1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokemon Multiverse: How many worlds

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Wolf Expert, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    So I'll acknowledge that it looks like Gengar's Grin did a theory on this about 4 years ago, but I thought mine was different enough and required enough explanation to warrant its own thread. Not to mention, I don't thin gen 7 had been released at that point in time, and oh boy did that add a bunch.

So to start off, I believe that there are, at minimum, between 65-68 different universes in the Pokémon multiverse. One of those 68 is debatable, and it would be understandable if you would decide not to count it. Two more of them are more theoretical, though I think makes sense for them to exist. So that's why I say between 65-68. Keep in mind, this is across the Pokémon franchise as a whole, not just the main series games. I also want to say that there might be some spoilers here, especially for the Mystery Dungeon games, which are the sources of several of these worlds.

Alright, so this is going to be a long explanation, so to make it not so bad, I made a chart that I probably spent way too much time on. Explanations provided below the chart:

[​IMG]

• Yes, I included our world in this chart. Reason being, in Red/Blue Rescue Team and Gates to Infinity, you, the player, are the main character, transported from this world to the Pokémon world. Also, the original four games included names for real world locations, meaning that the original gen 1 games aren't too far removed from our own world. This is the world I was referring to when I said you could reasonably not count on the list.
    • Each version of the game is implied to be its own world based on the Pokémon available there. There were also substantial changes after green and in yellow, so all four of the original games would count as their own universes
    • In U2 through U7, all games based in regions originally released in gen 1-5 are interchangeable with other games taking place in in the same region, so long as the Mega Evolution mechanic doesn't exist.
    • In U8 through U13, all games containing mega evolution could theoretically be interchanged with other games taking place in the same region, so long as they also contain Mega Evolution.
    • ORAS is where it gets complicated. Especially concerning the Delta episode, but in order to get into that, I need to explain the main conflict of the first Mystery Dungeon games. The Rescue Team games came out during gen 3, meaning that all Pokémon, and only Pokémon, up to gen 3 were available. To beat the game, you need to save the world from a falling meteor by getting help from Rayquaza to destroy it. Later, you can access a dungeon that had been formed by falling fragments of the meteor, where you can encounter Deoxys, which had been inside the meteor. This is the same meteor that you destroy with Rayquaza in the Delta episode, meaning that in some version of of the Delta episode's events, the meteor was sent to another world and, as Zinnea warned, nearly destroyed another world similar to Hoenn. Multiverse theory would confirm that a version of the world where you don't destroy the meteor in the Delta episode probably does exist, but I guess these two "meteor warp" worlds could be considered more theoretical than confirmed.
    • I did include the manga, Origins, and the main series Pokémon anime because none of those really share a canon perfectly with any of the games. Snap is pretty much confirmed to take place in the anime world. A cameo from Ash's Pikachu in Detective Pikachu also confirms that it takes place in the anime world.
    • I think the "Other Universes" are explained well enough in the chart. Those distortion worlds really add to the count though, geez.
    • Super Mystery Dungeon has to exist in a separate universe from the other mystery dungeon games, since mega evolution exists.
    • A split timeline created in each of the Explorers game would have created an alternate universe for each of the Explorers games.
    • The "This complicates things" notes under Conquest is there because Conquest is a crossover game between Pokémon and Nobunaga's Ambition, which is a series created by Koei. Yep, a crossover with a game that's not even owned by Nintendo, which means the Pokémon universe theoretically extends into whatever kind of universe Nobunaga's Ambition takes place in, further giving credibility to the theory that all fictional universes are connected in some way.
    • Let's go Pikachu and Eevee were kind of hard to place. There's Mega Evolution in them, so they could probably take place somewhere in U8 through U13. Since this is just the minimum count of alternate universes, I decided not to count them.

Well, I think that about covers it. Remember, this is the minimum number of worlds in the Pokémon Multiverse. There could even be more involving other spinoff games I'm not familiar with. Theoretically though, there's an infinite number. Every individual cartridge that will ever be owned, and every save file played throughout the existence of Pokémon could technically be considered its own universe and many others probably exist that will either be revealed later or that we might only ever speculate about.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    How about PMD Manga/Anime?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Those are listed on there, but if there are any other worlds in the anime/manga, I might not know about them since I'm not fully up to date.

4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I think I have a simpler view than yours in one of two (update: three) ways:

1) Every single Pokémon game (not only Blue compared to Emerald compared to Y, but every single cartridge and copied emulator file) is a separate universe. How else could two of Brendan battle himself in a link battle, for instance?

2) As far as the main series of games is concerned, there is one universe per version, not including remakes. Or rather, not including the original. The remake main series games are the true version of that universe happening, while the "original" is an imperfect and incomplete periscope into that universe, hence why some species, battle features, and other traits are missing in Red compared to FireRed, for instance. This can be compressed down more to include your co-existing universes such as Red, Gold, Ruby etc all happening in one. Don't ask me how I account for other non-main-series games and media, the Rainbow Rocket summons, or the difference between the "real" universe simultaneously being FireRed, HeartGold, and OmegaRuby. Unless...

3) I just now thought of this. There are only two relevant universes: ours (the one you and I are sitting and typing in), and the Pokémon universe. Every separate game version is our universe opening a visual and interactive portal into the Pokémon universe, with this interactive portal facing some kind of hardware limitation binding it to one region of the other universe at any given time. The technology for this viewing gradually improves as our science marches forward, revealing hidden Pokémon species that the previous version couldn't detect (since they were Hidden or whatever) and the other features that are present in remakes but missing in originals. The reason why we can't go back to Johto right this very second and find out if Audino are there but hidden is a reason similar to satellite imagery: this device can only view one region at a time, and it's in/over Kanto right now, generating its reading of that part of the universe for LGPE (and why the google earth view of your neighborhood hasn't been updated in ten years, but why somewhere else in the world was updated yesterday). The manga and anime could very well be based off the same thing: an artist's impression of what the other universe is like using these readings, but in a non-interactive way.

Long story short for #3 (my favorite, which I think I insufficiently described), there's our universe and the Pokémon universe, and the games and other media are all simulations/renderings based off a very difficult process for computers to handle, updating as our technology improves, and varied as multiple readings are taken.

Jupjami likes this.