1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Blog Positive Zero - A Happiness Podcast

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Absolute Zero, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    It's happening! It's happening! I'm trying something new, because I want you to try something new too. What is that thing? Feeling happier! I'm starting an amateur podcast about my tips and ideas for generally feeling better in life, even though life sucks pretty often.

What is a podcast? Wikipedia describes it as "an episodic series of digital audio or video files which a user can download and listen to ... It is very similar to, and may overlap with, Internet radio, though perhaps distinct in revolving around topics personalized exactly to listener preferences", and I think that's pretty accurate. It's like a free amateur or professional radio show in which people talk about a thing they know about. I listen to these programs for about 3 hours every day when I'm driving and when I'm at work, on topics from history and science to news and culture to good old story-telling. I admire a lot of these podcasters, some of whom I'll mention by name once I'm sure I don't suck.

Anyway, this series is going to be about my ideas of staying happy, since I've had some very low lows and am lately keeping myself in a pretty high high. I'm going to aim for a bi-weekly episode, but writing, recording, and editing takes time, and I don't have any sponsors to encourage me, so I'll do it as I do it. I'm not publishing this in official distribution means (yet), so just download it here and play it with VLC (or your player of choice, but VLC is excellent).

Please, feel free to comment directly in this thread. I want this to be interactive, so if you want to give me props, or tell me just how full of crap I am, or give tips on audio production, or tell stories of yourself trying something, or have questions that you want my input on, I welcome all of that.

The writing, recording, and editing are all by me. Most music that I use comes from the Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver OST (available at the iTunes store here), which I had no part in composing or performing, and of which I claim no ownership. The intro music in particular is "Pokégear Radio: Buena's Password", composed by Morikazu Aoki and arranged by Hitomi Sato. I'll try to remember to properly cite all my soundtrack usage in future episodes, aside from the redundancy of Buena's Password, which is used in every episode.

So watch this thread or follow my profile on LV and keep up with these talks! It will be great to have you along!

Episode List (updated as I go):

PS: a request for anyone who may have an idea: I just found out that, as an ordinary member of LV, I can't upload .mp3 files or files larger than 1 MB as attachments to my posts. For now, I'm linking to a Discord hosted file, but I have no idea how long those stay up. If you know of a good and legitimate free audio hosting website, I'd love to hear about that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    Just listened to it! I think you could turn the music's volume down or choose one that is less distracting, as I have to concentrate a bit on your voice to really understand it :3
    Also if you don't find any audio hosting website, maybe you could put those on youtube?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Riptide5738

Riptide5738 School Kid

First
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽86.0
    That works

4. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I totally need this in my life.

5. Smarty_Pants001

Eevee
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽780.4
    I feel like at this point the world as a whole is getting so negative that introducing a bit of positivity in this form is exactly what we need.

6. Darkmaster006

Darkmaster006 PKMN Breeder

Airi
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 48
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,894.9
    This is a really good idea. But Gwoomy is right, do turn down the volume or maybe use a more repetitive and calm song? I get lost in all the chirpy melodies hah.

As for your voice, I really like it. It's calm, and it totally sounds like one of those people who do YT videos explaining stuff. Waiting eagerly for the first! Also, this made me thought I could try maybe doing a podcast about something or just reading something and uploading it to practice my pronunciation and utterance-construction (?) skills :O.

7. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    And I'm... not quite ready for the first episode yet. I decided I needed a different first episode first, and it's taking a minute or two to write.

To answer the background music question: the constant background music from the promo will in the future be less than a minute intro and outro. I'm trying to follow the format of professional podcasts I follow: their first episode, a little 3-5 minute thing will have upbeat or themed extended intro music the whole time, but after that each episode just has its intro theme that fades out after less than a minute. This was part of my plan all along, however, I was going to have the fading-out music at a similar volume. With this feedback, I'm going to have the pre-faded music quieter, even though the intro at the start will only last exactly 42.864 seconds total, and the outro about 12.5 seconds. It's hard being your own audio engineer.

I may also use this feedback when I add segments of music during discussions, like when I need something dramatic. I already know an instance I'll want to use some Gen-5 legendary music and two particular MMX1 soundtracks... because video game music is one thing that makes individually me materialistically happy. And we're all nerds here.

I'm 92.5% sure that the first episode will be up this weekend, and then hopefully every two weeks after that. Talk to you then!

Gwoomy, Riptide5738 and Darkmaster006 like this.
  8. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Episode 1 is now ready! This is my first full-length episode, and not the one I originally wanted to do, but its placement at the beginning is even better. This is all about what happiness is, or at least my definition of it. Running time is 9:55, and I'm aiming for a 10 minute average for future episodes.

Again, I welcome all feedback, anything from technical advice to topic requests to telling me that I'm full of crap (as long as you explain why I'm full of crap).

Give it a listen if you're interested!

(sound credit: In addition to "Buena's Password" from HGSS like every episode, this episode includes also "The Dragon Awakes" from "Pokémon Black & Pokémon White: Super Music Collection", composed and arranged by Shota Kageyama.)

#8 Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Laserdragon14 likes this.
  9. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Just got through listening to it and it was great except that the music in the middle section was a little too loud and I could barely tell what you were saying.

10. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    Here we go, I finally got some time to listen to it! It’s great! I just gotta agree with Laser here, when you were talking about Unova dragons in the middle, the music was too loud.

11. Absolute Zero

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Edit: Never mind, I'm not satisfied with how this one turned out, and I'm not going to release a product I'm not proud of with my name on it. There's a lot that needs to be improved about this, technically and content-wise. Stay tuned for the two-point-oh.

Attached Files:

#11 Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  12. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    The Google file doesn't work on my iPad for some reason? :/