1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Pokémon Anime Pokemon Themes- Ash's Pokemon (with links)

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by oghond, Feb 24, 2018.

1. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    I'm assuming you know about all those "character theme song" videos people have made on the Internet. Many have been made for Pokémon, and while almost all of them focus on the humans, NONE focus on the Pokémon themselves. Probably because Pokémon can't talk. Except Meowth.

So, because of my PokeMusical songs I make on here, I decided to change all that. Here, then, are all the themes of almost all Pokémon that have been owned by Ash Ketchum over the years- with links. Enjoy!

KANTO:

Pikachu: "500 Miles" by the Proclaimers (youtu.be/84CPo4bVkMk): For obvious reasons. Just look at the lyrics and TELL ME that does not represent Pikachu's loyalty to Ash. (Though, admittedly, "You've Got a Friend" by James Taylor would have worked as well...)

Bulbasaur: "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benatar (youtu.be/serV18MirGg): Again, for obvious reasons.

Squirtle: "Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (youtu.be/pRu5wxl5frk): The Squirtle Squad. And the glasses.

Butterfree: "Cups (When I'm Gone)" by Anna Kendrick (youtu.be/pjcOzqxu4JQ): "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone." And honestly, don't we all?

Charizard: "Indestructible" by Disturbed (youtu.be/Hj2vU2nr5Jw): Needs no explanation.

Pidgeot: "Grenade" by Bruno Mars (youtu.be/5olfnVeYfgg): As we know, in the episode in which Pidgeot was released, Ash promised he would come back for Pidgeot. And as we know, he hasn't. For a Pokémon who would literally do anything for Ash, I'm pretty sure he'd be feeling betrayed. And given that this song is about betrayal...

ORANGE ISLANDS:

Snorlax: "The Lazy Song" by Bruno Mars (youtu.be/fLexgOxsZu0): DO I EVEN NEED TO SAY IT?!

JOHTO:

Heracross: "Oops! I Did It Again" by Britney Spears (youtu.be/CduA0TULnow): This was HARD. Basically, the whole idea with Heracross is that he acts like an idiot (easily distracted, loves sap, will attack Bulbasaur at any occasion), but despite that, is a genuinely good fighter. And, well... this was the only song I could find that displayed this idea. "I'm not that innocent" indeed.

Bayleef: "Blank Space" by Taylor Swift (youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg): For a while, as a Chikorita, Bayleef had a HUGE crush on Ash. And probably still does, even if she doesn't show it as often now.

Quilava: "You Will Be Found" from Dear Evan Hansen (youtu.be/mSfH2AuhXfw): Again, hard. Really hard. As a Cyndaquil, Quilava was inexperienced, cowardly and the baby of the group. Then it evolved. And it became serious and stoic. How do you portray such a drastic personality change in a song? Well, I realized that as a Cyndaquil, Quilava was basically broken. And, as we know, "when you're broke and on the ground/You will be found..." That happened. And it was called evolution.

Totodile: "Can't Stop the Feeling" by Justin Timberlake (youtu.be/ru0K8uYEZWw): For obvious reasons.

Noctowl: "Gold" by Owl City (youtu.be/TC2YeGEoN1w): For the pun of it. (See what I did there?)

Donphan: "Lose Yourself" by Eminem (youtu.be/6Un9HLDCTCs): I have no clue why I picked this. It just seemed to fit.

HOENN:

Swellow: "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus (youtu.be/qolUC13bwMc): When Swellow wants something, it REALLY wants something. And it will do whatever it takes to get it. I'm looking at you, PokeRing tournament.

Sceptile: "Wait For It" from Hamilton (youtu.be/ulsLI029rH0): HAMILTRASH UNITE!! But seriously. Sceptile is arguably the most cool, calm, and collected Pokémon Ash has ever had. He's just like Burr. And if Sceptile's Burr, then...

Corphish: "My Shot" from Hamilton (youtu.be/Ic7NqP_YGlg): Corphish is Hamilton. Young, scrappy and hungry... and not throwing away his shot. At anything. Not to mention extremely brash and arrogant.

Torkoal: "I Cry" by Flo Rida (youtu.be/R7BRWyn4PzY): When HASN'T he?

Glalie: "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice (youtu.be/prN3bPmDqr4): ...TERRIBLE. PUNS. ABOUND.

SINNOH:

Staraptor: "To the Sky" by Owl City (youtu.be/VjMJlLq5MpE): For obvious reasons.

Torterra: "Believer" by Imagine Dragons (youtu.be/R4K3FWlWAWI): Upon evolution into Grotle, Torterra was unable to adjust to its new heavier body and was defeated (as a Turtwig, it had relied heavily on its speed to defeat opponents, and was now much slower). Cue it going into despair. Then cue Paul's Torterra coming in and showing Grotle that despite the fact it had lost its speed, it could still be a competent battler. In other words, it made Torterra, as a Grotle, a believer. Thank you, Paul's Torterra.

Infernape: "Part of Me" by Katy Perry (youtu.be/2Fko7_SV3Lc): If "Believer" was a grudging "thank you" to Paul, this is an "F-you" to Paul. As a Chimchar, Infernape was constantly abused by Paul, told it was weak, and then was released. Then Ash caught it, and Chimchar evolved all the way to Infernape under his care and overcame a lot of fears. That was then, and this is now.

Buizel: "Bastille Day" by Rush (youtu.be/ekoxIb85rww): All I can say is this: in many, many, MANY battles, Buizel was la guillotine. And his prize was claimed. EVERY TIME.

Gliscor: "Carry On" by fun. (youtu.be/Jq8fv8t2CPI): Very much like Infernape, Gliscor had a lot of fears as a Gligar. And it overcame them all. And you should know the rest.

Gible: "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by REM (youtu.be/bfyNlISf_No): A long song that no one understands for one of the silliest Pokémon in all of anime? Surprisingly fitting. And that's all I have to say about that.

UNOVA (there's a lot):

Unfezant: "Titanium" by Sia (youtu.be/AsrnGyRS6l4): Wow. That is one powerful female Unfezant. Indeed.

Pignite: "The Pass" by Rush (youtu.be/qTHJv3SAMBY): This song is a suicide song. And while Pignite, as a Tepig, never went that far, it WAS extremely shy and was abandoned by its old Trainer to starve. And then it came back and defeated its old Trainer in spectacular fashion.

Oshawott: "Better When I'm Dancing" by Meghan Trainor (youtu.be/pkCyfBibIbI): For obvious reasons.

Snivy: "Fighter" by Christina Aguilera (youtu.be/RBOJpIwF47Y): Pretty much "Believer," except for the fact that Snivy is female. She had an old Trainer, it abandoned her, she became stronger because of it, and you know the rest. Thank you, Snivy's old trainer.

Scraggy: "Headstrong" by Trapt (youtu.be/PdHujs6UMYw): Because he IS.

Leavanny: "I'm Coming Out" by Diana Ross (youtu.be/_qB2B1fBJiA): Leavanny is an overly feminine Pokémon. Ash's is MALE. Cue the "Leavanny is gay" rumors spreading like wildfire.

Palpitoad: "Stereo Heart" by Gym Class Heroes feat. Adam Levine (youtu.be/f3RVootcD4w): For obvious reasons. Also, puns.

Boldore: "Pompeii" by Bastille (youtu.be/qwJtbosKDB4): Again. More puns.

Krookodile: "We Will Rock You" by Queen (youtu.be/y3Ca3c6J9N4): PUNS.

KALOS:

Greninja: "The Weekend Whip" by the Fold (youtu.be/fdpDgNJ67pE): Because. He's a ninja.

Talonflame: "The Pretender" by Foo Fighters (youtu.be/QvEqMBEF1rc): Epic song, epic bird.

Hawlucha: "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor (youtu.be/QEjgPh4SEmU): For obvious reasons. He's a wrestler. Need I say more?

Goodra: "Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now)" by Phil Collins (youtu.be/NcwUtNdLFrs): Step 1: Look at the lyrics to this song. Step 2: Remember Goodra's journey. Step 3: Remember his release. Step 4: BAWL.

Noivern: "Entre Nous" by Rush (youtu.be/BVYuSYlkCJ0): Basically, the relationship between Noivern and Hawlucha in a nutshell.

ALOLA:

Rowlet: "Fireflies" by Owl City (youtu.be/ytBR7ET_6uU): Because seriously. How many times is Rowlet asleep?

Torracat: "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor (youtu.be/N8u8tASPtwg): Step 1: Read the lyrics. Step 2: Think of Stoutland's death. Step 3: BAWL.

and finally...

Lycanroc: "Who Let the Dogs Out" by Baha Men (youtu.be/Qkuu0Lwb5EM): ...A big, friendly dog. Need I say more?

2. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    If you have any thoughts, please let me know. Thank you!

3. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    For the record, I’ve thought about some of my choices and have changed two of the songs:

Butterfree’s new character theme: () I’ve always thought of this as a sort of musical version of Ash saying goodbye to Butterfree and telling him not to worry and that everything will work out when he’s with the love of his life. Here, Butterfree’s singing this back to Ash as a sort of “Don’t be sad that I’m gone; I’ll be in your heart forever” kind of thing.

Lycanroc’s new theme: () It’s meant to reference the fact that he can’t control his beserkness and feels terrible every time he gets aggressive. Although (spoiler alert!) now he can control it.

4. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    Oh, and now there’s Poipole. And here’s his theme:

5. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Sceptile and Snorlax fit perfectly. I either don't know the other songs well enough, don't like them enough, or the Pokémon is named either Greninja or Unfezant. FINALLY, another person who likes the song! (BTW Zane best ninja.)
    Unfezant's however is not very fitting in my opinion however. I think it would better suit someone like Goodra, Krookodile, or a Steel type Ash gets in the future. I think a better fit would be 'Touch the Sky' from Brave, or something like that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Ash Greninja's theme: X Gon Give it to Ya. (Get it? Because it lost to a... I'll see myself out)

Oh, warning, that song has some language in it :P

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    I AM THE ONE THING IN LIFE I CAN CONTROL! You must be a Hamilton fan, then...

Also, the Weekend Whip is awesome!

Any thoughts on “Hey Jude,” though? That’s my favorite. (:

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  8. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    Oh, and one more change: Staraptor’s and Talonflame’s songs have been switched.

9. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8

Ha ha! I get it!

Do you have any thoughts on the other themes? Personally, I’d like to know your opinion on “Hey Jude” and all the Alolan songs...

10. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    Oh, and in regards to your point about Unfezant's theme... now that I think about it, I might change that one, too. Also, I've been thinking of making Infernape's song "Believer" and changing Torterra's to "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay ("I used to rule the world/Seas would rise when I gave the word/Now in the morning I sleep alone/Sweep the streets I used to own..."). Any thoughts on that idea?

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  11. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    I just compiled a list of what I believe are my top ten most interesting theme songs, and also why I chose them. So, if any of you would like more info on why I chose some of these songs for these Pokémon, then... here you go.

INTRO: Ah, yes. Hamilton. The musical that’s been taking the world by storm over these past few years. Its protagonist is portrayed as a hot-blooded immigrant with a streak of jealousy and brashness that brilliantly contrasts with Aaron Burr, who much prefers to think the situation over first. And this pretty much describes Ash’s Corphish in a nutshell. So, what do I give him?

CORPHISH’S THEME- “MY SHOT” FROM HAMILTON

He’s young, scrappy, and hungry, and he’s not throwing away his shot. That’s basically Corphish, who is practically the Pokémon version of Hamilton. For those of you not in the know (in which case, GO SEE THE SHOW BECAUSE IT’S AWESOME), Alexander Hamilton is extremely brash and often doesn’t think about the consequences of his actions before doing them, to the point where he CHEATED ON HIS OWN WIFE AND PUBLISHED IT IN A PAMPHLET. He also gets jealous easily, yet wants to start his own revolution. And that’s where Corphish comes in. Great battler? Check. Jealous of other people’s accomplishments? Check. Charges into things without thinking? CHECK. Heck, I’m betting if TST existed, he’d be voiced by Lin-Manuel Miranda in a heartbeat. Sure, he wouldn’t be brash enough to pull a “Say No To This” on Ash Ketchum, but he still has been known to charge into things without thinking about them first. He also gets jealous of other Pokémon easily. In fact, there was an entire episode devoted to the fact that Corphish felt ignored and abandoned in the shadow of the newly-evolved Grovyle, AKA the Pokémon version of Aaron Burr. (Thank god they didn’t get into a duel.) Yet despite all this, he’s still a great battler and not one to give up when the time comes. Despite his flaws, we love him. Kind of like how we love Hamilton, which is why “My Shot” is at number 10 on this list. Though a word of advice, Corphish: you’ve got to be carefully taught.

12. FireSpartan5

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Yeah, I am. Wait for it is my favorite easily. Burr is just such an awesome character, and I wholeheartedly believe that he did nothing wrong until he challenged Hamilton to the duel and eventually shot him. The Weekend Whip IS awesome, but I sadly have never heard Hey Jude. I'll check it out if I get a chance.
    I love Viva la Vida and I can see it much easier on Torterra than Believer. I think it would work on Infernape, but maybe there's something better. I can't think of anything myself, just keep your eyes open. Also, look into some older (as in before 2014 basically) musicals if you want good character based songs; the best ones can come from unexpected places. Naughty from Matilda is one I think would work on Oshawott, Snivy, or Squirtle well.

13. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8

Huh. Never thought of it like that.

Wait... you’ve never heard “Hey Jude”?! It’s awesome! Here are the lyrics, in case you need them: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/heyjude.html

Also, any thoughts on Corphish getting “My Shot”?

14. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    And now he’s voiced by Bryce Papenbrook, because I don’t know who else to go with.

15. FireSpartan5

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Yeah, sorry. Not the biggest Beatles fanatic, so I only knew like five or six of their songs. I acknowledge their skill, but they're mostly not my style. It does fit Butterfree well though.

As for Corphish, I think it would work better if the song was a solo. Since it isn't however, I have mixed feelings on it. I think it covers Corphish's impatience and ambition, but it doesn't quite portray his sense of humor, and if you listen to it with Corphish in mind, the non-Hamilton parts are a little distracting. It does the job, but I think there may be a better option somewhere. I do love the idea though.

16. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    Aww! Thanks. Yeah, I knew it would fit Butterfree the moment I read “Remember to let her into your heart...”

Oh. Okay then... looks like I’ll have to find another song about ambition and what-not. The only solo song Hamilton gets is Hurricane, which doesn’t fit Corphish AT ALL.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  17. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    Any ideas on what WOULD fit, though, if not “My Shot”?

18. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    Continuing the list:

INTRO:
    Heracross is a pretty great Pokémon, being a Bug/Fighting type and having the ability to use Megahorn, which is the most powerful Bug-type move in existence. Ash’s Heracross is pretty great, too, except he’s a sucker for sap and is easily distracted. However, he’s not as dumb as he looks and is actually just as powerful of a battler as any other member of his species. The hardest challenge with this is how the heck do you put this silly-yet-powerful demeanor in a song and have it still make sense? Well, this comes pretty close.

HERACROSS’ THEME- “OOPS! I DID IT AGAIN” BY BRITNEY SPEARS

This probably isn’t the first song you think of when you think “silly-yet-powerful,” especially considering the fact that this song is about a woman who thinks love is a game and uses it to her advantage. It screams more “Iris’ Emolga” than “Ash’s Heracross.” But keep in mind, this song has lyrics such as this:

But to lose all my senses

That is just so typically me

...and this:

Can’t you see I’m a fool in so many ways?

...and this:

I’m not that innocent

Feel free to set that to clips of a fighting Heracross, because that whole line is him in a nutshell. He may appear silly at first glance, but that does not mean that he is in any way weak, and you should definitely think twice before crossing him.

This is the only song I can possibly think of that fits Heracross, even if he’s not being toyed with his emotions by a girl who is not in love with him. Then again, Heracross is so easily distracted and ditzy that he’d probably fall for thinking that someone who’s not in love with him is. He’s ditzy, eager, and yet not that innocent, and that’s what puts his theme at #9.

INTRO: For the most part, Ash’s bird Pokémon have gotten the short end of the stick. One’s been released, one was used mainly for lookout, one was just… okay, one was good but was overshadowed by a frog ninja, and one was really good but was overshadowed by Aaron Burr. And then there’s Ash’s Staraptor.

STARAPTOR’S THEME- “THE PRETENDER” BY FOO FIGHTERS

This song pretty much screams “I will fight you and no one should dare come near me.” And that’s Staraptor, who is arguably the best bird Pokémon Ash has ever owned. When I first made this, this was Talonflame’s theme, and “To the Sky” by Owl City was Staraptor’s. But after reading the lyrics I realized this fit Staraptor much, much more. If TST were real, Staraptor would be singing this song to the enemy. Specifically, to Paul’s Honchkrow, who he fought and won against in the tournament he evolved in. But the line that really grabbed my attention was “What if I say I’m not like the others?” mainly because… well, because Staraptor isn’t like the others. All of Ash’s other Normal-type Bird Pokémon have not necessarily been the best when it comes to battles. Normally, they’re overshadowed by the starter Pokémon or mainly used for lookout. Even Swellow, who is really, really good in battle, eventually got overshadowed by Ash’s Sceptile as the most popular of his Hoenn Pokémon. Staraptor, however, stands out as not only lookout, but an extremely competent battler as well. As a Staravia, he mastered both Brave Bird and Aerial Ace, and when he evolved into Staraptor, he learned Close Combat, a Fighting-type move, which proved to be extremely effective in battle. Also, WHY AREN’T MORE BIRD POKÉMON VOICED BY WOMEN?!?! But I digress. Like the song says, Staraptor is a bird who will never surrender, and that’s what puts his theme at #8. Plus, who doesn’t like the Foo Fighters?

19. FireSpartan5

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    I don't know any that fit perfectly. If it were a solo, My Shot would fit really well. One that shows a lot of his qualities that I know is ''Comet" from Steven Universe, but I don't think it portrays his angry side well enough. I think "Gaston" from Beauty and the Beast would work, but it doesn't show his loyal side, and again, it's not a solo. I am honestly stumped.

20. oghond

oghond Black Belt

Germany
    (Butterfree)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽633.8
    Me too.

All that said, any thoughts on the Alolan character themes (excluding Poipole)? For the record:

Rowlet- "Fireflies" by Owl City (unintentional pun)
    Torracat- "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor
    Lycanroc- "Animal I Have Become" by Three Days Grace (it was either this or "Demons" by Imagine Dragons)