1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Fanfiction Pokemon: The Stage of Dreams

Discussion in 'Literature Library' started by WavePearl, Oct 3, 2021.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    (rated E10+ for fantasy stage violence and frightening images)

At long last, my series of Pokémon theatrical fantasy begins!

While this is set in my remixed anime timeline, you do not have to have read any of those before reading this--this is completely separate.

Episode 0: A Rival's Encouragement

After an epic adventure across Galar, the Isle of Armor, and the Crown Tundra, Ash and the gang took some time off to rest from their travels. But the memory of Wyndon's famous Melody Lane district stuck with Ash--since he and his companions were all skilled actors, musicians, fighters, and dancers, why not apply their skills to the wild and spirited martial arts epics of Waku, and the Tawame form of theater?

With some help from the others, Ash started up a troupe, and christened it the Kagayou Theater, after the shimmering and sparkling productions he and the others hoped to put on. Ash's subsequent call for actors ended up successful many times over, ending up with enough to create seven different subtroupes. The seven troupes were named after the Wakunese names for colors and the rainbow--Niji, Akai, Toukou, Kii, Midori, Aoi, and Murasaki.

While the group had no trouble finding actors, an impresaria in the Tawame actress turned director and publicist Rona Toyonaga, and a crew, there were some that had their doubts that the troupe would be successful.

The fledgling troupe quickly silenced the naysayers, becoming overnight household names across Waku. Critics raved about their spirited and exciting plays, and if a play ever flopped at all, it was often reworked into something better.

Before long, it was time for the seven troupes of the Kagayou to think about the next logical step on the road to fame--a tour across Waku, and beyond...

---------

Awed chatter filled the parking lot of the Kagayou Theater as the many actors and crew gawked at the colorful wagons waiting for them outside. A deep brown haired woman beamed with pride at the line of 25 wagons in the lot, each one decorated in traditional Wakunese patterns. "Everyone...I've heard your pleas for traveling beyond our theater here in Pallet...so this is how you will be traveling, very much like how Tawame and Gekijou troupes have traveled for thousands of years."

"What about the other troupes?" Ash wondered. A caravan hundreds of wagons strong would be a nightmare to transport on boats or planes...

"They have their own set of wagons that they will travel in." the woman explained. "They can easily be dismantled for storage on a boat or plane, as well. This means that while one troupe stays behind at the theater, the other six can be criss-crossing the world, bringing the Tawame theater experience to everyone."

"Wow...Rona, you think of everything!" Dawn smiled before hurrying to embrace the woman.

"Yes, thank you!" May agreed.

Brock admired a wagon with green arrow designs as more thank yous rang through the air. "I presume this arrow print wagon is mine?"

"Yes, Brock, that one is yours." Rona replied. "A fitting pattern for the Niji Troupe's best archer. Arrows also mean good luck, as they keep going forward, once shot.

She turned business-like again. "Let's not forget you guys still have the performance of 'The Beautifly and the Sacred Phoenix' here at the theater in a few days. Once that run concludes, we'll hitch up the Ponytas and hit the road on a grand tour of Waku!"

More cheers filled the air. "A tour of Waku?" Misty smiled. "Count me in!"

"Until then, we can finish preparations for 'The Beautifly and the Sacred Phoenix', and decide what other plays we want to do on our tour." Brock assured his co-star as the members of the Niji Troupe returned inside the theater.

"'The Beautifly and the Sacred Phoenix' has to be on our tour list for sure!" Serena smiled before hurrying backstage to get ready for rehearsal...

---------

"So, you're off on a grand tour of Waku..." Gary mused as he and Ash took a walk on one of Pallet's many walking trails a few nights later. "Has it sunk in that millions of people love this grand style of theater--and there are sizeable communities for it elsewhere?"

"I knew that there are sizeable communities across Europa and in Alola, and a growing community in Unova, but what's surprised me is how it's still loved here in Waku..." Ash explained. "Many thought we were just a flash in the pan, doomed to failure..."

"...and yet here you are--a sold out theater almost every night, every single cast and crew member loves what they do because of the supportive community you've built, and how you don't tolerate mistreatment in any form." Gary smiled. "Most of your critics were forced to eat their words, and those that believed in you guys and defended you from the naysayers are still cheering you on. Now, you're on the brink of your first real tour--if all of that doesn't tell me there's still an audience for the Tawame theater, I don't know what does."

He smiled. "Ash...I'm proud of you, the gang, and all the troupe members. You've created a real treasure that those of us in Pallet are proud of."

"Aw, thanks..." Ash blushed, a little embarrassed that his former rival was now singing his praises.

He offered two tickets to Gary. "If you and Prof. Oak aren't busy on Friday, I want to invite you both to 'The Beautifly and the Sacred Phoenix''s opening night."

"Really?" Gary smiled. "I've wanted to come see one of your shows, but research can be a demanding job...so I'll tell Gramps to clear the calendar for Friday night so we can come see your new show!"

He and Ash embraced. "I'll see you in the audience...my friend."

"And I'll give my all to the lead role, knowing you and Prof. Oak are watching." Ash replied.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Oct 3, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  2. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 1: Sacred Phoenix Makes His Debut (part 1)

A few nights later, the Kagayou hummed with excited chatter as people arrived for the premiere of 'The Beautifly and the Sacred Phoenix'. But backstage, the atmosphere was even more electric--actors and performers rushing into costumes, ancient instruments being brought into tune from the orchestra pit, dancers and martial artists getting in a few final stretches before the show started. But among all of the chaos, Ash--now wearing a red and gold costume with ornate flame and wing designs--looked out from the wings into the rapidly filling theater. "Ready to go?" Misty asked as she emerged from a dressing room in a deep blue warrior's costume with silver and light blue swirls on it.

"As I'm ever going to be." Ash replied. "I'm hoping Gary's here to watch tonight's show...once I know he is here, I'll finish getting ready."

"But what if some big project came up, and Gary can't come?" Misty asked. "Then what would you do?"

"I would still give my all for this role." Ash replied. "We've worked hard on this play, so I want to start our tour with a bang--if Gary is there, that would make tonight's performance even sweeter."

He smiled as he spotted a familiar brown haired woman, a familiar black haired man, Gary, and Prof. Oak, making their way to some empty seats in the middle rows. There they are...not only are Gary and Prof. Oak watching, but Mom and Dad are too. Now I have to be extra sure I play my role well tonight!

Serena--now in an ornate gold costume with glittering Delphox ears--arrived holding a beautiful and well loved side blown flute with ruby studs, wing designs, and a red tassel near the embouchure hole. "Delivery for the hero! Here's your flute..."

She next delivered a prop one handed sword to Ash. "...and here's your sword."

"Thanks, Serena..." Ash smiled as he slipped the flute into a hidden protective sleeve in his costume, then set the sword by his right leg. "Let's do this!"

"You're not needed until Scene 2, and after Scene 1, I'm not needed again until Act 2." Serena explained.

Brock arrived with May and Dawn not far behind. "This is it, everyone...the last few months all come down to tonight."

"Bad dress rehearsal, good opening night, right?" Ash smiled as he laid a hand on top of Misty's hand. Serena then laid a hand on top of Ash, Brock laid a hand on top of Serena, May laid a hand on top of Brock, and Dawn laid a hand on top of May. For a brief moment, the pile of hands resembled what a sports team would create before a game.

Finally, the group of six best friends unleashed their good luck cheer. "Shimmering! Sparkling! Light! Go, Ka-ga-YOU!!!!!"

---------

Applause filled the darkened theater as the orchestra finished the play's overture some moments later. "Once upon a time, in a land far away from here, there was a shining kingdom ruled by a kind and just Emperor and Empress..." a girl in a green and silver narrator's robe began, periodically playing a few soft chords on an ancient bow shaped harp. "The Emperor and Empress cared deeply for all their subjects, but the one thing they loved most was their daughter, Princess Golden Beautifly..."

Let's see...after the narrator is done, Scene 1 is the prophecy scene with Serena, and then Scene 2 is the scene where Sacred Phoenix and Princess Golden Beautifly meet, fulfilling the Imperial Delphox's auspicious prophecy... Ash reminded himself as the narrator finished setting the scene, and the curtains opened on a magnificent throne room set, where the actor playing the Emperor and an actor playing the court mystic discussed what sort of suitor Princess Golden Beautifly would take as a husband.

Just then, the dialogue and song onstage ran into a blur as a sick feeling welled up in his stomach. Oh Arceus, not now! I have to show Sacred Phoenix as brave and confident, not a blathering mess!

"Hey..." A familiar stage whisper and a hand rubbing his shoulder seemed to calm Ash's stage fright. "Breathe for me, okay? Big breaths."

Ash obediently took a few deep breaths to dispel the Beautiflies in his stomach as Brock continued rubbing his shoulder. "The audience is your friend, not your foe, okay? Just pretend Delia, Taran, Gary, and Prof. Oak are the only ones watching." Brock assured Ash. "You've done hundreds of other plays before, and you did just fine."

He noticed Ash's nervous breathing had calmed down. "Now, are we calm?" he asked.

"I think so..." Ash replied as he composed himself. "I guess everyone being here hit me like a ton of bricks..."

"It's okay to be nervous before a big performance like this." Brock assured Ash. "Calm down, remind yourself you've done well with preparation, you know all your lines, solos, fights, and acts, then let the nerves go."

He gestured to Serena nearly dancing on the stage as she told the Emperor and the chief mystic, in song, a prophecy--Princess Golden Beautifly was due to marry a phoenix-born, and ensure a long age of peace and plenty when she took the throne for herself. "Can you try and convey that same confidence Serena has out there in your first scene?"

Ash nodded. "Yeah...thanks."

Brock nodded. "I'm not on until Act 2, so after you're done with Scenes 2 and 3, you have the rest of Act 1 to relax."

A smile formed on Ash's face as the lights went down to end Scene 1. "Okay...it's time for my scene." With that, he quickly hurried into position as the stage ninjas transformed the palace set into an exquisite garden in the darkness...

---------

"A few days later, Princess Golden Beautifly was taking a walk in the royal garden." the narrator went on. "Suddenly, her solitude was interrupted by a voice--a strong, heroic voice."

And there is my cue. Ash grinned before taking a deep breath and unleashing a heroic cry:

Aiyaiya aiyaiya aiyaiya-haha!

The orchestra joined in with a triumphant melody as Ash appeared in a spotlight atop a platform hidden in a prop tree, allowing him to dance as he sang his first song of the play:

I won't give up these strong emotions!
    These endless, strong emotions!
    This immortal melody won't lose to anyone!

Arise, make those immortal dreams into your wings
    And fly together with me to the future!

Hear this phoenix song!

Your courage will never betray you,
    The road you travel will become a star...
    Illuminating the path that continues before you
    All the way into the shining, sparkling future!

For what I will protect, I can swear
    I can be proud; I'm not afraid of anything
    The flame of my soul
    Will never disappear!

Arise, make those immortal dreams into your wings
    And fly together with me to the future!

Hear this phoenix song!

Applause rang through the theater at the song's conclusion, but no one was prouder than Brock as he quietly applauded backstage. Way to go! That's the brave and heroic Ash I know!

#2 Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  3. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 2: Sacred Phoenix Makes His Debut (part 2)

Backstage, Ash watched from the wings as May, as Princess Golden Beautifly, angrily refused Black Ghost's ultimatum to marry him or die in a song of fury. "This is definitely a different side of May..." Brock admitted. "Although she tends to play sweet and softspoken characters, she is a little bit like you--and not afraid to show off her heroic side when it counts."

Ash nodded in agreement. "She's doing great not letting her real life emotions take over while singing the song--unlike how I broke down in tears while rehearsing my big number in Act 2..."

---------

...Now if my voice should reach you, and my song should touch your heart,
    I hope it heals all of your grief and pain... Ash sang from a piece of sheet music as Rona played accompaniment on a well loved red-brown piano in a private rehearsal room.

Then if you hear Him calling you to go and do the same,
    Go forth, and heal the world through your song!

He suddenly felt tears welling up in his eyes, but did his best to fight them back and power through the two final choruses. When you're in despair, and the rain falls,
    I will... This was as far as he got before breaking down in tears.

"What's the matter, Ash?" Rona asked as she stopped playing, concerned about the tears streaming down her lead actor's face.

Ash composed himself. "Sorry...this song is so beautiful, I couldn't help but shed a few real tears."

Rona just smiled. "That's the kind of tears the Tawame theater is known for--not tears of drama and despair, but tears over something so beautiful, so amazing, so inspiring, that even the actors can't help but cry a little."

She offered Ash a Kleenex box. "Do you think you can continue, or should we work on a different song?"

"I think I can continue." Ash replied as he wiped the tears from his eyes, then retrieved his sheet music. "Where should we start?"

"Let's try the song's final choruses again." Rona began as she played an expectant F chord. "Remember, this is the big power moment of the song, so make it good."

With that, she played the few measures leading up to the final choruses to give Ash an introduction. When you're in despair, and the rain falls,
    I will sing, and summon forth the sun! Ash sang, this time with more confidence.

I will sing of dreams, and what could be
    I'll be right here by your side,
    Singing a song of hope, ah...

When the sun rises, and lights the world,
    That is when all our dreams come true!
    I'll be by your side, protecting you
    I will sing a song for you,
    A song to touch your heart!

Rona smiled as she played the song's ending. "Very good! Can you maintain that kind of power when you have the orchestra backing you?"

"I think so...although...can you have one of the stage ninjas have a box of Kleenex ready opening night...just in case?" Ash asked.

"I'll see what I can do." Rona replied. "Now, are we ready to try the whole thing with the piano before we go back to the stage and block the song?"

"Yeah...let's take it from the top." Ash smiled, flipping his sheet music back to the start of the song...

---------

...thankfully, the second time around I was able to make it through the song without crying." Ash concluded his story some time later. "And so far, I haven't broken down with the orchestra and you guys on the stage."

Brock heard a dramatic sting on the stage, signalling that May's character was about to "transform" into a Beautifly and flee the palace. "Well, remember that your big number is pivotal to Act 2--Sacred Phoenix is also processing Princess Golden Beautifly's predicament, plus he is assuring her that he stands ready to help her on the quest to find and free her parents."

Ash nodded. "Okay...see you in a few minutes." With that, he turned and watched as May defiantly sang, with smoke and light hiding the trapdoor taking her below the stage:

Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
    Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
    Katoradis favel siicletu edena...
    Emusto koron zen fine, si...

When the rumbling, smoke and light faded some moments later, the orchestra played a triumphant flourish as a beautiful gold Beautifly puppet appeared where May was standing seconds before! The audience's cheers were just as enthusiastic as the puppet's three performers made it "fly" elegantly offstage, leaving the actor playing Black Ghost and the extras playing soldiers to gawk in amazement...

---------

"Princess Golden Beautifly flew as fast as she could away from the palace." the narrator explained as the Beautifly puppet "flew" across the darkened stage. "She eventually came to a plain in the east of the realm, where her beloved waited for her."

The lights came up on Ash on the set of a plain, with a few trees and "rain" in the background. The puppet's arrival made him balk in amazement as it "disappeared" in a plume of gold smoke and light, revealing May in her glittering gold costume again. "Your Grace...are you all right?" he asked as he led May to a rock.

"I am well, but I can't say likewise to my father and mother..." May sighed. "Black Ghost has taken them prisoner, and proclaimed himself Emperor! But I will never bow before, or marry, someone like him!"

"Do you know where Black Ghost's men have taken the true Emperor and Empress?" Ash asked.

"All I know is that they are hidden somewhere in the realm, in places well guarded with monsters and traps." May replied. "But that means I have no idea where to begin looking for them!"

She sighed. "What do we do now? We can't go back to the palace...and I will not let Black Ghost destroy this beautiful realm, and oppress the people!"

With that, she covered her face with her hands in feigned frustration as the orchestra played the introduction to Ash's song. Let us take the time to grieve, let the tears begin to fall,
    Down upon the earth like rain, until it becomes the sea...
    Ash sang as he walked across the stage, stopping at the rock May was sitting on.

He then looked at May. One day we will look back, and reflect upon this day.
    We'll remember that we loved, then we'll let that love run free!

Let our love shine on, through the mist of many years,
    Deep inside my heart, is the hope that's roamed everywhere!

He then looked out at the audience When you're in despair, and the rain falls,
    I will sing, and summon forth the sun!
    As if on cue, the "rain" dissipated, and the set's "sky" became a colorful sunrise!

Singing a song of hope...

Ash next set down next to May, spurring her to look at him in feigned sadness. On those nights without a moon, and you're waiting all alone,
    You can come and stay with me, I won't even ask you why.

Beautifly, awake! It's the miracle of life!
    The circle of life, it goes on...and it will endure!

A smile formed on May's face as Ash started the song's bridge. Now if my voice should reach you, and my song should touch your heart,
    I hope it heals all of your grief and pain.
    Then if you hear Him calling you to go and do the same,
    Go forth, and heal the world through your song!

Ash looked out on the audience again, and unleashed the final two choruses. When you're in despair, and the rain falls,
    I will sing, and summon forth the sun!
    Singing a song of hope, ah...

As the song ended, the audience roared with applause as the lights went down. But for Ash, a sense of relief filled his heart as a stage ninja discretely brought him a Kleenex box. I did it, Rona--I saved my tears for the end! he thought as he wiped a few tears from his eyes, then composed himself for the play's next scene...

4. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 3: The Caravan of Dreams Departs

A few days later, the group crowded around a table in an actor's lounge to see the reviews for "The Beautifly and the Sacred Phoenix"'s opening performance. "Okay..." Brock began as he set aside the theater section of the local newspaper and some notes on radio and TV reviews, and opened several sites and social media pages that had reviews for the play. "The newspaper says 'The Beautifly and the Sacred Phoenix' a worthy addition to the Kagayou's stable of adventures. Only quibble was May singing a little too softly during Act 1..."

"Work on projecting my voice like Ash...got it!" May smiled. "I'll admit I was a little nervous..."

"The newspaper critic chalked it up to nerves, too--you definitely turned up the volume for the big transformation scene at the end of Act 1!" Brock smiled as he set aside the newspaper.

"Clarifying...work on singing at a good volume consistently." May mused. "What else did the critics say?"

"TV and radio reviews are very favorable too..." Brock went on. "Pokebook, Chitter, and Memogram have very enthusiastic feedback, even after weeding out the spam. If they had anything to complain about at all, it was May's volume and Ash missing a few notes during 'Phoenix Lands on the Mountain Peak'."

"To be fair, those really fast runs and lingering nerves did it." Ash explained. "I'll definitely remember to give fast passages a little extra practice to account for nerves."

"That's the spirit!" Misty smiled as she watched Brock shut the PC down. "Now that our last performance here for a while is done, we're hitting the road on our grand tour today!"

Ash smiled as he organized his bags and a gig bag holding a Pokeflute and several whistles. "Got my packing done last night, and my bansi's safe with the other instruments in the orchestra's wagon."

"Well, go get your stuff so we can start loading up the wagons." Misty replied as the group hurried off to retrieve their bags and supplies for the long journey. "Once we're all loaded up, Rona will give us final instructions before we set out."

"Unlike Tawame troupes of old, we're not camping out in the open every night." Brock explained as he brought over his bags and a well loved guitar case. "While we will have to do that at some points on the route, Rona's found lodging that can accommodate the caravan in most every place we plan to stop."

May smiled when she saw the guitar case. "Have acoustic guitar on a trip, will travel."

"That, and my vina's packed away in the orchestra's wagon." Brock explained. "So if we need a break from all the trad Wakunese tunes, we can play trad Galarian, Kalosian, and Unovan tunes at night."

Serena arrived with a well loved instrument case of her own among her bags. "I'm bringing my own fiddle and my mandolin."

"I can at least play percussion around the campfire, if Rona deems dancing too dangerous in the open..." May smiled as she brought over her bags, with Dawn not far behind.

"Okay...are we SURE we have everything we're gonna bring on the trip?" Brock asked. "If you need to go back for something or double check that everything's in order, do it now."

Something occurred to Misty. "Come to think of it, I DID forget a few important things!" With that, she hurried down the hall to the actor's residential complex.

She returned a few moments later with her own fiddle case and a large canvas shopping bag depicting a blue soap bar. "There...now I'm ready to go. I'm sure everyone in the Akai troupe will take care of the theater while the rest of us are on the road."

"Rona gave the Akai's impresaria a wireless GPS monitor-so if she does have to send mail to us, she knows exactly where any of the touring troupes are." Brock explained. "Let's go load the wagons."

---------

Rona smiled as the group arrived with their gear. "Good morning, all--once you've loaded your wagon, I'll explain how each stop on our tour is going to work, okay?"

"Right!" the group chorused before hurrying towards the line of colorful wagons in the theater's parking lot.

"I assume this one is mine..." Ash smiled before climbing in a gold wagon with chrysanthemum designs interwoven with red phoenixes.

He noticed Misty carrying the shopping bag. "What's that for?"

"Soap bars!" Misty smiled. "In many places, even in Waku, it is acceptable to give a bar of soap along with or in place of money. So if you wanna see the show, just donate what you can, or give a bar of soap. What's not kept for souvenirs or our personal use will go in here."

"That's a clever idea..." Rona smiled as she looked in on Ash organizing his gear in his wagon. "You do have Wi Fi in your wagon--each wagon has its own personal network, so you have online access even in the middle of nowhere."

Ash smiled as he unpacked his gear, turning the wagon into what more or less resembled a bedroom, complete with a sturdy countertop with drawers. This made plenty of room to eat or set something down. A laptop and a charging station for a red 3DS and his PokeNav sat on the table, and a sleeping bag was rolled up in the right corner. A plug station for the laptop and any portable appliances was tucked away in a corner, so it wouldn't be jostled. His instruments were in a shady corner by the sleeping bag, and his personal items and everyday clothes were in the back, so they wouldn't fly out of the wagon or damaged by the elements.

Once sure he was happy with his setup, Ash took his PokeNav, climbed from the wagon, and hurried to meet the others out in the center of the empty parking lot...

---------

"Now, here's how every stop on our tour will work..." Rona explained. "We will rehearse shows while we travel, and stay for a week at each stop, performing two performances of a show at each stop. On days we don't perform, you guys are free to relax and see the sights. If you have family in the area, you can visit them, as well."

"If you're from an area, you can show the troupe around, right?" Misty asked.

"Of course." Rona smiled.

A buzz from his PokeNav got Ash's attention, snapping him from Rona speaking. Hi, Ash--good luck on your grand tour! Delia's text read, complete with a Pikachu emoji and a Moltres emoji.

Thanks. Ash typed back, looking up to be sure he didn't miss anything important. You can call or text anytime--our wagons have wi-fi.

Another buzz got his attention. hey it's gary, best of luck on the tour, superstar!

Thanks. Ash typed back, aware of the Pokémon wranglers hitching Ponytas to the wagons. All our shows will be broadcast on our official site and on MyTube, if you wanna watch.

what show are you doin first? Gary asked, complete with a curious Umbreon emoji.

"Our first show for the tour will be 'Princess Kaguya of the Heavenly Bamboo'." Rona explained. "Once we get on the road, we'll hold auditions..."

A version of Princess Kaguya. Ash typed. Sounds like a more adventurous version of the story.

can't wait. Gary typed back. Safe travels, and hope to see you in the audience!

I'll do my best. Ash typed back. The briefing appeared to be over, so he returned to the wagon.

He watched as one of the crew members closed up the wagon. "We'll be departing shortly." he smiled.

Ash nodded. "Just had to say my goodbyes to family and friends first."

After a few tense moments, he felt the wagon begin to move as the team of Ponytas gracefully made their way out of the theater's parking lot and into the wagon lane on the road, to cheers from a throng of onlookers. Our grand tour of Waku, here we go! he smiled as he invited his faithful Pikachu Tintri on his lap and settled in to read a comic...

5. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 4: The Tale of the Rained Out Bamboo

For a while, the caravan's journey was uneventful. In between rehearsals for the troupe's re-imagining of "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" as an adventure tale, Ash had spent the time reading what comics and novels he packed, responding to messages, and enjoying the view of the plains and hills rolling by, as well as the Pokémon wranglers walking alongside the wagons.

A beep from a small wireless radio lying on the table got his attention. "Emerald Raikou calling Ruby Phoenix, come in..." Brock's voice crackled over the tiny radio's speaker.

Ash scrambled to the table and snatched up the radio. "This is Ruby Phoenix..."

"Great Rainbow says we should be arriving at our first stop soon." Brock explained. "Once we get there, we'll set things up, and take the stage at 6 tonight in the Great Spring's bamboo garden. If it rains, the contingency plan is to perform in the nearby city's theater. We can also get supplies, explore and rest in between shows."

Ash smiled. "Roger--see you in a few minutes. Ruby Phoenix out."

He smiled as he put the radio back. Those wireless radios Rona got us are an Arceus-send! We can talk to each other even though we may be in very different wagons or locations!

Just then, he spotted a large river flowing into a large bamboo grove in the distance, with a town in the distance. That's gotta be the Great Spring...

He nudged his Pikachu awake as the wagons came to a stop near a fork in the road. "Hey...we're here."

[mmm...are you gonna perform yet?] Tintri yawned.

Ash was about to answer when a boom got his attention. "Oh no..."

He felt the wagons start to move again as the Ponytas made their way into the small town. Despite the pouring rain, many of the townsfolk cheered as the caravan passed through the town square and headed for a majestic building with a sloped roof at the north end of town. Looks no different than our theater... Ash thought as the wagon's arrived in the caravan unloading area. The Pokémon wranglers recalled the Ponytas to their Poke Balls to rest, then opened up the wagons to allow the actors and other crew to stretch and assist in unloading.

Misty arrived some moments later. "I was looking forward to performing in the bamboo grove tonight, but I'm no Castform--I don't control the weather."

"Good thing Rona had the foresight to have a plan B in case our outdoor venue got rained out." Ash assured Misty. "Fingers crossed that we'll get to perform our second show in the bamboo grove like we planned..."

"We will--the rain will move out by tomorrow night, so we can perform in the bamboo grove later this week." Rona replied as she studied a radar on WeatherNav. "For tonight, we'll have to perform in the theater--KNTO says that the rain will last through tonight, making it too dangerous to perform outside."

She addressed the crowd of concerned actors. "Actors, go on inside the theater and get ready for tonight--we're not letting a little rain ruin our first tour stop!"

"Yeah--the show must go on!" Ash agreed before leading the charge into the stage door...

---------

Later that evening, the audience in the theater watched as Dawn--now wearing a purple, blue, white, and gold kimono-like outfit that looked like shimmering crystal--addressed Ash, Misty, Brock, Serena, and May on the set of a courtyard in a Waku that never was. "Of all those that have answered my call, you four will accompany me and my envoy Ran on my quest to save the realm of mortals from calamity."

"A calamity?" Brock gasped. "What sort of calamity?"

"No doubt you have heard the news that the rogue called Jade Devil is even now making his way to the imperial palace." Dawn explained. "By the authority of Arceus, I have come to put a stop to his ambitions before he can plunge the mortal realm into an age of woe!"

"What can we do to stop Jade Devil?" Misty asked. "Many have tried to bring him to justice, but so far, all have failed."

"In order to stop Jade Devil, we will need five divine jewels that will dispel his evil aura, and protect us from his demonic arts." Dawn explained. "First, we will travel far to the west to find the Ruby of Enlightened Flame. Next, we travel to Golden Tree Mountain in the Eastern Sea, where we will search for the Emerald of the Grateful Earth. From there, we must seek out the sword wielding Noble Pikachu Tachigami, and convince him to give us the Topaz of the Brilliant Storm. Then, we will slay the notorious dragon Souzen, and claim the Shining Pearl. And finally, we will journey to the peak of Celestial Crown Mountain, and claim the Brilliant Diamond."

Ash nodded as he got up to address Dawn. "No matter how far we may have to go, milady, we stand ready to assist you and protect you on this great quest!"

Cheers filled the theater as he rendered a respectful salute to both May and Dawn with a prop sword. "This will likely be a long journey, milady..." Misty cautioned. "So if you will allow us some time to prepare, we will set out at morning's first light!"

"Very well--we will set out as soon as we have enough supplies for our journey." Dawn replied.

I still wish we left in the bit about Son Goku guiding us to the west... Ash thought as he made his exit. But to be fair, a comical character like Son Goku would be very out of place in an adventurous play like this.

He listened as Brock, now alone on the stage, set the next scene. "The five knights eagerly made their preparations for the perilous quest. Just as Chiyuki had promised, the lady of the moon, her Beautifly envoy, and her four bodyguards departed at dawn the next day..."

6. AgunomuAnn

Come here, Lugia!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽88.6
    Nice story. I look forward to reading more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 5: A Flight in the Garden, Grounded

"Well...seems our performance of 'Princess Kaguya' in the bamboo garden went over well, even if we had to move the first performance inside due to rain." Brock smiled as he read over the theater section of the Arts and Life section of the newspaper. It had been a few days since the performance in question, and the caravan had made camp in a field for the night.

"I'm just thankful the lunar platform at the end worked, and I was able to rise into the sky like you typically see Princess Kaguya." Dawn remembered as she admired a picture of herself waving goodbye in character to the cast down below. "Part of me worried I was gonna crash onto the stage, but everything worked, and I was able to fly. Doing it in the bamboo garden on a starry night was a nice touch."

She looked over at Ash, who was stargazing in the grass with Tintri at his side. "Hoping to find Princess Kaguya up there?"

"Nope...it's a little early for Tanabata yet, so I don't see Hikoboshi and Orihime either." Ash admitted as he got up from the grass.

"I can assure you we will get to do 'The Tauros-herd and the Weaving Maid' a few times this summer season." Brock assured Ash as he joined Ash and Dawn by the main campfire. "You and Dawn would make a perfect Hikoboshi and Orihime."

"We'd match, at least." Ash agreed, spurring giggles to ripple through the camp.

"As for what we're doing next...Misty interjected as she arrived by the campfire. "'Song of the Roving Taillow, with May in the lead."

She explained "The play's about Luminous Taillow--May's role. She is a young heroine on a journey to better her martial arts and seek her fortune. While in a town, she crosses paths with the notorious Jade Seviper, but she is rescued by Rainbow Phoenix--your role, Ash. He has a long history with Jade Seviper.

"Sounds fun!" Ash smiled. "I like playing characters that have a bone to pick with the villain..."

"Fearing that Jade Seviper could find her again, Luminous Tallow asks Rainbow Phoenix to train her, and Rainbow Phoenix agrees." Misty went on. "After befriending Rainbow Phoenix's companions--played by the rest of us. Luminous Taillow receives appropriate training from all of them, and becomes very powerful. After a long world spanning chase with a quest, the group confronts Jade Seviper, defeat her, and are hailed as heroes."

After acknowledging her applause, Misty explained "The best part? If all the permissions fall in our favor, we'll get to do this show in a real Wakunese garden."

Some concerned murmurs filled the camp. "Are you sure that's okay?" May asked. "Some historic gardens are not that enamored with theater troupes ruining the plants and wildlife..."

"I haven't seen the garden before, but on the off chance they do say no, there's a theater in the nearby town." Misty explained. "I do know that the caretakers of the Eternal Song Garden don't mind people playing music in the garden--they have a pavilion explicitly for that purpose."

"Maybe if we can't do a play in the garden, we can have a session in the garden?" Ash suggested. "Galarian tunes, Unovan mountain tunes and seaside tunes, and Kalosian tunes?"

"I'm game." Brock smiled as he hung a cooking pot over the campfire to begin cooking campfire nachos. "Made sure to pack one of my guitars just for such an occasion--not my main acoustic electric one, but my main traveling guitar."

He smiled at his excited friends. "And yes, we will have a campfire sing along after dinner."

Cheers filled the camp as Brock went to work making dinner for the night...

---------

"No matter if the sky, the earth, or even the sea stands in my way, I will pierce through them all with my rainbow and fly!" Ash announced to no one in particular the next morning. "I am--!"

"We're up early today, aren't we, Ash?" a familiar female voice giggled.

Ash whirled around to see Rona approaching him in the field near the caravan's camp. "Oh, good morning, Rona! I was just getting in some practice before we rehearse in town later today."

"I'm hopeful we can reach town before sunset, so we do have time to rehearse in the theater." Rona assured Ash. "If we need to camp again tonight, I've found another field we can camp in that is near town."

A thought occurred to Ash. "What happens if we can't perform in the Eternal Song Garden?"

"If that happens, we'll perform in the theater, just like last time when 'Princess Kaguya' got rained out on our arrival night." Rona assured Ash. "No matter what setbacks await us on the road, I will do everything I can to make sure the show DOES go on!"

"Okay..." Ash smiled before trying his entrance call again. "No matter if the sky, the earth, or even the sea stands in my way, I will pierce through them all with my rainbow and fly! I am the hero of seven colors, Rainbow Phoenix!"

Rona applauded Ash's triumphant pose. "Not bad! I would only suggest slowing down your speech a little. I get that you may be excited or nervous when you say this line, but the audience won't understand you if you say it at 100 miles an hour. So calm down, and give your entrance speech the punch it needs. You are one of the play's main heroes--act like it!"

Ash nodded, then heroically proclaimed to the rising sun "No matter if the sky, the earth, or even the sea stands in my way, I will pierce through them all with my rainbow and fly! I am the hero of seven colors, Rainbow Phoenix!"

"YES!!!" That's what I'm looking for!" Rona smiled. "Can you keep what I've told you in mind when we have rehearsal later?"

Ash nodded. "I'll do my best."

---------

Later, concerned murmurs filled the Theater of Eternal Song as Rona met the Niji Troupe later that afternoon. "Everyone...as much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, the caretakers of the Eternal Song Garden do not wish us to perform in the garden itself."

"Aw"s filled the air. "I understand that a lot of you were looking forward to performing in the garden." Rona went on. "But the Eternal Song Garden is a historic landmark--and the caretakers fear we could damage some of the priceless landscaping and buildings with our show. So we will rehearse and perform in here.

"Can we at least do some kind of performance in the garden?" Misty asked.

"The caretakers say any sort of music, dance, or readings can be done in the garden." Rona explained. "But you should do that on your own time."

Serena looked unusually calm as the crew made their way backstage to set things up for rehearsal. "You, me, the others--session in the garden after rehearsal?"

Ash nodded. "I'll bring the Pokeflute and a few whistles."

"Well, it'll give us SOMETHING to look forward to after rehearsal..." Brock admitted. "I'll pack the guitar, we'll pick a pavilion to play in, and just play--no rules, no sheet music."

"I can get behind that." Misty agreed. "I'll get the fiddle from the wagon after we finish rehearsal, but let's get through rehearsal first!"

8. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 6: Phoenix Rescues Luminous Talllow

A few days later, May looked out from the wings at the rapidly filling theater. "Wow! Look at the crowd!"

"I guess not being allowed to perform in the garden wasn't so bad after all..." Misty smiled as she emerged from a dressing room in a blue warrior's costume with dragon designs. "But at the same time, I get where the garden caretakers where coming from, too."

She slung a twinblade sheath on her back, accepted two small prop swords with shimmering blue blades from a weapons crew member, and slid them into the two scabbards. "At least we won't have to worry about messing up a theater..."

Dawn arrived in a shimmering purple robe that almost looked silver. "It's almost time..."

May nodded, then started towards the hall leading to the dressing rooms. "I know...let me get into costume real fast..."

After a few moments, she emerged in a teal traveler's costume that evoked a Shiny Taillow. Ash was not far behind her in a colorful costume that evoked flames. "Ready?" he asked.

May nodded. "We've done this several times in rehearsal, and we did well. I'm gonna really struggle, so come like you're really gonna save me!"

Ash nodded. "The part where I rescue you is one of my favorite scenes in Act 1, actually...I'm coming expecting a fight, so Jade Seviper better be ready!"

Even Brock was laughing as he emerged from the dressing rooms in a glittering green costume. "I'm actually looking forward to your training scene." he told May as a stagehand arrived to slip a prop flower behind Dawn's right ear to complete her costume.

Serena arrived in a glittering silver dancer's costume, complete with a pearl studded headpiece. "Took long enough just to get the headpiece on..." she muttered as she accepted a silver ribbon from a stagehand.

Once Brock had received a green studded bow and some familiar glittering green prop arrows from a stagehand, the group of six best friends unleashed their good luck cheer as the lights flashed the five minute warning. "Shimmering! Sparkling! Light! Go, Ka-ga-YOU!!!!!"

With that, they hurried to their places as the orchestra started a festive overture...

---------

The lights came up on the set of an ancient Wakunese town as the narrator had finished setting the scene for the pivotal moment of Act 1--Rainbow Phoenix rescuing Luminous Taillow. Backstage, Ash smiled as he watched May walk around the town set, delivering her character's monologue. This role is perfect for May--sweet, but brave and fearless too! he thought.

He smiled as May gave her character's introduction. "I hope that one day, my light shines upon the land, and I am revered as a true hero. I am the hopeful hero taking flight on shining wings, Luminous Talllow!"

I have to be listening for her call for help... Ash reminded himself as May continued walking around the set, visiting with some actors playing townsfolk. The songs don't come into play until Act 2 starts. It's okay, though...this works nicely as a spoken dramatic scene accompanied by music.

A dramatic stinger snapped him to attention. There's the encounter with Jade Seviper...I've gotta get ready.

After climbing into position, he finally heard May cry out his cue as the actress playing Jade Seviper approached with a red knife that evoked a Seviper fang. "Someone help meeeeeeeee!"

Ash calmly draw his prop blade, getting the actress playing Jade Seviper's attention as a spotlight appeared on him. "No matter if the sky, the earth, or even the sea stands in my way, I will pierce through them all with my rainbow and fly! I am the hero of seven colors, Rainbow Phoenix!"

The audience cheered over the orchestra's triumphant stinger. "Oh ho, so someone wants to fight?" the actress playing Jade Seviper smirked as Ash elegantly jumped down from his perch in front of May, silently daring the black, green, red, and blue clad woman to fight.

She waved away the Seviper fang knife and snapped, summoning a blue and black sword that resembled a shiny Seviper's tail. "I can arrange that!"

The audience watched in amazement as Ash jumped away from the woman's attack, then knocked the sword from her hands with his own blade! "I know you all too well, Jade Seviper." he shot back. "But I have not come to fight today..let me take this young lady into my care, and I will be on my way."

The actress playing Jade Seviper grimaced. "Very well, I will let you go for today." she began as she retrieved her blade. "But when we do finally clash, know that I will be the victorious one!"

"Boo"s went up as the lights went down, but the narrator's vina calmed the audience. "I'm so thankful they cut out that long fight..." May admitted.

"Yeah, Rona felt it made the scene drag for too long, and that it made more sense for the audience to see the fight at the climax of the play." Ash assured May. "For now, let's get ready for our next scene."

---------

"...Rainbow Phoenix took Luminous Taillow to the house where he and his companions lived." the narrator went on. "There, Luminous Taillow was welcomed as the newest member of the group, and the Five Great Heroes became six."

"Everyone, I'm back!" Ash called in the darkness. "I've found a new apprentice for us to train!"

A shimmering blue spotlight that evoked water appeared on the stage. "A single blue ray of light pierces through the ocean of stars. That light will then become sacred rain and purify the world. I am the warrior of the rivers and lakes, Azure Dragon!" Misty announced as she appeared in a swirl of "water" and light.

A green spotlight with swirling leaves appeared on the stage. "I am the hunter of splendid jewels hidden in the sacred forest." Brock intoned from the darkness. "With my bow in hand, I will move heaven and earth to find my prey!"

He struck a dramatic pose as he emerged in a whorl of emeralds. "I am the glittering ranger, Jeweled Raikou!"

A gold spotlight with stars appeared on the stage. "My dance becomes a holy light of protection." Serena intoned from the darkness as the spotlight turned silver. "It will shine across the world and become eternal life!"

Serena performed an elegant twirl before striking a dramatic pose with her ribbon. "I am the brave magical dancer, Silver Delphox!"

A silvery purple spotlight that evoked the moon appeared on the stage. "Let the spirit of the earth intertwine with the essence of the sky." Dawn's voice intoned from the darkness. "My spirit is a pure rose, blossoming under the quiet moonlight!"

Dawn emerged on the stage from a column of light. "I am the sage of nature, Argent Deerling!"

Cheers filled the air as the lights came up on the set of a large ancient house in the forest--the six heroes had appeared!

9. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 7: The Four Gods Subdue Darkrai (part 1)

"...Yusha and the Beasts returned to a hero's welcome." Ash concluded an exciting tale to the children of the troupe, with Brock playing a victorious song on his vina. "That is why today, you can see statues of the Beasts commemorating this hero, the Beasts, and their adventures all over the world."

Applause filled the wagon as the boys took a bow. As the children departed, Misty arrived from the walkway connecting the wagons holding a script. "Well told, Ash--what if I told you we're doing a twist on that story when we reach Silver Town?"

"Not to be confused for Pewter City's ancient name!" Brock cautioned as he put away the beautiful bow-shaped harp and its fingerpicks.

Misty nodded in agreement. "The modern day Silver Town actually sits right between Kanto and Johto--this is how you can see Mt. Silver from there."

"The historic Silver Moon Shrine is there, the Mt. Silver Science Center, and Gin-Q Park are all there in Silver Town." Brock read from a guidebook.

"Gin-Q?" Ash gasped as he recognized the park's name. "Home of the famous Dondon-pan coaster?"

"That's the one." Brock grinned. "But lets focus on rehearsals before we ask for Gin-Q tickets--we'll get a chance to ride Dondon-pan soon enough."

"Besides, we need to meet the others in the reading room for a readthrough of our remix of 'The Beasts and Darkrai'. Misty reminded the boys. "So lets go!"

---------

The reading room hummed with activity as those that were playing roles in the play settled in the reading room for the readthrough. "Now then..." Rona began. "If you're familiar with the tale 'The Beasts and Darkrai', our play transfers the tale to Hisui, and features Kanade and the Four Guardian Gods, plus Jirachi, in the major roles."

She reminded May "Jirachi is not here for the token cute character that gives the quest--he guides Kanade and the Four Guardian Gods on the quest for the Elemental Beads of the Guardian's Necklace. So don't be afraid to show off Jirachi's powerful side!"

"Right!" May smiled before finding a star hat to stand in for a costume.

"Good idea!" Ash located a red cape, Misty found a familiar headdress with a blue veil, Brock tied on a black cape, and Serena slipped on a white Raikou ear headband. "There...maybe having some kind of a costume will help us get into our roles."

"In lieu of real costumes, these will do for now." Brock agreed as he retrieved the vina case, opened it, and slipped on the fingerpicks, to some awed murmurs in the room. "I got it tuned in the last town we passed, so it should sound perfect." he assured Rona as he found the introduction song's sheet music in his script. "But the tuning key is in its little pocket, just in case."

"Yes, an out of tune vina would not be good." Rona agreed. "When you're ready, play a little of the intro song, and we'll start with your opening narration. Remember that Genbu is both a narrator and a character in this story, so your narration should reflect the connection he has to the events the audience is about to see."

Brock opted to play the last few measures of the intro song before reading the narration in the script. "You may not know this, but for many years, the world was terrorized by demons at night, led by Darkrai. It was especially bad in what is now Jubilife City--the demons would set houses ablaze, kidnap the people, and steal their belongings. Try as the guard might, Darkrai was seemingly immune to sword..."

He played a hard chord to represent the clang of a sword. "arrow..." He played a small upward glissando to represent an arrow flying. "...and spell." Brock then played a long flowing chord to represent a magic spell. The Emperor of Waku grew worried about the constant attacks, and sent word to what is now Eterna City. The great warrior-miko Kanade served in the temple there, and rumor said that she had tamed the four of us."

"Is it okay if I ad lib a little bit there?" he asked Rona. "So we can introduce the four gods at that point?"

"Of course you can ad-lib an introduction to the four gods." Rona smiled. "It would actually make more sense to put their introductions at the start of the play than those long rambling monologues during Kanade's first scene."

"Can we please take those out?" May asked. "I get that these are the Four Guardian Gods, but I feel they make the first scene drag--and we could lose the audience."

"You have a point, May. I'll talk to the writing team and get the play's beginning revised to not be quite so wordy." Rona assured May. "Then we can start rehearsing on our practice stage. For right now, let's continue the readthrough--I'll address your questions and concerns as we go along."

---------

A few days later, the troupe convened in the stage wagon for their first proper rehearsal. "Okay, everyone...I have revised scripts for the play that should address your concerns." Rona began as she passed out some new scripts. "If you still have a copy of the old script, you may drop them off in this box."

Brock studied his opening narration as he dropped off his copy of the old script. "Thank you for cutting those long monologues..."

"Once everyone has a copy of the new script, we'll start blocking the first few scenes in Act 1." Rona replied.

Brock nodded before hurrying backstage. "Let me get the vina real quick..."

After throwing on the black cape, he decided to play the last few measures of the intro song before reading the new narration in the script. "You may not know this, but for many years, the world was terrorized by demons at night, led by Darkrai. It was especially bad in what is now Jubilife City--the demons would set houses ablaze, kidnap the people, and steal their belongings. Try as the guard might, Darkrai was seemingly immune to sword..."

He played a hard chord to represent the clang of a sword. "arrow..." He played a small upward glissando to represent an arrow flying. "...and spell." Brock then played a long flowing chord to represent a magic spell. The Emperor of Waku grew worried about the constant attacks, and sent word to what is now Eterna City. The great warrior-miko Kanade served in the temple there, and rumor said that she had tamed the four of us--Seiryu, the Blue Dragon of the East..."

Misty made an elegant jump onto the stage to join Brock. "Suzaku, the Red Phoenix of the South..."

"HAH!" Ash made a dramatic jump onto the stage from stage right, surprising Misty.

"Byakko, the White Raikou of the West..." Brock continued, spurring Serena to make her own dramatic jump into the stage, her fingers coiled like claws. "...and me, Genbu, the Black Torterra of the north. This is the story of how we managed to subdue the Nightmare Pokémon, and protect Hisui from falling into an eternal nightmare."

"Not bad, but let's block your entrances properly." Rona suggested. "Brock, as you're setting the scene, the audience is not going to see you until you introduce yourself..."

"That works perfectly!" Misty suggested. "This way, it surprises the audience that Genbu the Black Torterra is telling the story. Although the 'four of us' part is a nice little hint."

"Misty...when you make your entrance, maintain a sense of flowing movement, like water, and Dragon martial arts, so spins and turns will add plenty of character." Rona explained. "Can you do that?"

"Sure!" Misty smiled.

"Ash, your costume will have spreadable wings, so I'd like you to spread your arms to mimic this for the time being, okay?" Rona began. "Hold the wing spread for a few seconds, then give me a good courageous pose, okay?"

"Got it!" Ash grinned before spreading his arms into a Y shape. "Like this?"

"Not quite--let's open up the Y a little, but not to the point your arms are straight out." Rona suggested.

She smiled as Ash lowered his arms a little to open the Y shape. "Better, but we'll practice the wing spread more when you have your costume. This shape will do for now."

She next addressed Serena. "Serena--the jump and claw fingers make sense for your character, but I'd like you to make the jump from stage right instead of stage left, like before--can you do that?"

Serena nodded. "Leave it to me!"

"And Brock...once you introduce yourself, make a big gesture to the curtain as it opens. This symbolizes the crossing from reality into fantasy." Rona explained.

"I can do that." Brock smiled. "All this will look really nice before the curtain..."

"For now, let's get you guys measured for your costumes while I block May and Dawn's first scene, then we'll practice your introductions a little more." Rona assured the group.

"Got it!" With that, Misty led the charge backstage...

10. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 8: The Four Gods Subdue Darkrai (part 2)

A few days later, applause filled the Silver Theater as Rona left the stage. A triumphant vina chord rang through the theater as Brock played the overture in the darkness. "Well, here we go--time to see how well our remix of this timeless tale goes over." Ash smiled as he emerged from a dressing room in a magnificent red and gold outfit with "wings".

"We've practiced this hard, so I think it will go well." Misty assured Ash as she emerged wearing a glittering blue outfit with a familiar headdress. "Besides, the Tawame tradition actually has a long tradition of both playing stories straight, and remixing them too. That's how this tradition has endured to this day."

She smiled as she heard the last few bars of the overture. "Besides, Rona promised us Gin-Q tickets while we're here, so you'll get your ride on Dondon-pan soon enough."

"You may not know this, but for many years, the world was terrorized by demons at night, led by Darkrai." Brock intoned from the dark stage. "It was especially bad in what is now Jubilife City--the demons would set houses ablaze, kidnap the people, and steal their belongings."

Concerned murmurs wafted through the theater. "Try as the guard might, Darkrai was seemingly immune to sword..."

Brock played a hard chord to represent the clang of a sword. "arrow..." He played a small upward glissando to represent an arrow flying. "...and spell." He then played a long flowing chord to represent a magic spell. The Emperor of Waku grew worried about the constant attacks, and sent word to what is now Eterna City. The great warrior-miko Kanade served in the temple there, and rumor said that she had tamed the four of us--Seiryu, the Blue Dragon of the East..."

Misty made an spinning jump onto the stage to join the still hidden Brock. "Suzaku, the Red Phoenix of the South..."

Ash made a dramatic jump onto the stage from stage right, to some awed murmurs as he spread his costume's wings in a heroic pose.

"Byakko, the White Raikou of the West..." Brock continued, spurring Serena--now in a majestic white, blue, and gold costume with a white Raikou ear headband--to make her own dramatic jump into the stage, her fingers coiled like claws.

A spotlight finally revealed Brock in an elegant black and gold costume with some dark green trim. "...and me, Genbu, the Black Torterra of the north. This is the story of how we managed to subdue the Nightmare Pokémon, and protect Hisui from falling into an eternal nightmare."

The orchestra started an interlude before Brock appeared in a nook at stage right. "Our adventure began not long after Kanade received word from the Emperor about the terror going on in Hisui. But not even we, the Divine Guardians, knew what to do..."

The curtains opened on a majestic temple set, where Dawn, now in miko garb, read a prop letter decorated to resemble imperial letters of a time long ago. "Inform His Majesty that I accept this perilous mission, and will go to the very ends of the world to defeat Darkrai and end the people's suffering, so help me Arceus."

"Very well, lady Kanade, I will send word to His Majesty of your acceptance." the actor playing a messenger smiled before departing, leaving Dawn alone on the stage.

"Jubilife Village is southwest of here...so maybe Suzaku and Byakko are aware of the people suffering there." Dawn mused as she made her way to a majestic prop altar.

She knelt down as the orchestra started a prayerful melody. "Four Guardians of the world, envoys of Arceus, I come before you now. Surely you have heard of the suffering taking place in this world, and especially those in Julilife Village. Tell me what you have heard about the suffering there, and how I can set the people free from demonic oppression."

Ash appeared on the stage in a whorl of "fire", with Serena not far behind in a gust of shining "wind". "Lady Kanade, we know very well of the suffering in Jubilife Village." Ash began. "Their tears fall like a million stars, and many more live in fear each night."

"Gods we may be, we know Darkrai is a formidable opponent--no mortal weapon can harm him." Serena agreed. "We will need divine weapons to break through the many barriers and disarm the many traps surrounding his lair."

"But where is Darkrai's lair, and how can we get inside it?" Dawn asked. "His Majesty the Emperor has charged me with infiltrating Darkrai's lair and defeating him."

"It is well hidden in the realm of mortals." Ash cautioned. "Not even I have been able to find it."

"We will take your question back to heaven, and see what we can find out." Serena assured Dawn. "If we do find anything out, we will send Jirachi, the little wish-maker, to you with our answers tonight."

"Thank you both." Dawn smiled. "Give Lord Arceus my regards."

The lights went down, save for Brock in his nook. "We searched the Celestial Archives for any sort of clue to help Kanade. Luckily, our research proved fruitful, and so that night, Jirachi returned to Kanade to grant her wish--the fruits of our labor."

The lights came up again on the temple set, which was now in a bluish sheen to mimic nighttime. Dawn was before the majestic altar again in feigned prayer.

After a few tense moments, a white flash startled Dawn and the audience, revealing May in a beautiful white and gold costume, complete with blue prayer slips danging from a star-shaped headdress. "Greetings, Kanade...the Four Guardian Gods have been successful in finding a way to grant your wish. So now I will tell you what you must do."

The orchestra started a tense melody. "Of all the things that Darkrai fears, he fears lunar pearls the most. These holy gems fall to earth as Cresselia makes her nightly flight to deliver pleasant dreams to the mortals. Ten of them should be enough to break the barriers, and allow you inside his lair."

She snapped, conjuring an ornate blue bottle filled with water. "Next, here is a never emptying bottle of healing water. It will heal you, other mortals, and the Four Guardians if they drink it, but harm Darkrai and his demons if they try to drink it."

"Thank you, Jirachi." Dawn smiled as she accepted the bottle. "Will the four guardians be going with me on my journey?"

"Meet them in the town square at first light." May replied. "They will guide you and protect you along the way."

With that, she disappeared in a whorl of sparkling blue and purple glitter with a giggle, leaving Dawn alone on the stage again...

11. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Interlude: A Tale on the Road

"That was intense!" Ash smiled as the caravan departed Silver Town a few days later. He had gotten his wish to visit Gin-Q and ride Dondon-pan not long after the troupe's second performance of "The Four Gods Subdue Darkrai", and still vividly remembered almost being plastered in his seat from the forceful launch.

"Gin-Q was wonderful, even if Dondon-pan and the other roller coasters looked a little intense for me." May smiled as she admired a commemorative Gin-Q cookie box she had bought for Max.

"The lights in all the tunnels--especially the one you race through during the first launch--were neat!" Misty raved. "That's why I went again!"

"Here's hoping we stop at some more amusement parks on the way..." Ash smiled. "But Dondon-pan is not a ride you'll soon forget."

"I'm glad you all enjoyed the trip to Gin-Q." Rona smiled as she joined the group in the common room. "A treat well earned for a job well done!"

"So, what's our next play gonna be?" Ash asked. Excited chatter filled the common room in agreement.

Rona smiled. "How would you like to be the archer for a change, Ash? Our next play is called 'The Flying Phoenix Bow'..."

"Sounds exciting!" Ash smiled.

"If you want to try out, we'll be starting auditions tomorrow." Rona explained as she turned to leave. "For tonight, get some rest, and I'll let you all know when audition signups are posted."

"Okay, looking up the plot of the play in question here..." Brock mused as he brought up Pokepedia on Ash's PC. "Here we go...basically, the show is about a hero named Noble Phoenix, and how he uses the titular bow to defeat some evil sects before they can find the pages of a powerful martial arts manual."

He smiled at the list of characters further down the page. "May would be a shoo-in for Victorious Beautifly, I'll try out for Crystal Raikou..."

"I wonder if you can read Tawame scripts legally somewhere..." Misty wondered as Brock perused the character list.

"There is, actually..." Serena replied as she joined the group. "I'll tell you more when we stop and camp here in a bit."

---------

Later that night, the group gathered around the PC in Ash's wagon to have dinner and peruse Tawame scripts. "Now then...since most Tawame scripts are in the public domain, all we need to do is go to Daihonyume.net--or just Daihon to fans and the community." Serena explained as she typed an address in the browser on Ash's PC. "It's not the definitive archive--that honor goes to the Grand Archive at Indigo Plateau--but it does have lots of Tawame scripts that are available in the public domain, with more being added regularly."

"Interesting..." Ash mused as he caught a glimpse of the beautifully designed main page, which evoked the traditional red, dark blue, and green striped Tawame curtain.

"In addition to reading the scripts, you can read articles about the plays, see pictures and videos of performances, and more." Serena went on. "So if we're doing a play in the public domain, we can come here to research our roles and the play itself."

After clicking a link that read "Master Play List" and sorting the plays from newest to oldest, Serena asked the group "So, which play would you guys like to see first?"

One play got Brock's attention. "'Miko Below the Mountain'? I'd love to know the story behind that one..."

After opening the play's page in a new tab, Serena read the site's summary of the play. "After an evil sect with ambitions for the imperial throne make their way to the capital, an unlikely heroine appears--a miko that sealed herself away beneath the mountain, only to return to the surface when the land needs her divine power the most. She emerges from the mountain as she promised, and begins an urgent quest to preserve peace, and protect the imperial family."

"Sounds exciting!" Dawn smiled. "I take it the miko is Kanade?"

Serena opened the play's script in a second tab and studied the character list. "Actually, the miko is never explicitly named in the script..."

"'The Miko' is boring!" Dawn sighed. "If I were to play this character, I would at the very least give her title, but a name would be even better."

"Okay, if you could name this character, what would you name her?" Misty asked.

"Personally, I would make her Kanade, but if I had to give her a name or a title, I would pick Radiant Deerling." Dawn replied.

One title on the main play list got her attention. "Oh hey--"'The Legend of Celestial Crown Mountain'! That play is very popular at home in Shinou, so I hope we get a chance to perform it on the Shinou leg of our tour..."

She explained "Basically, this is set during the time Shinou was called Hisui, and what starts as an innocent quest to create the first ever Pokédex becomes a world-spanning quest to save Hisui."

"I guess Team Galactic was still around even in ancient times..." Ash smiled.

"The play is very loosely inspired by real events." Serena explained. "While the real team that made the first Hisuian Pokédex were noble people, many people didn't like the idea of foreigners in Waku at first, so for a while, foreigners were cast as the bad guys in plays. Thankfully, people came around, and there is a sizable foreign population today."

"I do recall some beachside cities having a Little Alola district..." Misty remembered. "That, and Central Saffron has a Little Galar and Kalosville."

"We'll likely have some time to spend in Celadon and Saffron, so I wouldn't mind seeing the Kalosville district while we're there." Serena smiled as she looked for another play for the group to see...

12. WavePearl

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,622.7
    Episode 9: Noble Phoenix Takes the First Shot

"So the roles for "The Flying Phoenix Bow" have been announced..." Brock mused as he arrived with scripts for the group. "I got the part of Crystal Raikou...Ash is playing Noble Phoenix..."

Misty smiled when she saw her script. "Nice, I got Brilliant Dragon..."

"I know I have to perform archery in this play--and I have been keeping up the practice--but how are we going to practice in the middle of nowhere?" Ash wondered.

"The middle of nowhere is the best spot to practice." Brock smiled. "That, and the writers worked in a refresher course into the script."

"I see..." Ash mused as he skimmed over a few scenes in Act 1. "It makes sense, though--I know all the do's and don't's of shooting, but my character doesn't. That, and it's been a while since I've done any archery..."

He balked when he saw descriptions of trick shots in the script. "Trick shots? I'm pretty confident about hitting a straight shot, but trick shots?"

"Relax..." Brock assured Ash. "We'll be stopping in an open space to camp and have lunch here shortly. We'll go over what trick shots are in the script, and I'll walk you through how to do each one."

"Okay..." Ash stammered, still nervous over the notion of performing trick shots for the first time.

---------

Later, the group and some of the weapons crew made their way to an open field, not far from the caravan's campsite. "Okay, Ash...I know you are a little nervous about trying trick shots..." Dawn began. "And that's okay! It's always nervewracking when you try something new for the first time. But unlike all those MyTube videos depicting near impossible shots, our team focuses both on what's possible to perform, and what they believe you can do at your current skill level."

"That makes me feel a little better..." Ash admitted as he laced up his armguards, then retrieved a deep brown training bow. "Besides, a lot of those MyTube videos are probably staged, or the one shooting has way more practice than me."

A thought occurred to him. "Dawn...have you done any trick shots before?"

"Yeah...and I'll show you one of the ones I know how to do--the Zigzag Arrow." Dawn explained as one of the crew members set up some raised platforms and a target. Dawn, meanwhile, accepted a glittering purple bow and her armguards from one of the crew members. "You want to aim your shot in such a way that the arrow bounces off the platforms and into the target." she explained as she put on her armguards. "While that sounds hard, it's not as hard as you think with some practice."

She waited for a crew member to call "Clear!" before nocking her bow and aiming her shot off to the left.

Ash watched in amazement as Dawn's purple arrow zigzagged across the platforms, then hit the target's bullseye. "Wow!!!" he gasped as he applauded.

"Now, the secret to making the arrow zigzag is to aim the arrow opposite the first platform." Dawn explained. "So aim left if your first platform is on the right, and aim right if the first platform is on the left."

She waited a moment as the crew members removed three of the platforms, then moved the target closer. "For your first try, let's see if you can hit two platforms and the target."

"Here goes..." Ash swallowed hard as he readied his shot, making sure to aim to the left.

He heard the crew member call "Clear!", then fired a few moments later. A smile formed on his face as the arrow bounced off one platform, only to go flying into the grass. "Well, I got one on the first try, at least."

He smiled as his faithful Pikachu brought back his arrow. "Thanks, Tintri."

After aiming and waiting for the crew to call "Clear!", he fired again. This time, the arrow bounced off two platforms before missing the target by inches. "You almost had it!" May smiled as the crew gave Ash a quiver full of red fletched arrows to practice with. "Maybe the third shot will be the charm!"

Ash accepted his arrow from Tintri "Let's do this!"

The group held their breaths as Ash readied a third shot, and smiled as the arrow bounced off both platforms, then hit the yellow ring near the bullseye! "I did it!" Ash cried, tossing his cap in the air in celebration as the others cheered and applauded.

"Indeed you did--well done!" Rona agreed as she arrived to join the group. "I believe you're ready for the play's pivotal challenge..."

"You can tell me all about it over lunch!" Ash smiled as the crew cleaned up their gear.

---------

"Now then...the play's pivotal challenge is shooting an arrow through an ancient coin without damaging the coin." Rona explained. "Have you seen what a sen looks like before?"

"I think so...aren't those the coins with holes in the center?" Ash asked as he bit into a freshly made cheeseburger, hold the onions.

Rona set a prop sen on the table. "That's what you will eventually shoot through."

"That's about the size of a Life Saver..." Brock noted. "But don't let that tiny hole intimidate you...I have an idea..."

He next told Rona "Can we make some prop coins for Ash to practice making the shot? Once he's comfortable shooting through a prop sen, we'll have him practice shooting through a real sen.

"That's a great idea!" Rona smiled. "I'll tell the prop crew to not just make sen, but other kinds of ancient Wakunese coins for you to practice with."

She turned business-like again. "Once you finish lunch, meet me in the stage wagon, and we'll begin rehearsals."

"Got it!" Ash smiled as he savored another bite of lunch, confident he would be able to make any of the shots in the script...