1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Staff Post Regarding Eclipse's Ban

Discussion in 'Valor Archive' started by Ryan, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    As some of you have noticed, Eclipse, a former staff member and longtime LV user, has been banned. We received a written confession Eclipse had sent to another user, in which they detail how they manipulated the community and used LV as a social experiment.

Eclipse had effectively been 'catfishing' and lying to users for years, including close friends. For example, they frequently claimed they knew nothing about Pokémon on several instances; however, in the confession, they professed they were very knowledgeable about the fandom and the series. According to themselves, they have two personalities. 'Eclipse' was a facade they used around Lake Valor. Eclipse treats 'Blackrush', their new username/personality, as a totally separate entity, but they have admitted this is a lie and that it is just another personality of their own.

In another incident that became uncomfortably relevant from this discovery, Eclipse had asked me if I wanted to meet up. While I was on the fence, my decision was essentially made when they notified me that they would be wearing gloves and a hat. While the intentions are unknown and we can't draw too much from this, it personally alarmed me. We both live in California and they had wanted to meet during the summer, when there is no need for gloves. I get that this may seem to be a stretch, but after reading through the confession and knowing what I know about Eclipse, I worry that if I'd gone, I may not be here today.

While we won't force you to do so, we highly recommend cutting off contact and avoiding providing any personal details to Eclipse/Blackrush. Ultimately, this is your choice, but please know that Eclipse had aimed to manipulate users for years. This was a long-term, calculated plan with absolutely no regard for the feelings of any user. Just a cold, calculated experiment on his part.

Again, we have the confession where Eclipse fully details how they used Lake Valor to manipulate users for his entire stay here. This document is disturbing, so in order to request access you must be over 16. If you want to read it, please drop an administrator a message.

We urge you to stay safe, and if you notice anything off or dangerous, to report it to an administrator immediately.

Thank you for reading.

Shada, AeroHail, Mandriel and 12 others like this.
  2. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Thank you for giving us a statement. That is a terrifying idea of what could have happened. I am glad you remained safe Ryan and please so stay safe everyone. The internet is a scary place with people you do not know, this is a good example of what could be lurking... Thank you again for how you handled the situation as it sounds rather uncomfortable and creepy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Rezna, luxuryluxray, awney and 3 others like this.
  3. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    I can't believe that happened. Thank you for informing us of the logic. I'm just glad you're safe and unharmed. You've just gone to show us the dangers of internet meetups at points. Not saying all meetups would go like that but..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,645.7
    I honestly feel betrayed. I liked Eclipse and he was willing to help me with Calculus, but now since I know he was using us, I don't know what to think about him anymore.

Gwoomy likes this.
  5. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Thank you for the statement. I feel incredibly betrayed and I feel like I should have seen this. Just goes to show that you can't trust everyone, I guess. Glad that you are safe though, Ryan.

Gwoomy likes this.
  6. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    I... I have no words. This is just sickening. I trusted and respected that guy but then he turns out to be a turncoat and stabs us all in the back. Just goes to show that everyone isn't as good as they seem...

Gwoomy and CharlieWeasleyfan like this.
  7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I never ran into this person so I think I’m safe

8. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I do appreciate the statement. Though I'm not surprised, it does disturb me that he chose to treat us like a social experiment. This was an awful turn out, but I do still wish him the best because he was a close friend of mine. He was rather odd, but he helped me out when I was having a rough time with my own life. I would rather remember him in a positive light and hope that whatever is plaguing his mind will be resolved in the future.

I hope that everyone is safe and that this is the end of this chapter in LV history. Be kind to each other.

CharlieWeasleyfan likes this.
  9. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I really didn't know him too well and tbh, I didn't even notice that he was gone. I hope that no one got too badly affected by this and wish everyone well.

CharlieWeasleyfan likes this.
  10. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Well... sh*t. I really liked Eclipse, he seemed very intelligent, if a bit aloof. This just twists my stomach in all sorts of wrong...

Gwoomy and CharlieWeasleyfan like this.
  11. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,957.4
    I didn't know Eclipse very well, but from what little interaction I had with him he seemed like a nice enough guy. I guess this just shows that you can never truly know a person online and that we should always be careful. At the very least, we should be glad that things didn't turn out worse. Hopefully nothing like this will ever happen again.

12. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    All of us wears a mask. That's why our usernames aren't our government names and our avatars aren't our photo IDs. We all have masks, and that is both liberating and dangerous. Liberating in that our virtual identity is whatever we want it to be, a variable that we can set to our ideal self. Dangerous in that it can separate us from our one permanent self, the one that might not change even with extreme effort. Our permanent selves are the ones that need and deserve care more than any other part of us. The mask can be removed or replaced, but the person behind it cannot be. So care for yourself.

I feel like Eclipse was my friend, and I hope the converse was or is true as well. Everyone who is reading this, I see you as a friend, and I urge you to take your mental well-being seriously. Don't use yourself as a test subject or as a telescope into the human condition, and similarly don't treat those around you as those either. Get the care that you need. You deserve it, so do it for yourself. Communicate with a fellow human if you need to, and be lifted; whether that help comes from a soulmate, a working professional, or a friendly anon. Regardless of whether you did it alone or with help, be lifted. You get one playthrough in life, make it the best that you can in self-fulfillment and complete wellbeing.

Care for yourself first. Seek clarity from another human if you need it. Be your most excellent self.

FedoraMelody, kindred, Gwoomy and 5 others like this.
  13. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I was also extremely disheartened to read this since I considered Eclipse a good, trustworthy friend who seemed kind and supportive. I won't comment on the strangeness of this whole thing....but rather hope he will be able to improve his mental health in the future and move past this behavior. For my own sanity I won't be requesting to read the document but as already mentioned, please stay safe all!

14. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I... don't know how to feel right now. Even though Eclipse, and I didn't talk much, he was always willing to listen to my problems. He even helped me with passing a test in Pre-Calculus. I always though he was such a nice guy, but after reading this message, I feel as if I was just some toy for him to fiddle with.

I don't want to think this way, but thanks to this, I've been having second thoughts about what others have been saying to me. As for now, I'll continue to believe you guys, but let's all hope another incident like this never happens again.

Apawn, Gwoomy and CharlieWeasleyfan like this.
  15. Greenly

Greenly School Kid

Farosh
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽235.0
    That's unfortunate to know someone would manipulate others in this type of manner. While I did not know Eclipse that well, it disturbs me that he had everyone fooled this whole time. It goes to show how careful you need to be with others online.

Apawn likes this.
  16. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    I'm with you on that. Let's just hope that thanks to Ryan he's penned the final chapter for LV on that scary thought. People trusted Eclipse and all we were was his lab rats

17. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    While I have never directly interacted with him, what he did was horrible, even to a cold person like me. I feel sorry for anyone who fell for his antics.

18. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Oh my gosh. That’s kind of upsetting. I, like many others, believed he was a fine guy, more intelligent, refined, and inward focused. But to see this... it makes me sad more than anything. I had my suspicions about him not knowing what a Focus Sash was despite his significant amount of time on the forum, for example, but thought it was a coincidence or something. I don’t know what else to say.

Apawn and Gwoomy like this.
  19. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,650.4
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    Nothing could've prepared me to… this… and honestly, I'm… kinda okay right now. Thanks to my intense emotions, of course I cried; but I'm done with that now. All those four times I cried thinking of them, I like to think that I was sad because Eclipse was gone. Blackrush, or whatever his name is, doesn't matter. Eclipse existed, and now they're gone for good, and that's what's making me sad. Whatever were the reasons for them to exist, they existed, and that's what matters. For me, "Blackrush" and Eclipse are two different people; I "don't care" about what "Blackrush" did or might do, because I don't know him.
    Another thing I like to think is… even if what "Blackrush" did is awful, he confessed. I don't and will probably never know why, but he did. And "Eclipse" cannot be entirely fake. If he managed to keep up a mask that convincing for so long, then he has to have at least a little bit of "Eclipse" in him. And maybe "Blackrush" will grow in a better direction. But that's up to him, and the person I appreciated and admired is Eclipse, not him. I have no reason to ever talk to him again.

I think of it like this. We have suffered a loss. But, as for me, my period of mourning is done. I'm done with grieving, and I hope that everyone who feels the same will soon be. To all of you, even if it's not directly, I want you to know that I support you like I wish I had been. I'm obviously curious about the document, but I don't think I'll read it. This document is not about Eclipse; it's about someone we don't know and don't wish to know. What we all need now is… a fresh start.

Lord Vain, FireSpartan5 and Apawn like this.
  20. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Honestly this makes me feel really, really bad this happened (currently haven't read but I have requested because of my own interest in extreme psychology like that of killers that make for good shows).

There is this one movie I watched which was really good at showing that people online have really different "Avatars"- basically the "Avatar" coming alive and trying to take over the other person saying that they are the real one, the one portrayed to a larger audience------ Online. also being a psychological thriller but thats not the point

Don't let the fake self take over---------------------Be yourself

Funny enough something here has felt off for awhile and I guess thats it :P

#20 Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.