1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Manga Pokémon RéBURST

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by BZRich64, Sep 19, 2019.

1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    The Pokémon franchise is no stranger to experimentation and trying out new things. These attempts usually result in very strange parts of the franchise that feel like a huge departure from what we generally expect from the franchise and that usually end up quickly fading into obscurity and only being remembered as a minor curiosity. One of the seemingly most random of these ventures was a short lived manga series released shortly after Pokémon Black and Pokémon White first came out called Pokémon RéBurst. It was a series that I never had the chance to read myself (mostly because it was never officially released outside of Japan), but immediately caught my attention the moment I first heard about it and continues to leave me scratching my head to this day.

The story follows Ryouga, a boy with superhuman strength and spiky green hair, as he goes on a quest to find his missing father. Along the way he makes new friends, fights an evil organization trying to exploit Pokémon for their own gain, standard Pokémon stuff. Well, not quite so standard. You see, rather than training Pokémon to battle the way that characters normally do in this franchise, the characters in RéBurst utilize an ability called Burst. Using items known as Burst Hearts, small crystals that contain a Pokémon sealed within them, characters are able to temporarily fuse with those Pokémon to gain their powers and abilities! Yes, you read that right. "Burst Warriors" as they are called, can turn themselves into human/Pokémon hybrids in order to battle directly rather than use Pokémon to battle for them. Rouga even starts out with Zekrom, a legendary Pokémon!

Were you already aware of this bizarre series existence, or is this your first time hearing about it? Do you like the idea of Burst, or do you think it was a mistake? Should they bring back this series or at least the concepts used in it, or do you think that everything about RéBURST should be left forgotten and never revisited?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽993.1
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    I knew of it thanks to Bulbapedia. Outside of that, though, I'm not entirely familiar with it. Though, I really do love the concept of the manga as a whole, as a nice twist on the formula that PMD rightfully set, and I'd love to see this idea come back to us in some way, shape or form.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...