1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokemon Names in Other Languages!

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Pixel, May 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Ah, Pokémon. There are 802 of them, and each of they have they're own unique name. Some are cool, others are lame, but what about Pokémon names in other languages?

Personally, my favourite non-English Pokémon name is Talonflame's. Now, let's dissect the name "Talonflame" here, and you'll see we have "talon" and "flame", which makes sense for a bird that has the ability to create fire. But, in Japanese, Talonflame's name is ファイアロー (fah-ee-a-roh, spelt Fiarrow), which seems to be a combination of "fire" and "arrow". Now, Talonflame literally has nothing to do with arrows or archery, but the name, Fiarrow, just sounds so cool!

Another favourite of mine is Bulbasaur's Japanese name, フシギダネ (fu-shi-gee-dah-neh, spelt Fushigidane), which when translated means "mysterious (fushigi), isn't it? (dane?)", which I think is really cool for no real reason, it's just cool to me!

What are your favourite Pokémon names in other languages? Or, if you don't have any, your favourite Pokémon names in English!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I always liked Sylveon's japanese name: Ninfia. Also Chespin's japanese name is a lot of fun to say! Harimaron!

I have a habit of forgetting that Nyasper is not in fact Espurr's english name.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I second what Aerohail said about Ninfia, I guess it just really grew on me since I was using that name for a while before I knew it's english name. I guess I can't really comment on any others though since I don't ever hear their alternate names.

4. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I have a strange fun in seeing German Pokémon names over the WT. They often sound so cute. Also Leafia and Ninfia are such cute names. Then again most Eeveelutions have cute Japanese names. I am not that fond of the name Blacky though, I like the French Noctali for Umbreon though.

5. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I really like Ashimari, which is Popplio's Japanese name. It makes Popplio sound so cute and smol, and SO ADORABLE! :love: :love: :love:

6. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Warfii for Rockuff in German is sooooo Cute.

7. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    Seismitoad's French name is... Crapustle. It's just so amusing to me that I can't help but love it.
    Being serious, though, one of my favorites is "Mimigma" for Mimikyu. It sounds a little more ominous than its English name, and adds another layer to the mysterious nature of the creature underneath the Pikachu rags.

8. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I find it hilarious that Gardevoir's Japanese name is Sirnight. Way to make Gallade question what he is.

9. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Gen 1 names in Japanese are... boring. Articuno is called "Freezer." Creative.

Also Vaporeon being Showers, Flareon being Booster, stuff like that. Good job.

10. ConfettiCat

ConfettiCat ( ☞ゝω・)☞

PokéPoints:
    ₽564.8
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I like the Japanese name for Rowlet, Mokurou. It's a combination of the words "moku" (wood) and "fukurou" (owl) which I think is neat.

Also, I'd like to point out, in Japanese Arceus is pronounce a-ru-se-u-su (Ar-say-us), so that makes me wonder why in English they sometimes pronounce it as Ar-kee-us.

11. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    Pidgey's first appearance on the first episode here in Brazil, was, if I recall correctly, Pombo. Translator thought they kept saying "pidgeon, apparently".

12. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I really like Charizard's Japanese name Lizardon for some reason. I just like the sound of it.
    I also like:
    Ruffresia more than Vilplume
    Mimilop (just a little) more than Lopunny. Just a little, because I still like Lopunny's English name.
    Archeos more than Archeops.
    Chillaccino more than Cinccino.
    Junaiper more than Decidueye. I always though Decidueye's English name was weird.

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    To quote Serebii: "Its [Mega Aggron's] Japanese name is MEGA BOSSGODORA. Aggron is a lame name."

14. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    I like fennekin's japanese name: fokko. Its cute!
    Fennekin's french name, fynx, sounds cute too!
    Flareon's japanese name, booster, sounds cool too.

15. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,620.6
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I love Greninja’s japanese name, Gekkouga. And I dunno why, but it sounds like a good japanese last name to me.

That’s not French, it’s German x)
    The French name is Feunnec.

16. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Yes, sorry.

17. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    Wobbuffet and Wynat are personally my favorites
    Wobbuffet in Japanese is Sonans which means "That's the way it is"
    Wynat in Japanese is Sohnano which sounds like sonano which means "Really?"
    These came from a Japanese comedy skit where a infinite conversation continues on with "Really?" "That's the way it is." over and over (akin to the old Abbott and Costello skit of 'Who's on first?' "The name of the first baseman is 'Who'.")

18. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I think it's funny that in another language, German I think, Charizard is actually named Salamence.

19. LovableLuxray

LovableLuxray Ace Trainer

Amy
    (Shinx)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽126.1
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    In German, Flareon's name is Flamara, which I think sounds nice.