1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spinoffs Pokemon Unite - how do you feel?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by lexicalMagician, Jun 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. lexicalMagician

lexicalMagician The Lamest Loser of them All

Silver
    (Shinx)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽219.0
    So! Today a Pokémon moba was announced with no release date. Personally I'm very excited for this, as I love mobas and I love Pokémon. But what about you all? How do you feel about it? Will you check it out or skip it?

Jupjami likes this.
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    I'm not really interested in MOBAs, so I'm gonna skip this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    I have never had any interest in the MOBA genre and this does not change that in the slightest so I won't be playing it. I'm also confused as to why they're even making it considering that MOBAs seem to be a dying genre as far as I can tell.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    im just forever gonna hope this is a really REALLY belated april fools joke bc who even asked for this....!!! ur a little late to the moba train there Pokémon.... about 8 years late

also when i saw this was being made by tencent i noped the fuck outta there LOL kinda sad how tpc is shilling out THIS hard that theyre working with human rights violators now..... honestly if anyone here is going to play this willingly knowing that im gonna be a little disappointed but ig pokefans just eat anything up these days so w/e

5. bakugo

bakugo Camper

(Kyurem Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽588.7
    I honestly think this game isn't going to end up being good. For one, it's made by Tencent. They're just another extension of the Chinese government IMO. I don't think they even put much effort into the game either. From what I've heard, it's just a standard MOBA with a Pokémon skin on it. It'll most likely be littered with microtransactions as well.

6. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    ehh, I don't care much about whether 'tis made by China or not (stop discriminating pls) or if 'tis a 'dying breed' (ahem ahem Southeast Asia); as long as 'tis Pokémon and a MOBA... 'tis a dream come true~!!! I do hope they include Sceptile though~ :)

7. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I don’t think I’ll end up liking it, but I’ll try it anyway.

8. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I love Mobas, as the resident Dota 2 player I think I am a bit of a shoein for this. I am sceptical about the quality/monetization for that kind of game on mobile/Switch. Especially with Tencent involved. Moves wise Pokémon is kinda perfect for a Moba, 4 attacks, one stronger than the others and maybe a passive each to fit abilities and you are all set!

For the short gameplay bits we got it looks pretty decent but yeah the platform and handling of it is what I would be worried about.

lexicalMagician likes this.
  9. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I'm not a moba guy, that being said I can recognize that the gameplay loop actually seems rather polished. I think that the Pokémon roster could have been larger, to be honest, they could just add every Pokémon into the game, but I guess that will be with time. I don't think there is anything more to the game than what they showed. That catching Pokémon, leveling up and fighting the other time on that one map is probably all their be. Some will find it fun, I wont, but I will say that they did put effort into making the core good. I find it a little worrying that Pokémon is outsourcing its spin off titles rather than making it themselves. I fear that we will no longer see mystery dungeon, Ranger, Conquest or any other fun single player spinoffs again.

10. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    Of the three spin-offs you mentioned, only one isn't made by a third-party company (Ranger was made by Creatures, Inc., which is owned by Nintendo and a part of The Pokémon Company). Mystery Dungeon is made by Spike Chunsoft (who make all the Mystery Dungeon games, not just the Pokémon ones) and Conquest was made by Koei Tecmo (it's a crossover with their Nobunaga's Ambition series, and they are otherwise most known for the Warriors games). There's also Pokkén Tournament, which was made by Bandai Namco, and probably others that I can't think of off the top of my head. The Pokémon series outsourcing to other companies for its spinoffs is nothing new and does not indicate that anything will be changing.

SAF and SyWry like this.
  11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Thank you for clarifying this for me. It was something I though of on the fly without researching. My edited statement on the matter then is I hope it succeeds so we can see more spinoff titles like it. I was originally going to say this before the other idea popped into my head.

12. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 33
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,990.4
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I probably won't play it. Not a fan of MOBA in general - I don't do well with that sort of genre.

That aside though, @Jupjami it's not about country - the hatred against Tencent is because of that organization not exactly having the best human rights track record.

SAF and Jupjami like this.