1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Quality Vs. Quantity.

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by awney, Sep 2, 2018.

1. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Many people have different views on whether an artist who has more quality in their art is better than a person who posts more frequently, or has a higher quantity of art.

If you are an artist, do you prefer pumping out a lot of art in a short period of time, or do you like to take your time on each piece you do and create a higher quality piece? For those who like to appreciate more, do you prefer an artist with more art, or someone who posts less often and focuses more on quality?

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that an artist who posts a lot doesn't have quality art. I'm sure plenty of artists out there can draw very quickly and produce stunning results.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I prefer to spend more time on one drawing. I feel prouder of my art if I worked hard on something and feel that it paid off ^_^

As for what I like in others' art, different art styles come into play a bit. I might like this one artist who makes really nice, intricate scenes, and also like another artist who creates cute, simple art. Obviously there would be a difference in the amount of time each artist takes to finish one piece, but I find it hard to compare them because they're so different.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    awney likes this.
  3. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,661.8
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I'm not really one to produce "finished art" traditionally (maybe I'm just not used to it anymore, who knows.) But recently I've been having a lot of ideas that I love so much that I want my rendition of them to be as "perfect" as I can make it. So I haven't really finished any art so far x) School isn't gonna help.
    Also I agree with luxie on the other artists part.

awney likes this.
  4. Encrylox

Encrylox Swimmer

Mischief
    (Misdreavus)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽832.4
    I try to prioritize quality every day, but I would like to seek higher quality by taking more time on my drawings.

5. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    i guess it depends?? sometimes ill be in a "fuck it ill just sketch like 7 things today" mood and other days ill want to spend like 5 days on one piece. nobody really sees my sketches though so i tend to prioritize making sure my one piece is as clean as can be over making a bunch of things in a short time frame

6. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I like to produce at least one finished pic a week but when I got back into art it was very much quantity over quality. I'd get like 8-10 finished pics done in a week but now I've levelled up my 'art style' that it requires a little more time to complete. Mainly because I add details now and shading is a thing again.

I do get the fear though because what if the art block comes back because I'm not producing enough again????? Hhhh.

7. Pyrophobic Quilava

Blader
    (Treecko)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,207.7
    Personally I like quality over quantity more.

But seeing how little visibility you get on the internet, that is hardly the way to go.

8. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Considering I put very little of my art out there, I definitely prefer quality over quantity. I draw for myself, not for other people, and I want to feel good about what I draw. I feel good about putting lots of time in a single drawing, rather than lots of less detailed drawings.

Pyrophobic Quilava likes this.