1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

[Rate My Team] VGC'14 Team

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by sohrob101, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sohrob101

sohrob101 Destiny Draw!

PokéPoints:
    ₽80.7
    So after much forum ratings from different forum decided to ask this forum for some help on my current VGC Team. Thus far this team has gotten me higher in the VGC'14 ladder on showdown than any team i have used before. I want to know if there should be any specific move set changes or other things i could either improve or fix.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry​
    Ability: Levitate​
    EVs: 244 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 8 Spe​
    Calm Nature​
    - Thunderbolt​
    - Hydro Pump​
    - Will-O-Wisp​
    - Protect​
    Amoonguss @ Black Sludge​
    Ability: Effect Spore​
    EVs: 76 HP / 180 Def / 252 SpD​
    Calm Nature​
    - Spore​
    - Rage Powder​
    - Giga Drain​
    - Protect​
    Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy​
    Ability: Sand Stream​
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe​
    Jolly Nature​
    - Dragon Dance​
    - Rock Slide​
    - Crunch​
    - Protect​
    Zoroark @ Choice Specs​
    Ability: Illusion​
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe​
    Timid Nature​
    - Night Daze​
    - Flamethrower​
    - Focus Blast​
    - Grass Knot​
    Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf​
    Ability: Trace​
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe​
    Timid Nature​
    - Thunderbolt​
    - Dazzling Gleam​
    - Psychic​
    - Focus Blast​
    Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y​
    Ability: Drought​
    EVs: 60 Def / 188 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe​
    Timid Nature​
    - Focus Blast​
    - Solar Beam​
    - Heat Wave​
    - Protect​
    Rotom is Rotom, it's meant to there for will-o-wisp support, and its typing helps against many Pokémon. I gave Rotom-W 8 Ev's in speed only so it can be faster than other Rotoms, just so I can avoid speed ties.

Amoongus is in sort of the same boat as Rotom-W. It's there for support, but the combo I usually use with Amoongus is rage powder Tyranitar. Basically If the setup and field is not situational, i will usually rage powder with Amoongus, then dragon dance with Tyranitar, allowing Tyranitar to either sweep, or cause a lot of damage. Weakness policy helps me not only eat up weak water or ice moves, but gain even more power than it already has.

Tyranitar is meant to be a heavy hitter, and it shows in his moveset. Set-up with dragon dance, then go for either a stab rock or dark move. Again that weakness policy to just add more salt to the opponents wound.

Zoroark, the sheer trolling of this Pokémon is golden. I cannot imagine not having Zoroark on this team and for many good reasons. It most of the time throws off my opponent, is fast enough to get rid of many big threats, and it has a devastating exclusive dark move. Another good thing is no one expects Zoroark, or expect it to do much. I have had games where Zoroark was capable of sweeping and still stay under it's illusion ability. If the Pokémon choice is right, Zoroark can be just a monster!

Gardevoir that is choiced?! What is this sorcery. Well maybe it isn't anything really new, and I wouldn't know for sure. But Choiced Gardevoir believe it or not, works very well. At first I wanted a dragon killer and kept looking at ice types. Every ice type kept failing me though, and then i realized, Fairy types exist (lol). Gardevoir worked at first, but it deemed too slow. I thought to myself, a Choiced Gardevoir, not only is faster, but can hit pretty hard on anything weak to fairy. Plus i don't need to worry about Follow Me or Rage Powder Pokémon when using Dazzling Gleam. Also the ability trace can help me protect Charizard if i'm up against an electric type and i trace lightning rod

Finally Mega-Charizard Y, The only mega on my team that helps against Rotom Washes, Mawiles, Tyranitars, Aeglashes(Sorry if spelled wrong), and (some)Water types. Overall its pretty average, but it works as long as i don't run into Garchomps, or threatening electric types.

Now you might ask, Why so much focus blast. Answer to that is: Kangaskhan :)
    Anyways what do you think of my team?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Northwind's Call

PokéPoints:
    ₽91.5
    Due to the way that EV's work at level fifty, you're only getting one stat point for your first four and another point for every eight after that.

Rotom-Wash's EV spread is wasting 4 EV's in Speed. Investing them in Defense gives you an extra point there. Most Rotom-W run more than 4 speed, by the way, thought they vary widely depending on their purpose.

Effect Spore on Amoonguss is a fairly unreliable ability compared to Regenerator, as you will occasionally poison or paralyze things you meant to Spore, but it depends on your battling style.

Zoroark is a subpar Pokémon, due to its incredible frailness, but it's your choice.

Focus Blast on Gardevoir is a poor choice. I strongly recommend that you run Moonblast over this for stronger Fairy single-target STAB.

I strongly recommend running Overheat on Mega Charizard over Focus Blast. It still KO's Mega Kangaskhan if you don't like it, with a lower chance of missing and better single-target burst. You are also wasting 4 EV's here.

Overall, it would appear that your team is very weak to goodstuffs teams, Rain teams, Tailwind teams, and Trick Room teams, relying on going fast without priority. I strongly recommend running Talonflame over Zoroark as a more reliable fast damage dealer, capable of shutting down Trick Room with Taunt, Ludicolo with priority Brave Bird, and outspeeding Tailwind-reliant teams with Brave Bird as well. You may be interested in tools like Pokémon Showdown's damage calculator, pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/ . I think using Zoroark is an interesting choice, and I can admire that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sohrob101

sohrob101 Destiny Draw!

PokéPoints:
    ₽80.7
    So i tried out Talonflame over Zoroark, and even tried it by replacing Charizard with Talonflame. The results weren't that good. It seems, since Talonflame is so common, it's more predictable. I even tried a set that gave Talonflame quickgaurd to stop fakeout, but even that didn't help. Now im happy that you admire the fact i use Zoroark on my team, but i didn't just use it cause its my favorite, and its fast for sweeping potential. Zoroark is less predictable as it's not common to see it, so some people don't know how to deal with it or how to expect it. I agree that i do require more priority on my team in some shape or form, but Talonflame is definitely not the answer for that. I did fix my Rotom and Charizards ev's to what you suggested, and that went perfectly fine. Also reason i don't want to use overheat on Charizard is due to the fact that it just cripples Charizard, and I rather not risk it, instead I taught Charizard ancient power so that it can deal with not only other Charizards, but even other Talonflames. Also problem with Moonblast is many Pokémon weak to it seem to be able to eat it up, not only that but follow me and rage powder Pokémon were giving me a hard time with Moonblast.

That is the results of some of the changes, i feel that i did learn a bit more though, and the partial Ev change seemed to help. If you have other counter suggestions to my results, I would be glad and happy to hear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.