1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fanfiction Pokémon Moonlight Silver

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by WavePearl, Jul 29, 2016.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 19: A Burning Heart of Courage

...Come with me and we will see the wonders of the world!
    All of the glory, is in our story!
    Ash sang along to a blaring melody coming from his PokeNav headphones.

As we make our way to heaven, take it step by step
    And get the glory, upon the great stage!

We can go anywhere, so long as we're together
    I truly believe it with all of my heart...

"I hate to interrupt your performance, Mr. Teen Idol, but you may wanna watch your step." Brock cautioned, motioning to the narrow mountain pathway the group was on.

Ash shut off the Pokenav and stepped away from the edge of the path. "I'm glad to know you like that song, but you also need to focus on the road, especially in narrow places like this." Misty agreed.

"What's the name of that song, anyway?" Brock asked.

"'Glory in Our Story' by the idol group Triumph." Ash explained. "Most of their songs have an inspiring feel--even the sad songs have a note of hope in them."

[Aw, why'd you stop singing?] Tintri complained. [The echo around here made that song sound really cool!]

"Echo?" Ash asked, confused.

"We're in the mountains, haven't you stood at an echo point and called into a mountain or canyon before?" Misty asked.

Just then, the group heard a faint "Hello" echoing through the crags far off in the distance. "Also remember that the echoes allow a person to hear for miles." Brock explained before calling back "Hello!"

"There!" Ash called, pointing out a green haired girl in a red armor-like outfit climbing over the rocks in the path to reach the group.

Brock noticed the elegant dull brown bow and quiver full of red and gold fletched arrows on the girl's back and smiled. Love the arrow fletching--makes them look like little flames.

"Hello, travelers." the girl smiled. "Where might you be headed?"

"We were on our way to Azalea Town, but I don't know if I can go any further." Ash explained.

The girl smiled. "My name's Liza, and I take care of the wild Charizards here in the Charific Valley." She made a grand gesture to a large valley below the path the group was standing on, where seemingly hundreds of Charizards--as well as some Charmanders and Charmeleons--milled about. "Your route goes right through the valley, so if you want, I can take you down there directly so you don't have to wind around all these pathways."

"Sure!" Brock replied, more excited about Liza than seeing wild Charizards. Misty shot him a warning glance before he could gush about her, so he composed himself and thumbed through his guidebook to reach the chapter on the valley. "The Charific Valley--an ancient training and breeding ground where tribes of wild Charizards have lived for millennia. Trained Charizards often come here to learn from the wild ones so they can become stronger."

"Cool!" Ash gasped.

"It is distinguishable by its rock formation in the shape of a giant Charizard." Brock went on before looking up and seeing the formation in question in the distance.

"Can you take us down there?" Ash asked Liza. "Maybe my Charizard Blaze could learn a thing or two from his own kind!"

"Sure." Liza replied. "I'll give you a ride on my faithful Charizard, Charla." Liza offered before calling into the crags. "Here, Charla!"

The group watched in awe as a female Charizard towing a small coach-like vehicle landed before the group "This is Charla--she takes visitors to and from the valley." Liza explained before addressing Ash. "You said you had a Charizard of your own?"

"Yeah--his name's Blaze." Ash replied as he opened the badge case containing his Zephyr Badge for Liza to see. "I raised him from a Charmander, and he's won a lot of important battles for me."

[I see...I can smell his char on the badge you carry.] Charla purred as she sniffed the Zephyr Badge. [You can ride with your friends in the coach, or you can ride on your own Charizard.]

"I think I'll let you see my own Charizard..." Ash replied before heaving the Poké Ball containing Blaze skyward. "Come on out, Blaze!"

[You called?] Blaze sleepily yawned. [That Gym Battle had me beat!]

"How would you like to meet some wild Charizards?" Ash explained. "They live in that valley." he pointed out the sprawling Charific Valley below.

Blaze perked up at the mention of wild Charizards. [Sure! I'd love to learn some of the ancient ways of my wild ancestors direct from a tribe.]

He motioned for Ash to climb aboard. [Come on board, sport--even humans can learn from the ancient Charizard ways.]

"The lady Charizard is our guide, so you need to follow her down to the valley." Ash instructed.

Once Ash was aboard Blaze and Misty and Brock were safely secured in Charla's coach, both Charizards took off, Blaze following Charla into the rugged valley.

As Charla approached the valley, Misty noticed that the valley floor was dotted in millions of sparkling rocks. "Lady Cascade to Guide Fire, what are those rocks on the valley floor?" she asked through the communicator inside the coach.

"Lady Cascade, most of those rocks are special jewels called Z Crystals." Liza's voice crackled back. "They are washed from the ocean into the rivers in this area, and then deposited on the valley floor. Of course, normal jewels are washed up here too--so if you ever wondered where the jewels in Mega Rings came from, many of them came from right here."

She went on "The Charizards in the valley are wild, but Charla is a special one--she managed to bond with me. The wild Charizard tribes don't see humans that often, so we protect them from poachers and others that want to cause trouble."

"I see." Misty replied.

"But you guys don't look like the troublemaking type, so they should be fine around you." Liza assured her passengers. "The Charizard tribes have their own language and culture, so you may see that on display while you're here."

---------

"Here we are!" Liza smiled as the group landed at the valley entrance. "The Charizards train naturally without humans by battling each other, the intense competition making them some of the strongest in the world."

"You sure Blaze could handle that?" Misty asked Ash.

[Of COURSE I can handle it!] Blaze barked. [But first, allow me to meet the tribe, as it is not proper to battle immediately upon arrival in tribal lands.]

"Why not?" Ash wondered as he admired some Charizards sleeping, some sparring, some playing, and some females tending to some Charmanders.

[If you issue a challenge before you have formally introduced yourself to the chief and the tribe, the tribe will see that as a declaration of war.] Blaze explained.

Charla nodded in agreement. [So if you come in peace, you introduce yourself to the chief first, and declare your intention to train.]

It was not long before the group arrived at a large cave. [This is the chief's cave.] Charla went on. [Pyroc is a wise Charizard, but fair--if he believes you have potential, he will challenge you to battle himself.]

She then called into the cave in the Charizard language [Pyroc, creolna los het wa koraav hi]

The group gasped in awe as a huge Charizard emerged from the cave. [Aldoer, wanderer. What brings you here to the valley?]

[My name is Blaze, great one.] Blaze replied with a little bow. [I serve as the guardian to the krilkul that rescued me as a Charmander from a watery fate.] He gestured to Ash, who waved hello.

[Might I know your name, krilkul?] Pyroc asked.

"My name is Ash, Chief Pyroc." Ash replied as he bowed on one knee before the huge Charizard. "And these are my friends Misty and Brock."

"It is an honor to meet you." Misty replied.

Tá áthas orm bualadh leat. Brock replied in Gaelic, complete with a little bow.

A toothy smile formed on Pyroc's face. [You are a lovas, yes? There aren't many humans who know the Language of Song.]

"In Charizard tribes, lovas are singer-storytellers that pass down history and legend among the tribe." Liza explained. "They sing in what is known among the Charizards as the Language of Song, which Eire region Gaelic approximates.]

"So something like a minstrel?" Ash wondered.

Pyroc nodded [The lovas hold an important job in the tribe, krilkul, even greater than mine--and that is preserving our history and legends of heroes, so they are not forgotten.]

He the addressed Blaze and the others. [We welcome you all, as guests of our guardian Liza and the tribe.]

[So when do we start training?] Blaze asked.

[We will begin with the basics in the morning.] Pyroc assured Blaze. [Tonight, though, is a time of celebration to welcome you and your friends.]

[Understood, chief--it is rude to battle on the day of your arrival.] Blaze replied.

To Be Continued...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Interlude: Stories of Flames

The Charific Valley glowed brightly with the flames of Charizards and Charmeleons as the tribe welcomed Ash, Misty, and Brock to their ceremonial fire that evening. Even the Charmanders were darting about the valley floor, giggling as they wove through the three humans' feet.

As Liza arrived with meat and fruit for the tribe and their guests to enjoy, Pyroc stepped forward to address the tribe. [Hone, Keepers of the Valley! Tonight the Great Lord Arceus has seen fit to send visitors to our fire tonight!]

Cheers filled the air as a Charmeleon wearing a number of small rings on her claws and carrying a priest's staff approached the fire. [Great Arceus, we ask Your blessings on our fire this evening, and thank You for Your providence, shared with friends this evening.] she prayed before Liza put some meat over a cooking fire.

[While our dinner for the evening is being prepared, perhaps the human lovas wishes to share some of his stories?] Pyroc offered, noticing Brock tuning his guitar.

"You may want to hold off on the 'hero killing a dragon' stories, since you are telling for dragons, after all." Ash whispered as he toyed with a familiar silver tin whistle in his hands. Tintri was nearby, conversing with the Charmanders of the tribe.

Brock nodded, then started the first story that came to mind, aware all the while of Ash and Misty retrieving their own instruments as well. "Once upon a time, in a far away land, there was a small village named Kotan. It was a happy place--the people laughed and sang as they plowed their fields, and the nearby river echoed with the calls of the fishermen. The chief elder of Kotan was renowned as a fine archer and hunter, and was often spotted leading hunting parties into the nearby forest."

The Charizards listened as Brock went on over a somber melody. "One night, as the elder and his family were blessing the food they had gathered from that day's journey into the forest, some old blankets that hung in the window suddenly began to glow a strange blue color. The chief elder remembered an old story his father had told him when he was young--long ago, Kotan was plagued by bandits, and the people often went hungry because the bandits took all the food. One night, a mysterious sword appeared in the starry sky, and cut down all the bandits. The people believed the sword was a holy blade from heaven, but imagine their sorrow when the sword also killed and wounded many of their own as well. No matter how many times they tried to get the sword away from Kotan, it would always return to kill and wound more."

Fearful murmurs raced through the crowd of Pokémon at this. "Finally, the seven elders of the village cast a spell of sealing on the sword, wrapped it in blankets, and hung it in the window of the chief elder's house, where they hoped it would remain for all time." Brock explained. "As the chief elder looked on at the glowing blankets in awe, the house was lit up in a brilliant blue, but when the light faded, the chief elder noticed that the cursed sword had left its scabbard. Sure enough, the next morning, several villagers were badly wounded, and those that were spared pleaded with the elders to do something. As his fellow elders debated what to do about the cursed sword, the chief elder vowed he too would do whatever he could to protect his people from the cursed blade."

[So what did he do?] one of the warrior Charizards asked.

[Peace, Magnar--the lovas will tell us the answer.] the Charmeleon priestess assured the antsy Charizard.

"First he tried leaving it in the forest, imploring Celebi and Shaymin to watch over it." Brock explained, acknowledging the warrior Charizard and the Charmeleon priestess with a nod. "But when he arrived back home, it was hanging in the window again. Then he tried burying it deep within the ground, and still the sword returned. Next, he tried throwing in the river, in hopes it would arrive in the ocean, and Manaphy would seal its dark powers. But even that didn't work."

The audience of Charmanders, Charmeleons, and Charizards waited to see what, if anything, could stop the cursed blade. "Finally, the chief elder called together the other elders of the village, and they traveled to a local shrine, where they asked Arceus for some way--any way at all--to get rid of the cursed sword." Brock continued. "But even then, the cursed sword's reign of terror continued."

A hopeful grin formed on his face to assure the jittery tribe all was not lost. "The elders prayed for seven days and seven nights in all, and on the seventh night, Arceus appeared to the chief elder in a dream, commanding him to drop the sword from a rock into a deep pool many miles away, casting a spell of sealing as it sank."

He went on "The next morning, the chief elder told his fellow elders about his dream, and explained he was going to find the deep pool and the rock Arceus had told him about." Brock explains as he walks around the stage, as if he is the elder. "However, Arceus did not give the exact location of the deep pool, and it wasn't long before the chief elder got horribly lost."

Laughter filled the air at this. "Finally, just as the sun began to set, he discovered the deep pool nestled in a forest, with the rock overlooking it, just as Arceus had said." Brock explained. "He climbed the rock, and started the spell of sealing..."

With that, he sang Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...

Misty grinned, and silently urged Brock to continue the familiar melody, but Brock had other ideas. "But this was as far as he got when the scabbard started to glow--the cursed sword was awakening!"

Gasps went up at the turn of events. "The chief elder panicked at first, but then a Buizel appeared, saying he would awaken the Dragonair that watched over the pool, and she would help him destroy the sword." Brock explained, quieting the fearful chatter. "The Buizel dove beneath the water, and after a few tense moments, the waters began to churn, and the great Dragonair surfaced. The chief elder then heaved the glowing scabbard into the water, casting the spell of sealing as it fell..."

He then sang the complete tune. Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
    Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
    Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    Emusto koron zen fine, si...

When the last note died, Brock announced "The Dragonair of the pool fired a Hyper Beam at the glowing scabbard, destroying the sword for good."

The crowd of Pokémon exploded into cheers as Brock concluded "The chief elder returned to Kotan a hero the next morning, and the tale of his adventure is still told among the residents of Kotan today."

The cheers intensified as Brock took a bow. [Wow! You really are as skilled as you say!] one Charizard raved.

[Tell us another!] a Charmander pleaded.

Brock thought for a moment. "Long ago, a fisherman and his wife--we'll call her Maya--lived on a tiny island not far off the coast of Kanto. They fished for Seaking and Magikarps, and every week, they sailed to town and sold their fish. They were poor, but they had food, cresting waves, the bright blue sky and each other's company."

"Aw"s go up as the crowd of Pokémon pictured the heartwarming scene. "This would've been all well and good if Maya had not longed for a Miltank more than anything else." Brock cautioned. "Her husband laughed at her dream. Maya knew a Miltank could not survive on their tiny island, but still she longed for warm milk and fresh butter and cheese."

"Mm"s go up in agreement. "One day, as they were cleaning Magikarps on the shore, a tiny boat rowed toward them." Brock continued

"Mother, have you any fresh milk?" he called in character as a young boy.

"Oh," he sighed in a mimic of a young girl for Maya, "we have no such treats. We have only fish to offer."

As himself, he narrated "The young man accepted Maya's offer, and rowed to shore."

"What's the name of your little rock here?" he asked as the boy.

"Dew Island," he replied in a younger version of himself for the husband.

"The dominion of the Prince of the Sea," he gasped as the boy. "So you live in Manaphy's realm. You must have everything you need and more."

As himself, he narrates "Maya's husband admitted that he'd never heard of Manaphy before."

"Oh, surely you've heard of him," he giddily cries as the boy. "Manaphy possesses every imaginable treasure in his kingdom at the bottom of the sea. He is rich beyond compare, and anyone who treats him kindly soon becomes rich too. He's temperamental, though. Anyone who dares offend him is soon sorry."

As himself, he continues "Just then, Maya remembered the stories of Manaphy that she had learned as a little girl. The young men ate heartily and said farewell, and Maya started to daydream of Manaphy. By the afternoon, she had devised a plan."

"Ooh"s went up in anticipation of what Maya and her husband would do. "They rowed out with their net, and when they reached the deep sea, Maya started to sing songs she remembered from those bedtime stories of yore." Brock continued as he fished a pitch pipe from his pocket. "She sang Manaphy's praises, but she added a twist of her own. She promised she would give Manaphy a feather from both Ho'oh and Lugia if only he would give her a Miltank."

After blowing a B note to establish what key he would be performing in as Maya, Brock started singing as Maya in a nonsense language that sounded like Gaelic. But after a few verses of the song in B minor, the audience of Charizards eagerly joined in on the chorus:

Hi rì him bò hill ò bha rò hò
    Hi rì him bò hìrì ri ri ù
    Hi rì him bo hill ò bha rò hò...

When the last thud of Brock's foot signaled the end of the song, Brock continued as himself "That night, as Maya and her husband slept, a fierce storm blew up from the sea. By dawn all was calm, and when Maya looked outside, she could not believe her eyes. The most beautiful Miltank in the world stood upon her shore. From that moment on, whenever either Maya or her husband wished for something, it was theirs. Their little island overflowed with milk, and every net was always filled with fish. They grew rich, and so they built a large house to replace their tiny cottage. Before long they had even hired people to help them with their work."

He then intoned "But one Miltank was not enough for Maya. Her husband protested, but Maya was not satisfied, and so once more she sang, until 30 Miltanks lived on their island. But then Maya decided she wanted a bigger island."

"There's nothing to do but build a dam and pump out the sea," he joked as the husband.

"Though Maya knew her husband was kidding, she decided she would do just that." he explained as himself. "She loaded their boat with rocks and sailed to sea."

Ash retrieved his whistle from his pocket before Brock continued "A musician went along with her to entertain her, but he played his flute so beautifully that Manaphy and all the sea Pokémon rose to the surface to listen."

With that, Ash played "The Meowth's Call" for effect. "Maya, not seeing them, began to throw her stones into the water to build her dam." Brock explained when the applause for Ash's performance died down. "One stone grazed a Milotic's cheek and another hit Manaphy's head. Suddenly, Maya's boat was spinning and bouncing as waves rose up and foam sprayed over her. Manaphy rose out of the water."

"Why do you throw stones at me?" he demanded in a higher pitched version of Ash for Manaphy.

"Your majesty, forgive me. It was a mistake." he pleaded as Maya.

"And where is the gold and silver you promised?" he asked as Manaphy.

"Your majesty, every day they are scattered upon the waves of the sea." he explained as Manaphy

As himself, he continued "But Manaphy was beyond furious. He blew a wind so hard that Maya was tossed from her boat. She flew through the sky and landed with a thud on the island. When she looked up, she saw her tiny cottage and her husband wearing his ragged old jacket, sitting on the shore mending a net."

He concluded "It dawned on Maya that her tiny cottage and her loving husband were all she really needed in the world."

The crowd of Charizards roared with applause as the group bowed together...

To Be Continued...

3. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 20: The Fires of Love

The next morning, Pyroc led Blaze into a rugged part of the valley, where some of the warriors of the tribe had assembled. [Blaze, partner of a krilkul...] Pyroc began. [Is it true you wish to train here in the valley?]

[I do, great chief.] Blaze replied as Ash, Misty, and Brock looked on.

Pyroc nodded. [Very well..before we begin training in earnest, we will begin with a showcase of your skills, so I know where to start your training.]

He gestured to the line of warrior-Charizards. [These five are some of the tribe's best warriors--defeat them in a friendly match. You've met Magnar already...]

[I'm not going easy on you, suorra.] Magnar growled.

This angered Blaze. [How dare you call me a hatchling?]

[You have not lived in the wilds--only at a human's beck and call!] another one of the warriors agreed.

This angered Blaze even more. [I went with Ash because he did something great for me, and I wanted to do something equally great for him in return!] he protested. [I am more than a servant for a human!]

[Magnar, Scaldor, enough!] Pyroc commanded. [It is true that Blaze belongs to a krilkul, but he too is a Charizard like both of you, so treat him no differently from any of the other tamed ones that come here.]

Misty, meanwhile, was confused as Blaze and Scaldor began battling with Pyroc looking on. "Why would they be riling Blaze up like that?"

"It's a natural instinct of Charizards in the wild--to rile up tame ones so they can see the full force of the tamed one's power." Liza explained as Blaze heaved a Flamethrower at Scaldor.

[I have heard that when a lincesa like Blaze is sung to by the krilkul, one can evolve even further--is this true?] the Charmeleon priestess asked Pyroc as Blaze jumped to avoid a Dragon Claw from Scaldor.

[Yes--but the heart of the krilkul or krilmon determines how the tamed one will transform.] Pyroc explained as Blaze lunged to deliver a Fire Fang, but Scaldor took flight and knocked Blaze to the ground with an Air Slash. [If the human's heart is pure, so will the evolution be pure. But if one with an evil heart sings this song of power, so too will the Charizard turn black.]

Moments before Blaze could get back up and try to attack Scaldor again, a low tuba-like sound rang over the valley. "What was that?" Brock asked, curious.

[The war horns...] Scaldor replied as Blaze weakly got up. [We must go and help the other warriors drive back those that would overtake the valley!]

[But what about--!] Blaze protested.

[We will finish our fight later.] Scaldor assured Blaze before he flew off with Magnar and the other warriors. [I promise.]

"Let's go see what is going on!" Liza motioned for the group to follow her towards the valley center, where hundreds of the tribe's warriors spewed white hot flames at a horde of Onixes and Steelixes.

"I don't think Argent would be of much help..." Misty mused as a Steelix whacked away a Charizard warrior. Liza fired a flaming arrow to warn away a second one from approaching the wounded Charizard as he was taken to a cave designated as a medical area and a safe space for those too young to fight.

"I can help deflect an attack from the right!" Brock suggested as he took his own bow and prepared to fire.

Inspired, Misty heaved a Poké Ball skyward. "Come on out, Pearl!" she called, revealing an elegant purple starfish Pokémon with a large ruby core.

You called? the Starmie asked telepathically.

"Freeze some of Brock's arrows with your Star Freeze!" Misty commanded.

[Haaaaaaa-aaaaaaaahh!] Pearl cried as she fired a rainbow beam from her core, freezing the arrowheads of some of Brock's arrows.

"Thanks, Pearl." Brock grinned as he fired his first shot, knocking an Onix backwards.

As he readied his next shot, he saw Ash arrive with Blaze. "Blaze doing okay?"

"I took him to the medical cave, and he should be able to help--" This was far as he got before a huge Steelix broke through the fiery defenses. [Fall back!] Magnar called as some of the warriors rushed to engage the giant rock snakes swarming into the valley.

Blaze watched in horror as an Onix whacked Scaldor to the ground. [I have to help!] he told Ash as he flew off to battle, moments before one of Liza's arrows brought down the Steelix that had breached the valley. [You okay?] he asked as he landed by Scaldor's side.

[I think so...] Scaldor wheezed. [I'm going to the safe haven--can I trust you to protect our chief?] he asked as Pyroc brought down another Steelix.

[Leave it to me!] Blaze smiled as one of Brock's icy arrows brought down Scaldor's assailant.

Just then, he gasped in horror at a huge Steelix about to attack Pyroc. [Look out!]

Ash gasped when he saw the size of the Steelix Blaze was facing. There's no way Blaze would be able to take a Steelix that big...I have to help!

He didn't know where the words came from, but he found himself singing Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... making his chest and Blaze glow red.

The other Charizards, Liza, Misty, and Brock watched was Blaze was enveloped in a burst of red light. "H-how could Ash induce Blaze to Mega Evolve if he has no Mega Ring?" Misty gasped at the sudden turn of events.

"Ash's deep love for Blaze must've awakened his Heart Song, and allowed him to induce Blaze this once." Brock explained. "But in order for Ash to induce Blaze any time he wants, he does need a Mega Ring." He let that hang as Blaze emerged as a sleek bird-like Charizard with a pointed arrow-like head, thinner wings, and a thinner body better suited for fast flying.

[Ash! Be my eyes on the ground while I keep Rocky here away from Pyroc.] Blaze called as he flew to engage the Steelix.

"Okay!" Ash called back. "Watch out for that Thunderfang, and use Fire Fang!"

Blaze skillfully weaved around the massive steel snake that tried to bite him with sparking yellow teeth, then lunged to bite him with red hot fangs as he sped by. "Okay, now trap him with a Fire Spin!"

The other Charizards watched in awe as Blaze effortlessly flew around the Steelix, trapping it in a tornado of flames. [I don't believe it...Blaze and his krilkul are working as one entity!] Pyroc gasped.

He called to the other warriors [Everyone! Full power! The rock snake is trapped!]

---------

[I can't even begin to thank you for saving my life...and the life of the valley.] Pyroc began.

[Aw, it was nothing.] Blaze smiled. [I was only doing what any Charizard would do--the chief is the heart of a tribe--and without a chief to lead them, a tribe is helpless.]

A smile formed on Magnar's face. [Maybe you are wiser than you appear, Blaze.]

[My krilkul has taught me a lot.] Blaze replied. [But with the chief's permission, I would like to stay here and train.]

[I think the real question is, does your krilkul want you to stay here?] Pyroc asked, motioning for Ash.

"Blaze...if you want to stay here with the wild Charizards for a while, then stay." Ash assured Blaze as he choked back tears. "But whether you want to stay with me, or stay here in the valley, the choice is yours."

[I think it would be better if I did stay with the tribe.] Blaze replied as Ash tearfully hugged him. [I'll miss you, but I feel I can learn even more from my kin in the wild...although I'm only a whistle away if you need me.]

"Okay..." Ash replied as he hugged his friend for a teary goodbye....

To Be Continued...

4. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 21: Once Upon a Sunny Day

"Still miss Blaze?" Misty asked as the group made their way down the road. It had been several days since Ash had bid Blaze, his faithful Charizard, farewell at the Charific Valley, but at the moment, the harsh sunlight beaming down on the trio was the first priority.

"A little, but taking that scenic route allowed me to reflect on what memories we shared together, and I think Blaze is where he needs to be right now." Ash replied as he stepped over a branch in the path. "Besides, he's only a whistle away if I need him."

"I'll never forget when you first taught him to come to you when you whistled." Brock smiled at a memory as he wiped the sweat from his brow. "I'll admit this heat kinda reminds me of him."

"That's not a memory of him I'd prefer to remember." Ash giggled, a little embarrassed over the memory of being on the receiving end of Blaze's Flamethrower. "But I would appreciate something to drink...."

"Here..." Brock offered Ash a can of Fizzo. "It's not fresh water, but it'll do until we get to a river and refill our water bottles, or a PokeMart, so we can get some more water."

"Good thing a case of 36 is only 400 credits..." Misty agreed. "But for now, keep an eye and an ear open for a water source!"

Ash nodded, opened the can of Fizzo, and took a long drink before he heard water trickling in the distance. "Water!" he called, pointing out a leaking pipe gushing out water.

"Finally!" Misty made a beeline to the pipe, but stopped in her tracks when she saw a dull green haired girl in a straw hat arriving to fix the leak.

"Excuse me, but we ran out of water on the road, and we're not sure how far the next town is, so can you let us get some water before you fix the pipe?" Ash asked.

"Sure!" the girl replied, allowing Ash and Misty to get close and refill the group's water bottles. "This pipe is connected to my greenhouse's watering system, so it's safe for human, as well as Sunflora, consumption."

"Thanks!" Misty replied as Brock arrived to fill his share of the water bottles. "I'm Misty, and these two are my companions Ash and Brock."

"Hello there..." Brock smiled at the girl as he worked, at the same time trying to keep himself composed, aware that Misty would drag him away or one of her Pokémon would spray him if he launched into a romantic euphoria over the girl.

"Hi." Ash grinned as he offered Tintri some of the fresh water.

"Nice to meet you all." the girl smiled as she went to work fixing the pipe. "My name's Sonrisa--if you're looking for a town to restock on supplies and rest, my hometown of Bloomingvale is not far from here."

"Thank you for the offer, but where does the pipe you're fixing get to, if you don't mind my asking?" Ash wondered.

"It's part of a massive system of pipes that brings fresh water down from the mountains so I can keep my Sunfloras happy." Sonrisa replied. "Would you like to come to the house and see them?"

"Sure!" Misty replied.

Piqued, Ash consulted his Pokédex as the group followed Sonrisa up the hill. "Sunflora, the sun Pokémon. As the hot season approaches, the petals on this Pokémon's face become more vivid and lively."

---------

"Here we are!" Sonrisa smiled as she led the way into the greenhouse, where hundreds of sunflower-like Pokémon giggled and sang as they soaked up the sunlight and soft mist falling on them and the other flowers and plants.

"It's beautiful...and all these Sunflora look so happy." Misty smiled as she admired the rows of plants and Sunfloras.

"I keep them watered every day so that when the Sunflora Festival comes around every summer, the crowds love them enough for a prize." Sonrisa explained as she checked on a singing Sunflora, then adjusted the mist flow so the sunflower-like Pokémon wouldn't get too wet. "Other Sunflora breeders will try other things to keep their Sunfloras happy, like personal performers or training regimens, but as for me, I believe all you need is a little sun, a little water, just a tiny bit of fertilizer, and a lot of love--although they do appreciate a nice conversation too."

"I guess there's a grain of truth in talking to plants..." Ash mused as he admired a ring of exotic plants surrounding a clump of Sunflora.

"One of the events during the festival is a Lore Stage--the Sunflora especially love hearing the different storytellers that come from around the world to perform."

"I plan on performing in the Lore Stage, so mind if I practice some of my material on them?" Brock asks, concerned over a Sunflora in one pot that frowned.

"Let me try telling a joke or two to cheer that sad Sunflora up!" Ash suggested before asking the Sunflora "Where did the Meowths go on their field trip?"

[Where?] the drooping Sunflora asked.

"To the meow-seum!" Ash replied, to a vocal rimshot from Brock.

While all the other Sunfloras, Misty, Tintri, and Sonrisa howled with laughter over Ash's corny joke, the drooping Sunflora sighed. [That was funny, I guess.]

"That was a pretty good joke, Ash!" Misty giggled. "Try another one!"

Ash thought for a moment, then asked the drooping Sunflora "Did you hear about the mummies who went to the theater?

[No, what happened?] the Sunflora asked.

"They gave the actors stage fright!" Ash announced, to a vocal rimshot from Brock.

The other Sunfloras howled with laughter, but the drooping Sunflora only sighed. "Maybe we need to try something besides jokes..." Sonrisa mused.

"How about a song?" Brock suggested, reaching for his guitar case.

"I appreciate the thought, but it's getting late." Sonrisa replied, pointing out the sunset overhead and the yawning Sunfloras as they closed up for the night. "Maybe Sunny will perk up if I bring her to the Lore Stage in the morning..."

"Oh, so that one's name is Sunny..." Misty mused.

"Worth a shot--I think she would like what I have planned to perform." Brock agreed as the group departed.

---------

"...and they all lived happily for a long time, proving that one hour of joy dispels the cares and sufferings of a thousand years." a girl concluded her story as the crowd in the Bloomingvale Town square applauded.

"Let's see how the Sunfloras liked that story..." the Lore Stage host announced as a group of Sunfloras smiled over the story that had heard, but their combined happiness only filled a rainbow icon on the scoreboard halfway. "They seemed to like it, but it's not enough for a stripe."

"Here we go--Brock's the next one to perform." Misty smiled, giddy over seeing Brock's first Lore Stage performance.

"He should have no trouble if he is as good as he says he is." Sonrisa assured Misty as the stage was cleared for the next competitor.

"Number K-93098, performing the tale 'Kitsune and Moltres'" the announcer told the crowd as Brock made his way onto the stage.

"Break a leg, Brock!" Misty called. Ash whistled in agreement.

Once all was quiet, Brock began "Once upon a time there was a king who had a garden, and in that garden stood a Leppa Berry tree that produced one crystal Leppa Berry every day. But when the time came to pick it, it somehow disappeared, and no one knew who took it or where they had taken it."

Intrigued murmurs wafted through the crowd at this. "Now, this king had three sons, and so one day he called them together, and told them that whoever could find the Leppa Berries, or catch the thief would inherit the kingdom after him, no ifs, ands, or buts." Brock explained. "So the eldest son--whose name isn't important--set out first on this quest, and after going a little ways, sat down under a tree, keeping an eye out for the thief all the while."

He intoned "That night, the firebird Moltres came flying, and you could see her fiery feathers gleaming from a long ways off; but when the eldest son saw Moltres, he was struck with both awe and terror at the same time, and hurried back into the palace as fast as he could go."

The Sunfloras and the crowd giggled as they imagined the comical scene. "The next morning, the Leppa Berry was gone." Brock continued. "By that time the eldest son had regained his composure, and packed his bags in hopes he could find Moltres. So the king gave him everything he could possibly need or want, sparing no expense."

Awed murmurs filled the air as the crowd imagined what the eldest prince could have received. "After the eldest son had gone a little ways, he got hungry, and sat down to eat his dinner by the side of the road." Brock explained, walking around the stage area as he spoke. "As he was eating, the wily Delphox Kitsune emerged from some underbrush and sat by him."

"Please, milord, won't you share some of your food with me?" he asked in a mimic of a young woman for Kitsune.

"Go get your own! This food's mine!" he snapped back in a mimic of Gary for the eldest prince, making Ash chuckle.

"All right, I will." Brock replied as Kitsune.

As himself, he continued "With that, Kitsune disappeared in a flash of fire. After the eldest son had rested, he set off on his way again. Before long, he came to a great town, and in that town was an inn, where there was always smiles and never tears. He thought it a good spot to rest for the night, and went inside. But there was so much dancing, music, games, food, and pretty girls to go around, he forgot all about Moltres, his father, his quest, and the whole kingdom."

"Ooh"s filled the air as Brock went on "The next day, the middle son decided to set out, but the same thing happened to him, and he too forgot all about Moltres, his father, the quest, and the whole kingdom."

"So what did the youngest prince do?" a girl asked as she held a balloon close.

"The next day, the youngest son--whose name was Brian--set out in search of Moltres." Brock replied. "After traveling for a while, he sat down to eat dinner, and just as he was about to dig in, Kitsune emerged from the underbrush and sat down by him."

"Please, milord, won't you share some of your food with me?" he asked as Kitsune again.

"Of course, Lady Kitsune--I'd be happy to share what I have." he smiled in a mimic of Ash.

Misty grinned. "No matter how many times Brock mimics you, Ash--it never gets old!"

"I'm still awed that he learned to mimic me after only hearing me once." Ash mused. "But then again, he's got the talent for it."

Back on the stage, Brock went on "After Kitsune had eaten and drank her fill, she asked Prince Brian where he was going. Prince Brian told Kitsune everything."

"If you will listen to me, I will help you, in return for your helping me." he offered as Kitsune.

As himself, he continued "Prince Brian promised to listen to Kitsune's every word, and so they set off together. After they had traveled for a while, they came to the same town and the same inn where there was always smiles and never tears. Kitsune told Prince Brian what his brothers had done, and what they were still doing."

"If you go in there, you'll go no farther. Understand?" he warned as Kitsune.

He continued as himself "Prince Brian told Kitsune that he understood, and the two of them continued onward, past the inn. When they had gone on a ways, they saw a huge hill way off in the distance."

"Three hundred miles behind that hill grows a gilded tree with golden leaves, and in that tree Moltres roosts." he explained as Kitsune, pointing off to the north for effect.

As himself, Brock continued "So they traveled there together, and as they approached the tree, Kitsune gave Prince Brian some whistling grass, and taught him a little melody to call Moltres--once Moltres heard the song, she would come and perch on his hand."

He paused to pick a suitable blade of grass. "But Kitsune also told Prince Brian to be careful to not touch the tree, for a fearsome troll owned it, and if Prince Brian touched even the tiniest twig, the troll would come and kill him right there."

Fearful gasps filled the crowd as Brock shaped the blade of grass into a grasswhistle. "So Prince Brian blew on the whistling grass..."

Misty immediately recognized the melody Brock played on his grasswhistle. "That's the Pidgeot summoning melody Arran uses in 'The Song Mage Chronicles'!"

"Oh, you guys like that TV show too?" Sonrisa asked. "Sunny and the other Sunfloras like it when I read the episode novelizations to them."

"Yeah--Jelan's my favorite." Ash replied. "He looks cool with a bow, and knows how to play a mean flute!"

"...but when he had gotten Moltres to perch on his fist, he accidentally brushed against one of the tree's branches. But this was enough to awaken the troll." Brock's voice snapped Ash back to the performance in progress.

"WHO IS IT THAT STEALS MY TREE AND MY BIRD?" he roars in one of his deep "monster" voices, to the screams of fear and delight from the children in the audience.

"Thieves think everyone is a thief, but the ones that die don't steal right." he snapped back as Prince Brian.

He interjected as himself "The troll realized that our hero had a point, and so he decided to spare Prince Brian."

"If you can bring me the Legendary shining steed Epona, which one of my neighbors has stolen from me, I will let you go free." he offered in a gentle deep voice, signalling that the troll is in a happier mood.

"Where is he?" he asked as Prince Brian.

'He lives three hundred miles beyond the hill that looks blue in the sky." he replied as the troll.

He narrated as himself "So Prince Brian promised to do his best. But when he met Kitsune, she was not in a very good mood."

"I'm very disappointed in you, milord." he scolded an imagined person as Kitsune. "Had you done as I had told you, we would have been on our way home by now. But as this was an accident, and you have both confessed this wrong and made a promise to make things right, I forgive you."

"Aw"s went up as Brock went on "So they went on their way. After a very long time they got to the hill in question."

"When you come into the stable, you will see many bits hanging on the stalls, some made of silver, and others made of gold." he explained as Kitsune. "Please try not to touch them, or the troll will kill you right there. But there is one bit that is only a humble iron bit--you are to take that one."

He continued as himself "Prince Brian told Kitsune he would do as she said, but as he was leading Epona from the stables, he accidentally brushed against a stray gold bit, which awakened the troll."

The audience braces itself for Brock to use his "troll" voice again, but Brock decides to narrate the next scene for the sake of time. "Just like before, Prince Brian appeased the troll with a bit of wisdom, and the troll made him an offer: if he could bring her Princess Chelsea, the most beautiful lady in the world, he would let our hero go free."

The children in the audience whispered with excitement over the mention of a princess. "Kitsune was even more annoyed this time, but forgave Prince Brian anyway, as this too was an accident." Brock assured the crowd. "So they set off anew, and after a long, long time they came to the hill where Princess Chelsea was."

"I know you were the one that promised to make things right, but for your sake, you must remain here. I will go on your behalf." he intoned as Kitsune.

He noticed the judges giving him a "hurry" signal, so he condensed some events to save time. "So Kitsune went inside, and returned with Princess Chelsea some moments later. After retracing their steps back the way that had come. When they came back to the troll who had Epona, Kitsune transformed herself into an exact copy of Princess Chelsea, which Prince Brian exchanged for Epona and a crystal bit while the real Princess Chelsea waited outside. When they got to the troll who owned the miracle tree and Moltres, Kitsune transformed herself into an exact copy of Epona, which Prince Brian exchanged for both of them while Princess Chelsea and the real Epona waited outside."

He then intoned "But not even Kitsune knew of the ambush that waited for Prince Brian. As they neared the town with the inn, she watched in horror as Brian was ambushed by his own brothers, put in a barrel and cast him into a lake, and his treasures taken from him. But Princess Chelsea wouldn't say a word, Epona refused to eat anything, Moltres didn't burn so bright as before, and the miracle tree wilted."

"That's not very nice!" a boy protested before his mother quieted him.

Brock quickly assured the antsy crowd "Meanwhile, Kitsune swam out into the lake as fast as she could, retrieved the barrel, and brought it on shore. Then she gently levitated our hero out of the barrel, assessed him for injuries, and assured him that even she did not know he would be ambushed, and so the whole ordeal was not his fault."

He went on "They went together to the royal palace, and when they arrived, Princess Chelsea smiled for the first time in several days, Epona whinnied for joy and eagerly gorged on all the grain and hay given to her. Moltres burned brightly again, and sang before the whole court..."

With that, he sang in a mimic of Misty Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
    Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
    Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    Emusto koron zen fine, si...

Applause went up as the last note drifted into the sky. "As the last note of Moltres' song rang through the palace, the miracle tree burst into bloom again." Brock went on as himself. "When the king asked to know how everything could have recovered in a matter of moments, Princess Chelsea replied..."

"This is he who set us free!" he explains in a mimic of Sonrisa for Princess Chelsea, to the real Sonrisa's delight.

As himself, he continues "So they planted the miracle tree in the royal garden, and Prince Brian received Princess Chelsea's hand in marriage. As for the two elder brothers, they were stripped of their claim to the throne and banished from the land, never to return on pain of death."

He concluded "The wedding was a grand affair, and it was all the more beautiful when Kitsune arrived to grant her blessings on the happy couple."

"YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHH!!!" the crowd cheered as Brock took a bow for the crowd. But Ash and Misty gasped when they saw a smile form on Sunny's face. "I can't believe it...Sunny's smiling again!" Sonrisa gasped.

[What an AMAZING story!] Sunny raved. [I wanna hear more, more, more!!!!!]

Sunny's renewed enthusiasm caused the scoreboard to display a full rainbow--a sign that Brock had won the competition! "Your friend has amazing talent!" Sonrisa raved as the judges arrived to pin a red stripe to Brock's vest.

"I know--and why we look forward to camping every night." Misty agreed.

---------

"I can't even begin to thank you for bringing Sunny's smile back." Sonrisa smiled as she set Sunny's pot back with the other Sunfloras. "Your story was just the encouragement she needed for tomorrow!"

"Even though we can't stay, just tell Sunny we wish her good luck in the competition." Ash replied.

Brock knelt down by Sunny. "I'm glad you liked my tale...I'll try and come tell for you again sometime, okay?"

[Well, when you do, I can't wait to hear what story you'll tell next time!] Sunny replied, to everyone's laughter as the sun set on a joyful day...

To Be Continued...

5. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 22: Tears of Emeralds

After bidding Sonrisa and the residents of Bloomingvale Town goodbye, the group departed in high spirits the next morning. "Well done on your first Lore Stage victory!" Misty raved. "I remember when you told 'Moltres' Song' to Ash and me when we first arrived in Pewter."

"Which seems like ancient history now..." Ash mused.

"It's one of my signature stories--and the theme for the Lore Stage was 'joy', so I felt it would work." Brock explained as he admired the red stripe between the cloud patches on his vest. "But I also know I have six more colors to earn, and if I do create a rainbow, I'll have a chance to perform before an even bigger audience--the Pokémon League."

"I want to see you do some more stage archery!" Misty suggested.

"Well, what you see on the stage takes weeks and sometimes months of practice to get right." Brock began before he spotted Lyra and Hana in the distance on the plains. "I see Lyra and Hana!"

Ash noticed a concerned look on Lyra's face. "Something's wrong--normally she and Hana are happy together."

"Well, let's go see what the matter is." Misty motioned for the boys to follow her to a shady spot, where Lyra was consoling a sobbing Hana.

"What happened?" Ash asked. "Why's Hana crying?"

"I wish I knew myself." Lyra sighed. "We challenged a trainer here on this plain, and although Hana won the battle, she seemed off...like she was holding herself back for some reason. I don't know if something else caused her to cry, or what, but I can't bear to see her crying like this. If only I knew what the matter was..."

"Did you take Hana to a Pokémon Center after the battle?" Brock asked.

"Yes...Nurse Joy thinks Hana may be depressed." Lyra replied.

"Although I'm no medical expert myself, I would be very careful against jumping to conclusions just because she's crying a lot and generally mopey." Brock cautioned. "Has there been any dramatic change in her appetite or sleeping habits?"

"No..." Lyra replied. "She has lost a little of her energy, but she doesn't feel worthless or want to hurt herself. In fact, she doesn't want to withdraw, but doesn't want to leave my side."

"It may be something totally different from depression." Misty mused.

Ash nodded in agreement. "Separation anxiety, maybe? Or just anxiety in general?"

"Maybe." A smile formed on Lyra's face. "She's been having a lot of nightmares lately..."

"Well, even Pokémon need to relax." Brock assured Lyra. "So if you've been pushing her a lot, take a step back and slow down a bit."

"If she's afraid, reward her for being brave!" Ash suggested.

"There's an idea!" Lyra smiled.

Brock, meanwhile, knelt down to Hana's level as she trudged away from Lyra's arms. "Is everything okay? Whatever's bothering you, you can tell us, and we won't laugh it off."

[Really?] Hana asked.

"Yeah..." Brock replied as he settled in the grass, still at Hana's eye level. "So, what's going on?" he asked as Ash and Misty joined him in the grass, with Lyra under the shade of a tree.

Hana sighed. [I'm both scared I'll let Lyra down one day, and a little jealous of Ash's and Tintri's friendship...]

"Okay, why do you think you'll let Lyra down?" Brock pressed Hana further.

[When we fought that trainer earlier today, I barely won against his Raticate.] Hana explained as she wiped away her tears with her leaf. [I don't want to see Lyra sad, and I really don't want to lose.]

She looked over at Ash. [Can I say that I admire and respect the bond you and Tintri have? I want a bond with Lyra that's that close.]

"So you admire my relationship with Tintri, but you're afraid of losing, which you think is letting Lyra down?" Ash asked, making sure he had heard Hana correctly.

Hana nodded. "Whether you like it or not, losing is a part of any Pokémon's life." Misty explained. "Despite all the preparation and training in the world, you are still going to lose sometimes.

[The reason why Ash and I are so close is we understand our strengths and weaknesses, and we respect each other's limits, both in the battlefield and out.] Tintri explained. [Even the times you lose have lessons you can learn.]

Hana pondered what Tintri had said for a moment. [I never thought of losing like that before...]

"Besides--battling's not the only thing you do well, Hana." Lyra added. "You're very friendly to other people and other Pokémon, and eager to explore."

[Okay...so how can losing teach me?] Hana asked Ash.

"Well..." Ash thought for a moment. "Losing can allow you to see the strategies your opponent was using, and how you can better defend against them next time."

[Okay...] Hana mused, now in a slightly better mood.

"Think of battling like playing music." Brock explained. "If you stumble over a wrong note, you don't shove the instrument back in its case, or close up the piano, and never come back to it for a long time because you think you're the worst musician in the world. You go back and practice the passage in question until you can play it well."

"Likewise, try not to beat yourself up over what you did or did not do in the match." Misty added. "Even when you lose, you still gave your all to win, right?"

[Yeah...] Hana replied.

"So you think about what you did well, and how to improve what didn't go so well, so you're ready for next time." Misty replied.

"Also know that I would never punish you for not doing well." Lyra told Hana. "That's never a good reason to punish anyone, and I will still love you, regardless of how well you battle.'

[Thanks, guys...] Hana smiled. [I feel like a big rock's been lifted off of me, so I can keep growing towards the sun!]

"Anytime." Ash smiled. "If you need someone to talk to, you can talk to Lyra or one of us." he assured Hana as Brock got up to retrieve the camp supplies.

Misty looked up to notice the sun setting. "Wow...we spent all day talking?"

"We probably needed to stop and rest after being on the road for the last few days." Ash explained.

[And I learned so much from our long talk.] Hana smiled as she romped into Lyra's arms, moments before Brock returned with the camp supplies.

Lyra smiled. "I can't thank you enough for talking to Hana today--I think she's back to her old self again!"

To Be Continued...

6. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 23: Counting on an Ally

"Okay, chili's done!" Brock smiled as he checked a pot simmering over the camp stove. "I have chips and the trimmings if you wanna make nachos with it." he explained, gesturing to nacho toppings strewn across a large rock near their temporary campsite.

"About time! I'm starved!" Ash eagerly hurried to the stove to receive his share, than hurried over to assemble the ultimate nacho platter for him to share with his team and Tintri.

Misty smiled. "I'll just enjoy the chili by itself today...besides, we have a lovely view in the Lanas Hills."

After handing off Misty's share of the chili, Brock reached for his guidebook and thumbed to the appropriate chapter. "According to the guidebook, the Lanas Hills are named for the many Mareep farms and Mareep herders that live in the area. There's also a town named Lanas Town, where a big festival honoring the Mareep is held every year."

"Sounds fun!" Ash grinned as he put a spoonful of sour cream atop the mountain of chilli, chips, cheese, and vegetables he had created.

Misty rolled her eyes. "Better to list what Ash DIDN'T put in his nachos than what he put in there..."

"I have to feed my whole team as well as me, so best to have a variety." Ash explained as he heaved his three remaining Poke Balls skyward. "Mina! Brenna! River! Lunchtime!"

[Mmm...smells delicious out here.] a small blue turtle Pokémon smiled as it tottled over to the massive platter.

[Nice, you remembered the guacamole.] Mina smiled as she flew down to help herself to the platter.

"Remember, gang--it's all you care to eat!" Ash reminded the Pidgeot, the Squirtle, the Marill, and the Pikachu before him as he took the most chili and cheese filled piece he could find.

[Looks amazing!] River gasped before helping herself to a portion full of lettuce.

Just as Ash was about to take a bite, he noticed a small yellow sheep-like Pokémon wearing a plaid bow trotting towards the group's camp. [Hi--were you coming to join us for lunch?] Tintri asked.

"Maaaa!" the sheep Pokémon replied before Headbutting Tintri. [Hey, what was THAT for?] he protested as he charged a warning spark.

He swallowed hard as the sheep Pokémon absorbed some of his sparks, making it become even fluffier. Oh no... he thought as several more of the sheep Pokémon came bounding over the hills, eager to absorb some of Tintri's electricity. [Where's a dragon Pokémon when you need one?] he screeched as he scrambled to get away from the small flock of sheep Pokémon.

Piqued in the chaos, Ash retrieved his Pokédex to learn more about Tintri's pursuers:

"Mareep, the wool Pokémon. Its fluffy coat swells to double when static electricity builds up. Touching it can be shocking."

[NOW you tell me...] Tintri sighed as his warning Thundershock made a Mareep's wool puff up.

"Hey!" he heard a female voice call. "Leave that Pikachu alone!"

Tintri managed to get a glimpse of one Mareep hopping to greet a brown haired girl about six or seven years old. I see...these Mareeps probably belong to this little girl and her family.

Just then, he heard an older female voice call "Raika, Come bye!" and watched as a Raichu circled around his pursuers, and gathered them close to her. He watched the Raichu's owner, a young woman with neatly braided brown hair in dull teal work clothes call "Raika, look back.", prompting the Raichu to look and see if all the Mareep were safe and accounted for.

Once sure all the Mareep were together, the woman smiled. "That'll do, Raika."

The Raichu nodded, and obediently brought the flock to the woman. [Here y'are, Miss Ellen. They're all safe.]

He then saw the girl he had seem before approach the woman with a sullen look on your face. "Mary...remember that you need to be on guard at all times--predators can attack with no warning." she explained.

"I'm sorry, Mom...I was just so excited about the Mareep Festival, I forgot about the flock." the girl sighed.

"I know you want to enter Fluffy in the festival, but I don't think you're ready yet." the woman explained.

"But when CAN I be ready?" the girl protested.

"What's going on?" Ash asked as he retrieved Tintri.

"Ever since my daughter Mary received a Mareep of her own, she's had her heart set on entering this year's Lanas Festival." the woman explained. "But I fear her constant training is becoming an obsession, to the detriment of her other responsibilities."

She looked over at the group. "Are you three traveling, by chance?"

"We are...I'm Ash...and these are my companions Misty and Brock." Ash replied, gesturing to Misty and Brock as he introduced them.

"Nice to meet you." Misty replied.

"Pleased to meet you." Brock agreed.

"And this is my partner, Tintri--who you guys rescued." Ash explained as Tintri shyly waved hello.

"My name's Ellen, and this is my partner Raika." the woman smiled as she petted the Raichu. "She can herd Mareep better than any Growlithe..."

"That I have to see!" Misty was intrigued.

"Hi, I'm Mary!" the girl smiled as she shepherded a familiar Mareep wearing a plaid bow to her side. "And this is Fluffy." she grinned, unaware that Tintri was nervously sparking.

"If you need a place to stay for the night, our house is not far from here." Ellen offered. "Otherwise you'd have to travel through the night to get to Lanas Town."

"We'll take you up on that offer." Ash replied as he followed Ellen, Raika, and the flock of Mareep up a hill towards a large sprawling farm overlooking a forest.

---------

"Fluffy, use Thundershock!" Mary commanded as Ash and Tintri arrived in a smaller field near the house later that evening.

Ash applauded as Fluffy fired a tiny thunderbolt at a makeshift ball target. "Not bad." he commented. "Want to try battling against a real opponent?"

"Sure!" Mary smiled as Brock arrived on the dusty hill overlooking the house and the farm, where Mary and Fluffy had been practicing.

After drawing a Poké Ball shape in the dusty ground, Brock asked Mary "Which side of the Poké Ball do you want?"

"Left!" Mary replied as she led Fluffy to the Poké Ball's left side.

"Okay, so Mary's on Gold, and Ash is on Silver." Brock replied before explaining to Mary "Since this is just practice and no one's really watching us, I'm not gonna introduce the sides like real referees do."

"You will count us down and blow the whistle, right?" Mary asked, her eyes shining excitedly.

"Of course." Brock replied as he retrieved his own whistle and hurried to the line dividing the Poké Ball drawing in half. "Are both sides ready?"

Mary cheered in reply. "On your whistle, Brock." Ash calmly replied.

"Okay...and three...two...one..." Brock counted before blowing his whistle to start the match.

Tintri immediately jumped to avoid Fluffy's opening Headbutt, before powering around the little Mareep with Agility. "Fluffy, use Thundershock!" Mary called, but gasped as Fluffy collapsed on the ground with a plop. "Oh no...Fluffy!"

Another whistle blast confirmed her worst fear. "Gold is unable to battle." Brock announced. "Silver wins!"

Tears welled up in Mary's eyes. "How could THIS happen? I worked so hard getting Fluffy ready for her first ever battle..."

"Come here..." Ash knelt down to Mary's eye level and wiped her tears away. "Maybe the reason why Fluffy fainted right out of the gate was because you've been working her too hard--and every Pokémon has their limit. Good trainers understand what this limit is for each Pokémon they own, and try not to push them past that limit."

"So I reached Fluffy's limit?" Mary asked.

Ash nodded. "While time in the arena and practicing moves is all well and good, you also need to give your Pokémon a chance to rest. A rested Pokémon will do much better in battle than a tired one."

Mary pondered what Ash had said as she, Ash, and Brock started back towards the house, with Mary carrying Fluffy in her arms. "You're right...maybe I do need to let Fluffy rest for a while."

"Come on--let's head back inside and have dinner." Ash suggested.

"And after dinner, we'll sing some songs and hear a tale or two." Brock agreed, gesturing to the group's instrument cases in the living room as they arrived in the house.

"Stories?" Mary gasped, excited. "Can you tell one with princesses and magic and dragon Pokémon and adventure in it?"

Brock nodded. "I'll see what I can come up with."

To Be Continued...

7. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Interlude: Mary's Bedtime Story

"Okay..." Brock mused as he brought his plate to the sink for Ellen to wash. "One story with princesses, magic, monsters, and adventure, coming up..."

After the group settles in the house's living room and Brock thinks of a suitable story, he begins "Long ago, when this world was full of a deeper magic and terrifying monsters, and the rivers ran with milk and honey, there lived a king--whose name does not concern us--with his queen and their three sons, Alex, Dimitri and Peter, who were all handsome and clever."

Tintri bounds by Mary's side as Brock continues "One day the queen, who had gone on a walk on the open plains, failed to return to the palace, and though the royal army searched far and wide, no trace could be found of her. She had disappeared into thin air."

"So what did the king do?" Mary wondered

"He called together his ministers and advisors, his sages, his grandees and counselors, and asked their advice, and after discussing the matter for three weeks, the chief elder came before him and said..."

In an older version of himself, he announces "Your Majesty! We have concluded that the queen has been spirited away by Darkrai, the Nightmare Pokémon. While his own realm and castle are deep beneath this world, he possesses many other strongholds in the land of mortals, and it has long been known that his most beautiful and well guarded palaces are on the tops of the highest and most inaccessible mountains in the world. It is, however, pointless to fight against him, for his palaces are enchanted by the darkest of magics, and Darkrai himself cannot be killed by mortal means, since he carries his life not in his body, but in a secret place that is known only to him. We counsel you, therefore, to choose another wife, for your lost queen you will never see again until Arceus returns triumphant."

As himself, Brock continues "The king was devastated by this speech. He loved his vanished queen so much, he dared not choose another in her place, but sent heralds into kingdoms far and wide, offering wealth and honors to the one who brought her back to him. Daring heroes, brave adventurers, and great generals came in response to the call, each of them promising valiant deeds, and the king bade each of them take from the royal treasury sufficient gold for his needs. But though many came and many went, there was no news of the missing queen."

"Poor queen..." Mary sighs.

One day, as the king sat musing in his summer palace, his three sons came into the garden and, unaware that he was within earshot, began to talk with each other about what was going on, unaware their father the king was listening in." Brock explains. "When the princes had left the garden, the king returned to the palace and summoned them to his presence.

In character as the king, he tells an imagined person "My dear sons, you know how the loss of your mother troubles my heart and soul. Many brave heroes have searched for her in vain and I am compelled to send one of you forth. Alex, as my eldest, take my fatherly blessing, with as much gold and as many troops as you require, and try your fortune in the quest. If you succeed, you will inherit my kingdom."

As himself, he continues "So Prince Alex took from the treasury a full purse and with fifty thousand troops armed with iron lances, swords, bows, and powerful spells, set out from the capital. He rode one day, and then rode one week, he rode a month, and two and three, asking questions of all he met, until he had passed beyond the borders of his father's kingdom, but no one had heard of the lost queen or of the strongholds of Darkrai the Nightmare Pokémon."

He intones "Finally, he came to a desert land where only earth and sky were to be seen and the sand was as hot as cinders, and one by one his troops perished until only ten remained. Beyond the desert was a forest and on the outskirts of the forest, in a patch of brush and brambles, he came upon an old man sitting on a stone, unaware it was Arceus in disguise."

"Hail to you, Grandfather," he calls in a mimic of Gary for Prince Alex.

"And to you likewise, milord," he replies in a gentle deep voice for Arceus. "Where does the wind take you? Have you come here to escape a task or find one?"

"To find one," he answers as Prince Alex. "I seek the stronghold of Darkrai the Nightmare Pokémon, who has spirited away my mother."

"You are on the right track, but you will not be able to reach it."

"Why not?"

"Because, there are three rivers in between, over which you must be ferried, and the price asked is a great one."

"I have gold and plenty to spare."

Mary giggles at Brock's vocal dexterity as Brock continues as himself "With that, Prince Alex rode on to the first of the three rivers....."

---------

"...Prince Peter fastened the boat and rode on, and before long he came to a mountain so high that its top appeared to be propped against the sky, and he could hardly lift his eyes to its summit." Brock continues. "He left his steed to graze, and searched until he came upon the iron door and entered the cave. Here he found the four iron claws, and after tying them to his hands and feet, began to climb the mountain. For a whole month he climbed, higher and higher, and finally he reached the top, which was so high that one could see the whole world, with all its realms, spread out as if on the palm of his hand. Here he took off the iron claws, thanked Arceus, and after resting three days, went onward."

"Wow!" Mary gasped.

"Whether the way was long or short, I don't know, but he came at last to a vast palace built all of gold. No guard stood at its gate, and he went inside." Brock explains. "Every room he passed through was of gold. In the innermost chamber sat a maiden on a golden chair, embroidering on a golden frame, and the scissors, the thimble and the needle she used were of gold too. He greeted her and told her his quest."

"This is indeed a palace of Darkrai, young hero," Misty jumps in the role of the lady. "My name is Orla. I, too, was stolen away from my father's kingdom by the Nightmare Pokémon, who comes here to visit me once every three months. I know nothing of your mother, but if you go to Darkrai's second palace, maybe you may hear of her. The Nightmare Pokémon is hard to conquer, however, and you are the first who has been able to come this far in recent memory. Should you succeed, remember me and take me back with you to the world of light."

"Prince Peter promised her this, and setting out, traveled until he came to a palace more splendid than the first one, built all of silver." Brock continues. "It, too, was unguarded, and entering, he found in its innermost chamber a maiden sitting on a silver stool, weaving on a silver loom with thread of pure silver. He greeted her, and told of his quest."

"My name is Ariana." Misty fills in the second lady's dialogue. "I too was stolen away from my father's realm by the Nightmare Pokémon, and brought to this palace, where he comes to visit me once every two months. I have not seen your mother, but if you go to Darkrai's third palace, beyond this, maybe you may hear of her. If you meet in battle and are the victor over him, do not forget me, but take me with you to the world of light."

"Prince Peter gave Princess Ariana his promise and set out immediately, and the next day came to a palace which blazed like fire in the sunlight, for it was built entirely of pure crystal." Brock continues, to Mary's awe. "Like the others, it was unguarded, so he entered and explored it. In its inmost chamber he found a maiden sitting on a crystal couch, making lace on a crystal pillow, and both the shuttle and the thread were pure crystal. This lady was of such beauty that no mortal word could describe her, and no mortal song was worthy of her."

"Hail and well met, milady!" Ash, in the role of Prince Peter, greets Misty.

"To you likewise, young prince," Misty replies as the third lady. "But how did you come here? By your own free will or by force?"

"By my own free will." Ash answers. "I seek my mother who has been stolen away from my father's kingdom by Darkrai. Can you tell me where she is?"

"Why should I not be able?" Misty smiles. "My name is Christina, and I too was stolen from my father's kingdom by the Nightmare Pokémon, who visits me here once each month. But your mother he keeps in his fourth palace, which is built of diamonds, and there you must go. But, I beg you, if you do overcome and slay the monster, remember me and take me with you into the world of light."

"Better I give my own life than leave you to Darkrai!" Ash vows as Prince Peter.

"Listen closely," Misty explains in character. "When you come to the fourth of the Nightmare Pokémon's many palaces, you will see that it lies in a garden which is surrounded like a wall by an enormous Arbok coiled with its tail in its mouth. Take this bundle of herbs, and when you come into the open field around the palace, choose a spot where the wind blows from you toward the Arbok, build a fire, and throw some of the herbs into the flames. Be careful that you do not use it all and that you yourself stand with the wind at your back. The smoke will put the Arbok to sleep, and you may then climb over its body and enter the palace."

Mary smiles with anticipation as Brock continues "Prince Peter bade her farewell and set out, and when he had traveled a day he came to a palace which rose dazzling white from the midst of a green garden, and all around the garden lay coiled a huge Arbok, a living, scaly wall. He went into the meadow, built a fire and threw some sprigs of the herbs on it, creating a great plume of smoke which the wind drove toward the Arbok, causing it to fall asleep. He then climbed over it and entered the diamond palace."

"What was in there?" Even Ellen is interested, and at the same time enjoying how her daughter is entranced by the epic adventure.

"He passed through room after room till he came to the innermost sanctum, and there he saw his mother sitting on a diamond throne, dressed in a robe of brocade sewn with diamond dust, and wearing a queen's crown studded with diamonds." Brock explains. When she saw him she ran to him, and embracing him, she cried..."

"How have you found me here, my brave and beloved son? For I, your mother, am in the power of this mighty Nightmare Pokémon who comes to me each day." Misty gasps in character as the mother, complete with wearing a towel as a cape. "You will strive to overcome him, yet he commands powerful dark magic, while you are but a untested hero--I greatly fear for you!"

"The wind does not blow forever," Ash assures Misty in character.

"They kissed and caressed one another for a moment, until a mighty rushing wind made the crystal windows rattle." Brock intones, aware of the wind blowing outside and the clouds obscuring the stars.

"Darkrai comes even now," Misty tells Ash. "Hide beneath my mantle!"

As if on cue, a rumble of thunder was heard outside, snapping Ash and Misty out of character. "Nice touch." Ash commented as rain started to fall outside.

Ellen, however, seemed excited about the storm. "Come on, Mary...let's get the Mareep to the top of the hill so the lightning can fluff up their wool!"

"Okay!" Mary led the group outside into the rain. "You can tell me the rest of the story once we get back in, okay?" she assures Brock.

To Be Continued...

8. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 24: Attack in the Night

"Wow!" Misty gasped as lightning flashed across the night sky, illuminating the cliff the Mareep flock was standing on. Every so often, a bolt would streak down and strike a Mareep, making it cry joyfully as the surge of power made the wool fluffier and brighter.

"This is beautiful..." Ash agreed as he welcomed Tintri into the somewhat dry pocket of his raincoat.

"We do have to be careful when we bring the flock to the cliff." Ellen cautioned before a huge bolt interrupted the conversation. "Wild Mightyenas roam the forests in this area, and I sure would hate for one of the flock to wind up dinner for them."

"We have our teams, and Brock is an expert archer in case our Pokémon fall in battle." Misty explained.

"That's what I have covered beneath my rain gear." Brock explained before letting Mary see one of the green fletched arrows. "Fingers crossed I won't have to use them."

Just then, a howl in the distance made everyone jump. "Oh no..." Misty sighed as she spotted some black and gray wolf-like Pokémon emerging from the nearby forest, intrigued in the Mareep flock on the cliff.

Ash's first thought was to order Tintri to attack, but Ellen stopped him. "Typically, Mightyenas are more afraid of you than you are of them, but once urged to attack, than can and will harm people and other Pokémon. I wouldn't attack unless one of the Mareep is in danger or we have no other option."

Piqued, Ash decided to read up on the group of wolf Pokémon:

"Mightyena, the bite Pokémon. An invasive species native to the Houen region, they live in a pack in the wild." the Pokédex began. "They never defy their leader's orders, and defeat foes with perfectly coordinated teamwork."

Misty swallowed hard. "I'm not sure we should be engaging those..."

[Relax--if we must fight to protect the flock, I'd happily take down those ol' snarlers with my Thunderbolt!] Raika assured the antsy group.

[And mine too!] Tintri agreed.

"Where did these Pokémon from another region come from?" Brock was curious.

"It started as a well intentioned experiment to reintroduce Mightyenas in a similar habitat after they were very nearly eradicated in their native land." Ellen explained. "But it went south very quickly--what didn't get killed by the Mareep farmers succumbed to disease. Even though I hear the Mightyena population in Houen has since recovered, a few packs still remain here in Johto as remnants of that experiment.

"If I ever get to go there, I'll have to see them in their native land for myself." Ash mused, at the same time unaware of a Mightyena sneaking up on Fluffy.

Mary, however, spotted the Mightyena. "Fluffy!" she yelped, which spurred the Mightyena pack to charge towards the vulnerable flock.

Raika, meanwhile, blocked the pack leader from Fluffy. [Don't you DARE harm these Mareeps!] she warned as the snarling Mightyena approached the frightened Mareep.

She nimbly jumped to avoid the Mightyena's sharp claws, then fired a massive Thunderbolt, knocking the pack leader and several other Mightyenas backwards. [I've got the pack leader--you and your friends go work on the other pack members!] she instructed Tintri.

[Got it!] Tintri nodded before hurrying off to engage another Mightyena.

"Pearl, Spritz, Ami, go help Tintri!" Misty instructed as she heaved three Pokémon skyward.

"I have Hinata and Argent on standby, if either of you need help." Brock reported before hurrying off to find a vantage point to shoot from, should the need to use his bow arise.

"Mina, Brenna, River, go help Misty's team!" Ash instructed as he too summoned his remaining Pokémon.

[I'll be your eyes from the air!] Mina volunteered before taking off to get a better view of the battle zone.

She reported to Ash down below [Okay...Raika's busy with the pack leader and the alphas, Misty's team is dealing with those pack members on the left, and your team is dealing with those on the right. Brock is on standby behind that hill close to you.]

"Thanks, Mina." Ash grinned before hurrying to join his team.

[I'm gonna go give Raika some air support.] Mina told Ash before flying towards the hill where Raika was grappling with the pack leader and unleashing a Whirlwind attack, sending the two Mightyenas with the leader tumbling down the hill.

[Thanks...] Raika wheezed. [This pack leader is very strong...I don't know...if...I can...]

Mina squawked with alarm as the pack leader swatted Raika, sending her tumbling down the hill and landing at Ellen's feet.

"Raika!" Ellen gasped. "Are you okay?"

"I think so..." Raika wheezed, but she looked very clearly in pain. [That pack leader...was...too...strong...]

"Team, hold off the Mightyenas!" Misty called. "Protect the Mareeps at all costs!"

[HAAAAAAAAAH!!!!] Pearl unleashed a Water Gun, sending three Mightyenas tumbling back down the hill. Spritz followed up with a Mist attack, making it hard for the remaining Mightyenas to see.

[Pokémon down!] Mina reported to Brock. [Raika's been unplugged!]

Mary, meanwhile, had an idea. "Maybe if we somehow froze the Mightyenas in place, that would buy the flock time to power up Fluffy!"

"But, Mary...!" Ellen started to protest.

"How will we know Mary's plan won't work if we don't try it?" Ash interrupted.

"It is risky, yes, but we know how special the flock is to you both, and will do anything to keep the Mareep safe." Misty assured Ellen. "So try and trust Mary."

Ellen weighed the pros and cons of her daughter's idea as another thunderbolt rumbled overhead. "Okay...if it means saving the flock, we'll try your idea." she told Mary.

[First, I'll freeze some of your arrows, Brock...] Pearl offered before firing an Ice Beam from her core, freezing the arrowheads of the three arrows in Brock's hands.

"Thanks, Pearl." Brock replied as he carefully aimed one of the frozen arrows at the pack leader, which was creeping up behind a Mareep that Fluffy was guarding.

After a few tense seconds, he fired into the grass, freezing the pack leader and several other Mightyenas solid. "Bullseye." he grinned.

He explained to Mary. "Even though they are predators, I still don't want to hurt the Mightyenas, so that's why I fired into the grass."

"Oh..." Mary grinned as she watched the other Mareeps rally each other into gently zapping Fluffy.

For a moment, the only sound was the pitter patter of the rain, a rumble of thunder in the distance, and the quiet crackle of electricity as the Mareeps worked to give Fluffy strength. "I don't know if we'll have time to get Fluffy powered up in time..." Misty worried as she saw some of the ice from Brock's arrow begin to melt.

Ash grimaced. I don't know how I can help, but Fluffy is our only chance! If she falls, not only will Mary be heartbroken, but we'll be toast!

He didn't know where the words came from, but he found himself singing Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..., which supercharged one Mareep's thunderbolt to the point where it gave Fluffy a golden glow, moments before the pack leader broke free!

Ellen watched in awe as the little gold Mareep rammed, Headbutted, and Thundershocked the pack leader. "I can't believe it...Fluffy's holding her own in battle!" Mary gasped. "Although maybe Ash's spell helped supercharge her bravery too."

Inspired, she called "Fluffy, use Thundershock!"

[HI-YAAAAAAAAAA!!!!] Fluffy screamed as she fired the biggest thunderbolt she could muster, paralyzing the pack leader and forcing the other Mightyenas to flee!

"We did it!" Mary cried as the rain started to subside. "We scared those mean ol' Mightyenas away, didn't we, Fluffy?"

"You sure did, hon..." Ellen smiled as she hurried to assess the flock for injuries. "But Fluffy's the real hero, here..."

She then offered Mary a Poké Ball. "For your heroic deed here tonight, I think you and Fluffy are ready for the festival after all."

"Honest?" Mary gasped. "Yay!!!!! We get to battle in the festival after all, Fluffy!"

Ellen then led out the Mareep Ash's Heart Song had supercharged. "While I don't doubt your Pikachu's bravery, feel free to adopt this Mareep as a token of our thanks."

"Thanks." Ash smiled as he watched Hinata retrieve the arrow Brock had shot earlier. "Any ideas for Mareep names?" he asked Brock.

"How about..." Brock thought for a moment. "Luce?"

"Loose? What kind of a name is that?" Misty asked.

"No, you say it 'Loo-cheh', not 'Loose'" Brock gently corrected Misty. "It's Italian for 'light' and very appropriate for what Mareep ultimately becomes.

Mary, meanwhile, led Luce and Ash back inside the house. "Keep practicing your magic, okay?"

Ash sighed--his use of his Heart Song wasn't technically magic, but to a young girl like Mary, it likely was. "I'll take good care of Luce, and I'll have a bunch of new spells to show you next time!" he grinned, playing along.

To Be Continued...

9. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 25: Pokémon by the Numbers

"It's so peaceful here..." Misty sighed as the group made their way to a forest. "Better than a Mightyena attack at midnight during a storm..."

"I'll say..." Ash agreed, still shuddering at a memory of what had happened a few nights before.

Brock was about to reassure his jittery comrades when a flash of red got his attention. "What was that?" he asked, seconds before he saw what the red blur was: a large red mantis-like Pokémon that appeared to be made of steel.

He nervously reached for his bow and nocked an arrow. "Why would you use an arrow against steel?" Ash wondered as he watched Brock prepare his shot.

"I have no intention of firing--that would anger this Pokémon." Brock explained. "This is meant to warn our visitor away."

He cautioned "If you don't know how to approach an opponent, don't just blindly rush in--as your first move could be your last."

"Stand down, young archer--my Scizor means no harm." a man in a neatly pressed suit began as he joined the mantis Pokémon.

"Our apologies, sir-we thought your Scizor was a wild Pokémon." Brock replied as he stood down.

"He's not--his name is Date, short for Date Masamune, after the famed katana maker and warrior." the man replied.

"But why would you let such a dangerous Pokémon run loose and attack at will?" Misty asked.

"We were only trying to do some secret training in the woods, and nothing more, miss." the man explained. "We already made short work of some troublemakers in the forest--a boy and a girl in R labeled attire with a Meowth that spoke the words of humans."

Team Rocket... Ash winced when he heard the descriptions of the opponents the man and his Scizor had defeated.

"Secret training, huh?" Misty grumbled. "What was so secret about it? How do we know you're not a Team Rocket goon yourself? Cause if you're out to get my friend's Pikachu, you're in for a world of pain! No, more than pain! You're gonna--!"

A whistle got her attention. "Let it go, Misty--this guy doesn't look like a Team Rocket lackey to me." Brock assured Misty.

"I am not even affiliated with those rogues." the man assured the group. "My name is Muramasa, and you've already met my partner, Date."

Ash, meanwhile, fished out his Pokédex to learn about the majestic steel mantis:

"Scizor, the pincer Pokémon. This Pokémon's pincers, which contain steel, can crush any hard object it gets a hold of into bits."

"Wow!" he gasped. "I'll bet he could even crush a diamond if he wanted to!"

Muramasa chuckled. "Judging from how your friend ranted before, you and your Pikachu must be very close."

"Oh yes...we went all the way to the Indigo League together, even if we started out on rough terms." Ash replied.

"Really now?" Muramasa was impressed. "In that case, I believe you are just the trainer I have been looking for!"

He motioned for the group to follow him. "Follow me--Date will clear the brush for you."

---------

"Wow..." the group gasped as they arrived in a large clearing in the forest, where a large skyscaper-like building towered over even the trees.

"What is this place?" Misty asked.

"Welcome to the Silverleaf Trainer's Academy." Muramasa smiled. "Trainers from all over the world come here to train themselves and their Pokémon."

"So...mind if we take a tour?" Misty asked, which got some of the students' attention as they arrived outside for lunch.

"Principal Muramasa is a very talented trainer." a girl smiled as she spread out a picnic blanket on the grass and secured it with some rocks as some of her friends arrived.

"Yeah, his Scizor Date is also known as 'The Crimson Streak' because of his incredible speed and strength." a boy agreed as he settled before the blanket and opened his lunch box.

"Or at least, he used to be." another male voice interjected, bringing the conversation to a standstill as the crowd of students looked over at a dull purple haired boy in a red and black shirt reading a book at a picnic table.

"Who's that?" Ash wondered.

"This is Shingo, the school's top student." Muramasa began as he led the group over to the table. "Why don't you ask him for a friendly match?"

"No need." Shingo replied as he opened a silver laptop and started typing something.

Brock balked at the futuristic logo on the laptop's top. "Whoa...that's a PSUS Zenbook! One of the nicest laptops available for students!"

"Here we go..." Shingo mused as he studied the profile, then turned the laptop to allow Ash to see his own trainer profile! "This is why a battle is not needed--I have information on every trainer in the world here at my fingertips."

He turned his attention to Ash's profile. "As for you, Ashton Grant Ketchum...you are a type C trainer--not the worst of the worst, but still have a ways to go. You prefer to use standard attacks, and rely on your Pokémon's power to win for you. You are also prone to making rash decisions and relying on hunches."

"I wouldn't say Ash has made rash decisions..." Misty protested.

"I'll admit he doesn't think things through sometimes, but Ash knows more than people think he does." Brock agreed. "Sometimes those risky decisions have paid off big."

"You sure you're up to the latest version? I'm a way better trainer than I was before!" Ash protested.

"Really?" Shingo smirked. "You were lucky to get into the top 16 in the Indigo Plateau Conference!"

Ash growled in frustration. "Well if I'm as bad as you say I am, then why don't you battle me to confirm your findings?"

"You have a 85.9% chance of losing anyway." Shingo smirked. "So there's no point in battling."

He cleared away Ash's profile and showed a comparison graph between a Pikachu and a Scizor. "The numbers don't lie--my Scizor has the advantage in every stat except for Special Attack and Speed, and gives 2 EVs in Attack, rather than the two EVs in Speed your Pikachu would give that he doesn't need...that, and he has the max DV's of 15..."

"So...many...acronyms..." Misty groaned at all the technical jargon.

"The only EV I know about is a cute brown Pokémon that can evolve many different ways." Brock agreed.

"I don't care about all that technobabble that predicts I'll lose! I STILL want to battle!" Ash snapped.

"Good luck, man--Shingo told everyone here the same thing, and he beat them all." a boy sighed as Shingo gathered his gear in a huff and departed.

"Shingo hasn't battled in over a year because he believes he can predict any battle with his database of Pokémon and trainers." Muramasa explained. "Many of us agree that Shingo has lost his way, and needs someone to battle him to show him that there is more to Pokémon than just facts, figures, EVs, DVs, IVs, RVs, and TVs."

"I'll find some way to battle Shingo--don't worry!" Ash grinned. "I'll show him that while the numbers may not lie, they're only part of the puzzle!"

"Yeah--you need love, trust, and confidence, too!" Misty agreed.

"You will?" Muramasa smiled. "Thank you--and if you do manage to beat him, I'll give you a personal tour of the school!"

Brock offered a hand to Muramasa. "You've got yourself a deal."

Meanwhile, Kamon watched from a bush as Brock and Muramasa shook hands. A database of every trainer in the world? Maybe now I can learn Wonderboy's secret!

To Be Continued...

10. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 26: A Simulation of Battle

There he is, still typing away in that database... Ash thought as he spotted Shingo typing away in a lounge.

He waited a moment for the other people present to clear out, then approached Shingo. "My offer to battle still stands, you know."

"There's no need...I can win a match without leaving my laptop." Shingo calmly replied.

"Errgh...if you don't wanna battle willingly, I'm gonna have to drag you to an arena." Ash grumbled as he tried his best to drag Shingo away towards a hallway leading to an arena entrance.

With Ash occupied, Kamon saw his chance when he saw Shingo's laptop unattended. Wow...a PSUS Zenbook...that's pretty hot stuff.

He smirked as he retrieved a USB cable from one pocket of his bag. I hope its owner doesn't mind me "borrowing" his database...

But when he tried to connect the cable to the USB port, he discovered that the plug was too large. So much for downloading it directly... he sighed as he settled in a chair, rubbing his finger on the touchpad in hopes it would bring the laptop out of screensaver mode.

Please enter password to exit screensaver. came a prompt, making Kamon balk. Password? I didn't know you could password protect screensavers...

"Okay...let's do a little brute force hacking here--probably has some stupidly easy password." he mused as he typed "letmein"

He balked when he saw Incorrect password. "Okay, let's just try another one..." He tried "mankey".

Incorrect password. Not one to be deterred, Kamon tried "dragonite"

Incorrect password. came the prompt.

"Hey! Quit trying to get into my data!" Shingo's voice startled Kamon.

"Relax, calm down...I just wanted to borrow it for my own research." Kamon smugly replied as he got up from the table.

"Well, you could've asked nicely instead of trying to hack into my research!" Shingo shot back. "That database of trainers is my crown jewel!"

Kamon was unfazed. "All this over trainer data? It's just a bunch of zeroes and ones."

"But my research is not meaningless!" Shingo protested. "I will fight to protect this database!"

"Bring it on, tech geek!" Kamon smirked as he summoned Spike, Ash looking on from a couch all the while.

Shingo grabbed a Poké Ball. "Blade, come show this hacker who's boss!" he called as he heaved the Poké Ball to the ground, revealing a Scizor of his own in the room.

"Nice, a Scizor..." Kamon had to smile in awe over the red steel mantis before him.

"Not just any Scizor--Blade is faster and stronger than Principal Muramasa's Scizor Date, and he has never lost in battle!" Shingo retorted.

"Really? Try me..." Kamon sighed as Shingo returned to his waiting laptop and entered the correct password to bring it out of screensaver mode.

Next, he entered the relevant data in his match simulator. Suggested move: Quick Attack. came the prompt.

"Okay, Blade...use Quick Attack!" Shingo commanded.

Kamon watched in horror as Spike went flying across the room and crashed into a wall. "Whoa...not bad, I'll admit." he began as he hurried to tend to Spike, who had Torchics spinning around his head.

Some applause got Ash's and Shingo's attention. "Wow! I'm amazed I managed to see you battle again!" Muramasa raved as Kamon departed from the room.

"I just did what I had to do to save my data." Shingo smiled.

"Well, there's more to battling than winning, and data can't predict everything." Ash cautioned as he got up from the couch he had been watching from. "So, how bout it? Will you battle me now?"

Shingo nodded. "All right--we'll see if your claims have any merit or not."

---------

"Representing the Gold side, Shingo and Blade!" Brock announced. Blade just flexed his claws as Shingo readied his simulator. "...and representing the Silver side, Ash and River!" He made a grand gesture to Ash and his Marill on the Silver side of the arena."

[I'm not scared of you!] River taunted.

"Are both sides ready?" Brock asked.

Ash and River cheered in reply. "Simulation loaded and ready to go." Shingo grinned.

"And three...two...one..." Brock's whistle then rang through the arena.

"Blade, use Quick Attack!" Shingo called.

"River, try lowering Blade's defense with Tail Whip!" Ash called.

[HA--!] River tried to lash at the oncoming red streak running at her, but Blade's impact sent her flying against the safety barrier. [Ow...] she groaned as she slid off the barrier and landed at Ash's feet.

"River!" Misty gasped.

[You can't give up!] Misty's Marill Ami agreed. [Show Geek Boy battling isn't all zeroes and ones!]

Shingo smirked as River struggled to get up. "Blade, use Metal Claw!"

[Wha...] River gasped as she felt Blade pick her up in his claws. [Oh no...]

Ash realized what was about to happen. "River, whatever you do, don't let Blade throw you!"

He heaved a sigh of relief as River managed to wriggle free and get back on the ground. [Don't worry, Ash--I've got Cybug here under control.] she smiled,

With that, she took a deep breath and unleashed a Water Gun, sending Blade flying towards the Gold safety barrier.

"Wha...how was this supposed to happen?" Shingo gasped, stunned at the turn of events.

"I don't need any techno-wizardry to predict anything--I use my instincts to choose attacks." Ash explained. "Sometimes, they're right, and sometimes, they're wrong, but I can use the outcome to plan my next move."

He then called to River "Use Play Rough!"

[HAIIIIIIIII-YAH!] River barreled at Blade in an attempt to drag him to the ground, but couldn't hit Blade, who had used Agility.

She lunged again and again at the red blur in the arena, but no matter which direction she tried to attack from, Blade would run in a different direction. [Whoa...this guy's way too fast for me.] she groaned as she tried to keep up with her opponent. [I'm getting dizzy trying to follow him!]

"Calm down River...relax." Ash assured the Marill before him. "Rather than trying to catch Blade, let Blade come to you."

River nodded, and closed her eyes. [Let Blade come to me...let Blade come to me...]

Over on the Gold side, Shingo was panicking at Blade racing at the Marill, and the Marill calmly waiting to intercept Blade. Wait...I can't look at the laptop and the battle at the same time.

About then, River suddenly opened her eyes. I gotcha now, Blade!

"River, use Superpower!" Ash commanded.

[HAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!] River cried as she dashed forward, her body surrounded in a light blue aura. Blade tried to use Metal Claw, but River proved and knocked Blade in the air with a PLING!

"Blade!" Shingo gasped as Blade landed near the worktable he was sitting at.

Blade had just stood up, when the glowing River used Superpower again, sending Blade flying to the other end of the arena.

"Whoa...I can't believe River's speed!" Shingo gasped as he closed up the laptop. Here goes...I have to call the shots myself now--the simulation is in shambles!

"Blade, use Quick Attack!" he called.

"River, try to Tackle Blade, and intercept his attack!" Ash called.

The arena fell silent when they saw that both Pokémon had missed. After a few moments to collect herself, River saw Blade approaching with a Metal Claw, and jumped out of the way as Blade sped past her.

"Blade, use False Swipe!" Shingo called.

"Come on, River! Stand your ground!" Ash called.

He watched as Blade flew into the air, then flew down towards the Marill bracing itself on the Silver side. Blade raised his pincers into the air, then slammed them onto where the Marill stood.

But when the dust cleared, River still stood--battered and beaten, but still in the fight!

"Okay! River, you have permission to Play Rough!" Ash called.

River ran at Blade and proceeded to drag him across the floor, complete with a drop kick across the arena.

Ash grinned as Brock's whistle signaled the end of the match. "Gold is unable to battle." Brock announced. "Silver wins!"

"Well...what are you going to do with your laptop, now that your database has been bested?" Muramasa asked as he approached Shingo.

"I don't need it for battling anymore--I'll just use it for organizing my class notes, writing papers, and the occasional MMO." Shingo smiled.

He looked over at Blade. "Well done, Blade...you did well, even though we lost." Blade weakly purred in reply, as if thanking his master.

Ash hugged River. "Thank you, Shingo...you did a brave thing by calling some shots on your own."

"I think I get what you mean when you say you battle by your instincts." Shingo replied. "After I get a chance to practice that, we should battle again the next time you come. I clearly have a lot to learn."

"I'll hold you to that, then." Ash grinned as he and Shingo shook hands. "Until then, study hard, and keep practicing battling by instinct!"

"I will!" Shingo smiled, waving goodbye as Ash rejoined Misty and Brock for their well deserved tour of the school....

To Be Continued...

11. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 27: Good Quill Ambassadors

"Well, once again, we're lost..." Ash sighed as he led Misty and Brock through yet another forest.

"And this is how many forests we've gotten lost in on our way to Azalea Town?" Misty asked, a note of frustration in her voice.

"There has to be a misprint on the map somewhere..." Brock mused as he turned the map upside down, and then sideways. If there IS a misprint, either I'm not looking hard enough, or it's in a very obscure place."

"Silly! All we need to do is keep going through the forest until we reach the road again." Ash grinned, pleased with himself.

"Understatement of the year." Misty deadpanned as the group emerged from the forest onto a path lined with high cliffs.

Just then, a boy with purple hair approached them. "Excuse me, but have you guys seen any Cyndaquil around?"

"Cyndaquil?" Ash gasped, excited about welcoming a new fire Pokémon to the team. "Where? Where?"

"Ash, wait!" Misty started to protest as Ash dashed off towards some bushes. Here we go again...

She was snapped back to reality when she heard the purple haired boy call "Whatever you do, leave any Cyndaquil you find alone--some red haired punk caught one, and I shudder to know how he's treating it!"

"Now wait a minute!" Misty protested. "You can't tell Ash to leave them alone and horde all the Cyndaquils for yourself!"

"Yeah--if Ash finds one, he has every right to catch it." Brock agreed, unaware Ash had disappeared into the brush with Tintri.

---------

Meanwhile, Kamon watched Brock and Misty argue with the purple haired boy from a bush on top of a rock. There they are--I've got Wonderboy and pals right where I want them! he grinned before moving out to the edge of the rock in preparation to jump down and ambush the group.

After a few tense moments, he leaped from the rock, making Brock, Misty, and the boy gasp when he landed before them with the grace and agility of a Meowth.

"Weird...where's Wonderboy and Wonder-chu?" Kamon asked as he brushed the dust from his clothing.

Just then, a flash of red and white in the brush got Kamon's attention. "Never mind, I found him!"

He heaved a Poké Ball skyward. "Helena, go give Wonderboy the scare of his life!"

A ghostly spirit Pokémon emerged from the Poké Ball, and flew off after Ash. Misty just swallowed hard as the spirit Pokémon flew off through the forest underbrush. Ash...please be careful...

---------

In the forest, Ash yelped in surprise as Helena appeared before him and Tintri. [I've gotcha, Ash!] Tintri called as he leaped towards the Gastly and fired a massive Thunderbolt.

He shuddered when he saw his attack had not fazed the ghostly Pokémon. [Oh no...] he started as Helena started charging a large ball of ominous purple energy. [Shadow Ball!]

"Jump!" Ash called to Tintri, prompting them both to make a running leap into a ditch, making the Shadow Ball miss completely. Once sure the ghostly attack had disappeared, Ash motioned for Tintri to follow him out of the ditch and up towards a network of caves in the rocks.

They wound their way through mossy rocks, a patch of wild mushrooms, gnarled tree roots, over a stream, and through a cave made out of a hollow tree, but it wasn't long before Ash managed to catch his breath. "Whew...we're safe here." he assured Tintri.

[I'll say...you run pretty fast for a human.] Tintri wheezed.

Ash smiled. "Came in the top five fastest times running a mile in gym class when I was little...but I don't think that Gastly will find us in here..."

[Forgetting something, Wonderboy?] Helena asked as she warped inside the hollow. [Solid walls are no match for me!]

"Run for it!" Ash called as he and Tintri scrambled out of the hollow to avoid another Shadow Ball, tripping over a tree root on the way.

After dashing through the forest some more, Ash and Tintri emerged from the underbrush to find a series of small caves along a wall of rock. [Where are we?] Tintri asked. [Did we lose the Gastly?]

"I think so..." Ash nervously replied before a familiar tiny porcupine-like Pokémon popped out of one of the caves. Piqued, he fished out his Pokédex to read up on the tiny Pokémon:

"Cyndaquil, the fire mouse Pokémon. The fire that spouts from its back burns hottest when it is angry. The flaring flames intimidate foes."

A voice calling "Mica, use Sand Attack!" snapped him back to reality. "Gah!" he cried as sand flew into his face, sending him tumbling back to the ground.

The Cyndaquil, however ran back into the cave it came from, with the purple haired boy in hot pursuit. [Follow that boy!] Tintri called as Ash rubbed the sand from his eyes and eased himself to his feet.

"Hold it, Wonderboy!" Kamon called as he arrived with Helena, just as Ash was checking himself over for injuries.

"Sorry, I haven't got time for you guys!" Ash replied before dashing off after the boy and the Cyndaquil.

"Hey, I wasn't done talking to you!" Kamon yelled, but Ash and Tintri were already gone.

---------

Ash balked when he saw several small holes inside the second cave. "Okay...where could the Cyndaquil have gotten to..." he mused as he checked each hole, only to find pebbles, twigs, and leaves in each one.

A flash of red got his attention, but before he could run after it, a sharp claw sent him falling backwards.

[Shadow Ball incoming!] Tintri called as Ash hurried to get up.

Ash gasped when he saw the purple energy ball, and dove into an alcove, making it fizzle out on the stone floor. As he caught his breath, he saw that the purple haired boy had the Cyndaquil up against a wall, trying to battle it. I can't hide in the shadows while an innocent Pokémon gets hurt... he thought as he watched the Sandslash use Poison Sting from the safety of the alcove. I've gotta do something!

After summoning all the courage he had, Ash leaped from the alcove and grabbed the frightened Cyndaquil seconds before the Poison Sting landed, making sure to roll to avoid another Shadow Ball on the way.

The Shadow Ball's energy was enough to send Ash and Tintri flying out of the cave. "I knew I'd corner you here sooner or later..." Kamon sneered as he and his Gastly approached Ash. "You've got a lot of questions to answer for me...."

Just then, Ash realized he still had the Cyndaquil in his arms! After checking its gender, he set it down on the ground. "I wish we could visit some more, but you need to run before things get bad."

[No--you saved me, and now it's my turn to save you!] the Cyndaquil replied.

With that, she heaved a huge stream of fire at Kamon's Gastly. "No!" Ash cried, heaving a Poké Ball into the stream of fire, in a desperate attempt to save the little Pokémon.

"Ash!" Brock called as he and Misty arrived on the path near the cave, where Ash was struggling to get up. "You okay?"

"Yeah..." Ash replied as Misty looked him over for injuries. "But...I caught this Cyndaquil..."

Just then, the purple haired boy came out of the cave. "Hey! I wanted that Cyndaquil--I demand a duel to see who gets Cyndaquil!"

"Well, Ash already caught Cyndaquil fair and square." Brock replied. "There's plenty of other Cyndaquils here..."

"I accept the challenge." Ash replied as Misty finished bandaging the scrapes and scratches he had sustained on the wild chase. "I'll even use my new Cyndaquil--her name is Cyndy!"

"Cyndy?" Misty winced at the seemingly cheesy name Ash had chosen. "Really?"

"She belongs to Ash, and he can name her whatever he wants." Brock reminded Misty as he retrieved his whistle and hurried to referee the impending battle.

---------

The sound of a referee's whistle echoed through the caves, signaling that the match between the Sandslash Mica and Cyndy was underway. From the right side of the Poké Ball, Ash watched in awe as Cyndy dodged all of Mica's attacks. "Wow! Not only is Cyndy strong offensively, but defensively too!"

He gasped as he watched Mica heave a flurry of shining stars at Cyndy. "Cyndy! Counter with Flamethrower!"

[Waaaaa!] Cyndy cried as the shining stars knocked her back into a tree. She quickly darted away as Mica charged at her in an attempt to Tackle her, but ended up getting stuck in the tree's trunk. Cyndy looked up at Ash with a smile, then blew out a small Ember, burning Mica, and making him faint.

"Gold is unable to battle--Silver wins!" Brock announced, making Ash and Cyndy cheer.

Ash saw his opponent grab a bug net. "If you won't willingly give the Cyndaquil to me, I'll just take her from you!"

Brock just blew his whistle again. "Silver won, fair and square--now, shake hands."

Cyndy flared her quills at the boy. [I WANT to be with Ash, you jerk!] she screeched as she let out an impressive Flamethrower, sending the boy and his Sandslash tearing down the path with burning feet.

"Talk about the old hot foot..." Misty grinned.

Ash gently hugged Cyndy. "Welcome aboard, Cyndy! Our road to glory burns white hot!"

To Be Continued...

12. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 28: Familiar Foes and Water Woes

"Boy, it's hot today..." Ash groaned as he wiped the sweat from his brow.

[Tell me about it...] Tintri agreed. [Is there a Fire type close by, or something?]

"I wouldn't say there's a Fire type in the area, but I will tell you that the plants by the roadside are all drying up because of this heat." Brock explained, gesturing to some wilting flowers by the side of the road.

Ash slumped to the ground. "What I would give for some air conditioning or a swimming pool right now..."

"Well, a swimming pool can't necessarily fit in a bag, but I do have the next best thing!" Misty grinned as she brandished a Poké Ball.

She heaved the Poké Ball skyward. "Pearl, come on out and help us beat the heat!"

[Oh my...it is hot today...] Pearl noted. [Perhaps I can be of service and cool you guys?]

Misty nodded "Fire a Water Gun into the air and make a fountain for us to splash in!"

She smiled at the relieved looks on the boys' faces. "I hope you packed your swim trunks, guys!"

"That's fine--water will dry off anyway." Brock replied as he watched the Starmie fire a stream of water into the sky. "That, and I don't really see a place to change into bathing suits and swim trunks.

He looked over at Pearl spraying water. "While that is a good start to a makeshift sprinkler, we're gonna need more water than that..."

"Not a problem!" Ash smiled before heaving a Poké Ball to the ground. "River, come on out and cool us all off!"

[You called?] River smiled as she materialized on the road. [Wow...the ground's all cracked and hot!] she gasped when she noticed the warm ground and cracks forming on the road due to the heat.

"This is where you come in...I want you to make the biggest water spray you can to help Pearl create a sprinkler for us to play in." Ash explained.

[Okay!] River wasted no time in making a large water spray to help Pearl.

The group wasted no time in kicking off their socks and shoes and hurrying to play in their "fountain". "Yee-ha!" Ash cried as he dove head first into the cool water...

---------

Meanwhile, on a different stretch of the roadway, three familiar hoodlums--a fuchsia haired girl, a lavender haired boy, and a small cat Pokémon with pale yellow fur trudged along the road. ""It's the end, I tell you!" the boy cries in frustration. "We're lost, fried in a scorching sun!"

"Well, if you're so thirsty, Meowth has the water bottle." the girl sighs--she has had to endure her partner complaining the whole way.

"Okay, who needs watta more?" the Meowth asks. "Last time we took a watta break, Jessie needed it, and judgin' from how James has been complainin' dis whole time, I tink it's his toin."

"Gimme that!" James eagerly dashed up and snatched the water bottle from the tiny cat Pokémon's paws--only to find that the bottle was barely a fourth of the way full! "Meowth! This was supposed to last until we got to town! If I drink this, then what will Jessie have when she inevitably gets thirsty?"

"And if I drink it, then James will only be complaining for the next two hours!" Jessie grumbled.

"I'm a livin' bein too, yanno--so I need watta too." Meowth reminded his two human companions. "So if yanno of a well, or a grocery store anywhere..."

Jessie then spotted a well not far from the trio's current position. "Hold that thought, I see a well!"

"Follow me!" The three Rockets dashed over to the elegant looking well with Slowpoke designs in its base, eager for a drink of water.

Jessie wasted no time in hoisting up the bucket--only to find sand inside instead of water! "Any more bright ideas?" she grumbled as she lowered the bucket back into the well.

"We could try dousing rods..." James suggested.

"But then we'd have to dig for the water, and that would be too much trouble in the heat!" Jessie reminded him. "There's a reason the weatherman tells you to limit strenuous activity when it's hot!"

"You're forgettin' we have the Diglitank here..." Meowth grinned as he pressed a button on a small remote, making a giant machine that looked like a cross between a tank and a Diglett emerge from a nearby rock.

Jessie smiled. "Meowth, you're a genius! Who needs shovels and picks when we can cover a whole lot of ground at once?"

All three Rockets giddily climbed aboard, and created a large hole in the road as the tank burrowed underground.

For a while, there was nothing interesting to see in the tunnel as the tank burrowed through the earth. But after about an hour, the Rockets emerged into a large underground cave. "Wow..." Jessie asked, amazed over the crystals that formed in the cave.

"Wait a minnit..." Meowth mused as he stopped the tank. "Where dere's crystals...dere has ta be..."

"WATER!!!!" the Rockets cried as they scrambled out of the tank, and hurried towards a huge sparkling pool of water. But they stopped in their tracks when they found themselves surrounded by hundreds of large pink creatures with curled ears and vacant expressions on their faces.

Meowth noticed a sign near where his companions were standing. "Dis is Slowpoke Well--da story goes dat Slowpoke have da power ta make it rain when dey yawn."

He sighed. "Who believes dose kinds of fairy tales, anyway?"

"But what if it's true, Meowth?" Jessie gasped, excited.

"We could capture the Slowpoke and get rich by charging the townspeople to have them make it rain!" James suggested. The Rockets giggled with excitement as they retreated to the tank to discuss the particulars of their latest plot.

---------

"Welcome to Azalea Town...where people and Pokémon live in happy harmony." Brock read as the group approached a wooded area near some mountains, where they could see rooftops and buildings in the distance.

"Finally!" Ash smiled as the group made their way into town. "I am SO ready for my second badge!"

"What's the hurry? I kinda want to see the sights." Misty suggested as she pulled Ash back. "Like this Kurt guy, who makes his own Poke Balls, for a small fee."

"Besides, the Gym is closed because of the drought." Brock agreed, showing Ash a sign on the path leading to the Gym that said "NO CHALLENGES TODAY DUE TO DROUGHT." "So I think it'd be fun to watch a Poké Ball maker at work."

"Okay..." Ash sighed in defeat.

Misty, meanwhile, noticed that all the signs depicted Slowpokes, people openly dressed up as Slowpokes, Slowpoke dolls and trinkets were in all the shops, and a music store had a book open to the tune "The Slowpoke's Yawn". "There's Slowpoke stuff everywhere..."

"Not to mention Slowpokes themselves..." Brock noted as he observed Slowpokes lying in the road. Some stared into the distance, others were curled up, asleep, and a few would begrudgingly get up to allow a person to pass before plopping back on the path again.

"Is this place a shrine to Slowpoke or someth--!" A low pitched howl suddenly got Ash's attention. When he looked down to see what he had stepped on, he saw a Slowpoke with a pained look on its face. "Uh, sorry, big guy." he apologized.

"How dare you step on one of our Slowpokes' tails?" a woman gasped.

"It was an accident, I didn't know!" Ash pleaded as more angry townsfolk, including the woman, approached the group. "We only arrived in town today!"

"That doesn't matter!" a man retorted. "Locals and visitors alike are supposed to respect the Slowpokes, and you will pay the price for causing one pain!"

"No time to ask questions, we need to go!" With that, Brock led the others into the main district, being careful not to step on any more Slowpoke tails as they rushed to avoid the angry mob.

After weaving past shops, nearly snarling traffic, and ducking down a sidepath, Misty noticed that the group had arrived in a park. "I think we lost them..."

"Talk about an overreaction...." Ash grumbled--he had not expected an angry mob to chase them for merely stepping on a Slowpoke tail. "I apologized and everything!"

"That won't be enough, travelers..." an older man in a Slowpoke costume cautioned. "For now, just put these on and lie very still." he instructed as he gave the group three Slowpoke costumes.

Ash sighed as he heard the rumble and shouts of the approaching crowd. "I guess we have no choice, guys..."

When the crowd arrived in the park a few moments later, they came to a screeching halt when they saw four Slowpokes lounging by the fountain--one was playing with a Pikachu, one was sprawled over the fountain, and one was observing a Vulpix, in addition to one staring at the sky.

Minutes seemed to tick by like hours as Ash--inside the Slowpoke costume--would periodically bat at Tintri to keep up the ruse. Geez, I'm hot...

"Okay, the coast is clear!" he heard their rescuer say.

Misty was first to remove her costume head. "How do you even stand being in one of these on a day like today?" she asked as she got up from the fountain.

"I'll say--these feel like a sauna!" Ash agreed as he got up and started removing the sweat drenched costume.

Brock, meanwhile, was the farthest along at getting out of the costume. "If you don't mind my asking, sir, why are the Slowpoke so important?" he asked as Hinata brought him his story notebook. "I'm an amateur storyteller competing in the Lore Stage, and the tale might make some good material."

"I see--the clouds and red stripe on your vest made that clear." the man grinned.

Once Brock had a pen to write with, the man began "Long ago, there was a drought just like this in Azalea Town. One day a Slowpoke came to the town, and the people wondered who it belonged to--or if it was a wild one. One day, when it yawned, it started to rain, and the town was saved. Since then, Slowpoke have been treated with the deepest respect."

"No wonder the townsfolk got so mad at Ash stepping on one..." Misty mused as Brock finished copying down the bones of the man's story"

Suddenly, something dawned on the man. "Oh, look at the time! I just remembered the errand I had to do today!"

"Who was our rescuer?" Misty wondered as the man dashed away, still in costume.

"I don't know, but we need to thank him later for saving our skins." Brock smiled as he pocketed his story notebook, with his pen neatly clipped to the cover. "For now, let's go see Kurt."

To Be Continued...

13. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 29: Blame It on the Rain

As the group arrived in a small forested area, where a modest house stood, a brown haired girl ran to meet them. "Are you looking for someone?" she asked.

"We're looking for someone named Kurt...do you know where he is?" Misty asked.

The girl smiled. "Yeah--Kurt's my grandad! He came home in a hurry just a little while ago, but when I has him what was wrong, he said something terrible happened at Slowpoke Well, and was going there to find out what that something terrible was. I hope he's okay..."

"We'll go help your grandad, okay?" Ash offered.

"You will?" Thanks!" the girl smiled. She waved goodbye as the group departed.

After retracing their steps back to the well, Ash led the way underground, with Brock not far behind. "Remember, stay together, as appealing as splitting up may sound." Brock cautioned as the three friends carefully climbed below the ground into the crystalline cave.

"Is someone there?" a familiar voice groaned in the distance. "I need help..."

Misty recognized a prone pink form on the ground. "Our rescuer from before!"

Ash hurried over to the man's side. "Hey...as thanks for helping us before, we want to help you in return." he assured the man.

"Can you tell us what happened here?" Misty asked as Brock examined the costumed man for injuries.

"I saw two hoodlums in a tank-like machine chasing the Slowpoke, laughing with glee as the sharp points cut their tails." the man weakly explained. "I yelled at them to stop, but they fancied me a large Slowpoke, and chased after me. Try as I might to get away, I tripped on a rock and hurt my back...and here I am."

"You guys go on ahead, I'll take care of our friend here." Brock began as he retrieved some medicine from his bag.

"Got it!" Misty replied as she and Ash hurried off into the deeper reaches of the cave.

---------

Great--Team Rocket's followed me here to Johto to cause even more trouble! Ash grumbled to himself as he followed Misty through the glittering cave. They likely won't rest until they have Tintri, but they're not gonna get him! I would gladly give my life for him if I had to, but he doesn't deserve to be the pet of a gang of criminals!

When he and Misty arrived in the largest room of the gave, he balked when he saw Team Rocket capturing more Slowpoke with nets. "Okay, Team Rocket! If you're gonna cut the Slowpoke tails, you're gonna have to answer to me!"

[Yeah!] Tintri agreed.

"You realize that the floor of the cave is wet, twerp?" James shot back. "So any electric attacks will shock the Slowpoke too."

"Then I'll just fight water with water!" Ash retorted before heaving a Poké Ball skyward. "River, I choose you!"

[Leave it to me!] River smiled as she emerged in a flash of light. [I may not look it, but I can lift heavy things like this tank!]

With that, she nimbly hoisted the tank in her paws, and heaved it into the air, Team Rocket screaming all the while. [Whoa--you weren't kidding when you said you could lift heavy stuff!] Tintri gasped in amazement.

A hiss of an approaching missile snapped him to attention. [River! Watch out!]

[AUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!] River screamed as the missile sent her flying across the cave, landing at Ash's feet. [Ash...I'm sorry...] was all she could say before she fainted.

The whir of the tank moving got Misty's attention. "There! They're trying to escape by digging a tunnel into the floor!" she called, pointing out the tank attempting to drill through the floor.

Just then, Brock arrived. "I have our rescuer stabilized--did I miss anything?"

"Team Rocket knocked River out with a missile, and now they're digging a hole in the floor." Misty reported. "We have to hold them off somehow."

Ash watched, bemused, as the remaining Slowpoke all stood up and began to walk out of the cave. "Weird...where are the Slowpoke going?"

"Let's follow them and see!" Brock led the way outside, making sure not to lose the Slowpokes in the winding tunnels.

They emerged on the edge of the cliff that surrounded the well, where all the Slowpokes were gathering. Once all the Slowpokes had arrived, they started yawning, which made the sky cloud up!

"By Arceus...it's raining!" Misty gasped as sure enough, rain began falling.

"It's coming down hard--let's get up on the well's roof." Brock suggested before helping the man up first, then climbing up himself. Ash followed Brock, and Misty brought up the rear.

From their position atop the roof, the group watched as water poured into the cave and down into the tunnel that Team Rocket had attempted to dig. After a few tense moments, the tank was washed out of the tunnel, cracked in two.

Ash grinned as he saw Team Rocket crawl out of the wrecked tank. "Fire when ready, pardner."

[AI-YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!] Tintri screeched as he unleashed a Thunder attack, which was made even more powerful by the rain.

"Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off AGAIN!!!!" the Rockets cried as the tank and its occupants went flying into the stormy skies with a ping.

Brock smiled, relieved that all was well again. "I wonder if there's any truth to the tale of the Slowpoke making it rain..."

"I'd like to think so." Ash smiled. "You've said it before--there's a grain of truth to every story."

"Your friend's right--the world is full of mysteries indeed." the man agreed. "Let's get back to town."

---------

Back in town, cheers filled the air as the river rushed by and the crops recovered. "...this young man and his friends have shown great character, and meant no harm to the Slowpokes before--they were travelers, and unaware of the rule against harming them." the man explained to the townsfolk. "Can you find it in your hearts to forgive an accident?"

"If they saved our town, we forgive them wholeheartedly!" the woman from before replied, to cheers from the crowd..

"How would you three like a tour of Azalea Town?" the man offered. "As thanks for your help."

"We'd love to, but we have to find Kurt--Ash was interested in seeing some of his handmade Poke Balls." Misty explained.

The group balked as the man removed his costume to reveal a dull teal kimono-like outfit. "I am Kurt, and he is me."

He smiled. "At the very least, I can give you some lodging at the house--I hope Maizie's all right..."

"She was worried about you--but at least now we can tell her you're okay!" Ash smiled, relieved that at least for now, all was well in the world.

To Be Continued...

14. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Interlude: Plans and Dreams

"I can't even begin to thank you after what you did for me back there..." Kurt smiled. It had been a few days since the drought in the Azalea Town had ended, and no one was more relieved than Ash. "But considering how i saved you from the angry townsfolk, I guess we're even."

He noticed Maizie looking up at him. "Would you mind telling me why the three of you travel?"

"I'm hoping to win the Johto League!" Ash confidently replied.

Kurt just smiled. "And I believe you will, with your brave Pokémon--I'm sure Bugsy would be happy to battle you."

"Bugsy?" Misty swallowed hard at the prospect of seeing bugs.

"Misty's a little leery around some kinds of bugs." Brock explained. "Pretty bugs, like Butterfree and Ledyba are okay, but anything that bites or stings and she will use you as a shield." Misty blushed a little at this.

Kurt just chuckled. "I'm sure she would be fine around Mariposa, Bugsy's Beautifly companion--he got her on an expedition to the Houen region."

"I see..." Ash mused before reading up on the exotic Pokémon:

"Beautifly, the butterfly Pokémon. Vibrantly patterned wings are its most prominent feature. It sucks sweet flower nectar with its long mouth."

"Wow!" Misty gasped, awed by the exotic Pokémon's colorful wings. "So pretty!"

"Remember 'Legendary Idol Kochou'? Brock reminded Misty. "And Niji the Beautifly?"

"One of my favorite TV shows!" Maizie raved before singing There's a melody playin', on the radio, there's a melody playin', soft and sweet and low, there's a melody playin', I don't know what to do....

There's a melody playin', and it makes me think of you! Ash joined in, to some laughter.

"Can't you do Kochou's voice?" Misty asked Ash.

"Yeah--but I have to warm up first, or else I'll crack." Ash confessed.

Misty decided to turn the conversation back to its initial topic. "I'm hoping to compete in a water Pokethlon."

"And I'm competing in the Pokémon Lore Stage." Brock explained, proudly showing off his cloud patches and red stripe.

"Where's all the other colors?" Maizie asked.

"I have to earn the other six by telling some good stories." Brock explains. "If you make a rainbow, you get to tell for the Pokémon League."

Maizie smiled. "I hope you all achieve your goals! I want you to win the League..." she told Ash. "...and I want you to be the best water Pokethlete..." she told Misty.

She looked over at Brock. "But I hope you make your rainbow, and tell your stories for the best trainers in the world!" Brock just blushed a little, flattered he had a fan.

"If you need to call anyone and update them on your progress, the phone is over there." Kurt began, pointing out a phone by the PC.

"Thanks!" Ash hurried to the phone and wasted no time in dialing Prof. Oak's number.

Misty and Brock joined Ash around the phone as it flashed "DIALING" on the screen. After a few tense moments, the image of Oak in his lab appeared on the screen. "Hello?"

"Hi, professor--we made it to Azalea Town." Ash began. "We're staying with this guy named Kurt."

"Really?" Prof. Oak was interested. "You picked a good person to stay with--Kurt makes a living making special Poké Balls using Apricorns."

"Apricorns?" Ash was interested.

Prof. Oak nodded. "Apricorns are special fruits that are native to the Johto region. They appear to be related to Berries, although more research is needed."

He smiled. "Maybe if you ask very nicely, he might make some for you all."

He then noticed the clock on the wall. "Oh my, look at the time! This week I'll find out if Kelly confesses her feelings to Nicholas or not! Gotta go!" With that, the call ended.

Misty sighed. "The professor loves his soap operas..."

"And woe betide the person that makes him miss a week." Brock agreed. "Never mind it's the same old plot recycled a million times over."

Ash meanwhile, found Kurt at his workbench. "Would you please make me and my friends some Poké Balls?"

"Sure!" Kurt replied. "You bring me some Apricorns from the groves, and I'll make you all the Poke Balls you want."

"I'll take our guests to see the Apricorn trees back behind the house, Grandad!" Maizie volunteered before motioning for the group to follow her to a forested area that was accessible from the back yard...

To Be Continued...

15. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 30: Gone Apricorn!

"Wow..." the group gasped as Maize opened the back door, allowing them to see rolling hills and a vast forest filled with trees bearing many colorful fruits. Every so often a Rattata would romp by or a Butterfree would land on a flower to indulge in its nectar, but otherwise, the groves were quiet and peaceful.

"It's beautiful..." Misty finally broke the silence some moments later.

Maizie smiled. "If you'll come with me, we'll go explore the groves. Just take a basket if you plan on picking any Apricorns."

"I'm gonna pick any and every Apricorn I can find!" Ash cried before dashing over to a tree with black ball shaped fruits near the grove's entrance.

"Whoa there, pardner--those black Apricorns aren't even ripe yet." Maizie cautioned as she and the others caught up to Ash.

"What about those blue ones?" Ash asked as the group started down the dirt path leading into the groves, pointing out a tree with blue Apricorns on the right side of the path.

"Those aren't ripe either." Maizie replied, making Ash sigh.

"What about these pink ones, then?" Ash asked as the group approached a tree with pink Apricorns.

"Those should be ripe--pink Apricorns make Love Balls." Maizie began.

"Love Balls--you think they would catch Officer Jenny or Nurse Joy?" Now Brock was excited.

A blast of water from Misty's Pokémon answered his question. "Nice try, loverboy, but I don't think Poke Balls work that way." Misty scolded as Maizie gave Brock a towel, giggling all the while. "Now, behave yourself, and be a good example for Maizie!"

Meanwhile, Ash looked up at the towering tree dotted in pink Apricorns. "Next question--how are we supposed to pick the Apricorns, bud?" he asked Tintri.

[Well, we could try shaking the tree...] Tintri suggested as the others arrived.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you--wild Pineco like nesting in Apricorn trees, so you could get an explosive surprise." Maizie cautioned.

Misty sighed as Ash started gently shaking the tree. "Too late..."

Brock panicked when he saw blue-green, pinecone-like Pokémon with red eyes falling to the ground alongside the pink Apricorns. "Ash!" he cried as he hurried to try and catch the falling Pinecos. "Watch out for the..."

This was as far as Brock got before tripping over a rock and landing face first into the tree, which caused all the Pineco to explode, leaving him to cough up the soot.

"You okay, Brock?" Ash asked as he hurried to help his friend, blissfully unaware of just how dangerously close he had been to the explosion.

Brock coughed up some more soot before replying "I'm fine, but when someone says not to shake a tree, they MEAN don't shake a tree!" Ash nodded to show he understood as Brock coughed up soot, then consulted his Pokédex for more information on the small explosive Pokémon:

"Pineco, the bagworm Pokémon. It hangs from a tree branch and patiently waits for prey to come along. If it is disturbed while eating by someone shaking its tree, it drops down to the ground and explodes with no warning."

"NOW you tell me..." Ash grumbled as he and the others continued following Maizie, Brock coughing up soot all the while.

---------

"Okay...this is a red Apricorn tree, which make Level Balls." Maizie explained as the group approached another tree. "To safely pick the Apricorns without disturbing the Pinecos, only take the Apricorns on the lowest branches."

"Lowest branches...got it!" Ash smiled before motioning for Misty and Brock to follow him to the tree.

He did not, however, expect the ground to give way and fall into a pit! "WAUUUUGH!"

"How nice of you to drop by, try not to cause any trouble!" he heard a familiar female voice say.

"And if you do try and escape, the pain will be double!" a male voice agreed.

Ash's vision came into focus, allowing him to see Jessie and James staring back down at him. "Team Rocket!"

"Who'd ya expect? The Elite Four?" Meowth smirked as he lassoed Tintri and pulled him out of the pit.

"While you're thinking of a way out of here, we're gonna use our Vacuumax 3000 to take every last Apricorn here, and your Pikachu too!" James announced as Jessie stuffed Tintri into a shock proof jar.

"Hey, Ash..." Brock whispered. "Mareep and its evolutions can use the Rock move Power Gem...maybe that can make stepping stones for us to climb out of here?"

"Good idea..." Ash then heaved a Poké Ball skyward. "Luce, we need your help!"

[Looks to me you need a way out of this Diglett hole!] Luce smiled before creating a flurry of shining diamond-like projectiles, which embedded themselves in the pit walls to create a kind of stairwell.

"Thanks, Luce." Ash petted the tiny sheep Pokémon before recalling it. He then started up the stairway of Power Gems. Misty and Brock were not far behind, just in time to see Jessie, James, and Meowth go tumbling into a Diglett hole, making the shock-proof jar pop open and allowing Tintri to run into Ash's arms.

"You guys okay?" Maizie asked when she met the group.

"Yeah--wasn't our first Team Rocket pit trap, and probably won't be the last one." Misty assured Maizie as the reunited group continued down the path..

---------

"Here's a group of trees you can pick from, so help yourselves!" Maizie smiled as she led the group into a small clearing filled with Apricorn trees.

A low whir and a breeze got Brock's attention as he led the others to the tree. "Funny...was it supposed to be windy today?"

"That's no natural breeze, that's Team Rocket!" Misty screamed over the wind, pointing out Team Rocket laughing gleefully as a large fan-like device blew what they thought were Apricorns to them.

"To protect the world from devastation..." Jessie began

"And unite all peoples within our nation..." James smiled, twirling a rose in his hand. Ash just rolled his eyes at the now familiar motto he, Misty, and Brock had heard a million times before:

"To denounce the evils of truth and love!

"To extend our reach to the stars above!

"Jessie!

"James!"

"Team Rocket! Blast off at the speed of light!

"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!"

"Meowth! Dat's right!"

"Should we tell the Rockets they're sucking up Pinecos instead of Apricorns?" Misty whispered, pointing out a flurry of Pinecos caught in the breeze.

Brock realized what would happen if the Pinecos did unleash their explosive power on Team Rocket, quickly took an arrow, and aimed into the airstream, being careful not to injure any of the Pinecos. "Brock? What are you--!" Misty wondered before Brock fired, neatly catching seven Pinecos on the arrow shaft before landing in the ground, leaving the Pinecos unharmed.

"I see--the arrows mimic tree branches, so the Pineco have something to hang from!" Ash smiled as Brock fired another shot into the wind to catch more Pinecos.

He turned to Tintri. "Okay bud, overload that fan with a Thunderbolt!"

[Okay, Rockets! This is payback for earlier!] Tintri defiantly called before sending a huge Thunderbolt at the large fan--shorting out its main power supply and hampering its ability to blow.

One Pineco saw an opportunity to attack. [I'm gonna save my friends and our tree from these hoodlums!]

"While that is a noble goal, it's also very dangerous." Brock explained as he fired another arrow into the breeze to rescue more Pinecos. Misty was already on the ground, helping Ash and Maizie pick up the Pineco filled arrows dotting the ground and carefully returning the Pinecos to the tree.

[Then, can I help you save my friends?] the Pineco replied as Brock set aside his archery gear to dig a Fast Ball from his bag--a gift from Kurt for rescuing him at the well a few days before.

"Just touch this, and you can come with me." Brock offered, holding the yellow and red striped ball out to the Pineco.

He smiled as the Pineco went inside with a flash of red light, moments before the fan exploded, sending Team Rocket flying into the air with a ping.

"Good riddance..." Misty smiled as she hung the last Pineco back on the tree. "Oh, did you capture a Pineco?" she asked.

Brock nodded as he gathered up his archery gear. "One of them decided it wanted to come with me."

He then let out his new Pineco for his friends to see. "I'm gonna name him Silver."

"That's a cool name!" Ash smiled.

"I like it too, but what matters is if the Pineco likes it." Misty reminded Brock.

"How bout it? You like Silver as your name?" Brock asked his new Pineco.

[I LOVE it!] Silver cried before unleashing an explosion of approval, making everyone laugh as Brock coughed up more soot.

"I'll take that as a yes..." Brock managed to whisper before coughing some more...

To Be Continued...

16. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 31: It's Tough to Beat a Bug! (part 1)

"You're watching 'Places and People' live on location on KNTO!" Misty announced into an old karaoke microphone with the batteries removed, much to Brock's amusement. "This week, we're reporting live from Azalea Town in Johto, where rising superstar Trainer Ash Ketchum seeks to take another step towards Johto League glory by taking on Azelea Gym."

"Remind me why Misty decided to play TV host again?" Ash asked Brock as the group made their way to the gym, aware of people curiously staring at them and wondering if a real TV broadcast was going on, or if the group was only pretending.

"She just found that old mic, took the batteries out, and proceeded to play TV host for her team and Maizie all night." Brock sighed. "I even had to play 'co-host' a few times..."

Ash was suddenly surprised by Misty shoving the mic in his face. "Tell us, Ash--how do you think your impending battle's going to go?"

"Uh...I think I can win..." Ash stammered. True, Misty was only pretending, but it didn't change the fact that he had gotten dragged into the game against his will.

"You sure? You haven't got your faithful Charizard Blaze with you this time, and he's come though for you many times before." Mistyy cautioned.

"I may not have Blaze, but I do have Cyndy--and she has plenty of fire power!" Ash confidently replied, never mind he wasn't on a real TV show.

"A fitting answer from an aspiring champion!" Misty announced as the group approached the gym. "When we come back, we'll watch Ash's epic match and see if his Cyndaquil will be enough to take down the Gym Leader!"

With that, she put the mic away. "How real TV hosts can be this loud constantly is beyond me...my voice is already tired."

"It's called 'projecting your voice'--it's also a big help in acting." Brock explained as he opened the door. "Ladies first."

Just then, a butterfly-like Pokémon with magnificently colored wings met them. [Hello there--which of you is challenging the Leader?] she asked.

"I am!" Ash replied.

The butterfly Pokémon nodded. [All right, this way.]

After following the butterfly Pokémon down a corridor and into a large open arena that resembled a forest clearing, Misty suddenly felt sick to her stomach. <i>Oh great...a forest...</i>

"Everything okay?" Brock asked, concerned over Misty's nauseated face.

"Why do I get the feeling something's going to jump out at us?" Misty stammered. "You do know I don't like most bugs?"

"I do, but keep in mind most bug Pokémon are more afraid of you than you are of them--although there are some that like getting up close and personal with humans." Brock reminded her.

About then, a Caterpie dangled on a leaf before Misty. [Hi!]

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!" Misty's scream resounded all through the city.

"Not so hard, Misty..." Brock muttered as Misty clung to him in fear.

Giggling got Ash's attention, spurring him to look up in the treetops, where he noticed a dull lavender haired boy in safari gear watching the group from a tree. "Hey, calm down, none of the bugs here are gonna hurt you." he assured the group.

"W-who are you?" Misty stammered.

"I'm Bugsy! I never lose when it comes to Bug-type Pokémon." the boy replied as he jumped down from the tree with the grace of a Meowth. "You've already met Mariposa, my Beautifly hostess." he grinned as the butterfly Pokémon that had escorted them fluttered by his side. "But I've collected a lot more exotic bugs from other regions besides her--and it's been a big help to my research about them!"

He bowed before the group. "If you wish, I can demonstrate what I've learned from my studies."

"Uh, that's okay--I'll just watch from a distance." Misty stammered, all the while trying to keep her fear of biting and stinging bugs at bay.

"I'll gladly be your willing test subject!" Ash declared. "For I am Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town, seeking Johto League glory!"

"All right..." Bugsy gestured to a spectator's area. "Mariposa, if you would show Ash's companions to the stands, please."

[Right away.] the Beautifly nodded.

---------

"Representing the Gold side, Gym Leader Bugsy and Charlotte!" a referee announced as Bugsy released a small green spider-like Pokémon. "And representing the Silver side, Ash Ketchum and Cyndy!"

[Bring it, webspinner!] Cyndy taunted.

[Does anyone need to make any preparations before the match?] Mariposa asked as she delivered a pair of flags to the referee.

"May I have a chance to size up my opponent?" Ash asked the referee.

"Pokédex usage is allowed provided it does not give you an unfair advantage." the referee reminded Ash.

Ash nodded, the consulted his Pokédex to read up on his opponent:

"Spinarak, the string spit Pokémon. It spins a web using fine, but durable, thread. It then waits patiently for prey to be trapped."

"Are both sides ready?" the referee asked, snapping Ash back to reality.

Cheers went up in reply from both Bugsy and Ash. "Okay! Three...two...one..."

The referee's whistle hardly had time to echo through the forested battlefield before Ash called to Cyndy "Open with a Flamethrower!"

"Charlotte, use String Shot!" Bugsy called at the same time.

The ball of fire Cyndy had been preparing to fire when she saw the strands of thread coming at her fizzled out. She jumped to the left to avoid one, right to avoid another, ducked under a third, and narrowly missed jumping over a fourth. [Missed me!] she taunted.

Bugsy grimaced that all the String Shots had missed. "Okay, Charlotte, switch gears to Poison Sting!"

[Ah!] Cyndy yelped as the Spinarak fired a stinger at her, which landed in her back. [Eep! Ow! Oof!]

Ash watched, wincing every time Cyndy cried in pain from the Poison Sting. The last straw came when Cyndy received a fifth Poison Sting, losing her balance. "Cyndy! Hang in there!"

Bugsy smiled. Now's my chance! Let's see how Ash fares without a fire type!

He called "Charlotte, use Poison Sting again!"

"Cyndy! Come back!" Ash gasped, quickly recalling Cyndy and heaving another Poké Ball skyward. "Let's go, River!"

[Aw, yeah!] River cried as she spun past the Poison Sting and landed in the arena. [Is that all you've got, eight-legs?]

Bugsy balked at the Marill before him--he had not counted on Ash to switch Pokémon! "You realize that neither of us have any clear advantage, sending a Water type against a bug?"

"It takes more than type advantage to win a Pokémon battle!" Ash grinned. River nodded in agreement.

TO BE CONTINUED...

17. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 32: It's Tough to Beat a Bug! (part 2)

"Charlotte, use String Shot!" Bugsy commanded, only to watch as the Marill twirled out of the way and prepared to heave a Water Gun at the Spinarak. "Charlotte, watch out!"

"River, heads up!" Ash called as the Spinarak fired a Poison Sting at River.

[You're think with this big game of keep away we're playing, we're gonna be fighting forever!] River complained as she jumped to avoid a String Shot.

"Then we need to step up our game a bit!" Ash grinned.

Bugsy's voice snapped him back to reality. "Charlotte, use Poison Sting!"

"River, time to evolve your Water Gun to Water Pulse, then shield yourself with Aqua Ring!" Ash commanded.

River nodded, formed a ball of water in her paws, then heaved the ball at the ground. [Take this, webspinner!] she taunted as the ball turned into a huge wave of water.

She grinned when she heard the splash of an impact moments later. [Bullseye.] she smiled before Water droplets formed around her body, expanding to create three rings of water that surrounded River, protecting her from any further attacks.

"What?" Bugsy gasped--he had not expected River to go on the defensive. "And here I was thinking this would be a test of power and agility!"

"Sometimes the best offense is a good defense." Ash explained as River rammed into the Spinarak, making it faint.

"Charlotte is unable to battle--the round goes to Silver." the referee announced, to Misty and Brock's applause from the spectator's zone.

Bugsy just grinned. "Two can play at that game--let's see you try and penetrate my tank bug, Metapod!"

Misty, meanwhile, was confused. "What good will a Metapod do if all it can do is harden itself?" she wondered as a familiar green chrysalis Pokémon appeared in the Gold side of the arena.

"In the wild, Metapods are capable of defending themselves if threatened." Brock replied. "Especially if raised from a Caterpie."

Oh yeah--Ash once owned a Metapod! Misty remembered as she watched to see what her friend would do next.

He calls his Metapod a tank? I've owned a Metapod before, so how hard can this one be? Ash thought as he sized up the Pokémon before him.

He then called "River, slam into the Metapod with an Aqua Jet!"

[HAAAAAAAAAH!] River cried as her body was surrounded by water. As she streaked in to tackle her opponent, the Metapod turned silver, making it seem like River had impacted a solid wall. [Ow...]

"So much for a physical approach...River, try Water Pulse again!" Ash called.

[All right!] River smiled as she formed a ball of water in her paws, then heaved the ball at the ground. [Let's see if a tank can stand against this!] she taunted as the ball turned into a huge wave of water.

She watched in horror as the Metapod's body turned silver again, making the wateer run off of him. [Maybe a tank can stand against my Water Pulse....] she stammered as she looked to Ash for ideas of what to do next.

"Okay! Chrys, jump and use Tackle!" Bugsy commanded.

[Oh no...] was all River could say before the Metapod slammed into her, making her go flying across the arena, landing at her master's feet. [Ash...I'm sorry...] she wheezed before fainting.

"Both sides now have two Pokémon apiece--make your next selection, Silver." the referee instructed.

Ash whistled towards the bench, snapping Tintri to attention. [I'll avenge River for you!] he smiled as he ran into the arena.

"Chrys, Tackle the Pikachu!" Bugsy commanded.

Tintri sensed the Metapod charging, and nimbly jumped over his opponent, sending the Metapod into the Silver safety barrier with a crash and a cloud of dust. [Did it knock itself out?] he wondered as he waited for the dust to clear.

A droning hum got his attention, spurring him to jump out of the way as the Metapod charged again, stiring more dust up in the arena and making it hard for both human competitors, the spectators, and the other bugs to see what was going on.

"Tintri!" he heard Ash call. "When you can see anything, try listening for your target!"

[Got it!] Tintri called before coughing up a little dust.

He saw a dull green form in the dust and heard the low hum signalling the Metapod was charging, and leaped out of the way. After powering out of the way of another aerial Tackle, he charged a Thunderbolt. [HAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!]

"Gold has one Pokémon remaining." the referee announced. "This match goes to Silver."

"It's time for you to meet my ace, Kunai!" Bugsy smiled as he summoned a green winged mantis Pokémon. "Even though it's my last Pokémon, Bug Pokémon are tough!"

Ash, meanwhile, decided to refresh his memory on his opponent:

"Scyther, the mantis Pokémon. When it moves, it leaves only a blur. If it hides in grass, its protective colors make it invisible."

"Okay, Tintri, see if you can paralyze it with a Thunderbolt!" Ash suggested.

[HAH!] Tintri cried, but balked in horror as the Scyter created copies of itself, making the Thunderbolt hit a copy and fizzle to nothing.

"Kunai, Slash the Pikachu!" Bugsy commanded.

"Tintri, aim for the Scyther with a shadow!" Ash called.

[AIIIIII-YAH!] Tintri fired a second Thunderbolt, breaking all the Double Team copies--and seemingly the real Scyther. [Huh? Where'd my opponent go?]

He gasped as a green blur ambushed him, slamming him to the ground and repeatedly slashing him with its scythes. [That Scyther is too much...] he wheezed as he retreated to the sidelines to recover, battered and beaten.

"Both sides now have one Pokémon remaining." the referee announced.

Ash retrieved Cyndy's Poké Ball. "I know you're tired, Cyndy, but I hope you can come through for me!"

He heaved the Poké Ball skyward. "Welcome back, Cyndy!"

[It's good to be back...] Cyndy smiled.

"Think you have enough strength in you to take out a Scyther?" Ash asked.

[I can try...that Spinarak wore me down before.] Cyndy replied.

"Listen closely--Scyther is powerful and fast, but I need you to prove you're faster before we move in with Flamethrower--got it?" Ash asked.

[I'll do my best.] Cyndy replied.

With that, she jumped out of the way of a Fury Cutter. Frustrated over missing the tiny Cyndaquil, the Scyther used Double Team and Fury Cutter together to make it appear there were hundreds of attacks were coming at once! But Cyndy nimbly dodged every blade like a pro. If I had use my fire to dispel the illusions, I have a chance of hitting the real one!

She took a deep breath and heaved a stream of flames at the illusions, but she did not expect the real Scyther to deflect it by a ring of shining sword, one of which sent her flying to her end of the arena! [Waugh!!!!]

"Cyndy!" Ash gasped.

"Kunai has a special way of deflecting Fire-type attacks by using Swords Dance." Bugsy explained. "It could even take down a Charizard!"

He then called to his Scyther "Use Swords Dance and Fury Cutter together!"

"Cyndy! Jump above Scyther and use Flamethrower from the air!" Ash nearly screamed, hoping all the while his last desperate attempt at a victory would work.

His panicked face turned to joy as Cyndy's aerial attack sent the Scyther flying, a final Tackle sending it against the Gold safety barrier with a THUD.

"Gold is unable to battle--Silver wins the match!" the referee announced, to cheers from Misty and Brock in the spectator area.

Bugsy was stunned at Ash's comeback. "Whoa, amazing! You're an expert on Pokémon!"

"I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have learned much on my travels." Ash replied as he and Bugsy shook hands.

"My research isn't complete yet....I still have a lot to learn." Bugsy smiled as Mariposa brought him a pillow with a small badge that resembled a Ledyba's markings. "As a memento of your incredible comeback and creative victory here today, take this Hive Badge."

"Thank you..." Ash replied, his eyes shining with joyful tears as he took the badge.

"Go on and hold it high for the world to see--it'll make a nice shot for the Winners' Wall." Bugsy assured Ash as he prepared to take a picture.

Ash nodded, and held his new Badge high. "We did it! We got a Hive Badge!"

---------

"We cannot express enough our gratitude for allowing us to stay with you, Kurt." Misty smiled as the group prepared to leave that evening.

"The pleasure's all mine--you three were wonderful houseguests." Kurt replied. "I wish you all many more adventures and safe travels."

"WAAAAAAAIIIIT!" Maizie called as she hurried out to meet the group, clutching a large box in her hands. "Here's a thank you gift from me and Grandad--Poke Balls from the Apricorns you gave us yesterday."

"Aw, thank you!" Misty smiled as she accepted the case, and looked inside. "Wow...there's Lure Balls, Fast Balls, Love Balls..."

"All kinds of Poke Balls!" Brock was equally impressed at the hundreds of Poke Balls inside the case.

"Thanks, both of you." Ash replied. "We promise we will use these well!"

To Be Continued...

18. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Interlude: Focus Group in the Forest

"Well done on your second Badge." Misty smiled as the group rounded a corner and approached a large thick forest. "Even if it was bug related."

"You have to admit, Mariposa was a real sweetheart." Brock agreed before reaching for his guidebook and flipping to the chapter about the forest that loomed in the distance. "We are approaching the Ilex Forest--the forest's trees are so close together that all light is blocked out, and the forest seems to be in a perpetual night."

"That's very reassuring..." Ash stammered as the group entered the massive forest.

"There is a small shrine somewhere in the forest dedicated to the Legendary Pokémon Celebi, the Voice of the Forest." Brock went on. "Supposedly, if one makes an acceptable offering, Celebi will appear to you and take you through time, although stories of this occurring have not been documented, so many dismiss it as an urban legend."

He read a little farther on in the chapter. "The forest is also home to a special pair of Pichus--a female with a spiked ear, and a male who is colored like Pikachu--those that see them are said to have great luck. The spiked ear Pichu has been named Mimi, and her Pikachu colored companion is named Taji."

Just then, giggles got his attention as a spiked eared Pichu and a Pichu colored like Pikachu dashed before the group. "Speak of Darkrai..."

"Hi there, little guys!" Misty smiled as she knelt down to pet the two Pichus.

Ash realized that the group was in an open clearing, with plenty of room for a campfire. That, and his PokeNav said it was noon. "I have no qualms of stopping for lunch if you want to play with Mimi and Taji for a while."

"Then let's start a campfire--I'm getting a little hungry myself." Misty agreed.

[If you need wood for your fire, follow me!] Taji smiled, leading Ash and Misty over to a large pile of dead sticks and twigs.

Once the group had started a campfire and some meat was simmering over the flames, Mimi noticed the red stripe and clouds on Brock's vest. [Oh! Are you maybe a storyteller competing in something?]

"Yeah...I could use some practice for the next round..." Bock smiled.

"We'll be happy to rate your stories." Misty offered.

Ash proceeded to heave all his Poke Balls skyward. "Come on out, everyone!"

"You guys, as well!" Misty did likewise, creating a crowd of Pokémon around the campfire.

Brock smiled, flattered at the size of his test audience. "Once upon a time something happened--if it hadn't happened, it wouldn't be told." he began, signalling that his show was beginning.

With that, he began "There was once a wealthy farmer who had three sons. The oldest--whose name is not important--was a selfish and overbearing fellow. The second--his name is not important either--was a weak hearted young man who always did everything his brother suggested. The youngest, whose name was Jeran, was not as bright and clever as his brothers, but he was honest and, most importantly, he had a good heart."

He added as an aside "We all know that in this world a good heart is more likely to bring its owner happiness than evil thoughts."

"A wise lesson." Misty smiled...

---------

"...He was delighted, too, at having Princess Oriane in the house, and pleased when people came from far and near to see Epona, the miracle Leppa tree, and the Crystal Chalice." Brock continued. "He even began to hope that she might marry one of his sons before some prince came along and claimed her. He thought Princess Oriane would make a wonderful bride for the oldest. But Jeran told him what ingrates the two older sons were, as the older brothers themselves had led their father to believe that it was really they who had found the magic Grepa vine and rescued Princess Oriane. When his father learned the truth, they were cast out of the house, never to return again. Instead of being grateful to Jeran for having saved their necks from the angry farmers, they hated him more than ever. But they were powerless to do anything against Jeran, for he had Kitsune's and Arceus' favor upon him."

He smiles "What prince, I'd like to know, had a lovelier bride? None! Was there any prince in the world whose bride brought him greater riches than the miracle Leppa-tree, the Legendary shining steed, Epona, and the Crystal Chalice? Not one! In addition to all of this, the farmer promised that, when he died, he would leave him the magic Grepa vine."

He concluded "And so it was that Jeran lived happy and prosperous. After all, it all came about through his having a good honest heart."

Applause went up. "Okay...it's an interesting version of the Moltres story." Ash began.

"I felt it was a bit too long." Misty noted. "Remember you may have a time limit in a Lore Stage, so a really long story may not work."

"Pokémon? Any suggestions?" Brock asked the crowd of Pokémon.

[It was too long..] Mimi yawned.

[Yeah, there were several places you could've ended it.] Tintri agreed.

[Oh, it's over?] Ami yawned, [You lost me around Epona...]

"Okay, so save that one for my longer shows, when I don't have competition or possibly a time limit." Brock sighed in defeat.

He then decided to try another story. "There was once an old man and an old woman, and they had three sons; two of them were clever, but the third was not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed."

Giggles go up at this. "The old woman loved the first two, and spoiled them rotten, but the youngest, whose name was Jack, was always mistreated." Brock went on.

[Oh, but sometimes the fools turn out to be wiser than they get credit for.] Hinata grinned.

[That's true.] Spritz agreed.

"One day, rumors flew about a proclamation from the king, which said 'Whoever can build a ship that can fly, will receive my daughter the Princess Briana as his bride, and be named heir to the throne....'"

To Be Continued...

19. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 33: Cutting to the Chase (part 1)

Meanwhile, Kamon trudged through the forest, moaning in pain as he clutched his stomach. Of all the times to run out of food, why did I pick now? he grumbled as his stomach growled. I guess that's what I get for forgetting to replenish my supplies back in town...

A light suddenly got his attention. Could that be Wonderboy and pals?

He thought about approaching the light, but decided against it. I'd better not...walking in on someone's campsite would be epically embarrassing. But I have to get food somewhere...

---------

"Thanks for being my focus group last night." Brock smiled as the group broke camp the next morning. "It really helped me see which stories would work under a time limit and which ones were too long."

"We're not saying you shouldn't use your longer stories in a Lore Stage or practice them, but have some shorter ones in case you are timed." Misty assured Brock.

"Did I mention I love your use of commentary and asides?" Ash grinned as the group got back on the forest path. "Keep doing that!"

He was about to give his friend more feedback when he noticed a black haired boy in a neatly buttoned teal outfit trying to get a brown duck-like Pokémon to cut a tree with a leek. Piqued, he decided to watch the struggle, just as the boy commanded "Okay, Dux--use Cutting!"

[What's 'Cutting'? I don't know of an attack by that name.] the duck Pokémon replied as it trotted away, its leek over its shoulder like a firearm.

Ash, meanwhile, decided to read up on the odd duck Pokémon before intervening:

"Farfetch'd, the wild duck Pokémon. The plant stalk it holds is its weapon. The stalk is used like a sword to cut all sorts of things."

Piqued, Ash approached the boy and the patrolling Farfetch'd. "If you're curious, Cut is the right name for cutting down trees and other things." he offered.

The boy turned a shade of ruby red. "Th-thanks..." he stammered before trying to give the Farfetch'd another command. "Dux, Cut the trees down!"

[Why should I? If you can't even get the move names right, I see no reason to do what you say!] the Farfetch'd replied before resuming its patrol, much to its master's annoyance.

"My name's Sylvester...and I've just started out in Pokémon training." the boy explained to Ash. "I want to make Charcoal like my father does, but I can never remember the attack names."

"Nice to meet you." Ash grinned as Brock and Misty arrived. "I'm Ash, and these are my companions, Misty, and Brock."

"Hi there!" Misty smiled.

"Pleased to meet you." Brock replied.

[Don't forget me!] Tintri smiled as he bounded aboard Ash's shoulder.

Ash giggled a little. "and my Pokémon partner, Tintri."

He explained to Misty and Brock "Sylvester is the son of a Charcoal maker, and is trying to get it to Cut trees down to make Charcoal."

"Really?" Misty was intrigued.

"In fact, the Ilex Forest is world-famous for its purified charcoal." Brock explained, showing Misty a picture of a Charcoal chunk in the guidebook. "So if you ever wondered what I've been using to light the campfire every night, now you know."

"No wonder everything you've made tasted so good!" Ash smiled.

Even Sylvester couldn't help smiling. "Yeah--Charcoal is good for cooking and heating. But for now, I need to teach Dux, my Farfetch'd, how to cut wood into perfect blocks--that's the first step in making Charcoal."

"It seems Dux doesn't want to listen to you..." Misty noted as she observed Dux's smug march as he paced back and forth through the grass.

"You would never believe it now, but Tintri and I started off on somewhat rough terms, too." Ash explained. "At first, he was a little leery around me, and seemed reluctant to do what I asked of him. But I persisted in trying to earn his trust, and eventually he warmed up to me. We've been close friends ever since."

Sylvester looked over at Dux for a moment. "Maybe I need to show Dux he can trust me..."

"Well, if you need any help or advice, we'll be in the local Pokémon Center." Ash assured Sylvester as he motioned for the group to follow him to a familiar red roofed building in a clearing.

---------

In the Pokémon Center, the group watched as the phone screen flashed "DIALING..." for a moment. After a few moments, the image of Prof. Oak in his lab flashed on the screen. "Hello?"

"Hi, Professor--I'm happy to report I've received my second badge!" Ash smiled as he proudly showed off the Hive Badge pinned next to his Zephyr Badge on the right side of his vest.

Prof. Oak smiled. "Well done--I'm sure the battle was hard fought."

"We also received a lot of Kurt's special Poke Balls too--as thanks for being great houseguests." Ash went on, showing off some of the Poke Balls the group had received.

"Oh goodness, that's a lot!" Professor Oak gasped at the sheer number of different balls inside the case. "If you don't mind sending some over for me to examine, I wouldn't mind borrowing some for research purposes."

"You got it!" Ash smiled as he placed one of each type of Poké Ball in the item transfer machine nearby the phone, then entered Prof. Oak's coordinates to complete the transfer.

The Poke Balls had hardly been sent on their way when Sylvester burst into the Pokémon Center. "Nurse Joy! Have you seen Dux anywhere? He ran off after I forgot some attack names again..."

"Try looking for Dux at your father's house, since he went there the last time he ran away." Nurse Joy calmly assured Sylvester before tending to a Growlithe.

Misty shot Brock a warning look as Ash completed his phone call. "The Poke Balls are on their way--you should be receiving them shortly."

The item transfer machine in Oak's lab glowed as the Poke Balls Ash had sent arrived. "They're here--good luck and safe travels!" Prof. Oak smiled before the call ended.

Ash located Sylvester slumped on a couch near the front desk. "I don't get it...why does Dux not want to listen to me?" he sighed. "Dad's gonna kill me if something happens to him..."

"Would you like us to help you find him?" Ash offered as he and the others approached.

"If he's not at your house, we'll comb the forest to make sure Dux is safe!" Misty smiled.

"And maybe show him you're not such a bad trainer after all." Brock agreed.

A smile formed on Sylvester's face. "Okay...I'll let you guys help me find Dux...I only hope he's not dinner for a Mightyena, or something!"

To Be Continued...

20. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 34: Cutting to the Chase (part 2)

The group arrived at a simple wooden cabin some time later. Here we are...this is the house." Sylvester began as he led the group inside, where a man with similar features to Sylvester was watching as a Magmar heated up a furnace to begin the purifying process.

"Dad?" Sylvester began, his heart racing as he feared his father's reaction to the news that Dux was missing. "Dux has...run away again..."

"AGAIN???" the man gasped before the look of shock on his face turned angry. "That's the third time this week! If you presented yourself as a leader for Dux to follow, we wouldn't be having this problem! Do you know why Dux doesn't look up to you? You're afraid, and he can sense that!..."

"Is he implying that Sylvester's a coward?" Misty asked as the man continued to rant. Sylvester would try to defend himself, only to be rebuffed by the man, who would then rant and rave some more.

"I don't think he is, but he needs to have a chance to defend himself...and Dad's not letting that happen..." Brock noted.

Something metallic in his pocket got his attention. "Oh, I forgot I had my referee's whistle in my pocket!"

"Maybe if you blew it to get Dad's attention, Sylvester could defend himself, or we could defend him on his behalf!" Ash smiled.

"Go on, blow it!" Misty urged.

Brock nodded, then blew his whistle with a FWEEEEEEEET!!!!!, silencing the shouting match. "Okay! Clearly there is a problem that needs to be solved, but can't we work it out peacefully?" he asked, aware all the while of the father's angry look and the trembling Sylvester.

"Sylvester may struggle with knowing the attack names and terminology, but that doesn't mean he is stupid or a coward." Ash calmly explains. "It just takes a little longer for him to learn things, and he really is trying his hardest to learn."

The angry look on Sylvester's father's face softened. "Very well, if you believe my son to be a good trainer, you three can go with him into the forest to look for Dux."

"We'll leave no stone unturned in making sure Dux comes home safely!" Misty assured Sylvester's father.

"Yeah, we'll search the whole forest top to bottom!" Sylvester agreed as he led the others outside.

He smiled at Brock. "That was a clever idea to stop my father's ranting--sometimes when he's really angry, he'll rant for hours on end."

"Well, we had to step in before he said something he would likely regret later." Brock explained. "So I used my referee's whistle to call 'time out', if you will."

---------

Meanwhile, Kamon continued trudging through the brush. "So hungry..." he moaned as he clutched his stomach. "There's got to be some wild Berries somewhere...I'd even risk eating some wild mushrooms if it meant I could eat."

As he emerged into another clearing, he gasped as he discovered two rolls on a strange-looking pedestal. "Finally!" he smiled as he hurried up to the pedestal to take a bite. But before he could bite into one of them, he noticed a Weedle on each of the rolls! "Oh ew! Ew-ew-ew!" he yelped, throwing the rolls into the grass for the Weedles to eat. "I'm not eating after wild Pokémon!"

He grinned as Dux emerged into the clearing. "Well, well, well, what have we here? Farfetch'd are crazy rare...so I'm not letting you get away!"

Dux squawked as Kamon lunged at him, then scrambled into an alcove as Kamon approached, frantically looking for a way out. Where's Sylvester? He can rescue me from this red haired punk!

---------

"Here, Dux!" Misty called as the group patrolled the forest.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!" Sylvester called.

"Where are you?" Ash called.

"We're never gonna find Dux at this rate..." Sylvester sighed as he slumped against a tree.

"Why don't we get our Pokémon to help?" Ash suggested. "They probably can see things human eyes can't!"

"Come on out, everyone!" Misty called, heaving her Poke Balls skyward.

"You guys too!" Ash heaved his Poke Balls skyward.

"And you g--!" Brock did likewise before noticing Silver was about to explode. "No! Silver, return!" he almost screamed as he recalled the Pineco.

"That was close..." Misty heaved a relieved sigh.

"Okay gang...we're here to find one of these..." Ash showed the crowd of Pokémon a picture of a Farfetch'd on his Pokédex. "Search everywhere!"

[I'll see what I can find from the air!] Mina offered before flying off.

[I'll take a team this way!] Tintri offered before leading Luce, Hinata, and Cyndy down a north path.

[I'll look to the west.] Argent reported as the other members of Brock's team climbed onto his back.

[We'll go with Misty's team.] River told Ash before she and Brenna joined Misty's team in searching the many ponds and streams in the area for any sigh of Dux.

Back in the brush, Kamon grimaced as Dux flew up to perch on a tree limb, cutting several branches with his leek and causing them to fall on Kamon's head. "Ow...ow...ow..."

He winced from the pain of the falling branches, then heaved a Poké Ball skyward. "Nightwing, I choose you!"

A tiny blue bat-like Pokémon fluttered up to engage Dux up in the tree, but Dux easily bonked it on the head, sending it back down on top of Kamon. [I'm sorry boss...that Farfetch'd is too strong.] it sighed as it slid down to the ground with a plop.

"Okay...Helena and Spike, your turn!" Kamon called as he send out his Gastly and his new Quilava. Helena heaved a Shadow Ball at Dux, but Dux blocked Helena's Shadow Ball with his leek. Not one to be deterred, Helena lunged for the leek, but only ended up catching thin air.

Finally, Spike managed to grab the leek. [I got it!] he called to Kamon.

Panicked, Dux tried to run away, but Kamon lassoed it, causing the Farfetch'd to trip and fall.

Once sure Dux was secure in a netted bag, Kamon considered eating the leek, but decides not to. Maybe the Farfetch'd will be more willing to obey me if it has the leek. he thought, unaware of the Pidgeot that was flying back to report the whole debacle to its master.

---------

[I found Kamon with Farfetch'd!] Mina reported as she fluttered by Ash's side some time later. [He's not far from here!]

"Good job, Mina!" Ash hugged his Pidgeot, then motioned for the others to follow him and Mina.

Kamon winced as Ash and the others arrived in the clearing some moments later. "You've got a lot of nerve coming here, Wonder Boy..."

"Not has half as much nerve as your attempting to snatch another person's Pokémon in broad daylight!" Ash shot back.

Kamon was unfazed. "Tell me something, Wonderboy....is it true that Team Rocket has returned?"

"What does THAT have to do with anything?" Ash snapped. "Not only have they been found here, but we sent them packing after they tried to steal the Slowpoke of Azalea Town."

"What? You beat them?" Kamon gasped.

He laughed as Ash nodded yes. "Quit lying...you couldn't beat them in a million years!"

"Well, if I couldn't beat them in a million years, then how could I have beaten them a million times?" Ash countered, getting frustrated all the while with Kamon's taunts.

"So you're serious?" Kamon challenged. "Then let's see how good you are!"

With that, he raced off into the forest with the bag holding Dux inside over his shoulder. "After him!" Misty called, leading the boys after Kamon.

"River, Luce, use your strongest attacks to free that Farfetch'd!" Ash called as he heaved two Poke Balls, summoning the Marill and the Mareep.

[Hang on, Dux!] River called as she charged a Water Pulse.

[We'll save you!] Luce agreed as her body was surrounded by yellow sparks, allowing her to fire a massive blast of electricity at the bag. The bag fell apart in two charred pieces, freeing Dux. Before he could fly back to Sylvester, he felt himself being grabbed by Nightwing! [Whoa!] he gasped as he looked down on the long drop down below, and tried his hardest not to let go.

"Helena, use Hypnosis on Wonderboy and his Pokémon!" Kamon called.

[Right!] Helena sneered as she stared at Ash and his team, making their eyes swirl. [You are getting sleepy...]

"What's...going..." was all Ash could say before he slumped to the ground, asleep with his Pokémon around him.

Kamon sneered. I've got Wonderboy right where I want him!

He called to his Zubat "Nightwing, use Poison Sting!"

The Zubat screeched in replay as it dove down towards the dozing group, eager to bite them all and poison them. But he came to a screeching halt when he heard a voice sing Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... making a green glow flash through the forest.

[What's happening?] the Zubat gasped as a giant Mega Steelix loomed over it, causing it to crash into its steel body.

"You induced Argent just in time!" Misty smiled at Brock before ordering her Seadra "Spritz, use Water Gun to wake Ash up!"

"AUGH!" Ash yelped as the cold water hit him and his team. "What was that for?"

"While you were snoozing, Kamon was trying to take Dux!" Misty explained, "So go get him!"

"Spike, use Smokescreen!" Kamon called, aware that Ash and his team were rallying.

"Brenna, clear the air with Hydro Pump!" Ash called at the same time.

Sylvester watched as the huge water blast cleared away the smoke cloud. "Wow...I wish I could work with Dux the way Ash works with his Pokémon." he told Brock as Ash called to his team to attack and defend.

"The reason why Ash works so well with his team is because they trust each other--they may be a boy and five Pokémon, but their hearts beat as one." Brock explained as he watched the carnage unfold.

"Oof!" Kamon gasped as River slammed him to the ground, sending the leek flying! Kamon and Sylvester both made a desperate dive for it, but Sylvester ultimately came up with the leek in hand!

[My leek!] Dux gasped. [You made that epic catch for my safe?]

"I did...I know how special your leek is to your kind, and couldn't bear to have you lose it." Sylvester smiled as he handed Dux the leek.

Dux thought for a moment. [You know...you're not so bad a master after all.] he smiled. [After you made that big dive to get my leek back, I realized you still love me, even after I've been a big jerk with you.]

"Of course...I forgive you for being a jerk." Sylvester replied as he gingerly hugged Dux. "Are we a team?"

[Yeah--let's give this red haired jerk what for!] Dux smiled.

Ash arrived not long afterward. "You okay, Sylvester?" he asked.

"Yeah..." Sylvester replied as he eased himself to his feet. "I think I know what it means to work as a team now."

[Then let's do this!] Dux called before pecking Nightwing hard enough for him to let go.

"Oh no, you don't!" Kamon made a mad dash effort to catch Farfetch'd, hoping his dive to catch the flying Farfetch'd would be enough.

"Dux, use use Fury Attack!" Sylvester called.

Misty grinned as Dux pummeled Kamon. "Dux, one, Kamon, zero." she grinned as Kamon tried to flee. But before he could run far, Dux used Cut to down two big trees in front of Kamon's path.

"You know what to do, bud." Ash smiled at Tintri as he approached Kamon, who was trembling in fear.

[HI-YAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!] Tintri sreamed as he unleashed a Thunderbolt at Kamon.

Kamon winced from the pain of Tintri's attack. "I hate the weak." he growled as he cleaned some of the char from his face. "Pokémon, Trainers. It doesn't matter who or what. I hate to see them hanging around."

Then he remembered something. "That goes for Team Rocket, too. They think they are big and tough as long as they are in a group. But get them alone, and they're weak. Jessie...James...their fast-talking Meowth, their other cronies...I hate them all."

He marched up to Ash. "You stay out of my way, Wonderboy. You won't be an exception if you get in my way."

Yet as he fled into the brush, a stomach growl reminded him that he still hadn't eaten! And on top of being shocked, I'm still hungry!

Ash, meanwhile, embraced Sylvester. "Great work on getting Farfetch'd to use Cut!"

"You did great with Dux!" Misty agreed.

"Keep this up, and you may rival Ash and Tintri in your skill with Dux." Brock added.

Just then, Sylvester spotted two trees that were the right size and thickness for charcoal. "Okay, Dux--Cut the trees down!"

[Hi-YAH!] Dux called as he executed a serious of slashes, creating many perfectly-shaped blocks of wood, but Sylvester's cheers were the loudest of all.

---------

"I heard about what happened from Nurse Joy." Sylvester's father began before he addressed Sylvester. "I owe you an apology, my son--I really believe you can be a great trainer, judging from how you worked with Dux and your new friends to drive that red haired hoodlum away."

"It was nothing, Dad--Ash showed me what you mean when you say that I have to be a leader for Dux to follow." Sylvester smiled.

Sylvester's father smiled. "Can you find it in your heart to forgive your father for my outburst before?"

"Of course!" With that, father and son embraced, lost in each other's love.

Sylvester's father then presented a charcoal box to the group. "Here--take some fresh charcoal as thanks for your heroic deeds here today....you've earned it!"

To Be Continued...