1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Preferred Shiny Hunting Method?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Kimochiru, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Kimochiru

PokéPoints:
    ₽82.7
    We've had the selective IV breeding in GSC, PokeRadar in DPPt as well as XY, double battling/hoard battling in BW, XY, and ORAS, DexNav in ORAS, SOS chaining in SuMo, Masuda throughout IV-VII, and don't forget plain old random encounters!

Which of these methods do you prefer? What Pokémon have you captured with them?

I've recently gotten into Radar chains and managed to get two Shiny Chatot from it. I actually like this method because although it's tedious, the reward pays off, as it's not uncommon to try and capture multiple shinies after achieving your 40 chain! It's a lot more guaranteed than others as well (2% chance of shiny as opposed to 1/512, etc.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. An Evil Wizard

An Evil Wizard The Ironic Mage

Chef Boyardee
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.7
    Fightinium Z ★★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Beedrillite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I like the egg hatching method. Not only can you get a shiny, but you can also breed for IVs and a good nature.

The only thing that annoys me about this method is you're PC box will get full of breeding rejects, but those can be WTed off. However I like to just keep them in pokebank.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Kimochiru likes this.
  3. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    SOS battle in Sun and Moon or Horde Hunting in oras

Kimochiru likes this.
  4. Smooshie

Smooshie Feebas Enthusiast

Mimi
    (Feebas)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽270.2
    I've only ever successfully got a shiny through the masuda method and through a random encounter.

The random encounter happened in Emerald and it was a shiny female zigzagoon. I also managed to capture a shiny female minun in Pokémon Y.

For the Masuda method, it happened in Pokémon Black and I hatched a shiny male zorua. I named him Prince and kept him as a Zorua for a long while before finally evolving him into Zoroark.

Kimochiru likes this.
  5. Kimochiru

PokéPoints:
    ₽82.7
    Yeah, it's convenient in that way. Although the DexNav in ORAS has a similar thing- you chain and have a higher chance for good IVs as well as Synchronise- breeding is more certain by using Destiny Knot and Everstone. If you're patient it'll happen.

6. MetaKnightmareUltra

PokéPoints:
    ₽147.6
    i never used Dexnav lol

Kimochiru likes this.
  7. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I prefer Masuda Method over any other method. I don't do it for the IVs and all but it's nice to control the type of Pokémon you can get, while still giving other people a bit of your results! (like breedject trading)

I'll still sometimes break out my Y cartridge to try and attempt to breed a shiny Feebas. It's not going well...

*KALOS BIKE MUSIC INTENSIFIES*

Kimochiru likes this.
  8. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Mine is breeding beauteous even if I never find my shiny, I can always get something nice on the side.

9. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    I've always been a fan of breeding, myself. It's repetitive in a way that's quite relaxing, so I really don't mind it that much. Plus, you can get some good IVs and natures out of it, too- and a ton of good extras for trading purposes, as well! My first shiny in Moon was a bred shiny (bred during the middle of the main game on my first runthrough, don't judge me), and it's really fun no matter what game it's in.

I actually got started as a shiny hunter back in GSC with the breeding method there- granted, it was a lot easier, because with a shiny Ditto there was about a 1/64 chance of the egg being shiny, but... eh, it was still fun!

10. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    Hordes were fun to shiny hunt with, and I found a few neat things iirc. In general I prefer Masuda Method though, since I'm more or less in control of the IVs/nature/moves the baby ends up with... and as someone who is picky with permanent team members, that's awesome for me ahah.

11. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I have to say breeding with the Masuda method, because I can WT the rejects and I don't have to go through the normal process of catching them. For reference, here's the steps.
    1: Gira finds Shiny.
    2: Gira freaks out and nearly has a heart attack.
    3: Gira epically fails at catching said Shiny.
    4: Gira cries for an hour.
    #MissingNo

Kimochiru likes this.
  12. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I've tried the Poke Radar, and I suck at it. I always seem to pick the wrong patch of grass, and I eventually gave up on it on my copy of Y. I instead resorted to horde battles. Of poor Pokémon I had taught Sweet Scent (pre Evolution of Aromatisse). I worked you to death after I ran out of honey. BUT HEY! It worked! So here's my list!

-Spinda (wait, I think this was a random encounter...)
    -Wingull (so happy once I found it!!)
    -Whismur (less happy, but yay!)

And that was it. I had a Shiny Eevee traded to me, but that doesn't count. It's ironic, though, because all of the shinies I got were related to the color green...

Kimochiru likes this.
  13. Kimochiru

PokéPoints:
    ₽82.7
    Lie down.
    Try not to cry.
    Cry a lot. ='(
    (At least we have LV shiny adoptables..)

@[member="BlackKyurem27"] For the PKradar you would usually pick the farthest patch of grass from you (radius of 4). There are other factors in the shaking grass placement that influence this probability, but the basic rule is to go to the fourth/farthest patch of grass from you.

14. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    @[member="Kimochiru"]. I've tried. But I fail miserably every time. It's either the fact that there's that small shaking patch that I didn't notice before and makes me break the chain, or that the patch I pick is basically the wrong one I need. For instance, there have been plenty of times where there are only two patches that shake. Both are active shakers, and are about the same distance apart. So I pick one of them, and it's the wrong Pokémon. I wanted a shiny Eevee that I actually caught myself...

15. Kimochiru

PokéPoints:
    ₽82.7
    @[member="BlackKyurem27"] Have you tried resetting the radar? If there are only two patches you can carefully walk to a larger range of grass and "reshake" the grass. Also, capturing a Pokémon while chaining improves your chances of continuing the chain by 10%, which can be a huge help =)

16. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    @[member="Kimochiru"]. Huh. I didn't really think about that. I'm so clueless when it comes to shiny hunting sometimes! I would try it, but I don't have Y anymore (sparring the sob story), but I'll keep it in my mind the next time there's the PokeRadar in a game. All I would do is just 1hit KO Pokémon in a chain XD. That would also help maybe with IVs and whatnot (since I'm more of a casual-ish Trainer). But yeah...

Kimochiru likes this.
  17. UnderTheMoon

PokéPoints:
    ₽79.3
    I personally love Dexnav/Chaining methods. I believe it's more effective, since I usually catch more shinies Chaining/Dexnav than when i'm hatching eggs on Masuda method or even horde hunting (Since its usually a random draw on what will come out shiny, unless you horde hunt where only one horde is available which leaves only one or two Pokémon to choose out of that defined catagory) and Soft Resetting is evil *-*

Kimochiru likes this.
  18. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    And thank god for Adoptables, because I don't have to catch them.
    #MissingNo

Kimochiru likes this.
  19. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I prefer the Matsuda Method. My first real attempt was a regular Shiny Vulpix on Alpha Sapphire. I ended up getting two Vulpix within the same batch of eggs. After that, I bred an Electrike, Venipede (I was joking around asking if I should go for a shiny one, and while I was thinking I hatched a shiny one, seven eggs into the breeding process). And then on Moon I tried again with success. Even if I got trolled a lot trying to get my Alolapix in Moon. Now I have two of them, as well as a Shiny Feebas.

Kimochiru likes this.
  20. Kimochiru

PokéPoints:
    ₽82.7
    @[member="MarineAurora"] Huh, that's pretty cool! Have you used the shinies for battling competitively? I haven't had such luck with Masuda, which is probably why I don't use it much.