1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokémon Violet Sky DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by hunduel, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmeraldGlee

EmeraldGlee DESPAIR FOR ME!

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    The whole artwork thing would be cool, but we would surely need a whole lot more artists for this. We can't just use the original artwork for good reason. Maybe make the artwork sprite-like to keep the feel of the game, even if they aren't necessarily the sprites themselves.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I agree with this fully, the sprites just seem a bit too small atm, a tiny cut scene would be amazing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Potatrobot

Potatrobot Resident Potato

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    On the topic of breeding, if the feature is too fussy then can't it just be lifted out of a recent game? Or is that on a similar level of fussiness?

4. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Okay, it's time for the responses!

@Breeding: It can be done, however, I just don't like the idea of it. Even thought it was included in Gen 2, it's still one of the features highly criticized by the players. There is a reason why it is not included in any MMO version of the game: the mechanism is broken, as it makes every Pokémon common, except the legendaries. It's not only about the rare Pokémon like Eevee or Lapras, but makes it easier to get shinies in the original games. So, all in all, there are pros and cons why it should be included or not included. HOWEVER... there could be a twist in the system. I can write the script that if NOT pure Pokémon (like 2 Eevees) were bred, then the result would be a fusion itself! So for example, if you breed a Vulpix and and an Eevee, you'd get a different looking Eevee, which still could be evolved by Evo Stones, however, the result in looking would be different. These fusions would be "sterile", so they couldn't be used for breeding themselves, so you'd need 2 types of a Pokémon if you want to breed something.

@Battle System: There are two things I can do about the sprites:
    - Make them bigger: they'd have a bit more pixels, but they'd be bigger at the same time.
    - Using artworks. Xous's sprites could be used, however, in this case, we'd need to make back artworks for the Pokémon, or our own Pokémon cannot be seen.

Just to show another sprite, which is bigger (but in the same style):

[​IMG]

Here's the variant mentioned before (credit goes to Xous for the awesome Pikachu art!)

[​IMG]

I still need to think about how the two could be mixed, if it's possible, but these are the current variants I can do. (Or one thing: using arts like these instead of sprites. That's the only method I have in my mind at the moment.)

@Art: The battle backgrounds will be changed, they are just examples, however, I like the style of the current game. I don't think it should look exactly like as a Pokémon game. Don't forget that Fire Red/Leaf Green have much more pixels, while the others are hard to find or handle. It's still up to you to decide if you want the current one, or a totally new one, more fitting to the classic style.

5. EmeraldGlee

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    Hey, about this kind of style for the battle sprites?

[​IMG]

Like a fusion between art and spriting. I really love the sprite-feel of the Pokémon games and this would be big enough too. And enlarging sprites don't really look good, you know?

(Excuse the crap spriting art, I'm not really a spriter. And yeah, it had to be a Whimsicott. XD)

6. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Thank you Xous again for the awesome art!

[​IMG]

EDIT: That half-pixel style art looks cool too, Emerald! I think it's up to the others to decide which one to use. :)

7. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I think both look great, but I'm leaning more to a half pixel side of things. I think again this would take a while, but I do think it would be worth it. Xous might not be too keen on us just using his art like that anyways, but either way I think the half pixel style works.

8. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Of course, not only Xous's artworks could be used, I know several artists in deviantArt who would allow the use of his artworks in that way. And if I remember well, Xous changed his policy so - as long as it's credited and not claimed as self-work - his artworks are allowed to use.

Also, a quick shot: I doubled the size of a sprite, and made a screenshot so you can compare the two styles next to each other. The background is just some basic random stuff.

[​IMG]

9. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    I like it, though I'm not a huge fan of how Zapdos looks, just seems a bit too blurry and stretched. I also ask, will you be using official Pokémon backgrounds and Pokémon sprite houses/maps ect or just the default RPG maker ones? I know it's still early days though.

10. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Yeah, that's the problem if you're doubling the size of a sprite: it becomes blurry. At the moment, I don't have any official sprites and/or backgrounds, but I don't plan to use them for two reasons. First of all, using RTP (the default one) is easier to use, even for you if you want to add something to it (like plus graphics). The other one is because of copyright issues: in this case, we'd only use the name for our fan game, any other things wouldn't be official resources. I don't think Nintendo would do anything because of we're making a fun game, but if they do, it'd be because of the use of official sprites, not because of making a fan game.

(Obviously, the main reason is that I think using the default would be better and I'm lazy to convert all graphics to the system :P. But if it's REALLY important not just for you, but for everyone in the community, then we can do it, of course.)

Oh, and one thing: Can we add Honoguma to the game? (The Fakemon/unreleased Pokémon in my avatar.)

11. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Ah well, I was mainly thinking of using official since the current ones like the houses don't seem too Pokémon like which may be a problem. Any way to make them a bit closer without using official sprites? And sure, we could add it. Would be better to think of an English name for it though and it's stats/typing ect.

12. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    In fact, these are already modified tilesets, so the originals are a bit less "detailed", but maybe because of it, they resembles more to the original sprites! Some minor modifyings and it will fit with the original style. I don't like the "grind-grasses", so they will be modified, but I've already found some Poké-ish grasses for that task. They're a bit too green, but it can be easily re-colored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Honoguma: The name is from the words "hono" (flame) and "kuma" (bear), so if we want to do a pun, it could be named as Mulcibear, since "mulciber" is a word for fire and the god Vulcan in latin. I'll do the details for tomorrow.

EDIT: Of course, it's up to you (not just Ben, but everyone) to decide which design do you prefer! :) The "original" one? (Posted in this post). The modified version? (In the first page). Or do you want the original graphics?

13. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    I prefer the original. The overworld sprites themselves will be replaced, correct? Since we'll have our own trainers and such.

14. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    One thing I'm curious about, will you be able to implement a 'PP per move' battling system just like with Pokémon, or will you be forced with RPG maker to rely on the standard 'mana pool' system with an MP value that gets spent on moves which have various MP costs? If possible I think it would be best to go with the 'PP per move' system and keep it as close to an actual Pokémon game as you can.

15. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Yeah, I really want to make it so it's PP per move system. That's my final decision unless it can't be changed.

16. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Power Points of moves will be implemented.

17. Pokechu

Pokechu Hex Maniac

Belle
    (Buneary)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽69.6
    I actually prefer the RPG game sprites, makes the game unique. :o
    Nice work though, Sheodon! I like what youre doing with this game ouo
    And I would LOVE it if some canceled Pokémon made it in the game, like Honoguma.
    If possible though, I think it would make sense if Pikachu evolved into Honoguma, since they look SO MUCH alike. (Well, imo atleast xD).
    The method used could be something like fire stone on Pikachu or something else. It would be kinda odd since Honoguma is obviously a fire type, but it would be cool imo, xD.
    Or just make a fakemon pre-evo, since he does look like a final evo. Alas though, this is only my opinion xD.

Also, I have a suggestion; your Pokémon can follow you. This would be a nice feature, since many people liked their Pokémon following them.
    I found a code that allows how many party members you can have outside of battle. It seems like a VX Ace code though, but it might work on xp too, just might. Idunno, since I only have ace xD.
    #=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    # - General Party Settings -
    # In this section, you can adjust the general party settings for your game
    # such as the maximum amount of members and whatnot, the EXP rate for
    # party members in the reserve, etc.
    MAX_BATTLE_MEMBERS = 5 # Maximum party members. Default: 4
    SPLIT_EXP = false # Splits EXP with more members in the party.
    RESERVE_EXP_RATE = 0.50 # Reserve EXP Rate. Default: 1.00

# If you wish to be able to change the maximum number of battle members
    # during the middle of your game, set this constant to a variable ID. If
    # that variable ID is a number greater than 0, that variable will determine
    # the current maximum number of battle members. Be cautious about using
    # this during battle.
    MAX_MEMBERS_VARIABLE = 0
    Thats part of the WHOLE code. The whole code does something like this: http://rpgmaker.net/scripts/65/
    I think we wouldn't need ALL of that, but that's why I posted the link; so you could see how it could work out :o

Also, this one seems pretty cool, too :o
    We could use this http://yanflychannel...-battle-engine/ to work out like back sprites (I think, :o. If im wrong, then I'm probably going to look stupid, xD. I don't really code, aside from an occasional flash game from time to time, so please don't expect these to be right :o ). Though, these are only suggestions, the Pokémon following you one would be a nice addition :o
    Even though you could already probably do all of this stuff, I just found these scrolling around the internet, for my own RPG VX Ace game. I might get back to work on it, Idunno, xD.

Stil, if you have found these, then nvm xD.
    If these don't just plain out work for XP, then you can just ignore this xD.
    (Owait, these MIGHT only be for VX Ace. If so, delete this post, please xD. Oh, and on the first code, I think the max_battle member thingy might change how much appear overworld :o, though it doesnt have to be added. We would have to make overworld sprites for every Pokémon, so that would take awhile :o )

18. EmeraldGlee

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    So many yeses on the following Pokémon thing! Again, more work, since battle and overworld sprites would be different, but it would be so cool! :D Oh, and I'm not really keen on the overworld right now. I would really prefer it to look more like the original, since we are already changing so many things, it would be nice to keep some familiarity.

19. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Yeah, I agree with Emerald, when I had a vision in mind it was certainly to make it as close to the usual Pokémon game as possible, some familiarity will be lovely!

20. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    Pokémon following you is added. However, I'll need overworld sprites for them in order to use them effectively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.