1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fanfiction Pokemon Shine Diamond

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by WavePearl, Feb 14, 2018.

1. WavePearl

PokéPoints:
    ₽5,079.9
    Episode 33: The Grass Menagerie

"You're here...good." Gardenia smiled as the group arrived in a large spacious arena that resembled a forest. "Here's how this will work--three Pokémon a side, single match. Is that okay?"

"Fine by me." Ash replied as he hurried to the Diamond side of the arena.

He nudged Tintri. "You're not mad for sitting this match out?"

[Not at all.] Tintri smiled. [I wouldn't be able to do much against Grass-types anyway.]

With that, he hurried to join Dawn and Brock in the stands. [Good luck!]

---------

"Sakura, let's go!" Gardenia heaved a Poké Ball into the arena.

"Diddy, I choose you!" Ash heaved a Poké Ball skyward, revealing the Chimchar on the Diamond side of the arena. "Start with an Ember!"

He grimaced as the Cherubi twirled away from the small fireball. "Okay, let's heat things up with a Flame Wheel!"

Brock watched as Sakura flew over the large flaming wheel and landed behind Diddy. "Wait a minute...Sakura's going so fast because of her ability."

"Oh?" Dawn asked.

"Cherubi has the ability Chlorophyll, which relies on sunlight to double speed." Brock explained.

[Whoa!] Diddy gasped as Sakura fired a Solar Beam, jumping away from the massive yellow beam.

"Focus, Diddy! Try Flame Wheel again if you can!" Ash called.

He gasped as the Cherubi fired another Solar Beam, hitting Diddy and knocking him down. "H-how?"

"You forget that Solar Beam needs no time to charge in sunshine." Gardenia reminded Ash. Combined with the double speed, Sakura can get off two attacks in one turn."

Ash shuddered as the Cherubi created a wave of shining leaves. I'm not leaving Diddy to be a sitting Psyduck! he thought as he called his Chimchar back.

"Good call. Luckily for you, Sakura's Solar Beam only clipped Diddy." Gardenia assured Ash. "Remember that sometimes the better part of valor is discretion."

"Point taken." Ash replied before finding his next Poké Ball. "Estrella, let's take flight!"

"Eh-streh-yah!" Brock corrected Ash, making Gardenia giggle as the Staravia materialized in the arena.

Ash watched Gardenia's Cherubi launch another Solar Beam. "Watch out, Estrella! Get close and use Wing Attack!"

He growled in frustration as the Cherubi leaped away from the oncoming bird Pokémon. It fired a Solar Beam, trying as best it could to hit the black and white bird. But the shining ball fizzled out as clouds obscured the sun. Thank you, Arceus! Ash grinned.

He noticed Gardenia's Cherubi conjuring another Magical Leaf. "Estrella, take flight!"

Both competitors and the audience watched in awe as Estrella raced straight up, away from the Magical Leaf. She waited for a moment for the sun to return, watching it force the Cherubi to shield its eyes.

She folded her wings and raced back to earth, striking the Cherubi with Aerial Ace to knock it out.

---------

"Sakura, come back." Gardenia commanded as she recalled the fainted Cherubi. "I will commend you for turning Sakura's strength to your advantage. Thinking outside the box will take you far."

"Thanks." Ash smiled. "Who's next?"

"Peony, I choose you!" Gardenia next summoned her Turtwig.

Estrella let out a disgusted squawk as the small turtle-like Pokémon appeared. [I have a bone to pick with Sprout-turtle there...]

"If you have a score to settle, this is your chance." Ash told Estrella. "See if you can get in a hit on Peony."

[HAAAAAHHH!!!] Estrella screeched as she streaked at Peony. But Peony jumped away, forcing Estrella to loop back around.

"Circle around and try to use Wing Attack again!" Ash called.

Gardenia grimaced as she watched Peony leap back to avoid Estrella. Estrella would then loop around and dive at Peony again. What's Ash doing? Why is he not changing tactics?

Ash, meanwhile, grinned as Peony ended up getting wedged into a tree. There was a method to my madness. If your Turtwig dodged enough times, it would get stuck in the tree, leaving her vulnerable!

He smiled as Estrella slammed into the Turtwig. "Game over, Peony."

"Not so fast!" Gardenia countered. She watched Peony fire a volley of glowing green seeds, draining Estrella's strength.

[Ash...I'm...sorry...] Estrella wheezed before fainting due to the Leech Seed.

"It's okay...you did your best." Ash assured the Staravia before recalling it. "Diddy, welcome back!"

[HAH!] Diddy leaped to scratch Peony, only to be smothered in leaves.

As the Leaf Storm swirled around him, he noticed a tree near the arena's edge. [Leaf-turtle can't get me there!]

He scrambled up to one of the middle branches as the Leaf Storm slammed onto the safety barrier. [Missed me!]

[Oh yeah?] Peony countered before firing more Leech Seeds up into the tree, seeding Diddy.

Ash made a T signal to the referee, then motioned for Diddy to come down and receive a Potion. "You okay?"

[I did NOT expect Leaf-turtle there to shoot Leech Seeds up here.] Diddy grumbled.

"You've almost got Peony, so hang in there for a little longer." Ash assured Diddy as his time out expired. "Now, go get her!"

"Peony, use Leaf Storm!" Gardenia called.

Diddy leaped away from the swirling leaves and into the sun; slamming down on top of Peony with a massive THUD. "Peony is STILL standing after such a massive attack?" Dawn gasped as both the Chimchar and Turtwig charged at each other.

Gardenia watched as both Pokémon collapsed in exhaustion just before impact. "Well done." she smiled as she recalled Peony. "I have to commend your courage and your love with each of your Pokémon."

"That's how I got this." Ash smiled, showing Gardenia his Mega Ring. "Be glad I don't have any Pokémon I can Mega Evolve yet!"

"Mega Evolution or not, your final opponent is a Pokémon of mine you've never met before. But you will eventually receive one." Gardenia replied before heaving another Poké Ball skyward. "Tsubaki, here we go!"

"A Roserade?" Dawn recognized the flower-being Pokémon Gardenia had summoned. "Ash's two advantaged Pokémon are down, and Tintri won't help."

Brock smiled as Ash summoned Tails, Tails emerging with a heroic backflip. "Ash may stand a chance with Tails, as the Buizel family has some Ice attacks open to them. But using Tails is also a double-edged sword, as he does have a type disadvantage."

"I will admit that Tails does know how to put on a show when he appears." Dawn smiled. "If he ever wants to try out a contest, I can do that!"

---------

"Tails, try Double Team!" Ash called.

He balked as Gardenia's Roserade heaved a giant vine, destroying all the duplicates! "Look out!"

[Relax, I've got this.] Tails assured Ash. With that, he leaped over the massive knot and fired an Ice Beam.

The Roserade heaved a flurry of Magical Leaves, but Tails wove through all the shining leaves. "Tsubaki, blind the Buizel with Flash!" Gardenia called.

Even Ash shielded his eyes. "Tails, try another Ice Beam if you can!"

[No go--I can't see a thing!] Tails called back as he groped about the arena.

"Tails, listen up." Ash began. "While we wait for your eyes to recover, you can rely on your other senses to sense what's happening."

Tails nodded. [Okay...I'm hearing a humming, crackling noise...]

"That's Weather Ball!" Ash gasped when he saw the Roserade charging a flaming ball. "Try using Ice Beam as a shield!"

He grinned as Tails created an icy shield, blasting the Roserade by its own Weather Ball. "Eyes doing okay?"

[Yeah...things are coming back into view...] Tails reported as he rubbed his eyes.

He noticed a wave of familiar shining leaves, and counter with a Swift attack. The shining stars managed to surround the Roserade. [I think it's time to chill!] Tail taunted as he fired an Ice Beam.

"That was so cool, if you'll forgive the pun." Dawn raved. "It would look great as an appeal."

"I'll say." Brock smiled.

Tails fired another Ice Beam, slamming the Roserade into a tree. "Pearl is unable to battle." the ref announced. "The winner is Diamond."

Ash ran to hug Tails. "You did it! Even though we had the disadvantage, you managed to come through for me."

[Aw, it was nothin'.] Tails smiled.

---------

"Ash...in recognition of your creative tactics, and your courageous heart; I award you the Forest Badge ." Gardenia smiled as she offered Ash a green badge that resembled a group of trees.

"Thank you." Ash smiled as he accepted the badge, admiring its yellowish glow in the fading sun.

"Go on, show the world what you did." Gardenia smiled. "Shout it from the treetops!"

Ash smiled, and held the Badge high as his friends and Pokémon surrounded him. "I got a Forest Badge!"

To Be Continued...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

PokéPoints:
    ₽5,079.9
    Episode 34: Chu Times Two

"Woo-hoo!" Ash's excited cry rang through the air as he led Dawn and Brock down a bike trail. "This is just like the Cycling Road at home!"

"I know, right?" Brock called back.

[Whee!] Tintri squeaked as Ash weaved around a corner, enthralled by the trees and forest racing by.

[This is fun!] Kori agreed as the group broke single file formation long enough to discuss their next move.

"Doing okay, Hinata?" Brock asked the Vulpix peeking out of the basket on his bike.

[Very much.] Hinata smiled as she stretched, then fanned out her six tails. [This Cycling Road is more a scenic trail than the long drop at home.]

Brock smiled in agreement, then retrieved his guidebook. "Okay...now that Ash has the Forest Badge, Dawn can compete in her next Contest. As Zoey told us before, that's in Hearthome City."

"You think Cycling Road goes all the way there?" Ash asked. "The views here are awesome!"

"Actually, this Cycling Road ends at the town before Hearthome, so we can't ride all the way there." Brock replied.

"Besides, these bikes are rental bikes anyway." Dawn added as she took a moment to readjust the metallic blue bike helmet she was wearing.

A rumble in the distance got her attention. "That sounded like thunder..."

"Is it okay if I can lead for a while?" Brock asked. "There should be a Pokémon Center up ahead, so let's get back in single file and be on our way before a storm hits."

"Lead the way, Brock." Ash smiled as the group set off again.

---------

"There it is..." Brock pointed out a familiar red roofed building by the trail.

Ash noticed that the lights in the building were off. "You sure this Pokémon Center is open?" he asked as he chained his bike to a bike rack.

"I'm sure." Brock replied. "It's very rare for one to close down, and rarer still if it happens without notice."

"Okay..." Ash replied as the group made their way up the path.

As the door whirred open, Ash called "Hello, anyone here?" into the lobby, wincing at all the boxes, paper, trash, and other junk cluttering the floor.

[You'd think they'd do a better job keeping clean...] Tintri agreed.

Ash spotted a Chansey arriving with a bucket and mop. "Hey..do you know where Nurse Joy is?"

The Chansey sighed. [She's outside, in the yard. But good luck getting through to her...]

"That's odd, normally Nurse Joy is a happy and pleasant person to be around..." Dawn mused as she led the way out a back door into a yard. Nurse Joy was sitting against a tree, sighing as she looked out on the trail and the ominous clouds.

"Is everything okay?" Dawn asked as the group approached. "I'm Dawn, and these two are my companions, Ash and Brock."

Nurse Joy sighed again. "I hope you'll forgive the state of the Pokémon Center. Ever since the Cycling Road opened, people zoom right past it. I've wondered if I should even keep it open at all..."

"So, no one ever wants to stop here because they're too excited to see the entire Cycling Road in one trip?" Brock asked to make sure he heard Nurse Joy correctly.

Nurse Joy nodded to confirm Brock's suspicions, tears shining in her eyes. "I've worked so hard to build this Pokémon Center, but why do I continue maintaining a place no one ever stops at? All my hard work's been forgotten. Maybe this place is better off forgotten...forgotten by the whole world."

"That's not true." Brock assured Nurse Joy as he started off towards his guitar case. "Maybe a song will cheer you up?"

Ash noticed that a mysterious blob was moving around in Brock's bag. "Is there something in there that should be moving?"

Piqued, Brock found the pocket the bulge was located in and unzipped it. He balked when a Pichu wearing an elegant red hat with a white plume and matching red cape emerged. [Hi!]

"Tarina?" Brock gasped when he recognized the Pichu. "How did you get here?"

[Simple--you left that pocket open, so I climbed inside.] Tarina replied.

Brock weighed the pros and the cons of punishing Tarina. On the one hand, I was expecting her to stay home. But I did leave that pocket open for her to climb inside, so I share some of the blame too...

A smile formed on his face. Since he had left the pocket open to begin with, Tarina's journey wasn't worth punishing. "Okay...you can come with us, but the next journey I go on, you can come if you ask first, okay?"

[Yay!] Tarina cheered as she hurried to hug Tintri.

Dawn, meanwhile, read up on the tiny mouse Pokémon as she watched Tarina and Tintri embrace:

"Pichu, the tiny mouse Pokémon. Despite its small size, it can zap even adult humans. However, if it does so, it also surprises itself."

"Thankfully, Tarina's getting better at holding her power, thanks to training and effort." Brock grinned.

Dawn felt a wet spot on her arm as more thunder rumbled. "We need to get inside, it's starting to rain."

"Let's go inside, Tarina--then we'll look you over and clean you up." Brock assured Tarina as Ash led the way inside.

---------

"Okay, Tarina...let's get you a bath. You probably have gunk all over you from being in Brock's bag for so long." Ash smiled at the Pichu patiently sitting on the exam table.

He looked through the cabinets in the exam room for something to use as a Pichu sized tub. "This okay?" he asked, showing Brock a large bowl.

"That works fine." Brock replied. "Next we need some warm water and plenty of clean towels."

"Ow!" Ash yelped as Dawn arrived with some towels. "I need to cool that down a bit." he admitted as he added some cold water. "Brock would never forgive me if I burned Tarina."

Nurse Joy, meanwhile, examined Tarina's ears to finish a general exam. "Okay...both of them are clean and healthy."

She reported to Brock. "Whatever you do to care for Tarina, keep doing it. Her vitals are great, energy levels are perfect, and she's none the worse for wear."

"Your bath's ready, Tarina!" Dawn called.

[Coming!] After hanging up her cloak and hat on the hooks by the exam table, Tarina jumped in the tub with a splish.

"Come here, sweetie..." Brock coaxed as Tarina paddled up to him.

[Who's the girl with you guys?] Tarina asked.

"That is Dawn--she is a coordinator like May." Brock replied as he started lathering soap in Tarina's fur.

Inspired, Dawn heaved all her Poke Balls skyward. "You guys, I have someone for you to meet!"

"And you guys!" Ash also heaved his other Poke Balls skyward.

Brock noticed the crowd of Pokémon in the room. "Most of my team you know already, but I have a newcomer too."

He then heaved a Poké Ball skyward. "Kage, I have someone for you to meet!"

[You called?] Kage asked as he materialized near the tub. [Who's this?]

"This is Tarina--I adopted her after a gig back at home." Brock told Kage as he lathered Tarina's fur a little more.

[You always did have a heart for the little ones, coach.] Kage smiled as Brock rinsed Tarina off.

[Why does Kage call you 'coach'?] Tarina wondered.

"He knows very well he is a part of a team, and the leader of a team is called a coach." Brock replied.

He looked out at the crowd of Pokémon before the tub as Tarina shook off the excess water from her fur. "Why don't you guys introduce yourselves?" he told Dawn's Pokémon.

[Hi, I'm Kori!] Kori chirped.

[My name's Lola.] Lola smiled. [Nice to meet you!]

[I'm Stormy!] Stormy chittered.

[Kori...Lola...Stormy....and Dawn.] Tarina mused. [Did I get everyone right?]

"You did." Dawn replied.

Tarina giggled a little as Brock scritched her left ear. "Now it's time to meet the newcomers on Ash's team."

[I'm Estrella.] Estrella began.

[My name's Gaia.] Gaia smiled.

[Hey there! I'm Diddy!] Diddy grinned.

[I'm Tails--pleased to meet ya, little girl.] Tails smiled.

"And you know me and Tintri." Ash smiled as Tarina hopped out of the tub.

[Gaia...Tails...Diddy...Estre-yah?] Tarina asked. She looked up to Brock to make sure she had pronounced Estrella correctly.

"That's right." Brock replied as he dried Tarina off. "Two L's are pronounced like a Y in Spanish, remember?"

"Something Ash tends to forget." Dawn smiled.

Ash took Dawn's comment in stride. "You got everyone--and of course, you know me and Tintri!"

"Here you go..." Brock gave Tarina her hat and cloak, then addressed Nurse Joy. "Because of you, Tarina was found safe."

Nurse Joy blushed a little. "Oh no, I should be thanking you..."

[It's lunchtime--I'm sure our guests are hungry.] the Chansey smiled as she rubbed Nurse Joy's back.

[Yay! I'm starved!] Tarina led the way down the hall to the dining area.

"You don't have to worry about Tarina--she has no known food allergies, and is very open to trying new things." Brock assured Nurse Joy.

---------

"Here we are--what I like to call the Kindergartener's Charcuterie." Brock smiled as he set a plate before Tarina. "It's ham, turkey, and roast beef slices, some cheese cubes, and some Berries. Tarina prefers to call it the 'everything plate'."

"So far, I've got two Badges, Dawn has a ribbon, and Brock earned a jewel in the Fantasy Stage." Ash explained. "They're not real jewels--just plastic trinkets."

[What's a Fantasy Stage?] Tarina asked as she bit into a Leppa Berry.

"A Fantasy Stage is a competition for musicians and storytellers, only you also get to dress up." Dawn explained.

"Yeah--all the competitors wear beautiful minstrel costumes, in keeping with the 'fantasy' part." Brock explained. "I'll show you my costume later."

"Speaking of costumes..." Nurse Joy smiled as she delivered plates of meatloaf to the others. "Tarina resembles a red mage from 'Final Fantasy' in her hat and cloak."

"Well, Tarina sees herself as a hero, so not long after I adopted her, I bought her those at a summer festival." Brock explained. "She apparently had had a hat and cloak like it, but they had been lost somewhere. She almost never takes them off, except for bath time and bedtime."

"She looks very much like a hero." Dawn smiled before offering Tarina a bite of her meatloaf.

[Mm...] Tarina smiled before returning to her half finished "everything plate".

She looked outside to see that the skies had cleared. [The rain stopped! Can we go play outside?]

"We'll go play after we finish lunch, okay?" Brock assured Tarina between bites of his own food.

---------

[So, what kinds of games do you like, Tarina?] Tails asked as the group's Pokémon huddled outside some time later.

[I do like a good game of hide and seek...] Tarina replied. [That okay with everyone?]

[YEAH!!!] the other Pokémon cheered.

[What's the highest number you can count to?] Gaia asked.

[A hundred should be plenty of time for everyone to hide, but I can go higher, if you like.] Tarina replied.

[A hundred's fine by me.] Kage grinned. Diddy nodded in agreement.

All the Pokémon scrambled to find a hiding place as Tarina started counting. [One...two...three...]

---------

[...ninety-seven...ninety-eight...ninety-nine...a hundred! Ready or not, here I come!] tarina's tiny voice rang across the yard some time later.

She grinned when she saw Tintri's tail peeking from a bush. [Ah-ha!]

[Okay, you found me.] Tintri smiled as he emerged from the bush.

Tarina next spotted Kori in a flower pot. [Found you!]

[You're good at this.] Kori giggled.

Neither Tintri or Kori expected a mechanical arm to grab Tarina! [What in the...?] Kori gasped.

Ash hurried into the yard and gasped when he found Mars and Jupiter looking back at him from a hovercraft. "Where is Tarina?" he demanded.

"Oh, this little red mage rat?" Mars smirked as she held Tarina up for Ash to see, Tarina wailing in fear all the while.

"We plan to use her energy to bring about Team Galactic's new world, thank you." Jupiter explained.

Ash growled as the other Pokémon emerged from their hiding places. "Tintri, use Thunderbolt!"

"Noctis, use Poison Sting!" Jupiter called, sending both the humans and the Pokémon scrambling for cover from the poisonous barbs as they flew away...

---------

"...I told Tintri to use Thunderbolt, but Jupiter told Noctis to use Poison Sting. That bought them time to get away." Ash finished explaining what had happened to Brock some time later.

He whistled for Estrella. "Estrella, think you can find Tarina?"

[The admins went to the north, so I'll start there.] Estrella replied as she soared away.

Nurse Joy burst into tears. "I am so sorry your little one was taken from you! This is all my fault...admit it, I'm a failure, aren't I?" she asked Brock between sobs.

"No, you're not." Brock replied as he watched several wounded and sick Pokémon emerge from the brush. "Even if no one ever comes here, the forest Pokémon need you too. You play an important role in making sure they survive."

A weak smile formed on Nurse Joy's face. "You're right. I could ask any of the Pokémon rescues in the area if I could help provide medical care free of charge."

"That's the spirit!" Brock smiled as he administered an Antidote to a sick Bidoof. "All Pokémon need you to take care of them."

"Really?" Nurse Joy smiled. "You're right--I've been so hung up on the lack of human traffic, I forgot that my main service is to the Pokémon."

She hugged Brock. "Thanks you...for helping me rediscover why I became a nurse to start with."

Brock was about to answer when he spotted Estrella. "Where's Tarina?" he asked.

[Follow me--their hideout's to the northwest, in the forest!] Estrella called.

"I'm coming, Tarina!" Brock called as the group hurried after Estrella.

---------

"Come on, give Auntie Jupiter a smile!" Jupiter pleaded as the admins struggled through the brush with Tarina.

Her look of feigned happiness turned to anger as Tarina stuck out her tongue at her. "Ooh...didn't your master teach you to respect your elders?" she snapped as she found a rock. "I oughta--!"

"Jupiter!" Mars pleaded. "We may be crooks, but even crooks have to have standards. "What would Lord Cyrus say if he found out we had hurt an innocent Pokémon? Red mage rat is only bait for Hat-boy and pals..."

Tarina snapped to attention when she saw Ash and the others burst into the clearing. [I knew you guys would come save me!]

"Your're not getting away with a Pichu found in my Pokémon Center!" Nurse Joy demanded. "Give her back to her rightful owner! NOW!"

Jupiter sneered, and summoned Noctis. "Noctis, use Fury Swipes!"

"Chiyu, use Egg Bomb!" Nurse Joy commanded her Chansey.

Mars winced at the exploding eggs that sent Noctis flying backwards. "Leona, Bite the little rat!" she commanded as she summoned Leona.

"Be brave, Tarina!" Brock called, aware of the Purugly running for Tarina. "Here's your chance to be the hero you've always wanted to be!"

Tarina nodded, took a deep breath, and sang Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo.... The attack knocked Leona to the ground with a flurry of leaves and green sound waves.

"A different Disarming Voice!" Dawn mused as Noctis charged at Tarina, his claws glowing with dark energy.

"Since Tarina belongs to Brock, his Heart Song is her Disarming Voice." Ash explained as Tarina used Iron Tail to batter Leona even more.

Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... Tarina sang again. Noctis went stumbling back from more leaves and soundwaves.

"Noctis, try Venoshock!" Jupiter called. "Let's finish this!"

[Not today, Space-meanie!] Tarina grinned. With that, she charged a huge yellow beam, sending the admins and their Pokémon flying.

Brock arrived soon afterwards. "Nicely done, Tarina. You're not hurt or tired, are you?"

[Nope!] Tarina smiled. [I could've gone a few more rounds if I wanted to.]

"I'm impressed. How is Tarina so powerful for a Pokémon her size?" Dawn asked as Brock and Tarina embraced.

"Great things sometimes come in small packages." Brock replied as Tarina climbed onto his shoulder. "And Tarina's quite the package."

He smiled when he saw Tarina had climbed on his shoulder, as if mimicking Tintri. "Okay, you can ride on my shoulder too."

[I'm so ready to see what this place has to offer!] Tarina smiled.

"Let's go back to the Pokémon Center and rest first--it's getting late." Dawn assured Tarina, pointing out the setting sun as the group returned to the Pokémon Center.

---------

"Windows are done!" Dawn reported as she and the Chansey cleaned up the foyer and the windows the next morning.

"I could use a little more soap over here." Brock requested from the other end of the room. "I'm letting Tarina wash the very bottom, since she can reach it."

"Floor's done!" Ash smiled as Nurse Joy arrived in the now clean foyer. He wrung out the mop one last time, then went to dispose of his used water.

"The good news is, the Pokémon you guys left with me are feeling much better." Nurse Joy reported. "There are a few that need another day of care, but most of them are ready to return to the wild."

"Remember, even if there aren't many people coming, someone still needs a Pokémon Center to go to." Brock reminded Nurse Joy as he watched Tarina scrub a smudge on the last window.

"Thank you..." Nurse Joy smiled. "You've all been a big help, but you also helped me remember that my skill is needed somewhere."

"Anytime." Ash replied as he inspected Tarina's work. "We'll drop by any time we are in the area."

Tarina whispered something to Brock, making him smile. "Okay...I think a sing-along is a great reward for a job well done."

Once Brock had settled in and tuned up, the others gathered around as he started a hopeful melody. I'll walk in the rain by your side...
    I'll cling to the warmth of your hand...

To Be Continued...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WavePearl

PokéPoints:
    ₽5,079.9
    Episode 35: Top Down Training

Brund uses Flash Cannon...but Shenlong blocks it! a familiar TV announcer reported. Onscreen, a purple dragon Pokémon blocked a bright flash from Lucian's Bronzong.

"Whoa!" Ash gasped as the purple dragon Pokémon flew skyward, its body surrounded by spiraling orange streaks. At the peak of its flight, a purple energy sphere surrounded the dragon Pokémon's body. It next streaked down to slam into the Bronzong. "What was that?"

"That was Giga Impact--it was what that Aerodactyl Mars and Jupiter released used." Brock explained. "One of the more powerful Normal moves."

"That Pokémon's owner...is that the famous Cynthia Lucian told us about?" Ash asked as the TV displayed a blonde haired girl shaking hands with Lucian.

"That's her. If you wanna meet her, I've been hearing rumors that she is in someplace called Amity Square." Dawn replied.

"Speaking of which...Tarina doing okay after we found her in your bag?" Ash asked.

"Yeah--spent the rest of the way to Hearthome on my shoulder gawking at the scenery." Brock smiled.

He looked over to see Tarina dozing on the couch's left arm. "But she's likely tired from the trip, so I'll let her nap for the time being."

"The battle's over, so you can switch it to something else." Dawn offered. "The Cartoon Channel is on channel 46, in case Tarina wakes up and wants to watch something."

After setting the TV to the channel, Brock nudged the dozing Pichu on the couch. "Hey...we're going to explore the city for a while. If you need anything, ask Nurse Joy or any of the Chanseys, okay?

[Okay...] Tarina replied with a yawn as Ash led the others outside.

---------

"So this is Amity Square..." Dawn mused as the group arrived at the gate of a large park-like area some time later. "It's beautiful..."

The attendant smiled when she saw Tintri and Kori. "Go on in...this is a fun and safe environment for all Pokémon to play together."

"Thanks." Ash replied before noticing a huge crowd near the center of the park. "I guess those rumors of Cynthia being here are true..."

He then spotted Paul in the crowd. "Hey, over here!" he called, waving a hand to get Paul's attention.

Paul looked over and sighed. "What do you want, Wonder-Boy?"

"I've gotten two Badges since our last meeting." Ash smiled. "I'm curious...how many have you gotten?"

"Why should I go around earning cheap trinkets?" Paul muttered as he eyed a familiar blond haired girl in black clothing signing autographs near an ice cream truck. "I only care about getting stronger. If I can take down Cynthia over there, even better."

He then approached Cynthia. "Milady...I hereby challenge you to a battle."

Gasps went up from the crowd at this. "Not just any battle...I want to see your full strength in a complete six on six match."

There was an awkward silence for a moment as the crowd waited to see what Cynthia would do. "Okay...but I'm warning you--I'm not some youngster by the roadside." Cynthia cautioned.

She looked around. "Is there anyone with a whistle or some other signal?"

"I'll referee, if you'd like." Brock offered as Cynthia lead Paul to one of the many battle arenas drawn in the dirt.

---------

A whistle rang through Amity Square signalling the battle was underway. "Shenlong, here we go!" Cynthia called as she summoned the large purple dragon Pokémon from before.

Ash took a moment to read up on the dragon Pokémon as Paul summoned Goku:

"Garchomp, the mach Pokémon. It is said that when one runs at high speed, its wings create blades of wind that can fell nearby trees."

"Oh my..." Dawn gasped when she heard the Pokédex info. "Paul may be in over his head..."

"Goku, start with Fire Spin, then Dig underground!" Paul commanded.

He did not notice that Shenlong had burrowed underground, making the Fire Spin miss. A few moments later, the huge Garchomp and the Chimchar collided, sending the Chimchar flying. "Goku! I thought we had a chance to trap the Garchomp!"

Ash motioned for Cynthia to listen as Paul continued ranting. "Are you the only one with a sick feeling right now?"

"I'm more than sick. I have half a mind to stop the battle right now and tell him he has no right to berate his Chimchar like that." Cynthia replied. "He's so focused on raw power, he doesn't take tactics or strategy into account."

Paul summoning a new Pokémon snapped her back to attention. "Okuni, let's go!"

"A Weavile..." Dawn mused. She admired the black mammalian Pokémon with a magenta hood before Shenlong.

"Chill the Garchomp with a Blizzard!" Paul commanded.

The crowd shivered from the swirling snow that engulfed the battlefield. But both Cynthia and Shenlong looked unfazed. [Now?] Shenlong purred.

Cynthia nodded, and showed the crowd an onyx ring on her left hand. Aran ya haquin khetsaram...

Ash balked as Shenlong was engulfed in a blackish purple light. "No way...Garchomp can Mega Evolve too?" he gasped as Shenlong glowed cyan, then sent the Weavile flying in a massive explosion.

"Look here..." Dawn pointed out a MORE... icon under the picture of Garchomp on Ash's Pokédex screen.

"Garchomp is capable of Mega Evolution if its trainer has awakened their Heart Song." the Pokédex reported. The now Mega Garchomp slammed into a Murkrow with Giga Impact.

"Demeter, let's go!" Paul then summoned a large turtle Pokémon that appeared to have a forest on its back. "Use Giga Drain!"

Ash read up on the massive turtle Pokémon as the exhausted Mega Garchomp had some energy drained out of it by a bright green light.

"Torterra, the continent Pokémon. Groups of this Pokémon migrating in search of water have been mistaken for 'moving forests'."

"Demeter, try Frenzy Plant!" Paul's voice snapped Ash back to the battle.

The crowd braced for the whirling tornado of leaves, flowers, and wind. But when the dust cleared, cheers filled the air when they saw Shenlong defending with his fins! "Wha...how?" Paul demanded.

"Shenlong, use Brick Break." Cynthia commanded.

Paul winced from the impact of the attack on his Torterra's head. "That's it...I withdraw from the match."

"No contest! Pearl has withdrawn." Brock announced, to angry shouts from the crowd.

"You may want to do something before things get ugly..." Dawn whispered as she watched the protests, jeers, taunts, and teasing escalate.

Brock nodded, and blew his whistle again. "Everyone, please! If someone wishes to withdraw from a match, that is their choice and their right."

"While I don't agree with many of Paul's methods, he still put in a heroic effort." Ash agreed. "It takes a lot of bravery and guts to face a Mega Pokémon. That being said, sometimes the better part of valor is discretion. This is what Paul did here. It's not cowardice--he knew he would likely lose, and cut his loses so he could battle another day."

Dawn smiled as the crowd applauded Ash's speech. "You should speak in public more often--you have a way with words!"

Paul, meanwhile, approached Cynthia as the crowd turned to leave. "I clearly underestimated you. I'll have to train even more before we meet again in the arena."

"I have no qualms about you withdrawing." Cynthia replied. "But you need to get your team to a Pokémon Center as soon as possible."

She winced when she got a text on her PokeNav. "Hearthome Pokémon Center at full capacity, please go elsewhere for Pokémon care..."

After unzipping her bag, she started laying out some Pokémon care items on the ground. "Here...I'll heal your team."

---------

"There we go..." Cynthia smiled as she finished healing Paul's team some time later. "They're all well trained, especially your Torterra."

The stern look on Paul's face softened a little. "Thanks...Demeter was my very first Pokémon. I traveled around Kanto, Johto, and Houen first. This is where I got my Murkrow Mystic and my Weavile, Okuni. When I didn't do so hot at any of the Leagues, I came home to Shinou, where I got Goku, my Chimchar."

"Goku was very brave to face Shenlong like he did..." Cynthia smiled.

"Yeah, but that doesn't change the fact he lost to your Garchomp." Paul muttered.

"But how were you to know that Shenlong would also use Dig?" Ash spoke up. "There was no reason to yell at Goku for something out of your control!"

"Your point?" Paul asked, looking over at Ash.

"Answer me this...why do you not care about your Pokémon?" Ash asked.

"Because then my Pokémon will get spoiled; and not try hard enough in battle." Paul replied. "Goku was the perfect example."

"If that were true, then how could Cynthia have induced Shenlong before?" Ash asked. "Mega Evolution is the ultimate display of love and trust between trainer and Pokémon. If you want to see that sort of power, you have to support your Pokémon."

Paul sighed. "Look, all I want to do is become stronger, Wonder-Boy. And love gets in the way of that goal."

Cynthia watched as Paul departed. "It seems the two of you have a history. But your point is truer than you think."

She led the group further into the park, where a stone tablet stood. "See if you recognize the message on this tablet."

With that, she read "I open my heart to reveal a secret power, which I promise to use to end evil's rule. The song in my heart becomes this power. Will I fight even to the end? Yes."

"That's the meaning of the Swanna Song." Ash replied.

Cynthia nodded. "Before I saw that message, I used to train endlessly. Then I discovered that all Pokémon have different personalities; and I wanted to get to know them all."

"Aw..." Brock smiled.

"So, where are you going now?" Dawn asked.

"I'm heading for Celestic Town, to the north." Cynthia replied. "The ancient ruins there are said to hold the Lustrous Orb, which is related to the legendary Pokémon Palkia. The Lustrous Orb is in turn related to the Adamant Orb, which is currently on display in Eterna City."

She smiled at the group. "I wish you three good luck on your travels, and hope we meet again soon."

To Be Continued...

#43 Jul 11, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:10 AM