1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Popular Pokémon you don’t like?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by RadEmpoleon, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Since I did unpopular Pokémon you like, then let’s do the opposite. What popular/ overrated Pokémon do you not like and why?
    My main one is Mimikyu. It’s so broken with its ability. Free setup. And its shiny is so bland. I don’t see it as “a throwback to GBA how they didn’t have any color!” I think the lack of color is so boring. Why call it a shiny if it isn’t colorful or shiny? Also its signature Z move, Let’s Snuggle Forever, is creepy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Lucario. My god, I DESPISE Lucario. As well as being a disgustingly ugly design, it's in literally everything. It's always stupidly OP in the anime especially...why it got its own (bad) movie with its own plagiarist Force powers - powers which were never fully explained and aren't used by any other Pokémon, if you don't count Aura Sphere, which I don't because it doesn't give anyone else Force powers - I will never understand. So many major NPCs have Lucario, and it's always their signature Pokémon - Maylene and Korrina spent FAR too much time in the anime fawning over theirs, and Cameron's beat Pikachu in the Unova finals despite Cameron only having five Pokémon and being a general clown.

I could understand it being prominent in Gen IV - although I did not like it then either - but later? God, just let it go! I'm fed up with seeing Lucario in every piece of Pokémon media like it's a secondary mascot for the franchise or something. It taking Mewtwo's place in Brawl was unforgivable - especially when it's basically a Mewtwo clone! - and it didn't deserve a spot in Pokken Tournament either. It didn't need to be in Pokémon: The Origin. It shouldn't have gotten a Mega Evolution. Whilst Gen IV is my favourite Gen, Lucario is easily my most hated Pokémon.

*ahem*

I'm really not fond of Oshawott or Popplio. I don't really buy into the "so ugly its cute" thing that seems to be going on with these two...they're just ugly. Believe me, if you could actually transcend ugliness to be cute if you were ugly enough, I'd have people falling at my feet for how adorable I'd be. I KNOW ugly when I see it, and these two fit the bill. I'm really not keen on them at all...or their evolutions. Samurott is a mess, and Primarina is basically Cure Mermaid. Neither of them really fit as final evolutions for such hideous starters.

I'm really not fond of Greninja either...that tongue is NASTY. Ash-Greninja was also a cheap anime cop-out because the writers didn't want Ash to have a Mega Evolution for some ridiculous reason. It was stupidly unbalanced. I mean, it tossed Diantha's Gardevoir around like it was a chew toy, and then got taken out by Alain's Mega Charizard X in a battle it was practically guaranteed to win. It's power levels were more erratic than Pikachu's...who, by the way, loses to Lucarios but can damage ARCEUS where Dialga, Palkia AND Giratina all fail. Pikachu is the biggest plot hole in the anime, and Ash-Greninja makes it look sensible. That's how bad it is. I don't understand why this thing got included in Smash either.

I don't like half the Eeveelutions, either. They're just...unremarkable to bad, really. Except for Glaceon and Leafeon, anyway. Flareon is useless, Vaporeon in particular is ugly as all get out, and shiny Espeon...ugh. What on earth were they thinking when they sneezed THAT mess out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    While I don't necessarily hate/dislike any of these, here are a few:
    Charizard - The most popular Pokémon for some reason. I honestly don't get how it's that good. I'm not a fan of its design nor do I like using it competitively. I never viewed it more than just a regular Pokémon in the franchise.
    Eevee - Pretty much the same as Charizard, but less overrated and more bad competitively. I get how it's cute and all, but I don't get how it's that interesting.
    Lucario - Don't get me wrong, I actually like Lucario. It has an interesting place in the anime. Though once again, it's pretty bland as a Pokémon and I feel like the only reason why it's getting so much attention is because it's an anthropomorphic canine.

4. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Uhm...I don't really like Sylveon. I mean, the design is beginning to grow on me, but I still feel like there's too much going on with all the bows and ribbons, and it feels much more crowded than the rest of the Eeveelution designs, which are all pretty simple.

5. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Note: I will not be including stereotypes, such as Charizard, Pikachu, Arceus, and Eevee, which are commonly known to be overrated. I do not necessarily hate any of the Pokémon below, unless I say otherwise. I just find them to be more popular than they deserve by a sufficient margin. Honorable mention to Mimikyu. We all know it's true.

In order of Pokédex appearance:

Magmar: It's just so ugly! One of the worst Fire types, and I will stick by that. I don't get why everyone loves it so much. Thakfull, its evolution and pre-evolution both gave much needed improvements, becoming cool and cute respectively. Magmar itself is just awkward.

Cyndaquil and Typhlosion
    : I like these Pokémon, but they are just kind of bland. I don't see why everyone loves Cyndaquil so much. Quilava is excluded because its design actually is super cool and not just slightly above average. Typhlosion is a bit of a letdown, especially in recent generations with the 3D sprites. It just looks so plain. This evolution line is prided as one of the best Johto has to offer, when really, it's only a bit better than average.

Quagsire: I get praising the mighty Wippor, but its evolution isn't as great as most people claim. I don't find that kind of derpy to be cute. It just doesn't work for me.

Sableye: I don't know how to explain my reasoning for this one, it just feels off to me. Just forget I mentioned it if you want.

Bidoof and Bibarrel: These two are also loved because they are derpy, and I don't find it charming. They are just ugly, stupid beavers. Yet they became the most popular regional rodents ever. I don't get why. Raticate, Bunnelby, and the whole Zigzagoon line have much better designs.

Mesprit: Mesprit is the best known of the trio, to the point where I thought it was the leader in the same way Suicune was for the Legendary Beasts, or Cobalion was for the Swords of Justice. But its design isn't that impressive next to Azelf, and its head shape is just odd. I am excluding Uxie from this because its problems are the same to a lesser degree, and it isn't nearly as popular as the other two (outside of competitive battling).

Purrloin: Again, I don't really know why with this one. It just kind of disturbs me.

Scraggy and Scrafty: The whole pants pouch thing creeps me out. Their designs aren't that great, and yet they are never mentioned by people who dislike Gen 5. Scraggy is the lesser offender, but is also more popular due to the anime.

Florges: Come on guys, it's not that elegant. Not everything that's incredibly thin is the model of beauty. The flower part of its head is too big and a bit messy, and the stalk-like "legs" it has are too slender to make it appealing at all. Feed this thing a burger or something.

Yveltal: It just isn't that aesthetically pleasing. Any other Flying type legendary is either elegant or badass, and this one just isn't. It's too bulky looking to make your jaw drop like Articuno, and not cool enough to get you pumped up like Rayquaza. A bit disappointing for a legendary.

Kommo-o: Look at all those ugly shingles falling off of its back, and tell me this thing is awesome. I dare you. It isn't bad, but it seems to get more love than it deserves.

And, the worst offender of them all:

Poipole and Naganadel: I know you all love your cute little Ultra Beast, but Naganadel is only beaten in the ugly factor (among UB's) by Guzzlord. All the spikes, the patterns on its body, and just its shape, are aesthetically displeasing, and yet everyone seems to think its design is awesome, leaps and bounds above cool and interesting UB's like Blacephalon, Stakataka, and Kartana. Just because it is related to your precious Poipole. Poipole in and of itself isn't that cute. Sure it's alright, but it's as lopsided as its evolution in proportions, and once you go above the eyes, the design stinks. Which is upsetting since that makes up one third of its entire body. I don't hate Poipole, but it is far from perfect, and its evolution is pretty bad. I don't understand why they get so much love.

#5 Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  6. DemonicKraken

KIRA
    (Clamperl)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.6
    Legendary Triforce ★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Charizard deserves to die and @Arod is why.

...What? Ok, Oshawott I can maybe see, but this is your idea of ugly?

Good point on Sammy being a mess though

7. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I agree with this 100%
    So glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like these two. They're honestly my least favourite of the UBs, by far.

Anyways, as for my answer to the question;

Ash-Greninja - Horrible design. Like, really really bad. Honestly one of the few Pokémon where I physically cringed when I first saw it. Didn't think they could ruin Greninja's design but I guess I was wrong...
    The whole reason it exists is dumb too.
    Aegislash - Look, I know a lot for people think this Pokémon is cool and if you like it that's perfectly fine, but for me I cannot stand the look of it. It's ugly. The way it's body is shaped annoys the crap out of me, and I hate how unlike Honedge and Doublade (whom I actually quite like) it's 'arms' or whatever they are look stiff and awkward. Like I get that they're like that so it can hold the Sheild, but I still think it looks stupid.
    Umbreon - I have a low tolerance for things that come across as edgy. One of the reasons I can't stand characters like Shadow the Hedgehog or Gladion. Umbreon, to me anyway, comes across as super edgy. Dark-type, edgy design, liked by a lot of edgy teens (not saying all Umbreon fans are like this btw, just a lot of them seem to be). As a whole this Pokémon is just so off-putting. Eck.

8. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I never thought of Umbreon as edgy. I found the Pokémon to be the opposite. It just looks sleek and mysterious. And I like that about it.
    I hate poplio to be honest, but I also jsut despise the designs of the sun and moon starters in general. They just seemed out of place and had some potential. Kitten could have evolved into a sleek predator and instead we get Mexican wrestler cat. Poplio’s design looks fine, for a female. But I jsut dodutn like it to begin with. Rowlett was ok but I wasn’t a fan either.

I also now have a strong hatred for the squirtle and bulbasaur lines

9. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Yes! It looks like a malnourished Seel wearing a clown hat on its face! That nose must drip something awful.

I have a low-key dislike of every starter post Gen-IV, honestly. I suppose Rowlett and Fennekin were OKAY, but the evolution designs for all of them are just so bad I can't even...Incineroar in particular. What on earth were they thinking. And Delphox seems to be another one of those Pokémon designed to cater to a particular group of fan artists...

10. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Incineroar. We could of had a fire panther evoltution for Litten and we got Tony the Tiger instead. The fire belt looks unnatural and the ab shaped black fur on it’s chest makes me really uncomfortable.

RadEmpoleon and Vaquero like this.