1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fanfiction Pokemon Lightning Yellow

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by WavePearl, May 10, 2022.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 14a: The School of Hard Knocks (part 1)

"...since we couldn't see any other colors, It has to be a Shiny Fearow!" Misty countered as the group made their way down a back road leading to Cerulean Cape some days later.

"Oh yeah? How many Shiny Fearows do you know that make rainbows as they fly?" Ash shot back. "That's why I'm sure it was Ho'oh we saw!"

"It wasn't Ho'oh, it was a Shiny Fearow!" Misty retorted.

"It WAS Ho'oh!" Ash pleaded. The argument continued like this for a while:

"No, it wasn't!"

"Oh, yes it was!"

"Was not!"

"Was to!"

"Was not!"

"Was to!"

"Was not!"

"Was to!"

"Was not!"

"Was to!"

FWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

"Okay!" Brock interjected before pocketing a black referee's whistle. "Let's review just what happened in the storm before we saw that odd Pokémon..." Brock began.

---------

In the group's memory, Brock called to Ash and Misty to join him in a small alcove covered in foliage. "In an effort to get out of the rain last night, and get away from some more Spearows, I found a small cave, and called to you both to join me inside." Brock explains via voiceover as the Ash and Misty in the flashback hurry towards the alcove, with a Spearow flock hot on their heels. "Try as you might to run, you and Misty were separated in the chaos, and the Spearows tried to attack you." Brock continues via voiceover as the Ash in the flashback desperately tries to deflect the Spearows as he and Misty are separated at a fork. "All the attacks eventually caused you to trip on a small embankment." Brock continues as this happens in the flashback. "Battered, beaten, wet, and cold, you decided to sacrifice yourself to the Spearows, in hopes Tintri, Misty, and me could live." Brock continues as Ash weakly gets up and yells something into the rain as the Spearows approach. "But Tintri decided to attack the Spearows to save us all." Brock continues as we see Tintri leap off Ash's shoulder and fire a massive Thundershock at the Spearows as Misty watches from a rock, and Brock watches from the cave.

When the group emerges from their safe spots some time later, Ash spots a majestic bird-like Pokémon flying towards the rising sun. "Once we finally collected ourselves, we saw that Pokémon. It was too far away for Ash's Pokédex to analyze it, so that started what you guys were fighting over." Ash and Misty start arguing as the scene swirls back to the present...

---------

"You both have strong cases for what you think that Pokémon was, but I'm going to have to tentatively--key word here!--side with Ash based on his description of what he could see of that Pokémon." Brock explained. "Hopefully, we will see the Pokémon again so we can have definitive proof as to what it is."

"That's fair." Misty replied as Brock started building a makeshift camp near a clearing. "Maybe next time it will be close enough for Ash's Pokédex to analyze it."

Brock nodded in agreement. "Ash...can I trust you and Tintri to go get some wood for a campfire? It's getting too hot to travel, so may as well rest from last night, and have some lunch."

"Leave it to us!" Ash smiled back as he welcomed his now recovered Pikachu on his shoulder. "Be back shortly!" he called as he hurried off into the forest.

---------

[Here's a stick...] Tintri smiled as he gave Ash another piece of wood some time later.

Some male voices in the distance snapped Ash to attention. "...the Terastal phenomenon?"

"A mysterious transformation from the far away Paldea region that transforms Pokémon into a jewel-like appearance, and may change their type." a nervous voice replied.

"Name one of the two attacks that the card Tauros the Fury of the Jungle has."

"Rampage."

Piqued, Ash and Tintri followed the voices to a large grove, where a group of boys in elegant navy and red outfits that Ash assumed were school uniforms were quizzing a brown haired boy running on a treadmill:

"In the play 'Braviary Warrior of the Flowers', what is unique about the daeva Scarlet Braviary?"

"He has Braviary talons."

"Name one of the two Grass type moves Abra can learn, and for extra points, what their Contest types are."

Finally, the boy sputtered "I don't know!", more out of exhaustion than anything else. "Abra...is supposed...to..."

This was as far as he got before one of the boys sped up the treadmill, making the brown haired boy attempt to run even faster. "10 more miles an hour!" one jeered. "Get a few right, and we might slow it down!"

That poor boy's going to be ran to death if I don't do something! Ash thought as he summoned Mina. "Mina, take the wood I've gathered back to camp, then bring Misty and Brock here."

After finding the treadmill's power switch, Ash turned the treadmill off, making the brown haired boy collapse in exhaustion. "What were you trying to do to your...classmate? Run him to death?"

"He flunked his latest exam, so we were putting him through Power Training." one boy explained.

"We're students of the Pokémon Technical Institute or PTI, for short." another boy explained before motioning for the other uniformed boys to leave, taking the treadmill with them. "Do to Joe as you like--we've got class in a few minutes."

Misty and Brock arrived with Mina as Ash did his best to assess the brown haired boy's condition. "We heard everything from Mina." Brock explained before addressing the boy. "Joe, right?"

"Yes...water...please.." Joe wheezed.

As Brock gave Joe a bottle of water, Misty spread out a large cushion for Joe to lie on. "What were you doing on that treadmill answering questions?" Misty asked as Joe gingerly climbed on the cushion to finally rest his throbbing legs.

"It's Giselle's so called 'Power Training'." Joe explained in between gulps of water. "She claims it's supposed to strengthen your body and your mind, but all it ever does is exhaust those that do it, and makes them do worse on the exams. Then they're sent to do it again, in a viscous cycle."

He took another gulp of water. "I sometimes pretend to know less than I really do because the questions--and the Power Training--get so much harder..."

"But that's no way to learn anything!" Ash protested. "Learning should be enjoyable and engaging, not torture!"

He asked "Who came up with this torture? I'll be happy to give them a piece of my mind!"

Joe showed Ash a picture of a dark wavy haired girl in a similar uniform to the boys. "Here she is...this is Giselle."

Ash balked at the picture. "Whoa...pretty and powerful!"

"Yeah, she looks like a movie star!" Brock agreed as he admired the girl's picture.

Misty, meanwhile, was annoyed by Ash and Brock's reaction to the picture. "If you guys wanna see stars, I'll be more than happy to show you some!" she snapped, preparing to knock some sense back into the boys with a massive mallet.

Ash noticed the large mallet looming over him and Brock. "Okay, okay! We'll behave if you don't bonk us!" Even Joe found Misty's threat hilarious, and giggled over Ash's panic--the first time he had laughed all day...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 14b: The School of Hard Knocks (part 2)

"Wow..." the group gasped as they arrived onto the beautiful campus some time later. "Where do we begin in touring this place?" Misty asked as the group went inside one of the academics buildings.

Ash balked when he saw a portrait in a hallway depicting some familiar faces and a familiar Meowth. "WHAT??? Team Rocket once studied here?"

"School legend has it that Jessie and James both epically flunked the entry exam, achieving the worst score in its 150 year history." Joe explained. "No one has ever tied them or even topped it in all that time. But I don't know how true that story might be."

"So why would they get a portrait in this hallowed hall if they did so terrible?" Brock wondered.

"As a reminder of their failure, and a warning to the students not to be like them." Joe replied. "They were eventually allowed in on provision, as the story goes, and they were kicked out before they ever graduated. I could tell you what I've heard about them for hours."

He turned business-like again. "If memory serves, Giselle should be in one of the study yards by now. Here at PTI, it's overall skill as a trainer, not any one battle, that determines success. Even though I am is the weakest student in the class, I like to think I'm still better than someone with two Badges."

"How can that be?" Misty gasped. "You don't even have a single Badge to your credit!"

"I'm very familiar with Cerulean Gym--when I get a minute with my Game Boy Color, I can easily clear it on Trainer's Quest Blue and Trainer's Quest Yellow." Joe replied.

"I might be a pushover in a video game, but I'm more than a match for you in the real world!" Misty vowed. "Let's head for the training yards, and have a real battle!"

"I dunno, you were pretty easy in Trainer's Quest..." Joe smiled as he led the way to a training yard.

---------

"Pearl, let's go!" Misty called, summoning her faithful Starmie on the Red side of an outdoor arena.

"Venus, come on!" Joe summoned a pitcher plant-like Pokémon onto the Blue side of the arena.

Ash, meanwhile, decided to read up on what Joe had summoned:

"Weepinbell, the flycatcher Pokémon. It is a Pokémon that appears to be a plant. It captures unwary prey by dousing them with a toxic powder."

No matter what Joe may try, Misty has a counter for. Ash thought as Pearl and the Weepinbell traded attacks. Joe may have the advantage against a Water type, but Starmie is part Psychic too, taking advantage of the fact that Weepinbell is also part Poison. Joe needs to be careful here...

"Pearl, use Ice Beam!" Misty's call and a frozen blast snapped him back to reality.

"What???" Joe gasped as he hurried to collect his frozen and swirly eyed Weepinbell. "I thought I could beat you because Venus is a Grass type!"

"Didn't I tell you that real life is very different than a video game, Joe?" a familiar girl with thick brown wavy hair began as she arrived in the yard. "Since the real Pearl has real world battle experience, she won't go down as easily as her Trainer's Quest counterpart!"

She sighed. "I don't know why the administration keeps you here--you are a total embarrassment to the school! If I were the one in charge, you would've been expelled a long time ago..."

Brock winced as Giselle continued to rant. "She may be beautiful, but she literally rules the school like a queen!"

"Yeah...the Queen of Hearts from 'Alice in Wonderland'..." Ash shuddered in agreement.

A threat from Giselle snapped the boys to attention. "...If you don't shape up, Joe, I will personally force you to study alone, without any help!"

"Now wait a minute!" Misty interjected, stopping Giselle mid rant. "A true friend would not walk away from a friend in need of help! You may be beautiful outside, but inside, your heart is as ugly as a witch!"

Giselle said nothing "You're just jealous, Redhead, because you're too plain for me. I would flatten you with a Graveler to prove I can beat a Pokémon with a disadvantage, but I don't know if you're worthy enough to fight me."

"Graveler?" Ash looked to Brock as Misty and Giselle continued arguing.

"If I may borrow your Pokédex for a second?" Brock asked.

After pressing a few buttons, he showed Ash an image of a large rugged rock being Pokémon on the Pokédex screen. "A Graveler is this guy..." he explained as he gave the Pokédex back to Ash to study.

"Graveler, the rock Pokémon. They descend from mountains by tumbling down steep slopes. They are so brutal, they smash aside obstructing trees and massive boulders with thunderous tackles."

Ash swallowed hard at the entry. "I can see how a trained Graveler could possibly beat a trained Water or Grass type..."

"...Besides, weak Pokémon can still win if they are better trained." Giselle told Misty with a smug smile, aware of the growing crowd of students watching the argument out of concern.

A podium overlooking the yard got Ash's attention. A podium! Maybe I can tell the students that there's more to training than all these stats and numbers--and Giselle is wrong!

After dashing to the podium and gently tapping the mic to make sure it worked, Ash addressed the crowd. "Everyone...there is so much more to training Pokémon than levels, stats, natures, EV's, IV's, special formes, and special evolutions. It's about getting to know your Pokémon for the unique creatures they are, bonding with them, learning with them and from them, and being there for them through thick and thin. There's no such thing as strong or weak Pokémon--even the weakest Magikarp can become a mighty Gyarados with enough love and care."

He proudly showed off the Boulder Badge and Cascade Badge he owned. "Even though I have only been on the road for two short months, I already have two badges!"

Giselle was unimpressed as the huge crowd of students gasped in awe and chattered with excitement. "So you beat two weak Gym Leaders with the power of love...big deal."

"Hey..." Misty growled.

"Come a little closer and say that..." Brock agreed, striking a fighting pose. "I happen to know Raikou style kung fu, if you want me to defend Ash's honor!"

Giselle ignored Misty and Brock, and approached the podium. "I'm amazed you haven't even taught your Pikachu how to return to its Poké Ball! So are you training your Pokémon, or are they training you? Hm?"

Ash summoned Wings and Mina for Giselle to see. "Tintri, Wings, and Mina are my friends!"

"Really? Most beginners should have a full team of six Pokémon by the time they get two Badges, and you only have half of that!" Giselle gasped. "Maybe those two Badges are beginner's luck!"

She went on "I'm surprised that you chose Pikachu as your starter, as they are known to be hard to handle. Guess you wanted to try and tame a 'shocking' personality!"

[YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!] Tintri screeched as Giselle howled with laughter.

"Okay, if I'm so terrible at Pokémon training, then let's duel!" Ash snapped back. "Let's see whose style of training is better!"

To Be Continued...

3. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 14c: The School of Hard Knocks (part 3)

Previously, on "Pokémon Lightning Yellow"...

Giselle ignored Misty and Brock, and approached the podium. "I'm amazed you haven't even taught your Pikachu how to return to its Poké Ball! So are you training your Pokémon, or are they training you? Hm?"

Ash summoned Wings and Mina for Giselle to see. "Tintri, Wings, and Mina are my friends!"

"Really? Most beginners should have a full team of six Pokémon by the time they get two Badges, and you only have half of that! Maybe those two Badges are beginner's luck!

She went on "I'm surprised that you chose Pikachu as your starter, as they are known to be hard to handle. Guess you wanted to try and tame a 'shocking' personality!"

[YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!] Tintri screeched as Giselle howled with laughter.

"Okay, if I'm so terrible at Pokémon training, then let's duel!" Ash snapped back. Let's see whose style of training is better!"

In the arena, Giselle summoned a brown reptilian Pokémon with a skull for a helmet. "Lagrima, let's go!"

"Piqued, Ash read up on his opponent:

"Cubone, the lonely Pokémon. If it is sad or lonely, the skull it wears shakes and emits a plaintive and mournful sound."

"Tintri, try Seismic Toss!" Ash called. Tintri's electricity would be useless--Cubone is a Ground type, according to the Pokédex!

He gasped in shock as the Cubone wriggled free from Tintri's grip! "WHAT???"

"Lagrima, lower the Pikachu's defense with Leer!" Giselle called.

Tintri, meanwhile, was unfazed at the Cubone's glowing red eyes, and opted to make some funny faces. [Nya-nya, nya-nya-nya! Nya-nya, nya-nya-nya!]

The crowd watched for a moment as both Cubone and Pikachu stared each other down. Giselle broke the silence some moments later. "Lagrima, use Bone Club!"

Ash winced as the Cubone bonked Tintri with a bone. That had to hurt... he thought as Tintri came stumbling back to him with Pidgeys spinning around his head.

Giselle's next call made him gasp. "Lagrima, let's finish this with Bonemerang!"

Ash heaved a relieved sigh as Tintri mananged to jump over the large bone headed for him! "No fair making a vicious attack on an already battered Pokémon!"

"If I did it once, I can do it again to unplug your precious Pikachu!" Giselle shot back. "Lagrima, use Bonemerang again!"

"Tintri, show this bully who's boss!" Ash called. "You've got this!"

[Yeah!] Tintri nodded before jumping over the Cubone and shoving its skull down over its eyes, rendering it unable to see. The crowd then watched in amazement as Tintri bit the Cubone, then darted away, allowing the Cubone's own Bonemerang to knock it out!

Giselle wasn't sure what to make of her swirly eyed Cubone. "I can't believe it...your Pikachu won without a single bolt of electricity...." she began as she recalled her fainted Pokémon. "The textbook didn't say anything about this..."

In the crowd, Misty, Brock, and Joe watched in amazement as Tintri took a bow for the crowd. "Wow! Ash took Giselle down like a tough boss in Trainer's Quest!" Joe gasped. "I think that's the first time that Giselle has ever lost that I can remember!"

"Ash's victory was not a fluke..." Misty assured Joe. "He won because he believes in his Pokémon, and in return, they believe in him.

As the crowd dispersed, Giselle took a moment to reflect on what had just taken place. "Maybe the most important lessons can't be found in a book..." she mused. "Maybe you were right when you said that the key to being a successful trainer is love and trust."

She looked over at the group and Joe. "I'm not going to run the school like a prison anymore--I'm gonna try and follow Ash's example of loving and trusting the students and their Pokémon. No more Power Training, and no more drills of facts and figures! While numbers are only part of the equation, you have to love each Pokémon too--even the weakest of Magikarp!"

The school erupted in relieved cheers when the students saw that their top student and leader had changed for the better. "What's next for you, Joe?" Brock asked. "Are you gonna stay here now that Giselle and the students won't harass you anymore?"

"Actually..." Joe began. "While I wish Giselle and PTI the best, I think I'm gonna withdraw and go on an adventure like you guys. You've shown me that real world experience is way better than any textbook when it comes to Pokémon."

Ash smiled. "Well...no matter where your new journey takes you, Joe, I hope we meet again one day."

Joe smiled as he linked pinkies with Ash. "Let's meet again one day!"

4. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 15a: Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village (part 1)

"...I'm SURE Vermilion City is this way!" Ash announced as the group made their way down a path a few days later.

"Then why are we going north?" Misty shot back, shoving a map of Kanto in Ash's face. "Vermilion City is to the south--not the direction we're going!"

"But according to my guidebook, we have to go north a little ways to reach the road going south..." Brock interjected, showing Misty a picture in the guidebook.

"Let me see that!" Misty snatched the guidebook away, then raised an eyebrow at the diagram. "Huh...maybe we do have to go north a little. Most maps of Kanto I have say you need to go due south to reach Vermilion..."

A breeze and some trembling made Misty realize where the group was--a rope bridge! "Great--we've somehow walked onto one of those rickety rope bridges that have to show up somewhere in every adventure movie we've ever watched..."

Ash tensed up as he hard a snap. "Knowing our luck, the bridge is gonna snap right about..."

Just then, a gust of wind made the bridge snap in two! "NOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!" Ash screamed as he, Misty, and Brock went tumbling down into the water below.

Brock was first to surface. "Everyone okay?" he managed to sputter before coughing up some water.

"Aside from being soaked and cold, I'm fine." Misty replied as she surfaced. "Now all that's left is to see if Ash is okay..."

Ash surfaced some moments later. "Well, I don't see anyplace we can come ashore..." he mused as he wrung out his cap. "What if no one finds us? What if we're washed out to sea and shanghaied by pirates?"

Misty sighed as the trio drifted along the current. "Just how many episodes of 'Pirate Hunter Queen' do you watch a day?"

---------

Some moments later, the three come ashore, where a blue haired girl with a red headband was waiting for them. "Well! It's not very often that I see travelers out this way...my name is Melanie."

"Pleased to meet you...I'm Brock, a traveling storyteller." Brock replied as Misty and Ash climbed onto dry land. "These two are my companions, Ash, and Misty."

Melanie looked over the group as she draped towels over them. "You three don't look at to be troublemakers at all--so if you'll come with me, I'll take you to the Hidden Village. I know all the safe ways there, away from all the traps and deterrents."

"Hidden Village? Traps?" Ash was intrigued.

"You'll see when we get there, okay?" Melanie assured Ash as she lead the group through the brush, away from various pitfalls, ropes, and other traps.

---------

"Okay...good thing my guitar's okay, and survived our little misadventure." Brock mused when he saw his guitar was none the worse for wear.

"Fiddle's fine here, somehow..." Misty reported.

After blowing out some water from his two whistles, Ash tried a few notes on the silver D whistle, only for them to sound clean. "Both whistles are okay!"

He looked up from inspecting his instruments to find that the group had arrived in a large flower filled village filled with Pokémon. "Wow..."

"Are all these Pokémon yours?" Misty gasped in amazement at the many Pokémon going about their daily routines.

"The Hidden Village is a place for abandoned or injured Pokémon to rest and relax." Melanie explained. "If they are injured, I do my best to care for them until they are better, and then they go to seek their own fortune. Granted, I'm nowhere near as skilled as a Pokémon Center nurse, but I do pretty well."

"What about the abandoned ones?" Now Ash was curious.

"The abandoned ones stay here for as long as they like--or until they feel they are ready to leave here." Melanie explained. "I set all the traps around the village, including the rope bridge, to prevent troublemakers from reaching the village and protect the Pokémon from being captured."

Brock nodded to show he understood. "You have our word that we won't catch any of the Pokémon that live here in the village--not unless they make the choice to go with us."

"Trainer's honor!" Misty smiled, making the three fingered scout sign for emphasis.

"Are the traps we saw on the way to the village going to be enough to keep thieves and rogues away?" Ash wondered, concerned. "I'm not sure pitfalls, nets and ropes will deter the more determined thieves..."

"Sure, I'm sure...no troublemaker has yet made it in to the village without encountering the traps first." Melanie explained as a small reptilian Pokémon with a large bulb on its back joined her. "If they did make it in, this Bulbasaur chased them off."

Bulbasaur...that's one of the three starters of this region! Ash remembered before retrieving his still dry Pokédex:

"Bulbasaur, the seed Pokémon. The seed on its back is filled with nutrients. The seed grows steadily larger as its body grows."

A blinking MORE icon got Ash's attention. "Bulbasaur's final form, Venusaur, is capable of Mega Evolution should the trainer have an awakened Heart Song."

[I don't care what kind of superpowered song you know...] the Bulbasaur growled. [You're not laying a finger on my charges!]

"But what if they ask to come with me?" Ash replied.

[If they make the decision for themselves, I'll respect that.] the Bulbasaur explained. [But I will not tolerate you making that decision for them!]

"Okay! I'm not going to catch anyone--all I ask for is food and a bed for tonight, at least." Ash assured the Bulbasaur. "In exchange for some entertainment, maybe?" he asked as he located one of his two whistles.

The Bulbasaur glanced at Melanie. [How bout it, Melanie? Should we let these humans stay for a while?]

"They look like trustworthy people, so I see no harm in letting them stay." Melanie replied. "They've promised not to catch anyone many times over."

5. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Interlude: Planting the Seeds of Trust

"Wow..." Ash gasped as the group arrived in the cabin some time later. "This is beautiful!"

[This is the Council House of the Hidden Village.] the Bulbasaur explained. [It is where we gather for both important meetings, as well as celebrations. Guests also get to stay here, as well--there's plenty of room for you and your companions.]

"The flowers and vines are beautiful..." Misty agreed as she admired the many roses, chrysanthemums, geraniums and other flowers interwoven between the cabin's logs. "Did you plant them from your bulb?"

The Bulbasaur nodded. [Every last one was one of my seeds. Each one has a special meaning to us, but I would need all night to explain all their meanings.]

Brock knelt down to the Bulbasaur's level. "I make my keep as a traveling storyteller--would you like me to share some of the stories I've found with everyone?"

[Please do!] the Bulbasaur smiled. [It would make perfect entertainment for our dinner tonight!]

---------

Once Melanie and some Pidgeys had delivered dinner to the residents of the village, they turned to a stage at the north end of the room. "In a certain village lived an artisan who made his keep making paper flowers to sell as decorations." Brock began as a spotlight appeared on him. "He had a daughter named Hikari, who was as equally skilled as her father. One day, as Hikari was walking in a field looking for new ideas for flower designs, she found a Beautifly trapped in an Ariados web, and set it free moments before it could become the Ariados' dinner."

Relieved murmurs filled the room. "Back at home, Hikari told her mother about the trapped Beautifly, and how she had freed it." Brock went on. "Her mother only smiled and said that a good deed does not go unrewarded."

He went on "Hikari soon became famous for her paper flowers, and many people came from far and wide to request one--whether it was a noble or a commoner, all who bought Hikari's flowers raved that they were so realistic, you almost couldn't tell they were just paper."

Even the Bulbasaur gasped in amazement at this. "Now, at that time, there was a law in the land that said no Pokémon--not even a Venonat--could be killed, injured, or otherwise forcefully struck for any reason, not even in self defense." Brock interjected, quieting the chatter. "This meant that herders could not protect their Tauros and Mareeps from Mightenas, and summers were all the more miserable thanks to endless Venonat bites."

Laughter filled the room as Brock feigned scratching imagined Venonat bites for a moment. "One day, as Hikari and her father were in town selling their paper flowers, a wild Growlithe surprised Hikari." Brock explained. "It would have bitten her had her father not brandished a stick as a warning. The magistrate saw the whole thing, and arrested Hikari's father for attempting to harm the Growlithe, when he had in fact never laid a finger on the Growlithe to begin with."

[That's not very nice!] the Bulbasaur gasped, brandishing her vines as if the magistrate in Brock's story was there.

"It didn't help that some magistrates, like the one in the town, tried to game the system because of the law." Brock went on. "They arrested people when they in fact did nothing wrong; all in an attempt to gain the bounties for people that actually had broken the law."

More angry murmurs filled the room at this. "Hikari calmly told the magistrate that her father had only brandished a stick at the Growlithe to warn it away, and nothing more." Brock assured his antsy audience. "The magistrate then proposed a test for Hikari--if she could pick out a paper flower from a lineup of four other real ones, he would trust her claim, and set her father free."

He next revealed his twist in the tale. "As Hikari studied the lineup of flowers, she saw the Beautifly from before. It sipped nectar from all the flowers except for the second one."

Cheers filled the Council House at this. "The magistrate was stunned that Hikari had passed the test, and asked Hikari how she could tell that the second flower was only paper." Brock went on. "Hikari told the magistrate about the Beautifly, and how it had passed over the second flower, but gathered nectar from the real flowers."

He concluded. "So Hikari's father was set free, and his crime forgiven, thanks to the Beautifly."

Cheers filled the Council House as Brock took a bow. [Bravo!] the Bulbasaur cheered as she "applauded" with her vines. [Your friend is indeed as skilled as he claims to be!]

"Thank you..." Brock smiled to the cheering Pokémon and Melanie. "Ash, Misty, come help me with this next tale--I'll need your instruments for this one."

Once Ash and Misty had joined Brock on the stage, Brock started his next tale. "Once a boy was wandering through a forest one night, on his way home from a hunt. It was late that night, and there was no moon to light his way."

Melanie swallowed hard, but Brock had other ideas. "Suddenly, he heard a scream way off in the distance, and a mage dashed through some nearby bushes. A pack of Mightyenas pursued him. The boy readied an arrow and fired at the biggest Mightyena, killing it. The rest of the Mightyenas fled in terror."

The Pokémon cheered at this. "The mage was grateful, and promised his deliverer whatever he wished in return for spending the night with him." Brock went on.

"I would desire nothing more than a night's rest--I have been hunting all day, and have lost my way back home." Ash jumped in the role of the boy.

"The mage took the boy to his cabin that lay in a clearing." Brock continued. "No sooner had the boy arrived, did he lie down and fall into a deep sleep. After some time, the mage's servant girl was interested in how the boy saved her master. She asked him to tell her about the encounter. Once the boy had finished his tale, the servant girl instructed him..."

"If my master asks if you desire a reward for saving his life, request the third Ponyta that in the stable." Misty fills in the girl's dialogue.

"Some time later, the mage returned with a grand haul from his hunt, and the three of them sat down to a great meal together." Brock continued. "Besides the meat, there was fruit of all kinds, the finest cheeses, and fresh water unlike any other. When the meal had ended, the mage asked the boy..."

"I must thank you again for saving my life--do you desire any reward?" he asked in character as the mage.

"I only want the third Ponyta in the stables." Ash replied as the boy.

"The mage tried again and again to talk the boy into reconsidering his offer, but the boy insisted on the Ponyta." Brock went on as the group retrieved their instruments. "Finally, the mage relented, and also granted the boy three magic instruments--a guitar..."

He strummed a slow G chord for effect. "...a fiddle..."

Misty stroked a few notes for effect. "...and a flute...."

The Bulbasaur giggled as Ash played a high trill on his own whistle for effect. "The boy was told that should he ever be in danger, to play the guitar first." Brock explained. "If no help came, he was to play the fiddle, and if still no help came, to play the flute."

"Remember those instruments--they'll be important later!" Ash reminded their small audience...

---------

..."You would think by now, the groom would know to leave the boy alone, but no..." Brock intoned as he approached the story's climax. "Some time later, the groom appeared before the king a third time. He said that he had overheard the boy saying that he wished to have the throne for himself. Once again, the groom was lying through his teeth, but the king was angry enough to believe him."

"NO!!!!" Melanie gasped.

"The king was so angry, he didn't even bother to give the boy a trial, and ordered the boy killed right away." Brock continued. "The day of the execution came, and the boy was asked if he had any last requests. The boy nodded, and asked if he could play one last tune on the guitar. Leave was granted, and no sooner had the boy touched the strings, the executioner found himself dancing in spite of himself."

Tintri led the clapping as Brock proceeded to play "The Bluk Berry Flower" on his own guitar. "By the time the boy had finished, the executioner was so tired, he delayed the execution for a day." Brock continued when the applause quieted. "The story of the miracle guitar spread like wildfire. The next morning, a huge crowd had turned out to witness the execution. When asked if he had any last requests, the boy asked if he could play one last tune on the fiddle. No sooner had the bow met the strings, not only did the executioner dance, but so did everyone else in the crowd."

Melanie led the clapping as Brock and Misty launched into a guitar and fiddle rendition of "The Trainer's Cap". "By the time the boy finished, it was dark out, and so the execution was delayed another day." Brock went on. "On the third day, when the boy was asked if he had any last requests, he asked if he could play one last tune on the flute. The king refused him at first--he had bad memories of dancing away another day. But the princess interceded, saying that it was his last request, and a prisoner's last request was not to be denied. So the king plugged his ears with wax, and the groom tied himself to a tree to protect themselves. But no sooner had the boy blown one note, did the rest of the crowd dance again, barring the king and the groom."

Ash started the tune "The Meowth's Call" for effect. "After a few minutes, the mage appeared to the boy in a rush of wind and light." Brock narrated when Ash had finished the tune.

"What sort of danger are you in, that you have called for me?" he asked as the mage again.

"Someone present here has spoken a lie against me, and now the king wants to put me to death. The executioner is waiting for me to finish my song." Ash explained in character as the boy.

"The mage, meanwhile, charged some red light in his hands and called..." Brock narrated before calling in character. "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire!"

He played a mystical flourish with Misty to mimic the spell. "No sooner had the mage spoke, did a fireball come flying from the mage's hands, setting the gallows ablaze."

"And who was it that brought a false charge against you?" he asked as the mage again.

Ash points at an imagined person as Brock narrated "The boy pointed out the groom--who was still bound to the tree-- and the mage charged another ball of light, this one blue, and called..."

"Scatter your chilly sharp blades! Ice!"

Inspired, Tintri batted the bells at the house's entryway to mimic the spell. "Icicles came flying from the mage's hands, and they sliced up the tree and the groom to little pieces." Brock went on. "The king then realized that the boy was innocent, and that his groom had been lying to him all along."

"Thank Arceus..." Melanie was relieved the boy would be all right.

"So he ordered the boy freed, and offered the princess' hand in marriage as an apology. Brock concluded. "And so the boy and the princess were married. But the boy kept the three instruments and his Ponyta with him, just in case he needed their power again."

More cheers filled the house as the group took a bow. But Ash noticed the Bulbasaur's stern look was now an enthusiastic smile. I hope our performance is enough to convince the Bulbasaur to trust us!

6. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 15b: Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village (part 2)

"A little scrub over here, and we're done!" Brock smiled as he finished polishing a Staryu's jewel the next morning.

"Come on in, the water's fine!" Ash called to the Staryu, waving in the direction of a pond.

Misty smiled as the Staryu dove in the pond. "Maybe you two could dry the excess water off this Oddish after I'm done watering him?" The tiny sprout Pokémon giggled happily as the water ran down its skin and was absorbed.

[Oh, Sprout will let you know when he's had enough.] a familiar voice assured Misty.

"Huh?" Misty whirled around to see the Bulbasaur watching her. "Oh, good morning!"

[Caring for the residents, I see?] the Bulbasaur smiled. [One less seed for me to tend, then--carry on!]

Melanie watched the Bulbasaur walk off. "Bulbasaur's main job is to watch over the village, but she will assist anywhere there is a need."

A thwack of a Vine Whip snapped Ash to attention. [Back, back, you rogues!] he heard the Bulbasaur growl as she lashed a boy in delinquent's torn and faded clothing. [Don't lay a finger on these Pokémon!]

"Relax, Miss Bulby, we're not gonna do that..." one delinquent sneered before turning on a massive vacuum cleaner. "We're gonna pick'em up all at once, then give them out as trophies to the gang!"

"Where'd you get that?" Ash demanded as he, Misty, and Brock joined the Bulbasaur in staring down the delinquents.

"Some tough types in an R uniform, why?" one delinquent replied as he watched the vacuum power up. "Just try and stop us, hat-boy!"

As the large vacuum roared to life, Brock realized what was about to happen. "Everyone! Back to the Council House, quickly!"

As the various Pokémon followed Melanie and the group towards the Council House, Ash balked in horror as the Oddish was caught up in the suction! "Oh no!"

[Sprout! Catch!] the Bulbasaur called before lashing a vine for the Oddish to hold onto. [There...I have you, now don't let go!] she assured the Oddish.

Ash ran into the rapidly intensifying suction and braced himself against a tree, creating a human shield to block the wind. "There...I'm gonna try to hold off the suction for as long as I can--get the Oddish to safety!" he instructed the Bulbasaur.

The Bulbasaur nodded. [Such a brave human...I'll be back to help shortly!]

The delinquents snickered as they watched the Bulbasaur dash off to the Council House. "Their little safe zone is gonna be not-so-safe here in a moment..."

The Bulbasaur balked in horror as she watched the delinquents start to move the vacuum directly over the cabin! [My duty is to protect this place, or die trying!] she vowed.

She fired a vine at the vacuum hose. [HAAAAH!!!!]

Ash arrived moments later, just in time to see the Bulbasaur battering the vacuum hose. Say...if I can fight wind with wind...

He heaved a Pokémon skyward. "Mina, lend the Bulbasaur a wing, and help protect this village!"

[Know this, punks! The Pokémon here are not yours for the taking!] Mina screeched over the vacuum. "You think you're so powerful with a vacuum? Then feel my hurricane of fury!]

Ash and the Bulbasaur watched as Mina fired off a massive Gust, tossing the delinquents and their vacuum into the sky with a ping. "Good bye, and good riddance, punks!" Ash grinned.

[Okay, everyone! The intruders are gone!] the Bulbasaur called to the village residents.

Melanie smiled as the Pokémon emerged from the Council House, cheering for the humans that had saved them. "Well done, Ash--your courage and quick thinking saved the Hidden Village from being blown away!"

[Melanie...I think its time I left the village to go with these travelers.] the Bulbasaur replied. They are all clearly very talented, but I feel I could learn a lot from this young man's courage and kindness. There are no shortage of candidates for a new guardian, so I trust you will find some that will do as good a job as I did]

"Okay...Melanie smiled as she hugged the Bulbasaur one last time. "Since I never thought to name this Bulbasaur, I will let you give her a name, as a sign she is yours now." she told Ash.

Ash nodded. "I have just the name for her...Saria!"

"Oh, Link's friend in the upcoming Zelda game!" Misty remembered. "I've been hearing that 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' is gonna be amazing when it comes out!"

Brock smiled as he watched Ash and the Bulbasaur snuggle together. "If you want, I can teach you some stories to tell to your new guardian and the residents..."

"It's all right..." Melanie assured Brock. "I think you'll learn even more stories to tell us if you continue on your way."

Ash shepherded his new companion at his side. "Well, welcome to the team, Saria...the seeds of adventure will grow into flowers of memories!" Everyone laughed in agreement as they departed from the village...

#26 Dec 13, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  7. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 16: Charmander, the Stray Pokémon

"Great...we're lost again..." Misty grumbled as the group arrived back at a fork in the road for what felt like the umpteenth time. "Just how hard is it to go due south to Vermilion City?"

"Actually, the trail we're on intersects Route 24, which in turn leads straight south to Vermilion City." Ash explained, proudly showing Misty the map, with their planned route marked in green.

"This is why I made sure to mark the route." Brock agreed as he accepted the map from Ash and put it away. "So it would minimize the chance of our getting lost."

"If you say so, oh mighty leader..." Misty sighed, not looking forward to taking the long way to Vermilion City.

A large shadow snapped her from her frustration. "Funny--is there supposed to be an eclipse going on--or something?"

"Not to my knowledge...look over there!" Brock called, pointing out a tiny orange lizard Pokémon with a flaming tail sitting on a rock in the distance. "That was what was causing the shadow."

Ash recognized the tiny lizard Pokémon. That's a Charmander--another of Kanto's starters!

The Pokédex confirmed his thoughts:

"Charmander, the lizard Pokémon. The flame on its tail shows the strength of its life force. If it is weak, the flame also burns weakly."

Brock noticed that the Charmander's tail flame was flickering, and not the hearty blaze it needed to be. "Look there...there's barely any flame on this Charmander's tail at all! I don't know how it got here, or why, but we need to help it before its fire goes out!"

[Let me ask our Charmander how it got there, and if we can help it at all.] Tintri suggested as he hopped on the rock."

Misty watched as Tintri and the Charmander talked. "Can't we just reignite its tail flame? Or does reigniting it require some specialized procedure?"

"You can reignite a Charmander's tail flame with a match, but it would only be a temporary strength boost." Brock explained. "You'd have to treat the underlying problem before its fire burns brightly again."

About then, Tintri addressed the group. [Okay...our Charmander says he is waiting for someone to return for him--he didn't say who, but I presume it is his master.]

Brock noticed Ash's dejected look. "I know...you wanted to help that Charmander. But if he belongs to someone else, it is probably for the best to leave him be for now."

"Okay..." Ash sighed as the group turned to leave. "I hope his master comes and gets him soon."

---------

Later that afternoon, the group hurried inside a Pokémon Center just as rain started pelting the windows. "Whew...we made it to shelter before the heavens opened up!" Misty smiled, relieved that the group did not have to brave the rain.

Brock noticed the glum look on Ash's face as he made himself comfortable on a couch overlooking the front desk and the hall leading to the on site lodge. "Still thinking about that Charmander?"

"Yeah...part of me wonders just how long he's been waiting out there." Ash explains. "Or if he is waiting for a master who will never come."

Laughter snapped the boys to attention. "You just left your Charmander to the elements, Damian?" a dull blond haired boy asked a blue haired boy in a pink, red, and brown outfit.

The blue haired boy smirked. "That little lizard was was so weak, I left him on a rock out in the middle of nowhere...and I have no plans to come back for him whatsoever!"

Ash balked as the boys laughed again. "Wait a minute...the Charmander we saw before, and the Charmander that this Damian guy is talking about...they are one and the same!"

"Stay put for right now...I'm gonna go give our 'friend'--although judging from his behavior, he doesn't deserve to be called a friend--Damian a piece of my mind..." Brock growled, a note of anger in his voice.

Misty approached the red couch Ash was seated on as she watched Brock try to calmly talk to Damian. "Wow... this is the first time I've seen Brock mad before."

"Considering that he's had to deal with nine other kids in the house, he is trying to find a solution that benefits everyone without resorting to yelling." Ash explained. "Although you can hear the anger in his voice. If this were my dad, he would be a little louder, but not flat out yelling."

"THEN WHY DID YOU JUST LEAVE A Pokémon TO DIE?" the group heard Brock yell, bringing all the activity in the Pokémon Center grinding to a halt. "NO DECENT TRAINER DOES THAT!!!! Go back and get him, and treat him with the love and respect he deserves, NOW!!!!"

Seconds seemed to tick by like hours before Damian finally responded. "If you want him, you go get him."

"All right, I will." Brock growled as Damian and his friends departed. "My companions and I plan to give him more love, care, and respect than you ever could."

He noticed Ash and Misty looking at him, concerned. "Come on, guys--let's go back and rescue that Charmander before the rain puts out his fire. His 'trainer' never loved him from the beginning, so let's give him the love he longs for by saving his life."

"Yeah!" Ash agreed as he led the way into the rain. Arceus, I hope we're not too late to save that Charmander!

---------

As the group dashed through the rain, thunder and wind, Misty found a gaggle of Spearow diving at the rock, trying to desperately peck at a leaf shield the Charmander had made. "There! I see him!"

"Tintri, drive off those Spearow with a Thundershock!" Ash called. "Be careful not to hurt the Charmander!"

[HAAAAAAAAH!!!!] Tintri cried as he fired a huge thunderbolt, sending the Spearow fluttering away in panic.

[You risked your life for me?] the Charmander weakly smiled as he braced himself from a wind gust. [Thank you!]

"I couldn't leave you here to await a watery fate." Ash explained as he gently scooped up the Charmander in a fireproof blanket. "You're safe with me, okay? We're gonna do everything we can to help you."

Once sure the Charmander was secure in the fireproof blanket, Ash watched as Brock lit a weatherproof emergency match, then touched it to the Charmander's dim tail flame. "There...this should give it the strength to make it to the Pokémon Center. After that, he's in Arceus' and Nurse Joy's hands."

Misty nodded in agreement. "Let's go--we need to move quickly if we're gonna save this little guy!"

---------

"...and we found out its trainer just left it there to die." Ash explained to Nurse Joy some time later. "Is there a way you can save him?"

"He's very weak from being out in the elements for so long." Nurse Joy explained as she examined the Charmander. "There is a chance we can still save him--you did the right thing by bringing him here. But the procedure to save his life will take a while, so go get some rest for the night. We will do everything we can to save this Charmander, okay?"

Tears welled up in Ash's eyes. "Okay...thank you."

Misty noticed Ash's tears as she led the way to a room in the lodge are. "I know you're scared for that little Charmander--Brock and I are too. But I trust Nurse Joy and her team know what they're doing."

As the group arrived in their room, Ash felt a Super NES controller land in his lap. "Let's get our minds off the Charmander for a bit--you, me, 'Super Mario Kart'?" Brock suggested, the TV showing that he had already chosen Luigi for a 2 player Grand Prix.

"Yeah!" Ash smiled as he immediately moved the 2P icon over to Yoshi...

---------

The next morning, Misty noticed Ash was still fast asleep, despite the sun now streaming in the window. "Did he stay up all night gaming, or worrying about the Charmander?"

"I know just the thing to wake him up...it's almost 10 AM." Brock smiled before finding his referee's whistle and blowing it hard, startling Ash and sending him scrambling to not fall on the floor. "Good morning, sleepyhead!"

"Mm...can we not do any more whistle wake up calls?" Ash yawned as he steadied himself. "I am hungry, though..."

"They're changing over to lunch at the buffet, so get dressed and we'll get a little bite to eat." Misty assured Ash.

Nurse Joy met the group as they emerged in the Pokémon Center's main hall. "Good morning, you three...your Charmander made it through the night, and should be just fine."

Relieved sighs filled the air at this. "Can we go see him yet?" Ash asked.

He smiled as a Chansey wheeled out the now healed Charmander on a gurney. [Here he is--he is quite the fighter!]

"Since this Charmander was officially abandoned by its old trainer, I am releasing him to your custody." Nurse Joy explained. "All you need to do is give him a name, and he is now yours."

Ash studied the Charmander, who smiled at him happily. "Let's see...he looks like a Blaze to me. How does Blaze sound for a Charmander name?"

[I like that!] the Charmander smiled as he embraced his new master...

8. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 17a: Here Comes the Squirtle Squad! (part 1)

Brock grinned as Ash and his new Charmander Blaze snuggled each other. "After we rescued Blaze, he hasn't wanted to leave your side since then."

"Considering his old trainer likely didn't give him much attention, I can understand why he wouldn't want to leave my side." Ash agreed as he gently stroked his Charmander's head with a finger.

He did not, however, notice a hole in the middle of the road. "Don't worry, Blaze--you and I will be friends forever, no m-WHOA!"

Gravely laughter snapped Ash to attention as five small turtle Pokémon wearing sunglasses watched him ease himself to his feet. [Lost in your sweet nothings to Fire-lizard, eh, hat boy?] one taunted, to more laughter.

"Come a little closer and say that!" Ash shot back as he climbed out back onto solid ground again.

After dusting himself off and feeling around him for injuries, Ash located his Pokédex to read up on the five turtles howling with laughter at him:

"Squirtle, the tiny turtle Pokémon. The shell is not merely used for protection. The shell's rounded shape and the grooves on its surface help minimize resistance in water, enabling this Pokémon to swim at high speeds."

Not how I wanted to meet Kanto's last starter, but these guys need to be taught a lesson! Ash thought as he pocketed the Pokédex. I need to keep them out of water, so I'll just engage them on land--just a static jolt to scold them!

He looked over at Tintri. "Tintri, use a static jolt to shoo these Squirtles away!"

[Got it!] Tintri smiled before firing a tiny bolt. But he gasped when he saw one Squirtle jump to shield a Squirtle with more elaborate sunglasses than the others. [What the? That Squirtle has to be the leader, or something!]

Ash heaved a relieved sigh as he heard an approaching police siren. Maybe Officer Jenny knows about these Squirtles...

"Go on! Out!" Officer Jenny scolded, sending the Squirtles hurrying into the brush. "Go on, shoo!"

She noticed Ash still wincing in pain from his tumble into the hole before. "Are you okay?"

"I think so..." Ash replied as Blaze looked up at him in concern. "Just who were those Squirtles?"

"They call themselves the Squirtle Squad, and they like playing pranks on people, often leading to millions of credits in damage." Officer Jenny explained. "I'll show you their profile at the station."

---------

At the police station, Officer Jenny finished writing down the group's statements, then pulled out one particular Pokémon dossier from a filing cabinet. "Your statements are just one more entry on these Squirtles' rap sheet. While they have caused trouble all over town--and the law says that they should answer for their crimes--they never were taught right from wrong. Their trainers abandoned them, so all they do is run wild and play pranks on everyone."

"Is there like, a jail for Pokémon?" Misty wondered.

"There is, but they haven't committed something bad enough to warrant time in there." Officer Jenny replied. "The best we can do for them is community service, so they can win back the townsfolk's trust."

"Do they have names?" Brock wondered. "If they were all owned at some point, they may recognize their names."

"We know four of the five have names--Eddy, Chill, Mellow, and Tear." Officer Jenny explained. "The leader we're unsure about--it has never told us its name, but judging from its voice, it may be a female or a young male--since it never takes off its glasses, we can't know for sure. The only way to confirm its gender is to look at its eyes--females have rounder and longer eyes than males."

She addressed the group. "Now that I have statements from you three, you are free to go. If you manage to spot the Squirtle Squad--or have information about its leader-- let us know."

Ash nodded. "I promise, Officer--I'll make sure they learn that playing pranks isn't nice."

---------

The whiz of a fishing rod snapped Blaze to attention as Misty cast her line into a river later that day. [Can I roast whatever Magikarps you catch?]

Misty smiled. "Sure--you can help roast some Magikarp for dinner if I get any bites."

"Magikarp with Nomel seasoning pairs wonderfully with rice and vegetables, or fruit and nuts." Brock agreed. "Also makes a good soup in the wintertime."

"That sounds amazing..." Ash smiled as he watched the clouds roll by from a small hill.

He was about to doze off with Tintri when a splash and a scream got his attention. The Squirtles!

He got up from the grass and stormed over to the riverbank, where the chief Squirtle was laughing at Misty dripping wet. "Okay, Squirtle! You have some explaining to do!"

[I don't have to explain anything to anyone!] the Squirtle shot back. [Ms. Redhead was taking all the good Magikarp for herself!]

[I think YOU'RE the one hogging the Magikarp!] Tintri cried as he charged at the Squirtle. [Take THIS!]

He did not expect the Squirtle to withdraw into its shell and tackle him, knocking him into the water and getting poked by an angry Goldeen! [OW! Ow-ow-ow!]

Ash watched in horror as Tintri was jabbed by the Goldeen's Horn Attack again and again. "Tintri! Try to swim to shore, if you can!"

To Be Continued...

#28 Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  9. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 17b: Here Comes the Squirtle Squad! (part 2)

He got up from the grass and stormed over to the riverbank, where the chief Squirtle was laughing at Misty dripping wet. "Okay, Squirtle! You have some explaining to do!"

[I don't have to explain anything to anyone!] the Squirtle shot back. [Ms. Redhead was taking all the good Magikarp for herself!]

[I think YOU'RE the one hogging the Magikarp!] Tintri cried as he charged at the Squirtle. [Take THIS!]

He did not expect the Squirtle to withdraw into its shell and tackle him, knocking him into the water and getting poked by an angry Goldeen! [OW! Ow-ow-ow!]

Ash watched in horror as Tintri was jabbed by the Goldeen's Horn Attack again and again. "Tintri! Try to swim to shore, if you can!"

Ash's heart pounded as Tintri tried his best to outswim the Goldeen. I know Pikachu can be good swimmers in a river or a lake, but the sea is a bit of a challenge! Even then, they're headed for a fairly big lake...

He gasped in horror as he saw a familiar tiny yellow form go flying out of the water! "Oh no...Tintri!"

"He landed over there, near where the river meets the lake--come on!" Brock motioned for Ash to follow him.

Ash nodded, and followed Brock through the grass, where he found Tintri with various scratch and jab marks dotting his yellow and brown fur. "Tintri...you okay?'

[I think so...I just hurt everywhere...] Tintri replied, wincing from the wounds all over him.

"It's a miracle Tintri's even alive...that Goldeen gave him a beating back there." Brock explained as he got out the first aid kit. "I'll clean and dress as many of these wounds as I can, but he's gonna need medicine to prevent these from getting infected."

Ash noticed the gaggle of Squirtles was watching him and Brock carefully washing, cleaning and dressing Tintri's wounds. "Squirtles...will you at least let me go to town and get medicine for my companion?"

The Squirtles huddled for a moment, before the chief Squirtle heaved some credits in Ash's direction. [We may be punks, but we're not so heartless as to let a fellow mon suffer.] one commented.

[Have some cash to help ya friend--on us!] another agreed. [Not like us Squirtles can spend it...]

"Thanks..." Ash smiled. Maybe there's some good in these Squirtles after all.

"There...I have Tintri cleaned up, now go take him to town." Brock began as he gently gave Ash the bandaged up Pikachu. "If you have the money, some over the counter meds at a Pokemart will do just fine. Otherwise, there's always the Pokémon Center."

Ash nodded. "Hang in there, Tintri--I'll go get you some help!"

---------

Some time later, Ash stumbled into town, just as battered and beaten as his companion was. "I think I'm gonna need to share your medicine..." he groaned. "First we went tumbling into a river off another rope bridge...then I got attacked by more Goldeens..."

He sighed as he spotted the Pokemart in the distance. "With all the trouble I went through to get you here...what's next?"

He did not expect Gary to slam the Pokemart's main entry door into him! "Ow..." was all Ash could say as he slid off the door into an accordion-like pile.

Gary, meanwhile, was oblivious that the vaguely humanoid "accordion" bobbing by the roadside was his sworn rival. "Huh...someone just left an accordion lying here...let's see if it still sounds any good."

With that, he proceeded to perform a few measures of a Pokémon League commercial jingle before having second thoughts. "Who am I kidding? Accordions are for geeks." With that, he tossed accordion-Ash aside, finally popping him back into 3D...

---------

"...and then Gary had the nerve to 'play' 'Gotta Catch'em All' on me like an accordion!" Ash finished telling Misty and Brock about the chain of unfortunate events a few days later. "But the good news is, both Tintri and me are just fine after resting at the Pokémon Center."

The ringing of an alarm snapped Misty to attention. "There! Some punks are holding up the Pokemart!" She pointed out a group in delinquent clothing hurrying away from the Pokemart with various Pokémon supplies.

Ash was never more relieved to hear a police siren when various police cars and Officer Jenny arrived to begin processing the break-in. "There you are! I managed to locate the hideout of our Squirtles...so I'll let the Leaf Team handle the Pokemart break-in while we deal with the Squirtles."

"So where is the Squirtle hideout?" Ash wondered as he, Misty, and Brock climbed in the motorcycle's spacious sidecar.

"They made their home in a cave in the mountains not far from here." Officer Jenny explained as she gave the group helmets. "But with the rope bridge being repaired, we'll have to take the long way around."

"That's fine..." Ash replied as he traded his cap for the helmet. "I just wanna teach them that it's not nice to play pranks on everyone!"

---------

"I know you're in here, Squirtles..." Ash called as he crawled through the cave. "If you guys want to talk to me, we can work on you guys regaining the townsfolk's trust..."

He jumped when he heard several loud pops behind him as he emerged into an open area of the cave. "Huh? The delinquents followed us here?"

To Be Continued...

10. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 17c: Here Comes the Squirtle Squad! (part 3)

"I know you're in here, Squirtles..." Ash called as he crawled through the cave. "If you guys want to talk to me, we can work on you guys regaining the townsfolk's trust..."

He jumped when he heard several loud pops behind him as he emerged into an open area of the cave. "Huh? The delinquents followed us here?"

Ash's shocked face turned to anger as the three delinquents stared back down at him from the cave's upper level. "Yeah we followed ya here--gotta problem with dat, hat-boy?" one delinquent sneered as his two fellows prepared to rain down more flash bombs.

"Hit the dirt!" Ash heard Brock call. He obediently rolled to the cave floor and covered his head as pops, flashes and bangs echoed around him, Misty, and Brock.

Once the noise quieted, Misty looked up. "Is it over?"

Ash snapped to attention when he heard a cry for help in the distance. He looked up long enough to see the leader Squirtle flipped onto its back. not far from where he, Misty, and Brock had dove for cover moments before. [Someone help me!] it called, aware of the delinquents about to unleash another barrage from above.

"Ash, what are you--?" Misty began as she saw Ash get up and hurry to help the Squirtle.

"Trust me--this Squirtle may be a punk, but I can't leave it here to die at the hands of these punks!" Ash explained before quickly righting the Squirtle, then hugging it close to his chest as more flash bombs rained around him, forcing him to roll again to protect himself and the Squirtle shuddering in his arms.

"Okay...chief Squirtle is safe...now where's Tintri?" Ash wondered as he gently set the Squirtle on the cave floor.

"Oh, this little electric rat?" a delinquent asked as he held Tintri by the neck for Ash to see. "You want him, come and catch us first!"

Ash froze as he saw another wave of bombs about to rain down on the group's position. "Squirtle...you need to get out of here before things get bad. We'll do our best to deal with these punks..."

[Actually, I know a way out of here to save all our skins!] the Squirtle smiled before showing Ash a passageway that humans could comfortably crawl through. [If you three will follow me, we'll get outta here and save your Pikachu friend, K?]

Ash nodded. "Lead the way, Squirtle." he smiled before motioning for the others to crawl through the passageway, being careful to keep the Squirtle in view...

---------

The group emerged from the cave some time later to discover the delinquents celebrating over capturing Tintri. "Hey, that's MY companion!" Ash yelled in the delinquent's direction.

"Who said? This Pikachu doesn't have a collar or anything like that..." one delinquent shot back.

Ash was unfazed by the comeback. "Squirtle, use Water Gun to wash these punks away!"

As the delinquents were washed away in a massive wave of water, Tintri made a flying jump onto his master's shoulder. [Thought I was never gonna escape those punks!] he smiled as the rest of the Squirtle Squad arrived. [I'd take you over those guys any day!]

[That takes care of one problem, now what to do about those smoke plumes coming from town?] Eddy asked, pointing out smoke coming from the town in the distance.

"All those flash bombs those punks had are about to start a fire that could burn down the whole town if left unchecked!" Misty gasped. "If anything, this could be the Squirtle's chance to prove to Officer Jenny they can be heroes!"

Mellow nodded in agreement. [We're done bein' punks--let's show the human officer what we can really do!]

[Less yakking, more rescuing!] the chief Squirtle called to the other Squirtles. [Let's go!]

---------

In town, Officer Jenny watched in amazement as the five Squirtles, with Ash's direction, effortlessly worked to put out the flames dotting the town. "I don't believe it...the Squirtle Squad actually did something good for once!"

Cheers filled the air as Officer Jenny approached the Squad. "Squirtles...thank you so much for saving our town from a fiery fate...how can we ever repay you?"

[I could get used to this firefightin' gig...] Chill smiled.

[Me too!] Tear agreed.

Officer Jenny smiled as the other Squirtles enthusiastically agreed. "Tell you what...for every fire you put out, I'll take off one offense from you guys' rap sheet. So the more fires you put out, the closer you guys get to having your names cleared."

[My kind of community service!] Eddy grinned as Officer Jenny gave each Squirtle a badge and a Squirtle-sized red hat, signalling they were now the town's fire department instead of a group of troublemakers.

"Presenting the cutest fire department around--the Squirtle Squad!" Officer Jenny announced to the townsfolk, to more cheers...

---------

"I'm glad the Squirtle Squad finally learned that it's good to help people..." Brock smiled as the group prepared to leave a few days later.

"Last I heard, the Squirtle Squad are doing very well at putting fires out." Ash smiled as he packed his bag. "Just today, they successfully put out three fires! Officer Jenny's also teaching them the finer points of rescue, as well.

Suddenly, Misty noticed a familiar Squirtle following the group. "I think someone came to say their goodbyes..."

Ash whirled around to find the chief Squirtle running to meet the group. "Oh, you were coming to say goodbye?"

[As cool as it's been putting fires out...] the chief Squirtle began. [I thought about all the good things you've done for me and the Squad...and I wanna go with you--so I can learn to be a better hero, and lead the Squad better.]

"So, you're going to join the team?" Ash smiled.

Misty gasped as the chief Squirtle finally removed its glasses, revealing round and longer eyes compared to the other Squirtles. "Now we know that he is a she!"

"Since Chief Squirtle never had a name, what kind of a name do you want to give her?" Brock asked as Ash and his new Squirtle embraced.

"Her name is Brenna." Ash replied as he hugged his Squirtle again.

"Good choice--that name can mean 'little drop of water'." Misty agreed as she watched Ash and Brenna embrace against the setting sun...

11. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 18a: Mystery at the Lighthouse (part 1)

...I can't believe just how fast I have a full team!" Ash smiled as the group continued down a road a few days later. "I've beat him in that regard!"

"Yeah, but just how many of them did you actually battle and catch?" Misty shot back.

"There was Mina, so that counts, right?" Ash protested.

"Well, okay--even though you technically battled some Spearows bothering Mina, I'll let Mina count for right now." Misty assured Ash.

"Just watch! I'm gonna legitimately catch a Pokémon!" Ash vowed as he prepared to run in the direction of a beach.

A familiar referee's whistle got his attention. "Friendly reminder, Ash--you can only carry a maximum of six Pokémon at a time." Brock explained. "Any extras will go to your Pokémon Storage Account, which you can access at any Pokémon Center, or a professor's lab, if you don't wanna go to the trouble of setting up your own account."

As Ash slumped to the ground in defeat, Tintri noticed a light against the orange, pink, and yellow sky. [Hey, look! A lighthouse!]

Misty immediately recognized the lighthouse in the distance. "And not just any old lighthouse--this is Azure Lighthouse! I know where we are!"

"We've circled back around to Cerulean Cape, so we should be able to head south to Vermilion from here." Brock agreed as Ash lead the charge down the path towards the lighthouse."

"Last one there's a rotten Exeggcute!" Ash called, spurring Misty and Brock to hurry and catch up...

---------

"I forgot...Azure Lighthouse...was a bit of a walk..." Misty wheezed as the group approached the lighthouse some time later. By now, the sun had set, and the stars were now twinkling overhead.

"At least...we can take shelter for the night in here..." Ash agreed as he rested for a moment against a large rock.

"Well, when you're ready, hit the call button at the front entrance." Misty explained. "If someone is here, it should open."

Ash nodded, then approached the front entrance, where a blue button labeled "PRESS FOR ADMITTANCE" was visible in the darkness thanks to the lighthouse's light. Here goes... he thought as he pressed the button.

After a few tense seconds, the front entrance slid open, allowing the group inside. "Hello?" Ash called, to no answer.

"Anybody home?" Misty called, only for her call to echo off the walls. "That's odd...if no one is here, then how come the front entrance opened?" she asked as the front entrance slid shut again, closing the group inside the lighthouse.

"You sure there's no urban legends or ghost stories about this place, is there?" Brock asked, a note of fear in his voice.

Misty just smiled. "Azure Lighthouse has seen its share of colorful characters through the years, but I haven't heard any scary stories or urban legends specifically about the lighthouse. If you wanna hear about sailors rescued by the light, or how the light turned the tide of a war or three, I know plenty of those tales, Mr. Storyteller!"

"You don't suppose there's a phone anywhere in here..." Ash mused as he looked up the large spiraling staircase that seemed to go on forever. "I'd love to update Mom, Dad, or Prof. Oak about our travels so far..."

He smiled when he saw a video phone not far from the massive stairwell's entrance. "Speak of Darkrai..."

Excited, he hurried to the phone, and dialed Prof. Oak's number. After waiting a moment as the screen flashed "DIALING...", the screen eventually showed Prof. Oak taste testing the broth simmering in a pot. "Oh, hello, Ash! You've caught me while I was in the middle of making Combusken and Corphish ramen for dinner!"

"Sounds delicious!" Ash smiled. "We're here inside Azure Lighthouse, on Cerulean Cape...from here, we plan to head south to Vermilion."

"An excellent choice of a route..." Prof. Oak smiled. "Gary called the other day...he's already caught 45 Pokémon, with a Krabby from here as his latest addition!"

"WHOA!" Ash gasped, impressed and also slightly jealous of the number. "How does he find time to train all of them? I've only just completed a full team of six!"

"Remember, Ash--quantity of Pokémon doth not a Pokémon Master make." Prof. Oak cautioned. "You can do very well with just a team of six if you so choose. Some Masters and Mistresses through history managed to do very well with just six Pokémon--or even less!"

"Quality over quantity." Brock agreed. "With so many Pokémon to juggle, Gary may not have time to equally devote to them. So you do have an advantage there..."

"Hm...never thought of it like that before..." Ash mused before changing the subject. "What can you tell us about Azure Lighthouse?" he asked Prof. Oak.

"Have you met Bill, the admin of the Pokémon Storage System?" Prof. Oak asked. "He is often known to come out to the lighthouse..."

"Yeah--we had to help turn him back to normal when his teleporter went awry." Ash replied.

"While he is no professor, his research has greatly benefited my own work, and the greater scientific community." Prof. Oak smiled. "So you would do well to visit with him."

"We will!" Ash smiled. "Send us some of your ramen!"

Prof. Oak just smiled as he started spooning some of the ramen into a bowl. "Once I can see your coordinates at a Pokémon Center, I'll send you what I don't finish tonight. Safe travels, and good night!"

"Bye!" Ash waved goodbye before ending the call.

"Well, if it isn't my rescuers from my teleporter troubles!" a familiar voice called.

Ash whirled around and smiled when he noticed Bill stepping off the stairwell to meet them. "Bill, hello again!"

"We were just talking about you!" Misty was equally surprised. "The professor gives his regards, by the way."

Bill nodded. "I came out here tonight on a tip from one of my colleagues. You three know well that there are a lot more than 151 known Pokémon species--a little more than a thousand are known, if you want to be exact."

"More than a t-t-THOUSAND???" Misty gasped, amazed at the concept of that many Pokémon. Brock whistled in amazed agreement.

Bill nodded. "As people explore other regions, the number of new Pokémon grows, and so does our understanding of the old ones. But there is only one Pokémon I am searching for tonight--one that no one here has ever seen before!"

To Be Continued...

12. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Episode 18b: Mystery at the Lighthouse (part 2)

Bill nodded. "I came out here tonight on a tip from one of my colleagues. You three know well that there are a lot more than 151 known Pokémon species--a little more than a thousand are known, if you want to be exact."

"More than a t-t-THOUSAND???" Misty gasped, amazed at the concept of that many Pokémon. Brock whistled in amazed agreement.

Bill nodded. "As people explore other regions, the number of new Pokémon grows, and so does our understanding of the old ones. But there is only one Pokémon I am searching for tonight--one that no one here has ever seen before!"

"So, what is this Pokémon you want us to see?" Ash wondered as Bill led the way up to the lighthouse's observation deck.

"Or is it even a Pokémon at all?" Misty was equally interested. "Were you able to see what it looked like?"

"The only time I was able to see what it looked like was during a stormy night." Bill explained. "A flash of lightning showed me that it looked avian in nature, with aspects of a Lapras and a dragon. But even now, I'm not sure which dragon type it resembled.

A thought occurred to him. "The weird thing was, moments after I saw its form in the lightning flash, the storm cleared up."

"So a weird dragon bird looking thing that was able to calm storms..." Misty mused. "Doesn't sound like any of the 151 Pokémon I know of..."

"Have you ever recorded its cry?" Now Brock was curious. "Or, since it is bird-like in nature, does it have a song?"

"That's right--if it is related to Lapras, it could be able to sing!" Misty agreed.

"I did hear this being make a sound only once--a beautiful, and yet heroic song-like cry echoing across the sea." Bill remembered. "I wish I had the forethought to record it that night. Having a recorded cry would've helped me or one of my colleagues identify it."

As the group emerged onto the observation deck some moments later, a familiar heroic cry that resembled a song echoed across the starlit sea. "By Arceus...that's it! That's the cry I heard that night!" Bill smiled.

He quickly fumbled for a tape recorder. "Tonight, I remembered my recording gear! So if the being is here, I can possibly record its cry!"

"VideoNav is rolling!" Brock agreed as he aimed his PokeNav out at the water. "If I can get a video of it, that would help your research even more!"

The group watched as a beautiful white dragon bird being surfaced in the water, Brock's PokeNav recording every moment. "Wow!" Ash gasped as the beautiful dragonbird spread its hand-like wings in a display of power, then cried again.

Back on the shore, Team Rocket spotted the beautiful dragon bird over the water. "Wow...I've neva seen a boid like dat before!" Meowth gasped as the dragon bird cried again.

"Imagine how the boss would react if we brought him a Pokémon no one here has ever seen before!" Jessie agreed. "That would pay down our dues for years to come! We could even surpass Archer, Ariana, Petrel, and Proton with a catch like that!"

"Then what are we waiting for?" James smiled as he hit a button on a remote control, revealing that some of the rocks surrounding their outpost were launchers in disguise. "Let's deploy the nets, and catch this dragon-thing!"

Just then, the dragon bird snapped to attention as the launchers whirred into position to fire a net. As the group watched in awe, it fired a shining blue blast of air in the direction of the shoreline, destroying the launchers and sending Team Rocket flying into the starry sky with a ping.

"What kind of an attack was that?" Misty gasped, impressed.

"I'd hate to be on the receiving end of whatever THAT was!" Ash agreed. "Maybe we can ask Prof. Oak about it later?"

"Mr. Dragon Bird, who are you?" Bill called out to the odd being. "Tell me who you are!"

Brock watched as the dragon bird looked back at the group, smiled, then gracefully flew away into the night. "There it goes..." Brock smiled as he stopped his recording moments after he saw the dragon bird silhouetted against the full moon. "At least we have an incredible video to show for it!"

Bill smiled as he received Brock's text with the video attached. "Whatever you do, don't delete that video." he told Brock as the group made their way back inside the lighthouse. "Prof. Oak and others in the scientific community would love to know just what our dragon bird is."

He next opened the door to a suite of bedrooms and his office. "For now, let's get some rest. I'll analyze the video in the morning."

---------

"Any news about our encounter last night?" Misty asked as the group met Bill at the lighthouse entrance the next morning."

"I wasn't able to get its name, but I was able to confirm that it is actually a Pokémon." Bill explained. "Maybe its homeland is somewhere far away from here. What it was doing all the way out here, I'm not sure yet, but judging from how it seemed to smile at you three, I have a hunch you three will see it again.

Ash smiled as Tintri bounded aboard his shoulder. "Well, when and if we do see it again, we'll tell you all about it!"

13. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Traveling Interlude 1a: A Treat Fit for a Queen! (part 1)

"Okay...from here, we should have a straight shot southwards to Vermilion City." Brock explained as the group departed the lighthouse. "Barring any emergencies, we should get there in about two weeks--and that's if you don't stop to see the sights along the way."

A thoughtful look formed on Misty's face. "Well, since I've never been down this way before, what are some of the sights in this area we have to see on the way to Vermilion City?"

"And what are the lame and overpriced stuff we can safely skip?" Ash agreed.

"If we take a little scenic detour at the upcoming fork, we'll reach Chigo Town--so named for its Rawst Berries." Brock explained. "Interested?"

"Mm..." Ash smiled as he daydreamed of a bowl of fresh Rawst Berries covered in a cloud of whipped cream.

"Rawst Berries and cream do sound wonderful..." Misty smiled. "I see no harm in taking a little detour if food or something fun is involved..."

"All right..." Brock smiled as the group approached a fork in the road. "To Chigo Town we go!"

---------

Some time later, the group looked around at the festively decorated town all ready for a festival, only to discover the townsfolk studying their Rawst Berry fields and gardens with concerned looks. "This is weird...the town's all ready for a festival, but there's no celebration going on..." Ash mused. "Wonder why?"

"This year's Rawst Berry crop mysteriously disappeared, traveler..." an auburn haired woman explained. "With no Rawst Berries to offer our guardian, Ashiko, we can't have a festival!"

"Who's Ashiko?" Misty wondered, pictures of elaborately dressed deities dancing in her mind.

"Ashiko is the Ninetales that looks after the village and our Berries." the woman explained. "It is a tradition for the first fruits of the year to be given to her as an offering to kick off the festival."

It dawned on the woman she hadn't yet introduced herself. "Oh, Arceus, where are my manners? I'm Riki."

"I'm Ash Ketchum, of Pallet Town!" Ash smiled. "And my traveling companions, Misty and Brock." he added, prompting Misty and Brock to wave hello."

"We heard about the festival on the way to Vermilion, and thought we'd come check it out..." Misty explained.

"Nice to meet you all." Riki replied. "As you can see, everyone's worried about our missing Berries--if we have nothing to offer Ashiko, she may curse the town."

"Does Ashiko have a den, or does she just appear for important occasions?" Brock was curious.

"She lives near the town shrine at the north end of town." Riki explained. "Ashiko is the ninth Ninetales to watch over the town--which is especially lucky for the town. So to have something happen like this has baffled everyone..."

Ash took a few deep breaths to calm his excitement over potentially knowing who had taken the Berries. "Is it okay if we visit her, even though we are travelers? I have an idea as to who may have taken the Berries..."

"Anyone is welcome to see Ashiko...maybe outside eyes can spot something we've overlooked." Riki mused. "I'll let the priestess know you three are coming."

---------

Meanwhile, in the forest outside the town, Team Rocket worked as fast as they could to stash the stolen Berries in a large hollow tree. "With all dese Berries, we'll need da mudderlode of whipped cream to cover'em all!" Meowth smiled, pleased at the large heist.

"All of this is just the fields and gardens in the north and west of town." James explained as he stashed away another box of the bluish Berries with green tops. "We haven't even touched the fields in the south and east parts of town yet."

"Once we have every last Berry, we'll charge the townsfolk if they want them back." Jessie agreed. "Although I'm not sure this hollow is going to be enough to hold what we still need to take..."

"Leave it ta me!" Meowth assured his human companions. "I found dat hollow tree easy, I kin find ya anudder one to hold what we haven't taken jus' yet!"

With that, he dashed off into the brush, giggling all the while...

---------

In the town's shrine, Ash knelt in respect before a beautiful golden fox Pokémon with nine tails. "Ashiko...we are travelers three that wish to help you find the town's lost Berries." he explained. "Do you know anything about who could've taken them?"

The townspeople are innocent...no one under my watch has taken any Berries. the beautiful fox Pokémon telepathically replied in Ash's head. I will not be so bold as to accuse you three either, as you only arrived today--the Berries were going missing long before your arrival. The thieves have not taken every Berry yet, but I fear the thieves will return for more tonight.

"What do you know about the thieves, Lady Ashiko?" Brock asked as he joined Ash and Misty in kneeling before the Ninetales' beautiful dais.

There are three rogues--and they come under cover of night. Ashiko explained. They only steal our Berries--no other valuables are taken when we discover what happened the next morning. The townsfolk suspect the rogues are two humans and a Pokémon of some kind, but no one has caught the thieves in the act.

"With your permission, Lady Ashiko, is it okay if we set a trap in one of the fields that still has Berries to catch the thieves?" Misty asked.

"Once we catch the thieves, we'll likely know where the other Berries are!" Ash agreed.

An excellent idea. Ashiko smiled. If you need any supplies to build your trap, we stand ready to provide.

14. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Traveling Interlude 1b: A Treat Fit for a Queen! (part 2)

"What do you know about the thieves, Lady Ashiko?" Brock asked as he joined Ash and Misty in kneeling before the Ninetales' beautiful dais.

There are three rogues--and they come under cover of night. Ashiko explained. They only steal our Berries--no other valuables are taken when we discover what happened the next morning. The townsfolk suspect the rogues are two humans and a Pokémon of some kind, but no one has caught the thieves in the act.

"With your permission, Lady Ashiko, is it okay if we set a trap in one of the fields that still has Berries to catch the thieves?" Misty asked.

"Once we catch the thieves, we'll likely know where the other Berries are!" Ash agreed.

An excellent idea. Ashiko smiled. If you need any supplies to build your trap, we stand ready to provide.

The next morning, Misty unrolled a blueprint of a trap idea. "Okay...since I have a sneaking suspicion of who our thieves are, and we know that they come at night, I have an idea as to how to catch them..."

"Team Rocket?" Ash guessed. "What would they want with a bunch of Berries? You can't take over the world with Berries..."

"Knowing these guys, they would probably come up with a way." Misty grinned before motioning for the boys, Ashiko, and Riki to look at her trap blueprint. "We start by burying a fence or a barrier of some kind underground--this will come up when they trip the trap, so they can't get away. In order to trip the trap, either a human foot or a Meowth paw would step on a wire, ringing a bell to alert us it's been tripped, and shining a light on our thieves, so everyone can see them. To prevent an innocent from accidentally triggering the trap, the trip wire can be extended or retracted, allowing townsfolk by. Our trap can also reset itself should it accidentally be tripped, as well."

"But where are we gonna get supplies to build that kind of high tech trap in the middle of nowhere?" Ash wondered. "If we were somewhere in Vermilion, or even Celadon or Saffron, we could do that...

Ask, young one, and ye shall receive. Ashiko replied in Ash's mind before conjuring the needed supplies to build Misty's trap idea.

Ash smiled. "I guess a Ninetales deity could give those supplies to you..." he sheepishly admitted.

If you'll come with me, I know a perfect place to set your trap. Ashiko told Misty before bounding off down a path towards the untouched Rawst Berry fields...

---------

"It took all day to do it, but our trap is ready!" Misty smiled as she admired the faux wood barrier that could be buried underground and raised up in seconds. A trip wire attached to a bell and a light snaked across the path, ready to be armed.

She smiled at the townsfolk that had pitched in. "Thanks for helping us build this trap! Hopefully, we should know who is taking the Berries, and save your festival, tonight!" Cheers filled the air at this.

"Ash and me will keep watch in the guardpost you made." Brock explained to Misty. "Once everyone has gone to bed for the night, we'll arm the trap."

Misty nodded before pressing a button on a remote to bury the barrier under the road. "Is there anyone that will need to pass by here tonight?"

When no one said anything, Misty instructed the townsfolk "We'll need you guys to avoid this area for tonight--we don't want to accidentally trap someone innocent."

"We promise we will find another way around should someone need to pass here tonight." the town's elder replied. I'm hopeful we'll have our harvest back in the morning!"

---------

That night, Ash yawned as he looked out on the moonlight stretch of road where their trap had been armed. "Trip wire is in position, so the barrier will come up once something steps on it." he sleepily told Brock as he watched a Pikachu plush doll sway from a wire in the night breeze. "That, and Misty used a Pikachu doll as bait..."

Voices approaching snapped Ash to attention as he spotted Team Rocket approaching where their trap had been set. Ah ha! It WAS Team Rocket taking the berries all along... he smiled as he prepared to pull the doll away once Team Rocket was trapped.

"Hey, look! A Pikachu's jus' hangin' dere!" he heard Meowth say. "Mebbe da boss will be happy wit' some udder Pikachu..."

Chaos ensued as Jessie tripped the wire, trapping her, James and Meowth, shining a bright light on them, and ringing the bell to alert the townsfolk. "Okay, Team Rocket! Why were you taking the town's Berries?" Misty demanded as she and some of the townsfolk--some of them with Pokémon in tow--approached the sprung trap.

Jessie, meanwhile, seemed unusually calm as she stepped over the barrier and onto open road again. "I must commend you three for your work, it must've been a lot of trouble..."

"But two can play at this game, so we'll pay you back double!" James agreed before hitting a button on a remote of his own, summoning a familiar Meowth balloon from the ground already filled with Rawst Berries!

Misty was just as shocked at the turn of events. "I didn't make the barrier for our trap tall enough!" she gasped as the balloon rose skyward, Jessie and James taunting them with what she figured was the Team Rocket motto all the while.

An idea occurred to Ash when he noticed Brock's quiver of arrows and a familiar bow against a wall of the guard post. Say...if we could manage to pop Team Rocket's balloon with an arrow...

He grinned at Brock. "You thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Balloon, meet arrow." Brock agreed as he found his gear and aimed an arrow at the rising Meowth balloon.

Meet fire arrow, to be extra sure these rogues do not return! Ashiko agreed as she ignited Brock's arrowhead, giving the arrow a gold-red glow from the fire.

After a few tense seconds, Brock fired, making the Meowth balloon go flying in a fiery explosion. Rawst Berry baskets came raining down on the ground moments later. "Our harvest! It's safe!" Riki called as she and some other townsfolk hurried to catch the falling baskets, the Berries unharmed by the explosion moments earlier.

"A wonderful shot, young man." the elder smiled as Brock brought over some of the rescued Berry baskets. "That was a very brave thing you did--and a clever one, too."

"I just did what I had to do to save you guys' harvest, your festival, and your livelihoods." Brock assured the elder. "Given we went to all this trouble to save it, we may as well stick around and enjoy it in the morning!"

"Yeah!" Ash agreed as he and Misty also arrived with Berry baskets. "I'm sure it was well worth staying up late for!" The townsfolk laughed in agreement, blissfully unaware of a dragon bird Pokémon flying over them in the moonlight...

#34 Feb 28, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  15. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Traveling Interlude 2a: Martial Movie Madness! (part 1)

"That was some festival!" Misty smiled as the group continued on their way down the Vermilion road a few days later. "It was nice of Ashiko to give us some Rawst Berries for the road..."

"...and here's hoping Team Rocket doesn't try crashing another festival anytime soon." Ash agreed, leaping onto a rock by road and striking a warrior's pose with a stick for a sword.

Brock stifled a giggle at Ash's heroic pose. "I think you'll be right at home in Maron City, Ash--it is famous for the Hundred Dojos, and the martial arts movie festival they hold as part of a grand celebration each year. It's also the first major waypoint to Vermilion."

"Looks like our scenic detour didn't take that long..." Misty mused. "You said before you knew Raikou style kung fu, Brock--what level are you at?"

"Yellow belt--enough to know the basics and hold my own in a fight, plus fight with a staff if I do need a weapon." Brock replied. "I'm looking forward to learning the bow at blue belt, and the one handed sword at green belt."

He turned his attention to the guidebook again. "The Hundred Dojos, as their name suggests, are a collection of martial arts dojos from ancient times and the surrounding scenery--and many of them still welcome students from all across the world. The city holds a martial arts movie festival as part of their larger Hundred Dojo Celebration..."

The group did not notice Team Rocket listening in from the safety of the brush. "So the twerps fancy themselves kung fu fighters, do they..." Jessie mused. "Hat-twerp doesn't even look capable of even breaking a twig, much less a brick..."

"Playin' ninjas sounds like fun!" Meowth smiled before revealing himself in a Meowth-sized ninja costume. "Jus' call me Nyanmaru of the Neko Clan!"

"Okay then, Nyanmaru--teach us the way of the Pikachu Swipe!" James smiled, giddy about the group's latest heist attempt...

---------

"Wow..." Ash gasped as the group arrived at the entrance to Maron City some time later. "There must be millions of people here!"

"Please, take a souvenir headband as thanks for coming!" a man smiled as he offered Ash a choice of a rainbow of martial artist headbands with various kanji at the center. "Which one would you like?"

"This one!" Ash smiled as he pointed out one particular red headband with a familiar character.

"Phoenix? Okay!" the man replied before draping the phoenix headband in Ash's hand.

"I'll take a dragon one!" Misty smiled as she took a blue headband with a dragon kanji, then immediately tied it on.

"I'll take a Raikou one." Brock replied before taking a green headband with a Raikou kanji.

Once sure his phoenix headband was secure and the kanji was visible under his cap, Ash took a movie schedule as he watched Brock tie on his own headband. "Not sure I've seen any of these movies before...or if I have, it's been a while."

"These are more than low budget movies in the wee hours of the morning..." Brock explained. "Some big names in the martial arts movie scene show their movies here too..."

"Got any recommendations, Master Emerald Raikou?" Ash asked Brock.

Brock chuckled a little, flattered he had been called a master and one of the Eight Spirits. "I've got a ways to go before I'm a Raikou master, but I can tell you which of these movies are worth your time, and what you can skip."

He looked over the schedule of movies. "'The Incredible Gold Dragon' has its high points, but the minuses outweigh the pluses, so only watch if you're a real fan."

"Tell me about it..." Misty agreed. "I was all excited because it involved dragon arts, but the story was boring and the characters were SO annoying! Ended up changing the channel 30 minutes in."

"'The Mightyena's Silver Fist' is good cheesy fun..." Brock went on, looking for a movie worthy of the group's time. "'The Adventures of Dragon and Raikou is okay--I've seen better movies starring dragonborn and Raikou-born partners, though..."

"Yeah...you just know when the dragon character and Raikou character click together." Misty agreed. "As far as cult classics go, 'Twin Blades of Lady Dragon' is actually pretty good in a cheesy way..."

Ash, meanwhile, smiled when he saw one particular movie title in the schedule. "I found our first must-see classic! You HAVE to watch 'Phoenix Brings Judgment on the Black Delphox' at least once if you like martial arts movies!"

"Sounds exciting!" Misty smiled. "I've seen parts of it, but never saw past where Jade Phoenix escaped Black Delphox's lair."

"I've seen a little bit farther than you have--I've seen up to where Jade Phoenix and her friends are on their way to the capital and get ambushed by bandits." Brock admitted. "That point's close to the ending, so I've seen most of it."

"Then I won't spoil the ending!" Ash smiled.

"We've got a while before that one is on, so shall we tour the Hundred Dojos and the rest of the festival grounds while we wait?" Brock offered, blissfully unaware of the Team Rocket ninjas hiding in the Wakunese garden at the west entrance of the town...

---------

"Oh my..." Ash gasped as the group emerged in a massive square where many historic dojos stood proudly among the trees. "All of this is the Hundred Dojos?"

"Yes, all of that is the Hundred Dojos." Brock smiled. "Technically, there's a hundred and four, but they've been called the Hundred Dojos for hundreds of years, so no need to change it now."

"How many of them are open to the public?" Misty wondered.

"Many of them are, including one that a friend of my sensei in Pewter runs--the Bright Raikou School." Brock explained, still unaware Team Rocket, as ninjas, were still following them.

Jessie, meanwhile, listened to Brock telling Ash and Misty about the Bright Raikou School for a moment. "Seems the school tour guide twerp's headed towards is home to a huge emerald called the Raikou's Eye..."

"Imagine how much a rock like dat could be woith!" Meowth gasped, his eyes turning to credit signs.

"Focus, Nyanmaru!" James whispered. "If we're going to find this treasure, we need to pay attention to tour guide twerp a bit more!" Meowth nodded, and followed his human companions through the grass as the group started toward one particular dojo...

16. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Traveling Interlude 2b: Martial Movie Madness! (part 2)

"Wow..." Ash gasped as he looked around the dojo of the Bright Raikou School some time later. The large building looked like every dojo in every anime and martial arts movie he had ever watched, training mats, fighter's implements, and all. "This is beautiful..."

"I'm glad you think so, young one." a man in a dull green master's robe smiled as he met the group in the main hall. "Every one of the Hundred Dojos is a functioning dojo, so even if you do not seek Raikou's path, there's bound to be a Pokémon's path that suits your fancy here."

Brock smiled when he recognized the man. "Master Seiji--it's good to see you again. Master Keiko of Pewter Dojo sends her regards."

"Ah yes, Brock-san...I remember your golden belt ceremony fondly." Master Seiji remembered. "That you shattered the wood block with one punch was impressive indeed! That determination and power will serve you well on your martial arts journey."

"I'm close to the orange belt, but I wanted to see some of the Raikou schools of Kanto first, and learn from their masters." Brock explained. "That, and my companions Ash and Misty wanted to see the Hundred Dojos, and enjoy the movie festival."

"Hi!" Ash waved, stifling a giggle over Tintri striking a fighter's pose on his shoulder.

"Hello." Misty smiled before bowing in respect.

Master Seiji smiled at the phoenix headband peeking from under Ash's cap, and the dragon headband Misty wore. "The bond of the phoenix, dragon, and Raikou is one of the strongest bonds in the world. The Raikou is the earth, the dragon is the heavens, and the phoenix is the spirit. When three people born under these three guardians form a friendship, their bond will last a lifetime, and never be broken. So keep your two companions close, Brock-san, and amazing things will happen."

Ash showed Tintri to Master Seiji. "If Pokémon can be trained here too, could you maybe train Tintri in Raikou's thunder, so he better stands a chance against Lt. Surge?"

"Of course..." Master Seiji replied. "Pokémon are welcome to train in the Hundred Dojos as much as their human companions. But battling Lt. Surge will be a challenge, even though you have earned two badges..."

The group did not notice the Meowth in a ninja costume hurrying back to its two human cohorts, also in ninja uniforms, hiding in a bush. "Okay...after lookin' around here, I've found out dat each an every one of dese dojos have sumthin' valuable to steal." Meowth explained. "So what's stoppin' us from making off with alla dem, and makin' a pretty credit on da way?"

"A wonderful idea!" Jessie agreed. "We could buy the admins and the boss a lavish gift, and still have plenty left over for ourselves!"

"And with the twerps busy, no one will notice that these priceless treasures are gone until too late!" James agreed before following Meowth to the first dojo. "Let's go!"

---------

[Thanks for letting me train under your master's friend.] Tintri smiled at Ash and Brock as the group found a seat in an outdoor screening area to watch "Phoenix Brings Judgment on the Black Delphox" under the stars that evening. [I feel stronger already!]

"One free training session won't be enough to take down Lt. Surge." Ash cautioned. "We'll have to continually train and get stronger."

"And that's assuming that you even find the way in to Lt. Surge's chamber..." Brock cautioned, showing Ash the guidebook underneath the light of a security lamp. "If he believes you are worthy for battle, you have to open his chamber by finding a pair of switches inside an array of trash cans--and where the switches are change every attempt you make at it."

"There's a very good reason why Lt. Surge is famous as 'The Lightning Unovan'." a familiar voice agreed. "His faithful Raichu, Raika, is powerful!"

"Clyde!" Ash smiled as he found Clyde arriving at a seat near where the group was seated. "Fancy seeing you here! What else can you tell me about Lt. Surge?"

"Being a true electric soldier, birds and water Pokémon are at risk." Clyde cautioned. "So think carefully about who you bring in."

"As you knew during our match, thunder won't do a thing to rock and ground types." Brock reminded Ash. "So if you wish, I can lend you Terra, or help you find a Ground or Rock type to sub in for one of you current teammates for the match.

"I'll think about it as we continue on the way to Vermilion." Ash nodded as the lights in the screening pavilion went down, signalling that "Phoenix Brings Judgment on the Black Delphox" was starting.

As the beautiful opening credits rolled over an exciting piece of traditional Wakunese music, no one seemed to notice Team Rocket, battered and beaten, stumbling out of the festival ground to nurse the many welts and wounds dotting their bodies. "Dey didn't tell us dat da Hundred Dojos still took students..." Meowth wheezed as the three Rockets limped for the exit.

"Next time we plan to steal something, pick something that won't have thousands of angry students guarding it..." Jessie agreed, wincing in pain from one of the many wounds peeking from her ripped and battered ninja costume.

She grimaced at Ash, Misty, Brock, and Clyde watching the exciting fight on the screen in the screening pavilion. "We'll let you go for today, hat-boy, but next time, you won't have thousands of warriors to protect you!"

17. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Traveling Interlude 3a: The Trouble With Tanookis (part 1)

"That film festival was so much fun!" Ash smiled as he, Misty and Brock explored another town a few days later. "It's fun taking the scenic route!"

With Ash occupied gushing over all the other towns they had passed through so far, Misty noticed a temple at the top of a hill marking the end of a forested path. "I wonder what that temple is..."

"If you believe the local legends around here, that is the Temple of the Deep Forest, where the story 'The Lucky Tea Kettle' was said to have happened long ago." Brock explained, snapping Ash to attention.

"Isn't that the story about a tea kettle that transforms into a tanooki, and brings a man amazing luck?" Ash wondered.

"That's the one!" Brock smiled. "Let's go get some bento boxes, and I'll tell it--or at least, the version I learned--over a picnic in the park."

"Good idea!" Misty smiled as she followed the boys towards the local park near the center of town.

---------

"Now then, here's the version of 'The Lucky Tea Kettle' that Mom often told me as a kid..." Brock explained before starting the classic Wakunese tale. "A long time ago, when this place was just a small town, there was an old priest who lived in the Temple of the Deep Forest. Like many others in the priesthood, he didn't have much in the way of material wealth, but in his eyes, the simple meals, a cup of tea, and the long hours meditating and studying the holy scriptures that told of Arceus' great love and many heroes of the faith that He called--that was more than enough."

He went on "One day the kettle he used to make tea every evening broke, and he did not know what to do, as a good tea kettle could get expensive in those days. But imagine his surprise when the next morning, a shiny brass tea kettle was sitting there outside his door!"

"I'm sure he was shocked!" Misty smiled as she pictured the priest's reaction.

"Figuring that the kettle was a gift, he gave thanks to Arceus, and decided to make some tea--never mind it was still morning." Brock continued. "But as he was getting everything ready, the kettle transformed into a tanooki!"

"And then?" Ash wondered.

"Well, the old priest knew well that tanookis could be helpful, and they could be tricksters." Brock explained. "So he decided to ask the tanooki what it wanted, and if it meant any harm."

The group didn't realize that Team Rocket was listening in to Brock's performance from a bush. "Well! Didn't know da big twoipe knew how ta mimic me!" Meowth noted as Brock used a mimic of his voice for the tanooki in the story.

"Thy say the temple where the lucky tea kettle story is just up the hill from here..." James noticed. "I wonder if we could somehow get the tanooki to appear again?"

Jessie smirked as she revealed a teapot just big enough for a Meowth to comfortably fit inside. "I have a better idea..."

---------

"...The tanooki danced for hours, waving fans all the while." Brock continued his tale for Ash, Misty, and the growing crowd of townsfolk that were listening. "Once Kazuki said he had seen enough, the tanooki turned into a tea-kettle again."

He went on "The next morning, Kazuki told his wife what had happened, but his wife didn't believe him. So they watched the tea kettle together the next night, and sure enough, it turned into a dancing tanooki again!"

"Wow"s went up at this. "Excited, Kazuki hired a professional showman as his agent, and built a little theater that was a to scale replica of a Tawame stage--red, deep blue, and green striped curtains and all." Brock went on. "Then he gave an order to Yukari, a friend of his who was an artist, to paint scenery. Yukari happily obliged when she heard the incredible story, and painted all kinds of beautiful scenes. She painted the revered Mt. Silver in the background and phoenixes flying through the air, a golden sun shining through the bamboo, a silvery moon rising over the waves, with crystal clouds, dragons, Raikous, and all kinds of other lucky and divine characters and places. Word quickly spread all over town, and the little theater was soon packed to the brim by young and old alike."

He smiled at the excited crowd. "Then Kazuki, dressed up in the colorful clothes of a theater's emcee, came out on the platform, made his politest bow and set the wonderful tea kettle on the stage. At a wave of his staff, the kettle transformed into the tanooki, who danced, sang, played a bansi--the famed Wakunese flute with a sound that pierces the air like a sword--just its size, and performed all kinds of acrobatic feats for the crowd. The audience went wild, and as the fame of the wonderful tea kettle spread, many people came from all across Waku and around the world to see it perform."

"Must've been quite an amazing act!" Ash smiled over the crowd's excited reaction.

"It goes without saying that Kazuki grew immensely rich from the act." Brock concluded the story. "Eventually he stepped down from the stage, and took the old kettle back to the Temple of the Deep Forest again. But this time, the tea kettle was enshrined as a sacred relic..."

He made a grand gesture to the temple at the top of the hill. "...where you can still see it today. If you're lucky, the tanooki just might perform for you just as he delighted many others long ago."

As the now large crowd roared with applause, and Brock took a bow, no one seemed to notice the two figures making their way to the ancient temple with a tea kettle that had a Meowth tail peaking out from it...

#37 Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  18. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Traveling Interlude 3b: The Trouble With Tanookis (part 2)

"I know I said I'd dance for ya, but ya didn't have ta stuff me in a teapot like dis!" Meowth complained from the large teapot as the Rockets made their way up the forested path to the Temple of the Deep Forest.

"Remember the big twerp's story? The tanooki emerged from a teapot--so in order for our scam to work, we need you in here until it's time for you to perform." Jessie explained. "Besides, we don't have much further to go to the temple."

"Well...okay..." Meowth sighed. "But I'd betta get some prime Magikarp or Goldeen as my pay for doin' dis!"

"You can have all the Magikarp and Goldeen you like once we make off with the townsfolk's money and valuables." James assured Meowth. "After we send a share to the boss and the admins, of course."

He glanced around the temple grounds for any priests or miko as they emerged from the forest. "It seems that the residents are off performing midday prayers--let's take the real sacred teapot, and get Meowth into position."

After locating a familiar gold teapot in the temple's main hall and carefully setting it on the floor, the Rockets next hung the teapot with Meowth inside in the sacred teapot's place. "There--everything's ready for Meowth's first performance." Jessie smiled, excited over their impending scam, and the money and valuables it would potentially bring.

The Rockets did not notice a racoon-like creature emerge from the real sacred teapot. "How dare these rogue desecrate my sacred space!" it muttered before hurrying out of the main hall and down the forest path. "I've gotta find the human that told my tale--perhaps he can help me teach these rogues a lesson!"

---------

"What?" Ash gasped as he gawked at a newspaper headline later that evening. "Sacred teapot now home to a Meowth? What about the tanooki?"

An angry look formed on Misty's face as she studied the dancing Meowth and Jessie and James in similar outfits to the man in the story. "Don't tell me that the Rockets have stooped so low as to make money and scam people off of a folktale!"

"Little do the Rockets know that you especially don't get a tanooki mad." Brock agreed. "So if we can find the tanooki, we'll find a way to expose the fraud, and let him reclaim his place of honor in the temple."

He gasped as a tanooki emerged from the brush near the inn the group was staying at. "Is that what I think it is?"

"It is! That's the tanooki in the story!" Ash gasped before motioning for Misty and Brock to follow him to the inn's courtyard. "Let's go give it a hand!"

"How can we help you, Tanooki-san?" Brock asked as he knelt down to the tanooki's level. "I was the one that told your tale..."

A thought occurred to him. "Do you perhaps have a name? Most versions of your tale that I find don't mention a name."

"I do in fact have a name, kataribe-san." the tanooki replied. "My name is Kento--while I want to thank you for telling my tale, I will save that for after you three drive out the rogues that booted me from my rightful place in the temple!"

"We saw the whole thing." Ash explained, showing Kento the newspaper headline depicting the Rockets and Meowth dancing for enthralled audiences. "Those same rogues are likely doing this to Poke-nap my Pikachu, if not other Pokémon."

He looked towards the forest path and the temple, which now had a long line of people. "Although...how are we going to get back up to the temple with all these people here?"

"No problem at all!" Kento smiled as he conjured three green leaves. "I'll lend you some of my Magical Flying Leaves! Just touch them, and you'll be able to fly for a little while!"

"I guess Mario's Super Leaf actually works!" Ash grinned before touching one of the leaves, gaining tanooki ears and a tail in a flash of green light!

"I'm sure you remember what to do to fly as Tanooki or Zigzagoon Mario?" Brock smiled as he too gained tanooki ears and a tail from a leaf. "Get a running start!"

"Thanks, Kento!" Misty smiled as she too transformed. "Let's go teach the Rockets why you don't mess with a tanooki!"

Once sure that Ash had taken flight successfully towards the temple, she too started running up for takeoff, with Brock not far behind...

---------

Kento smiled as the group landed at the temple overlook some moments later. "Everyone's here--nice flying!" he smiled as the group's tanooki forms wore off. "We're gonna scare the daylights out of the rogues, and make'em think this place is haunted. So before I turn you guys invisible, let me explain what you three will do."

He showed Brock a vision of a majestic harp-like instrument on the temple walls. "What I want you to do is play a few pretty chords on the priest's vina--make it look like it's playing itself! No vocals, just play--we want them to think a service is starting or in progress."

"Easy enough." Brock smiled.

"You get to splash the rogues and their Meowth with holy water." Kento explained, showing Misty the box of holy water vials. "Even I know Meowths hate water, so this'll first expose their scam."

He looked at Ash and Tintri. "Here's your part, hat-hero--once the Rockets are good and wet, say the words 'akuryo taisen'--evil spirits, be gone. That's your Pikachu's cue to zap them away. If they try to run after getting soaked, I'll supercharge the thunderbolt so it'll reach."

"Got it!" Ash smiled, closing his eyes as Kento's magic rendered him and Tintri completely invisible for a few moments.

"Okay, go get'em!" Kento smiled--only he could see the group as they made their way inside the crowded temple.

Inside, Meowth jumped when he heard Brock's first D major chord. "Funny...who's playin' da harp in here?"

"What harp?" Jessie asked before she too heard a soft vina chord from seemingly nowhere. "Now I heard it too."

James looked over and gasped when he saw the sacred vina seemingly playing on its own. "I don't believe it...the priest's sacred harp is playing on its own!"

"GAH!" Meowth yelped as a wave of holy water splashed onto the Rockets! "Okay...where'd dis watta come from?" he demanded over the vina's song as the gathered crowd started to leave.

Ash grinned from his position near the temple entrance. Once every innocent was safely away from the temple, he called "Akuryo taisen!"

The Rockets had no time to react before Tintri fired his attack. "We can't see who attacked but we're blasting off again!"

---------

As the group's invisibility wore off, Kento snapped to put the temple's main hall back in order, then warped back into the sacred teapot again. "There...everything's as it should be, so if you'll put me back in my place of honor, please?"

"Of course!" Ash smiled as he gently set the sacred teapot back on the dais where it belonged.

Just then, the chief priest and some of the temple's resident miko arrived. "We came as soon as we heard the sacred teapot and its resident tanooki were missing, but it appears that everything is back in order--including the sacred teapot."

He smiled at the group. "I don't know how you managed to protect this sacred place, but perhaps the tanooki gave you the cleverness and wisdom to outwit whatever rogues were here."

"Aw, it was nothing!" Ash smiled. "Just doing what we had to do to protect this place, and the story that goes with it, which has delighted many across Waku and elsewhere."

The chief priest smiled. "Arceus has blessed you three with a bond that will never be broken--may His blessings go with you on your travels."

#38 Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  19. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Traveling Interlude 4: The Swindlers of the Stage

"Who knew that Tanooki Mario and Zigzagoon Mario were actually real?" Ash smiled as the group got back on the road again the next day. "I wonder what other famous characters from myth and legend we might meet on this trip?"

"We may meet a lot more, and the ancient theater troupes that bring them to life." Brock replied. "Have you two ever seen a Tawame play before?"

"Not really--but I'd love to one day!" Ash smiled. "Those acrobatic acts and fights I've seen in books look cool!"

"You NEED to see a Tawame play at least once in your life!" Misty raved. "I've lost how many times I went to the Suiren on field trips as a kid..."

"Well, if you ever wondered where they get their beautiful costumes from, we're coming up on Feather Town." Brock explained. "It has long been revered for making costumes for the ancient and modern Wakunese theater, thanks to the abundance of indigo plants and other coloring materials."

Then something occurred to Brock. "In fact, Feather Town's abundant indigo fields are how our league--the Indigo League--got its name."

He returned to the guidebook. "In addition to many resident theater companies putting on both ancient and modern plays, you can watch the costumes get made, try on genuine costumes for pictures, and see actual costumes on display in the Museum of the Theatrical Costume."

"Sounds cool!" Ash smiled as he petted Tintri.

[Wonder if they have Pokémon sized costumes we can see?] Tintri mused as he imagined himself on an ancient Wakunese stage of old, delivering a Thunderbolt to a massive Gyarados puppet.

"Only one way to find out!" Ash smiled before hurrying off down the road.

"Wait for us!" Misty and Brock were not far behind...

---------

"Wow..." Ash gasped as he, Misty, and Brock arrived in the town, where seemingly hundreds of portable stages had been set up. "So many stages..."

"That's because all the local troupes here are getting ready for the annual Costume Showcase." a girl with deep purple-black hair in a teal T-shirt and pale yellow shorts replied as she met the group at the town square. "My name's Tena--my family makes the costumes for the Souten Troupe in town."

"I'm Ash--and these two are my traveling companions--Misty and Brock." Ash explained as Misty and Brock waved hello. "...and my Pikachu, Tintri." he added as Tintri bounded on his shoulder.

"We were on our way to Vermilion, and had to stop by when we heard about this place's costume tradition." Misty explained.

"You won't be disappointed--you'll see a lot of talented actors, and equally beautiful costumes, during the Showcase." Tena assured Misty. "If you three need somewhere to spend the night, you can come stay at my house."

The group didn't notice Team Rocket in the indigo fields on the western outskirts of town, picking as much of the plants as they could find. "Why didn't we think of this before?" James mused. "If we use the local indigo to make our own costumes, we could bilk the actors into buying a cheap costume, and we keep the profits!"

"Don't remind me of what happened the last time we tried hording a town's local product..." Jessie shuddered at a memory of the group's attempted trap."

"Relax--I doubt da twoipes wouldn't be so dumb as to try trappin' us like Rattatas again." Meowth assured his human companions as he plopped some indigo leaves into a basket. "Dere...dat should be enough for us to make a rounda cheap costumes."

He noticed the group as they rounded the corner towards the large Museum of the Theatrical Costume, with Tena leading the way. "Looks like da twoipes are busy wit' a tour of town...let's get ta woik before dey know we're here!"

---------

"These are beautiful..." Misty smiled as she admired a blue and gold costume with swirling water designs hanging on a rack in Tena's weaving room later that night. "Is this for the Showcase, or one of the other plays the Souten troupe is doing?"

"That is Sapphire Dragon's costume for the play we are doing--'Eight Spirits' Journey to the Night Castle.'" Tena replied. "Those water designs were not easy to make!"

Ash was about to ask who the Eight Spirits were when the lightbulb went off in his head. "Oh yeah...the Eight Spirits of mythology! Is Ruby Phoenix's costume ready yet?"

"That's actually the one I am working on." Tena replied as she settled before a well loved loom set up with red and gold thread. "Once this is done, I'm doing Jade Beautifly's next."

"I don't think I know about 'Eight Spirits' Journey to the Night Castle'..." Misty admitted as she listened to Brock play a beautiful, soft melody on his guitar in time to the sound of the loom. "They say it has at least seven different versions---so how do you know which version's which?"

"Each version focuses on a different character, and some slight differences in the storyline." Brock explained, still improvising in D major to Tena working. "In order, the versions are Rainbow, Fire, Rain, Earth, Light, Wind, Moon, Snow, and Thunder. While each version of the play tells the same basic story, each one features moments and scenes that may be very different in another version, or may tell the story a slightly different way."

"No matter which version you see, it's an adventure you won't forget." Tena agreed as she looked over a row of stitches. "Maestro, some music please?"

Brock obliged with a mysterious melody punctuated with harmonics. "The show tells the story of White Taillow, a noble rogue that ends up with the map to Nobunaga's castle--known as the Night Castle--and plans to attack the Aiiro City after stealing them from Nobunaga's men while they are too busy carousing in a post station." Tena explained, bemused by Brock playing the traditional melody 'Sakura, Sakura' with harmonics. "Excited at her find, White Tallow runs into one of the Eight Spirits on the road--which one depends on the version of the play you see..."

"What about the Rainbow version?" Ash was intrigued.

"In the standard Rainbow version of the show, who White Taillow meets is random." Tena replied. "White Taillow then tells the Spirit about her find. The Spirit brings them to the Eight Spirits' secret hideaway, where they make plans to infiltrate the Night Castle, and foil Nobunaga's invasion before it ever starts."

"Sounds exciting!" Misty smiled as she watched Tena work, and Brock perform.

"Yeah...it would be so much fun to play Ruby Phoenix myself one day!" Ash agreed as he watched the sun set over the indigo fields...

#39 Apr 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 2, 2023
  20. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Interlude: An Introduction to Adventure

That night, Team Rocket stumbled, battered and beaten, towards the town entrance. "So much for da flimsy costume idear..." Meowth groaned as he and his human companions limped away. "Da people here sure know dere costumes...."

"Don't worry, we'll find somewhere where the twerps can't find us, and the people easily fooled..." Jessie assured Meowth. "But right now, let's rest up somewhere, and plan our next move in secret--we want to be ready when we find the twerps."

"Yes--let's not underestimate the people, either..." James agreed, rubbing his head in pain as the Rockets stumbled off into the rising moon...

---------

Back at Tena's house, Tena tensely listened to a tense conversation on the phone. "Yes...I understand...okay..."

"What's going on?" Ash wondered as Tena returned and began cleaning up her work area.

"We've had several actors call out of our production of 'Eight Spirits' Journey to the Night Castle'..." Tena explained. "First our Ruby Phoenix actor, then our Sapphire Dragon actress, and now our Emerald Raikou actor..."

Ash seemed to swallow hard at what Tena was about to request. "And you believe Misty, Brock, and I could fill those parts? When we know very little about Tawame acting, or just acting at all?"

He heaved a sigh of relief as Tena replied "Oh no, I wouldn't make you three learn such huge parts in one day. Our director has quick plays on hand just in case we can't perform a major production--usually fairy tales work well for a situation like this.

"A folk tale or fairy tale's not too hard to learn in a day or two..." Misty admitted. "But I still wouldn't mind a crash course in acting of some kind..."

"I have just the thing for a crash course in acting..." Brock smiled as he unearthed a box depicting a band of fantasy heroes battling a Charizard inside a majestic dungeon.

Misty was unimpressed. "Chambers and Charizards? That geeky game with all the math? How's that going to teach us how to act?"

"If you'll trust me, I'll show you how." Brock assured Ash and Misty as he opened the box and started setting up the starter adventure...

---------

"Okay...what should I include in my battlemage's backstory?" Ash wondered as he worked on filling out his first character sheet.

"Something that a lot of people tend to do--even experienced players--is tell your character's full story in the backstory." Brock cautioned as he watched Misty fill out her character sheet. "Of course you want to explain how your character got to be who they are, but you also need to keep in mind what their goals are--why do they adventure? Knowing your character's 'why?' is the heartbeat of acting."

"Aldaron's goal is like mine--he wants to be a great hero!" Ash smiled.

"Okay, why does he want to be a great hero?" Brock asked. "Was he inspired by a minstrel's tale to find the one treasure his dad or mom couldn't get? Does he want to make his own mark in the world, and surpass those who came before him? Or is he just enamored by the glory, riches and honor?"

He noticed Ash contemplating his question. "To put it another way, what does being a great hero look like to your character, and what lengths is he willing to go to accomplish that?"

"To Aldaron, he deeply looked up to his dad, himself a great battlemage." Ash explained. "So he wants to carry on his family legacy, and build on the great deeds both his mom and dad accomplished by doing some great deeds of his own."

"There you go! That's thinking like an actor." Brock smiled. "This should inform how you play Aldaron the Red, okay?"

He next looked over at Misty. "Magic Knight--good choice! You get the best of the knight and the wizard, and some cleric spells as well."

"So my question for now is how to write my character's backstory as an actor would, like you were telling Ash..." Misty mused as she stared at the blank backstory section of the character sheet. "Her name is Meri--Dame Meri of the Blue Dragons."

"Okay--what is Meri's 'why'? Brock explained.

"She wants to explore outside her home castle walls, and bring glory to her order." Misty replied.

"Now, what does that look like if you were to ask your character that?" Brock asked. "Is she going forth because her captain asked her to do that, or did she do so by her own choice, with the blessings of her captain. Did a mission for her captain become a journey of discovery? Or is the goal further down the road--fighting in a tournament, slaying a notorious dragon, or bringing a rogue to justice? Or is she just bored by the endless patrols?"

Misty thought for a moment. "She's going forth because she volunteered for a mission of updating the world map on behalf of the king. So she has both the king's and her captain's authority to travel. But secretly, she wants to know what wonders lie outside her home castle walls--and bringing glory to the Blue Dragons can't hurt!"

She looked over the blank weapon slot. "Do I have to wield a sword and shield, or can I wield twinblades?"

Brock studied the chapter in the Dungeon Master's Guide about the magic knight. "The good news is, twinblades can be wielded by a magic knight without training from a rogue to dual wield."

"I see...so if you want another classes' abilities, you have to find someone of that class to train you." Misty mused.

"If you're ready to roll stats and pick starting abilities, I'll check over your character sheets." Brock began as he set up DungeonNav on his PokeNav...

---------

"Now then...welcome to the game, Aldaron the Red and Dame Meri." Brock began. "What we’re going to do here is tell a story, a story that you guys are going to help create." he explained to Ash and Misty. "Each of you has a character, which you introduced to me, Tena, and the Pokémon before. Our story takes place in a world where magic lives, filled with monsters, treasure, and adventure."

Tintri and Blaze cheered in excitement. "My role in the game is the Dungeon Master, or DM, for short." Brock goes on. "I’ll describe what your characters see, and you guys can tell me what the characters do in response. Should you do well, you will be handsomely rewarded. I'll be explaining how everything works as we go, but if you don't understand something or have any questions, just ask!"

More cheers went up at this. "So on that note, let's get going!" Brock smiled as he cued some quiet fantasy town ambiance from his PokeNav...