokémon could be given a third type. At first, scientists sought to capture the enviable dragon of dragons, a Garchomp. With one they could create a powerful dragon that could even rival Cynthia's.

But first, they needed a test before the test. Three Pokémon were procured. Two Trapinch and a Gible. Before they even had time to learn anything, Shale was snatched from her home in the desert and taken to a lab, where she met another Trapinch and a Gible.
    As the scientists theorized, they would be the same type, so hopefully the Flygons would prove good test subjects and precursors to the Garchomp. The Flygon's were deemed 'less important' then their ultimate goal, Garchomp. Or, as they so aptly called them, the poor man's Garchomp.

The three were raised in captivity as siblings, forced into harsh training intended to force them to evolve as quickly as possible. While they were otherwise well cared for, their life was harsh and filled with much fighting. Shale's only comfort were the rare moments she spent with her siblings.

When the time came and they were all fully evolved, she was afraid and hid, and her sibling Flygon ended up being taken first. She never saw him after that. Some time later, they came for her. They attempted to blend her with a Volcarona, an already powerful and rare Bug/Fire type. The results were... somewhat succesful. Flygon survived, for starters. Unfortunately, the process was otherwise a failure in the scientists eyes. She was seemingly unable to use any attacks, and the scientists were unable to confirm what type she actually is. She is now slated to be destroyed, so they can attempt again.

Personality: Her time in captivity changed her. She is meek and nervous, and is somewhat cowardly. The time she spent fighting gave her a temper though, and she can become aggressive. Her greatest regret is the cowardice she showed during captivity, as she feels she was unable to save her siblings.

I kinda went ham on the backstory whoops

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jeydis and Kecleon like this.
  3. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    @Flyg0n72

Very impressive character, with a neat picture to go with it! And honestly, I don't mind extra backstory. The more, the merrier, I always say.

Accepted

4. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,471.2
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I didn't see this thread until today. I would've shown up sooner if saw this earlier... my bad.
    This looks very interesting, so I hope I'll be able to join.

Name: Benison

Base Pokémon: Hitmontop

Spliced DNA: Kirlia DNA

Description: Benison's Hitmontop physique stayed mostly the same with only a few physical changes. On each side of his headnext to his center top, are flat, red horns that resembles that of a Kirlias. These horns are slightly smaller than his top. His upper body is slightly thinner than a normal Hitmontop's but his width is now replaced with a small skirt that matches his regular brown skin. Both of his 'ball' hands have gotten thinner and replaced by actual hands which are capable of grabbing objects. All blue parts that would normally cover a Hitmontop are replaced by a shiny green, but both his feet spikes and tail spike stayed white.
    (Image provided by Jey, our friendly giant.)
    864090DA-E1E6-45DF-8F59-745A4D3C1C63-25022-000021BFA33061E8.png

Personality/Backstory: Benison was one of Team Rockets many early experiments, never really intended to succeed, but rather be used as a test to see if the experiments were possible. Before all of that, Benison was a happy top. Roaming around and dancing away at all of lifes problems. Eventually he got caught by one of Team Rockets many grunts, and taken to their lab to be used in their experiments. His memories of being inside the lab were very fuzzy to him, only remembering the excruciating pain of their tests, and lonely isolation. Every day, they would run tests on him, then leave him in a cage in the dark back room once they were done with him. One day after another, filled with never ending test was nothing but torture to Benison, until eventually he was subjected to their real experiment. Once they spliced his DNA with that of a Kirlias, his body was in agony during the whole process of psychical transformation. Every muscles and bones were in pain as different body parts changed and formed into newer shapes.

To the scientists surprise, he had survived the procedure, and was immediately sent away to run more test. For the life of him, he could not remember their tests, but he did remember the severe headaches. It seems like the new red horns on his head were able to allow him to use psychic abilities, and Team Rocket wanted to know how much power he really had. Every time he would try to use his new horns, the alien energy would all flood to his head and cause terrible headaches. At first, he had absolutely no control, and it would only caused him nothing but migraines, until eventually, Team Rocket was able to force him into picking up a pebble with nothing but his new powers. He was able to lift the small rock, albeit only a few centimetres off the ground.

He had found other occurring issues with his new DNA. Due to his Kirlia DNA, he now had a much bigger urge to dance around whenever he's left alone. Which is not a big deal to him, but it was much more difficult to due to his new horns and skirt. And while the skirt was in fact shorter than a normal Kirlias, it still caused him discomfort, and made his spinning slightly more difficult, and his horns would cause him pain if he spun on his top the wrong way.

Before the experiments he was jolly and carefree, but his time in captivity have removed all of those thoughts from his personality. Now, he's mostly sad with only small traces of his jolliness when left alone. All the time in the lab in isolation with absolutely no other mons to talk to had caused him to grow slightly mad, wanting nothing more than companionship, and to get back at those who have wronged him.

Battle Stuff:
    Triple Kick
    Rapid Spin
    Close Combat
    Psychic (Although, right now, it causes him pain when he uses it. Needs to practice with it in order to get used to it)
    Future Sight (He can't use it now, but will be able to in the future. I literally only picked this because i just read in bulbapedia that Kirlia can see into the future, and I thought that was bad ass)

#4 Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  5. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    @Barandofl

Very interesting character. I have an interesting theory of how this Hitmontop character survived the transfusion in the early stages of experimentation, but I'll save that for the RP.

Accepted

6. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Might as well throw in a willing subject for a spin~
    Name: Altale (a.k.a. Al)

Base Pokémon: Ampharos

Spliced DNA: Espeon

Description: Altale is basically an Ampharos but with a branched tail like Espeon's and some recolors to match Espeon's color scheme: the black parts turning dark blue (like Espeon's inner ears) and the white belly turning lilac (like Espeon's body). Here's a sprite of her courtesy of @Jeydis:
    [​IMG]

One of Team Rocket's experiments on Altale was infusing some Ampharosite essence into her body, thus allowing her to Mega Evolve on her own. In her Mega form, she looks pretty much like Mega Ampharos but with two tails instead of one branched tail, the same Espeon recolors as her regular form, and the fluffy parts staying white.
    [​IMG]

Personality: Altale used to be a power-hungry Flaaffy who was more than willing to do anything to gain more power for the sake of her tribe. Feeling that her daily training sessions weren't adequate enough, she sought for more power from external sources to the point of purposefully getting caught by a Team Rocket grunt and willingly allowing them to experiment on her. Until then though, she had to face harsh, intense training sessions to evolve her into Ampharos as soon as possible.

Following her evolution, Team Rocket decided to infuse Altale with Espeon's DNA for whatever reasons, thus allowing her to talk via telepathy and read the minds of people and Pokémon alike. However, that also made her realize that most (if not all) of the experimental subjects there were basically kidnapped from their own families and friends. Touched by their plights, Altale decided to help those Pokémon to escape from their cruel fates.

Backstory: Like Benison, Altale was one of the earlier experiments done by Team Rocket. They originally wanted to splice a Mareep with Eevee's DNA, but Altale ended up being taken away because she protected the intended Mareep from abduction (hence "purposefully getting caught") and the Eevee whose DNA was supposed to be taken from accidentally evolved into Espeon right after Altale was brought to the lab, so they had to deal with their intended subjects' evolutions instead. Despite the fact that both Altale and Benison were spliced with psychic-type DNAs, she fared better than him due to her perseverance and the not-so-conflicting type combinations she had been subjected to.

Movesets:
    Ability: Static (as regular Ampharos), Mold Breaker (as mega Ampharos)
    Moves:
    • Thunderbolt
    • Dragon Pulse
    • Power Gem
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    Moves:
    • Psychic
    • Shadow Ball
    • Dazzling Gleam
    Totally not drawing inspirations from Uchiha Sasuke, lul. :v

#6 Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  7. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    @sanianisa

I like the character you've presented. Having a character who's content with their situation is fairly refreshing in an environment where practically everyone else is disgusted with themselves.

Before I approve this, however, I'd like to ask you what Team Rocket's agenda for Altale was. Your character doesn't need to necessarily need to know why they were experimented on, but I'd like to know why exactly they chose to splice an Ampharos with Espeon DNA, and what their initial endgame was with her.

8. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Like Benison, Altale was one of the earlier experiments done by Team Rocket. They originally wanted to splice a Mareep with Eevee's DNA, but Altale ended up being taken away because she protected the intended Mareep from abduction (hence "purposefully getting caught") and the Eevee whose DNA was supposed to be taken from accidentally evolved into Espeon right after Altale was brought to the lab, so they had to deal with their intended subjects' evolutions instead. Despite the fact that both Altale and Benison were spliced with psychic-type DNAs, she fared better than him due to her perseverance and the not-so-conflicting type combinations she had been subjected to.

#8 Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  9. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    @sanianisa

Yeah, okay, that seems to check out.

Accepted

10. Ignem

Ignem Dragon Tamer

Espurr ♀
    (Espurr ♀)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,201.5
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Is this open?

11. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Well, I hope so, considering there isn't any in-character thread of this RP yet.

12. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    Yeah, this is still open. I actually was about start drafting the first post of the RP, so you still have plenty of time.

13. Ignem

Ignem Dragon Tamer

Espurr ♀
    (Espurr ♀)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,201.5
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    I dunno if it will be approved, here goes.

Name: Hydro
    Base Pokémon: Greninja
    DNA: Charizard

Description: [​IMG]

Personality: Hydro was leading his best life in the wild. He was strong had a good amount of friends and family, good old house. That was till he was captured. He did not mind being captured. He actually wanted a strong trainer for him so he could actually be even stronger. But he did not know that he was getting captured for the experiment. After the experiment his whole body was in pain as it underwent changes, having wings, claws and tails come out.

When the pain faded he was confused, about what happened to him. He felt stronger for sure, but he did not know what was going on. He was unsure if his friends and family will accept him with this.

Abilities: Blaze, Protean.

Moves: Water Shuriken
    Night Slash
    Dragon Claw
    Flamethrower
    Air Slash
    Earthquake

#13 Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  14. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    @Ignem

This profile is fine, if a tad on the basic side of things. I will accept this now, since I'm working on the RP as we speak, but I would like you to keep in mind that you did just make another Fire/Water combination, just like Auron. So I would like to ask why Team Rocket decided to fuse those Pokémon together, and if it has any relation to Auron, since this could help shape the story around those two characters in particular.

Regardless...

Accepted

15. Ignem

Ignem Dragon Tamer

Espurr ♀
    (Espurr ♀)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,201.5
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    It is said in his back story he was a really strong Pokémon. But the combination typing fire and water i had not decided yet. He actually has no relation to Auron. If you want to add him in some of his friends or family back in the wild, no problem I think i can cook up a story for that. As for the reason for hybrid, i am saying they think starter Pokémon as really powerful so they decided to do one to see if it works then work on the others.

16. Flyg0n

Flyg0n PKMN Breeder

Mojave
    (Trapinch)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽365.8
    I have a thought regarding my character Shale, that the scientists didn't realize it yet because her powers haven't manifested, but she's actually Bug/Dragon. They failed to give her three types but they actually succeeded in changing her typing, and just didn't realize it. But I also see as something even she doesn't realize so her powers haven't developed at all yet.

Not sure if it might be relevant to include in your planning or something, but I figured I should mention it.

17. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
  18. Ignem

Ignem Dragon Tamer

Espurr ♀
    (Espurr ♀)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,201.5
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    @Kecleon352 can i give Hydro a custom ability or custom moves?

#18 Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  19. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,471.2
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Question will we using some sort of turn system for this RP, or will it the type where anyone can reply whenever they feel like it? Both have their pros and cons.

Whenever people can:
    Pros: No need to wait long, can post whenever you please.

Cons: Some of us who might be busy (with work or university), might come back to the RP about 20 posts later, loosing good opportunities.

Turn system:
    Pros: It's organized, and some people won't miss on any good opportunities.

Cons: Some of us who might be busy (with work or university), will most likely take a long while to post anything, which will force the other users in turn to wait for them.

There most likely more pros and cons, but these are just the ones that immediately pop up in my head.

SAF likes this.
  20. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    No, I'm not allowing custom moves or custom abilities. The Pokémon will have a combination of the movepools between the two Pokémon they were fused with, which I will allow up to six moves for them, if you are particular about that, and they will have access to two abilities at the same time, one from each gene pool. Only one Hidden Ability is allowed, however, so the other must be a base ability for the Pokémon.

Also, anime-style utilizations of moves are allowed, so you can still be creative with it.

I have faith that people will be able to try and post regularly, so I'm doing the "Whenever you can" system here. Of course, if anyone is going to be taking a while to post, I would like a heads up so I can plan ahead in the story without their involvement.

Ignem, Barandofl and SAF like this.