1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fanfiction Pokémon Moonlight Silver

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by WavePearl, Jul 29, 2016.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    After a holiday hiatus, let's continue our remixed Johto adventure!

Episode 35: Tricks of the Trade (part 1)

"Finally glad to see something other than forest!" Ash smiled as he Misty, and Brock emerged from Ilex Forest onto a stretch of coastline.

"I'll say--beach views are beautiful!" Misty agreed.

She braced herself for Michelle to pop out of her Poké Ball, but when the Golduck didn't appear, she heaved a sigh of relief. "Thought Michelle was going to come out for a minute there--she's always loved the beach."

"Still comes out of her Poké Ball without being asked?" Brock grinned.

"Not so much anymore--mainly if she's excited or senses something interesting outside." Misty replied as the group rounded the corner to a picnic area, where a boy with dull green hair was enjoying a meal while a blue blob-like Pokémon stood guard.

Interesting Pokémon... Ash mused as he pulled out Dexter to read up on the blob Pokémon:

"Wobbufett, the patient Pokémon. It does nothing but endure attacks - it won't attack on its own." Dexter explained. "However, it won't endure an attack on its tail. When that happens, the Wobbufett will try to take the foe with it using Destiny Bond."

"Oh my..." Misty gasped. "What does that do?"

"Basically, If the user faints, the opponent will also faint." the boy explained as he dusted sandwich crumbs from his shirt. "I'm Benny, and this is Sahana, my Wobbufett." he explained, gesturing to the blob Pokémon.

[All-l-l-l is-well!] the Wobbufett announced in reply.

"Nice to meet you...I'm Ash, and these are my friends Misty...." Misty waved hello. "...and Brock." Brock waved hello before finding an empty table close to Benny so the two groups could easily visit.

"Pleased to meet you guys." Benny smiled. "We're going to the Pokémon Swap Meet--hopefully I can find someone to trade Sahana to while I'm there."

"In fact, the Pokémon Swap Meet is one of the largest gatherings for Pokémon trading in the world." Brock explained as he showed the group a picture of two people trading in the guidebook's chapter on the Swap Meet. "People come from all over the world to trade, not just Johto."

"But I don't get why you would want to trade your Wobbufett if you clearly love him..." Misty mused as Benny hugged his Wobbufett.

"Don't get me wrong, I love Sahana, and I've trained him hard." Benny assured Misty as he cleaned up the remains of his picnic. "But now I'd like a different Pokémon to train."

"That's fair, I guess." Misty smiled. "We'll go with you two into town, if you'd like."

"Sure--I'd love the company." Benny replied as he motioned for the Wobbufett to follow him.

---------

Singin' in the rain...we're singin' in the rain... James sang as he hosed down a massive pitcher-plant like Pokémon, who seemed to be enjoying the water spray.

"I don't think Shita would enjoy water..." Jessie mused as she groomed a pink mammalian Pokémon with a long tongue. "He has his tongue to bathe himself, but I am more than capable of defending his dignity if you get him wet!" She brandished a massive water gun to prove her point.

"Really?" James pointed the hose at the Lickitung. "Shall we test that hypothesis?"

"Guys!" Meowth called, defusing the impending water fight. "Check out dis poster here!"

Both Jessie and James forgot about their water fight and hurried over to the light pole Meowth was pointing out, where a poster advertising the Pokémon Swap Meet was displayed. "Today--Pokémon Swap Meet..." James read.

"Come trade for Pokémon from around the seven regions and beyond...games for the kids, and prizes..." Jessie read.

"How bout it? Wanna try and swipe some exotic Pokémon?" Meowth offered. "We may have an opportunity to swipe sometin' even rarer and more valuable dan Hat-boy's Pikachu!"

"Then what are we waiting for?" James eagerly led the charge into town, excited about stealing an exotic Pokémon.

---------

Meanwhile, as the group and Benny rounded the corner leading into town, Brock suddenly felt the ground start to rumble. "Are we anywhere close to a fault line?"

"That's no earthquake, that's a Tauros stampede!" Benny called before shepherding the Trio and Sahana to the side of the road, moments before a herd of Tauros and people came thundering down the road, to the roar of the crowd.

"What's going on?" Ash wondered as he watched the hundreds of Tauros pass by.

"This is one of the events that happen every year at the Swap Meet." a man explained. "Anyone who touches one of the Tauros's horns gets a trophy from the mayor."

"Wow!" Ash gasped before reaching out his hand into the thundering herd in an attempt to touch one of the Tauros. "If I can just...reach...."

A THWAP! and a cry of pain alerted the others that Ash had been unsuccessful in touching a Tauros horn. "I'll do my best to ease the bleeding, one of you should find a Pokémon Center." Brock instructed the others as he removed Ash's right glove and examined the bleeding gash on Ash's right hand.

"Ow...it hurts..." Ash winced as Brock studied the gaping scratch on his hand.

"You're lucky this wasn't worse..." Brock explained as he carefully wrapped Ash's hand in gauze. "You could've gotten your hand ripped off, if not permanently damaged."

Just then, Misty returned. "I've got Benny checking in for trading, and located the Pokémon Center." she reported. "Judging from that gash, it may need an expert to look at it."

"Come on--let's go get this wound treated." Brock assured Ash as he followed Misty towards the Pokémon Center.

---------

"The good news is, your wound did not break the skin too deeply." Nurse Joy explained as she gently massaged some anti bacterial gel on Ash's scratch. "It would still be a good idea to put some silver gauze on it to speed up the healing process."

"Silver?" Misty wondered as Nurse Joy carefully bandaged Ash's wound with some shiny silver gauze.

"Silver has been shown to help the treatment of infected wounds and wounds with a risk of infection." Nurse Joy explained before addressing Ash. "Next time, I would not recommend reaching out to touch a Tauros horn." she warned as she made sure the shiny bandage was on securely and Ash's glove could fit over it.

"Point duly noted." Ash replied as he admired how his silver bandage glittered in the light.

"Although if you want, a safer alternative would be entering your Tauros in the Charger Cup." Nurse Joy went on. "There's still time to enter--the Tauros stampede you saw before was headed for the Seaside Stadium, at the north part of town."

"Maybe I'll try that while my wound heals." Ash smiled. "Thanks, Nurse Joy!"

Misty was just as glad, although for a different reason. That's a first, Brock didn't attempt to serenade Nurse Joy with a stupid love song. she smiled as Ash located a phone and started dialing Prof. Oak's number.

"Hello?" the image of Prof. Oak began. "You caught me just as I was about to give one of the Squirtles a bath..." he explained as he filled a small washtub for a waiting Squritle.

"Hi, Professor--we're in a little seaside town where there's a Tauros competition--so could you send over one of my herd so I can try it?" Ash explained. "I also learned the hard way not to touch their horns..." he explained as he showed Prof. Oak his silver bandage.

"Oh my..." Prof. Oak gasped when he saw the silver bandage. "I've never seen a bandage like that before...."

"They say silver infused bandages prevent infection." Ash replied. "As to which of the herd I want, Venti's my best one for battle."

"All right, let me get this Squirtle settled, and I'll send Venti over." Prof. Oak replied before the call ended.

"Have I told you that naming your herd 'one' to 'thirty' in Italian was a clever idea?" Brock grinned as the Poké Ball containing the Tauros materialized in the nearby transfer machine.

"Yes, you have--multiple times." Ash smiled as he went to retrieve his Tauros.

---------

"Is there no one among you who would challenge our champion Fernando and earn the Charger Cup?" the emcee announced as a dull purple haired boy and his Tauros looked out into the crowd for any challengers. "This will separate the men from the boys, the women from the girls, if one of you would step forward and challenge Dusty."

"I am Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town, and I will challenge Dusty!" Ash announced as he made a heroic jump into the arena, gracefully landing on the Silver sideline as Venti trotted into the arena.

"A new challenger has arrived!" the emcee announced, to thunderous cheers...

To Be Continued...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 36: Tricks of the Trade (part 2)

[HAAAAAAAH!!!] Venti bellowed as he rammed into Dusty, knocking him backwards into the Gold safety barrier with a crash.

"Gold is unable to battle." the referee announced. "Silver wins!"

"The winner! Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town!" the emcee announced, making a grand gesture to Ash and Venti as the crowd roared with applause and cameras flashed.

Misty was equally enthusiastic. "Way to go, Ash!" she called from the stands. Brock whistled in agreement.

As the crowds departed the stadium, Benny met the group by the entrance. "What an amazing match! Would you be willing to take Sahana in exchange for your Tauros?" he asked.

Ash was about to answer when hundreds of other trainers gathered around him, many of them offering rare and exotic Pokémon for his Tauros:

"I'd offer my Sentret for that Tauros!"

"Would you be interested in an Ivysaur?"

"Want an Azurill for your Tauros?"

"I'll offer my Garbodor!"

"Would you like a Gorebyss for your Tauros?"

"My Poliwrath could take on your Tauros and win!"

"I'd give you my Haunter for your Tauros!"

Ash looked over at Brock. "Know a way to stop all the offers?" he tensely asked.

"Sure..." With that, Brock reached for his referee's whistle and blew it, quieting the chaos.

"Everyone...while I am honored and flattered you all would like Venti, he is special to me, and I would never separate him from his friends in the herd." Ash explained. "So I must decline any offers to trade him."

Luckily, the crowd understood as they departed. "Wow...you love your Tauros that much?" Benny gasped, impressed.

"Yeah--he's part of a herd of thirty, and I wouldn't dream of giving him to anyone else, I love him that much." Ash explained as he began entering the coordinates to send Venti back to Oak's Lab.

Wow...a love for your Pokémon so deep, you can't bear seeing them with anyone else? Benny thought.

He looked over at the Wobbufett hopping by his side. Whatever I get for Sahana, I'm gonna try and love them like Ash loves his Pokémon.

---------

"How goes the search for offers?" Ash asked as Benny met the group near the town square.

"Not so hot...this girl from the Alola region had a pretty Lurantis on offer, but she deemed Sahana ugly and rejected my offer." Benny sighed. "Then I saw somebody with a Lickilicky, but he wanted something crazy rare in return. Next, someone offered me a Rapidash, but it looked too wild, so I politely declined that offer. When I tried offering for a Corphish, it pinched me..."

"Ouch..." Ash winced.

"If you're looking to trade that Wobbufett, I have a female Stantler I'd be willing to offer." a man offered as he approached Benny.

"Sure!" Benny replied, elated someone had finally offered something for his Wobbufett.

---------

"How's that fake trading machine doing?" James--in disguise as an average trainer along with Jessie.--asked as he returned to load some empty Poke Balls into a machine that looked like an exact replica of an official trading machine, save for the lack of an official Pokémon League logo on the top.

"People are linin' up in droves!" Meowth giddily replied. "Jessie's woikin' da crowd at da moment, sayin' we've gotta bunch of rare Pokémon, and no reasonable offa will be refused. But when dey try ta summon dere big score, only den will dey see dat da Poké Ball is empty!"

The two Rockets giggled for a moment before James spotted a familiar man hawking Magikarps nearby. "Hey, that guy looks familiar! He's the one that duped me of my last 500 credits for a Magikarp!"

With that, he dashed off after the salesman. "Give me back the money you took from me! I didn't WANT one of your Magikarps, nor ASK for one, and yet you stole my money anyway!"

"James? What's going--!" Jessie started before her foot was caught in a loop of rope, causing her to be sent flying towards the real trading machine Benny was about to use, with the group looking on.

"You know, I'm gonna keep looking around for offers." the man with the Stantler told Benny as he prepared to lead his Stantler away. "I'll keep your Wobbufett in mind, though."

"Okay...." Benny sighed before a crash got his attention, followed by the bleeps and whirs of the trade machine performing a trade. "What was that?"

"I don't know, but whatever crashed into the machine must've dropped a Poké Ball onto it, and traded whatever Pokémon was in it to you." Misty smiled as she gave Benny the new Poké Ball.

Benny smiled as he caught a glimpse of Jessie getting up and hurrying off. Maybe that lady gave this to me...I'll have to thank her later.

---------

"Jessie! Am I glad to see ya!" Meowth gasped as his two human companions returned, battered and beaten. "People've been catchin' on to our plot!" He gestured to the near riot of angry trainers inching closer and closer to the table.

Jessie just smiled. "Then I guess it's time we make our getaway!"

With that, the two human Rockets threw off their disguises, making the crowd gasp. "Thanks for your patience, and we're sorry for your trouble!' she jeered, making the crowd even angrier.

"And thanks to you suckers, we've been able to make ourselves double!" James agreed.

"To protect the world from devastation..." Jessie began the familiar motto as Ash and the others arrived.

"And unite all peoples within our nation..." James smiled.

"To denounce the evils of truth and love!"

"To extend our reach to the stars above!"

"Jessie!"

"James!"

"Team Rocket! Blast off at the speed of light!"

"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!"

"Meowth! Dat's right!"

"Hold it!" Ash called. "Give all those Poke Balls you stole back, NOW!"

Jessie smirked at Ash. "You want them so badly? Come and get them!"

With that, the crowd gasped as the Rockets dashed off to a hill, where the Meowth balloon was waiting for takeoff.

"NOW what do we do?" Ash grumbled as the balloon started to rise.

"We have to stop those hoodlums before they escape with all our Pokémon!" a girl pleaded as the Meowth balloon rose higher and higher into the sky.

"If only we had a way to pop their balloon..." a boy mused.

"Everyone, please!" Brock stepped forward to address the crowd. "I have archery expertise, so I can probably pop Team Rocket's balloon with an arrow..."

This inspired the crowd. "Come on! Let's imbue the arrow with the power of all our Pokémon!" a man called, spurring the crowd to cheer as they released their Pokémon and they in turn lined up to imbue an arrow Brock had laid on the ground with their power.

Misty watched as one by one, the crowd's Pokémon contributed an imbuement to the arrow. A Basculin sprayed the arrowhead with a Water Gun, a Gabite contributed a wave of Dragon Rage, and a Gigalith contributed some sand with a tiny Sandstorm. "Let's try and keep an orderly line, okay?" she assured two children whose Pichus were eager to contribute.

Ash, meanwhile, kept an eye on the Meowth balloon to make sure it didn't get too high for Brock to hit. "How high up do you think you can make the shot from?" he wondered.

"So long as I can still see it, I can hit it." Brock assured his friend as he watched more Pokémon add power.

"You must've had years of practice to be that confident in a one in a million shot." Benny smiled.

"I have had plenty of practice." Brock replied as he pulled on his bracers in preparation to make the critical shot.

After a Vivillion contributed some Powder, and a Zubat had added an Air Cutter, Misty called to the crowd with a megaphone. "Okay! Has everyone had a chance to imbue the arrow with something?"

Cheers came back in reply as Ash delivered the arrow--now imbued with the rainbow glow of hundreds of Pokémon powers--to Brock. "Okay--this is a very difficult and critical shot, so we need quiet so Brock can aim." Misty instructed the crowd.

The sound of the bow being drawn made the crowd fall silent as Brock trained his eye on the slowly rising Meowth balloon. Here goes...for the sake of everyone...

After a few tense seconds, he fired, and all present held their breaths as the rainbow arrow streaked towards the Meowth balloon.

A huge POW! and the Meowth balloon flying off with a ping confirmed to the crowd that the shot had hit, before a large bag landed on the ground with a thunk.

"Sai, Cut that bag open!" a boy commanded to his Scyther. "Maybe all the stolen Pokémon are in there!"

Misty watched the Scyther slice open the bag and the crowd hurried to reclaim their stolen Pokémon. Aw...and we didn't have to even battle Team Rocket this time! she thought as she looked out on the millions of overjoyed trainers reuniting with their Pokémon.  

Benny found the group moments later. "There you are! First of all, I have to commend you for that nice shot." he smiled at Brock. "You really are as skilled as you said you were."

"All in a day's work." Brock replied.

"But I'm really glad Sahana went to this long haired lady that gave me this Lickitung...I've been trying to find her so I can thank her, but I can't find her anywhere." Benny explained as he petted a familiar Lickitung. "The trade machine said its name was Shita, I think?"

"Should we tell Benny he traded with Team Rocket?" Ash discretely whispered to Misty.

"Nah, let him be happy--Team Rocket will figure out they have Sahana soon enough." Misty whispered back.

"I think she must have gone home for the day." Ash replied as he noticed the sun beginning to set. "It is getting late, after all."

He nearly jumped as Benny called "Whoever gave me this Lickitung, thank you! Please take care of Sahana for me!"

To Be Continued...

3. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 37: Hearts of Fire (part 1)

"Hello?" the image of Prof. Oak asked as it blipped on the phone's screen.

"Hi, Professor...we're on our way to Goldenrod City now, but not without a few adventures..." Ash smiled.

"I heard about Venti's victory in the Pokémon Swap Meet--well done." Prof. Oak smiled. "Of course, then Cinque and Otto had to argue over who would beat Venti in a fight. Thankfully, Sette broke it up, but Venti assured his herd-mates that he was proud to represent the herd in the match."

"That's Sette for you--ever the peacemaker." Ash smiled. "What are some sights we can see in Goldenrod City and the surrounding areas?

"Well, there's the National Park, where a bug catching contest is held..." Prof. Oak began as Misty and Brock arrived, with Nurse Joy not far behind. "You may want to leave Misty at the mall if you plan to do that."

"Actually, professor, I've signed up to participate in the Pokethlon." Misty assured Prof. Oak.

"In that case, the stadium where that kicks off is by the park." Prof. Oak explained. "Then there's the Radio Tower, where many shows of both an informative and entertaining nature are broadcast across the region--the main station's call letters here are WJTO."

"I've always wanted to sing and tell stories on the radio!" Brock gasped. "I can see the show now: 'Live from the Fireside'...

Prof. Oak chuckled. "With your talent for storytelling and music, I believe you would make a fine radio star, Brock."

He looked at the clock out of the frame. "Speaking of radio shows, I have to prepare for this week's edition of 'Pokémon Talk'--so I must be going. Take care, and be safe!"

"We will." Ash smiled before the call ended.

"I must know what you do to keep your Pokémon so happy and healthy, Ash...they're all in tip top shape!" Nurse Joy smiled before allowing Ash to see his team on the gurney.

Before Ash could answer, Brock slipped before Nurse Joy, guitar in hand. "Maybe you could give me a little TLC and listen to this song I wrote telling of your kindness and beauty..."

"Uh, that's okay--I just remembered I have to inspect the competitors for the Fire and Rescue Grand Prix. Thank you, and see you!" Nurse Joy stammered before hurrying off back behind the counter, to Brock's shock.

"Sorry, Mr. Balladeer..." Misty smirked as she heard the DOING of Brock's G string breaking.

"That's okay--the song was a little rough around the edges, anyway." Brock assured his companions as he went to work fixing the broken string.

"If you're curious, the Grand Prix is a firefighting and rescue competition for Pokémon and their trainers." a girl explained as she settled on a couch, gesturing to a poster advertising the Grand Prix on a window.

"Sounds fun!" Ash gasped. "Where do I sign up?

"Tiny problem, hero--the only Water types you have are Brenna and River--are you sure a team of two would be enough?" Misty asked.

"One step ahead of you--I'll just borrow Michelle and Pearl to round out the team." Ash grinned confidently.

"Now wait a minute! When did I say you could use Michelle or Pearl for ANYTHING?" Misty demanded. "If you wanted to use them, you could've ASKED first!"

A pop of a Poké Ball got Misty's attention. [Actually, Misty, I wouldn't mind competing in this fire and rescue competition.] Michelle assured her master. [It actually sounds like fun!]

Misty sighed. "Okay...you can use Michelle and Pearl in the competition, but in return, I expect you to take extra good care of them." she told Ash.

"Got it!" Ash replied.

Just then, both Ash and Misty perked up at a familiar male voice calling them. "Is that..." Misty gasped as she saw a familiar man with tanned skin and orange work clothes leading a team of Wartortles in their direction.

"Captain Aidan!" Ash cried as he ran to embrace the man.

"It's good to see you and Misty again." Aidan smiled. "And who might your singer friend be?" he asked, noticing Brock putting the finishing touches on the repaired guitar string.

"That's Brock, the aspiring musician and storyteller and master archer we told you about." Misty replied. "Brock, this is Captain Aidan of Ascorbia Island--while Ash and I were with Tracey in the Orange Islands, we saw firsthand why he and his Wartortles are known as the best firefighters in the area!"

"Really?" Brock was intrigued.

"Not just that, he gave Brenna some training, and in return, she helped them put out a major fire!" Ash went on. "It'd be a perfect song!"

"You can tell me about it later--I'd call it 'The Ballad of Captain Aidan'". Brock grinned.

Aidan just chuckled. "Here's another idea for a verse in 'The Ballad of Captain Aidan'--the Wartortles and I defending our title in the Grand Prix."

"I can see why you've won a title--every one of your Wartortles looks championship worthy!" Brock raved as he observed the team of Wartortles.

"Thank you..." Aidan smiled before addressing the team. "All right, team! Report!"

[Captain Mist, standing by!] the lead Wartortle announced. One by one, the other Wartortle introduced themselves:

[Engineer Sleet, standing by!]

[First Lieutenant Rima, standing by!]

[Second Lieutenant Haley, standing by!]

[Third Lieutenant Dew, standing by!]

[We are Team Wartortle! No fire can stand against our big wave!] the five Wartortles chorused.

[You guys!] Brenna dashed out to meet the Wartortles. [I missed you!]

[We missed you too, Honorary Lieutenant Brenna.] Mist smiled as she and Brenna shook claws for the first time in a long time. [No one in the islands ever forgets what you did to help us.]

"Now I'm REALLY interested in hearing just what Brenna did..." Brock mused as Ash lead the way out of the Pokémon Center...

---------

"I've talked to the Grand Prix coordinators, and they have allowed Ash to compete even though he did not submit an entry form." Aidan explained as the group walked down a hallway and into the main practice room of the competition's workout center.

"Wow..." Ash gasped as a team of Azumarill practiced hosing down a replica of a burning house. A Greninja ordered its Froagie charges to rescue a Clefairy doll, and a team of Piplups hurried into position for their attempt at dousing the burning house.

"You were lucky to be entered because a good word from a friend--all these teams look like seasoned pros." Brock cautioned. "So bring your A game."

"I'll bring more than that--I'll bring my S game!" Ash grinned, unfazed at his competition.

Just then, Brenna spotted Officer Jenny and four familiar Squirtles. [Officer! It's me, Brenna!] she called, waving a claw in their direction.

"Hello there, Brenna..." Jenny knelt down and hugged Brenna. "Think you can spray some sense into your old squadmates?" she asked, gesturing to the four Squirtles, who were visibly shaking in fear at the other teams present.

Brenna stepped before the four Squirtles. [Eddy...Chill...Mellow...Tear...you guys still remember me, right?]

[Of course we do, Brenna.] Eddy replied. [We're just worried about what good us Squirtles can do against all these big and tough Pokémon.]

[We can do anything if we all work together as a team, gang.] Brenna replied. [As all the Sorin stories say, the small can overcome the big and tough not by strength, but by wits!]

[You've got a point there, Brenna...] Chill smiled as he woke up from a nap with a yawn.

"It's always nice to see you, Officer." Misty smiled as she and Ash watched Brenna converse with the other Squirtles, all the while watching and hoping Brock would not attempt to sing Jenny a sappy love song.

"Brenna seems happy to see her squad mates again." Ash agreed.

"It seems like only yesterday they were little rascals bringing terror on Vermilion City...and look at them now--the city's most famous, reliable, and cutest firefighters." Jenny smiled. "And I have you to thank for that, Ash."

"Aw, it was nothin.'" Ash smiled. "I bet they could even take down Team Wartortle, the returning champions!"

Brenna rolled her eyes as the other Squirtles gasped at the mention of Team Wartortle. Oh brother...I'm gonna have to remind them what it means to be a hero again...

To Be Continued...

4. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 38: Hearts of Fire (part 2)

"Is it okay if the Squirtle Squad can have a joint practice session with Team Wartortle?" Jenny asked, smiling a little as Brenna and the other four Squirtles chatted.

"Sure." Aidan agreed. "Let's start with the target test."

Jenny whistled to get the Squad's attention. "Come on, guys--with me." The Squirtles nodded, and followed Brenna and Jenny over to a row of round targets that could be ignited at any time.

"Okay, team! The key to a good score on a target test is to focus on each target, communicate with Mist and each other, and work as a team." Aidan instructed his team. "Got it?"

[Yes sir!] the Wartortles chorused before looking to Brock for their instructions.

"All right--before you is a row of flaming targets." Brock explained, gesturing to the burning targets that a technician had ignited for them. "As the sound of the whistle, work as quickly as you can to put them out--the team that puts out all five targets the fastest, wins. Any questions?"

[Do we have to put them out one at a time, or what?] Mellow asked.

"You can use any strategy you want, so long as the targets are put out." Brock explained.

When he saw that none of the other Squirtles had questions, he announced "Okay! Ready...set..." before blowing his whistle.

The Wartortles wasted no time in hurrying to a target and firing the most powerful Water Gun they could at the raging fire balls. But over on the other range, Ash winced as the Squirtle Squad's attacks went in five different directions. "Come on, guys! Focus!" he called.

[Chill's trying to put two out!] Eddy protested. [He has his own!]

"Chill, focus on your own target first, then help Eddy if he needs it." Jenny gently coaxed.

"Hey!" Ash gasped as Mellow sprayed Tear. "This is not the time to play, focus on the targets!"

Misty winced at how terribly the Squirtles were doing. "I'm not so sure they're ready for a competition at all..."

"They're probably nervous being next to such a high-rated team." Brock mused as he toyed with his whistle, waiting for either Jenny or Mist to signal that one team's targets were all out.

Brenna, meanwhile, grimaced at her teammates. Fine, if they want to goof off and play rather than win the competition, I'm taking matters into my own claws!

Ash suddenly heard cries of [Ow!] [Eep!] [Yipe!] [Oof!], followed by a single uniform spray. "I don't believe it...the Squirtles finally managed to learn to work together!" he gasped as he watched the Squirtles work on dousing their targets.

[Oh, I just gave them a step in that direction.] Brenna smiled. [A step on their tails, that is.]

She then addressed her squad-mates. [Okay, Squad! Take down each target! And quickly, since we need to make up for lost time!]

[Yeah!] the other Squirtles replied before intensifying their sprays.

Misty watched as both teams raced neck and neck, but when she saw Mist and Brenna signal Brock at the same time, she smiled as Brock blew his whistle again to signal that the target test had ended in a tie. "Well! The Squirtle Squad seem much more confident with their leader back."

"That may be true, but the Squad does not seem to function without Brenna." Ash cautioned as the extinguished targets were rolled out of the room. "I can only hope they'll survive the competition proper."

---------

"Our next event is the Flaming Target Test!" the emcee announced some time later.

"Okay, our competition is Team Quack Attack." Jenny explained to the Squirtles, showing them a picture of a group of Golducks. "Let's not have a repeat of the Flame-Off event and the disaster with the Muks."

"I know Team Quack Attack is very skilled--they came in second place in last year's Grand Prix." Aidan told Ash and Jenny. "I fear that the pressure of the competition may be breaking the Squirtles' concentration...."

"You may be right...the Squad looks even more nervous than it did during the practice session." Ash agreed as the siren to start the event blared into the stadium. He watched as the five Golducks raced to the blazing target range, but the Squirtle Squad stayed put on the starting line, intimidated by the size of the Golducks.

"Come on, guys! Go! Go! Go!" Ash called to the Squirtles, but the four Squirtles refused to budge.

He noticed Brock's whistle hanging from his bag. "Mind if I borrow your whistle for a second?" he asked.

"Sure--give it a good, hard blow to get the Squirtle Squad going." Brock smiled.

Ash nodded, took the deepest breath he could muster, and blew the whistle, startling the Squirtles, making Eddy trip, which brought all four Squirtles into a struggling heap.

Brenna winced as she watched the Squad aim a haphazard Water Gun assault at their targets. [You're gonna need a lot more than a referee's whistle to help the Squad...] she sighed as Ash handed Brock the whistle.

Inspired, Ash called "Tintri, use a static bolt on the Squirtle Squad!"

[Got it!] Tintri replied as he fired a static bolt at the Squirtles, making them yelp.

[What was THAT for?] Mellow demanded, rubbing his shell in pain from the static bolt.

"Now that I have your attention, you guys really should listen to your leader." Ash explained, gesturing to Brenna.

[What?] Brenna gasped. [Me, the leader? I've always been a teammate, and you've been the leader.]

"I know that, but the Squirtles seem to listen to you better than they do any of us--and you have a lot of qualities a good leader should have." Ash assured Brenna. "The Squad needs you now...so will you go help them?"

Brenna nodded, and called to the Squad. [Okay, Squirtle Squad! We can still win this if we all work together!]

[YEAH!!!!] the Squirtles cheered as they each hurried to a target, easily making up for the time they had lost, and defeating Team Quack Attack by one target.

---------

"Brenna? Can we talk for a minute?" Ash asked as he found Brenna and the Squad resting as the arena was prepped for the next event.

[What about? Am I in trouble?] Brenna asked.

"Oh, no, no one's in trouble." Ash assured Brenna. "I know that the Squirtle Squad is very strong, but without you, their leader, the Squirtle Squad are lost. I understand that it is a big change for you, since you're so used to having me lead you to battle, but can you be me to your squadmates? If that means leaving me and the others and going with the Squad, I'll respect that decision. But the ultimate choice is yours."

Brenna contemplated what her master had said for a moment. [While I love you, Ash, and would do anything for you, I love my squadmates too, and I want them to succeed like I have.]

She ran to Chill's side. [It's decided...I will lead the Squirtle Squad!]

---------

"Okay..the final event is Team Wartortle against the Squirtle Squad in the Great Clefairy Rescue." Brock explained to the Pokémon. "The challenge is to rescue a Clefairy doll from a smoky building the fastest."

"I'm kinda glad the Pokémon are doing that and not the people." Misty sighed. "The rope climb wore me out!"

"I'll say...Captain Aidan has getting into a fire suit down to an art." Ash mused. "But at least the Squad did well with the moving targets and the distance event."

The emcee then announced "Our two final teams that will compete in the Great Clefairy Rescue are Team Wartortle and the Squirtle Squad!", snapping the group to attention.

"Come on, Squirtle Squad! You can do it!" Ash shouted encouragement to the Squad on the left start line as a familiar song of encouragement started playing over the stadium PA system.

"Good luck to both teams!" Misty called, waving at the Wartortle.

She was jolted from her excitement by Brock singing along with the PA system. We all have a dream inside our hearts that we will follow to the end...
    When you make a wish upon a star, the power flows, inside of you!
    Everybody listen to this song and sadness will just disappear!
    My wishes, dreams and hopes go forth into the world...

"Brock! This is not a karaoke contest!" Misty hissed.

"I know, I'm just singing a little fight song for the Squirtle Squad." Brock explained.

With that, he picked up the chorus without missing a beat. Come with me and we will see the wonders of the world!
    All of the glory, is in our story!

As we make our way to heaven, take it step by step
    And get the glory, upon the great stage!...

Ash sighed over Brock's enthusiastic rendition of "Glory in our Story"--he hadn't counted on his friend to do something potentially embarrassing in public. "Personally, I don't know if Brock is singing that for the Squirtle Squad or Officer Jenny." Misty discreetly whispered.

"Let him sing--it appears to be helping the Squad." Ash replied as both teams raced into their smoky houses, Brock singing all the while.

---------

We all have a dream inside our hearts that we will follow to the end...
    When you make a wish upon a star, the power flows, inside of you!

[Okay squad! listen up!] Brenna called as she adjusted the mini camera that would allow her to see where she was going in the thick smoke. [This is meant to simulate a smoky house--our objective is to find a Clefairy doll hidden somewhere in the house, and bring it outside as quick as we can!]

[But how are we supposed to see in this smoke?] Tear asked.

[I have a camera on my shell wired to vision goggles that will allow me to see clearly.] Brenna explained. [So when in doubt, follow me.]

With that, she pulled down the vision goggles. [Okay, Squirtle Squad! Move out!]

Everybody listen to this song and sadness will just disappear!
    My wishes, dreams and hopes go forth into the world...

Seconds seemed to tick by like hours as the five Squirtles hurried through the simulated house, checking the drawers in the prop furniture, behind the appliances, and other places they felt a Clefairy would conceivably get trapped.

Every so often, one of the Squirtles would be sprayed with a warning spritz as a gentle reminder to stay focused and not worry about the smoke or the props.

Come and take my hand right now, come with me for the ride,
    Together we will step through the door,
    And see the light shining from our own heavenly land!

Just then, Chill found a pink form on the charred remains of a bed. [Brenna! I found the Clefairy!] he called, waving the Clefairy doll for his squadmates to see.

[Good! Let's hurry and bring it outside!] Brenna called as the other Squirtles rallied to the bedroom where the Clefairy was--the next part was retracing their steps back outside.

Come with me and we will see the wonders of the world!
    All of the glory, is in our story!

As we make our way to heaven, take it step by step
    And get the glory, upon the great stage!

Back outside, Ash watched the two smoky houses intently. "You think Brenna and the others are okay in there?" he asked as he listened to Brock continue "Glory in Our Story"

"I think so." Misty replied. "Although this is, what, the fourth or fifth time we've had to hear Brock sing that?"

We can go anywhere, so long as we're together
    I truly believe it with all of my heart...
    The cards here in my hand,
    Show you the way...
    Brock concluded the song yet again, seconds before both Team Wartortle and the Squirtle Squad emerged from the smoky houses at the same time, causing the song to end and the officials to review the replays.

Murmurs wafted through the crowd before cheers went up at the appearance of Team Wartortle's time on the scoreboard: 3:54:02. "Not bad..." Misty smiled as the crowd applauded.

"Now to see how the Squirtle Squad did..." Brock mused.

The tense look on Ash's face turned to joy when he saw the Squirtle Squad's time: 3:53:00! "YA-HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" he screamed as he tossed his cap into the air in celebration.

"They did it!" Misty cried before motioning for the others to follow her down to the stadium, where the Squirtles and Officer Jenny were laughing and hugging each other over their narrow victory.

"Looks like my fight song worked!" Brock grinned as Brenna embraced Ash.

"I don't think it was a fight song--they came together as a team when it mattered most." Captain Aidan explained. "So even though we lost, I just want to congratulate these little guys for a job well done."

[If you ever visit the island again, you're always welcome to come help us put out some fires, Honorary Lieutenant Brenna.] Mist smiled as she and her fellow Wartortles saluted the Squirtle Squad.

[I'll remember that, but right now, we've got the fires at home to put out.] Brenna replied as Officer Jenny gave each Squirtle a gold star symbolizing their victory.

---------

"Well done, Brenna. " Ash smiled as the other four Squirtles piled into the basket in the back of Jenny's police cycle. "You proved yourself a real leader today."

[Aw, it was nothin'!] Brenna smiled.

"i just want to thank you for for letting Brenna leave your party and continue leading the Squirtle Squad." Jenny began. "I know she'll do very well in that capacity."

[Tintri...write me a letter every so often, okay?] Brenna asked.

[Sure!] Tintri replied. [I'll send you a gazillion letters!]

[Misty...thanks for all the pool time.] Brenna went on as she hugged Misty. [I'm gonna miss ice surfing in the Gym's main pool.]

"I'll tell my sisters to have the pool ready for you any time you want to do some water rescue training." Misty smiled.

[Brock...I'm really gonna miss your stories and your songs.] Brenna went on, choking back tears as she hugged Brock.

"I'm always on MyTube, so you can watch my latest performances--and share old favorites with the Squad--anytime you want." Brock assured Brenna. "You know the channel name, right?"

[PewterSong.] Brenna smiled before looking over at River, Luce, Mina and Cyndy.

[Keep that fire in your heart burning.] Cyndy smiled.

[Even though we've only been together a short time, I'll never forget that shockingly powerful spirit of yours.] Luce smiled as Brenna hugged her.

[Be safe, Brenna...] Mina wrapped Brenna in her wings for a moment as Brenna tearfully hugged her.

[Ash, I wanna give my friend a farewell hug.] River smiled before hugging Brenna. [Relax, Brenna--Ash is in good hands with me.]

[Okay.] Brenna smiled before hugging Ash. [And Ash...thank you for teaching me how to be a leader, and how to be a good friend.]

"Anytime!" Ash smiled. "You're always welcome back, no matter where in the world I am."

"All right, that's everyone." Jenny smiled as Brenna climbed in the basket. "Let's move out, Squirtle Squad!"

[Bye, everyone!] Brenna screamed over the motorcycle's throaty rumble. [I'll miss you all!]

"Bye, Brenna!" Ash nearly screamed through his tears as the police cycle sped off into the sunset. "I'll always love you, no matter what!"

A familiar guitar playing a soft melody in G got his attention. So long, old friend... he heard Brock sing,
    I wish that I could see you once again...
    I never knew, the time would come when I'd be losing you,
    I hope you know, in times when things went badly,
    I always knew just what a friend like you is for...

Ash brushed away another tear as he reflected on all the times when Brenna had come through for him--Gym battles, rescuing Tintri, the Indigo League, and even what had transpired just a few hours before.

I never thought that things would end so sadly...
    And you'd be walking through that door...
    Brock continued playing his song, smiling a little at Ash's remaining Pokémon gathering around him.

So long, old friend,
    I wish that I could see you once again...
    I never knew, the time would come when I'd be losing you,
    I always thought our grand adventure would go on and on...

Just then, Ash choked out one final goodbye to the setting sun. "So long....Brenna..."

Misty rushed to hold Ash close as Brock sang the last line of his farewell song. I never knew I'd have to say,
    So long....

To Be Continued...

5. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 39: Hour of the Houndour (part 1)

"Ash doing okay?" Misty asked as she sliced a block of Cheddar cheese in preparation for lunch. It had been a few days since Brenna, Ash's Squirtle, had left the party to return to Kanto with the Squirtle Squad. She wondered if he was still grieving losing two of his greatest Pokémon--first Blaze, and now Brenna. Judging from how she had to hold him close as he cried in her arms, he had taken this parting very hard.

"He's his usual energetic and happy self today, thankfully." Brock replied as he finished laying out some ham, turkey, and roast beef by the different cheeses Misty had already sliced. "He should be back with some berries to go with our sandwich bar any moment now...think we have enough cheese options, or do you want to slice some more?"

"Mozzarella would go very nicely with the roast beef, actually--just like a pizza." Misty suggested. Brock just set a sphere of fresh mozzarella cheese before Misty, allowing her to create another cheese option for the sandwich bar as she sliced the ball of cheese into circles just large enough to fit on a piece of bread.

"I'm back!" Ash smiled as he and Tintri returned with basketfuls of wild Berries, oblivious to the many red eyes watching them. "We found Bluk Berries, Kuran Berries, Razz Berries, Belue Berries, Rawst Berries, and mint leaves..."

He was about to say more when he noticed the baskets were gone. "Funny..our berries and mint were just here a minute ago..."

"What about the bread for our sandwiches?" Misty asked as she and Brock cleaned up what food they did not prepare.

"It was in my bag...which appears to be gone as well!" Ash gasped when he saw that his bag was no longer on his back.

[That's what you get for not paying attention...] Tintri scolded.

"I was watching my stuff like a Braviary!" Ash protested. "Looking in the camp won't help, since I remember having it with me when we left!"

[That's true...] Tintri mused.

Brock, however, noticed some vaguely canine footprints on the ground. "Hey, look! Pawprints!" he called as he slung his bow and the quiver of thirty arrows on his back.

"Maybe if we follow them, we can find my stuff!" Ash lead the way through the brush.

---------

Meanwhile, in town, Nurse Joy and one of her Chanseys departed the grocery store and started the short walk back to the Pokémon Center. "As soon as we get these home, Merri, we'll start by making some food for the less fortunate families in town." she smiled at the Chansey as she approached the crosswalk.

[Ham and au gratin potatoes sounds wonderful!] Merri agreed.

Just then, a familiar joyful melody caught her attention as an ice cream truck arrived in the town square. [Look! The ice cream man's here!] she called as hundreds of children, Pokémon, and adults hurried to get in line.

"We've eaten mostly healthy all this week, so there's no harm in the occasional treat." Nurse Joy agreed as she led Merri to the end of the line, within eyesight of their groceries. "What would you like to have?" she asked Meri, unaware that the ham they had bought was vanishing into the brush.

[I can't decide between Kalosian vanilla or Oran sorbet...] Merri mused. [Every flavor's so good!]

"I'm getting a sundae cone..." Nurse Joy smiled before it was her and Merri's turn in line.

[I'll get Oran sorbet, then.] Merri smiled.

As the two of them returned to their waiting groceries, Nurse Joy noticed the ham had disappeared. "How strange...our ham is gone, but none of the other groceries were taken." she mused, getting the group's attention as they rounded the corner.

"Is everything okay, Nurse Joy?" Ash asked, noticing the nurse's perplexed look.

"Well...Merri and I had bought a ham to feed the less fortunate of the city, and as we stopped to get something from the ice cream truck, it disappeared." Nurse Joy explained.

[Even weirder, we had our groceries where we could see them the whole time we were in line.] Merri added.

"So your food and my bag, which also had food in it, are gone..." Ash mused. "But who would be stealing food, and why?"

"I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a certain guy, girl, and talking Meowth..." Misty suggested.

"But why would Team Rocket want to steal food?" Ash wondered.

"As much as I want to confirm or deny your suspicions, I didn't see the thief--or thieves--at all." Nurse Joy sighed.

Brock, meanwhile, noticed more pawprints leading into a forested area near the park. "Hey guys! Here's some more pawprints like what we found by our campsite!"

"Maybe if we keep following them, they'll lead us to whoever--or whatever--is taking our food!" Misty smiled as she followed Brock into the brush, with Ash not far behind her.

"Good luck, you three...and thanks!" Nurse Joy waved goodbye as the group continued on their way.

---------

"Food thefts on da rise in da city..." Meowth read from a newspaper before seeing a glimpse of the group from the alleyway Team Rocket was hiding in.

"Well, we'd never stoop so low as to steal food." Jessie mused as she petted Sahana. "Never mind this Wobbufett I somehow received at the Swap Meet barely eats anything..."

"Maybe, if we followed where the twerps went, we can outthieve whatever's taking all the food!" James suggested as he watched Ash disappear into the brush.

"Den what're we waitin' for?" Meowth asked as he folded up the newspaper. "Let's go!"

---------

After following the trail to the end, the group arrived in a clearing dotted with flowers. "There's no more tracks..." Misty wheezed.

Brock noticed the sun was going down. "We may be close to the thief's hideout--but it's getting late, so let's just make camp here for tonight."

"Good idea!" Misty suggested as she retrieved her camp gear. "I have a spare tent you can use until we can get your bag back." she assured Ash.

Ash, meanwhile, noticed Brock adding some meat flavored Pokémon attractant on a stick roughly the size of a hot dog. "Uh, Brock? Why are you cooking a stick?" he asked as he helped Misty pitch the spare tent.

"It's an idea to lure what's taking the food over here." Brock explained as he placed the wooden hot dog on a plate. "The idea being that once the culprit finds out it has a fake, it will return for the real thing if it is actually hungry."

"Oh..." Misty mused. "That is a clever idea!"

"I'd keep an arrow ready if the culprit is dangerous..." Ash wasn't so sure if Brock's plan would work.

Minutes seemed to tick by like hours as the group waited patiently but fearfully for the culprit's return. After about fifteen agonizing minutes had passed, Ash spotted some familiar scary red eyes in the bushes. "Something's here!"

He waited for Brock to nock an arrow, then called into the bushes "Okay, thief! I'm not scared of you, and want to know why you're taking our stuff!"

A growl thundered through the brush in reply as several black and red dog Pokémon with bone-like appendages emerged from the brush. "On second thought, maybe planting a decoy was a bad idea..." Brock stammered when he noticed one of the dog Pokémon had his decoy in its jaws.

Ash, meanwhile, decided to read up on the dog-Pokémon as Brock prepared to fire a warning shot at them:

"Houndour, the dark Pokémon. It uses different kinds of cries for communicating with others of its kind and for pursuing its prey."

"That's both fascinating and frightening..." Misty mused as she reached for two of her Poke Balls. "Michelle, Pearl, I need your help!"

"Get ready for a fight, bud." Ash warned Tintri.

[You got it.] Tintri replied.

[Let me soak some of those for you...] Michelle offered, spritzing the arrow Brock was about to fire.

A howl snapped the group to attention, prompting Brock to fire his shot, making some of the Houndours rear back in fear from the watery spray as Tintri, Michelle, and Pearl ran to engage the pack....

To Be Continued...

6. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 40: Hour of the Houndour (part 2)

"Let's go, Tintri!" Ash called as the pack of Houndours charged at the trio.

Tintri balked as a watery arrow splashed him as it landed in the ground. [Brock, you're not supposed to hurt the Houndour!] he protested as he threw off an attacking Houndour with a Seismic Toss.

"I'm not--I'm only firing into the ground, in hopes that the watery arrows will frighten off the Houndour." Brock assured Tintri as he readied another shot. "You know that I would never intentionally harm a Pokémon with my arrows."

With that, he fired at a patch of dry ground, catching a Houndour off guard as it ran to attack Michelle.

[Trying to attack me as prey? You forget I can put you out!] Michelle warned as she blasted away the Houndours with a Water Pulse.

"Good call, Michelle." Misty smiled a her faithful Golduck before hurrying to assist Pearl.

[Incoming!] Pearl called as she Rapid Spinned her way through the crowd of snarling Houndours, knocking the pack to the ground.

"Pearl, try Power Gem while they are down!" Misty called.

[HAH!!!] Pearl heaved a watery sapphire at the pack, dousing all four Houndours just as another watery arrow landed on the ground.

[Back off, everyone!] a fifth Houndour with shiny blue fur barked as he nimbly jumped down from a cliff. [Clearly the boy and his Pikachu are strong--i wish to challenge them myself.]

[Okay, chief!] the other Houndours replied as they darted away, allowing their shiny leader to face Tintri.

A few tense minutes passed, with neither Pokémon moving a muscle. "Why are they just staring each other down?" Misty wondered.

"I guess it's a test of wills..." Brock suggested.

He reared back as the shiny Houndour attacked first with an Ember, but heaved a relieved sigh as Tintri darted around it with a Quick Attack. As the Shiny Houndour looked for Tintri, Tintri heaved the strongest thunderbolt he could muster at his opponent. [HI-YAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!]

[Retreat! Retreat!] the Shiny Houndour barked before heaving a cloud of smoke at the group, making the three humans, the Pikachu, the Golduck, and the Starmie cough as the Houndours disappeared into the brush.

"Everyone okay?" Misty asked when she had recovered.

"I think so." Ash replied before coughing up the last of the smoke. "Follow those Houndour!"

---------

Meanwhile, the group arrived at a small cave at he end of the path. "This must be those Houndours' den..." Misty noted before noticing all the stolen belongings cluttered around a wounded Houndour. "I get it...the Houndours were taking things to help one of their own!"

Brock froze when he heard a familiar roar-like cry. "Golem!" he gasped, pointing out a massive round reptilian Pokémon approaching the den, intent on harming the wounded Houndour. His first thought was to nock an arrow, but watched as the other Houndours and their shining leader arrived. [Go away! Leave Noir alone!] the leader demanded before the other Houndours heaved a collective Flamethrower at the massive Pokémon.

"That's not gonna help..." Misty mused as the flames fizzled to nothing. "Rock can withstand fire..."

Just then, she noticed the Golem about to heave a rock at the Shiny Houndour. "Oh no!"

"I got this!" Ash made a flying jump towards the shiny leader, his body forming a shield around him as the rock hit his back.

[You...saved me?] the Shiny Houndour gasped as Ash weakly stood up, his back lightly throbbing in pain from the rock. [Even though we were mortal enemies moments before?]

"I did it because your pack needs you." Ash explained. "Without a leader, any group of Pokémon is helpless."

The Shiny Houndour nodded. [You are wise beyond your years, human boy--my name is Duin, chief of the Blackpaws]

He motioned to the wounded Houndour. [This is Noir, a young pup--he slipped and broke his paw playing in the crags one day, and though we do what we can, we fear the worst, as he grows sicker by the day.]

"An infection..." Misty realized. "We have to get Noir to a Pokémon Center, and fast!"

"Duin...we know where a healer is that may be able to help Noir." Ash explained. "Do you trust me enough to allow me to take him there?"

"Ash! You realize we're in the middle of nowhere, and we'd have to walk a long way in order to get Noir to town?" Misty gasped.

Duin nodded. [If this healer is as skilled as you say, we entrust Noir to your care, and allow you to take your belongings.]

"Thanks!" Ash replied as he located his bag in the clutter, slung it on his back, and gently picked up the wounded Houndour.

He turned to address Misty and Brock. "I can see the city lights in the brush, so I know I can carry Noir to the Pokémon Center."

"All right...but we'll come with you just in case." Brock replied.

Just then, Ash heard rustling in the bushes and gasped as Team Rocket climbed through the brush, covered in burs and thorns. "Team Rocket! You're not laying a finger on this Houndour!"

"We'll take anything, walking through the brush was a lot of trouble..." Jessie groaned as she picked thorns from her shirt.

"And with all the roots and spines everywhere, it makes our pain double..." James agreed as he pulled off a bur on his leg.

The Houndours, meanwhile, ignited a few arrowheads with an Ember. "Thanks, guys..." Brock smiled as he aimed one of the fiery arrows at the Rockets, while each Houndour readied a Flamethrower.

"To protect the--WAUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!" the Rockets screamed as the Houndours and Brock unleashed their flaming assault, buying Ash and Misty time to run towards the city lights...

---------

"We...made...it..." Misty wheezed as she and Ash arrived at the Pokémon Center, locating Brock on a couch in the main lounge.

"About time--I was hoping working with the Houndours to give the Rockets hot feet would give you enough time to get here." Brock wheezed. "After we scared them off, the pack was willing to give back what they stole--and so that's why I'm tired."

Just then, Nurse Joy spotted the Houndour Ash carried. "Oh my! That Houndour's paw looks severely infected!"

"I had to brave the brush in order to get it here." Ash explained as he gently gave Noir to Nurse Joy."

"It's fortunate you brought it here--it would've died if you'd waited too much longer." Nurse Joy explained as a Chansey rushed Noir off to the emergency bay.

---------

Nurse Joy returned a few hours later. "All right...I have an update on your Houndour. He is responding well to medicine, and he will recover, but we will keep him overnight before returning him to the wild."

Everyone heaved a sigh of relief. "It turned out the wild Houndours in this area were taking food in an attempt to help their own." Ash explained.

"I've already returned most of the stolen food to their owners...but here's one last thing that needs to return." Brock explained, offering Nurse Joy the ham.

"My ham! Thank you!" Nurse Joy cried, hugging Brock joyfully.

"Aw, it was nothin'" Ash smiled, but he noticed Brock's dreamy look from being embraced by one of his "two perfect girls". "We just did what we had to do."

"It's too late to travel tonight, so we'll rest here before we leave in the morning." Misty suggested.

"Good idea--I could use it after the long walk here." Ash agreed, to laughter from his companions as he sprawled out on a couch to doze...

---------

"Remind me not to try and steal that Pikachu when the Robin Hood twerp is there..." James shuddered, ever aware of the flaming arrows that blanketed the ground around the tree they had climbed.

"I'll say...I didn't count on hangin' out here tonight." Meowth grumbled as he tried to climb up to the branch Jessie was clinging to.

Some growls snapped him to attention. "But I'll take da flamin' arrows over wild Houndour any day!" he screamed as he scrambled up the tree...

To Be Continued...

7. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 41: The Totodile Duel

The whizzing of a fishing line filled the air as the three companions camped by a river. "Boy, fishing sure is boring..." Ash sighed as he watched his lure bob in the water.

"I know, fishing can be boring, but they always say patience is a virtue." Misty assured her friend.

"Virtue or not, it feels like we've been waiting for hours for a bite..." Ash was unimpressed.

Brock, meanwhile, was baiting his own line with a Wurmple lure. "It could be the wrong time of day for fish to be out, or maybe we're all using the wrong kind of bait..." He let that hang as he cast his line.

Misty was annoyed at Ash's constant complaining. "Well, maybe if you'd be quiet, you wouldn't scare all the fish away!"

"Look who's talking!" Ash shot back.

"I am NOT yelling! Misty retorted. "You are!"

"Yes you are!"

"No I'm not!

"Oh, yes you are!

"Am not!

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

[And here they go again...] Ami smiled as she invited Tintri onto a large rock with some popcorn.

[This is way better than TV...] Tintri agreed.

Just then, Ash and Misty were jolted from their fight by Misty's line jerking. "I think you've got something!" Ash smiled.

"Really?" Misty gasped, excited as she ran to her jerking rod and pulled it.

But after a few minutes of pulling and tugging, the three trainers looked crestfallen at what Misty had actually caught. "I just caught a tea kettle..."

"It put up a good fight, though..." Ash mused as he studied the old white teapot with faded purple flowers on it.

"Maybe you can throw it back and try for a coffee maker?" Brock jokingly smiled.

"I CAME HERE FOR Pokémon, NOT APPLIANCES!" Misty roared.

She smiled as she took out a lure that looked like a miniature version of her in superhero's garb. "I guess it's time for me to bring out my secret weapon--the Mini-Misty DX!"

The boys sighed as Misty cast her line into the water again, the lure's tiny cape fluttering is it flew towards the water. "I grew up around Water types, so I want to train as many as I can." Misty went on as she settled beneath a tree with Ami.

Suddenly Ash spotted a familiar Totodile dancing on a rock in the stream. Of all the Totodiles I've seen here, I've never thought to look them up in the Pokédex... he thought as he opened Dexter:

"Totodile, the big jaw Pokémon. Despite its small body, its jaws are very powerful. While it may think it is just playfully nipping, its bite has enough strength to cause serious injury."

"Wow!" Misty was impressed. "I don't know if I'd want to have one of those!"

Ash then recognized the Totodile dancing before the group. "Besides, this Totodile has an owner! This is Dundee!"

"Dundee?" Misty asked before the name clicked. "Oh! Ethan's Totodile!"

"I was wondering where he got to..." Ethan smiled as he and Lyra emerged from the brush. "He seems to love to dance..."

"Maybe he could dance a little while we play?" Brock asked.

"Yeah--you need to play 'The Ballad of Brian and Epona' for Ethan and Lyra." Misty suggested.

"Brock's quite the songwriter as well as a storyteller, and has set a number of folktales and memorable events from our own travels to music." Ash explained. "My favorite one so far is 'The Ballad of Brian and Epona'"

Lyra smiled. "We'd love to hear that song...after we parted ways last, Ethan and I have been exploring caves and ruins before we got back on this road."

"Come prepared with Repels if you go to Azalea Town via Union Cave." Ethan cautioned.

"Wasn't there a drought in that area?" Lyra wondered as she watched Hana and Dundee converse with Tintri.

"Yeah--but we found out Team Rocket was harassing the Slowpoke, and we gave them what for!" Ash replied. "Brock's also put his archery skills to good use against them!"

"Fire arrows are a good idea to scare them off, and an easy way to pop their Meowth balloon." Brock grinned as he joined Ash and Misty on the hill.

"I see you have gotten some new Pokémon..." Lyra noted when she saw several new Poke Balls at Ash's side.

"I have gotten some new team members...come on out, everyone!" Ash called as he heaved his four Poke Balls skyward.

He then proceeded to introduce his newer Pokémon to his friends. "You've met River before, and this is Luce..." He gestured to the Mareep. "...and Cyndy." He gestured to the Cyndaquil.

"Where did Blaze and Brenna get to?" Lyra wondered.

"Blaze is honing his skills with the Charizards of the Charific Valley, and Brenna's returned to Kanto with her old Squirtle Squad." Ash replied, brushing away a tear at the thought of his old companions. "I miss them both, but I also know they're happy where they are--and they can always come back if they want."

"That's very sweet of you, and probably not an easy decision for you to let them go." Lyra smiled. "You and River seem to get along well, and I'm sure you and Luce and Cyndy will be great teammates."

"Would you be willing to have a friendly match?" Ethan offered. "Two of yours against my two--a Phanpy I caught and named Ellie, and Dundee?"

"It's a deal!" Ash replied. "I choose River and Tintri for the match."

---------

"Representing the Gold side, Ethan and Ellie!" Brock announced, making a grand gesture to Ethan and a small blue elephant-like Pokémon.

[Bring it on!] the elephant Pokémon cried.

"...and representing the Silver side, Ash and River!" Brock announced, making another gesture to Ash and River.

[This'll be too easy!] River taunted.

"Are both sides ready?" Brock asked.

Both boys cheered in reply. "Good luck, Ash!" Misty called from a log.

"Okay...and three...two...one..." With that, the referee's whistle echoed across the lake.

"River, open with an Aqua Jet!" Ash commanded.

"Ellie, use Protect!" Ethan called.

[Hah!] River cried as she streaked at the Phanpy, only to find herself hitting a teal barrier. [What the...]

"You forget Protect can deflect any and all attacks." Ethan smiled.

Piqued, Ash dug out Dexter to read up on his opponent as River tried to attack from another angle:

"Phanpy, the long nose Pokémon. It swings its long snout around playfully, but because it is so strong, that can be dangerous."

A [WAUUUUGH!] got his attention, just in time to see the Phanpy whack River across their makeshift battlefield and land at his feet. "You okay?" he asked.

[I think so...when they say a Phanpy's snout is strong, they aren't kidding!] River wheezed as she weakly stood up.

"Ellie, use Rollout!" Ethan ordered, noticing the Marill was weakened.

"River, try and use Superpower!" Ash commanded.

Misty winced as both attacks landed at the same time. But when the dust cleared a few moments later, both Pokémon were heaving with exhaustion. [That had to hurt...] Ami noted.

"I'm sure it did." Misty agreed as she watched Ethan and Ash recall their tired Pokémon.

"Both sides have one Pokémon apiece!" Brock announced as Ethan sent out Dundee and Ash whistled for Tintri.

"This should be easy, bud--you have an advantage." Ash smiled as Tintri stared down the Totodile before him.

He balked as Dundee heaved a Water Gun at Tintri, making Tintri stumble backwards. "Tintri!"

[I'm fine...] Tintri replied. [I can--!]

This was far as he got before Dundee pounced on him with a Crunch attack, making him cry in pain from Dundee's powerful jaws!

"Good work!" Ethan called. "Now, freeze him with Ice Fang!"

[I can't give up...] Tintri growled as he weakly stood up to face the charging Totodile. [I WON'T GIVE UP!] he cried, unleashing a ball of electricity at the same time Dundee attacked.

[Did Ash come through?] Ami wondered as the icy electric explosion started to clear.

A familiar whistle pierced the air some seconds later. "Neither side has any Pokémon that can battle--this match is a tie!" Brock announced.

"A tie...both boys must've been evenly matched." Lyra mused as she used a Revive on Tintri.

"Thanks, Lyra." Ash replied as Tintri jumped aboard his shoulder again.

"You did great in that match." Lyra smiled. "I hope I can battle you sometime."

"Nice job, even if it did come out a tie." Misty agreed.

Ethan turned to Ash. "Good match--I have to commend your heroic effort."

"You did great yourself, even though you haven't been trained Pokémon for very long." Ash replied as the two friends shook hands. "We'll have to battle again when we both get stronger."

"I'll hold you to that." Ethan smiled as he and Ash embraced.

Lyra, meanwhile, told Brock "I'd really like to hear your ballad of 'Brian and Epona'." as she spread out a blanket and set out some food for the group to enjoy.

"I don't see why not." Brock replied as he hurried to retrieve his guitar from the campsite.

Once everyone was settled in and Brock was tuned, he started a brisk introduction before singing It's of a jolly beggarman came tripping o'er the plain,
    He came unto a castle fair, a lodging for to gain
    His Royal Highness, he came down and viewed him cheek and chin
    He said, 'You are a handsome man, of course I'll take you in...'

We'll go no more a roving, a roving in the night, Ash and Misty eagerly joined in.
    We'll go no more a roving, let the moon shine so bright
    We'll go no more a roving...

The beggar that the king took in, was not poor as he claimed,
    Brock started the next verse alone, trying not to laugh at Dundee dancing along on a rock.
    He really was a handsome prince, and Brian he was named
    He'd traveled far on a holy steed in search of fortune fine
    And bringing honor and great fame upon his royal line...

"Everybody now!" Ash called before leading the chorus. We'll go no more a roving, a roving in the night

To Be Continued...

8. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 42: Hot Matches! (part 1)

"I'm glad to know Ethan and Lyra are doing okay." Misty smiled as Ash received his Pokémon from the front desk. It had been a few days since Ash had had a friendly match against Ethan and his enthusiastic Totodile, Dundee. Though the match had ended in a tie, both he and Ethan had promised to keep getting stronger.

"They said they'd meet us on the main road after we're done here." Ash assured Misty as the group started for the Pokémon Center entrance.

"According to the map, we should get back on the main road in a day or two." Brock reported, pointing out the group's current location and the point on the main road where Ethan and Lyra had promised to meet them.

"Well, whatever you do, you may want to find another way to the main road." a navy haired boy cautioned as his Growlithe was rolled away into the intensive care bay. "Some red haired punk is challenging anyone that passes the bridge leading to the main road. He really did a number on Cameron, my Growlithe."

"We'll be careful, okay?" Misty assured the boy as the group stepped out into the sunshine.

"If this red haired punk is who I think it is, I have a bone to pick with him..." Ash muttered as he stepped over a tree root. "The roadside Pokémon Center stood at the end of a forested path, not far from the main road.

"But what if it's not Kamon?" Brock suggested.

"Then I'll show him--or her--that bullying people's not nice." Ash replied as the group rounded a corner that led towards the bridge.

Misty gasped when she saw Kamon in the distance tending to a large steel bird Pokémon. "Speak of Darkrai...it is Kamon!"

Ash growled when he saw Kamon, but Brock's hand on his shoulder calmed him. "Before you do something you'll regret later, will you let me try and talk to him?"

"Okay..." Ash sighed as he did his best to calm himself--although Kamon had done many things that bothered him, he also knew that anger wasn't the best way to solve a problem.

Kamon, however, smiled as Brock approached him. "Oh look, it's the bow wielding mage...what kind of spell are you gonna cast this time with your holy arrows?"

"I'm not here to fight." Brock replied as he met Kamon on the bridge. "You've done some things that concern me and my friends, and I want to know if there is a way we can resolve things peacefully."

"What's there to talk about? I'm on a Pokémon journey as much as you are." Kamon replied. "You guys keep trying to take the Pokémon I wanted to have."

"For one thing, you were explicitly told you weren't supposed to go on a journey." Brock explained. "Then you tried taking a Totodile that was meant for another trainer, a young Pokémon that was in no way ready to leave the wild, and then you tried taking a Farfetch'd that very clearly belonged to another. All three times were stealing a Pokémon, and all we were doing was getting them back where they really belonged."

"Okay, if it makes you feel any better, I got myself a Pokémon fair and square." Kamon replied, gesturing to the steel bird. "His name is Talavar--which means 'sword' in some language. If you're so confident, try and beat him! Send out your best Fire type!"

\"Why?" Brock asked as he took the Poké Ball containing his Vulpix, Hinata. "You know that since Steel types are weak to Fire, you're effectively asking for me to beat you?"

"I wouldn't be so sure, Robin Hood...I want Talavar to be able to beat any type of Pokémon; even Fire types." Kamon smirked

He turned to see Ash approaching. "So, are you gonna battle, or what?"

Brock sighed, opened his bag, and dropped the chain holding his referee's whistle into Ash's hands. "Would you mind reffing for us, Ash?"

"Sure!" Ash complied as he put the whistle around his neck.

---------

"Representing the Gold side, Kamon and Talavar!" Ash announced, making the steel bird Pokémon cry in reply. "And representing the Silver side, Brock and Hinata!"

[Bring it on, steel beak!] Hinata taunted, swishing her six tails in an attack display.

"Are both sides ready?" Ash asked, to cheers from both ends of the bridge. "And three...two...one..."

No sooner had the whistle blown did Talavar flap a dust cloud into Hinata's face. [GAH!] Hinata gasped as she made out Talavar swooping back into the air through her watering eyes.

As Brock and Hinata watched for an opportunity to attack the massive steel bird Pokémon, Ash decided to read up on Brock's opponent:

"Skarmory, the armor bird Pokémon. The feathers that it sheds are very sharp. It is said that people once used the feathers as swords."

Wow...I hope Brock knows what he's doing... Ash thought as he turned his attention back to the battle.

Just then, Brock noticed Talavar diving down towards Hinata! "Hinata, intercept the Skarmory with Flamethrower!"

[HAH!] Hinata heaved a stream of fire at the diving Skarmory, only for it to power past the flames with Agility! Hinata would fire again, and Talavar would dive past it.

After a few more Flamethrower attempts, Hinata grimaced. [Catch me if you can!] she taunted and dashed away thanks to her own Agility!

"Come on, Brock! You can do it!" Misty called from behind a rock, where she and Ami watched Talavar and Hinata chase each other, desperately attempting to make the other fall in the water.

Finally, Kamon noticed that Hinata was tiring. "Talavar, let's finish this with Steel Wing!"

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Brock cried as the Skarmory whacked Hinata with a glowing wing, sincing her flying across the bridge and landing at his feet.

Tears formed in his eyes as the whistle confirmed his worst fear. "Silver is unable to battle--Gold wins!" Ash announced.

"Hinata...you okay?" Brock asked as he got a Revive from his bag to wake his Vulpix.

[Ow...that's gonna hurt in the morning.] Hinata grimaced as she shook her tails in a huff.

"Is that all you've got?" Kamon asked Brock.

Brock was about to answer when Ash replied "I've got a Fire type, but she might just be too hot for your Skarmory to battle against!"

"Really? Try me, Wonder Boy." Kamon smirked.

"You're better than me at reffing, actually." Ash told Brock as he returned the whistle.

"You did pretty good for your first try, actually." Brock assured his friend as he ran to the middle of the bridge, where Ash had reffed moments before.

---------

"And three...two...one..." Brock counted before blowing his whistle again, prompting Ash to send out Cyndy.

"Talavar, open with a Fury Attack!" Kamon commanded, prompting the Skarmory to sind out a barrage of steel spikes. But Cyndy nimbly dodged every spike, and prepared to fire a Flamethrower of her own at the massive steel bird.

[WAUGH!] Some Swift stars sent her rolling backwards, but she recovered enough to jump away from another wave of Fury Attack once, twice, three times...

[OW!] she yelped as a fourth Fury Attack spike jabbed her in the stomach. Angered, Cyndy heaved a Flamethrower at her opponent, only for it to veer off to the right as the Skarmory flew away.

"Cyndy! You try and intercept it!" Ash called.

[Got it!] With that, Cyndy heaved another Flamethrower, only for it to miss the swooping and diving Skarmory again.

Kamon threw up his hands in frustration. "Okay, I give...we'll call a truce, since we'll be here all day at this rate."

"Okay, I concede as well." Ash replied.

Brock just blew his whistle again to end the match. "Game Set! This match is a tie!"

To Be Continued...

9. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 43: Hot Matches! (part 2)

"I am so glad to be back on the main road!" Ash smiled as he charged ahead of Misty and Brock. He figured Kamon had left after battling him to a draw, so they wouldn't have to risk resting at the Pokémon Center, and then their teams being thrashed again.

"I'll say..." Brock mused. "Luckily, Hinata should be okay until we get to a town proper, provided we don't run into Team Rocket or something."

"I'm in no mood to see those goons at the moment." Misty muttered. "It was bad enough seeing you guys get hammered by Kamon's new Skarmory, and who am I to think that Team Rocket could ambush us while we are weakened?"

Ash shuddered as Brock consulted his guidebook. "Ethan did tell us before we parted ways that some Pokémon Daycares allow trainers to stop and rest for the night...so if we can't reach a town, we could try finding one of those to rest for the night, if you don't want to risk camping."

"Like that one?" Ash pointed out a small house with a large field in the distance that resembled an identical picture in Brock's guidebook.

"Speak of Darkrai..." Misty gasped. "Just what we need--provided the family is one of those that welcomes travelers."

"Only one way to find out!" Ash grinned before hurrying to the house's front stoop and knocking.

A dark brown haired man answered the door. "Oh, travelers! How can I be of service?" he asked as an auburn haired woman and a red haired girl joined him at the door.

"We're not sure how far away a town is from here, so will you please grant the three of us shelter for the night?" Ash asked.

"Of course--the house has some spare rooms just for this reason." the man replied. "Come on in and make yourselves at home."

"You came at a good time--I was about to start dinner." the woman smiled. "Roast Combusken with all the trimmings--Miki's favorite." The red haired girl smiled, pleased that the group would be sharing her favorite meal with her family.

"If you need a helping hand in the kitchen, I'd be happy to pitch in." Brock offered. "As well as some post dinner entertainment."

As Brock and the woman departed into the kitchen, Miki noticed Tintri perched on Ash's shoulder. "How come your Pikachu isn't in his Poké Ball?" she asked.

"Well, Tintri is one of those Pokémon that doesn't like being in a Poké Ball, so my solution is to leave him out--and my right shoulder is his preferred spot." Ash explained, bending down to Miki could pet Tintri. "We do almost everything together."

"Kinda like that deep red haired guy and the Skarmory I've seen near the field lately..." Miki mused. "Maybe he does almost everything with his Skarmory too?"

Kamon... Ash grimaced--the memory of his draw with Kamon was still fresh in his memory.

"Something wrong, Ash?" Misty asked as she came downstairs.

"Miki says she's been seeing Kamon a lot in this area with his Skarmory, and thinks they do almost everything together, like Tintri and I do." Ash explained.

"Maybe Kamon isn't as bad or as evil as we think he is..." Misty suggested. "He may love his own Pokémon as much as we do ours."

"That may be true, but he told us, in his exact words, that he is a 'punk with standards'." Ash reminded Misty. "This devotion to his Skarmory Talavar may be one of those standards."

"We'll go with that, then." Misty smiled as she went to help Miki set the table.

Ash, meanwhile, located Brock tending to some mashed potatoes in the kitchen. "I'm gonna take Cyndy outside and train for a bit, so I'd love if you'd keep my share of dinner warm."

"You got it." Brock replied. "It should be ready here in a few minutes."

"I'll try not to stay out too late!" Ash called back as he motioned for Cyndy to follow him out into the grassy hills that surrounded a forest.

---------

"Come and get me!" Ash called in encouragement to the Cyndaquil running up the hill after him, giggling all the while.

After the two of them reached the top of the hill, Ash instructed Cyndy. "Okay, now hit me with the hardest Tackle you can muster!"

[HIIIIIIIII-YA!] Cyndy cried as she rammed into Ash, making him tumble down the hill. She noticed that even though he had fallen, he was still laughing as he eased himself to his feet and rejoined her at the top of the hill. This hardly seems like training at all--it's more like a game!

"Okay...that was very good!" Ash wheezed as he composed himself. "Next, let's work on your Flamethrower!"

Cyndy nodded, and unleashed a stream of flames into the sky. After firing the Flamethrower straight up, Ash watched as she made several more fire streams in several different directions, being careful not to set anything ablaze all the while.

Ash applauded as Cyndy finished her Flamethrower display. "You're getting so good at controlling the flames--before they seemed to fizzle out if you turned your head or changed direction."

[Thank you--your advice about focusing on a target was a big help.] Cyndy smiled. [What should we practice next?]

Okay, we've gone over Tackle, we've gone over Flamethrower... Ash thought before an idea came to him. "Let's work on Agility next--try to catch me if you can!" he smiled before taking off down the hill.

[I'm gonna getcha!] Cyndy called as she powered down the hill with Agility, eager to catch her running master in this glorified game of chase...

To Be Continued...

10. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 44: Hot Matches! (part 3)

Back at the house, Miki noticed that Ash's place at the table was empty. "Where did Ash get to? I hope he's okay..."

"He's fine--he just took his Cyndaquil Cyndy out to train for a while." Misty assured Miki as she passed Miki's mother the mashed potatoes.

"If you're worried that he'll go hungry, relax, I gave Ash a share--it's being kept warm in the oven." Brock added as he refilled his glass with Leppa Berry juice. "Hopefully he'll be back in time for the sing-along after dinner."

"I'm sure he will be--we won't start without him." Misty smiled as she fed Tintri a Leppa Berry.

"Good--if you guys are as talented as you say, I wouldn't miss a sing-along for the world!" Miki smiled as she returned to her own meal.

---------

Back on the hill, a growl got Ash's and Cyndy's attention. "Wow...have we really been out that late?" Ash wondered as he watched the sky begin to turn pink and orange as the sun sank below the trees. "I'm starved!"

[Maybe we could go back...] Cyndy suggested. [I'm sure the others are worried about us.]

"Okay...but before we do, do one more Tackle on me!" Ash asked.

[All right, I'm coming at'cha!] Cyndy replied before barreling into Ash, sending him stumbling backwards and landing against a Leppa Berry tree.

Moments after Ash examined himself and saw he was none the worse for wear, he was showered in Leppa Berries that had been dislodged by the force of Cyndy's attack. "Well, at least one of these should hold us until we get back to the house." he smiled before finding a suitable Leppa Berry in the pile.

He balked when he saw an angry Beedrill looking back at him. "WAUGH!" he yelped as he dropped the Leppa Berry and took off down the hill.

[Run for it!] Cyndy called as more Beedrills emerged from the tree.

Ash nodded, and did his best to keep up with the Cyndaquil, periodically looking back to see if the Beedrills were gaining on them. We have to get back to the house, no matter what!

He did not, however, expect to trip over a rock buried in the grass. [ASH!] Cyndy screamed as she watched Ash tumble head over heels into a heap, his arms dotted with various scratches and nicks.

She gritted her teeth as she heard the low hum of the Beedrills approaching--she was not about to have her master be stung by thousands of Beedrills! [Beedrills! Don't you dare sting my master!] she warned before unleashing a Flamethrower into the approaching swarm, burning many of the Beedrills.

Ash came to in time to see the remainder of the swarm flying away. "Ungh...Cyndy...did you just--ow--rescue me?"

[I sure did!] Cyndy smiled as she gently rubbed some of Ash's wounds with her quills, creating a soothing warmth that eased the pain. [We didn't even need Brock to come out here and shoot an arrow at them!]

Ash smiled. "Thank you--if we get to battle Kamon and his Skarmory in the morning, remember how you rescued me and fought off those Beedrills, okay?"

[If I can take on those buzzers, I can take on a Skarmory easy!" Cyndy smiled as she led Ash back to the house.

---------

"Ash! You made it!" Misty smiled as Ash and Cyndy returned some moments later. "Although...what happened to you?" she asked as Brock hurried to assess the many bites and wounds on Ash's arms.

"We were training on the hill near the house, and I asked Cyndy to Tackle me." Ash explained. "She did, and I landed against a Leppa Berry tree. Just as I found one that was ripe enough to eat, I saw a Beedrill on it, which angered a whole swarm!"

"So, what did you do?" Brock was interested.

"We tried to run away, but as we ran, I tripped on a rock." Ash went on. "That explains all the bites and scratches. Just when it looked like the end, Cyndy ran in front of the swarm and used Flamethower. She managed to burn almost the whole swarm!"

"Wow!" Miki gasped.

"Maybe she might be ready to try taking on Kamon and Talavar again." Brock smiled. "But he's probably gone to bed by now, so we'll try to find him in the morning."

As soon as he was happy with all the swirls of medicine on Ash, he saw Miki waiting with hopeful eyes. "All right--gather 'round and we'll have our sing-along and storytime."

[YAAAAAAAAY!!!!] Cyndy was just as excited as Miki was as she followed Ash into the living room, where the others had gathered.

Once the group had settled in and their instruments were tuned, Brock kicked off the first story of the night. "Once upon a time, in a place far from here, and in a time far from now, there was a queen who had three beautiful daughters, who were renowned far and wide for their beauty, wisdom, and kindness to all. They were courted by kings and princes, and many others of high degree, but hadn't yet chosen any of them. One day a great prince, that no one knew, and who had never been seen in that land before, came, like the others, looking for the hand of one of these beautiful ladies. But the queen approved of him, in case he was able to succeed in winning the willing hand of either of her daughters...."

---------

The next morning, the group and Kamon met near the same hill Ash and Cyndy had trained by the night before. "You realize that you're asking to be beaten?" Kamon smirked as Talavar eyed the tiny Cyndaquil.

"Bring it on!" Ash snapped back. "Cyndy's a lot stronger than yesterday!"

"All right, but don't come crying to me when your Cyndaquil has to be rushed to the emergency bay." Kamon grinned as he motioned for Brock to give the count.

"Okay! Three...two...one..." Brock counted before blowing his whistle to start the match.

As if the whistle was its cue, Talavar took flight, circling around the makeshift battlefield once before diving in with a Steel Wing. But when Cyndy didn't appear to be any the worse for wear, the huge armored bird grimaced and soared skyward again.

Ash just calmly observed the circling Skarmory from the Silver side of the arena. "Remember how you saved me from the Beedrills last night." he reminded Cyndy.

[Don't worry...] Cyndy growled before bracing herself for a second Steel Wing. Although the second attack sent her sliding backwards, she shook off the pain and bounded forward, waiting for an opportunity to counter her huge opponent.

I see...it's vulnerable right after it delivers Steel Wing! Ash thought as he watched the Skarmory fly away again. Maybe if Cyndy has enough strength to attack after it attacks again...

He called "Cyndy, use Flamethrower if you can!" as soon as he heard the THWANG! of a Steel Wing impacting.

[HAAAAH!!!] Cyndy cried as she unleashed a stream of flames, sending the armored bird crashing to the ground, writhing in pain from the fire.

"Gold is unable to battle--the match goes to Silver." Brock announced as Cyndy cheered.

Kamon seemed surprisingly calm at his loss. "So you managed to find the fatal flaw in my strategy--well played." he smirked. "That just means I have to train even more until I can be invincible--and you won't have a lucky shot to save you when that happens!" With that, he stormed off in a huff.

"Great job, Ash..." Miki smiled. "I want to learn to be a great hero like you--and like the heroes in the stories your friend tells. So I'm going on a journey of my own."

"Oh Miki..." Miki's mother hugged her daughter. "Whatever path you take in your Pokémon journey, we'll support you all the way."

"I believe you could be a hero like Ash, sweetie." Miki's father agreed.

Miki, meanwhile, hugged Ash one last time. "Be safe on your own travels, Ash--and I hope you and I can meet again!"

To Be Continued...

11. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 45: Dundee's First Love (part 1)

After bidding Miki and her family goodbye, the group had no problem meeting up with Ethan and Lyra. The walk since their meeting had taken the five travelers under a forested canopy. After following the winding path under the trees for a while, they emerged onto another stretch of open road nearby a lake.

"We should be coming up on Lake Cobalt over on the left..." Brock reminded the group as they rounded the bend near the lake.

"Perfect spot for a picnic, actually." Lyra agreed. "Anybody need a break from walking?"

"I do...it's getting hot." Ash complained as he wiped the sweat from his brow.

"We're right here by the lake, so I have no problem making camp here." Misty assured Lyra before heaving four of her five Poke Balls skyward. "Come out out, guys! Break time!"

"What about the fifth Pokémon?" Lyra wondered as she watched Michelle make a flying leap into the water. "It deserves some swim time too."

"Well, a Lapras would take up the whole lake, so I only get Aurora out near the beach." Misty assured Lyra.

"That's fair." Lyra replied before returning to her waiting picnic supplies.

"River, you too!" Ash heaved the Poké Ball with his Marill skyward.

"Dundee, come on out!" Ethan called as he tossed the Poké Ball containing his Totodile skyward.

Dundee yawned as he materialized on the grass, but perked up when he saw the forms of Magikarps swimming beneath the lake surface. [Look at me! I'm a TV star!] he called to Ethan as he proceeded to spray water at the Magikarps, juggling them like balls.

Misty couldn't help smiling at Dundee's juggling act. "Well! If Dundee wants to go on a talent show on TV, let him--he's got the perfect act!"

"I dunno--my biggest fear is if he gets stage fright on 'Johto's Got Talent'." Ethan mused.

Just then, Dundee was snapped to attention by a female voice in the distance. [Floating in the sky, just like the silver moon
    Although I try to reach you, I can't hold you, and you slip away...]

Piqued, Dundee followed the song to another part of the lake shore, where a blue and white spotted rabbit-like Pokémon with similar features to a Marill was singing the song:

[From within the darkness, I reach for the future
    Although I call out for you, my voice only fades away...]

Dundee's eyes turned to hearts over the rabbit Pokémon and her song. She's so beautiful! I'm gonna do a little dance for her!

With that, he dashed out before the rabbit Pokémon and proceeded to tap dance to a melody only he seemed to hear. The rabbit Pokémon, however, was unimpressed with the dancing Totodile before her, so she sprayed him with a Water Gun before walking off in a huff, to Dundee's despair.

---------

Meanwhile, the five humans and some of their other Pokémon had settled in to enjoy the mini sandwiches Lyra had packed, when a rustle in the bushes got Misty's attention. "Huh?"

She gasped when a Golduck with glowing dark blue feathers and a red beak and webbing emerged from the brush. "A Shiny Golduck!"

"Before you get too excited, I would wait to see if anyone owns that Shiny Golduck first." Brock cautioned as the Shiny Golduck peeked in several more bushes and behind trees, as if looking for someone or something.

Just then an auburn haired girl emerged from the brush with a Pidgey not far behind her. "Any luck, Wave?" she asked the Golduck as the Pidgey perched on her shoulder.

[Not so far...I've checked every place Breeze said to check.] the Golduck sighed.

"Please leave the guitar behind..." Misty hissed as Brock got up from the table to introduce himself, desperately hoping Brock would not try to sing to a girl that was in obvious distress.

"Hi there--my name's Brock." Brock began as he approached the girl. "Is there something I can do for you?"

A hopeful look formed on the girl's face. "My name's Trixie--nice to meet you. "Have you happened to see any Azumarills around here?"

Brock then emerged with a familiar guitar in hand, making Misty facepalm. "I may not have seen any Azumarills around here, but please, have a song to inspire your search!"

With that, he started a familiar introduction, oblivious to Trixie's confused look and Misty storming in his direction. It's of a jolly beggarman came tripping o'er the plain,
    He came unto a castle fair, a lodging for to gain
    His Royal Highness, he came down and viewed him cheek and chin
    He said, 'You are a handsome man, of course I'll take you in...!

"You'll do no more a-singin', Mr. Balladeer!" Misty snapped as she dragged Brock back to the table, guitar and all. "She looks clearly distressed, and the best you can do is sing one of your stupid ballads?"

Trixie stifled a giggle at Misty ranting before Ash spoke up. "Forgive Brock, Miss Trixie--he just likes to serenade any girl he can find."

He then changed the subject. "May I ask what you're looking for?"

"I'm looking for my Azumarill, Meri." Trixie explained as the Azumarill from before tiptoed behind her master's legs. "Have you seen her?"

Piqued, Ash decided to consult Dexter:

"Azumarill, the aqua rabbit Pokémon. By keeping still and listening intently, it can tell what is in even wild, fast-moving rivers."

"Cool!" Ash smiled.

He heard Dundee making kissy noises at Meri, but Meri just turned her head away.

---------

"Here we are, gang--the Cirque Jubilee!" Trixie smiled as she made a grand gesture to a large blue and white circus tent and several smaller tents in the distance.

"Wow..." the group gasped as they looked out at the sprawling grounds.

"It's beautiful!" Lyra raved.

"Thank you--I've enjoyed the circus and performing since I was very little, so it only made sense I taught all my Pokémon to do tricks." Trixie replied. "However, over the last week or so, I've had trouble with Meri, who has been acting weird since Wave joined the troupe."

Elsewhere, Brock had decided to pitch in in setting up the show. "Okay, Dundee--think you can fill this swimming pool for the high dive act?" he asked the excited Totodile, gesturing to a large inflatable swimming pool that had just been inflated.

[Okay!] Dundee replied before taking a deep breath and unleashing a Water Gun, filling up the pool. [Be right back!] he called before hurrying off.

"What are you--!" Brock asked before he saw Dundee return with Meri, and set her in the pool. He then winced as Meri sprayed Dundee, then stormed off.

"I'm confused...why would Dundee be suddenly obsessed with this Azumarill?" Ethan wondered as he retrieved Dundee and dried him off.

"Maybe he's falling in love?" Misty suggested.

A grin formed on Ethan's face. "There's an idea...who would've thunk Pokémon could develop crushes too?"

---------

"And now, here's Meri the Marvelous and her amazing water juggling act!" Trixie announced, to thunderous applause from a large crowd as a spotlight appeared on Meri, who was juggling a set of seven balls with a single Water Gun.

"Whoa! She's good!" Ash raved.

Misty noticed Dundee squirming to get free from Ethan's arms. "Dundee's being antsier than usual..."

"He's--!" Ethan started before Dundee wriggled free from his arms and made a beeline for the stage! "Dundee! NOOOOOOO!!!"

He watched as Dundee eagerly danced for the crowd a little, but when someone threw a Tamato Berry at him in an attempt to get him offstage, he eagerly sprayed it with a Water Gun, proceeding to juggle it himself.

The crowd roared with laughter and eagerly threw more Berries for Dundee to juggle. [Fine--if that lovesick Totodile wants to upstage me, he can have the stage!] Meri grumbled before storming off with a huff.

Back in the audience, Ash took the lights going down as an opportunity to capture Dundee. "Come on, Ethan--if we're gonna get Dundee off the stage, now's our chance!"

"Right!" Ethan replied and followed Ash to a stage entrance. He was already embarrassed enough that Dundee had upstaged the scheduled acts, but deep down, he feared he would be even more embarrassed by being roped into an act.

Neither of the boys realized that Dundee had finished juggling Berries and had dashed off after Meri until they felt spotlights appear on them and a recording of the Johto reel "The Chorus Line" blared into the air, making both boys freeze in their tracks.

Inspired, Ash decided to shuffle-step in time to the beat. When in Orre... Ethan sighed as he too mimicked Ash's shuffle-stepping, making sure to mimic every kick, roll step, toe step, and jump his friend did. To the crowd, it looked like the two boys onstage had been trained in traditional dancing for years, when in actuality, they were only making up the steps as they went along.

Even Lyra was impressed as the reel "Goldenrod House" began. "Wow...I didn't know Ash and Ethan knew how to step dance!"

"They don't--they're only making it up as they go." Misty replied, trying oh-so-hard not to laugh at Ash's and Ethan's awkward smiles as they "danced" to the song.

The song ending and the boys taking a relieved bow gave her an idea. "Okay Brock--now you can sing one of your folktale ballads while Ash and Ethan look for Dundee."

"You got it!" Brock replied as he hurried off, guitar in tow.

Ash motioned for Ethan to follow him backstage as Brock started the introduction to the ballad he had tried to sing before, making the audience clap along. "Brock's got the audience busy, let's find Dundee!"

"Right behind you." Ethan smiled. "Although...that step dancing cover was a good idea, even if we were making up the steps on the fly."

"The sooner we find Dundee, the better." Ash muttered as he heard Brock lead the ballad's chorus on the stage:

We'll go no more a roving, a roving in the night

To Be Continued...

12. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 46: Dundee's First Love (part 2)

Elsewhere, Team Rocket watched Ash and Ethan's awkward dance and Brock's epic ballad from the safety of a bush. "So, the two hat boys fancy themselves dancers, do they..." Jessie smiled. "Maybe if we just grabbed that Azumarill and the hat-twerp's Pikachu, we could start our own little traveling show..."

"And Robin Hood twerp also fancies himself a rock star...interesting." James smiled, bemused over Brock singing and playing guitar on the stage.

"I dunno, you guys...I don't want my tail used as a chew toy..." Meowth was unsure about his human companions' idea.

A smile formed on his face. "I would, however, be game for a soykis if I got ta announce da acts rather dan bein' an act."

"All right, what would you put in our traveling show if we let you announce the acts?" Jessie was intrigued.

"It'd be a show for da ages--not jus' for da admins and da boss, but truly da greatest show on oith!" Meowth replied, slipping into a daydream of a crowd of Rockets entering a huge circus tent, with the four admins and Giovanni in a private box overlooking the center ring. "And it wouldn't be jus' you guys and any swiped Pokémon handlin' da acts--any of da grunts dat could perform could join in!"

"Okay...so what kind of acts do you think Archer, Ariana, Petrel, and Proton would like?" James asked as the Meowth in the daydream announced Meri doing her juggling act, to "aw"s and laughter from the Rockets in the audience.

"Lessee here...Archa likes big spectacle, so any acrobatical act would be poifect!" Meowth replied as in his daydream, Jessie, as a trapeze artist, performed a graceful somersault over the crowd and stuck the landing, to Archer's ecstatic applause.

"Ariana loves da teater, so any sort of tricks with actin' will do for her." Meowth mused as in his daydream, James proceeded to perform a Pyroar taming act with a story.

"Petrel likes magic acts and illusions...." Meowth mused as a Rocket magician appeared on the stage. "But don't tink we're jus' pullin' Bunearies out of a hat--dese will be tricks so amazin' you have ta see'em to believe'em!" The Petrel in the daydream gasps in awe as the young magician performs a clothing change trick.

"Protons' da techno-geek, so anyting with video game music and lasas will do for him." The daydream shows some more acrobats doing an elegant aerial dance to a techno version of The Legend of Zelda theme, to the Proton in the dream's awe.

In the present, Meowth sighed dreamily as he imagined his circus. "That's actually a good idea, Meowth--let's move out and get those Pokémon, and we'll make your dream circus come true." Jessie's voice snapped the tiny cat-Pokémon back to reality.

"Okay--right behind ya!" Meowth replied as he hurried to catch up to his companions.

---------

"I'm so sorry Dundee upstaged your act, Trixie." Ethan apologized some time later, after the show had ended. "I don't know what got into him, but he seems obsessed with your Azumarill for some reason..."

"It's okay--you and your friends are pretty talented yourselves." Trixie replied.

"Speaking of Dundee, where did he get to?" Misty wondered.

"Last I checked, I gave him to Brock to try and talk some sense into him, but I think he's only making the problem worse..." Ethan groaned as he looked over towards a tree, where Brock was talking to Dundee.

"If you want a girl to like you, they love getting gifts." Brock explained. "So why don't you try giving Meri some of the Pokechow I made yesterday?"

[Okay!] Dundee smiled as Brock gave him three balls of Pokechow, then hurried over to the lakeshore, where Meri was resting. [Would you like a snack? Fresh Pokechow?] he asked, offering Meri one of the balls.

[No thanks--I wouldn't want to spoil my dinner] Meri replied as she got up to leave.

[Aw...] Dundee sighed. But his sadness turned to horror when he saw a large net come down onto Meri! [Meri! I'll save ya, sweetheart!] he called before hurrying off after the net

Horrified at seeing Meri captured, and Dundee's heroic efforts to grab at the net as it was dragged through the grass, Brock fumbled for his referee's whistle. I never thought I'd have to use the alert signal I once learned as a scout, but this is an emergency!

With that, he blew a single long blast, sending Ash, Misty, Ethan, and Lyra hurrying to the shoreline. "What happened?" Ethan asked, his heart pounding in fear as he watched Dundee grab at the net.

"I was trying to teach Dundee some proper behavior around a lady when I saw a net come out of nowhere and take Meri." Brock explained. "Dundee chased after it, and is still trying to grab at it."

Ash growled as a familiar Meowth balloon appeared in the sky, allowing Dundee to see that the net was attached to the basket. "I knew Team Rocket would catch up to us sooner or later..."

"Your little friend can try all he wants, but it won't be worth the trouble." Jessie smirked as Dundee tried to jump onto the net.

"And should he fall from the sky, he pain will be double!" James agreed.

With that, the two Rockets began the all-too-familiar motto:

"To protect the world from devastation..."

"And unite all peoples within our nation..."

"To denounce the evils of truth and love!"

"To extend our reach to the stars above!"

"Jessie!"

"James!"

"Team Rocket! Blast off at the speed of light!

"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!"

"Meowth! Dat's right!"

"Errrgh...Tintri, use Thunderbolt!" Ash called.

"Not today, hat-boy!" Meowth sneered as he trapped Tintri inside a shock-proof jar. "You want him? Come and get him!"

"Tintri!" Ash called as the balloon flew away.

[I'll save them both!] Dundee vowed as he hurried off in the direction the balloon was going. [Even if I have to go to the end of the world to do it!]

"No!" Ethan gasped as he and Ash hurried off after Dundee. "Dundee, it's too dangerous! Please, come back!"

---------

"Well...we got back Dundee, and then lost him again..." Ethan sighed a few hours later, as he and Ash returned to the camp near the shore, where the group had gathered to plan their next move.

"But we need to get back Tintri and Meri..." Ash sighed as he shared a tearful embrace with Trixie.

He then turned his cap back. "Trixie...you have our word we will do everything we can to save Meri, okay?"

"Well, we can't do any rescuing while we're having one big pity party!" Misty grumbled. "I know it hurts to lose a Pokémon, but we can't sit here and cry all night! We have to do something!"

"So what do you suggest, Lady Misty?" Brock asked, bowing before Misty as if she were a knight.

"Let's begin our search on the other side of the lake, in the direction the balloon went--the Rockets can't have gone very far." Misty began as Ash helped her break camp.

"Breeze, try to search from the air, and tell us if you see any sign of those hoodlums that Poke-napped Meri." Trixie instructed her Pidgey.

"If we find the balloon, I'll be happy to pop it again." Brock grinned as he retrieved his archery gear, put out the campfire, and followed Misty and the others into the brush...

To Be Continued...

13. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 47: Dundee's First Love (part 3)

Meanwhile, Team Rocket made themselves at home in a log cabin, complete with the captive Pikachu and Azumarill. "Come on Meri, do the water juggling act?" Jessie pleaded.

[No--I have no business with hoodlums like you.] Meri replied.

"Or, do a ribbon dance?" James asked, dangling a ribbon before Meri.

[No.] Meri replied. This continued for a while:

"Balance on a ball for us?"

[No.]

"Do a trapeze act?"

[No.]

"The Pokémon pyramid?"

[No.]

"We'll make you a dinner fit for royalty if you do something for us...."

[No.]

Annoyed, Jessie stormed over to the defiant Azumarill and lifted a hand to slap her. "Fine, we're done being nice! If you don't do as we ask, we'll give you a reason to obey!"

Moments before Jessie could slap Meri, she was doused in a wave of water. [She doesn't WANT to obey you crooks!] Dundee cried as he dashed into the cabin and stood between Jessie and the frightened Azumarill. [If you dare hurt her, you'll have to answer to me!]

"Can it, chompa!" Meowth growled as he jumped Dundee and tied him up tightly. "Let's see ya try to bite tru dis rope!"

---------

"Meri!" Trixie called as the group made their way through the brush.

"Tintri!" Ash was next to call.

"Dundee!" Ethan called before sighing. "It's no use, guys...we're never gonna find them at this rate."

He saw tears shining in Ash's eyes. "I know...I want Dundee back as much as you want Tintri back and Trixie wants Meri back, but we're not going to get anywhere running on no sleep."

"Ethan has a point." Brock agreed as the group arrived in a small field. "Let's just make camp for now, and plan our next move for in the morning."

Ash sighed. "Okay...but if Team Rocket has hurt Tintri in any way, shape, or form when we find him, I'm gonna make them pay dearly!"

---------

[Meri?] Tintri whispered from his cage. [You awake?]

[Yeah...] Meri sniffled as she looked out at the moon. [I'm just scared, and worried...what are those hoodlums gonna do to us? Will our masters ever find us?]

Tintri eased a Kleenex box over by his cage, took one, and tried to offer it to Meri. [Here...can you reach this?]

[Thank you...] Meri sobbed before blowing her nose with a soft honk.

[I know our masters are out there.] Tintri assured Meri. [If Brock can send Team Rocket running with a rain of arrows or pop their Meowth balloon with one, he can come save us!]

Meri giggled a little--the first time she had laughed that day. [I'm sure your singer friend is equally talented with archery as he is with song...]

A chomp got both Pokémon's attention. [There...finally chewed through all the rope.] Dundee smiled as he kicked away what remained of his bindings through his own cage.

He remembered Meri's teal ribbon and offered to her through the cage bars. [I did get your ribbon back on my way here.]

[Thank you...] Meri smiled as she took the ribbon.

[And to cheer you up, I'll do a jive!] Dundee offered, a bit too loudly.

[SHHHHHH!!!] Tintri quieted Dundee. [You can't dance in here, or you'll wake the Rockets up!]

Dundee sighed. [All right, fearless leader-chu, got anything quiet to cheer Meri up?]

[I do, actually...] Tintri smiled before asking Meri [Wanna hear a story about a brave little girl?]

[Sure!] Meri smiled.

[Okay...] Tintri waited for a moment for Dundee to settle in, then began [Once upon a time, a certain village was struck by a harsh drought. Many of the crops died, and the villagers feared they would starve that winter. One traveler even feared he would have to sell his daughters into slavery...]

---------

The night passed without incident, and Tintri had kept his friends entertained by quietly telling them stories he had heard Brock tell. But as the sun rose the next morning, Team Rocket prepared to make their getaway. "I wonder...what if, instead of a traveling show, we gave our catches to the admins and the boss?" James mused as he joined his comrades outside.

"Assuming the boss gets the Pikachu, who would get the Azumarill and the Totodile?" Jessie wondered as she finished the flight checks.

"Archer gets the Totodile, since he likes fierce and intimidating Pokémon; and Ariana gets the Azumarill, since she likes pretty Pokémon." James explained as he climbed inside the basket.

"But den Petrel and Proton don't get a Pokémon!" Meowth protested as he loaded the cages holding Tintri, Meri, and Dundee aboard, forgetting all about his circus dream from the previous day. "We need to find dem a Pokémon too so dey're not left out!"

"We'll see what we can find when we take off, so all the admins get a Pokémon gift." Jessie assured Meowth.

The Rockets, however, were blissfully unaware of the Pidgey watching their takeoff in the brush. Breeze then flew as fast as she could to meet the group. [You guys! The Rockets are getting away!]

"I see that..." Trixie noted as the Meowth balloon started to rise into the brightening sky. "If only we had a way to bring down that balloon..."

"Here's your answer." Brock grinned as he showed Trixie an arrow.

"Archery--what a great idea!" Trixie smiled as Brock nocked his shot and aimed at the rising balloon.

Lyra watched as Brock fired a few moments later, then smiled as a POW! confirmed a hit. "Nice shot!" she smiled as the Meowth balloon came crashing back on the ground.

"Wasn't the first time I've shot down the Rockets, and it likely won't be the last." Brock assured Lyra.

"You'll have to tell me about the first time later." Lyra replied as she led the group over to where the cages containing Tintri and Dundee lay, aware of the Rockets assessing the puncture in the balloon's fabric. The impact of the crash had caused both cages to pop open, allowing their occupants freedom.

"Tintri!" Ash gave a mighty Ursaring hug to his companion.

"Dundee!" Ethan was equally happy to see his Totodile. "Are you all right?"

[Yeah--Rockets didn't hurt me or nothing...just gave me a lot of rope to chew through.] Dundee replied.

"That's two out of three...where's Meri?" Lyra wondered.

Just then, Misty spotted Meri's cage in the basket, guarded by Arbok and Weezing. "There!"

Lyra motioned for the Pokémon to huddle around her. "Okay...Trixie, if you tell Wave to knock out their Arbok and Weezing, Hana will lasso Meri's cage with a Vine Whip, and Dundee can dispatch the two human Rockets. And then Tintri can do the rest."

[I've got this!] Hana smiled.

[It's payback time!] Dundee agreed.

"Okay, Wave! Use Water Gun!" Trixie commanded.

Arbok and Weezing were not expecting Wave;s assault, and were quickly washed away. Dundee's spray came moments later, knocking Jessie and James down and buying Hana time to catch Meri's cage.

Ash grinned as Hana nudged Meri to safety. "Okay, bud...your turn for a little payback."

[HI-YAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!] Tintri cried as he unleashed a massive Thunderbolt, sending the Rockets and their damaged balloon flying off with a ping.

[Just a nudge over here...] Hana mused as she finished picking the lock of Meri's cage with one of her vines and a thorn. [Done!] she smiled as the cage door opened.

[Master!] Meri cried as she ran to hug Trixie.

"Oh, Meri...you had me worried all night!" Trixie smiled as she hugged her Azumarill. "Are you okay? Did those crooks hurt you at all?"

[No...they almost did.] Meri replied.

Dundee, meanwhile, wistfully looked at Meri. [Do I...go confess my feelings for her now?]

"Go on." Brock coaxed. "Now's your chance."

But no one expected Meri to run past Dundee and into Wave's webbed arms! [Thank you for saving me, Wave! You're my hero!] Meri smiled.

[I couldn't bear to see you in danger.] Wave replied. [I'd even die for you if I had to!]

As Dundee watched the reunion in shock, Trixie just smiled. "I see...Meri had feelings for Wave all this time...and now Wave's confessed his feelings for her!"

[Aw...I wanted to be the one confessing feelings...] Dundee sighed as he slumped to the grass.

"It's okay, Dundee--even you can't win every time, love--and not just the romantic kind--is still worth fighting for." Brock assured Dundee.

[You're right--there's plenty more Magikarp in the sea!] Dundee smiled, making everyone laugh. Even Misty had to giggle in agreement.

"Thank you for sharing your talents with me and my crew..." Trixie smiled. "Even if your Totodile had a crush on Meri."

"I'll be happy to share more stories and songs with you if we meet again." Brock replied as he gathered his gear.

"Come on, Dundee!" Ethan called. "It's time to go!"

He balked when he saw Dundee dancing for a Quagsire on the shore. Here we go again... he thought as he raced to recall the Totodile before he caused even more trouble.

A splash got his attention as the Quagsire walked away. "Come on--you've had enough adventure for one day." Ethan assured Dundee.

Misty sighed as Ethan shepherded Dundee back towards the group. "All we need now is for Dundee to pull out a guitar and sing, and he'll be just like Brock!"

[Singing--what a great idea!] Dundee gasped before dashing up to a Piplup. [O sole mio, o solo you-oh!] he tried to sing, before a flash of light got his attention--Ethan trying to recall him!

"Come on, Dundee--I don't have time for this!" Ethan called as he chased after his lovesick Totodile. "Dundee, return! Dundee, come on, one crush was enough! Dundee, come back here! DUNDEEEEEEEEEEE!"

To Be Continued....

14. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 48: Fowl Play! (part 1)

"It took a little work, but Dundee finally listened to Ethan." Ash assured the others as they made their way through a forest.

"Maybe Ethan and Lyra taking a different route from us is for the better..." Misty agreed. "Hopefully Ethan can teach Dundee how to behave around girl Pokémon--although I will admit what you told him was a good start."

She was snapped from her thoughts by a large birdhouse overlooking a large clearing. "Oh wow...what kind of bird Pokémon would fit in a birdhouse like that?"

"It'd have to be something huge...." Brock mused, impressed by the size of the birdhouse's entry hole.

"Mina could probably fit in there..." Ash suggested before a majestic brown owl-like Pokémon landed in a tree near the birdhouse. He motioned for his friends to follow him into a bush, where they watched the Noctowl climb towards the birdhouse.

Once concealed by the bush, Ash retrieved his Pokédex to read up on their discovery:

"Noctowl, the owl Pokémon. Its eyes are specially developed to enable it to see clearly even in murky darkness and minimal light."

"Wow!" Misty gasped before the rustling of a branch and a male voice got her attention. "Something's going on outside..."

Brock parted some leaves to see a brown haired researcher in a purple outfit and a pale yellow scarf shooing away the Noctowl with a branch. "Looks like this researcher is shooing the Noctowl away, like it's not the one he wants, or something."

All three friends gasped as a Noctowl that shone with a soft gold aura from its glittering gold feathers landed on the birdhouse. "A Shiny Noctowl..." Misty mused. "And just days after seeing a Shiny Golduck too..."

"Presumably, every Pokémon in the world has a Shiny form--you can tell from their different coloration and either a shining aura or a glittering body--or with some kinds, both." Brock explained. "In folklore, Shiny Pokémon are said to be magically gifted or divine--the most famous example being Epona, the Shiny Ponyta common in many folktales."

He was snapped from his lecture by the Noctowl kicking away some Berries on a branch away, causing the man to barely hang onto a branch. It then pecked at the man's fingers, causing him to fall to the ground before flying away.

"Are you okay?" Ash asked as the group emerged from the bush to assess the man for injuries.

"I think so..." the man replied. "Thank you for your kind concern--I am Dr. Wiseman, Pokémon biologist. I've been following this Shining Noctowl in hopes I can capture her and study how Shiny Pokémon fare in captivity. This way, I can find out if there's any truth to legends of Shiny Pokémon having magical power."

"So it's a girl?" Misty asked.

Dr. Wiseman nodded. "The females are usually larger than the males, but our female is special because of her color, which makes her a precious specimen worthy of study! But no matter what I do to attract her, she outwits me, and so I have yet to catch her, as you plainly saw from your vantage point in the brush."

Ash eagerly fished a Poké Ball from his bag. "Since you say this Noctowl is rare, I'm gonna take a crack at catching her myself!"

He then heaved the Poké Ball at the shining Noctowl before him. "Poké Ball, go!"

[I think not!] the Shiny Noctowl taunted as it kicked the Poké Ball away, to Ash's horror. Her eyes then glowed a deep blue. [You are getting sleepy...]

"I'm gonna...catch you...if it's..." Ash yawned before slumping to the ground, asleep.

"Hello?" Misty asked, nudging her dozing friend before the whoosh of wings got her attention. "There she goes..." she sighed as the Shiny Noctowl flew away.

Brock retrieved his referee's whistle from a pocket. "Allow me to wake Ash up...so you may want to cover your ears."

With that, he blew as hard as he could, making Ash wake up with a jump! "Okay, I'm up! I'm up!" he gasped, much to Misty's delight as he scrambled to his feet.

"You should've seen the look on your face!" Misty smiled, giggling as she savored the memory of Ash's shocked face when Brock had blown his whistle.

Even Dr. Wiseman couldn't resist smiling. "Let's return to my forest cabin...we'll talk more there."

---------

"So why would you be all the way out here, and not a part of the Pokémon you study?" Brock wondered.

"It's simple...I want to study only the rarest and most unusual Pokémon." Dr. Wiseman replied. "Once I have discovered all the secrets this forest has to offer, I'll comb the region, and then other regions, to find their hidden treasures only a rare few ever see."

"If it's rare Pokémon you want to see, I've got one right here." Misty offered as she retrieved the Poké Ball holding her Golduck. "Michelle, come on out!"

"But that looks like any other Golduck..." Dr. Wiseman was unimpressed at the muscular blue duck Pokémon before him.

"Even though you'd never believe it seeing her as a Golduck, as a Psyduck she was rare and unusual because she couldn't fly or swim." Misty explained. "But with a lot of work, some patience, and a little love, she caught up to her peers, and now she can fly and swim."

Misty giggling made Dr. Wiseman grimace. Now I want to catch the shining Noctowl all the more, because laughter reminds me of the way she mocks me.

I don't know what Dr. Wiseman plans to do with this Shiny Noctowl once he gets it, but something's not right here... Ash thought when he saw Dr. Wiseman's pained grimace.

Both of them made the same silent promise: I will catch that Shiny Noctowl, if it's the last thing I do!

---------

Later, the group watched from a bush as Dr. Wiseman rigged an odd device to a tree. "You sure that whatever he's rigging in the tree's going to work?" Misty wondered.

"I don't know..." Ash replied. "I just don't think using a trap to catch it is right...that sounds like something Kamon or Team Rocket would do."

He went on "Once Dr. Wiseman has that Noctowl, who knows what he plans to do to her?"

Just then, Dr. Wiseman joined the group in the brush with the loose end of a rope. "All right...now all we have to do is wait!"

A few tense moments passed before the group heard the whooshing of wings approaching. Just as the shining Noctowl landed on the branch, Dr. Wiseman pulled the rope, revealing a mirror next to where the shiny Noctowl stood.

Brock watched in awe as the shiny Noctowl used Hypnosis on its own reflection. "I see...the mirror reflects the attack back, making the target hypnotize itself."

However, the reflection of the Hypnosis happened to shine in Dr. Wiseman's eyes as well! "Not only does it hypnotize whatever looks at it, but anything in the direction the light of the Hypnosis reflects from!" Ash mused as Dr Wiseman slumped to the ground, asleep. "The light is coming right at Dr. Wiseman, since he is in the path of the reflection!"

He noticed the Noctowl sleepily stumbling towards the bush. "Are you okay?" Ash asked, shielding his eyes from the Noctowl's glittering feathers as it approached.

"Be careful, Ash...the Noctowl might feel threatened." Brock cautioned as Ash tensely reached out to touch the shiny Pokémon before him.

Just then, a breeze sent a branch flying, hitting Dr. Wiseman. "Mm...was it supposed to be windy today?" he yawned as he woke up.

Misty gasped when she saw where the wind was coming from--a massive fan controlled by Team Rocket! "I KNEW you hoodlums would be showing up sooner or later!"

"Besides, didn't we already break a fan you used?" Brock agreed.

"Yeah, I know, we've tried dis tactic oilier in dis story..." Meowth assured the group. "But dis time, I'm confident it will woik!"

To Be Continued...

15. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 49: Fowl Play! (part 2)

Previously, on Pokémon Moonlight Silver...

Just then, a breeze sent a branch flying, hitting Dr. Wiseman. "Mm...was it supposed to be windy today?" he yawned as he woke up.

Misty gasped when she saw where the wind was coming from--a massive fan controlled by Team Rocket! "I KNEW you hoodlums would be showing up sooner or later!"

"Besides, didn't we already break a fan you used?" Brock agreed.

"Yeah, I know, we've tried dis tactic oilier in dis story..." Meowth assured the group. "But dis time, I'm confident it will woik!"

Ash growled in frustration at seeing the odd machine. "Tintri, use Thunderbolt!"

[HAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!] Tintri screeched as he fired the attack--but the group had to dive for cover as the crackling thunderbolt went flying back at them!

Not one to be deterred, Ash selected two of his other Poke Balls. "River, Cyndy, I choose both of you!"

"Not today, hat-boy!" James taunted as he flipped a switch, triggering some balloons at the bottom of the machine to inflate, sending the Marill and the Cyndaquil tumbling to the ground!

Dr. Wiseman, however, had come to in all the confusion. "This is it! My chance to get the Shiny Noctowl!" he smiled as he reached out to take the beautiful gold Noctowl.

"Who said this Shiny Pokémon was yours?" Jessie taunted as she picked up the Shiny Noctowl and Dr. Wiseman with a claw, sending the researcher flying as they brought the gold Noctowl to them.

Misty heard the thud of Dr. Wiseman landing some moments later. "You guys deal with the Rockets, I'll make sure Dr. Wiseman is okay!" she called.

"Okay!" Ash replied. "Brock, think you could send an arrow to stop that mecha?"

"Already on it." Brock replied as he reached for an arrow, aimed at the escaping mecha, and fired a few moments later, sending the strange machine falling into a clearing with a crash.

"Nice aim." Dr. Wiseman smiled. "But where did our Shiny Noctowl get to?"

"I see it!" Misty pointed out the Shining Noctowl peeking out from a lower compartment of the destroyed mecha.

"I'm gonna try and pry the bottom open so she can get out!" Ash offered before swinging onto the mecha's foot from a tree and using all his strength, but was soon exhausted. "This thing is harder to pull apart than I thought..."

"Let me see if Michelle can help you out." Misty volunteered before hurling a Poké Ball skyward. "Michelle, go help Ash!"

[It's a simple case of mind over matter, really...] Michelle smiled as she sent some magenta waves of Confusion to weaken the bolts, allowing Ash to pull the metal apart just enough to allow the Shiny Noctowl to fly to safety.

"Thanks, Michelle." Ash smiled at the Golduck before a crack got his attention--the branch he had been using as leverage was about to give way!

The Shiny Noctowl watched in horror as the branch cracked, sending Ash hurtling towards the ground below. [Someone...help my rescuer!] she called before flying into a position that alloweed Ash to land on her back.

[Let's turn up the heat!] Cyndy smiled before unleashing a Flamethrower.

[Never underestimate the power of steam!] River smiled as she sprayed a Water Gun at some of the super hot metal, creating a cloud of steam as the steel began to buckle, making a large crack in the bottom.

[And for the finishing touch, a shocking ending!] Tintri grinned as he fired another Thunderbolt into the crack, making the mecha and its three occupants glow bright yellow before they and the mecha's remains went flying into the sky with a ping.

"Good riddance." Brock smiled as he put away his bow.

"Without that shot, we wouldn't have had a chance." Misty assured her friend.

Just then, the Shiny Noctowl fluttered to a branch facing Ash. [For rescuing me, and your heroic deed today, I pledge my allegiance to you, and no other.]

"Honest?" Ash asked. The Noctowl nodded.

After thinking a moment for a suitable name, he announced to his teammates and Dr. Wiseman "All right...I'm gonna call you Goldie!"

"Goldie...a fitting name." Dr. Wiseman smiled. "Perhaps I am not meant to own this Shining Pokémon--she is too smart for me. But if she has pledged herself to you, maybe you or another researcher will have better luck with her."

"I know just the researcher for the job--Prof. Oak, of my home region of Kanto." Ash explained. "I'm sure he would love to learn about Shiny Pokémon."

"That he would--I hear he is the foremost authority of Pokémon." Dr Wiseman smiled.

He turned to Ash. "Whether you send Goldie to Prof. Oak right away, or allow her to travel with you, I wish you all the very best of luck and safe travels on your adventures."

"We will, Doctor--and good luck with your own research as well! Ash replied as he embraced Dr. Wiseman, then turned to walk with his companions into the setting sun...

To Be Continued...

16. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 50: Forest Grumps (part 1)

(what Brock tells

Ash's song)

"I hope Goldie will be all right with Prof. Oak..." Misty smiled as the group made their way down a forest path.

"I think so...she looked relieved to be with Prof. Oak and not that Dr. Wiseman guy..." Ash replied. "I still shudder at what he was planning to do to her when he caught her..."

"Well, what matters is she's safe and in good hands with an ethical researcher..." Brock assured Ash. "Prof. Oak doesn't look like the type to be doing shady experiments..."

Ash was about to answer when a female voice calling "Ya-ho!" got his attention. "Oh, hey! Ethan and Lyra are making camp by that lake!" he called as the trio emerged from the brush into in open clearing, where sure enough, Ethan and Lyra had made camp by a lake.

"Fancy finding you guys again!" Ethan smiled as the group arrived. "If you're curious, Dundee has behaved himself since we last went our separate ways.

"If you're hungry, we're about to have lunch." Lyra offered.

"We'll take you up on that...come on out, everyone!" Ash called, heaving his own Poke Balls skyward.

"You guys too!" Misty did likewise, releasing her own team.

"And you guys!" Brock also released his team.

"Good thing I made enough chili for all of us..." Ethan smiled as he checked a small pot simmering over the campfire. "Thanks again for the recipe..." he told Brock.

"Anytime." Brock replied. "It works over a campfire as well it does on a stovetop...and heats up very nicely in the microwave the next day!"

"I have to ask, though--what gives it its kick?" Lyra asked. "Hot sauce?"

"Nope--taco seasoning." Brock replied. "Easy way to give it a bite without setting your mouth on fire. I will warn you to use it sparingly--a little bit goes a long way."

"Point noted." Ethan replied before giving Brock a spoonful to taste test.

"Hm...I like how you added actual onions instead of onion powder." Brock explained. "Adds a little sweetness to it."

He was about to say more when something shiny in the air caught his attention. "What's that?"

Misty realized the shiny object was a net. "JUMP!"

The group and the Pokémon scrambled out of the way as the net landed on the grass. "You're not trying anything funny today, Team Rocket!" Ash called in the direction of some bushes, where the net had come from.

He waited to see if Team Rocket would come out and say their "To protect the world from devastation" spiel, but balked in surprise as Kamon emerged from the bushes. "Kamon? That was you that built that net?"

"Yeah...just little old me, and not those Team Rocket goons." Kamon smirked. "I meant to move all your friends' Pokémon out of the way so we could fight one on one, but it appears my net didn't work..."

Just then, a hum and a PYEOW! of a Hyper Beam filled the air, sending Kamon diving into the brush to avoid the bright orange beam.

"What was that?" Lyra asked, confused as to where the beam had come from.

"I have a bad feeling about this...everyone, return!" Misty called, recalling her team.

"And you guys!" Brock agreed.

After everyone had recalled their teams and broken camp, Ethan noticed a group of large bear Pokémon approaching where their camp had been. "We'd better get out of here before those bear Pokémon turn us into toast!" he cried as the bear Pokémon charged at the group.

The group raced as fast as they could through the brush, the PYEOWs of Hyper Beams raining around them as they leaped over tree roots and locks, avoided thorn patches, and climbed through logs. But as the group approached a three way fork in the road, Brock and Lyra dashed down the left path, Misty and Ethan continued on the main path, and Ash, Tintri, and Kamon hurried down the right path, unaware that the group had been split into three smaller groups.

"Did we lose them?" Ash asked as he and Tintri came to a stop some moments later.

"I think we did...and now that we're both together, we can finally battle so I can prove you're not as wonderful as you think, Wonder Boy!" Kamon growled as he drew a circle in the dust with a stick, then drew a line to split the circle in half, so it more or less resembled a Poké Ball.

Growls got Ash's attention. "Now's not the time to battle, let's go!" he called to Kamon as more Ursarings arrived.

---------

"Whew...they're gone, but where did the others get to?" Misty asked as she and Ethan stopped to rest by a stream.

"I think in all the confusion, we got separated from each other." Ethan replied before calling into the brush "Lyra!"

"Ash! Brock! Where are you?" Misty called.

When no reply came, a determined look formed on her face. "Ethan...if we're gonna find everyone, we'll have to be a team--can you do that?"

"Sure." Ethan replied. "Good friends stick together, no matter what."

Just then, more growls alerted Misty to some approaching Ursarings. "Well, as our first act as a team, we need to run!"

---------

"Okay...I'm pretty sure those beam-bears won't find us here." Kamon mused as he and Ash arrived by a still pond. "Although if we're gonna battle, our referee's nowhere to be found..."

"I think our battle's gonna have to wait..." Ash confessed. "We've lost everyone else."

Kamon sighed. "Okay...if it means getting out of here in one piece, I'll do what I can to help you find your cohorts, Wonder Boy."

He noticed Ash's Pokédex peeking out of Ash's bag. "Can't you use that Game Boy-thingy to find out more info on those beam-bears?"

"Sure..." Ash retrieved the Pokédex and allowed Kamon to see a picture of the bear Pokémon that had been chasing them:

"Ursaring, the hibernator Pokémon. Its keen nose can pick out any scent, even that of food buried deep underground."

"Wow...no wonder they've been able to find us." Kamon was impressed. "If you can make us a camp, I'll keep an eye out for crazed Ursarings."

"Got it!" Ash replied before unpacking his own camp gear.

---------

"Misty!" Lyra called as she and Brock searched down the path. Brock then whistled in hopes that Misty would hear him, but no answer came.

Lyra, meanwhile, slumped against a tree. "It's no use...we're never gonna find them at this rate..."

"So long as we stick together, everything will be okay." Brock assured Lyra.

A hopeful smile formed on Lyra's face. "I think in our rush to get away, we all got separated...so the others can't have gone very far."

"That's the spirit!" Brock smiled. "Are we a team?"

Lyra nodded. "Lead the way, O fearless leader."

---------

"No sign of the boys yet..." Misty sighed as she and Ethan continued down the path. "I wonder if they are looking for us at all..."

"I'm sure they are, and I know Lyra's looking for me." Ethan replied. "She may look like a sweetheart, but she and her Pokémon are a great team."

He noticed another fork in the road in the distance. "How bout it? Should we keep going this way, or take one of the forks?"

Misty dug a coin from her pocket. "Heads, we go left, tails, we go right."

With that, she flipped the coin... only for it to land on its side! "So, what do we do if it landed on its side?" Ethan asked as the coin continued to spin on its side in the dust."

"Let's just keep going down the way we're on." Misty sighed. "For all we know, those two forks are dead ends!"

---------

As the stars came out for the night, Brock and Lyra arrived near a large pond. "It's getting late, so let's just make camp here for the night." Brock suggested.

"Good idea." Lyra suggested as she unloaded her camp gear and watched Brock start a campfire.

She next tossed two Poke Balls skyward. "Hana, Saphir, come on out!"

"How nice to see you again, Miss Hana." Brock smiled as the Chikorita watched him cube some potatoes.

He then noticed a Marill by Hana. "This must be Saphir, yes?"

Lyra nodded. "Seeing Misty with Ami and Ash with River inspired me to get a Marill of my own. Saphir's still a little shy though, so don't take it personally if she doesn't join in the campfire sing alongs at first."

[H-hi...] the Marill stammered at Brock before looking at the pot simmering over the campfire. [What's in there?]

"Our dinner for the night--baked potato soup." Brock explained as he added some chicken stock to the pot.

After adding some bacon chunks and cheese to the pot, Brock let the soup simmer for an hour before spooning it into bowls. "Okay--it's ready."

"Mm...this is good!" Lyra raved. "Better than my mom's recipe!"

"Well, when you have to cook for a large family that is various degrees of picky, you have to maintain a balance between broadening horizons and something you know they'll eat." Brock explained. "Of course, it's always nice when you find something everybody can agree on, like chili and baked potato soup."

Lyra ate a little more of her soup, than asked Brock "Think you could spin one of your Lore Stage yarns? It would keep me from going nuts worrying about Ethan."

"Sure." Brock replied. "Any requests?"

[Tell the one about the hermit that helped win the princess!] Hana requested.

"Okay..." Brock then started the story. "Long ago, there lived a very rich man who had three sons--their names are not important just yet. When he felt his time was approaching, he divided his property between them, making them share and share alike, both in money and land."

[That's fair...] Saphir smiled.

"Now, the king of the land where they lived had a daughter--we'll call her Wendy." Brock explained. "One day, he told all the heralds to proclaim throughout the land that whoever could build a ship that sail as easily on land as it could on water would have Princess Wendy's hand in marriage...."

----------

"I knew we should've taken one of the forks..." Misty grumbled as she and Ethan continued down the path. "For all I know, we could be going around in circles!"

"Let's just make camp for the night--it's getting dark." Ethan suggested as he motioned for Misty to follow him to a hill.

"Okay..." Misty sighed, more out of relief than anything else. "What are we gonna have to eat, though?"

"I have some sandwiches from yesterday..." Ethan replied as he got out a small cooler filled with drinks and food. "Ham, turkey, or roast beef?"

"Ham." Misty smiled as she took one of the ham sandwiches and added some Cheddar cheese and mustard to it.

But before she could take a bite, a growl got her attention. "Our sandwiches will have to wait, the Ursarings found us!" she screamed as she motioned for Ethan to follow her, moments before some angry Ursarings crashed through the brush...

---------

"Okay...I don't think Ursarings will be able to find us in here..." Ash assured Kamon as the two of them crawled into a cave overlooking a pond.

"Just arrange the sticks we found into a nice pattern, and I'll get a fire going." Kamon suggested as he reached for a red lighter in his pocket.

After starting their campfire and putting a Combusken breast over a makeshift spit to roast, Kamon told Ash "You know, Wonder Boy...Ash...you're actually not that bad to be around. In fact, I'm surprised anyone would want to hang out with me after all the grief I've given you..."

"It doesn't matter, I'd still give anyone stranded in the forest a safe place to camp, food, and a bed." Ash assured Kamon. "Including someone like you."

Once the meat and vegetables were ready, and the boys and Tintri had eaten, Kamon asked "So, what do we do for entertainment? Robin Hood's the rockstar with the guitar--unless you've got a guitar in there."

"I'm more of a wind instrument person, anyway." Ash explained before fishing a silver whistle with a green mouthpiece from his bag. "Any requests?"

Kamon winced when he saw the whistle in Ash's hands. "Oh great...bad memories of third grade music class coming on..."

He sighed. "What're you gonna play, Wonder Boy? 'Mary Had a Little Mareep'?"

"Nope...how about 'Jelan's Prayer' from 'The Song Mage Chronicles'?" Ash suggested as he prepared to play the familiar song.

With that, he started a familiar prayerful melody that rang out from the cave, across the pond and over a plain, where Misty and Ethan had made camp.

Misty smiled as she heard the familiar song in the distance. "You think that's Ash playing, Ethan?"

"I'd like to think so..." Ethan replied as he looked up at the starry sky and listened to the whistle's song ringing through the forest. "In fact, I believe Ash is telling you 'Don't worry, I'm coming to find you guys' in that song."

To Be Continued...

17. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 51: Forest Grumps (part 2)

As the sun rose on the forest the next morning, Misty woke up to find Ethan was gone. "Ethan?" she called as she scrambled from her sleeping bag. "Ethan! Where'd you go?"

"Over here!" she heard Ethan call back as he returned to the campsite on the hill. "I did some scouting for a route we could take, and found another road nearby a cave. However, we'll have to climb down the cliffs to reach the cave..."

"Oh boy...you sure you know what you're doing?" Misty asked.

"If I can climb in caves and ruins, I can climb on outdoor cliffs." Ethan assured Misty as the two of them shared an uneasy breakfast. "You don't have to worry--you'll have a safety tether on the whole time, so if you do slip or lose your footing, you won't fall into oblivion."

"That makes me feel a little better, but still nervous." Misty confessed.

"And I'll be spotting you, so you'll know where the good footholds are." Ethan went on as he showed Misty a map of the cliffs, marked with possible safe routes they could take to reach the cave. "So, which route do you want to take?"

"The short one, in blue." Misty offered, pointing out the route on the map.

"Okay...let's clean up and get going before more Ursarings find us." Ethan suggested as the group threw away their trash in a Pokémon-proof sanitation box.

"Yes, lets." Misty agreed. "The sooner we find everyone, the better."

---------

"Misty!" Lyra called into the trees. Brock whistled a few times before Lyra called again. "Misty, where'd you go?"

A growl got her attention. "Uh oh..."

She gasped when she saw an angry Ursaring lumbering in her direction, and reached for the two Poke Balls at her side. "Hana, Saphir, let's go!"

A sick feeling welled up in Brock's stomach. I can't lace an arrow with Repel and warn the Ursaring away, but at the same time, I don't think a Chikorita and a Marill will be able to do much of anything against an Ursaring...

He reached for a Poké Ball. "Argent, I need your help!"

[What is it?] Argent asked as he materialized on the road, making the Ursaring approaching them look like a Teddiursa in comparison.

"May I induce you to keep this Ursaring at bay, and protect Lyra?" Brock asked, aware of the frightened look on Lyra's face.

[Sure...I will not stand to see a lady in peril.] Argent smiled.

With that, Brock held his Mega Ring to the sky. Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo...

Lyra watched in awe as a green flash lit up the sky and engulfed the Steelix towering over her in light. Amazing--Brock can use the legendary power of Mega Evolution!

When Argent emerged from the light as Mega Steelix, Brock commanded. "Okay, Argent, Tackle the Ursaring!"

[HAAAAAAAAAHHH!] Argent roared as he slammed into the Ursaring, sending it flying backwards in a burst of rainbow light.

Lyra watched as the Ursaring charged at the Mega Steelix. "Hana, give Argent a hand with Razor Leaf!"

[Got it!] Hana replied as she sprayed the sickle shaped leaves at their opponent, making them gain a rainbow aura thanks to Argent's Mega Evolution, before slicing into the Ursaring's chest with another rainbow burst.

Brock swallowed hard as more Ursarings arrived to avenge the one the two of them had wounded. "I think we need to go...Argent, return!"

"Hana, Saphir, return!" Lyra recalled her own team and followed Brock down a hill, the Ursaring in hot pursuit.

---------

"Almost there..." Ethan coaxed Misty as she stepped from the cliff to solid ground. "There...you made it."

"That actually wasn't so bad." Misty admitted as Ethan took off her safety tether. "But the next question is, where do we look for everyone?"

A growl startled her. "Not again!" she screamed as she and Ethan dashed off down the path.

The rest of the forest seemed to pass by in a blur to Misty as she worked to keep Ethan in view. But as the two of them reached the top of a hill, they could see Ash, Trintri and Kamon not far behind them, and Brock and Lyra approaching from the other way! "You guys! We're here!" she called.

"Misty! Brock!" Ash hurried to hug his companions. "I wondered where you guys went!"

"Lyra!" Ethan was equally happy to see Lyra. "I missed you!"

"It's cool we're all back together, but shouldn't we be running from the beam-bears?" Kamon asked, reminding the others of the angry Ursarings approaching.

"This way!" Ash motioned for the others to follow him down a second path in the road.

Before long, the group had ran down a winding forest path and all the way to a rickety old wooden bridge. "Oh great--this thing's gonna break as soon as we get halfway!" Misty sighed.

"Just like in all those adventure movies I watched as a kid..." Brock was equally annoyed as the rickety bridge started to buckle underneath him.

"Well, if we're gonna prevent ourselves from being TV tropes, let's go!" Kamon called.

The group hurried across the bridge as fast as they could go, but an Ursaring used Slash on one end of the bridge, making the left half fall into a river far below, and the right half, with the others slam against a cliff. Ash was still holding the wooden planks, holding everyone up.

"Argent, help us out!" Brock called, allowing the Mega Steelix to pull the bridge up high enough to reach the path.

[Okay...I have the bridge stabilized, but I can't hold it up and save you guys too.] Argent reported.

"Hana, help me!" Lyra called as she summoned her Chikorita.

Ethan gingerly retrieved one of his Poke Balls. "Ellie, I need your help!"

[Talk about a cliffhanger...] the Phanpy noted.

[Ellie...I'm gonna use Vine Whip to pull up the ropes, so can you use your trunk for the others to hold onto?] Hana asked as she fashioned the ropes and her vines into a makeshift pulley.

[Okay!] Ellie replied before offering her trunk to Ash. [Grab on, and don't let go!]

The Mega Steelix and the Chikorita worked frantically to get their masters back onto safe ground, but relieved cheers filled the air some hours later, when the group was back on safe ground again."

"I don't want to be hanging on for dear life any more!" Misty nervously giggled.

"Me neither...I'll leave that to movie stuntmen." Brock agreed.

A smile formed on Kamon's face. "You know, Wonder Boy...you're actually not that bad to be with. I'd come listen to another whistle solo anytime."

"Thanks!" Ash smiled before he realized Kamon was hurrying off down the road. "But what about...our..battle..."

A sign at the forest edge got his attention. "Hm...Warning, it is currently the Ursaring mating season and they are using this area as their breeding grounds. Do not disturb them if it's the last thing you do, because if you do, it just may be."

He facepalmed. "NOW you tell us..." he groaned as everyone laughed, relieved that their crazy adventure had ended well...

To Be Continued...

18. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 52: A Goldenrod Opportunity (part 1)

"I'm at least glad Ethan and Lyra are on their way after running into those Ursarings." Misty smiled as the group continued down the road a few days later.

"I'll admit that I'm even glad Kamon made it out alive, but if I'd have known it was Ursaring mating season, I would've picked a different route and avoided the whole mess to begin with." Ash mused, petting Tintri as he spoke.

"Forgive me for interrupting the conversation, but take a look at what's just ahead!" Brock called, pointing out a signpost in the distance.

He made a grand gesture to the sprawling city in the distance as Ash and Misty arrived at the top of the hill. "I give you...Goldenrod City."

"Wow..." Ash and Misty gasped as they gawked at the glittering gold city before them.

"Goldenrod City...the festive city of opulent charm, one mile." Misty read the sign before admiring the city some more. "It's an opulent and festive city, all right!"

"How bout it? Was it worth all the detours and setbacks to get here?" Brock grinned at Ash, who was gawking in amazement at the skyscrapers and colorful signs in the distance.

"It was..." Ash smiled before taking a picture of the city with his PokeNav. "But I am more than ready to compete for my third Johto League Badge!"

With that, he charged down the hill. "Last one there's a rotten Exeggcute!"

"Hey, wait for us!" Misty and Brock were not far behind.

---------

"Okay...how do we even begin to find our way around here?" Ash wondered as he looked around at the thousands of people going about their daily routines, crisscrossing the various crosswalks to reach one of the millions of shops and opulent malls.

"I hope you brought your wallets, guys...I'm ready to do a little shopping!" Misty smiled, giddy over the huge malls that towered over many of the buildings.

"Forget shopping, there has to be a thriving music scene out here!" Brock was equally excited. "That, and there have to be storytellers out here too, so I can learn some more material for the Lore Stage."

"Oh yeah...I wouldn't mind learning some Johto tunes myself..." Misty smiled, savoring a memory of the often hours long jam sessions the three of them played at and sometimes hosted back home in Kanto.

The sizzle of a burger hitting the grill snapped her to attention. "Not to mention traveling works up an appetite!"

Brock looked over at the food cart Misty was studying, where a line was beginning to form. "That does look delicious." he agreed as the cook delivered the burger--now adorned with two types of cheese, lettuce, and pickles--to a customer.

"I want to shop, jam, and eat too, but can't we see if the Gym is at least open first?" Ash asked--he did not want to be caught off guard like he was in Azalea Town. "If it is, I wanna challenge the local Gym Leader and earn my next Badge!"

"All right, we'll go see if the Gym Leader is in." Brock assured his companion as the group started off down a street.

---------

"Notice: The Gym Leader is out today--challenges will be taken tomorrow." Ash read the sign on the Gym door. "Well, now that I know the Gym Leader isn't taking challenges today, we can explore the city, at least."

"Hope you've got your instruments..." Brock smiled, pointing out a dull red haired boy fine tuning a mandolin as a plum haired girl looked over which of many percussion instruments she needed to play.

"Got room for a few more?" Ash asked the boy as he sat down on a rocky outcropping that ringed a fountain, Pokeflute in hand.

"Sure." the boy smiled. "Keely and I enjoy traveling around the world and jamming with as many people as we can--name's Alex, by the way."

"We learned from several good sources that Goldenrod is a hot spot for jam sessions." Keely explained as a wind gust ruffled her pale blue shirt. "With so many people coming from around the world, you'll hear a pretty diverse mix of tunes."

"We're travelers from Kanto ourselves." Ash explained as he watched Misty and Brock tune up. "I'm Ash...while I'm mainly competing in the local League, I'm not too shabby on a Pokeflute or whistle." He gestured to the empty Pokeflute case and the four whistles peeking from his bag to prove his point.

He heard Misty and Brock warming up as he went on. "My companion Misty is a fiddler and my companion Brock is a master guitar player, singer, storyteller, and songwriter--even if he does have a tendency to sing to any pretty girl he can find."

With that, he joined in with Misty and Brock, seguing into the Kanto jig "The Song of Life" as Keely and her companion Alex played along...

---------

"That was fun--I hope we can play with Keely and Alex again." Misty smiled as the group arrived on another open square some hours later.

"I did learn quite a lot of Legendary Beast tales from Alex--these will definitely come in handy for the Lore Stage." Brock was equally happy as he looked over the last of the stories he had written down, then closed up his notebook.

He looked up at a building with a huge black tower in the distance, where it seemed to dwarf even the tallest skyscraper in the area. "That has to be the tower for the main regional station, WJTO." he explained before getting out his PokeNav and starting the RadioNav app. "Shall we see what sorts of music and shows it plays?"

"Yeah!" Ash and Misty replied as Brock located WJTO in the list of available stations and tapped the "LISTEN" icon.

Some exciting music filled the air. "Hi, everyone! It's Buena!" a young female voice began. "It's time for today's password! Today's password is 'Pikachu!' If you can find me broadcasting live and tell me the password, you'll get a very special prize! Good luck!"

"The password is 'Pikachu'--got it!" Ash mused as some music started on the radio stream.

"I remember Ethan telling me about Buena and her show while we were lost in the forest..." Misty mused as the group started off towards the tower. "The prizes she gives can range to packages of common items and WJTO gear to Pokémon and items you can't find anywhere else, so it's worth it to try and catch her show, especially if you're in the Goldenrod area."

"According to Lyra, Buena is in one of three possible locations every time the show broadcasts--Radio Square, where the tower is located, in the Galaria d'Oro, which is the main mall, or in Yuzu Gardens, where we just came from--and they don't tell you which of the three she's at." Brock explained. "I didn't see anything that looked like a radio station's broadcast booth or vehicle in Yuzu Gardens, so we can rule that out."

"We're closest to Radio Square, so let's check there." Ash suggested, whispering the password to himself so he wouldn't forget it. "Pikachu...Pikachu...Pikachu..."

As the group turned the corner onto Radio Square, Ash spotted a large broadcast booth near the tower, where a brown haired DJ in a pink T shirt and jeans was visiting with passersby or autographing things. "That must be Buena! Let's go give her the password."

Misty and Brock followed Ash as he approached the booth, getting the female DJ's attention. "Hi there! Do you remember today's password?" she asked.

"I do, Buena." Ash confidently smiled.

"Oh, wow!" Buena gasped--she had not expected someone to arrive with the password that quickly. "Thank you!"

Then something occurred to Buena. "What was your name again?"

"I'm Ash!" Ash replied.

"Okay then, Ash...come join the show." Buena smiled as she directed Ash to a small mic positioned so passersby could interact with Buena inside the booth. "What was the password?"

"The password was 'Pikachu'"." Ash replied, grinning at Tintri all the while.

"You're absolutely correct!" Buena announced, to a triumphant fanfare. "Well done!"

She offered Ash a Poké Ball. "Here you are...a Machop of your very own. I'm sure you'll give her a good home."

"Thanks!" Ash replied before the group departed.

"You're welcome--I hope you'll tune in for more passwords and more chances to win!" Buena replied.

She then proceeded to announce to both local listeners, and listeners from around the world Ash's achievement. "Congratulations to Ash for giving me this hour's password for a Machop! I'll have another password and another prize for you next hour, so stay tuned!"

To Be Continued...

19. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 53: A Goldenrod Opportunity (part 2)

"All right, we've jammed, we've eaten..." Misty mused as the group walked down another street. "Met a few new friends, Ash won a Machop in a radio contest..."

"Any ideas as to what you want to name your new Machop yet?" Brock asked.

Ash was about to answer when he felt a bump against his leg. When he knelt down to see what it was, he found a Clefairy rubbing its head. [Ow...that hurt...]

"It's okay...we didn't mean to get in your way." Ash assured the Clefairy.

As Ash assessed Tintri and the Clefairy, a pink haired girl approached them. "Oh, there you are, Navi!" she smiled before noticing the Clefairy rubbing its head. "Oh, you must've crashed into someone! Does anything hurt?"

[Nah..it's just throbbing right now.] the Clefairy assured the girl.

"What about you? Is your Pikachu okay?" the girl asked as she looked Tintri over for injuries.

[Just a scrape where your Clefairy bumped me...] Tintri replied, showing the girl a small bump on his head.

"Here, let me kiss it and make it better, okay?" With that, the girl gently kissed Tintri on the head.

A guitar chord got the girl's and Ash's attention. Always friends, you and me, Brock sang to Whitney as he played.
    Together for--!

"Together for just a few minutes!" Misty sighed as she dragged Brock away, guitar and all.

The girl, however, stifled an embarrassed giggle. "That's the first time I've ever been sung to before..."

"Don't mind Brock, miss...he just has to sing to every pretty girl he can find, whether they want to hear him or not." Ash explained. "But put him on a stage, and he'll sing and tell stories for hours!"

"Better on a stage than to a girl he hardly knows..." Misty grumbled.

"Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing your guitar player friend sing." the girl confessed.

It dawned on the girl she had not introduced herself. "The name's Whitney, and this is Navi." she smiled, gesturing to her Clefairy."

"Nice to meet you..." Ash replied. "I'm Ash, and my companions Misty..." Misty waved hello. "and our resident balladeer and storyteller, Brock." Brock looked up from retuning a flat A string to wave hello.

"Nice to meet you all...got the chance to do any shopping yet?" Whitney asked.

"Would I ever!" Now Misty was excited, forgetting all about Brock's attempted performance as she pictured SALE signs, shoes, purses, and bath supplies.

"Sure!" Ash was equally excited, but his shopping daydreams were populated by video games, DVDs, comic books, action figures, and RC cars.

"All right--the Galeria d'Oro is this way, so come with me!" Whitney motioned for the group to follow her down the crowded street.

About then, Brock had finished retuning. "What kind of a song would you like to hear, Miss Whitney?" he asked, believing Whitney to still be present.

He noticed Whitney, Ash, and Misty about to round a corner. "Hey, wait for me!" he called as he quickly put away his instrument and raced to catch up.

---------

"Okay, gang...the Galaria is far easier to get to if you take an underground path." Whitney explained as the group followed her into a tunnel that led beneath the city. "In fact, the tunnels often double as a mall itself!"

"If you don't mind my asking, how did you discover this?" Misty asked as she admired the tunnel's checkered tile floor.

"I discovered the route by myself." Whitney replied. "It was a total accident!"

"We were really lucky to find Whitney as a guide..." Misty smiled.

"If Whitney's that great a guide, then why has she led us down the same path four times in a row?" Brock asked as the group found their way back to the tunnel entrance for the fifth time.

"Um, my fault!" Whitney blushed. "I forgot you make a left down the end of the hallway, not right!"

"If strategy guides exist in real life, we may need one to make it through here..." Ash muttered as they followed Whitney down the tunnel, passing by many doors in the walls on the way.

"That's why I picked up a map of the tunnel on the way in." Misty assured Ash, showing him a folded up map of the city's massive tunnel complex. "To cross reference Whitney's directions, and gently correct her if she gets it wrong."

"Okay...this should be the right way into the Galeria...we should come out in the food court." Whitney explained.

"Great--after we get some food, I wanna see if GameWorld has any copies of Zelda left!" Ash smiled.

He explained to Brock and Misty "Mom surprised me with a Nintendo 64 as a reward for winning the Orange Conference, and I told her I'd come back with a copy of Zelda!"

"I've heard from some reliable sources that Ocarina of Time has earned perfect tens from some reputable magazines and gaming sites--so you owe it to yourself to find a copy." Brock grinned.

But the group balked when they saw they had walked into a beauty salon, with both people and Pokémon getting cuts, trims, styles, and perms. "Hello! How can we assist you today!" a young boy asked as he prepped a chair for the next customer.

"Fancy letting us work some magic on your Pikachu and your Clefairy?" an elder boy smiled.

Tintri pictured himself with permed fur and shuddered. Navi was equally embarrassed as she imagined herself with wavy fur. "Um, that's okay, we're not interested at the moment--thanks!" Ash stammered as the group dashed back out to the tunnel, Tintri and Navi in tow.

---------

"If we don't get to the mall, and fast, we're gonna starve." Ash grumbled as the group trudged through the tunnel.

"Either that, or we'll find the right entrance ourselves." Misty was equally annoyed as she heard Ash's stomach growl.

"Okay...third time's the charm!" Whitney smiled as she opened a third door...which led into a hallway leading to the Galeria food court!

She made a grand gesture to some doors at the end of the hallway. "I'll lead the way in--these are automatic!"

A "UWAAA!!!" and the squeak of Whitney sliding off the door got Brock's attention. "You okay?" he asked as Whitney popped back into 3D on the floor.

"Yeah--forgot it's the main entrance that's automatic." Whitney weakly replied as she rubbed her head. "But nothing serious--it's not the first door I've crashed into!"

Brock opened the door. "Ladies first." he smiled, allowing Whitney and Misty inside before he and Ash followed them.

"FINALLY!" Ash heaved a huge sigh of relief at the utopia of fast food and neon lights before him, never mind Whitney's mishap with the doors earlier.

"It doesn't look too terribly busy, so go get something, and I'll stake out a table for you." Whitney assured the group as they went their separate ways to partake in the many options the food court and the mall itself had to offer.

---------

"So did GameWorld have any copies of Zelda left?" Brock asked as the group reunited at a table near a fountain with their food and a few purchases.

"Yeah--I got one of the last few sparkly boxes with the gold cartridge!" Ash smiled showing his friends the sparkling gold box before returning it to the festively colored GameWorld bag he carried.

"You may want to hang onto that--the gold cartridges are something very special." Whitney smiled as she petted her Clefairy in between bites of Combusken lo mein.

After a while, as the group finished up their food, Ash asked Whitney "So, Whitney...can you ask the Gym Leader if I can battle him tomorrow?"

"No need to ask the Gym Leader--you're looking at her!" Whitney grinned, much to Ash's surprise!

To Be Continued...

20. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    Episode 54: A Goldenrod Opportunity (part 3)

Previously, on Pokémon Moonlight Silver...

After a while, as the group finished up their food, Ash asked Whitney "So, Whitney...can you ask the Gym Leader if I can battle him tomorrow?"

"No need to ask the Gym Leader--you're looking at her!" Whitney grinned, much to Ash's surprise!

"Representing the Gold side, our leader, Whitney!" a dark brown haired referee announced, to Misty and Brock's applause as Whitney waved to the audience of two. "And representing the Silver side, the challenger Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town!"

"Bring it on!" Ash challenged.

"Thank you, Brittany." Whitney smiled at the referee before explaining the rules. "Okay, here's how this is gonna work... we will battle in a three-on-three match, with a Plain Badge as your prize if you beat me, okay?"

"Got it!" Ash replied.

"Is everyone ready?" Brittany asked. Both Whitney and Ash cheered in reply. "All right...three...two...one..."

As soon as the whistle echoed through the Gym, Whitney summoned a tiny pink and yellow cat Pokémon with a large tail. "Tsuki, here we go!"

"Cyndy, I choose you!" Ash commanded. Once Cyndy was before him, he read up on his opponent:

"Skitty, the kitten Pokémon. An exotic Pokémon from the Houen region, it is said to be difficult to earn its trust. However, it is extremely popular for its cute looks and behavior.

"Heh...it is kinda cute." Ash smiled as the small Pokémon licked itself for a moment.

"Tsuki, Tackle!" Whitney's command snapped him back to reality.

"Cyndy, have that Skitty run into a wall of fire!" he commanded. He smirked confidently as the tiny cat Pokémon charged into the stream of fire, only to faint when the flames cleared some moments later.

"Wow! That was almost a little TOO quick!" Even Brock was impressed.

Whitney was shocked that her Skitty had been defeated. "Wow...you're the first one that defeated Tsuki from the get go..."

She looked over at her Clefairy. "Navi, your turn!"

[All right!] Navi replied as she hurried into the arena and started swaying her fingers in time to a beat only she seemed to hear.

Ash froze in fear when he saw the Clefairy's fingers. Metronome can call upon any attack, including attacks the user doesn't know!

"Cyndy, be prepared for anything!" he called, hoping to Arceus that Navi didn't get a chance to use a powerful move like Mystical Fire or Meteor Mash.

He braced himself for a powerful attack, but Misty and Brock laughing from the stands clued him in that Navi was using Splash.

[Here you were getting all panicked over nothing!] Cyndy sighed. [Now, let's finish the job!]

"Okay! Cyndy, use Flamethrower again!" Ash commanded.

"Navi!" Whitney gasped as she saw the oncoming wave of flames headed at Navi. "Navi, come back!"

"Gold withdraws Navi from battle." Brittany announced as Cyndy's Flamethrower attack impacted on the Gold safety barrier, where Navi had been minutes before. "Gold now has one Pokémon remaining."

A huge smile formed on Ash's face. I literally cannot believe this good luck I'm having...I've got the Plain Badge in the bag now!

Whitney noticed Ash's confident smile. "I wouldn't get too comfy, because I have one Pokémon left--and it's also my strongest."

With that, she heaved a Poké Ball skyward. "Daisy, showtime!"

Never seen this one before... Ash mused as he read up on the large pink cow Pokémon before him:

"Miltank, the milk cow Pokémon. Its milk is packed with nutrition, making it the ultimate drink for the sick or weary.

"Doesn't look like the type to battle...." Ash mused as he put Dexter away.

"Ah, but if those she loves are threatened, Daisy will hit and hit hard!" Whitney warned as she watched her Miltank power towards the Silver side of the arena, rolling so quick, she seemed to be a literal ball of energy.

"Cyndy--!" Ash called, but all he could do was watch as Daisy slammed straight into Cyndy, sending her flying into the Silver safety barrier and landing at his feet. "You okay, Cyndy?"

[I think so...] Cyndy groaned as she eased herself to her feet. [That's gonna hurt tomorrow...]

"Got enough in you for a counterattack?" Ash asked.

[I can try...] Cyndy groaned.

"If you can, try and Tackle that Miltank!" Ash commanded.

[HAH!!!] Cyndy barreled at the rolling Miltank, but the Tackle and the Rollout collided at the same time. While the force of the impact merely made Daisy slide back a few inches, Cyndy went flying into the safety barrier a second time.

In the stands, Brock noticed Daisy had used the momentum from the collision to turn around. "Ash! Cyndy can't take any more! You need to switch out, and fast!"

Both Misty and Brock winced at the THWACK! of the Miltank impacting something and the KA-WANG! of Cyndy hitting the Silver safety barrier again. "Too late..." Misty noted as the dust cleared to reveal Cyndy with swirly eyes at Ash's feet.

Ash fought back tears as he examined his fainted Cyndaquil. "You gave your all, Cyndy...return."

Focus, Ash. he reminded himself before taking his second Poké Ball. "River, i need your help!"

"Daisy, use Rollout again!" Whitney called.

Ash braced himself for the Miltank speeding towards his Marill. "River, try Water Gun!"

Whitney giggled at Ash's panicked face as the Water Gun splattered against Daisy. "This is why I love Rollout--the longer it goes, the stronger it gets!"

River's a sitting Psyduck! Ash panicked. "River, look out!"

He winced as River also went flying at the safety barrier, only to land swirly eyed at his feet. She never had a chance! There HAS to be a way to stop this Miltank...but how?

A whistle got his attention, where he saw Brock drawing a jagged outline in the air with his finger, as if mimicking a lightning strike. Of course...River did manage to get Daisy wet, so I'll give that a shot.

He looked over at Tintri. "How bout it? Think you can paralyze it with a Thunderbolt?"

[I'll give it my best shot!] Tintri replied as he bounded off Ash's shoulder and fired the largest Thunderbolt he could muster at the spinning Miltank, but the Miltank didn't even bet an eye.

"I will give you credit for a smart idea, but Daisy is spinning so fast, she's already dry." Whitney smiled.

"Okay, Tintri, new plan--use Agility to try to outrun Daisy!" Ash commanded.

But all he could do was watch as Daisy slammed into Tintri with a direct hit. Tintri then flying into the Silver safety barrier himself. But could hardly attempt to get up before Daisy hit him again, leaving Tintri battled and beaten at Ash's feet. [Ash...I'm...sorry...] he wheezed.

"Tintri!" Ash screamed.

"Silver is unable to battle--Gold wins the match!" Brittany announced.

"Daisy, return." Whitney commanded, recalling the Miltank. "Well fought, Ash--I have to commend your heroic effort."

She motioned for Navi to follow her as she started towards the Gym entrance. "If you ever want a rematch, I'll be more than happy to give you one!"

Hot tears welled up in Ash's eyes as Whitney and Navi departed. A rematch would be pointless. he thought as he studied the heavily battered Pikachu in his arms.

He unleashed a loud growl of frustration. "Arceus in heaven, hear my prayer!" he pleaded to no one in particular as Misty and Brock joined him on the arena floor. "Whitney and her Miltank are far too powerful, and I don't have a clue how I'm going to defeat them! Grant me some advice, or a clue!"

To Be Continued...