1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Rank your favorite video games!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Wizard, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Wizard

Wizard Two Crests

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 58
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,117.9
    It's been a long time since we've had a thread like this, so let's begin! Instead of specifically making this a "top 5" or "top 10" or "top 25" favorite game thread, I decided to leave the number to you! For example, I have a difficult time keeping it to five, but that might be sufficient for some of you.

Here are my top 25 favorite video games ever:
    25. Tetris 99 - Despite HATING Tetris previously, this game has introduced me to the series. Not a perfect game, or even one with a lot of content, but it is a fun game, nonetheless.

24. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - Definitely my favorite of the three paths of Fire Emblem Fates. While most of the characters were forgettable, there were a lot of great moments to be had through the combat.

23. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - I only just finished getting all of the playable characters, but this game has proven to be an excellent JRPG. The combat is great, nearly as good as the original. However, there are several tropes and poorly done moments that drag this game down majorly. This game's redeeming quality is the soundtrack, which is easily one of my favorites in gaming. Like the other Xenoblade games, the world is beautiful and has some fantastic locations. This game has so much potential, but just falls short. (P.S. fire the English sound team)

22. Kid Icarus: Uprising - It's been a good minute since I've played it all the way through, but this is a solid and underrated game. Personality drips from its very being. It's only because I have no desire to play it again for whatever reason.

21. Crash Bandicoot: Warped - Despite the horrendous camera angles, this platformer is one of the defining games of my childhood. After playing the N'Sane Trilogy, I was surprised to remember almost every single level, despite not touching the game in years. Crash games have so much personality, which really brings it up.

20. Call of Duty: World at War - I know, I know, Call of Duty is lame... not really. I actually have a good amount of fun with these games, but only with friends. World at War has a fun campaign where I've had WAY too much fun in the past. Probably my favorite installment in the franchise, despite being technically less impressive than its successors.

19. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - It pains me to put this game so low on this list. Some of the moments in the story were easily among my favorites in gaming. So, what gives? That answer is simple, yet painful: DLC. Fire Emblem has never been the most generous with DLC, but in this game, leveling up takes way too much time without it. I've never bought it, because I'm a cheapo college student and don't want it. I'm not opposed to spending a couple bucks for this, but $8 for the ability to level up faster? No thank you. A great game with squandered execution.

18. Donkey Kong Country 2 - One of the most timeless games ever created. The graphics, unlike many other games from the time period, are actually quite nice, even to this day. The gameplay is difficult, unforgiving, and SO GOOD. Not my favorite platformer, but it is definitely deserving of being in my top 25. Also, another example of a soundtrack done correctly.

17. Pokémon Black/White 2 - The only Pokémon game that will grace this list. Why? Because while Pokémon is fun, the quality of the games simple does not hold up to the rest of the most popular series, imo. This game was PACKED with fun content and kept me busy for well over a hundred hours, which is impressive for a Pokémon game and my recent lack of interest. The Pokédex is my favorite behind only X/Y and the additions to Unova were just right.

16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This game would have been sitting in my top 5, maybe top 6 after I played through it originally. What changed? I thought about the game. Getting to all 120 shrines and fighting Ganon were some of my favorite moments in gaming. However, now that I'm done with that and the DLC, I have no desire to return to this game anytime soon. A watermark of a good game, in my opinion, is the desire to return and play it again sometime. It's been a couple months since I polished off the shrines, but the game doesn't appeal to me. The reason it sits on this list is because the time I had playing and exploring for the first time was SO MUCH FUN. Definitely an all-time classic that people will remember fondly, however. Also, what the heckie is the story, I wanted more.

15. Splatoon - Meet one of my addictions: Splatoon. I have played one match of Splatoon 2, so I don't have much to say about it. However, Splatoon is a marvelous shooter in which I wasted dozens of hours of my life. Easily one of the most creative games I've ever played, with the just the right blend of strategy, shooting, and personality. The lack of single player brings it down just a bit.

14. Kirby Air Ride - This game is an underappreciated gem. Despite a lack of content, I love this game. City Trial is one of the best video game memories of my childhood, and the concept is still fun to me to this day. A great time to have with friends once in a great while.

13. Bravely Default - My journey into the realm of JRPG's really kicked off with Bravely Default. Despite having major tropes and typical themes, the combat stands out beautifully. The "brave" and the "default" options really opened up my brain to the possibilities of turn based combat.

12. Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) - What a classic. This is the shooter of my childhood. pretty much anybody who has played it has good memories. Any questions? Good.

11. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - While my Switch was being repaired, I was reminded of how much fun Animal Crossing is. This game is an amazing stress reliever. Also, Animal Crossing on the Gamecube taught me about capitalism, so there's that.

10. Super Mario World - My favorite SNES game. I have played through this game so many times, I have lost track. To this day, it is still my personal favorite in side-scrolling platformers. I will probably play this game until the end of my life, assuming Nintendo isn't DUMB WITH THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE.

9. Mario Kart Wii - The more I thought about it, the more I realized how great this game is. Unlike the general population, I was INCREDIBLY disappointed with Mario Kart 8. The system of unlocking characters, the hidden stats, and the great variety of stages really stand out to me. Above all else, this is a great multiplayer game, and even a single player time waster.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Now we're REALLY getting into my favorites. I've never seen a game more argued about. However, I finished my adventure for the first time at the ripe age of 19. Regardless of what other people believe, I believe this is still one of the best games ever made. I enjoyed my time here, but still haven't gone back to play it yet.

7. Star Wars Battlefront (2015) - This is my outlier in this list. I put nearly 100 hours into a CONSOLE GAME in less than months while working a full time job. That's impressive for me to play something like long on a non-handheld. I came into this game not expecting much, but came away with finding my favorite shooter.

6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The newest Smash Bros will always overtake the previous (sorry Melee, you're still good). I don't have much to say here except this: I love Smash Bros.

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Unlike my previous game, I don't even know where to begin. Skyrim became my life this past October. After several files, I finally got my first final past level 20 and all the way to 68. I've completed almost every quest in the game, I'm close to level 81 (still haven't taken the time to grind my side stats), and I've had a blast in the process. There is just so much to do in Skyrim! It also has the most satisfying DLC of any game I've played up to this point. If you haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and realize your true potential as the Dragonborn.

4. Fire Emblem: Awakening - Previously my number 2 game, Awakening has taken a fall. It's still a good game with several flaws, but I can't bring myself to beat it again. There are a ton of super generic moments, but some moments unlike anything I have seen in another game (granted I mostly play Nintendo). The support conversations really hooked me into the characters and what they had to offer. This alongside some great strategy really made the game special to me.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker - My favorite Zelda game. I played through the HD version on the WiiU not too long ago. This game took no time at all to impress me with unique yet beautiful art style, the SAILING, the secrets, and some of the greatest charm I've ever seen in a game. From Link's facial expressions to quirky sidequests, this game is a personal classic that keeps drawing me back in. The HD version also improves the lighting and sailing speed, so I recommend this version to anybody who wants to play this gem.

2. Super Mario Odyssey - I've never been much of a Completionist. I'm fine with letting collectibles slide. Yet, here I am, trying to 100% Super Mario Odyssey. This game encapsulates joy and wonder more than any other game I have ever played. If not for my spectacular number one, this would EASILY take the cake. Mario has never felt so smooth, the world have never popped so much, and the fun has never been so endless. Exploring the hundreds and hundreds of moons, purple coins, and worlds has been a joy unmatched by any other game. The Darker Side is one of my favorite final levels in gaming, and beating it was SO satisfying. After playing through the story part, I felt I had wasted $40 on the game. However, I feel this game really begins after the story. I encourage all Switch owners to get this game. This is my favorite platformer, and I would be impressed if it doesn't hold that title for many years to come. Super Mario Odyssey took everything good about Mario, and made it better. Also, New Donk City is my favorite place in any game. Despite this being an amazing experience, there is one that I love even more...

1. Xenoblade Chronicles - It's no secret that I love this game. Xenoblade Chronicles is an incredible experience for those who put the time in. An amazing story, even better characters, deep combat, an amazing soundtrack, a beautiful world, tear-jerking moments, well-done plot twists, great voice acting, and so much more leads to a one-of-a-kind experience. If you have a *New* Nintendo 3ds and you don't have this game, let me quote the great Reggie Fils-Aime and say, "What's wrong with you?" This game truly is a treat that I can't fully describe. Go enjoy this great adventure, you won't regret it (if you do, you did something wrong. Either that, or you have an opinion).

What are your favorite games? Why are they your favorites? Let us know!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,075.7
    I have many favorite games, all of them Nintendo. I am very much a Nintendo girl. Sadly, I can't rate them all, but here's my top ten with a few honorable mentions.

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'm on my third play-through and I'm STILL finding locations I had no idea of. I love the open world concept and the scenery is amazing. The characters feel real and the guardians are still heart-wrenching scary.

2. Pokémon Black. My first Pokémon game and I love it. The only reason it's not number one is because it doesn't have a truly open world and amazing graphics. But I'm still in love with the story and the main characters. I find them to be very real and full of depth. That, and I think Ghetsis is a top-notch villain.

3. Fire Emblem: Awakening. My first Fie Emblem title and I was hooked. I enjoyed the characters and their interactions with each other, some scenes tugged at my heartstrings (if y'all played, y'all know that one) while others laugh hard.

4.Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. This is my first zelda game that I played through to the end and I enjoyed every second. The story engaged me from the beginning and ignited a love for the Zelda franchise in my heart.

5. Hyrule Warriors. I haven't played this time in forever but it remains on my top 5 for one reason only: Ganon. I loved being able to play as the villains and be at the other end of the struggle. It was awesome and I wish more games let me play as the villain.

Honorable mentions:

Fire Emblem Echos: Shadows of Valencia. This game is friggin' HARD. It takes forever and a day to level up and there is no real good way to grind. The story is great and the characters are memorable but the above reason overwhelms it.

Miitopia. Only fun if you *try* to make characters from other fandoms. I have Link, Yuga, Touko and myself on my current team. it's great.

Legend of Zelda: A link between worlds. It's LoZ, I like it but I like other titles more. It's an amazing concept and Yuga is grade A but I only played it twice and it's good for when you have nothing else to do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Haunted Ditto

Houndour
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,001.8
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    I don't really play a big variety of Videogame franchises so I will only do a Top 10 to prevent the Pokémon games to appear in 80% of the places.

1. Age of Empire 2 HD: Maybe it is the nostalgia, but I freaking love this game. I just love RTS games and this is the mother of RTS games. With the improved Resolution it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore and the DLCs they added 16 YEARS AFTER THE ORIGINAL RELEASE or really awesome. I also love history and playing as famous commanders like Babarossa, El Cid, etc. is just great.

2. Pokémon Black and White 2: The game has everything. It is challenging, has a nice region, a big variety of Pokémon to catch and alot of postgame Content (Pokewood, collecting all the medals, battle in the White Treehollow, completing a part of the Pokédex to get a shiny Haxorus and more). In my opinion it is the best main series Pokémon game

3. Far Cry 3: I normally hat open-world and shooters, but this game does this two things so good. The story is awesome too. I can't really describe why I love it so much.

4. Smash Bros: Fighting with a big variety of Nintendo characters against your Friends is so much fun and a must have for every good party.

5. Pokémon Ranger 2: Great Story, great bosses and they changed the retarded catching system from the first part. I really miss the series btw.

6. Pacman: Don't ask me why, but when I see a Pacman arcade machine, I can't stop wasting my money on it.

7. Star Wars the Force Unleashed: I like Star Wars and I like playing alternate versions of my fav franchises story. Probably here cause of nostalgia. The second part is bad.

8. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Like most of the other, it has alot of content. Just the rogue-like elemets are making me frustrate a little bit. Also Dungeons with thousands of floors + the starving feature made it pretty unenjoyable at some points

9. Super Mario 3D Land: Can't say much, but it is the best Mario game I played so far.

10. Near Death: AND at the end a Horror/survival game. One of my favorite types of games. Had some really nice ideas like the death through Cold temperatures. You need to get in a Building and then repair everything so you can warm up.

Here are some honorable mentions: Slender: The Arrival; Steamworld Dig; Merry Glade; Gunman Clive; Star Wars Republic Commando; Left 4 Dead; Serial Cleaner

4. Jeydis

Jeydis See our power shine.

Fiesta!
    (Lombre)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽208.2
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Hmm never really tried ranking them but here we go!

G-Darius
    For the soundtrack alone but also for the fantastic gameplay and bizarre enemy design (they are all sea creatures in robotic form, its great.) It is also one of the games I played the most with my BF so there's that too.

Kirby Superstar
    I just didn't know where to place it :( Played it a ton at my childhood best friend's place since I didn't own a console until muuuuuuch later. Played the shit out of the remake on 3ds as well.

10. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    I have very fond memories of going over the manual and magazine guide I had for this game over and over to learn all the secrets this game had and 100% it when I was a kid. I have not completed a game that thoroughly since that I can recall. Very excited for the remake.

9. Styx: Master of Shadows
    I am garbage at stealth games but I really enjoy this one (cannot complete all the challenges and stuff though, no patience) the lore and character depth around Styx is fascinating and I will be going back through the related games in time to see where all of the world building comes from.

8. Dota 2
    Man it surprises me that I am putting it this far down considering how much I played it (
    2,439 hours). But I think I finally burnt out on it after all these years. I still watch the International and keep up to date though, I just can't be bothered learning everything over again since so much has changed. Also the only game that really gets me pissed off which I don't miss.

7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    Such a gorgeous game and the storytelling floored me. I was getting pretty tired of the RPGs coming out at the time as they were starting to all blend together in my mind but this one stood out. Very, very excited to see what CD Projekt Red does with Cyberpunk 2077.

6. Hollow Knight
    I just starting playing this a few months ago but I am very fond of it, the artstyle is fantastic, the gameplay is satisfying and the character development for every single NPC is at least interesting if not outright fantastic.

5. Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
    I can hear my BF groaning in my head as I write this as he is very fond of the original on PS1 but I have to go with advanced as it is the first one I played and am very nostalgic for. The PS1 tactics is a freakin' masterstroke in game making don't get me wrong. But the music, the artstyle and the gameplay of advanced is something near and dear to my heart. If you are a fire emblem fan I highly recommend any of the 3 FF tactics games.

4. Pokémon Emerald

Speaking of nostalgia... I had to put in my favorite Pokémon game here. I enjoyed Pokémon before I played this but never got reaaaallly into it until gen 3. I have played Emerald though many times (not something I do often to games) and still love it to this day. The sprites, the Pokémon, the abilities (something I have realized love the last couple of years is something I really love in Pokémon), the story, the bases, the different "flavors" of the towns (not just one or two but like alllll of them) and of course the music are all fantastic and hit that perfect note for me. (please add it to the virtual console in it's original form Nintendo, take my money!)

3. Ori and the Blind forest
    The artstyle of this game is flooring. Every part of it could be screenshotted and put as a wallpaper. The gameplay is quick and pretty easy to learn, the platforming can be challenging but is fair and the mechanics this game implements are so perfect for a platformer and feel great to the player. I cannot recommend this game enough, play it if you haven't!

2. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
    My second most played game on Steam (357 hours with very little idle that I recall)
    This is the most replayable and varied Roguelike that I still currently play (I am very fond of these kinds of games but none have lasted this long in my play list on steam) It's bizarre, the story is intriguing even though it makes very little sense, the sound design is fantastic for the most part (so creepy in parts) and the power up variety is insane. I will complete this one day but I will take my sweet time doing so.

1. Donkey Kong Country 2
    The game I have replayed the most, first on Gameboy a couple of times, the on the SNES at a friend's place and finally multiple times on the 3ds. Would play again if they moved it to the switch. Best videogame soundtrack for me, great gameplay and enemy designs, awesome level designs and proper rewards for exploring every inch of them. Great game to complete.

#4 Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  5. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    I'll just make a top 5 list since, well, I'm not a big game player.

So, at the bottom of the list, number 5 - State of Decay 2. As much as I loved this game when I first picked it up in 2018, I find it now one of the most tedious and boring games I have ever played. It's all about survival, and the entrance tutorial is just plain boring. Maybe if there was a bit more excitement when it came to playing it, I'd go back. But, really, there's nothing anymore.

Number 4 is going to be... Pokémon Ranger - the original one by the way. I recently got it from my friend since, well, they don't like the game any longer. I like how old and retro it is, but the tutorial at the start takes way too long. And it's unlike the other games I'm so used to, so that brings it down a bit. At least the story is interesting. And it has something of an epilogue

Number 3? That spot goes to Outlast and its wonderful sequel. Horror games are a big thing for me, and these games are included as well. Horrifying, great graphics, and a story to boot. I love them to the grave and back.

Number 2 has got to be Monster Hunter: World. It was my first ever look into the Monster Hunter franchise, and I just loved it. Getting used to the weapons and monsters was a bit wonky, and the camera is a bit weird to control. But above all that, I just love hunting the monsters and reserving resources. I still have yet to complete everything I want to, but I'm trying.

And finally, what else but Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky? One of my first every games was PMD, but I just got this one about half a year ago. I absolutely adore the game, and the old feel makes me so happy when I compare it to games of today. Yes, it's a bit wonky, but I find that a part of the charm for it.

And that's it for my list and the reasons why I love these games.

6. Dawn

Dawn The Hermit

Melo--eh?
    (Meloetta Egg (Infected))
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,260.3
    Ain't no kill like overkill.

100 – Age of Empires. The only RTS title that I will go back to after all these years and still enjoy just as much as I did the first time. There is something to be said for the simplicity of it, and I find the dated visuals quite charming.

99 – Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. This did something I never thought was possible: it got me to care about the cast of FFVII. Zack is a far more compelling lead than Cloud ever was, and Sephiroth makes a much more interesting protagonist than antagonist...and Crisis Core makes the transition between the two believable, to an extent. Combat was quite enjoyable as well, roulette aside.

98 – Streets of Rage. I'm not a fan of this kind of game, but having played Streets of Rage again recently I am reminded of its old-school charm. The music in particular is a real highlight for me too, and I have fond childhood memories of playing it. Despite showing its age now it's surprisingly intuitive.

97 – Banjo-Kazooie. Where other kids with an N64 had Super Mario 64, I had Banjo-Kazooie, and honestly I think in terms of visuals and gameplay it holds up significantly better. It's not a collect-a-thon that I'd want to go for 100% in a second time around, but it has some fantastic locations considering it was on the N64, and the music is probably my favourite on the platform. Hoping this gets a Switch port because I would buy it in a heartbeat.

96 – Ninety-Nine Nights. A mostly forgotten hack-and-slash Warriors-style game that I would spend HOURS playing back when I had a 360. It was surprisingly fluid, the cast was more engaging than mainline Dynasty Warriors – which I have always had an issue with; I just can't get into them – and most importantly, it had style.

95 – Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3. I was SO glad when this got a 3DS Ambassador release, because it's easily the best Mario Advance game, and one of the better Mario titles. I don't much care for Yoshi but I found that I really took to this game. I love how the world map music evolves the further you progress through the game!

94 – Silent Bomber. A little-known PS1 title that a friend and I would play a lot of when I was in Primary School. It's basically a faster-paced 360 movement version of Bomberman, with the standard-issue war story that was popular at the time. But I've never played anything quite like it since then.

93 – Sweetest Monster. A very short VN by ebihime I read last year that has left a small psychological scar on me ever since. The writing is very familiar and colloquial to me, and the plot twist is one of the most shocking I have seen in years, because I had absolutely no clue it was coming. Definitely worth a read.

92 – Persona 5. You know what? This deserves a spot on my list, because it made me LIKE Persona...and after Persona 4, I didn't think that was going to be possible. But it has a likeable cast, a couple of great vocal tracks, it doesn't spend HOURS plodding despite the generally slow pace, and it tells a fairly compelling story even if it is a little predictable and doesn't break the mold. It's also visually stunning...and when you play a game for 80 hours, it generally helps. Red and black is much nicer than the puke storm that Persona 4 was, though.

91 - Katawa Shoujo. This might have scored much higher on my list if more than two of the routes – Lilly and Rin – had been worth reading, but Shizune and Emi let it down badly, and Hanako's made my blood boil. I STILL get annoyed thinking about Hananko's route. I could have also done without Kenji. But the mark of a good story is that it stirs emotions – both wanted and unwanted- in you, and I still think about this game. I played for the controversy surrounding it, but I stayed for the character development, which I was so happy to see, all things considered.

90 – Final Fantasy XIII-2. I like FFXIII-2. I'm not ashamed to admit it. It gave Serah some much-needed backbone, introduced Caius Ballad, and despite the clusterfuck narrative and lazy monster taming was so much more fun than the original. It reminded me a lot of FFX-2 in many ways, just without the magical girl motif...unfortunately.

89 – Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk. Whilst it didn't hit the heights of the Arland trilogy, I felt like Ayesha's search for her sister was far more emotional and meaningful than Totori's search for her mother, and the option to choose the ending you wanted was a godsend after the nightmare of trying to navigate the various endings in the Arland trilogy. I was so worried for this franchise when Meruru closed the book on Arland, and Ayesha gave me (unfortunately false) hope that it might get even better in the future.

88 – Dishonored. Maybe this one should be a little higher up. Maybe. This game is just so brilliantly designed it's unbelievable. It's the only game where I've wanted to attempt an all-stealth, no kill run in; that's made it more fun to do that then just murdering everything in sight. The indirect assassinations were inventive and fun to carry out. And if you wanted to run through it like a killing machine it gave you a host of supernatural powers to do just that. Awesome stuff.

87 – Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. This was my first game that delved into Norse mythology, something that prior to playing it, I had zero knowledge of. I fell in love with the world this game presented, as well as the cast of characters – Lezard's laugh still terrifies me – and the combat system, which was a precursor to Resonance of Fate...which is significantly higher-up on this list. This game also boasts some of Sakuraba's best works outside of the Tales series.

86 – Darksiders III. More Darksiders. I was so excited for this, and I was determined to enjoy it when I finally DID get my hands on it. It doesn't advance the plot the way I would like – for crying out loud, are they ever going to move past the ending of the first game? - but it DOES twist the concepts it borrows from religion admirably (in this case, the seven deadly sins) and despite being utterly ridiculous it carries itself with a gravity that makes it pretty damn compelling. As a character Fury is far more interesting than Death as well, so that is a definite plus.

85 - Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland. I'm still waiting for them to make a Kirby game better than this one. They haven't yet. It's cute, colourful, has some great soundtrack, and it's at just the right difficulty to not bore me whilst simultaneously being easy enough that I can just play it without any real hassle...and that is not something many games achieve, even on this list. It's just fun, plain and simple.

84 – Super Mario Odyssey. I imagine this would rank significantly higher on most people's lists, but for me Mario Odyssey didn't give me much, apart from something I had been missing in my life for several years: a Mario game that was actually fun to play. I despised Sunshine, and I honestly had no interest in Galaxy because of the awful motion controls Nintendo were forcing on players at the time with the Wii. They're still irritatingly present in Odyssey, but it's perfectly playable in handheld mode, and I think with Odyssey I finally got a glimpse of just why Mario captivates so many people. Not for me, perhaps. But still something that I won't forget in a hurry.

83 – Conker's Bad Fur Day. I have to give this game a mention for just how utter juvenile it is. I mean, when it starts with Conker sawing the N64 logo in half – before the game even starts – you get an idea of the tone. Toilet humour, outdated movie references, and surprisingly good gameplay and voice acting. Plus the funniest iteration of the Grim Reaper I've ever seen. XD

82 – Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. This is the game that got me into the Gundam franchise, and made me take a closer look at Dynasty Warriors spinoffs. The cel-shaded visuals were perfect for the gameplay, smashing up robots was much more enjoyable than killing random mooks, and it gave me enough of a taste of the various Gundam series to know where I wanted to go with it from there. Plus it was dubbed!

81 – Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory/V Generation. Same game, different platform. After Mk.II disappointed me quite a bit – the “bad” ending where literally everyone except Nepgear dies isn't quite enough to get it on my list, not after I had to endure CFW Trick and Rom/Ram for hours to get it – Victory was a return to form, with the introduction of Plutia, Neptune returning as the central protagonist (not that I minded Nepgear too much) and the combat being just as good as it was in the previous game. I love the Neptunia series for its references, casual dismissal of the fourth wall, and fantastic localisation, and this game was superb.

80 – Sonic the Hedgehog. Alright, I admit it. Nostalgia. But to me the original Sonic will always be the best – it doesn't have Tails, it has the best music, no Casino Zone, and after all these years it's still fun despite the fact that I usually die a horrible death at Labyrinth Zone. I grew up with Sonic the Hedgehog, this was my first console game, and I love it. Some things just stay with you.

79 – Disgaea 1. Hour of Darkness, Afternoon of Darkness, Complete...whichever version. This introduced me to many new things – humour in video games, strategy RPGs, NIS America, etc. Without it I think my tastes would be completely different now, and whilst I think the fourth game is substantially better I still have fond memories of the trio of Laharl, Etna, and Flonne. Disgaea has a unique charm to it that makes it well worth playing through the grind for.

78 – Steins;Gate. I watched the anime first so I was spoiled for the “true” ending, but I didn't expect the level of depth I got from the visual novel. I actually enjoyed the character endings more than the “true” ending, and I absolutely adore the art style used for the characters. It's also one of the few games where I find myself preferring the Japanese voices. It's a shame about Elite – I would much rather have the original version than the pseudo-anime offered by that version – but the original on Vita is a highlight for that system. El. Psy. Congroo.

77 – Super Smash Bros. Melee. Yes, believe it or not, I DID play Smash when I was younger, and I loved it. I spent many hours playing Melee with my friends – I mained Roy, with a little Link on the side, which probably makes me an unskilled normie or something, idk – and I enjoyed playing through Adventure Mode, too. Nintendo was VERY big in my school when the Gamecube was released, and I was swept up in that along with everyone else. I wouldn't say I worship it the same way a lot of people seem to, but it is the only Smash game I can honestly say I've enjoyed...and yes, I have played Ultimate.

76 – Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. God almighty, I wish I had a copy of this myself, and that it wasn't so expensive now to get one. This game was FANTASTIC. I didn't get to play the original Paper Mario until long after, and I wasn't impressed with it. But this was colourful, charming, surprisingly difficult, and a completely different side of Mario that I hadn't seen before. I was obsessed with Doopliss' battle theme for the longest time, too. With Sunshine being a colossal disappointment and all-around bad game, it was nice to have at least one good Mario game on the Gamecube.

75 - Odin Sphere. Vanillaware's one and only good game. I was so happy when this got re-released on the Vita because I had long since lost my original PS2 copy. I played this after Silmeria – because of it, in fact – and I fell in love with the storybook visuals, soundtrack, and relatively simple and surprisingly fun gameplay; it reminded me a lot of the side-scrolling games I would play in my Megadrive days. I didn't much care for Cornelius, but you can't have everything. Playing it years later gave me a greater appreciation for its narrative than I'd had previously.

74 – Metal Gear Solid. Honestly, the original and the Twin Snakes remake is the only MGS game I have ever really enjoyed...it's just not Metal Gear Solid without Liquid Snake. Despite the ridiculously excessive amount of dialogue – or it certainly felt that way back in those days – I was glued to this, because it was the first game I'd played that had stealth as a concept...hell, a necessity. It has Psycho Mantis, with his fourth-wall shattering, memory-card reading, controller-port swapping shenanigans. Stellar voice acting from both David Hayter and Cam Clarke in particular. The original MGS is also far easier to control than any of the games that follow it...they never did get first-person aiming to feel especially comfortable to me.

73 – Shining Resonance Refrain. I didn't expect much from this, and I was pleasantly surprised! Combat is Tales-lite, and it by no means breaks any barriers with its narrative or characters, but it has a musical theme, which instantly won me over, and it's one of the best JRPG experiences I've had on the Switch...that probably won't last, but I will always appreciate it for filling in the gaps in a very long, boring summer. Until the Switch gets a good Tales game it's a more than adequate stand-in, too.

72 – Turok 2. Didn't go much on the first Turok, never played Rage Wars, wish I'd never played Evolution. Turok 2 was my go-to shooter for years, though. The weapons were just outrageously ridiculous – if you've seen the Cerebral Bore you'll know what I'm talking about – and the enemy design was actually pretty unique. For young me it was also extremely difficult, so I was glad for the cheat codes. Giving the enemies big heads made it all the easier to drill into their brains.

71 – Batman: The Enemy Within. Easily Telltale's finest game for being exactly what I wanted out of a sequel to the original: a Joker origin story. Being able to turn him into a familiar psychopath or a crazed wannabe Batman sidekick was great, and both routes had extremely satisfying conclusions. This is easily the best Batman game I've played and it has my second favourite iteration of the Joker after Hamill's iconic performance in the animated series.

70 – Final Fantasy X-2. Yeah, this is on here. I like X-2 more than I do X, for it's more light-hearted tone and for one very important, crucial detail: it gives Yuna a personality. It was great to see Yuna stand on her own two feet for a change and think for herself, rather than relying on her guardians or pine over Tidus. Her weak-willed, insufferable character in X was gone and, whilst it wasn't as good as it could have been, it was still a massive improvement. And you know what? I liked Rikku and Paine. The dressphere system was pretty cool too, and combat felt more involving than it had in X.

69 – Resident Evil 4. Whilst I hate this game for what it did to Resident Evil – turning it from survival horror into survival action, and thereby dooming us to rubbish games thereafter...although I have yet to play Resi 7 so who knows there – I love it for what it is, which is a damn good game. I love Leon's cavalier, gives-no-fucks attitude to things in general, how utterly terrifying this game can be – Regenerators were just ridiculous – and how well it's held up after all this time. I wouldn't pay £30 for it again, though.

68 – Monster Hunter Stories. We need more MH titles like this! Despite the somewhat awkward nature of the rock-paper-scissors battle system, raising monsties and riding on them felt soooo good and it was a refreshing take on the formula. The story wasn't THAT bad, either. The postgame was more than satisfying in terms of difficulty, too.

67 – Fairy Fencer F. This is another game that really surprised me for how high quality it was. The original had a very confusing story, but Advent Dark Force fleshed it out admirably, and the combat was pretty damn enjoyable. But the main reason this game is on my list is for FULL CONTACT. I will never get tired of the entire Fairize sequence that puts you through a magical girl transformation sequence to a heavy rock ballad. They really shouldn't have changed the theme halfway through the game, but having the music change mid-battle whenever you transform always makes it more exciting.

66 – Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. I know this game is generally frowned upon by fans when compared to previous Diablo titles, but this is one of the few games I own that I am repeatedly going back to. I think the devs deserve a hell of a lot of praise for supporting this with free seasons every few months that offers rare loot, exclusive bonuses, and gives me the excuse to go back to Adventure Mode every few months. I will never get tired of the Cow level or the teddy/unicorn level either. Whilst the story is throwaway, there is soooo much content to this, and it never gets boring.

65 – Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. This isn't Igavania, but it IS very good. I'm sorry, but any game that has Sir Patrick Stewart narrating extensively is more than worth time and praise and money and, dare I say it, worship. Hiring professional actors made this game feel extremely high quality, the combat was pretty solid, and the plot was actually pretty good by the end of it. Sure, it borrowed a lot from other games, but it did it right. More than right.

64 – Borderlands 2. This edges out VERY slightly over the first game for having more entertaining NPCs, and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep. Giving the original vault hunters character was the worst thing they could have done, but the combat, weapon variety, and generally everything else asides from that was a massive improvement. Plus the special edition came with a Marcus bobblehead. Pretty awesome stuff.

63 – Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call. This game was fantastic. Whilst it gated off some of the best songs in the franchise behind a DLC paywall and outright excluded many others, there was still sooooo much content here, and as someone who generally doesn't like or play rhythm games because of issues with the track list, having one with music I actually knew and loved was a godsend. It also took good advantage of the 3DS' touch screen – not many games can boast that – and it felt so good to play.

62 – Star Ocean: Second Evolution. Whilst not as good as First Departure, I still had a lot of fun with this game – visuals were pretty great for the PSP, it was long as hell, had a pretty engaging cast (for the most part) and the whole space fantasy thing has always drawn me to this series. In a time when there weren't many appealing JRPGs being released (at least, not on a console I could afford) this was a nice change of pace.

61 – Mass Effect 3: Citadel. This is the one and only DLC expansion entry on my list, but it's a special one. Because as disappointing as Mass Effect 3 was, this was everything I ever wanted and more. It was the perfect sendoff for the series, drawing every character (or every living one, anyway) back together for a huge party and all sorts of ridiculousness, including a heist and a showdown with a clone. There were so many laughs to be had with this. It's worth buying ME3 for alone.

60 – Alan Wake. One of the scariest and most intense games I've played in years. For a thriller, this packs more punch than a survival horror game does these days. The foreshadowing in this game was a stroke of genius, and it had me second-guessing what was going to happen around every corner. Finding a novel passage about what might happen next kept me in constant suspense, and the innocuous nature of the enemies made them that much more threatening – you never knew when something would just throw itself at you. The added Poets of the Fall soundtrack was pretty fantastic too.

59 – God of War: Ghost of Sparta. This is actually one of my favourite God of War titles, as it gave Kratos some much needed personality. I didn't quite care about him by the end of this, but I did start to see him as more human, and for a PSP game this handles incredibly well. It has some of my favourite weapons and boss battles in the entire series.

58 - The Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2. I love this series. This was the first one that I played, on the Gamecube, and I found it a very refreshing change of pace. As a character Kain is both complex in his motivations and thought process and very interesting to watch, and despite the relatively straightforward approach the game took to things and dodgy controls I found myself having a lot more fun than I thought I would. There is something to be said for vampires and cheesy dialogue.

57 – Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Blue Wizard needs food badly! I played through the entire game with a friend, and it was extremely fun. It was my first experience with a top-down action RPG of this nature, and it certainly left an impression.

56 – Tales of Eternia. This was years ahead of its time, and boasts a better story than many of the Tales titles that came after it, I think. I think Meredy might be one of my favourite Tales characters, and whilst the combat wasn't quite as good as the Star Ocean PSP titles, the narrative more than made up for it...and the sound quality for the voice acting was surprising.

55 – Code Realize: Guardian of Rebirth. The otome genre is one that I tread very carefully, because the boys inevitably wind up perverts or psychopaths. Whilst CR had its fair share of those, it had something unique: a lead protagonist with a well-constructed character and a streak of independence that meant she wasn't just another helpless damsel. Plus poisonous skin. But I cared more about Cardia than I did about the boys who were trying to romance her, and that was a refreshing change from other otome titles I had played previously.

54 – The Guided Fate Paradox. An unsung gem from NIS, it had an appealing visual style, an interesting plot, and some fantastic soundtrack. It's absolutely criminal that this has remained native to the PS3 when it is begging for a PS4/Switch port. As a spiritual successor to ZHP – which is much higher up on this list – it performed admirably.

53 – Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. The only Fire Emblem title I can say I really enjoyed beyond Sacred Stones. Conquest was the opposite of Birthright in many ways, bringing varied map objectives, actually likeable characters, an interesting narrative that was surprisingly morally grey, and a lack of grinding in favour of actual strategy. In short, what Fire Emblem fans think Fire Emblem is when it actually is not.

52 – Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. My biggest complaint with Pokémon titles has always been that catching them all is impossible, but this one let you get everything asides Arceus, which was fantastic. The side stories were a nice addition, and this is probably the most content-rich Pokémon title to date, even if the story was, in my opinion, a step down from Blue Rescue Team, and the lack of Friend Areas was absolutely criminal. A fantastic sequel nonetheless.

51 – Metroid Fusion. Actually my first Metroid title, and one that I enjoyed, both for its difficulty – the first time through, anyway – and its presentation. The SA-X remains one of the most terrifying enemies I've seen in a video game – mostly for its invulnerability and the fact that if it spots you it will chase you across the station and it WILL kill you – and, whilst the narrative was rather mediocre, Other M has shown that this was definitely a good thing.

50 – Bioshock. Whilst the sequel polished the gameplay admirably, playing as a Big Daddy never felt as powerful as it should, and the sense of vulnerability is part of what makes Bioshock so appealing. The audio diaries were an interesting way of fleshing out the narrative and the characters, the dim visuals actually worked in the game's favour to create a better atmosphere, the philosophy and history incorporated into Rapture was fascinating, and Sander Cohen's sidequest is one of the most amusingly twisted things I've ever done in a game...especially considering you can take a picture of his corpse for his mural afterwards.

49 – Darksiders. This is a series that I absolutely adore, but neither of the sequels has done it quite as well as the first. A shameless God of War/Zeld hybrid with an apocalyptic theme that is unbelievably cliché but carries itself so well that it draws you right in, fantastic voice acting, soundtrack, world design and combat make this much better than the sum of its parts.

48 – The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons. Between Ages and Seasons, I found this one infinitely more enjoyable for its focus on exploration over puzzles. The Rod of Seasons is one of the best features in any Zelda game to date and really needs to be incorporated into a 3D Zelda title so that the visual change can be shown off to full effect, but as it was on the Gameboy it was amazing for its time. The Link (haha, see what I did there?) to Ages provided a satisfying conclusion too.

47 – Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. The best DS Castlevania in my opinion, I will always remember this game for giving me something I never knew I wanted until I got it: a team-up fight against Death and Dracula. A hard one. God almighty. The anime aesthetic was unnecessary, but worked reasonably well all things considered, and this was classic Igavania: Yamane on soundtrack, and superb level design.

46 – The House in Fata Morgana. What started out as a fairly run-of-the-mill VN – with absolutely terrible music, I have to say – turned out to be one of the most engaging and well-written things I'd read in years. It was an interesting story with a lot of unexpected twists, some very well-handled characters, and it was a pretty decent length

45 – Tales of Xillia 2. Despite the endings being grossly mislabelled – I much preferred the “normal” ending to the “true” ending – this was an excellent sequel to a Tales game that never really lived up to its full potential. Having Gaius and Muzet – two of my favourite characters from the original game – as playable was a huge bonus, and I love after stories and alternate reality takes on things. This was both rolled into one. For a silent protagonist Ludger was remarkably likeable, too!

44 - Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. This is still the definitive Fire Emblem game for me. I find the cast to be strangely captivating – if you ship Eirika with anyone other than Seth we can't be friends, btw – and it may very well have been my first experience with an SRPG...or at least, one that left a positive impression. Where everyone else was playing Advance Wars, I was playing this. I think I got the better deal.

43 – Atelier Meruru: The Apprentic of Arland. This was the perfect conclusion to a fantastic trilogy. Meruru has such fantastic character development, and this game improved dramatically on both the combat and the synthesis, providing a wonderfully well-rounded experience with charming visuals, soundtrack, and voice acting. Seeing almost all of my old favourites from the previous games return was a delight and, stressful as it was at times to manage time, seeing Arls flourish was more than worth it. The map music evolved the more Arls did, too!

42 – Mass Effect. I was initially very sceptical that I was going to like this, but it wound up being one of my favourite games on the Xbox360, and I absolutely refused to buy the games on PS3 until the first one was finally ported across. Being a Renegade is too much fun in these games. The combat is showing its age now, and the Mako controls are and were HORRENDOUS, but this had an absolutely fantastic cast, some creative locales, and a pretty good story, all things considered.

41 – The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. I have always preferred 2D Zelda titles, and I found this one especially creative for its shrinking mechanic, which provided new approaches to solving puzzles and made relatively benign things – like a standard-issue chu and octoling, as well as rain at one point – into major threats. As a villain, Vaati wasn't all that bad either. I'd been starved for a 2D Zelda for a long time prior to this, and Toon Link seemed a more natural fit on the GBA than he did on the Gamecube...it took me a long time to warm up to Toon Link. This helped a great deal.

40 – Metroid Prime. Oh man. This game felt ridiculously epic when I was younger; I would spend hours backtracking through the various locations trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do next, and I never got bored of it. The world was beautifully crafted, and having only played Metroid Fusion prior to this I didn't miss the Metroidvania formula – hell, I even preferred this. There was even an element of survival horror to it in the form of the Space Pirate lab – when the lights went out, I was so done with it for a while – and there is actually quite a lot of detail to be found in scanning everything. This applies only to the Gamecube version. The Wii version can suck it with the rubbish motion controls.

39 – Hyperdimension Neptunia. Whilst the original game had a terrible battle system that was vastly outstripped by Trinity Universe, the dialogue was so on-point. Melissa Fahn delivers the most delightfully snarky and sassy Neptune perfectly, the various references were hilarious and far more frequent than they have been in subsequent titles, and the whole thing felt less like an anime than it has with the Rebirth titles and everything that follows them. That the game didn't really care about its story helped a great deal, too.

38 – Drakengard. Before NieR, there was Drakengard, a magical clusterfuck of incest, paedophilia, cannibalism, demonic possession, and giant babies with teeth...and that is just the tip of the iceberg. This is the best example of botched censoring that I have ever seen, because the majority of this was intact in the Western release, and it was both extremely disturbing and oddly hilarious. Swapping between hack-and-slash combat on the ground and breathing fiery destruction on things from the back of a dragon at will was pretty groundbreaking for the time, and the music was a delightful chaos of various classical tracks playing simultaneously. I love everything about this game. Especially considering that its legacy is two of my favourite video games of all time. Without Drakengard, there would be no NieR. Even if I had hated this game, that alone would earn it a spot on my list. As it is...this needs a remaster, badly.

37 – Horizon: Zero Dawn. One of the best new IP in years, this has given me hope for the future of an industry that is slowly being consumed by rubbish open world games and live services. HZD's open world was content-rich and vibrant...and populated by mechanical animals. There was a sense of vulnerability in this game that I loved, and it handled brilliantly. The narrative was surprisingly deep even if it was somewhat lacking in originality. But this was a game where I actively wanted to explore every location, and never got bored. I would love more games like this, but I hope they never make a sequel.

36 – Animal Crossing: Wild World. I know people generally consider the 3DS version better, but this game played a large part in my recovery when I was a teenager. I wasn't expected to see my next birthday if my health didn't improve FAST, I had to stop going to College, and I couldn't even walk without the aid of a walking stick...and even then it was agony. Wild World was released the week after I had to stop going to College, and it helped me through a time where I often thought about killing myself when my parents weren't home. It's also the only AC game I've played for longer than a month.

35 – Star Ocean: First Departure. Easily one of the best JRPGs on the PSP, and my introduction to the series. I love the characters in this game – Ronyx is THE Kenny, as far as I'm concerned – and building relationships with them felt more meaningful in this one than it did in Second Evolution, which wasn't quite as...grounded, really. Star Ocean games often have difficulty in pacing the story and blending the two elements of low-tech fantasy and futuristic sci-fi, but this game did it the best.

34 – Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. This had something that no other Final Fantasy title has had, with the exception of XII – a grounded and intriguing plot. I have always been captivated and thoroughly impressed by the world of Ivalice, and this was a worthy chapter in its history. The remake added Balthier, too! ...and Cloud I suppose, but who cares about Cloud, right? The music was fantastic, the gameplay was addicting, and the visual style was and remains quite unique. I'd dearly love another instalment in this series.

33 – Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls. Despite this being the odd-one out in the franchise, it's easily my favourite, because it has the most compelling antagonists. The Monokuma Kids are great, and whilst I have certainly played better third-person shooters, I've not played any with as much personality as this one. Given the text heavy, repetitive nature of the main series, it was nice to have this as a refreshing change of pace.

32 – Luminous Arc. This was released during a time in my life when I was very into anime, was just starting to get money of my own that I could actually spend, and when I didn't really know what to do with my DS. The colourful visuals, varied (but oh-so painfully tropey) characters, and simple-yet-fun gameplay was more than enough, and I still have very fond memories of it. It's a shame the second game wasn't as captivating, that we never got the third, and that Stella Glow lacked this game's charm...

31 – God of War III. They pulled out ALL the stops with this game, and my god was it fun. Massacring practically the entire Greek pantheon in various ways was extremely satisfying. The game felt so much better than the previous two, and whilst the narrative did absolutely nothing to give Kratos a personality, the ending was satisfying. If/when they make a God of War set during Ragnarok, I expect and demand this level of carnage. It's really set the bar for violence and wanton slaughter.

30 - Bayonetta 2. Wow. This game took every complaint I had with the first game and threw them out the window, then proceeded to dazzle me with significantly better combat – WITHOUT the awful motorcycle levels, thank god – and a narrative that actually answered the questions from the previous game and made it better. And that soundtrack! This has some of my favourite vocal tracks from video gaming outside of NieR. Bayonetta is amazing when it's not trying to be Devil May Cry.

29 – Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I went INSANE for this, because it was released in the US before the UK. I paid through the nose to get a copy, but it was worth it. This was exactly what I wanted: more Golden Sun. Substantially more. I loved exploring the world, the Psynergy puzzles were satisfying to solve – and I usually loathe puzzles in video games – and the Djinn and summon system remains one of my favourites in video games to this day. After wondering about Felix it was nice to see how the other side was faring, and getting my old party members back later in the game was a dream come true. The cliffhanger ending was infuriating, though...although not half as infuriating as how disgracefully bad Dark Dawn was...

28 – Demon Gaze. This was my first DRPG, and it left me wanting more...unfortunately my second DRPG was Mind = Zero, but I digress. This game had such a wonderful aesthetic, a very likeable character in Fran, and having a Vocaloid (IA) perform the music gave it a really nice touch. I have played other DRPGs since and none of them have left as much of an impression on me as this one did.

27 – Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. This is the best Castlevania game in my opinion. It has the best music, the best level design, the best lead character, and a pretty good plot, all things considered. Symphony of the Night was nothing but a blueprint for this. It plays better now still than what most modern Metroidvania titles do.

26 - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Much as I loved the original Metroid Prime, I felt that Echoes improved upon it significantly. Whilst Dark Samus didn't have quite the same impact the SA-X did in Fusion, battling her was infinitely more satisfying, and her creation was infinitely more detailed and interesting. The Light/Dark World mechanic is one that Nintendo just LOVES to have in its games, but it does provide some great opportunities for environmental puzzles, and Echoes' world felt twice as a big as a result, and it had some pretty interesting locations. Again, this applies only to the Gamecube version.

25 – Resonance of Fate. A game that was released in the shadow of FFXIII and largely forgotten about as a result, it is nonetheless one of my favourite PS3 games, both for its unique battle system, merciless difficulty spikes, and steampunk setting, which was relatively uncommon for the time. The story wasn't much to speak of, but the interaction between the three main characters was great.

24 – Pokémon Platinum. I absolutely love the fourth generation of Pokémon, and Platinum was a fantastic expansion to Diamond and Pearl, focusing on the best Legendary of the three, fixing some annoying tweaks those games had (like the lack of fire-type Pokémon!) and offering a Battle Frontier which was much better than Emerald's for its variety. Platinum was the last Pokémon game that I enjoyed, so perhaps the colours my view of it somewhat, but I DID enjoy it.

23 – Mass Effect 2. Easily the best game of the three, ME2 had improved combat, a better cast – I'm sorry, but if you don't like Mordin Solus after seeing the Scientist Salarian solo, then I don't know what to say – and a more engaging story that made your choices actually matter...especially considering that people started dying if you made the wrong choices. I have more to say about this game, but can it wait? I'm in the middle of some calibrations.

22 – Zettai Hero Project: Absolute Victory Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman. Yes, that is the game's full title. NIS seem to hold the monopoly on humorous anime-style JRPGs, and this is their crowning achievement. It's a love letter to people like me who grew up watching Power Ranges (or Tokatsu, I suppose) and Sailor Moon, and died repeatedly to final bosses when we were younger. As a rogue-like it's Shiren-levels of brutal at times, too. This is one game that is criminally overlooked and is in dire need of the HD Disgaea remake treatment.

21 – The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. I was not a fan of Toon Link when he was first unveiled, although that was primarily because people around me weren't either, and I was a drone with few thoughts of my own at that age. When I actually played Wind Waker though, I loved it, instantly. Where Ocarina of Time didn't really impress me, this game really clicked – the combat was more engaging, the visuals meant that the characters and the world were so much more vibrant and expressive (and this was especially true of the Wii U version) and whilst it was a bit on the easy side, that didn't make it any less enjoyable. I even enjoyed charting the ocean, even if sailing in the Gamecube version was unbearably slow at times. The soundtrack was fantastic, too. Easily my second-favourite 3D Zelda game.

20 – Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I lost 500 hours to this game over about 2 months on the 3DS, then another 200 or so on the Switch in less than a month. It's the only game asides from FFXIV that I have been able to play for longer than 12 hours in a single day. The difference? I LOVE this game. The online multiplayer makes it so engaging, the monster variety is obscene, the hunting styles make it so, SO much more fun than any other Monster Hunter title – seriously, when you can Adept Evade through anything, it's very satisfying, and Aerial style makes mounting so much easier – and the music is top-notch, with most major monsters having their own themes, making their hunts feel special. The additional monsters in Generations Ultimate gave it some additional value, but the main plus for that release was transmog. This is without doubt the definitive Monster Hunter experience.

19 – Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver. This. This is what remakes should be like. This had EVERYTHING I wanted in a Pokémon game. It even came with a Pokéball-shaped pedometer! I have three copies of this game; two of HeartGold and one of SoulSilver, which I imported because I literally couldn't wait for it to be released over here. These games are the best Pokémon has ever been, and likely to be the best they will ever be. It recaptured the excitement the second generation sparked in me when I was a child, and was a magical experience from start to finish...and I don't say that lightly.

18 – Golden Sun. I bought my first Gameboy Advance JUST so I could play this. Whilst The Lost Age had more content, this had a much better story to it, and the dungeons were more interesting to explore, even if they weren't necessarily designed quite as well. The music was also significantly better – Venus Lighthouse is probably my favourite dungeon theme ever. As antagonists, Saturos and Menardi were also surprisingly threatening considering they spent most of the game a few steps ahead of you.

17 – Star Ocean: The Last Hope. You know what? I like this game, and I don't care how unpopular of an opinion that is. The combat is the best free-movement real-time combat I have EVER seen in a video game, period, and as intolerable as some of the characters are, others more than make up for it. It has some nice connections to First Departure in particular, looked absolutely fantastic on the 360 at the time – and doesn't look too bad on PS4 now really – and has a fantastic score that easily rivals any of Sakuraba's other works. Arumat has just about the most badass weapon ever, too. Just saying.

16 – The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. This was the Zelda game that I think everyone wanted when Wind Waker was announced. Whilst its visuals are one of the reasons I was so impressed with it at the time – although god almighty, those kids scared me and they scare me now, they didn't just cross uncanny valley, they set up a house of horrors right in the middle of it, filled with...whatever the hell Oocoo was supposed to be – I find it has a noticeably darker tone than other Zelda titles, which makes it a uniquely interesting experience. It has some of the best dungeons amongst the 3D Zelda games, some of the more bizarre items – the Spinner was weird – and some of the most memorable boss fights. Midna is easily the least annoying sidekick in the series, too.

15 – Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. This is the best Pokémon game, and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. It is the most complete title content-wise – you can recruit EVERYTHING that was available at the time, after all – and it has the best narrative...as nice as Sky's was, Blue's resonated with me much more. It's ridiculously challenging in some places, and most importantly, it has Friend Areas. I loved watching my newly-recruited Pokémon scampering about in environments made just for them! It has a great soundtrack, makes intuitive use of the bottom screen, and all in all it's very well put together, something that you don't see often with Pokémon spinoffs.

14 – NieR Automata. This was a worthy sequel to NieR, and whilst it wasn't as good, the significantly improved combat, as well as the quality of the soundtrack and the usual craziness that comes with playing a Yoko Taro game, are more than enough to earn it a high spot amongst my favourites. It definitely had its moments, and it was nice to play a Yokoverse title that had GOOD controls, for a change.

13 – Assassin's Creed Odyssey. This game floored me with how good it was. For a AAA Ubisoft title. As part of a series that I generally have no interest in because of the awful virtual reality premise that completely breaks the immersion. This game had instances of that, but not many. The rest of the time I was playing as the best female protagonist to come along in YEARS, in one of the most artfully designed open worlds I've ever seen. This was to me what Breath of the Wild has been to so many people. It had a fantastic family-driven storyline that I actually cared about, just as many amusing and well-fleshed out sidequests as it did mindless busywork (collecting bear scrotum for an old woman's husband at her request because she wasn't satisfied with his prowess was as ridiculously entertaining as it sounds) and SO MUCH TO EXPLORE. Sailing was very reminiscent of Gamecube Wind Waker, but with the crew singing Greek sea shanties it made the voyages significantly less painful, and there were plenty of fast travel points. Battling mythological creatures was a definite highlight too. I love everything about this game, and if it weren't for the fact that I sank 92 hours into it I would replay it yearly.

12 – Tales of Symphonia. At one time this was my favourite game of all-time...putting it at #12 is almost physically painful. My first Tales title, I regarded this as the pinnacle of JRPGs for years: with its excellent narrative and character development, engaging battle system, spectacular soundtrack, and expansive world, it was a true marvel for its time...admittedly, it didn't have much competition, but as my first experience with an anime-style JRPG and the Tales series I could not have asked for better. Shame about the sequel.

11 – Dragon Age: Origins. Sometimes simple is best, and Dragon Age's simple plot is one of its charms – the entire game is basically spent building your forces for that final battle against a demonic dragon. But what makes this game so memorable for me is the party banter. This is one of very few games where I was actively motivated to swap out my party members because I wanted to hear what they'd say to each other. Hearing Alistair and Morrigan bitch at each other, Wynne try to preach to Zevran only to wind up talking about her bosom, Leliana try and place peacemaker, and Shale make snarky comments at pretty much everyone, made the journey feel that much more enjoyable; like I was reading a David Eddings book. The combat remains the best of the three – DA2 was basically button mashing, and Inquisition never did strike the right balance between the two – and whilst it looks horrendously dated now, with its expansions – Awakening in particular – there is so much content to it. Easily the best Western RPG I've ever played.

10 – The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. This was my first Zelda title, and remains my favourite. I would spend hours as a child getting lost on Koholint Island, just exploring and trying to find all the secret seashells for the power-up sword, hacking grass for rupees because I didn't want my name changed to “THIEF” if I stole things instead of buying them. When you're 9 years old and have no internet or games magazine to help you navigate, games are hard. This game gave me such an immense feeling of satisfaction when I finally finished it, and perhaps because it was one of the first games I played, I won't forget the experience in a hurry.

9 – Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. Another game I played in 2018 and was shocked by the quality of it. I have never been a huge fan of the Ys series – I enjoyed Memories of Celceta well enough I suppose, but the earlier titles never really captivated me, because Adol just isn't interesting – but this game was something else. Finding the castaways and building a relationship with them to discover their backstory, learning more about Dana and the circumstances surrounding the destruction of her civilisation, and just uncovering every square inch of the map for 100% completion, was extremely addicting. The combat was absolutely brilliant, too. I'm definitely a fan, if the next games are going to be like this one.

8 – Hyrule Warriors. Yep. Take heed, Fire Emblem Warriors, because this is EXACTLY what a crossover Warriors title should look like. The sheer variety in characters was incredible, the maps were taken straight from Zelda games, the music was a brilliant rock album remix of classic Zelda titles, and there was just So. Much. Content. It took me 240 hours to clear the Adventure Mode maps, and I never got bored with it; each one felt like a mini dungeon in and of itself with the item cards they needed, and despite starting life out on the Wii U, it feels just as polished on the Switch. The story mode is nothing to write home about, but who plays Zelda for story? This game NEEDS a sequel, because it's the most fun I've had with Zelda since Twilight Princess.

7 – Baten Kaitos: Neverending Wings and the Lost Ocean. I waited for soooooo long to get my hands on this, because Amazon kept delaying dispatch of the copy I ordered...in the end I bought it in Toys R Us. This game still stands out to me for its card-based battle system, which was surprisingly complex. It was ridiculously difficult at points – the trio still give me nightmares – and the plot was confusing, but I owe this game a lot. I joined my first internet forum because of this game! I would love to play the second, or get this remastered for Switch.

6 – Final Fantasy XII. Of all the numbered Final Fantasy titles, this one easily has the best story, and some of the most complex characters. When you think about it, you're playing as a terrorist organisation. But a game that focuses on the plot rather than the characters – or does not exclude world events for the sake of romance, looking at you, Final Fantasy X - is a nice change for Final Fantasy, and this easily represents the pinnacle of the ATB system, with the game being almost real-time and giving you the ability to effectively set up your own AI. The Zodiac Age only makes it better with the introduction of jobs, adding another layer of strategy. Plus the voice acting is actually really good.

5 – Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited. Much as I loved the gameplay, I really did not like Disgaea 2 or 3. The second game had the worst cast imaginable, and the third had a very unappealing school setting...and on the PS3 at least, an obscene amount of DLC. Then Disgaea 4 happened and I had the sequel I'd wanted since the first game. Delightful political satire, an excellent lead in Valvatorez, surprisingly good character development arcs for all of the main cast – whilst Fuka and Desco never hit the same highs as Etna and Flonne, they still played well off one another – and a fantastic postgame. Disgaea 4 is the pinnacle of the series and the pinnacle of the SRPG genre. I spent 120 hours platting the Vita version and loved every second of it.

4 – NieR. I knew I was going to like this game from the moment I heard Kaine swearing at Weiss in the first trailer. Then I heard Blu Bird on the teaser website and that was it. I had to have this game. Then I heard it was connected to Drakengard and my excitement levels went through the roof...and it didn't disappoint. Emotionally powerful, utterly bizarre, and the greatest soundtrack ever composed for a video game, without contest. That's NieR for you.

3 – Final Fantasy VIII. This is perhaps riding the Number #3 spot on pure nostalgia, but FFVIII is just one of those games that I love that remains fun to play even now. The plot is a train wreck, but it's an anime kind of train wreck, which means you either love it or hate it...and personally, I love it. The cast is entertaining, the music is the best Final Fantasy has ever been – whilst there ARE better tracks in other games, none are this consistently excellent – and then there's Triple Triad, which is good enough to be a game by itself. I've probably spent more time playing Triple Triad than I have the rest of the game! But despite the gameplay bumps, the rigours of time, and the release of games with a better narrative, I find myself coming back to FFVIII time and again, and when I think of my favourite titles, I always reserve a spot for it. It pains me to put it above FFXII when a part of me knows that is the better game, but...well, sentiment can go a long way at times.

2 – Tales of Berseria. Where do I even begin with this game? When I heard this was a prequel to Zestiria, which is one of the worst Tales titles I have ever played – right alongside Vesperia and Abyss – I was initially put off. The “emotion over reason” theme was something that made me very doubtful it would be particularly good either, because that is in direct opposition to my own thought processes: I have always been someone who prefers to think things through logically, and outright suppress emotions wherever I can. I was expecting a bleeding heart, preachy game with a weak-willed female protagonist (like we don't have enough of those in video gaming!) who was basically a Milla Maxwell palette swap in fanservice clothing. I was fully prepared to hate this game, and I put it off for months when it was released to play Horizon: Zero Dawn.

...god, it's so nice to be wrong sometimes. Berseria is a masterpiece in storytelling; an emotion tale about revenge on par with Xenoblade for its character development and story twists. Any one of the party members could easily be seen as an antagonist; indeed, they actively play that role in the game's world. They're utterly detestable, selfish people. But the way they interact with one another is so genuine that it's difficult not to like all of them, and even to sympathise with them. Watching them butt heads is extremely entertaining, and they all get their own personal redemption arcs even as they are swept up in Velvet's quest...well, if you can call killing your opposite “redemption” I suppose. But it's hard not to root for them or see their perspective. This game also does the impossible: it makes Tales of Zestiria better. With a backstory like this, replaying that game with that context makes it seem so much more meaningful.

Apart from that, there is little to set Berseria apart from the rest of the Tales series – same combat, same sort of world, same sounding music. But that story, and those characters, are more than enough. We need more games like this.

1 – Xenoblade Chronicles. I suspect that anyone who saw me post in this topic would know this would be #1, and really, can you blame me? Xenoblade Chronicles is a masterpiece, the perfect blend of engaging storytelling, gameplay, and exploration. The use of foreshadowing in this game to tease you into what is coming whilst simultaneously keeping you in the dark is nothing short of genius, as the visions will lead you into believing things will happen a certain way, only to discover that they are part of a greater event that you could never have predicted...and it keeps this up for over 60 hours. Excluding sidequests. Everything about this game is new and exciting (or was at the time of release) and for me, this did something extremely important: it revitalised my interest in video games, when I was convinced that I'd seen it all.

Xenoblade Chronicles is my new gold standard for JRPGs and for storytelling in video games, and it seems unlikely that it will be surpassed for years to come...not if XC2 is any indicator, anyway. I hesitate to call it the perfect game, because all things could stand to be improved, but really all Xenoblade could benefit from now is a visual enhancement, because you literally could not make it any better than it already is.

Poffin and Wizard like this.
  7. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 47
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,292.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I haven't really played a lot of games myself but there are quite a few that I consider my favorite, although this list might change in the future. Top 8, yas

8. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - Yep, currently this is the only Fire Emblem Fates storyline that I have finished. Birthright is y first game into the Fire Emblem series, and I really enjoyed it! The mechanics were great and reminded me of Pokémon Conquest. The support system really made the game more fun, to be honest, and I really liked Azura's song. The thing I don't like is how they let you go to the next chapter. Seriously, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia's execution on how you engage battles in an overworld map is something I prefer more.

7. Bravely Default - I immediately dropped the game after how repetitive the "cleanse the crystals, go after pillar, go back in time and do it all over again," and never picked it back up. I'm planning to play it again after finishing FE Echoes. Anyway, even though I dropped it, it's still a game that I'd recommend. The characters feel like real people, and the voice acting for all of them was just stellar. Ringabel is also my favorite character in the entire game, not just from a story standpoint, but also because of his voice actor and his personality.

6. Pokémon Conquest - Speaking of Pokémon Conquest, here it is, appearing on my list! The region of Ransei was a fresh, new approach to a new world. Kingdoms were widespread and I enjoyed recruiting all of the characters to my side. Seriously, when I finished my first playthrough of the game, I was disappointed that I didn't get to recruit every ruler of each kingdom, so in my next playthrough I looked up on how to recruit all of them - well, those who were truly recruitable. Anyway, my favorite thing is probably the different character stories. All of them get a chance to shine with stories that appear after defeating the main one.

5. Long Live The Queen - I really enjoyed this game a lot! The fact that you get to level up Elodie's stats and change the way the story goes by how high her stats are, and of course, the choices you make as the to-be-queen, makes the game really fun to play. I also really like the simple interface. The only problem I have with this game is that it is way too short and some scenes could have been done better with illustrations that match whatever the characters in the scene are doing.

4. Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon HeartGold - Yeah I'm gonna put these two together because I love them both at the same level. Sinnoh has always been my favorite Pokémon region because of the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, and Cynthia. I like how the game is quite challenging but has its own easy part at times. HeartGold also makes it here because I'm a huge fan of the fact that the player gets to challenge the Gym Leaders of two different regions, Kanto and Johto.

3. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky - The only Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game to grace this list, Explorers of Sky is currently the first and the only game I cried for - not exaggerating here. The story was so well made and all of the characters were given unique characteristics. I like the "grand master of all things bad" aka the guild and Wigglytuff attacking the team arc and was hilarious. My favorite character is definitely Grovyle and the partner. The way that the partner reminisced about their adventure with the player was what pushed me over the edge and made me cry.

2. Persona 3 Portable - I've always been a fan of the Persona series, but this game definitely takes the cake as my favorite out of all of them. Persona 3 Portable allowed us to choose between playing as a girl or boy, and that's already a huge plus for me. The game is fun to play and the battles were amazing, especially the last boss. Akihiko and Mitsuru, the seniors, remain as my favorite characters from this game, although Chidori comes close.

1. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - Oh dear goodness me, I haven't even finished playing the game yet and I'm already saying that this is definitely my favorite game of all time. Seriously, Alm and Celica are two great characters that it wouldn't be far-fetched if I said that they are my most favorite characters of all time. Saber, Kliff, Lukas, Clair, and the Whitewing sisters are among my favorites too. Like mentioned before, I prefer this game's execution of moving on to the next battle by allowing the player to move through a map. Grinding is also fun since I got all of the DLCs, but I feel like if I didn't have them I'd have already dropped the game by now lol.

8. Rezna

Rezna You'll never see it coming.

Wash
    (Mareep)
    Level 39
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,305.4
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Top 5. Warning: 3/5 are Zelda Titles.
    Number 5: Super Mario 64:
    You may be wandering... Why SM64? Totally not pure nostalgia, nah but this game was great. Speed running, Casual, even hardcore (kinda a nuzlocke but I mean it ain't Pokémon) you name it. Didn't really have a story though. Just like every Mario game except for super Mario sunshine, galaxy 2 (but still not galaxy one, all that did was bring standard Mario to space and bees) and Oddessey.) Cheese alert: This game was fun for everyone, and I enjoyed it as a kid, I enjoy it now.
    Number 4: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
    Why MM3D instead of the original? And if you literally based your entire profile off this game?
    Well
    Because, for the first part: Graphics. Huuuge difference. And, the bank was in South Clock Town, right behind the clock tower. Which made everything so much easier when you teleport to clock town with like 5 seconds before the moon hits and you and literally everyone DIES. Now, for the second part. Majora's Mask actually does have Lore behind it, which I'm not going to explain here because it would take too much time. But I generally enjoyed Majora's Mask (not Skull Kid, the mask itself was a character) and thought Majora's Incarnation (which I shortened to Incarnate; it sounds cooler ok?) looked really cool.

Number 3: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    Yes, I do indeed like this game more than Majora's Mask. Both versions. And yes, I enjoyed it more than A Link to the Past. First of all, the remastered, actually no, reperfected soundtrack after the amazing soundtrack of ALTTP, was a huge factor in this decision. Sanctuary, Lorule Castle (all 4 themes), the Lost Woods, Hyrule Castle, Maimai Cave.
    Even the ones I didn't list (and that's a lot).
    Each one of them is already amazing.

Number 2: Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

That's right! The game that introduced Ike to those who never played Fire Emblem! The game that brought me and my siblings together where we finally didn't fight!
    The game that introduced the most Legendary storyline ever... SUBSPACE EMISSARY!
    But before I get into that... by far, the greatest Soundtrack known to mankind. The map creator! The unlockables, including one and a half minute demos of classic NES and SNES games! The Melee maps being brought over to Brawl! Temple especially had the best song and design, always will be my favorite stage.

Now, for SUBSPACE Emissary! Basically,
    Tabuu was a supernatural entity from a vastly foreign realm who had come upon the World of Trophies. He wished to destroy the World of Trophies and rid it of this universe.

[​IMG]
    Organizing a plan as he goes, he needs something that will help him achieve this goal. He comes upon one of the inhabitants of that world, Mr. Game & Watch, and took notice of the peculiar qualities of his body mass, being a two-dimensional figure in a three-dimensional world. Using these properties he created a nearly infinite amount of Shadow Bugs to form the realm of Subspace, a parallel universe in which he is the embodiment. He needed a place in which to keep himself in obscurity, it's also what helps him absorb the colonies as they're converted into bubbles and dragged into Subspace to build his Great Maze. Since it's a parallel universe and is not visible, with the only way to enter being through a portal (Subspace bomb), he himself is incapable of leaving Subspace, but can still observe and manipulate using his supernatural abilities. Along with Subspace he had also manifested the Subspace army to carry out his plans. He captures Mr. Game & Watch and uses him to produce his Subspace army, with Mr. Game & Watch being oblivious to the whole thing.

[​IMG]
    Tabuu then turns towards Master Hand, the creator of the World of Trophies. He captures Master Hand by surprise with the chains of light and pulls him into Subspace, giving Tabuu a puppet to command his current army.

[​IMG]
    Tabuu then turns towards the Isle of Ancients, a floating island of advanced technology, where it's inhabitants consists of R.O.B's who are lead by a single Master Robot. Tabuu needs the island's technology to produce weapons capable of cutting the world apart, so he uses his army to take the entire island hostage. The Master Robot surrenders and allows this to happen, and in order to avoid genocide should they refuse, disguises himself as the Ancient Minister out of shame for letting it happen.

[​IMG]
    Tabuu then captures a Pikachu, intended to use its powers of electricity as a power supply for the isle.

[​IMG]
    Tabuu attacks the Halberd in order to seek a transport ship for his army. Meta Knight attempts to stave off the attack, but he is intercepted by King Dedede who decided to attack at a similar time (Snake also sneaks on the Halberd somewhere around or after this point in an attempt to investigate, eventually going on to work with the other Smashers). Meta Knight loses and suddenly vanishes, while Dedede learns of Tabuu and his most devastating attack called the Off Waves, which reverts Smashers back into trophies instantly. Dedede realizes Tabuu is capable of reverting all of the Smashers into trophies at once, with no one to revive them, and no one to stop Tabuu.

[​IMG]
    With this in mind, King Dedede begins working on an item that can revive a trophy on a timer, without needing a helpers contact.

[​IMG]
    Tabuu then sets out to enlist the help of specific Smashers to his cause, using Master Hand as a cover. He focuses on characters who generally dislike the others, giving him three accomplices willing to help "Master Hand's plan". So he uses Master Hand to take up the help of Bowser, Wario, and Ganondorf, whose objectives are to locate and surppress anyone that gets in the way of his plans. He gives them Dark Cannons, a newly created weapon which allows the user to turn any Smasher into a trophy with one shot. The three split up and carry out their jobs in their own ways, with Ganondorf remaining hidden in an undisclosed location, acting as a general to Master Hand, waiting to soon overthrow him and take command himself. Bowser assembles his Koopa Troop to search for opponents; he's loyal to Master Hand but doesn't care that Ganondorf is higher than him in rank. Wario sets off on his own doing whatever he wants, treating his job as a low priority and not caring at all.

[​IMG]
    Now Tabuu's plan is complete, he has Subspace Bombs developed by the Isle of Ancients to cut the world apart. A Subspace army made of expandable Shadow Bugs to escort the bombs and clear out any opposition. The Halberd to transport the army. And Smasher allies equipped with Dark Cannons should more intelligent force be necessary. And the Subspace Gunship which is under development and construction within Subspace, once complete, will supersede Subspace Bombs and render the operation unstoppable.

Story

Bowser, Wario, Ganondorf, the Subspace army, Ancient Minister & the R.O.B.s, and a few other bosses intercept multiple Smashers in various locations. Causing them to run into each other and come together, trying to learn more and more about the situation as they go along, working together to try and stop it.

[​IMG]
    Fast forward in the story, King Dedede has realized that the enemy (Bowser and Wario) are collecting trophies of defeated Smashers and taking them away so they can't be revived. Dedede then decides to keep his own collection, which he plans to keep safe with his brooches. Later he is intercepted by Mario, Link, Kirby, Yoshi, and Pit who believe he's also collecting trophies so they cannot be revived. He manages to escape with Luigi, Zelda/Peach, and Ness.

[​IMG]
    Eventually Ganondorf becomes aware that Dedede is planning and hoarding trophies, so he transmits this info to Bowser to ambush the castle. Bowser and his Koopa Troop attack the castle, the ceiling caving in, a huge piece knocking Dedede out who soon becomes a trophy. Dedede, Ness, and Luigi are covered by rubble, leaving Bowser to only spot Zelda/Peach to take. The Ancient Minister later arrives and detonates a Subspace Bomb that engulfs Dedede's castle.

[​IMG]
    Fast forward again, and the Subspace Gunship is complete, emerging from where the Isle of Ancients used to be. It fires a shot of its main canon into the distance (an area where Sonic resides, sucking him into Subspace), rendering a random area into a Subspace detonation. At this point all the Smashers have teamed up, and the Halberd is seen approaching from the distance. Knowing the ship has been taken over by other Smashers, the Gunship fires at the Halberd which is destroyed very easily. The Falcon Flyer, Samus's gunship, Fox's Arwing, and the Hocotate Ship fly out of the wreckage and continue advancing. The Subspace Gunship fires but none of them can land a hit on the smaller craft. Kirby then arrives riding the Dragoon from another direction, and flies directly through the Gunship's cannon, meaning the Halberd and other ships were a diversion. The entire Gunship explodes, leaving Bowser and Ganondorf to retreat back to Subspace.

[​IMG]
    Now all of the Smashers have entered Subspace and progress through, trying to find out a way to end this. Ganondorf overthrows Bowser at this point and meets up with Master Hand. It's revealed to Ganondorf that Master Hand is being controlled by Tabuu with the chains of light. Upset that he's been fooled this whole time, attempts to attack Tabuu, but his offensive is easily blocked, being flung back, knocking into Master Hand and freeing him, but also being transformed into a trophy. Now free, Master Hand attempts to attack Tabuu but also fails to accomplish anything, being knocked back by Tabuu and rendered unconscious.

[​IMG]
    At this point the other Smashers arrive and realize what's going on. Tabuu then releases his Off Waves and reverts all of them back to their lifeless trophy forms. With no more Smashers around, Tabuu begins assembling The Great Maze out of the Colonies created by the Subspace Bombs, and fills it with remnants of the Subspace army plus subspacial clones of the Smashers and the bosses they previously defeated along the way.

[​IMG]
    Back in Dedede's castle, the brooches activate, reviving Luigi and Ness. The two connect the badges with Dedede's trophy and deduce that it's the source of their revival, so they revive him in return. King Dedede, Ness, and Luigi then begin crossing Subspace towards the Great Maze, reviving Smashers along the way. Kirby is revived after eating one of Dedede's brooches earlier in the story and sets out across Subspace to revive the rest of the Smashers Dedede's group hadn't come across. The previous enemies have also decided to join the Smashers in order to get revenge on Tabuu as well. After a lengthy and combat-filled trek, they all reach the center and break all the seals guarding the final door to Tabuu's residence.

[​IMG]
    Tabuu attempts to use another set of Off Waves against them, but Sonic appears and damages Tabuu's wings, making the attack unable to knock out the entire group at once. Thus, Tabuu faces three dozen Smashers in the final battle, and is ultimately defeated. All the colonies are restored into their rightful positions in the real world, with Subspace detonations being sealed off. Although the amount of Subspace Bombs simultaneously detonated on the Isle of Ancients has ruined it's ability to return to real space. It's claimed to be destroyed forever, instead a giant "X" of light lies in its place. The Smashers manage to escape back to their world, and all is at peace.

And that's the entire summary of SUBSPACE Emissary... well, that's just a short version.

Number 1: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    (No details, that game is so great it explains itself)

9. Galois

Galois Bug Catcher

Bartók
    (Vivillon (Garden))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽261.2
    bit too tired atm to give detailed explanations
    7. Life is Strange
    this was fun

6. Bioshock
    outside of the lovely atmosphere, I studied Ayn Rand (who Andrew Ryan was based off of) in my high school philosophy class, so this was interesting in many respects

5. Alan Wake
    loved the atmosphere

4. Fallout: New Vegas
    WOW. also very nostalgic for me

3. Starcraft 2
    primarily out of nostalgia

2. Bioshock: Infinite
    I adored just about everything in this game

1. Firewatch
    the only video game that ever felt relevant to my real life

honorable mention to Pokémon Diamond, which didn't make the list because it was frustrating as hell to play through

#9 Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  10. Neb

Neb Prismatic Cosmog

Spore Boi
    (Shroomish)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽101.4
    The period when I got really into gaming should be obvious based on the release dates for a lot of these games.
    24. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - As polarizing as this game is, I'll always have a special place for it. This was the first game to capture me on a narrative level. Even if the pacing was atrocious, the major story moments made it worthwhile.

23. Yakuza 0 - The music was what got me interested in the series, and I heard this was the best entry to start with. The detailed over-world and entertaining story kept me hooked until the end

22. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - My least favorite entry in my favorite trilogy of all time. The reason I liked this one the least was because of an overly convoluted puzzle towards the end. Otherwise, it's fantastic in every way.

21. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma - What a great way to end the trilogy. It wraps up every story detail with gusto, and refines the escape the room gameplay to perfection.

20. 999 : Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors - I liked this Zero Escape the most for having the best atmosphere. You really feel like you're stuck on the same sinking cruise ship as the rest of the cast.

19. Pokémon Black - The first Pokémon game to really hook me. I adored the new Pokémon and story. It wasn't as great as I remember, but I still look back on it fondly.

18. Undertale - I remember beating this game before there were any guides or large Let's Plays for this game. Thanks to that, I was able to enjoy the unpredictable story with no spoilers. If I was spoiled, I doubt it would be this high. It's still a great indie RPG, I just don't think it has the same emotional impact if you play it knowing spoilers.

17. Minecraft - Survival mode doesn't do anything for me, but I could spend forever on creative mode. I have countless memories of building things just for the fun of it. If only I hadn't broken the original PC I played it on.

16. Starbound - Before I knew what open world games were, this was the first thing I thought of when "time-sinkers" came up. So many hours have been spent just exploring a galaxy and discovering things. I will wait until the day I die for a console release.

15. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - This was my first open world game, and boy did it leave an impression. Hyrule was full of so many things to see in this game. Even after 230 hours of playing, I still haven't found everything.

14. Super Scribblenauts - Nostalgia at it's finest. The Scribblenauts series is a collection of incredibly unpolished games, but the process of solving puzzles by thinking of objects is something I'll never outgrow. This entry is my favorite for it's music and better mechanics over the first game.

13. Pokémon Heartgold - My first Pokémon game and RPG (turn based or otherwise). While I liked Black version more for a while, I've gained an appreciation for this childhood favorite. A great maingame, a postgame with actual effort put into it, and an extremely fun pedometer they didn't have to include. When I think of Pokémon games to start with, this is still my first recommendation.

12. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - On the subject of "firsts," this is the first home console game I ever owned. The colorful environments enticed my space obsessed imagination.

11. Super Mario Odyssey - The most fun I've had with a Mario game since Galaxy 2. It took everything that made the older 3D Mario games work, and polished it to perfection.

10. Animal Crossing New Leaf - My town is four years old as of Valentines Day and I have no plans of it going anywhere.

9. Elite Beat Agents - The game that got me hooked on rhythm games, and the motivation I needed to get back into music. I have never seen so much appreciation for American culture come from a Japanese studio.

8. Cytus 2 - I have spent so much time on this game that I can safely say I can play just about anything on the hardest difficulty. There isn't another game I am that confident in my skills with.

7. Pokémon White 2 - Every positive thing I said about Pokémon Heartgold and Black applies here. I am still waiting for Gamefreak to outdo this game.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64 version) - This game managed to suck me into it's world even with the incredibly dated graphics. I love the sense of progression and tension that the 3 day cycle gives you.

5. Gyakuten Kenji 2 (Ace Attorney Investigations 2) - Why the best game in the Ace Attorney series never made it outisde Japan is beyond me. They managed to flesh out Edgeworth even more, introduce a great new cast of characters, and compose a soundtrack that pushes the DS to it's limits.

4. Earthbound - These next three entries will show I am a massive sucker for JRPGS with modern settings. Earthbound combines endearing humor with a simplistic, but fun battle system. There's a reason why so many indie games are inspired by this title.

3. Persona 5: The game that convinced me to buy a Sony console. For ten months, I was engrossed by this game. The music, battle system, characters, and story came together so perfectly.

2. Persona 4 Golden - Everything I loved about 5 was here in a portable, replayable package. With all of the difficulty options and optional social links, you could spend hundreds of hours on this game alone.

1. Shovel Knight - The story of several former Wayforward employees being able to make the game of their dreams is one of the most inspirational stories I've heard from the game industry. Every bit of this game had tons of love put into it. The controls, the level design, the beautiful music, the optional modes, not one aspect was overlooked. As soon as I finished the main story for the first time, I knew I had finished something special.

11. DoctorAlakazam

First Try :]
    (Chansey)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽291.1
    Helix Fossil ★★★
    1. Crash Bandicoot 2
    2. Dead Rising 3
    3. Sunset Overdrive
    4. Bioshock Infinite
    5. Star Wars BattleFront 2 (PS2)
    6. A Hat in Time
    7. Dead Island
    8. Telltales The Walking Dead
    9. Spongebob Battle For Bikini Bottom
    10. Grand Thief Auto Vice City

12. Richard and Blaziken

Raven
    (Torchic)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10.4
    Limited it to top 5 and one per series to keep myself from spending all day writing!

5. Shantae & the Pirate's Curse - Shantae is a series I absolutely love, especially with how each game follows the continuity of the previous game. Pirate's Curse takes a huge risk in ditching Shantae's signature abilities - in keeping with the events of the game prior - and introducing entirely new power-ups in the pirate gear. If I'm honest, the Pirate Gear is more fun to me than the Genie transformations, but I'm glad they return in Half-Genie Hero.

4. Smash Bros. (series) - I love Smash Bros. way too much. I put several thousands of hours into Smash 4, and hundreds into 64, Melee, Brawl, and over 600 into Ultimate already. Smash is very special, and I love how much of a celebration of gaming it has become. I main Greninja, and would love to play with anyone here!

3. Shovel Knight - Pure platforming perfection, and it just keeps getting better with updates. Really hope Yacht Club's future projects go well.

2. Pokémon Emerald - My favorite Pokémon game for myriad reasons. Hoenn, Blaziken, Aqua vs. Magma, Groudon vs. Kyogre, Battle Frontier... just the pinnacle of Pokémon as far as I'm concerned.

1. Ocarina of Time 3D - The definitive version of a game I fell in love with two decades ago. Ocarina isn't perfect, but the impact it had on my life cannot be understated.

13. Chron

Chron Memegeist Guardian

SS Egg 1
    (Meloetta Egg (Infected))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽12.8
    Not sure what dead thread policies are but hey, what could possibly go wrong

I'm not sure if these are gonna be in any particular order, but here we go:

1. My favorite overall Pokémon game, Black and White. Yeah, B2W2 improve on a lot of things but Plasma ain't nearly as cool as pirates and the growth of Bianca and Cheren is unparalleled to me. I just really frickin love Unova so much it does everything right with the mons, the region, the characters, the story, yada yada

2. Minecraft. My second biggest timesink outside of Pokémon, I've spent years of my life on various servers with various people, and have met many awesome people through the game that I still talk to today. There's just limitless shit you can do and it feels so good and it can be really beautiful and man I love this game, these descriptions are not coming out so hot

3. Mario Kart is my third biggest timesink of a series, and if I had to pick a favorite: Yeah, Mario Kart Wii. The most nostalgic MK game for me, and also my most played, it just does everything right. The courses (except Wario's Gold Mine) are awesome, the controls are smooth and tight, and it's easy enough that my family enjoys playing it with me. Not to mention my best friend was once a "prominent" MKW hacker and we did some cool stuff together. Even before he was a hacker I just remember calling him and playing MKW for hours online together, man it was the best. MKW8D is the technical best, though, nostalgia aside.

4. All of the 3D Mario games are incredible (although I personally despise Sunshine), and picking just one is hard. I'm gonna put Super Mario Galaxy 2 because while I think Super Mario 64 is objectively one of the greatest games of all time, I spent the most time playing SMG2 over and over again, and man am I a sucker for tight controls and engaging gameplay. It just improves on the first in every area I care about, because the Rosalina story didn't mean that much to me and for whatever reason my parents would always walk in on me during the cutscenes and I felt awkward about being so attracted to her and well SMG2 had big purple star man

5. Stardew Valley. My most played Steam game, this game should not be allowed to be so chill and fun and give me an actual sense of pride and accomplishment. I thoroughly enjoy farming and mining and marrying Haley, the annoying blonde that reminded me of my high school rival/crush that I'm not entirely over

6. I feel like I have to put Ori and the Blind Forest and Hollow Knight in the same spot because they both fill the same niche for me in their own way. While Ori feels like an artfully crafted piece of video game cinema that leaves you breathless with its art style, soundtrack, flow of gameplay, and pacing, Hollow Knight is more of a lorebook that you spend hours diving into, analyzing each little morsel to piece together this fallen kingdom. And also the combat feels great and the characters are wonderful to meet. Just being a tiny creature in a massive, unforgiving world is so cool to me, and Metroidvanias are so dang fun.

7. However, my all time favorite story from a video game has to be Tales of Berseria. The only real jRPG I've played because I don't have the patience for turn-based anything anymore, no adventure has rocked my core like this game. It takes so many tropes about grey morality and turns them on their head, all while presenting a wonderfully dynamic cast of characters that are amazingly fleshed-out and real. I laughed, I cried, I yelled at the monitor, I smiled contentedly, and SMHed repeatedly. Also kicking things really fast is fun and the protagonist is dummy hot

8. This is getting harder. I've played so many good games but I need to go to sleep, so if I were to keep continuing this list I'd probably include Super Paper Mario (yes I've played the other two before it, and while the gameplay is better the stories pale in comparison), a PMD game (idk which one, I'm admittedly a sucker for GtI), and Subnautica, because it's underwater Minecraft and the only kind of horror game I can genuinely appreciate.

14. Wizard

Wizard Two Crests

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 58
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,117.9
    There are some major updates I'd like to add to this list, so here we go!! Xenoblade 2 has exited the chat and I will talk about how it's one of my least favorite games ever in the future. August 18th Edit: Fire Emblem Three Houses has been added.

30. Tetris 99 - I have finally achieved first place in this game. As such, I am now a retired Tetris 99 player, after about 360 rounds. It was a fun time, but I have quit while I'm ahead!

29. Wargroove - This is a nice indie title that I picked up not too long ago. It's a nice spiritual successor to Advance Wars, and I am loving the vibes so far. I still need to play a bit more to truly get a feel for it, but it's a solid game that I can't wait to beat!

28. Civilization IV - My favorite take on this fantastic franchise, Civilization IV combined many of my favorite features, streamlined them, and made the series as fun as it has ever been. Solid series, but I haven't played the games as much as I'd like to lately, leaving this game to be so low on my list.

27. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - After recently replaying through Fates, I have determined that Conquest is still king. If you can ignore that many, many stupid parts of the story and characters, there is a solid strategy RPG hiding underneath. The maps really made me think, consider my options, and brought a ton of fun. Plus, the soundtrack is still good, you can't really go too wrong there.

27. Call of Duty: World at War - I know, I know, Call of Duty is lame... not really. I actually have a good amount of fun with these games, but only with friends. World at War has a fun campaign where I've had WAY too much fun in the past. Probably my favorite installment in the franchise, despite being technically less impressive than its successors.

26. Crash Bandicoot: Warped - Despite the horrendous camera angles, this platformer is one of the defining games of my childhood. After playing the N'Sane Trilogy, I was surprised to remember almost every single level, despite not touching the game in years. Crash games have so much personality, which really brings it up.

25. Pokémon Black/White 2 - This is still the only Pokémon game on my list. This series has not grown on me at all over the last several months, and I might just be done with the series in the not too distant future. However, Black/White 2 stands as the pinnacle of the series to me, especially on the gameplay side.

24. Donkey Kong Country 2 - One of the most timeless games ever created. The graphics, unlike many other games from the time period, are actually quite nice, even to this day. The gameplay is difficult, unforgiving, and SO GOOD. Not my favorite platformer, but it is definitely deserving of being in my top 25. Also, another example of a soundtrack done correctly.

23. Bravely Default - My journey into the realm of JRPG's really kicked off with Bravely Default. Despite having major tropes and typical themes, the combat stands out beautifully. The "brave" and the "default" options really opened up my brain to the possibilities of turn based combat.

22. Animal Crossing: New Leaf - This game took a bigger fall than almost every other game. This is because I haven't touched this game since I got my Switch back, and I realized my previous opinion of it was largely in the moment. This game is fun, and I can't go wrong with it, but it's just not THAT great to me. Easily a must-have on the 3ds though, and I can totally understand anybody who calls this their favorite game. Animal Crossing has this nice, calm feeling about it that I just absolutely love.

21. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - It pains me to put this game so low on this list. Some of the moments in the story were easily among my favorites in gaming. So, what gives? That answer is simple, yet painful: DLC. Fire Emblem has never been the most generous with DLC, but in this game, leveling up takes way too much time without it. I've never bought it, because I'm a cheapo college student and don't want it. I'm not opposed to spending a couple bucks for this, but $8 for the ability to level up faster? No thank you. A great game with squandered execution. Also, Celica is a dumb-dumb. But I like her closest allies so whatever.

20. Splatoon/Splatoon 2 - These games are so similar, I feel that I cannot put them in separate slots. This series has proven to be incredibly fun and creative, and is one of my favorite shooter series to date. The amount of fun you can have from picking up and playing a round once in a while is incredibly fun. I can't recommend this series enough to anybody looking for a fun online multiplayer experience.

19. Kirby Air Ride - This game is an underappreciated gem. Despite a lack of content, I love this game. City Trial is one of the best video game memories of my childhood, and the concept is still fun to me to this day. A great time to have with friends once in a great while.

18. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - While I absolutely loved playing through this game and riding on my motorcycle, my thoughts towards Breath of the Wild will likely always be something akin to "so close to perfection." The experimentation and exploration were fantastic, and I was fully satisfied. However, the plot was kind of lackluster, and the DLC did not do much to build on that. This game is still a masterpiece and I consider it to be an essential part of the Switch/WiiU libraries. I just wanted a bit more from it in certain areas, including a heavier soundtrack and a better plot.

17. Horizon Zero Dawn - This was the first PS4 game I picked up, and I have no regrets. Actually, change that: I regret playing on hard mode because golly I hate how much health some of these creatures have. Putting it just above Breath of the Wild seems fitting, considering how I view the two games. Horizon Zero Dawn is perhaps one of the most creative, if not the most creative take on the open world genre. The world is nothing short of gorgeous, Aloy is a great protagonist, and the machines are extremely creative and detailed. The DLC also does a great job of building on the world. This, paired along with some punishing difficulty makes for a fantastic experience. The reason this game isn't higher is because I just like these other games more. Easily one of the PS4's best games.

16. Star Wars Battlefront II (2005) - Goodness, it pains me to put this game down this low. What a classic! What a fun time! Despite the stupid AI, this game has a ton of fun to it, and seems to never get old. Do yourself a favor and dip your toes into one of the best shooters ever made.

15. Super Mario World - My favorite SNES game. I have played through this game so many times, I have lost track. To this day, it is still my personal favorite in side-scrolling platformers. I will probably play this game until the end of my life, assuming Nintendo isn't DUMB WITH THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE.

14. Kid Icarus: Uprising - I feel like I didn't do this game justice on my previous list either. The biggest complaint I've heard about this game are the controls, and I had zero issues with that. This game is fun, hilarious, and an amazing modern take on the Kid Icarus series. I can't wait for Smash Bros Ultimate to be done with DLC because that means there is a chance we get another Kid Icarus game in the future. An easy must-have on the 3ds.

13. Mario Kart Wii - The more I thought about it, the more I realized how great this game is. Unlike the general population, I was INCREDIBLY disappointed with Mario Kart 8. The system of unlocking characters, the hidden stats, and the great variety of stages really stand out to me. Above all else, this is a great multiplayer game, and even a single player time waster.

12. Advance Wars - I totally forgot about this game when making my initial list. This is easily my favorite game on the Game Boy Advance, and my second favorite strategy RPG. Advance Wars is a simple, yet fun take on the genre, featuring leaders and characters that I will likely never forget. There is an absurd amount of content for a GBA game, with the map creator being my favorite, let alone the two different campaigns and variety of other challenges. This is a staple in strategy RPG's and formerly my favorite game. There's just too many good games out there for me to put it higher these days.

11. Star Wars Battlefront (2015) - This will always be an odd one out among my favorite games. I adore this game's online multiplayer and the many quirks it has. Battlefront seems to never get old, and is a game I will likely always enjoy (at least until the online dies RIP).

10. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Ocarina of Time is the pinnacle of the N64 for me. Many people may love Super Mario 64 and other games, but this one has aged so well to me, I'm still impressed (this and star fox 64). This game is still fun, still memorable, still charming, and still a near-perfect experience to me. If you haven't played this game, please please play it.

9. Spider-Man PS4 (2018) - I've never completed a game so quickly and with such gusto. Spider-Man PS4 is a dream game that I've wanted since I was a young kid. While other Spider-Man games have been made, this one is truly gorgeous and reflects the true charm of the series. There is a good look at Spider-Man's gallery of villains, some fun side quests, and combat that is satisfying on both a basic and advanced level. Granted, this game got a little repetitive to complete, but the experience was worth it. Plus, it has one of the best Spider-Man plots to date. Fabulous game, and a must-have on the Playstation 4.

8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - In my opinion, Skyrim is the defining game of the 2010's. Ever since it came out in 2011, it has had a consistent community, with the amount of mods growing to an impressively high amount. Anybody who has fallen into the Skyrim trap will attest to how much there is to do, and how you can make the adventure yours. Despite being super buggy and glitchy, this is a masterpiece, and worthy of being in everybody's game library. No matter what platform you play it on, Skyrim is sure to give you a sweet taste of exploration and the open world genre.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD - My favorite Zelda game. I played through the HD version on the WiiU not too long ago. This game took no time at all to impress me with unique yet beautiful art style, the SAILING, the secrets, and some of the greatest charm I've ever seen in a game. From Link's facial expressions to quirky sidequests, this game is a personal classic that keeps drawing me back in. The HD version also improves the lighting and sailing speed, so I recommend this version to anybody who wants to play this gem.

6. Fire Emblem: Awakening - I'm going to re-evaluate Fire Emblem: Awakening since I don't believe I did it proper justice. There is a reason this game saved the Fire Emblem franchise: it's super fun, memorable, and replayable. While I haven't finished the game lately, I still adore the characters, have a fun time with the plot, and remember the maps with a certain fondness. This game is still my favorite Fire Emblem game, and will be my personal pinnacle of the series until further notice.

5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses- Although I normally make judgement calls too quickly on how much I like a game, I can safely call this my favorite Fire Emblem title. It has re-defined the franchise and greatly improved on the previous several entries, totally outshadowing them in terms of gameplay. While I do have a handful of problems with this game, I still have had an amazing time, being halfway done with my second time through. I consider this one of the elite titles on the Switch, and a must-have for strategy fans.

4. Super Mario Odyssey - I've never been much of a completionist. I'm fine with letting collectibles slide. Yet, Super Mario Odyssey just simply makes me want to do those things! This game encapsulates joy and wonder more than any other game I have ever played. Mario has never felt so smooth, the world have never popped so much, and the fun has never been so endless. Exploring the hundreds and hundreds of moons, purple coins, and worlds has been a joy unmatched by any other game. The Darker Side is one of my favorite final levels in gaming, and beating it was SO satisfying. After playing through the story part, I felt I had wasted $40 on the game. However, I feel this game really begins after the story. I encourage all Switch owners to get this game. This is my favorite platformer, and I would be impressed if it doesn't hold that title for many years to come. Super Mario Odyssey took everything good about Mario, and made it better. Also, New Donk City is my favorite place in any game. Who would've thought: Mario exploring a city populated with real humans? Great execution on a great idea.

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Okay, I realized it wasn't fair to not put Smash Bros. Ultimate this high. I have about 400 hours into this game already, which means that there will be several thousand more to come, surely. Ultimate truly is the pinnacle of the series, and I couldn't be much happier with it. It's Smash Bros, what else do I need to say?

2. Persona 5 - Oh man, this game is special. It takes so many elements of a standard JRPG and combines them into one, incredible experience. Yes, the tropes are here. Yes, the dungeon grinding can be miserable. However, this game is the essence of fun for me. I've spent about 120 hours between two files, and I have no regrets. The characters are fun, the soundtrack is amazing, and it is the most visually pleasing game I have ever played. This is one of those killer titles that are worth buying a console for. If you like JRPG's, Japanese culture, good characters, or even just good games, Persona 5 is something you should look into.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles - It's no secret that I love this game. Xenoblade Chronicles is an incredible experience for those who put the time in. An amazing story, even better characters, deep combat, an amazing soundtrack, a beautiful world, tear-jerking moments, well-done plot twists, great voice acting, and so much more leads to a one-of-a-kind experience. If you have a *New* Nintendo 3ds and you don't have this game, let me quote the great Reggie Fils-Aime and say, "What's wrong with you?" This game truly is a treat that I can't fully describe. Go enjoy this great adventure, you won't regret it (if you do, you did something wrong. Either that, or you have an opinion).

15. TalkingToMazelf

Smugleaf
    (Snivy)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    Great Ball ★★
    Oh, a section for me to gloat about my favourite games? Don't mind if I do!

5. Undertale
    A rather odd inclusion for a Top 5 game, but after I've recently played the game, I do consider this a really unique take on the RPG formula. With the ability to either kill or spare the monsters, your decisions can lead you to a different outcome.

4. Shovel Knight
    Another indie game to list, Shovel Knight is by far my favourite of the bunch. As a love-letter to retro games, Shovel Knight really nails the retro-style platformer, with its tight controls and solid 8-bit art style.

3. Saints Row The Third
    While it seems to be a copy of Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row The Third is a more chaotic and hilarious take on the open-world crime games. Its writing, characters, missions and story really makes for a chaotic laugh-out-loud game centering on a group of criminals gradually controlling a city.

2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    Without a doubt, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate earned the "ultimate" title. It's an incredibly ambitious game with its massive roster that brought back every characters in the franchise's history, and brought in highly requested newcomers like Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie, and it delivered on every aspect as a king of the hill fighting game.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    I'm unashamed to admit that this is my favourite game of all time. I don't think there's such thing as a perfect game, but this is as close to perfect as I can think of. With its massive open world land of Skyrim, the many rich stories and characters, and highly customizable RPG elements for the Dragonborn, I consider this a masterpiece for open world RPG games.