1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Resource Pokemon Nicknames?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Nova Ozuka, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I've always been bad at coming up with names for my Pokémon. The best I can always manage is something simple. I also run into this problem when writing up a Pokémon Trainer. I kinda want this thread to be a compiled list of naming ideas for others, so everyone feel free to contribute your own ideas.

I used to name Charizard after Apollo, the Greek Sun God, because of it's Y Mega Evolution. Now I started naming that very Pokémon Helios. It's another sun god in mythology, sure, but it's also the name of a Bakugan which also happens to be a dragon. When it's for my ingame or Showdown teams, I also tend to name my Pokémon after video game characters.

When I make a team on Showdown using Pokémon chosen by members of a website I'm on, I of course name them after the members they were chosen by.

Mega Charizard Y Names
    Apollo
    Helios

Staryu/Starmie Names
    Starfy

Turtonator Names
    Bowser
    Bowletta

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Azelf: Will
    Mespirit: Emma
    Uxie: Melly? Memer?

If you can guess what all 3 refer too you get a cookie. Azelf should be obvious and then make the other two obvious.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I nicknamed my Charizard Smaug.

4. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I make my Pokémon's nicknames pretty complicated a lot of the time. I recently raised a Scolipede that I named Centurion. I usually name my Azumarill Paracelsus after the guy who gave names to elemental creatures, including water nymphs. It seemed to fit a water/fairy type. I named my Togekiss Fortunato a while back and the name stuck. I tend to name Bulbasaur Ceres after the Roman god of Agriculture. I recently named a Pawniard and Bisharp Durandal after a famous sword from French literature and Ulfberht after a sword that was once used exclusively by high ranking vikings. Lots of historical/mythological references in my names.

Aside from that, I also named a Tepig Patch. I was watching a Rick and Morty theory on Evil Morty when the eye patch was brought up and I thought Patch sounded cute.

Willpower, emotion, and memory?

5. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I usually have a theme going when it comes to nicknames. For example, every Pokémon I've caught here on LV is named after food and beverages. Meanwhile, the Pokémon from my Sun play-through were all given Hawaiian names, for obvious reasons, and the Pokémon from my Alpha Sapphire play-through were named after Final Fantasy characters, because why not. :P

6. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    If you look at my list of caught Pokémon on LV (aside from the tests; those served a different purpose) you might be able to see a pattern to them. For instance, Alolan-Geodude is called Rock Lee not just because of Geodude being a Rock-type Pokémon but also because its large eyebrows are remeniscient to that of the ninja of the same name from Naruto. On the other hand, my Hoppip is named "JWittz" as homage to one of my favorite YouTubers, whose signature Pokémon is Hoppip.

7. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    The nicknames I give my Pokémon are usually ..dumb. I named my rowlet egg so now i have a decidueye named egg. Sometimes it’s based on their type tho. I had a typhlosion named cinder and usually if I have a gengar it’s named Grimm.

8. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I look up names relating to their typing/appearance usually. For example, I named my Magnezone "Farad" after the unit of electricity for capacitance, and my Decidueye "Renshaw", which roughly translates to "Raven Woods". (Yes, I know Decidueye is an owl not a raven XD)

Other times I name my mons after famous people/characters. For example, I named Solgaleo "Voltron" because it's a metal lion (I HAD DECIDED ON THIS NAME BEFORE I LEARNED ABOUT NEBBY OKAY).

9. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Funny, I always give my Pokémon silly nicknames related to their type or species. I mean, just look at my collection (Ponyturd is a prime example)! Other examples in game are an Eevee named Steevee, my Fennekin named Megan (Fox), a Frogadier named Sgt. Frog, a Sneasel named cold... the list goes on.

10. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I usually give my Pokémon names related to their types and such. Some of the best names I could think of came in my playthrough of AS that became a fanfic as well. For instance, naming my Sceptile "Forest" and my Mightyena "Raven" because of the type. Sometimes I get more creative, like naming my Gardevoir "Athena" after the Greek goddess of war and my Azumarill "Pikablu" because Pikablu.

11. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    I nicknamed my Grimer 'Sweat' and I think it suits him best.

12. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    I names my Litten 'Rudy' because Yo-Kai Watch references.

I also named my Lurantis Cerise (cause Cerise means cherry, and I thought it sounded fitting?)

13. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    Lurantis sure is a cute Pokémon, yes. Keeping its colour in mind, Cherry is a nice name.

14. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I forgot I had one for Pichu's line. When I was choosing my Pokémon Partner for Super Mystery Dungeon I chose a female Pikachu and I got the Japanese name Yumiko from a random name generator. I combined the two to create the name Chumiko.

15. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    @ShinigamiMiroku Heh, I have a Eevee named CandyEvie :3

My Pokémon are full of different references name-wise
    Some of them are named after Pokémon I have/used in main series games (BuddyJr, CC Jr, Skylar, Sparkx, Maximus, ect)
    Some are named after other video game/movie/book characters or subjects (Slytherin, Remi, Qbert, Bubbles, DigDug, Fae, ect)
    Others are completely random internet jokes (RegrettiSpagetti, Ron, Becky, Pikablu, CoolTent, Lord Helix, Roundabout, RickGastly, ect)

Also, JOJO (Roundabout, R.A.T., Mista, Dio)

16. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I have a Ninja Trainer I'm planning to introduce in Pokémon Resonance, but I'm having trouble naming his Pokémon. His team is Greninja, Skrelp/Dragalage, Zorua/Zoroark, and Rowlett/Dartrix/Decidueye. I was also debating on giving him an Infernape. As for his Sixth, I got no idea. Maybe something found in Kanto since he had been training under Janine, the Fusha Gym Leader. I was going to name his Decidueye Robin, but I decided I should save it for myself just in case I use one on my team.

Any suggestions for the Pokémon I have so far?

17. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,279.6
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Gods and mythical monsters are often in my picks. Some Pokémon have taken nicknames of their own though and I stick to them:

Hariyama: Bas or Rutten after one of my favorite fighters (link). He fought with open hand strikes so it seemed very fitting.
    Kecleon: Nox or Tox after an old story of mine.
    Miltank: Mooby, as an odd reference to Moby I guess?
    Psychic Pokémon: Various ones in Nuzlocke runs have inherited the nickname Fluke

18. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I had a torchic named Fire Warrior

19. Princess Victoria

Zelda
    (Ralts)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽231.1
    My Vaporeon is named Ariel (after Princess Ariel in the Little Mermaid), and my Espeon is named Abigail, after my cousin who gave me an Espeon plushie to keep me company when I was 7-year-old girl in the hospital.

20. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    I often just name my Pokémon after something related to them, their Pokédex entries, or their personalities. An example of one of my nicknamed 'Mons is Leavanny, 'Taylor', since it often stitches leaves together to make cloaks for Sewaddle, like a tailor, and Taylor can be a male or female name. It just works perfectly.