1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokémon you think is typed wrong

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Hraesvelgr, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,046.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Just like the topic title says. Is there any Pokémon you think is typed wrong? If so which ones and why?

I'll start out by saying I think Gyarados is wrongly typed, pretty sure many will agree. But despite what Gyarados is modeled after. I honestly think the flying type they slapped on him is way off, they could just have kept him pure water if they didn't wanted to give him dragon as secondary typing. That 4x weakness to electricity just seem very unnecessary when the flying typing doesn't even make sense at all, and just added dark type to him in gen 2 when it was released since its mega turned out to be part dark.

Then there's Flygon, I think it should have been bug instead of ground it looks like a dragonfly after all and its stage 1 evolution just further strengthen the impression that Flygon is really a dragonfly. Being part bug might even have given Flygon an advantage. It would be the only line with that typing plus its dragon type would protect it from the common fire moves and it wouldn't be 4x weak to ice. Yes it would be weak to rock and flying moves but I don't think that such a bad trade off imo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    There's a bunch of Pokémon that could've been typed better that I can't think of right now, but on Flygon's note, I think Zygarde should've been Bug/Ground. Honestly, the very first thing I thought when I saw Zygarde was "that thing has to be Bug". Do we even have a Bug type legendary Pokémon? I don't think so, and Zygarde would've been great for it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hraesvelgr

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,046.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    @[member="Astralogy"] We don't yes the closes we got is Genesect and that's technically not even a legendary, a bug type legendary would be nice. Zygarde's typing makes sense to me though. If you look at the other two, Yveltal and Xerneas. Yveltal is the eagle that sit in Yggdrasil's crown which is Xerneas and Zygarde is the wyrm Níðhöggr that gnaws on the roots of Yggdrasail. Wyrm is another word for dragon btw. Although I still wish it wasn't part ground because dragon/ground is such a boring combo.

4. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    I actually just came up with the one Pokémon whose typing bothers me far beyond anyone elses.

Goomy, as well as Sliggoo and Goodra.

Nothing, literally nothing, about these three Pokémon makes me think of a dragon. It's a slug, it's goo, it's more reminiscent of Muk than anything related to dragons. Goodra literally has a slimy liquid-ish fluid dripping from its arms in its animation. Who made this thing a pure Dragon type? Why not, at the very least, part Poison type? I could've understood any typing if it was paired with Poison (Poison/Fairy would've been interesting), but Dragon? Seriously?

5. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    Oh my goodness, I thought you meant like actually typed wrong. As in spelling-wise. Darn you Mesprit!

Anyhow, I've always had an issue with a bunch of the Normal/Flying Pokémon. Don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of Pokémon that make sense. However, I never understood how Staraptor was not a Fighting/Flying type. For that fact, why not Braviary as fighting/flying? I mean with Braviary being Mandibuzz's counterpart being Dark/Flying would be somewhat fair.

Also, HootHoot and Noctowl being Psychic/Flying would have been way better.

GF is trolling us with Normal/Flying. C'mon, who loves Normal/Flying THAT much?

Megarai111 likes this.
  6. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I think that all Normal-types, or part Normal, should have a different type. I mean, what is normal about them? A Pokémon like Ursaring should be Fighting-type, Skitty and Delcatty would make great Fairies, and the Whismur line could be the introduction of a Sound-type. And why is Arceus a Normal type? I mean, I understand it can get it's type changed, but why is it Normal as a base? Surely something as important as the PokeGod should have it's own type.

7. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    change pikachu's typing to electric/scrub please and thank you

With the inclusion of the Fairy-type, I think Celebi should have become a Grass/Fairy type. It really just looks like a pixie fairy to me (and there are already enough Psychic Legendaries).

Why is Palkia a Water type? That just never made sense to me. Water = space? I don't quite get it.

8. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    Samurott should be Water/Fighting. Seriously, if Poliwrath can be Water/Fighting, why not Samurott?

9. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,894.8
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I wasn't happy that Helioptile was part normal type, even after evolving, I don't think that it's necessarily wrong, but I think that he is super cute, but super weak because of that normal typing. Makes it hard for me to want to train one.

10. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    You're not the only one XD

I'd say Gastrodon. It doesn't really remind me of a Ground type. I think pure Water type would've been better for him.

Also, this:
    [​IMG]
    Too bad Celebi's a Mythical Pokémon. If it wasn't, I think Gamefreak would've definitely transformed it into a Fairy type too.

11. Nightmare Fredbear

Nightmare Fredbear Sikapin mo, pilitin mo. Tibayan ang iyong puso

PokéPoints:
    ₽47.7
    I honestly think that Goomy and Sliggoo could be Dragon/Bug type Pokémon. Goodra could be still single type.
    The same goes for Yamega.
    [​IMG]

12. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    Personally I think Granbull shouldn't be a fairy type or called the fairy Pokémon. It just makes absolutely zero sense to me. It's not a fairy Pokémon, it's a bulldog Pokémon. The only thing fairy about it is the pink coloring >.>

Luxray irritates me because it should really be electric/dark. It looks part dark type, it gets crunch to utilize the typing with. Why is it not part dark type?

13. Hraesvelgr

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,046.5
    @[member="shinygiratinaz"] Oh yeah totally agree with you on Granbull, not really what I would call a fairy. Maybe fighting type instead for granbull? It certainly looks like a mon that would be good at something like wrestling.

14. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    @[member="Karzarill"] I can see fighting type on Granbull. Even dark type would make sense to me, because bulldogs are often used as guard dogs and many people consider them scary. Fairy though. Why.

15. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    It's probably because Snubull is cute looking and might be a fairy dog, but then again they could have just chosen a weak Pokémon to give a buff to its typing.

16. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    Yeah, I knew Gamefreak would have to make Granbull a Fairy-type once Fairy-types were announced. It was their fault for calling it "The Fairy Pokémon" XD

Im not complaining, though. I mean, look at Clefable. Normal --> Fairy did wonders for it.

But yeah, Fighting or Dark typing still make more sense to me.

17. Catilena1890

Catilena1890 The Resident Kitty-Fox

PokéPoints:
    ₽31.0
    Why exactly is Dedenne part Fairy? Aside from the fact that all pikachu-clones are supposed to showcase the new thing about the generation they're a part of? At the very least, they could have given it some pixie wings, or a pink coloring. Maybe it'll get an evolution that will fit the typing better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed that the Goo's were pure Dragon, I would have liked a secondary water typing.

Altaria as a Dragon does not make a lot of sense to me either, though that's out of my personal bias that a bird can't be a dragon.

Empoleon, you're a penguin. Why is your secondary typing Steel? Why are you not an ice type?

Lucario's steel typing never made sense to me either, it seemed really random, existing only to make sure Lucario doesn't get OHKO'd by psychic types.

I feel like I'm missing some, but I'll think of them later.

18. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I thought and hoped so much that this would be the case. It could be an almost perfect counterpart to Houndoom, like Volkner and Flint tried to make them!

I agree with this entirely. All the normal-flying accomplishes is partially negating Flying's advantage over Fighting and giving them an extra source of STAB. This is at the cost of a lot of monotony, the single most common type combination by a factor of like twelve times the next most common (or so I estimate without any research.) Why not just make a well-chosen half of them pure flying? I see nothing wrong with that.

Things that haven't been mentioned yet:

- Haunter and Gengar: Okay, Ghastly is a cloud of poison gas, I can understand him being part Poison. But Haunter and Gengar simply are not! Nor do they have mention of venom or pollution. Maybe it helps to have types be consistent in an evo family though.
    - Volbeat and Illumise: It would have been nice to have some Bug-Electric types, and who better than a pair of fireflies!
    - Glalie: He seems to be made of rock and ice, so why not let him cash in on his other half?
    - Charizard and Sceptile: Also part Dragon. They're both draconic in form and attack capability, and in Smash Charizard isn't capable of long periods of flight, making him very not-flying. It would also deflect part of his Rock weakness, but I guess both of these were addressed somewhat by their Mega evolutions.
    - Raticate: I think he could stand to be Normal-Dark. Dark types seem to have an emphasis on biting attacks, and Raticate gets access to pretty much every biting/crunching/fanging attack out there. Plus, Team Rocket likes Dark types, don't they?
    - Porygon: He should certainly be at least part Electric, if not purely Electric. He is a computer program, born in cyberspace, made of electrons!
    - Golduck: Water-Psychic. I guess I was just always hoping that Psyduck's mental powers would develop more fully.

19. JirachiWish

JirachiWish You only get two wishes

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Hmm, I don't really understand why Jirachi is Steel but that's just me... I'd imagine him as being electric, fairy, or even normal along with psychic, but maybe that wouldn't match up very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.