1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokémon Yellow. Evolving Pikachu?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Nate, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    So Pokémon Yellow was made to be like the anime in many ways. You start with a Pikachu, most gym leaders have similar teams to their anime counterparts, and the sprites overall look closer to the Pokémon in the anime. (no more ugly Red/Blue/Green sprites). Because of this you also couldn't use a Thunderstone on Pikachu as it would refuse. However, if you traded PIkachu to a friend and had them use a Thunderstone on the Pikachu and they traded it back you could evolve your starter. Have any of you done this, or does it not feel right to you? After all, Pikachu no longer follows you.

I personally just did this in Pokémon Yellow for the Virtual Console. I love evolving my Pokémon so I traded my Pikachu to my brother to evolve. It is pretty weird not having Pikachu follow me but I really like Raichu so it's worth it to me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I've never done this, because I've never played a copy of Yellow where I could trade, but I don't think it's right. I mean, the game's title is literally "Pokémon: Special Edition Pikachu". However, with the way Gen I is set out, I can totally see why someone would evolve their Pikachu into a Raichu; the only other Electric-types are Electrode, Jolteon, Electabuzz and Zapdos (from memory), and Raichu is probably one of the better ones.

But will you be able to play the Surfing Pikachu mini-game, which works in the VC version without having a Surf Pikachu, now? I don't think it'll work, so that's a miss...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    It feels wrong to evolve Pikachu in Pokémon Yellow. I mean you build such a strong bond with it and it's a complete shame to see it not behind you, cheering you on. Yellow was one of my favorite games because of all the love and support I shared with my pikachu. I don't think I could ever evolve the Pokémon Yellow Pikachu.

4. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    I accidentally made my Pikachu forget Thundershock so it was of no use to me anymore so I dumped it in a box... Oops.
    Maybe it's because I missed out on the "real" hype about Pokémon Yellow and the Pikachu stuff (I believe I was barely one year old back then), but I don't think having Pikachu around all the time is that important. Everyone should just build the team they like. If that includes Pikachu, then go ahead. If it doesn't, go ahead as well.
    As for not being able to evolve your Pikachu, I don't believe this is necessary for the game. I mean, it's your Pikachu right? If you want to evolve it, then you should.

..all this is IMO of course. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

5. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,410.7
    I'm deeply offended OMG

Looking at how other people view it, I feel kind of heartless, because I wouldn't hesitate to make Pikachu stronger. It wouldn't be beyond trading a Pikachu and evolving it with a ThunderStone just to make it more powerful, that's the point of the Pokémon games: to get stronger while building good bonds. As far as the game is aware, Pikachu's still happy, it is just now a Raichu. Although having Pikachu following you is a nice novelty, I think I would rather have a Pokémon that it could handle itself better in battle. Call me heartless, but I feel that if you wanted to truly bond with Pokémon, you'd just do it through fanfiction or the Generation 6 Amie.

The game doesn't want us to evolve it.​
    >:D But there is always a way >:D

6. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    I personally don't even use raichu on my team. I just evolved my eevee into jolteon and boxed my pikachu.

I guess that's kinda cold seeing as the game is literally the pikachu addition, but pikachu just isn't great enough in later game to be worth keeping. Though it's cute to see it walk around behind you, I like being able to actually use that party slot for something strong better than I like seeing a cute sprite.

7. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Nightmare Tala

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽17,057.9
    King's Rock ★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Darkinum Z ★★★★
    I actually tried it sometimes in the days I still had my GBC, however I love the part from following ya and checking how it feels like.
    And when ya put it in a box that sad sound it made, for some reason always broke my heart.
    I guess Yellow is my second fav along with Blue. And now on the 3ds I have pkm Yellow again and having a lot fun
    feeling it wrong? who knows, it all what everyone knows, personally I would never do it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.