1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Reliance on Technology?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HoundDoomed, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoundDoomed

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I was on the train headed to a movie last night. As per usual, everyone was on their phone, but I saw something that, honestly freaked me out quite a bit. A mid-twenties guy was texting on an iPhone 5, had an iPad playing some show in his lap, AND a Vita. He was maybe 5 or so years younger than me, but really made me feel old.

Be honest, how reliant on tech are you really? What must you have, what could you do without?

Personally, I started doing some coding when I was about 13 (Dial-up!), then got more into the hardware side of things when I was in my later teens. Always been a big gamer, and I love movies. Didn't get a cell until I was 16. Currently I have an iPhone 4, I only use it to keep in touch with my family, check my bank balance, movie showtimes, weather. I don't watch the actual TV, just Netflix shows and movies on my laptop, my 3DS get's a lot of use, but I haven't touched my 360 in ages. I could live without my phone if I had to, still use pay phones ocassionally. Internet is hit or miss, I don't use Facebook often, usually only on 9gag or Netflix. Probably couldn't live without a handheld Nintendo console as I've had type or another for 16 years.

How about everyone else, are you a cyber slave, or able to hop off the grid at a moments notice?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bubbie

bubbie Sassmaster

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    i think im one of the few who could live without most technology. my phones usually at home while i'm out, honestly, and i only use my computer during the weekends. i rarely play a console, though like you, i'm never far from a handheld, but it could easily be replaced with a book as well. though yeah, it kinda irks me that we live in a society so governed by technology. every once and a while our system will go down at work and we literally can't do our jobs. we shouldn't live in a world where everything is digitally dependent when a EMP or something could shut down the entire grid. we'd seriously be helpless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I don't own a smartphone, and I don't care to. Something about them makes me feel uncomfortable.
    I can do without most technology I think. At the very least I've always been used to using shitty examples of it, like this shitty borrowed laptop I have no choice but to use if I feel like being on the internet at all.

4. Shadow Blaze

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    I think I could go on without everything, except maybe my laptop. The only real reason for that is because all my friends are on the internet, so it would kind of suck to only be able to talk to them in between other people's computer-usage on the main computer in the living room.

So... To be honest, I'm more reliant on technology than I'm happy to admit, but I won't sit here and tell you that I'm happy when my laptop gets sent in for repairs.

5. Agent Shade

Agent Shade Hex Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I admit I do rely on technology, but I could survive without it. I never use my cell phone, and hardly see anything on my TV, but it would be disappointing that I couldn't play my 3DS, not being able to listen to music on my iPod, or writing/doing schoolwork/talking with friends on my laptop.

6. JirachiWish

JirachiWish You only get two wishes

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I rely on my laptop a lot... I use it for art, writing, studying, entertainment, and socializing. As for everything else, meh. I never watch TV or listen to music, I don't have a modilephone or a tablet or iPad or anything like that. So yeah, I don't really need technology except for computers and Tamagotchis oops.

7. Fooze

Fooze Rival

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I always ask myself what will happen if the human population becomes too reliant on technology. I myself love using technology and having the luxury of using it but I do feel that I would be able to 'cope' without it. I think people should invest time into being able to do things the old fashioned way because you'll never know when it will come in handy.

I don't own a smartphone, however, I wouldn't mind having one in the future. It amazes me how you can see five-year-old kids strolling around with iPads and whatnot in upper-class areas. They don't need to have it but it seems that the younger generations have adapted to using technology just as easily as any one of us. I grimace whenever I think of the possibility of the human race being fat, lazy slobs having everything done for them in the distant future. Reminds me of a little animated feature called WALL-E.

My argument is the fact that if the next generations are literally born with technology surrounding them, how will they cope when everything is taken away from them (I'm pointing at the instability of the Earth in decades to come)?

8. Madaraki

Madaraki Poké Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽36.0
    I've got my PC, I got my first cell phone ever about two years ago, and only this summer I got a laptop because I need something portable for grading work.

My cell phone flips open, has caller ID, lets me call people and get called, stores contact info, has voicemail...and I can change its background between four select pre-sets. That's all it does and that's really all I need it to do. It's a dumbphone :)

I got my first PC when I was 18. I've still got the same case, but everything else has been overhauled/upgraded/updated more than a few times over the years.

Laptop...I've had since August.

I have NEVER owned a gaming console, and I take some sort of quasi-hipster pride in that :)

As for kids and tech; I realize there are advances being made in technology and I realize the advantage of having something a kid can interact with on a touchscreen device (as opposed to even a tv show), but I worry about how closed off from real people it makes them and the lethargy and utter lack of imagination the things instill bothers me. I remember when I was little we'd take whiffle bats outside in the woods and pretend we were Jedi. Other days if it was warm enough there were neighborhood super-soaker wars.

I'm sorry, but "Angry Birds" just isn't going to benefit a kid the same way playing outdoors will.

Oh god

9. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    I have no cable where I live, I use the family computer some, I have my 3ds, an ipod touch, and recently got a phone which I will rarely use. There is also a family wii. I definitely can survive without technology, as I grew up limited to 1 hour of screen time a day, but I still enjoy it.

As for kids relying on technology, there is waaaay too much truth to that. This are so out of hand, theres that part of me that wants to see it finally take its toll on the world and watch it crash and burn. I grew up and survived without much, and I'm glad I wasn't so dependant as a kid. The next generation of kids is so screwed... can't wait to see what happens

10. HoundDoomed

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    There does seem to be a corelation between, not so much kids, but as mentioned, the next generation of youth, and a reliance on tech. Not that it's terrible as honestly, I learned way more from scouring the net when I got my first computer than I ever did in traditional school, but where does the "good" use of tech end, and overuse begin. It does give a social outlet for individuals who may not do well in normal social situations (Myself included on this one), but the amount off access people have is kind of scary. You can find damn near anything, appropriate or not.

Thing I personally dislike is that it basically gives everyone a soap box to stand on and share their opinions, which is cool, society is becoming more open-minded than it's ever been, but there are still way to many people ready to shove their views/opinions down your throat and make you feel like garbage about your own views. Pretty saddening.

11. Galactikitten

PokéPoints:
    ₽10.0
    as much as i'd like to say i'd be fine without technology, i'd probably be pretty lost. a lot of my talents and skills stem from computers and technology. i think technology gets a pretty bad rep though. without technology, it'd be a lot harder to share ideas and advance society as a whole. and i mean, would you rather use a power drill to build a house, or hand screw everything? i know a lot of my imagination and creativity has come from having such easy access to information on the internet. that's just my take on it though. there is still definitely merit in traditional skills as well too. :3

12. Cobalt

Cobalt I'M A HURRICANE

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.6
    I could live without technology, anyone can. It's not a required element or anything and therefore isn't needed to survive. But I'd feel rather disconnected, because I don't make it a habit to delve into things if someone doesn't alert me or I don't have technology to tell me. I'm not like that guy on the train, that's honestly just freaking ridiculous, but I will admit I always pull out my phone when I'm bored and have all my work done, or before I go to bed. The first thing I do when I get home is check all my sites, including this one. Technology impacts my daily life, and while I could do it, I think it'd be very VERY hard for me to adjust to life without it.

13. Doomhound

Doomhound
    (Houndour)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽77.7
    HoundDoomed, you do make a point about being able to learn online, even more so than in school. Yet thats just not what the majority of kids are using technology for, unfortunately. Its all gaming no learning these days

14. EmeraldGlee

EmeraldGlee DESPAIR FOR ME!

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    I find it funny that most of the people here only mention entertainment type of technology like laptops/PC/cellphone/handhelds/consoles/etc but they don't mention technology like cars/trains/household appliances/medicine/etc. I personally can't imagine a life without these. Because everything around us IS related to technology one way or another.

I guess that maybe I'm way off track and this is not what this thread is about, but it makes me wonder. Are we that different from that guy on the train? Take away every bit of technology, and I mean everything. Go back to the medieval ages when electricity wasn't discovered yet. Sure humans can survive without it, history has proven that, but we, as people who grew up with electric stoves and heaters, would be very lost living then. It would be a shock that would kill off most. Am I exaggerating? Maybe not.

Do we know how to hunt? Farm? Can we work at that time to earn money? You could say yes. We can learn from other people living in that time. But then if we travel even further down time, even before the time society was formed and people had simple farming tools (that are still considered technology), would we survive? Would we survive out there in the jungle/forest/whatever with only yourself. There are people who know they can survive, but what about the vast majority?

I think we cannot survive without technology since it has been part of our lives for centuries now. I'm not very good at making analogies, but it would be like a man who has lived all his life with perfect vision. Then an accident happened and he was permanently blinded. He can live, but he would feel like he's not living, no longer able to see the world like he used to. Most would give up. Some would strive to cope.

The point is, I think it's rather hard for people of this age to live without any form of technology. So many simple things that we mindlessly do are a product of technology. Is this reliance on technology good? Hmmm...given the strange scenarios I gave, although highly unlikely, if people are thrust in a place without technology, they might not survive, so used to having technology around.

But times are always changing. People always say things like "In my time, we didn't have such and such!! You kids are lucky!!" It's an endless cylce.

TLDR; Emerald has been studying too much. She's is reading too much into such a trivial question, wasting quite a big chunk of her free time making this post. All you need to know about this long ass post is: Emerald cannot survive without technology. She thinks the kids are justified.

Cobalt likes this.
  15. HoundDoomed

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    No, I really enjoyed what you wrote. I should have stated more a reliance on tech that has developed over the last twenty years, but you make some fantastic points. There are, for lack of a better term, necessary technology we do need for most of humanity to survive.

Imagine how much lower the rate of death would have been, and the young age it usually occured, even in the early 1900's, if they ha the type of medical equipment we have now, CT Scans/MRI's, Ultrasounds, EKG, the types of things that could catch something before it became life threatening. Transportation was also a good point, lots of us talk how we don't need cars, and in reality, depending on your situation, you can easily make do without one, however, most people who don't have a vehicle use public transport or cabs. I live in a big city, I could bike most places, but when my Doctor is a 45 minute drive away, or an emergency comes up with my Grandma, well, I need my car.

Situations differ depending on people, less their age, more what type of life they live. I know how to farm and hunt, I build most of my own furniture, I rarely have more than a lamp on in my place at any one time, among other things. Simply because that was my life growing up, my dad is 65, some people I know who are my age have Grandparents not very much older than him, and he grew up doing all that living off the land, building things, etc. when he grew up, and taught me. So my situation and skills are wildly different than some other people out there.

Could I make do without most "uneccesary" devices, probably, and not without to much trouble. However, I have severe anxiety, so I get a lot of my social interaction online, I write for a living and without a computer it would really be a pain in the ass, my phone, could do without it but I'd rather have it as emergencies tend to come up quite regularly in my family where I'm needed, and I need a car to help out with those things. So even with the olden days skills I have, I still would totally choose to maybe not rely on completely, but still have that technology available to me.

Thanks for the post Emerald, sometimes things need to be gone into in a bit more detail to keep the conversation and thought process going. I loved reading it!

EmeraldGlee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.