1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Gameplay Journal Pokemon Sibling Rivalry Run - ULTRA Edition

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by SnowboundBecca, Nov 15, 2017.

?

Who should my starter for Ultra Sun and Moon be?

Poll closed Nov 17, 2017.
  1. Rowlet

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Popplio

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Litten

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    "For the last time, Mack! Arcanine is not a legendary! I don't care what the Pokédex classifies it as. If it doesn't have god-like power, it's not a legendary."

Every time a new Pokémon game gets released, my brother Mack and I both buy separate versions of the games as soon as they come out and we play them at the same time to see who is the stronger Pokémon trainer. This has become a tradition for a long while, and now that Ultra Sun and Moon is almost upon us, we're doing another challenge run together.

Here are the rules:
    1. Only catch the first Pokémon you encounter on each route (duplicates do not count). You have three chances to catch a new party member, but after that, tough luck.
    2. Shiny Pokémon can be caught, but cannot be used for the duration of this challenge (unless it's your first encounter).
    3. Pokémon and Eggs obtained from NPCs are allowed and do not count as first encounters.
    4. Legendary Pokémon can be caught and used throughout the main campaign, but cannot be used during player rival matches (explained below). Same goes for Totem Pokémon, if applicable.
    5. Island Scan Pokémon are allowed, but only if they're your first encounter.
    6. Pokémon Refresh and Poke Pelago are allowed.
    7. Level cap is determined by each boss's level and rounded up to multiples of 5 (i.e. if a boss is level 12, the cap is rounded up to 15). If a Pokémon is over the cap, it must be boxed until the boss is defeated.
    8. Before leaving an island, both player rivals must battle each other in a singles match. Whoever wins gets a point (the end-game match after the elite four awards 5 points). The player with the most points is declared the champion.
    These rules are subject to change depending on the game's story progression. Also keep in mind this is NOT a Nuzlocke run. This is blind playthrough. Which means no spoilers.

You guys voted, and the winner is Rowlet. Thank you for helping me decide my starter Pokémon. The challenge will begin later this evening. But before that...

[​IMG]
    Hold on there, friendos! Me and my bro would like to warn you.
    The following posts from here on out WILL contain spoilers for Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon.
    If you don't want to get spoiled, please complete the games for yourselves first before scrolling down any further.

You have been warned. Thank you for your time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  2. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    So Meme-owl, Cat Hogan, or The Invisible Mermaid...

I'm throwing my hat in for Cat Hogan. :D

Cripes, I hit the wrong one... just count one of the Rowlet votes for Litten. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SnowboundBecca likes this.
  3. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    Litten!

4. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,650.4
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    You can change your vote :3

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Oh, I can? *checks* Ah, awesome! *changes it*

6. SnowboundBecca

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Day 1 - The Journey Begins

For the sake of those who don't wish to be spoiled, all posts from here on out will be put in the spoiler tags. Today, as the title says, my brother Mack and I begin our run of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, respectively. Enjoy!

We were surprised to see that we got our starters a bit earlier than in Sun and Moon, which I suppose helps lessen the time it takes for people to get the perfect starter. Or, you know, getting a shiny starter. Anyways, I picked Rowlet as my starter and my bro picked Litten. My brother doesn't nickname his Pokémon like I do, so you'll only be seeing my team for the time being.

Orion
    Level 5
    Male
    Timid, a little quick tempered

...Yeah, his nature isn't the best, I'll admit. Then again, my bro managed to get a female Litten with lowered attack as well, so we're even.

Moving on, we see that Hau makes an enthusiastic return. His starter was, of course, easy to beat. Then we get to the Spearows attacking Nebby. Since we already got a Pokémon with us, it would make sense that we'd be able to fight at least one of those angry birds. I was a little scared of whether that Spearow would Peck at my grass type, but that somehow didn't happen. After that, the cut-scene with Tapu Koko makes a return as well, and we get the Z-Power Ring.

Once the next day rolls around, we were finally able to catch our first route Pokémon. ...We both caught Grubbins.

Saiph
    Level 4
    Female
    Gentle, Mischievous

After a bit of grinding on my part, we reached Iki village to battle Hau once again. With our Grubbins' Mud-Slap attack, his Pichu was a joke. And his starter already had a disadvantage against our own starters.

Once that was over, we moved south of the house towards Prof. Kukui's house. But before that, we had the chance to catch another new Pokémon. ...We both caught Slowpokes. Ugh, it's Sun and Moon all over again with these similar encounters.

Ran
    Level 4
    Female
    Sassy, proud of its power

Eventually, we reached the professor's house and got the Rotom Dex. And Rotom is... a lot more shy than I remember him being. Anyways, moving to the school now, but before that we used the Mystery Gift to grab ourselves some Rockruffs. Because who doesn't love puppies?

Sirius
    Level 10
    Female
    Lonely, hates to lose

Anyway, off to school we go. This time however, we both got different Pokémon at the schoolyard. Mack caught an Alolan Meowth, while I caught an Alolan Grimer. We could've gotten a Zorua though... sigh.

Ogma
    Level 6
    Male
    Hardy, alert to sounds

Fighting trainers to progress, yada yada, we've seen this before. Mack admittedly had a harder time fighting the teacher at the end however, since he didn't have a lot of coverage against water types.

We then move to Hau'oli City, and we finally get some much needed makeovers. Oh, and new Pokémon. Mack missed out on getting an Abra (those slippery scamps) and instead got a Magnemite. Meanwhile, I got the luck of the draw and caught a Furfrou.

Fulu
    Level 8
    Female
    Sassy, somewhat of a clown

And thus, we got a full team of six. Time to take on Team Skull, again. Their Zubat was nothing against my Furfrou and my bro's Magnemite. Next we fought the trial captain Ilima, who we all know is infamous for their Smeargle. Mack had the hardest time against it (because, again, no water coverage). I had to play the long game by using my Slowpoke's Yawn and buff it up with Curse, as I usually do. Giving a Quick Claw to it helped.

With that out of the way, we move on to the next route. And in the shaking grass we found... Ekans. For both of us. Typical.

Vega
    Level 10
    Female
    Naughty, strong willed

I've boxed this one, since I already have a poison type in the form of Grimer. We also take a detour to the graveyard for more potential Pokémon team members. Mack managed to catch a Murkrow while I caught a Drifloon. I've never used a Drifloon before, so maybe I'll have it as my flyer for now.

Caph
    Level 9
    Male
    Lonely, likes to run fly

...And that's it for today. Tomorrow, we'll be taking on the first trial of the island challenge. Wish us luck!

#6 Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  7. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Drifblim is a great Ghost-type as well as Flying-type. Does it have Aftermath or Unburden? If Aftermath, be cautious using it to wear down Pokémon you intend on capturing; if their HP is low enough, Unburden WILL KO them.

8. SnowboundBecca

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    I checked, and it does have Aftermath. Which is a shame, since it's one of my least favorite abilities... :/

9. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    It's not bad, though Unburden is definitely better; you just need to be prepared for when it gets low on HP. ;)

10. SnowboundBecca

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Day 2 - Trials of Melemele

Today, my brother and I take on the trials of Melemele Island, as well as battle each other for the first time before heading off to the next island.

Current team:

And so we continue forth into Route 2, and we encounter our very first surfer. I really like the surfer's design. He looks really chill. XD

We also fight Team Skull again. And once again, they proved to be all bark and no bite, especially against my brother's new Murkrow and my new Drifloon. And thus, the surfing Mantine was saved.

Moving on, we enter the Verdant Cavern for our first trial. Not much has changed from Sun and Moon here, but I will say my Grubbin turned out to be the MVP of this trial, as its Bug Bite was strong against all the Alolan Rattatas and Raticates.

Once that was done and we received out first Z-Crystal, we were now able to catch a Pokémon in the caves. I caught an Alolan Rattata, while Mack caught an Alolan Diglett. And once again, we missed out on catching Niobat in the caves. gad dang it...

Alkaid
    Level 10
    Female
    Careful, impetuous and silly

We then move north to Route 3. I caught a Mankey in this area, and Mack caught a Spearow which he immediately traded for a Hawlucha (rules didn't say anything about trading with NPCs, so it's technically legal).

Markeb
    Level 11
    Male
    Modest, highly persistent

...Yeah, this one is going into the box. Modest nature does no favors for a physical attacker like Mankey. :/

We eventually reach Melemele Meadow, and it looks like Nebby has taken a different route and went straight into the Seaward Cave. Along the way, we catch two new Pokémon. I caught a Flabebe and a Zubat, while Mack caught a Cottonee and another Zubat.

Navi
    Level 11
    Female
    Relaxed, highly curious

Kaitos
    Level 12
    Male
    Naughty, good perseverance

Meanwhile, in the cave, we meet up with the Ultra Recon Squad, who at long last decide to introduce themselves as such. I don't know about you guys, but these people are awfully suspect. I mean, they're super weird and it's obvious they're from an entirely different world, but you get the idea.

I fought their Furfrou and, through my Grimer's poison, I managed to beat them with only a few issues and no casualties.

Oh, and my Rowlet evolves into a Dartrix. Hooray! XD

After that, I had one more spot to find a new Pokémon before fighting Hala. Turns out I also caught a Spearow for myself and traded it for a Hawlucha. 'Cause why not. Spearow wasn't going to see much use anyway.

Cha(ra)
    Level 8
    Male
    Brave, likes to thrash about

And so, after a quick grinding session, we both fought Hala with our awesome bird-masked wrestlers and won fairly easily.

Now is the moment the both of us had been waiting for. Before leaving Melemele, my brother and I fought each other in a singles match.

...I lost. Badly. Mostly because I was overthinking everything. First point goes to Mack.

Tomorrow, we'll be doing some Mantine Surfing and heading to Akala Island. Until then everyone.

#10 Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  11. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    My match with Hala was surprisingly close, but I've been playing nearly blind (only occasionally looking up Pokémon locations and moves).

Hopefully you'll get a better matchup next time; battling other people is definitely different from battling NPCs. ^_^

12. BraviaryScout

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    I wish I incorporated Big Wave Beach into my fanfic. It looks so awesome!

Ah well, there’s plenty of time for that.

But yeah, the surfer has an awesome design and I didn’t notice until now that they move slightly when you see their afterquote when they lose :)

13. SnowboundBecca

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Day 3 - All Around Akalla
    Today, we travel to Akalla Island in style, do a full lap around said island, and my brother gets incredibly salty over entry hazards. (Warning: long post)

Current team:

Before leaving the island proper, we decide to catch two new Pokémon in 10 Carat Hill. My brother caught a Mawile and a Machop, while I caught a Psyduck and another Machop.

Pollux
    Level 11
    Male
    Gentle, sturdy body

Rasalas
    Level 12
    Male
    Lax, likes to run

Mantine Surfing... is... the best thing ever. It is, just, so much fun and an easy way to rack up BP. In fact, I managed to earn enough to teach my Pokémon some new moves, such as my Slowpoke getting Signal Beam and my Flabebe getting Giga Drain. Man, I love Mantine surfing.

Um, anyway, back to the island challenge. We finally reach Akalla, meet up with the rest of the gang as well as see Olivia and Mallow again. These two haven't changed much. And as we head for the hotel, we run into Dexio and Sina from X & Y again. I battled Sina and her ice types while Mack battled Dexio and his psychic types. Their respective Eeveelutions were no joke, but we did beat them without incident.

It's odd though that they don't give us the Zygarde Core like in the last games. I suppose they replaced that with the Totem stickers... Speaking off, I earned enough to get myself a Totem Alolan Raticate, though we opted on not using Totem Pokémon for this run. I already caught an Alolan Rattata anyway.

Moving on, we reach the next route to catch some new Pokémon. ...We both caught Pikipeks. The family curse strikes again... Anyway, I decided to evolve mine into a Trumbeak right away.

Altair
    Level 14
    Male
    Jolly, strongly defiant

We continue down the route, grab a hat Pikachu from Pikachu Valley right away (which will not be used for this run), and reach Paniola town to fight Hau once again. I forgot to mention last time, but Hau now has a Noibat and an Eevee on his team along with his starter and a Pikachu. ...He was still easy to beat though.

We continue north to the fields to find some new Pokémon. Mack caught a Lillipup while I caught a Mareep and immediately evolved it into a Flaaffy.

Maia
    Level 15
    Female
    Gentle, likes to thrash about

We also get ourselves some Eevee eggs from the daycare up ahead. Mine didn't evolve or get much use until later, but I decided to evolve mine into a Flareon as it was the only one I didn't give much attention too. Mack, meanwhile, evolved his into a Slyveon, which is funny considering he doesn't like cute things. His excuse was he needed a strong fairy type of some sort other than his Cottonee.

Perseus
    Level 1
    Male
    Careful, quick to flee

We continue north towards the water trial, and my brother caught a Caterpie while I managed to catch Fomantis in the area.

Tarazet
    Level 15
    Male
    Hasty, thoroughly cunning

And up ahead we run into our favorite edge lord, Gladion. He hasn't changed much from last time, except for his team, which nearly caught us off guard because he now has a Zorua in his party that disguised itself as his Zubat. We still beat him easily enough though.

On to the water trial! Things have changed a little here since the last game, but the premise was the same: herd Wishiwashi down the river to the Totem's den. Easy enough, and now it's time to fight the Totem Wishi- OH MY GOD THAT'S A GIANT SPIDER! O_O

Yep. The Totem Pokémon here is now an Araquanid. Thankfully, our newly evolved Charjabugs took care of this infestation of bubble spiders. With that done, we got our fishing rods and managed to fish up some Magikarps that we both immediately evolved into Gyarados. 'Cause why not.

Eltanin
    Level 21
    Female
    Gentle, somewhat vain

It was also around this time we managed to evolve our Rockruffs into Dusk Lycanrocs. I admittedly had to do some time manipulation here, as I was not about to wake up at 5 am just to evolve my pup into a full-fledged wolf. I hope you guys understand.

As we continue on, we run into the Ultra Recon Squad again. This time however, they show off their brand new... Pokémon? It was a Poipole. I managed to beat it easy enough with my newly evolved Golbat, which also soon evolved into a Crobat after the battle. Best timing.

Moving down south past the Sudowoodo, I manage to catch a Mudbray. Mack hasn't caught anything here yet, I don't think. But hey, Mudbray is awesome and I'm happy I caught a good one with Stamina here.

Rigil
    Level 15
    Male
    Docile, nods off a lot

We reach the Battle Royal Dome, do the battle royal song and dance again, and move on to Wela Volcano. Mack was lucky enough to catch a female Salandit, while I caught a Cubone and wasted no time to try and evolve it into an Alolan Marowak. Oh, and in the bay outside of the volcano, I caught a Pyukumuku.

Hatysa
    Level 19
    Female
    Gentle, likes to run

Muphrid
    Level 16
    Female
    Sassy, capable of taking hits

After a bit of training (my Flabebe evolves into a Floette), the fire trial was next. Not much has changed except for the Totem Pokémon itself, much like in the last trial. Instead of a Salazzle, we had to fight a Totem Alolan Marowak with a Salazzle. I had a bit of a hard time due to critical hits, but I still managed.

And after our victory, we finally, FINALLY get to ride Charizards. Freedom never tasted so sweet...

Onward through the spooky tunnel, we get some dialogue with the Ultra Recon Squad, get a short cameo with Colress from Black 2 & White 2, feed an Alolan Vulpix, and catch ourselves some wily Wimpod. Mine didn't see much use until I evolved it later however.

Zaniah
    Level 17
    Female
    Quiet, takes plenty of siestas

And now we enter the jungle (we gonna die). This trial was a bit different as well. It was the same as before; collecting ingredients for Mallow's special dish, but this time we had the option whether or not we should fight the Pokémon here. I did not fight anything other than the annoying Totem Lurantis at the end. Its help was different though, getting a Comfey and a Kecleon with Sunny Day for support. Our Hawluchas managed to beat them easy enough though.

With the grass trial taken care of, we opted to catch three new Pokémon here. Mack caught a Bounsweet that he now uses as his main grass type, and I caught an Oranguru, Morelull, and Bonsly.

Kang
    Level 20
    Male
    Jolly, strong willed

Tania
    Level 21
    Female
    Relaxed, somewhat of a clown

Rastaban
    Level 21
    Male
    Relaxed, likes to run

And so we continue onward to the southern most part of the island. In Diglett Cave, Mack wasn't able to catch anything, while I caught, you guessed it, an Alolan Diglett. We missed out on catching a Larvitar though. That's a shame...

Sabik
    Level 21
    Male
    Quirky, capable of taking hits
    Through the caves, there wasn't much of note that had changed from Sun & Moon. We met with the Aether Foundation, fought some Team Skull Grunts with Hau and his Eevee, and got through the tunnel to a police station. Inside said station, one of the cops in the back was apparently acting strangely. But, surprise! It turned out to be a Ditto. And I caught it. This was our new catch for the route.

Wasat
    Level 29
    Agender
    Bold, takes plenty of siestas

Finally, we reach Konikoni City, do a bit of shopping, and then head towards the Ruins of Life. We catch two new Pokémon along the way. Mack catches a Gastly and a Stuffel, while I caught a Phantump and a Wingull. Mack evolved his Gastly into a Haunter almost immediately, so we traded our two ghost types so they both evolved into their final forms.

Barnard
    Level 22
    Male
    Quirky, takes plenty of siestas

Aquila
    Level 21
    Female
    Naive, Likes to run fly

I did a lot more training before fighting Olivia, much to my brother's impatience, but I did manage to beat her new team of Hoenn fossil Pokémon and he signature Midnight Lycanroc. Mostly thanks to my Dusk Lycanroc, my Hawlucha, and my Gyarados.

At long last, it was time to face off against each other in Round 2 of our competition. This time, I won by a landslide thanks to Stealth Rocks and the overwhelming power of my Dusk Lycanroc. Mack didn't take it very well, but now we're tied.

Next time, we'll be checking out the Aether Paradise and heading to Ula'ula Island.

#13 Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. BraviaryScout

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Mantine surfing looks fun, but I’m having a hard time in learning how to do it...

Good to know that I can always use those BP to get new moves taught

15. SnowboundBecca

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Yes, the new move tutors were a god-send in this game. Especially for Pokémon like Alolan Marowak. Fire Punch was the best move to teach it at the time. :D

16. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I don't dislike most entry hazards, but I *HATE* Stealth Rock. It's not as if Fire- and Ice-types were already bad competitively, they had to go and add a hazard that shaves off extra damage if that Pokémon just happens to be weak to Rock moves? I call BS on that. -_- Yes, salty death-god is salty. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Anyway, does your Psyduck have the Damp ability? Also, loving the surfing game; JWittz got a lot of BP and new skills for his team (though, understandably, was sad that his Mawile didn't learn any Steel or Fairy moves until late-game and none of the tutors taught any skills of those types yet).

17. SnowboundBecca

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    My brother would 100% agree with you. Stealth Rocks are kind of cheap.

And yes, my Psyduck does indeed have the Damp ability. Maybe I'll train it up later in case I run into any Self-Destructing Pokémon.

18. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Awesome! And yeah, unless they really screwed with the encounters on Mount Hokulani you're gonna be running into a few of those. :sweat:

19. SnowboundBecca

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Day 4 - From Ultra Beasts to Ula'ula

Today, we check out Aether Paradise, travel to Ula'ula Island, and evolve lots of Pokémon while doing so.

Current team:

...Yeah, I have a lot of Pokémon now. So much so, that training them all for the sake of always coming prepared for stuff has become time consuming. Thankfully, my brother was away at work, so I had plenty of time to grind levels for some of them, at least until they evolve (Also, just pretend that Midday Lycanroc is actually a Dusk Lycanroc. They haven't added that in yet, I don't think).

Anyway, We reach the Hano Grand Resort. Time to hit the beach! The both of us manage to catch Staryus buried in the sand. We also get our fossils revived. Mack got a Tyrunt while I got a Kabuto.

Celaeno
    Level 22
    Agender
    Relaxed, mischeivous

Cancri
    Level 15
    Male
    Lax, somewhat vain

Then we head into the resort to see Faba, the self-important branch chief of the Aether Foundation. We've all gone through this before: go to Aether Paradise, take the tour, battle an Ultra Beast, you get the idea. The only difference here though is the appearance of the Ultra Recon Squad, who reveal their true faces. They look like they've had better days. It seems now that the URS and Aether President Lusamine are working together to stop some form of calamity that made the light disappear in another world.

...Yeah, neither of us were buying it.

Moving on, we finally head of to Ula'ula. We battle Hua again, and this time he has a Tauros and his Eevee and Pikachu both evolved. Still, nothing my team couldn't handle.

Next we enter the Malie Gardens. I manage to catch an Alolan Meowth here, while my brother caught an Ariados.

Lynx
    Level 26
    Female
    Bashful, somewhat vain

I also managed to get lucky and fish up a King's Rock. Now I'm debating whether I want to evolve my Slowpoke into a Slowking or not... I'll figure it out later.

After a trip to the library with Lillie, three new routes open up to us. I caught a Trubbish, Ariados, and Pancham. Mack also caught a Trubbish and Pancham, but also a Fearow.

Crux
    Level 25
    Female
    Bashful, likes to thrash about

Castor
    Level 29
    Male
    Naughty, scatters things often

Cujam
    Level 27
    Male
    Brave, somewhat vain

It was around here I started grinding levels before heading to the bus for our next trial atop Mount Hokulani. A lot of my Pokémon evolved:
    • Orion evolved into Decidueye
    • Caph evolved into Drifblim
    • Rigil evolved into Mudsdale
    • Maia evolved into Ampharos
    • Altair evolved into Toucannon
    • Sabik evolved into Dugtrio
    • Pollux evolved into Golduck
    • Tania evolved into Shiinotic
    • Lynx evolved into Persian
    And so, we make our way up the mountain. The both of us missed out on catching Beldums, so I instead caught a green Minior while Mack caught an Elgyem.

Borealis
    Level 29
    Agender
    Docile, somewhat vain

After a bit more training, we move on to the Sophocles and Molayne's trial. Things have changed a bit here. Now we need to solve some easy rotation puzzles, battle an Elekid and Electabuzz, and the Totem Pokémon turned out to be a very angry Togedemaru. It was... kinda hilarious. I was expecting Vikavolt again, so I was a little under-prepared by sending out my Lycanroc first. Thankfully, my Mudsdale did most of the work.

And that's about it for now. Next time, we ride like cowboys all the way down to the south of the island.

#19 Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  20. SnowboundBecca

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Day 5 - The Lonely Road to Po Town

Today, we finish off Ula'ula island's trials, and then Bulldoze our way through Team Skull's base.

Current team:

As you can see, I've been busy evolving some of my less useful Pokémon just for the sake of filling the Pokédex. I've evolved my Ekans into an Arbok, Rattata into a Raticate, Mankey into a Primeape, Wingull into a Pelipper, and Fomantis into a Lurantis. Life is good.

We move to the south of the island, with Hapu's Mudsdale leading the charge over the rocky terrain. Here, we caught ourselves some new Pokémon. I was lucky enough to catch a Manetric, while Mack caught an Alolan Graveller.

Shaula
    Level 29
    Female
    Sassy, loves to eat

We also reach the power plant in Blush Mountain. This is the spot that allowed us to finally evolved our Charjabugs into Vikavolts. Thank goodness they changed that. Oh, and my brother and I caught some Pika-clones here. I caught a Togedemaru while Mack caught a Dedenne.

Spica
    Level 32
    Male
    Adamant, a little quick tempered

Eventually, we reach the trailer park oasis, and meet up with Gladion again. Same deal as before, he warns us about Cosmog's potential power to summon powerful beings from other worlds, and leaves us with that idea hanging in the air. Mack skipped this area for catches, but I managed to fish up a Wishiwashi.

Pisces
    Level 27
    Male
    Relaxed, strong willed
    To the west, a number of areas opened up. 4, to be specific. Mack was only able to catch an Alolan Vulpix and a Frillish, while I caught an Absol (Yes!), an Alolan Sandshrew, a Bruxish, and a Clamperl.

Cygnus
    Level 33
    Male
    Jolly, highly persistent

Polaris
    Level 33
    Female
    Sassy, likes to thrash about

Castula
    Level 11
    Female
    Naughty, mischievous

Fomalhaut
    Level 40
    Male
    Hasty, strong willed

I did a bit more training here before the next trial. I managed to evolve my Alolan Grimer into a Muk, and my Pacham into a Pangoro. I've also decided that, since my Slowpoke benefits mostly from Sp. Defense, I evolved it into a Slowking.

Anyway, we reach the Aether House, meet up with Acerola and Hau, and save Lillie from being harassed by a Team Skull grunt. Typical stuff. And then we head to the ghost trial.

Not much has changed here, other than one particularly spooky thing near the end and the Totem Mimikyu summoning a Banette to burn our team with Will-o-Wisp. We both managed to beat it with only a few bumps and bruises. My Alolan Muk was able to Knock Off the Mimikyu's Lum Berry before getting a lucky bad poisoning from Poison Fang, so he deserves the most credit for my victory.

With the ghost trial finished, we were now able to catch some new ghost Pokémon in the Thrifty Megamart. Mack caught a Shuppet, while I caught a Haunter that I soon evolved into a Gengar.

Mizar
    Level 34
    Male
    Calm, loves to eat

The desert was also opened up to us. Mack hasn't caught anything yet there, but I went ahead and caught myself a Krokorok.

Titawin
    Level 35
    Male
    Hasty, somewhat stubborn

We head back to the Aether house to discover, oh no! The kids' Yungoos has been Pokenapped. What a shocker. And so we obtain a ride Sharpedo from Grimsley of Black & White, and speed our way through to Po Town for a rescue mission. Along the way, we run into a boy playing with a sand castle... except it wasn't a sand castle. It was a Sandygast.

Salm
    Level 30
    Female
    Lax, likes to relax

I'll admit, what the kid said after I caught it was a little unsettling. :/

Anyways, moving on. We continue north, have a surprising run-in with Faba (unintentionally calling us foolish) and catch some new Pokémon in the red flower fields. Mack caught a Floette while I caught a Ribombee.

Segin
    Level 36
    Male
    Timid, quick to flee

Continuing north still, we catch one more new Pokémon before entering the depressing, dread-filled Po Town. Mack caught a Scraggy while I was lucky enough to catch a Bisharp. It even called a Pawniard over for help. I thought that was clever.

Lyra
    Level 35
    Female
    Quirky, somewhat vain
    And now, we enter Po Town with the help of Officer Nanu, as per usual. As we completely raid the place of goodies and beat grunts senseless along the way, my Kabuto evolved into a Kabutops. Nice. I also found the Ice Stone to evolve my Alolan Sandshrew into Sandslash. It's in the exact same place as before, by the poolside.

We continue into the mansion, Guzma's headquarters. There were some notable differences here, such as the riddle to go on through to Guzma's room having changed from facts about the boss to facts about Plumeria. Apparently she likes Bounsweet. Huh.

And so we fight Guzma once again. His strategy hasn't changed, leading off with his Golisopod. However, he also has a Masqerain and a Pinsir on his team instead of an Ariados. Don't be fooled, though. His Masqerain in particular is stronger than it looks.

After beating him, we obtain the Buginium Z, save the Yungoos, and head back to the Aether House to discover, oh no! Lillie got kidnapped this time. And Gladion is not happy. In his rage, he challenges us to a battle. He leads off with his real Golbat though, and his Zoroark evolved, so be prepared.

After beating him, he apologizes before we're immediately whisked away back to Malie City. Officer Nanu appears again to challenge us. His team hasn't changed one bit, leading off with a Sableye. I managed to beat him with my Ribombee, Hawlucha (who just learned Hi Jump Kick), and Golisopod.

We're planning on fighting each next time. Afterwards, it's going to be all plot from there. Stay tuned.

#20 Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017