1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokémon: International Police Operations (Sign up and discussion)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by 122 Generation, Jul 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Nightmare Tala

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽16,899.3
    King's Rock ★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Darkinum Z ★★★★
    as promised I am here
    I really need help with the AP stuff as I am not sure if iim doing it right,

Character name: Kira
    Age (13-20): 16
    Appearance (Be descriptive!) Feel free to use an image, but don't let it do all the work.: http://fav.me/d69zvic
    Lately she had put her hair more backwards than showing her headband more, and her brown boots are replaced with black once's
    Hometown: Veilstone City
    Personality: A rude character, who often jokes around. But do not start messing with her team mates, as she can be very aggressive. Mostly due her past.
    History (Include a reason why your character accepted the International Police request): Kira was put into jail after hurting and abusing Pokémon to fight for her. However when she finally came free, they saw the potential that was inside her. After a long time thinking and spending mostly time at home, made her realize she didn't became more happier with being the way she acted. so she took a whole turn to change.
    Abilities:

You are permitted up to two Pokémon to assist you with operations.

Pokémon: Raichu
    Nickname (if needed): none
    Moves (choose strategically! You can use your moves outside of battle.) Thunder, quick attack, volt tackle, body slam

Pokémon: Magmorter
    Moves: Flame Thrower, Hyper Beam, Lava Plume, Thunder punch

abilities:

T1 - Designation © (1/3) Detect an enemy's weak points for a brief time for a better chance at weakening them. Increases critical chance by 10%.
    T1 - Disable (1/3) Disable a trap with a 30% fail rate (activate trap otherwise).
    T1 - Medical pack © (1/3) Heal yourself or an ally.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Hello again, Shady! Your form is nearly Accepted! You just need to fill in the slots (0/3) with which AP you want to spend on. I'll try to explain it by analogy of apples and baskets.

Let's take three abilities as an example.

Suppose you have three apples to represent your AP and there are three baskets each representing an ability - whereas the baskets can, for example, hold up to three apples.
    If you put one apple into one basket (1/3), you can use that given ability. Put another apple into the same basket (2/3), and that same ability gets an extra benefit. Once a third apple is added to that same basket (3/3), the basket is full and the ability gets full benefits.

You control where the apples go, so you can have three baskets each with one apple in it, or have a basket with one apple and the other with two. Really, it's all up to you to decide where the apples go. Also, you must show where you have allocated your apples.
    Make sense?

3. Pirate Captain

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽16,899.3
    Done
    <->

4. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    There we go. You're Accepted!

5. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Right, so here's how to do the logical inferences. If you need a refresher, refer to this link. Remember that I focus on modus ponens, modus tollens, hypothetical syllogism, and disjunctive syllogism.

I will supply you the appropriate argument form with a single premise, and you must deduce the conclusion based on the information given. For simplicity's sake, let's assume the premise or premises given are always true.

Here are two examples for you to work at.

Hypothetical Syllogism

Premise: If I spend 1 AP on an ability with (0/3) AP, then that ability has (1/3) AP.
    Premise: If that ability has (1/3) AP, then I gain that ability.
    Conclusion: Therefore, if I spend 1 AP on an ability with (0/3) AP, I gain that ability.

Modus Ponens

Premise: If I spend 1 AP on an ability with (0/3) AP, I gain that ability.
    You: I did spend 1 AP on an ability with (0/3) AP.
    Your conclusion: Therefore I have gained that ability.

Make sense?

6. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I see. Thanks for clarifying that out. And also, sorry for rushing with the Heartbeat Detector ><

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Not a problem, Catty! I thought it would make more sense if you had someone to give you the detector in the first place!

8. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    I am now going to introduce weapons (they will always be non-lethal, by the way) into the RP. I also want to note that no weapon will have an impact on your base attack stat, just to keep things simple. Also, we will assume that the taser and the laser projectile will have no limit to ammunition. You can always exchange weapons by request.

Taser: fires an electric shot to damage a target. 3% chance to stun upon a successful hit. 10% chance to stun on a critical hit.
    Laser Projectile: fires a particle of shock plasma. 10% chance to cut a target's defence to half for one turn.
    Ballistic Shield: a small shield designed for physical combat. Permanently increases defence by 10%. Upon a successful hit by an enemy: 5% chance to negate damage completely.

It might be a hassle to 'upgrade' the weapons, so I won't do that. The upgraded abilities should be enough.

9. Pirate Captain

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽16,899.3
    Sounds good to me

10. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Here is Mars' profile.

Name: Mars
    Appearance: well, she is practically the same Mars we know from Team Galactic with her iconic red hair. Consider she also wears a suit nowadays in the IP.
    Hometown: Unknown, but currently residing in Floraoma Town.
    Personality: Mars, at present, is quite the caring and mild-mannered girl, but she can be serious-minded when she has to. Unfortunately, Mars worries once in a while that in such circumstances her violent self would return to haunt her, and can momentarily transform her back to what she was with Team Galactic - which would make her extremely calculative, cold-minded, and aggressive. However, so far, that hasn't happened for a long time.
    History: a former commander of Team Galactic, Mars had been through a lot ever since Team Galactic's final stand at Stark Mountain. She had been on the run from the International Police for two weeks as one of their most wanted criminals, living and hiding in fear she would get captured. She virtually had no hopes of a second chance, or to even change to someone better. At least it was until a certain Pokémon Ranger helped her out and Mars managed to get the only second chance she so needed. In doing so, Mars managed to cleared of being a criminal at last. Afterwards, Mars had taken a liking to grow berries in Floraroma Town for a living.
    Over a year later, she was employed (not recruited!) by the International Police to help with their investigations, and has proved to be quite the talented police agent. Sometimes, even her skills with Team Galactic had its benefits in police work. After several hours in the organisation, Mars was reassigned to the IPI, the IP's intelligence unit.
    (You can read about how Mars got her second chance here. It's one of my best fanfictions of all-time!)

Pokémon: Purugly
    Nickname: none
    Moves: Body Slam, Fury Swipes, Hypnosis

Pokémon: Kangaskhan
    Nickname: none
    Moves: Outrage, Mega Punch

11. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I WILL TRY TO BE ONLINE..MY EXAMS ARE OVER BUT I AM GETTING LOADS OF WORK FROM SCHOOL THESE DAYS..I AM SORRY FOR THIS BUT I WILL TRY..
    (oops caps, sorry for it too..hehe)
    -Pokemist ^_^

12. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Welcome back aboard, Mist! Don't worry, I've got my share of work and schoolwork myself and I will be busier for the weeks to come! Word of advice (and I take it still), remember to keep a balance! I try to set aside like an hour out of my day to write fanfiction, even though I have tons of work too. But I totally understand your situation. :)

There's still one more spot for backup agent if anyone wants to join!

13. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    122 Generation likes this.
  14. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Now doesn't that look nice? Wow, at least you had time, heheh.

Alright, so here's what should have gone down in what happened in the part with the electrical bomb. You can refer to my example above from a previous post if you want.

Modus Ponens

Premise 1: If P, then Q.

Premise 2: P.

Conclusion: Therefore, Q.

What you should have done in the thread was state Premise 2 (P), and then stating the conclusion. 'Hime: in your case, just stating "the premise is correct" isn't really an answer, since the premise was true to begin with. What you or Shady should have said was...

Modus Ponens

Premise: If the bombs were made with destructive electrical energy, then they would be made in the Kanto Power Plant.

Your premise: The bombs were made with destructive electrical energy.

Your conclusion: Therefore, the bombs were made in the Kanto Power Plant.

Where the explanation comes in, as you clearly wrote out in the roleplay, is what you use to back up your premise and conclusion. I'll give credit to your explanations, though! Maybe even bonus XP for doing so!
    In fact, I awarded 'Hime bonus XP for inadvertently providing another argument and explanation.

I'll provide an example later, but for now, I want you to understand how formal logic works, such as the P-Q format of modus ponens. If you need help, refer to this link. In the future, I'll probably incorporate modus tollens.

15. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Okay, I think I got it. I'll try to give an example.

MODUS PONENS
    If Aire doesn't cook dinner, the group will become hungry
    Aire didn't cook dinner
    Therefore, the group will become hungry

MODUS TOLLENS
    If Azurill was stolen, then Azurill must be at the police station
    There was no Azurill in the police station
    Therefore, there was no Azurill stolen

16. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Ahahaha I wasn't expecting you to bring out your examples, but let's give it an evaluation anyways! XD

Let's see... for your modus ponens... sure, I'll grant you that. It's generally correct! Your form of modus tollens is also generally correct too. At first I nearly read your modus tollens as "not P", but that was an error on my part. Yeah, looks like you've got it down!

17. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Feels like I just accomplished a big thing in my life XD
    And I'm glad I finally figured them out! Thanks for evaluating them!

18. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Haha happy to help out!

However, to be honest, what I meant to say earlier is that there's no problem with your modus tollens formally. Your first premise for modus tollens is worrisome. "If Azurill was stolen, then Azurill must be at the police station." It needs clarity, but that's where your reasoning comes in. Formally and logically, regarding the P-Q form, there's no problem. But it might have issues, regarding who actually did the stealing.

But then again! You're just giving an example, eh? Here's how I would have put it.

If Azurill was initially stolen, then Azurill would have been recovered.
    Azurill was initially stolen.
    Therefore, Azurill was recovered.

If Azurill was recovered, then Azurill must be at the police station.
    Azurill was not at the police station.
    Therefore, Azurill wasn't recovered.

19. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Oh, right, I see the problem now. Guess I didn't think too much while I was giving an example. You were right, I didn't clarify the premise for modus tollens properly! Hopefully, this will remind me to make sure that everything sums up next time! Thanks a lot... uh, I actually don't have a nickname for your username, so I'm just gonna invent and say 'Gen' xD

20. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,332.2
    Glad to see how you're understanding it! Don't worry, this stuff with clarity, logic, modus tollens, etc. does take time to process - and thought for that matter. Did you know that this sort of thinking makes up basics of philosophy and logic? You can apply it in real-life too!

As for a nickname... suppose you can go with 'Gen'. I've had others call me 122G, or 1:22, but whatever suits you...