1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spoilers Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by BZRich64, Mar 3, 2022.

1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    (The Original Version of this thread was lost when the site crashed, so let's try this again.)
    [​IMG]
    The Pokémon company recently announced a new pair of Pokémon games titled Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet! These games are set in a Spain-inspired region. Little is known about the games so far, though the player character wears what appears to be a school uniform with different colors depending on version. This suggests the games may involve the player may be attending one of two rival schools that are exclusive to each version, though that is purely speculative at this point.
    [​IMG]
    The starter Pokémon (and only new Pokémon revealed so far) are the Grass type feline Sprigatito, the Fire-type pepper crocodile Fuecoco, and the dapper Water-type duck Quaxly.

You trailer is currently available on Pokémon's official Youtube channel.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ThomasP

ThomasP PKMN Breeder

Eelie
    (Tynamo)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,408.7
    Do you think that Greninja and Dracovish will appear in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet because of their popularity among fans? Why?

3. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Oh boy, Gen 9!

Lot of people have been saying that this game is coming a bit early and that it's weird we're getting a Gen 9 so soon after Legends Arceus released, but I don't see it that way. Legends Arceus was Game Freak's 2021 game, it just got pushed back to 2022 because of ILCA releasing the much awaited Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl that needed to be out by the holidays. I imagine they would have rather pushed Legends Arceus back than BDSP forward because of how excited people would have been for Gen 4 remakes and how cautious they would have wanted to be about trying something new. I dunno, could easily be wrong about that.

Starters look really interesting. Sprigatito is the only one that feels "normal," the other two are very unique for what Game Freak would normally go for and it's really cool. I don't have a favorite really, but I do have the most high hopes for Fuecoco being my favorite when we get the final stages. I think all of them hold a lot of potential and could all be very good, but the fact that I liked all three Galar starters and only one ended up not being awful to me is pretty foreboding...

The graphics look a lot better but I don't like how the faces look and some textures are still really rough. Mostly the textures of the environments, like in SwSh people complained a lot about trees but stuff like the ground and the sides of mountains also looked pretty rough. This game seems to be pretty similar, although everything about the game does look better. At the very least this tells me that Game Freak does care about graphics and will probably end up pleasing the fans who care about this at some point.

Also, pretty common opinion, but can I just say...these are the most boring and generic looking protagonists I've ever seen? The male protagonist has a white button up shirt, similarly basic shorts, and the most basic looking hairstyle imaginable...and the female protagonist is literally the same as the male one but with a braid. I don't know what kind of change in thought process lead to this, but I'm hoping that the character customization is good in this game.

Big surprise here as well, new regional gimmick practically confirmed by Japan's logos for the games and common trends with past gens. Ugh. Not a single one of these has worked for me in the past and I highly doubt any new ones will. A few people have been saying it will have something to do with typing, but I haven't really bought any of the reasonings I've seen. I honestly just hope it's as broken as Dynamax so Smogon can get rid of it and we can have another normal, gimmickless meta.

Not really much else to say. Open world is cool but not something I care about too much, although some of the landscapes they showed do look interesting.

4. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    How SwSh was handled by the social media team + the big graphics vs 'nat dex' controversy has made me very hesitant to buy Pokémon shortly after it's out (I now prefer watching people (more than just one to avoid any bias) play the game and decide for myself if it's worth getting or not- such as me deciding SwSh wasn't worth it, especially with the pricey DLC that came later)
    Now then, this.. this has me a bit hyped honestly. I'm not going back on my new 'look into the gameplay first by multiple people' mindset, but I have no hard feelings or outright worries for this game. The graphics look great, the trainers are a neat change of pace (legit look like kids instead of the previous MCs looking like older teens). It's clear that the Pokémon Snap artists/devs are here and I'm excited to see the scenery and new Pokémon textures!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. eeveefanatic

eeveefanatic School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽601.4
    leafia i’ll choose you

6. ThomasP

ThomasP PKMN Breeder

Eelie
    (Tynamo)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,408.7
    Do you think that all the Pokémon that have faded into obscurity or have not become popular will be written out of the mainstream franchise of Pokémon so that there won't be any National Pokédex anymore, while only all the popular Pokémon will return in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet? If so, do you think that there are some popular Pokémon that will however be written out script due to any reason that you explain? Please let me know, thanks.:)

7. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,996.0
    They said back during Sword and Shield's development that what Pokémon will be available in each new set of games will be determined based off of what would make sense for that reason. So, while a lot of Pokémon are definitely going to be cut for Scarlet and Violet, popularity and whether or not they were already available likely won't factor in to whether or not they will be available. So expect to see a lot of "Pokémon that have faded into obscurity" show up in these games while plenty of popular Pokémon likely won't be available.

8. eeveefanatic

eeveefanatic School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽601.4
    leafia i’ll choose you

9. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,343.1
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    New trailer dropped!

What are your thoughts on it and the new Pokémon within?

Personally I want an army of Lechonks. Also the legendaries look pretty cool, I like the ancient vs future look and the almost fence lizard like design with the throat pouches.

10. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,326.3
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    SMOLIV. That is all I have to say. Thank you.

In all seriousness, I really like the new mons they showed off! The legends in particular definitely look very Legendary to me, especially compared to past ones like Spectrier, Calyrex and Kubfu which really could just be "Kinda Rare Pokémon You Only Get One Of".
    The naming schemes of Lechonk and Smoliv though are making me actually lose my mind though. Who let the Internet memes into the localization team. WHO

11. Jeydis

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,343.1
    NEW TRAILER DROP YO!

New gimmick seems interesting if a bit...erratic? Definitely going to give a broad range of options in competitive battles (strong feeling Smogon is going to nope out of this one as well). New Pokémon are looking pretty cute so far, curious to see more evolved forms. Something I was surprised by as well, is it just me or the NPC designs are really good? Not that they were awful previously but I find that these have a great look to them and show some originality/personality.

12. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,884.6
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I love the new dog pokemons name. And it looks pretty cute as well.

13. brsajo

brsajo Idioddish

Sproot
    (Oddish)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,218.2
    Gotta say, they've been on-point with the Pokémon names so far!

14. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Based on the new trailer, my team will look something like Fuecoco, Smoliv, Lechonk, Fidough, and Cetitan. Of course I might change my mind on some picks depending on future Pokémon reveals and evolutions.

I honestly don't like the new type mechanic very much. It makes Pokémon's default typing feel kind of pointless. On top of that it will make battles harder to predict since you won't know what type your opponent is until they activate the feature. I'll probably stick with older gens of competitive play if this isn't banned. On the bright side it does make Pokémon with terrible typings like Abomasnow and Frosmoth a chance to fight.

15. Jeydis

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,343.1
  16. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Apologies for the late post here,

But the more I see of Gen 9 the more intrigued I am by it. I hope it turns out good, chances are when I get one it's gonna be Scarlet.