1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gen 2 Pokemon Gold or Pokemon Silver?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Pixel, Sep 19, 2017.

?

Pokemon Gold or Pokemon Silver?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2017.
  1. Gold! It's time to soar in the skies with Ho-Oh!

18.2%
  2. Silver! Discover the depths of the ocean with Lugia!

63.6%
  3. BOTH! I have endless amounts of money and am also a huge nerd!

18.2%
  1. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver are being released on the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console this week, and the nostalgic hype train is running through the Pokémon community! But here's the most important question - Pokémon Gold or Pokémon Silver?

Of course, the first few generations of Pokémon didn't have many differences between versions, with the main difference being the Box Mascot and some of the wild Pokémon that can be found. If you haven't decided yet, here are some details on the differences.

Despite Pokémon Gold's mascot being Ho-Oh and Pokémon Silver's mascot being Lugia, players are able to catch both Legendary Pokémon in each version of the game. For those of you who don't know how to do this, when you reach Pewter City in the Kanto region, talk to an NPC who looks like an old man, and he'll give you the wing of the Legendary Pokémon for the opposite game. This is the same method used in HeartGold and SoulSilver, so if you're familiar with that, then you shouldn't have any trouble.

There are also version-exclusive Pokémon that cannot be caught in one version or the other. In Pokémon Gold, players are able to find Makney, Primeape, Growlithe, Arcanine, Spinarak, Ariados, Gligar, Teddiursa, Ursaring, and Mantine. In Pokémon Silver, players are able to find Vulpix, Ninetales, Meowth, Persian, Ledyba, Ledian, Delibird, Skarmory, Phanpy and Donphan.

So, with all this in mind, which version are you planning on purchasing? (Even if you aren't going to buy them, you can still vote for fun~) You can also provide a reason as to why below, to create some conversation.

Personally, I'm planning to buy Pokémon Silver. I've always been a big fan of Lugia, and I own SoulSilver, so I feel attached to Silver. Ironically, my first experience with Pokémon was Pokémon Gold, but I still prefer Silver. I also like Vulpix and Phanpy better than Growlithe and Teddiursa, so I just have to get Silver!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Sorry mate, if I had to buy, I'd shell out monies for Teddiursa :love::love:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I want both...but I doubt I can afford them *I need a job dammit* However, maybe it;s good that I don't have to choose, because I CAN'T choose. I want both games, just to see the little differences and those little secrets...
    Anyways, has anyone else heard about that Celebi you can get with either of the games?
    #MissingNo

4. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    @GiratinaMissingNo I know, although I do have about..2 Celebi now, it doesn't hurt to have a 3rd!
    I have to go with Silver. My first 'new game' was on Silver (Got Red, Silver, and Gold at the same time and they all had saved files on them as they were used copies. Silver was the first one to get a new save file), my dad's first game was Silver, the first Level 100s I saw were on Silver (Dad got his Typlosion and Ho-Oh to level 100).. I also have SoulSilver, and my Trainer Persona was, for the longest time, 'bonded' with a Lugia.

5. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    While I never played the original Silver, I did get Soul Silver, and hot dang, I had some fun playing it. Actually my second favorote game after Sapphire; Cyndaquil and Lugia for life! (Although I will admit, Ho-oh's battle theme sounds cooler...)

6. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Silver! (I mean I got the collectors version of SS so... yeah). Can't get it when it comes out though... (Heck I have no money for USUM)

7. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    I would likely get it if I could on my 3ds, most likely silver due to lugia being my preference of the two :)

8. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I want to go with Gold for nostalgia sake... but I've never played Silver so PROBABLY Silver.

9. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I have played through crystal so I dont know much about both of these buttttt I like the rainbow bird Ho-Oh but I really like the Lugia movie which made me like him.... ahhhh

10. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    #SilverBois

Though it makes me miss XD : Gale of Darkness... T_T

11. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I actually got Gold way back in the day, but I preferred Lugia, so IF I get one of the games, it is going to be Silver.

12. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Gold was the first game I bought with my own saving up so I'm super attached to it. I got Hear gold and I'll be going for gold again this time!
    Though I wish crystal was an option too.

13. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12,046.5
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Gonna get Silver, it was the version I got when they were first released and I prefer that version more of the two in general.

14. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I had been debating on this for a long time now, because I wanted Lugia, but then again I really wanted to shiny hunt Ho-Oh. Aaaaaaand now that I know that I can get both in each game, I think I have sided with Silver. There's too many mons I like in that game, it would be hard to pass it down lol

15. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I still have a working copy of Silver on my gameboy color, so I think I'm going to get Gold.

However, I reaaaaaally want to get a Multiscale Lugia... since Hidden abilities are a thing for transferred Pokémon from the virtual console. o3o So if I can clone Ho-ohs from Gold to trade for one, then I don't need to worry about getting Silver as well.

16. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    If I had the money, I'd go for Gold. I played HeartGold before, and I'd love to go back to the roots of the game in a way.

Isn't Growlithe a Gold exclusive? I would also get it for that one sole reason

17. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I've got some good news for you (but it shouldn't be news since I put it in the first post), Lugia (and Ho-Oh) can be caught in either version of the game! It works exactly the same as it does in HGSS, and is the only main-series game so far where both cover legends can be caught, without being a sister game or a sequel.

Bubbles likes this.
  18. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Gold was the one I owned in my childhood, so I'll probably go for Silver this time.

19. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I officially purchased Pokémon Gold :D I am super hyped for it, releases today at 12pm EST

20. Raziere

Aurora
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽52.7
    well I played gold back in the day......so probably Silver, if at all.