1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Sign Up/Discussion Pokemon: The Road to the Grand Festival (Kanto--Signup and discussion)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by WavePearl, May 24, 2019.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    @ShinigamiMiroku

Ever since Divine Coordinator May popularized Contests in Kanto, it had become a viable career path for those who didn't want to battle.

Recently, the Global Pokémon League has standardized Contest setups to Shinou and Kalos rules:

After the parade of coordinators, there are three competitions in a Contest--Visual, Dance, and Appeal

In the Visual competition, each competitor receives a Fashion Case filled with Accessories. They have 60 seconds to use up to five of these to dress up their Pokémon according to a theme. The best looking Pokémon, wins

In the Dance competition, each Pokémon dances to a song of the coordinator's choice. The device the Pokémon dance on, the Bailatron, is intelligent, and will remember every stumble and fall as well as every good step. If your Pokémon stumbles around too much, the music will stop, and your dance is over.

In the Appeal competition, the coordinators take turns showing off appeals to the judges--Keira, Dexter, Jordan, and possibly a guest judge.

Unlike the games, move type isn't quite so emphasized, so it is perfectly fine to string together different types of moves. You will earn more hearts and boost the excitement meter if you do use moves with matching types, however.

Every move is worth a certain number of hearts. If the contest involves a Double Performance, the heart value of the two Pokémon's moves are added together. The audience's excitement can give the coordinator extra hearts, with lots of hearts if they max out the excitement meter. You can still bore the audience and the judges by using the same move twice in a row.

Jamming is scaled back in these Contests. You can't lose hearts, but the Pokémon can still get nervous, and on rare occasions, refuse to perform.

Mega Evolution is considered a powerful appeal, so many coordinators with a Mega Evolve-able Pokémon and an awakened Heart Song choose to save it for a big finish on their fifth and final appeal, or use it when the excitement meter is about to max out. The Mega Evolution itself counts as an appeal, but if there are still appeals remaining in the competition, the Mega Evolved Pokémon has access to special moves called Spectacular Talents, which will always excite the audience and earn a lot of hearts.

The coordinator that earns the most hearts over five rounds, wins. The coordinator with the best score after all three events, wins a ribbon. Second and third place win medals, but these do not count towards the Grand Festival.

To sign up, post here with the following info:

Your character's name:
    Your character's age (anywhere from 10 to 13 is fine)
    Your character's general appearance:
    Your character's personality/known history:
    Your character's Pokémon: (any non-Legendary is fine; you can have a shiny if you ask permission, and they must have moves that are known to have a Contest type--so anything up to Gen 6 is okay--no Gen 7 moves are allowed. You can have up to a full team of six)
    Your character's coordinator type (explained below):
    Your character's preferred brand (explained below):

Types and Brands

Like idols, coordinators in this world also have their own brands of costumes to wear. They are divided into six types--Cute/Dreamy, Cool/Hearthrob, Beautiful/Charming, Exotic/Rugged, Passion/Power, Angelic/Heroic. Currently there are two brands of each type, but coordinators are welcome to mix and match to create their perfect look. Many coordinators have a preferred brand.

Cute and Dreamy coordinators aim for an innocent and playful look that in some cases is almost chlid-like. Hearts, cute Pokémon, and ribbons are the stars of the show for girls, while boys are not quite as garish, with patterns and geometric designs being the most common.

The two brands here are Rainbow Parade, a brand that focuses on a marching band and music motif; and Jeweled Story, which has a lot of jewels and fairy tale motifs.

Bright and comfortable is the word with the Cool/Heartthrob type, which may also take a more rock or punk edge. Spacey designs and neon are also common too.

The two brands here are Pixel Beat, which is inspired by classic video games, and Cosmic Storm, which has a space motif.

Beautiful and Charming coordinators rely on long flowing designs with feathers, jewels and other fine materials to make sure they look as good as their own appeals.

The two brands here are Notte Royal, which focuses on royalty and nobility inspired designs with lots of jewels, and Angelic Crystal, which focuses on a lot of sky and snow motifs, with the odd other elemental motif.

Exotic and Rugged coordinators draw inspiration from cultures all over the world--typically one that is part of their heritage, or one that they enjoy learning about and immersing themselves in. Their goal is not to stereotype their culture, but to add something new and exciting to the Contest Hall--and that includes their look.

The two brands here are Spring Clover, which draws on Celtic motifs, and Sol Dorado, which draws on festive Latin American and Arabian designs.

Passion and Power coordinators take the neon from Cool and Heartthrob, the glamour of Beautiful and Charming, and a dash of Exotic and Rugged, and turn it all up to 11. These coordinators are not afraid to strut their stuff, and it shows.

The two brands here are Prism Stardust, which has a sparkling 80's style, and Glittering Magic, which relies on metallic colors and "magical" motifs.

Angelic and Heroic coordinators have an aura of playful mystery about them, and this is reflected in their costumes--regal designs and subdued versions of Beautiful or Power designs are what you'll see here.

The two brands here are Starlight Harmony, which draws on the legend of the Chosen of Lugia for inspiration, and Blossom Beat, which features flower and Beautifly motifs.
    coordinators have an aura of playful mystery about them, and this is reflected in their costumes--regal designs and subdued versions of Beautiful or Power designs are what you'll see here.

For example, May is a Cool coordinator with Passion influences, Dawn is a Beautiful coordinator with Passion influences, and Serena is a Passion coordinator with Exotic influences

Keep in mind:

--Gen 7 Pokémon and the known Gen 8 Pokémon are allowed, they just can't know any moves that were introduced in Gen 7 or Gen 8
    --Pokémon can use any possible move they know that has a contest type, not just four moves.
    --Any song from a rhythm game (DDR, In the Groove, Pop n' Music, Samba de Amigo, etc.) is fine for use in Dance competitions
    --We will be visiting a mix of the known Kanto Contest Halls and some new ones invented just for the RP
    --You can't change Pokémon in the middle of a Contest--you're stuck with the one Pokémon you enter with
    --Coordinators can't be eliminated from a Contest--you'll still get a chance to compete in all three events
    --Coordinators do not battle, so there is no need for you to practice battling.

If you have any questions at any point, just ask me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    ChocoChicken and Momo Kiseki like this.
  2. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,338.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Oh gosh. That's a lot. I think I'll try it out, though. Just going to re-use one of my oldest characters here.
    Your character's name: Christopher O. Clifton
    Your character's age: Around 12
    Your character's general appearance: Brown-haired, brown-eyed, with an Asian-like skin tone. Very short, only 4 foot 8 inches tall. His hair is usualyl straight, but turns up at the ends and manages to tangle itself up very easily.
    Your character's personality/known history: He's extremely hot-headed and acts irrationally. Always speaks up for himself, to the point of bluntness - if it's someone he doesn't want to upset, he'll try to soften the blow a little. Competitive, but a good sportsman in most cases. He's extremely loyal to those he trusts. In the same way, he can hold a grudge for years. Stubborn to the point where you literally cannot change his mind if he's really, really set on something. However, he is childish and naïve - he's still young, after all.
    Your character's Pokémon:
    - Cayenne: Fletchling (M), moves Flame Charge (TM), Double Team (TM), Agility and Tailwind
    - Cassia: Swablu (F), moves Mist, Round, Sing and Mirror Move.
    - Clove: Ralts (M), moves Magical Leaf, Disarming Voice, Heal Pulse and Psychic (TM)
    - Saffron: Spritzee (F), moves Fairy Wind, Sweet Kiss, Sweet Scent and (rather weak) Return (TM).
    - Fennel: Inkay (M), moves Hidden Power (TM)(Ghost), Psybeam, Psychic (TM) and Trick Room.
    (It was hard trying to not make these all birds, but I tried.)
    Your character's coordinator type: Uhh... let's go with Heroic with Dreamy elements.
    Your character's preferred brand: If it doesn't have to be his chosen type, Angelic Crystal's less flamboyant designs. If not, Starlight Harmony.

Also, a question - for the Dance round, are songs without lyrics (still from a rhythm game) allowed? I'm thinking of songs more like Just Shapes and Beats or Geometry Dash, with more techno/electronic aspects than the examples I've seen in Shine Diamond.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    @ChocoChicken

Instrumentals are fine for the Dance round--so long as you can adequately describe your Pokémon's dance and how they interact with the music.

You are not squarely set in your preferred type--you can mix and match to create your own look.

Remember that you are not limited to just four moves--you can use any move your Pokémon can learn with a Contest type.

Foe now, you are Accepted!

#3 May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,338.0
    Oh, thank you! So you can literally use any move as long as it's not from Gen 7? That's a lot of moves, but it's understandable - you can only mix and match moves for so long.

5. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    @ChocoChicken

Pretty much--any move with a Contest type is valid, so you do not have to limit yourself to four moves.

6. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Alright here I go, signing up for my first ever RP!
    Your character's name: Lily Willows
    Your character's age: 10
    Your character's general appearance:
    My profile pic is a good example but for a short explanation.
    She has brown hair in pigtails, blue eyes.
    She wears winter themed clothes often with lots of pink and white, and has a key stone on a necklace.
    Your character's personality/known history:
    Happy, bright and energetic. She loves performing far more than she likes researching like her mother.
    She gets along well with all her Pokémon however...she does have an allergy to Eevee's which made catching one to get Glaceon very...very fun.
    She loves water, ice or fire types.
    She stubborn and doesn't give up easily. She just won't quit and doesn't like to admit she's wrong but she knows (at least in perfomances) when she's lost. And she'll accept, she won't accept it easily but she will accept it.
    Miyuki - Glaceon(F): Icy Wind, Blizzard, Ice Shard, Round, Double Team, Quick Attack, Ice Fang.
    Marut - Absol(M) (Can Mega Evolve): Perish Song, Pursuit, Slash, Swords Dance, Psycho cut, Feint
    Agni - Fletchinder(M): Flame charge, Acrobatics, Tailwind, Steel wing, Ember, Razor Wind
    Hina - Ninetails (F): Ember, Quick Attack, Double Team, Flame Wheel, Flamethrower

Your character's coordinator type: Beautiful coordinator with a hint of Passion
    Your character's preferred brand: Glittering Magic

I think that's everything, I've never RP'd before so this is all sort of new to me. =)

#6 May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    WavePearl and ChocoChicken like this.
  7. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,338.0
    I think WavePearl mentioned you don't actually need moves. You can use any move from XY and before. Which is a lot of moves, but unique combinations are hard to come up with.

Momo Kiseki likes this.
  8. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Your character's name: Aria Sallow

Your character's age: 12

Your character's general appearance: Her black, long hair is neatly kept together by a headband. She wears a pastel blue cardigan and a white dress underneath. Her complexion is fair and she has gray eyes.

Your character's personality/known history: Sheltered for most of her life, Aria doesn't know much about the outside world except that it's apparently amazing, but dangerous at times. She knows how to socialize, but struggles to start a conversation. She always aims to make "a perfect performance," but they tend to be overly complex, and when things don't go as planned, she easily becomes frustrated. She can accept defeats in Contests, but it will always be followed up with thoughts like "what did I do wrong?"

Your character's Pokémon: (I didn't add any moves since I believe they can use any move?)
    Sky - Togepi (F)
    Cora - Flabébé (F)
    Vee - Finneon (M)
    Mavis - Ralts (F)
    Leo - Emolga (M)

Your character's coordinator type: Angelic with Beautiful elements

Your character's preferred brand: Starlight Harmony

#8 May 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    WavePearl likes this.
  9. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    @Momo Kisaragi

You did very well with your first signup--you do not have to limit yourself to just four moves. Your Pokémon can use any possible move they can learn with a Contest type.

You are Accepted!

@ShireHime

That looks good! You're right that you are not limited to just four moves.

You are Accepted!

ShireHime likes this.
  10. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    Thank you! I'm excited for the RP.

11. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    @ShireHime

Anytime! If you have any questions at all, just ask.

ShireHime likes this.
  12. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,138.7
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I, like Momo Kisaragi, have also never done an RP before so please tell me if I’m doing anything wrong.
    Your character’s name: Anita Crytonyx
    Your character’s age: 12
    General appearance: caramel-brown hair, in a single braid that goes halfway down her back. Big green eyes, small nose and other facial features. Overall small build, around 4’5.
    Personality: heavily inspired by color guard and dance, she works hard to be beautiful. She also feels the same for her Pokémon- she works hard for them to be as beautiful as possible as well. She will even go through the trouble of teaching them how to use a flag! She has performed in many Contests before, but she can get a bit arrogant about it (thinking she’s better than everyone else, thinking she’s “got everything in the bag”, etc.) In addition, she also happens to be an extremely sore loser, and will on occasion accuse others of cheating. She was also recently devastated by the loss of her first Pokémon, Primarina, who she trained for years.
    Your character’s Pokémon:
    Ampharos (Mega), Gardevoir, Nidoqueen, Tsareena, Milotic (replaced Primarina), Carbink
    Coordinator type: Beautiful/Charming with a hint of Passion Cute
    Coordinator brand: Notte Royal with a hint of Rainbow Parade

EDIT: I edited some things, they are in bold.

#12 May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
  13. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    @ValorVolcarona

I would take Diancie off--Carbink is fine, however.

Other than that, you are Accepted!

14. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Yes! I can't wait! =)

15. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,338.0
    I'm really excited to get to know you guys and your characters, too!

ShireHime and Momo Kiseki like this.
  16. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
  17. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Ok, sorry that this is so late. Been traveling (and still am), plus I've been sick the last couple of days. If I'm too late, then disregard this...

Your character's name: George Pevensie
    Your character's age: 13
    Your character's general appearance: 5'8" (tall for his age), brown hair, brown eyes
    Your character's personality/known history: Serious when he is training, but playful otherwise
    • Tron (Umbreon) (shiny)
    • Eliwood (Gallade)
    • Zero (Magnezone)
    • Fuunsaiki (Stantler)
    • Diego Vega (Ludicolo)
    • Bakugou (Typhlosion)
    Your character's coordinator type (explained below): Angelic/Heroic
    Your character's preferred brand (explained below): Starlight Harmony

#17 May 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  18. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    @ShinigamiMiroku

You're not too late--you still have time to get started.

You are Accepted!

19. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,338.0
    I have a question - how long should a Dance round's song be?

20. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    @ChocoChicken

About your standard Dance Dance Revolution/In the Groove/Pop n' Music/Samba de Amigo song (about 2 minutes and 30 seconds max, give or take a few seconds)