1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

1x1 Pokemon: Following the Pearl Road (SAFxWavePearl)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by WavePearl, Mar 28, 2023.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

Our pearl collecting pilgrimage through a fantasy Paldea starts now!

In a fantastic Paldea far from the one we know, it is a custom and tradition for every resident to travel to the beautiful city of Sagrada once a year, and offer a basket of pearls and a prayer of peace to Arceus. But this is more than a leisurely trip across the region--many of Paldea's historic shrines house a cloister of trials, and worthy travelers (as those on this pilgrimage are called) must pass a trial in order to earn a pearl for their basket. Exactly how many pearls one should offer Arceus is up to each caravan--some will offer as few as ten, and some will offer many baskets filled with hundreds or even thousands of pearls. But it is generally agreed that a caravan should offer at least one full basket of pearls to Arceus. For many in Paldea, the trip to Sagrada is a coming of age ritual. Even foreigners will often join the traveler caravans, as it is a good way to see the entire region, and many of its natural and man made treasures.

This year, best friends Juliana and Nemona are making the long trip to Sagrada from the small village of Cucharico--but there's still room for guests to join this caravan!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★

(Imagine the song above being covered by two lutes, an electric guitar, and a bass. The latter two are only possible with both forms of Toxtricity unless someone got isekai'd to this world with such instruments in tow.)

Should Juliana and/or Nemona make her/their way to Cucharico town square, she/they would've been greeted with some music and a crowd of enthusiastic people. The music itself came from a pair of redhead twins playing their lutes with their Toxtricity -- one Amped, one Low Key -- as their accompanists. Not only that, it's also made even more festive with a blue-haired dancer in red and black, Pepe Sylvan, and his yellow Oricorio, Oriole, dancing to the song.

At this point, the redhead girl was the one doing the bulk of singing without missing a beat.

"Once upon a time, lying in another place
    There stood a kingdom that no others dared to face
    Sitting dainty upon the throne
    A fourteen year old lady ruled the kingdom on her own

As the clock chimed 3, then it was time to say goodbye
    Church bells would sing a song of justice through the sky
    Now this tiny girl who people once called a Queen
    Is sitting in a prison cell, having lost everything

Finally, the hand reaches the designated time
    The bells ring loudly now as she averts her eyes
    Looking somewhere in the crowd, then swiftly to the sky
    She recites her role's final line"

The music then stopped with a quiet-ish "Oh... is it tea time already?" followed by Oriole's graceful Air Slash to the sky that's supposedly mimicking the sound of a guillotine. Only then did the music continue with both redheads singing the last part.

"Hidden in the dark, an evil flower blooms
    Lovely petals, faintly dripping with doom
    Through the many years to come, they told tales of the days
    When the one they call the true 'Daughter of Evil' reigned"

Both the musicians and dancers soon ended the song with gusto. In Pepe's and Oriole's case, it could be clearly seen from their synchronized final poses.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

Unfortunately, Juliana and Nemona almost missed the show, as they were busy preparing the large wagon that would be home for their long journey to Sagrada. But this was not to say they couldn't hear the cheers of the audience from the square when the song ended. "Those minstrels that arrived a few days ago must be great..." Juliana smiled as she wrapped a well loved guitar case in some blankets to protect it.

"I could use a break from packing the wagon..." Nemona agreeed. "Arceus willing, we may not completely miss the show!"

4. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Applause and cheers filled the air as soon as the song ended, though it shortly took a rather awkward turn when one of the audience suddenly hollered, "THAT'S NOT HOW THE STORY GOES!!!" All eyes went to the yeller as they ranted about how the queen switched places with her most loyal servant at his insistence, how he ended up getting executed in her stead, yada yada. Cue the redhead girl's pout at the sudden interruption to the point of her yelling "HOW DARE YOU SPOIL THE STORY!!!" like how the "Daughter of Evil" she previously sang about would do in this situation. And yes, Pepe facepalmed and the redhead boy simply laughed it off. "Come on, you two. We're getting there, okay?" the latter tried to placate both his twin and the yeller, much to everyone else's amusement.

5. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

Just as the girls arrived at the square, they arrived just in time to hear a cry of "HOW DARE YOU SPOIL THE STORY!!!"

Juliana sighed--some people just didn't understand that some stories--and songs--had many different versions.

6. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    (A little spoiler: The two songs here, along with one more that I'll post later on, are parts of one proper tale. Click on the link and (hopefully) you'll get my drift.
    And yeah, Juliana, fair enough.)

Since the redhead girl looked like she needed some time to cool down, her brother decided to take over the spiel she was supposed to do. "Anyway, our lovely critic here is right. That song's simply what the public knew," he declared. Curiosity ensued among the audience at this point. "Of all the royal servants, one of them actually looked like a male version of the queen. He's very, very loyal to the queen and will do everything just to see her smile." And that's while Pepe switched Oriole out for a different Oricorio: the Pa'u one, Plumeline

Thankfully though, the sister had calmed down just enough to continue the spiel. "And this song..." she took a deep breath during the brief pause. "...is that servant's side of the story." With that out of the way, the minstrel boy began to sing, never mind that it'd end up being sung by twins.

"I am your loyal servant and you're our country's queen
    Us, a pair of pitied twins, burdened by our destiny
    Let hellfire consume me if that's what must be done
    I will gladly play the part so that you may shine, my sun"

#6 Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  7. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

(Would Juliana be familiar with the series in universe?)

8. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    (Either way is fine -- just do as you see fit.)

9. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

Juliana listened for a moment--she had never heard this song cycle before. Granted, she knew a few tragic stories, but when possible, she preferred more uplifting tales. But she knew better than anyone that a good story needed just a little darkness to make the triumphant ending shine all the more brighter.

10. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    (Fast forwarding to the end of the song -- you can listen to the rest in the video.)

Throughout the song, Pepe and Plumeline kept up their movements to match the beats. Every steps, every twirls, every sways, none of which looked like they were rehearsed. After all, it was a quasi-impromptu dance where the <insert the male equivalent of "bluenette" here> and any of his Oricorio partners (in this case, the Pa'u one) may or may not know the song's context yet they danced to its general vibe anyway.

"Long ago, there was a kingdom ruled by a queen
    At that time the two of us were barely aged fourteen
    A 'daughter of evil' ruled the kingdom from within
    But the stories lie, for she was my precious little twin"

Unlike the previous passages, the redhead twins sang different lyrics on the same tune this time around. The boy repeated the lyrics from the first passage, while the girl sang the new ones described from the dethroned-queen-on-the-run's POV.

"If the whole world plots to extinguish your light" ("Finally, the bells are announcing the time")
    "If they find a need to make you break and cry" ("I can feel my heart break with each passing chime")
    "Don't you worry, dear, I am right by your side" ("With your eyes averted, you look to the sky")
    "So just smile for me, it'll be alright" ("And the blade whistles down as you call out my line")

As with last time, the music then stopped with a quiet-ish "Oh, I believe it's tea time," (the phrasing was a little different here) followed by Plumeline's graceful Air Slash to the sky that's supposedly mimicking the sound of a guillotine. Only then did the music continue with both redheads singing the next part -- they shared the same lyrics this time.

"I am your loyal servant and you're my precious queen
    Us, a pair of pitied twins, burdened by our destiny
    Let hellfire consume me if that's what must be done
    I have gladly played my part so that you may shine, my sun"

The girl then stopped singing at this point, so it was up to the boy to sing the song's ending as the dancers slowed their movements down.

"If the day comes that we are reborn once again
    It'd be nice to play with you, so I'll wait for you 'til then"

#10 Mar 31, 2023
  11. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

While Juliana and Nemona were a little too far away to hear the music, they were close enough to see the dancing. That guy with the bird Pokémon looks interesting... Juliana thought.

12. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    As soon as the cheers, applause, and murmurs died down, the musician boy immediately picked up where the story had left off. "So... yeah. Long story short, the former queen ran away. The prideful 'Daughter of Evil' died along with her brother-turned-servant and she's a nobody now," he solemnly shook his head at the predicament. "She ended up in a monastery where her childhood beliefs were challenged and eventually worked there as a nun. The regret's still there, though."

His sister, meanwhile, quietly told Pepe that the next song would be a rather mellow one. The dancer then responded by returning Plumeline to her Pokéball and sending yet another Oricorio out in his stead: the Sensu one, Odoriko. Probably not as commonplace as the Baile one here in Paldea, but he digressed.

With that out of the way, Pepe and Odoriko started dancing as soon as the song began.

"Far away at the shore, in a town beside the sea
    Alone stands a girl, staring longingly
    It is here, at the shore, that she holds unto her chest
    A secret she dares never speak"

#12 Apr 1, 2023
  13. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

The next song took a mellower turn, but the story the song cycle told was getting sadder still.

Yet Nemona, who much preferred happy endings, or at the very least, a hopeful ending, was moved by this tale. "I may not be familiar with this story...but even I can't help but cry..." she explained as she brushed away a tear.

14. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    (Edited my previous posts to feature Pepe's Pa'u Oricorio instead of his Pom-Pom one for the second song.)

"Drifting farther away, little wish upon the waves
    With eyes full of tears, she regrets those days
    If the day comes that we are reborn again..."

So... yeah. Overall, this particular song was quite mellow -- if not outright sad. Both the musicians and dancers ended the song accordingly.

(Want me to throw one more song from the series in? I can think of a happy-ish one if you do.)

15. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

(This seems like a good point to end it and get the journey going...)

The girls applauded at the song's end. Even though they missed most of the show, these minstrels and dancers were very good at what they did.

16. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    (Okie~)

Man, what a way to end a performance. As much as the twins wanted to elaborate where the ex-queen got the "wish in a bottle" thing from, it had to wait. So one obligatory "Thank you"s later, the twins and Pepe splitted up the tips they'd acquired with the latter getting one-third of it while the audience went on their merry ways.

"Oof, where should I go next..." the blue-haired young man stretched his arms and wondered right after parting ways with the twins. No, really, he came to Paldea with little to no plans at hand.

17. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

Juliana took that opportunity to approach the dancer. "That was wonderful!" she raved. "If you like, you can come with us on our annual pilgrimage to the Grand Shrine in Sagrada..."

18. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    "Oh, thank you. Just what someone in my profession wants to hear~" Pepe cooed at the young lady that came to him. Why, she even offered to take him along in her-- er, their trip (seeing there were two of the ladies right there) to Sagrada. He'd already heard of that place from random passersby but had never gone there before, so...

"Lovely! Count me in, uh..." he immediately agreed only to trail off upon realizing he hadn't gotten the girls' names yet.

19. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    @SAF

"I'm Juliana--and this is my companion Nemona." Juliana smiled.

"Mucho gusto!--nice to meet you!" Nemona agreed.

20. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,346.1
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    "Juliana... Nemona... lovely names you got there," Pepe returned the smile. Now that introduction was in order, he saw no point of doing so with his birth name. I mean, he'd ditched that name since arriving at this land, for Arceus' sake. It took him quite awhile to get used to his new one.

Speaking of, he actually let his current name known to the girls. "I'm Pepe. Pepe Sylvan. I dance where bards sing," he said. No, really, they should've seen him doing that a moment ago.