1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Suggestion Remove video-games on Discord

Discussion in 'Support Hub' started by Achromatic, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    For a long time now, the phrase "move to #video-games" has popped up in general. It's become a very consistent phrase because people simply enjoy talking about video games in the general chat, probably because it's convenient and we are a video game based website. Since the room exists, people have to move this channel every time the talk about video games gets going.

I disagree with this - I think not only does it make sense to have video games in general due to the nature of our community, but also that by moving people to a different channel it completely kills the conversation. LV can do with MORE convos, not less. Moving it to a different channel just takes away activity from general, and this is the first channel people will see.

Any time I'm told to move to video-games, I stop talking. I couldn't be bothered to move there. Call me lazy, but it's a fact and I think lots of people would agree with me that it feels needless and inconvenient.

I can get the concerns, especially for upcoming games like Smash where staff don't want them to consume general, so I think it makes sense to have dedicated (probably temporary until hype dies down) rooms for those games, but general video game talk should stay in general. General can use the activity, and I can guarantee it will generate more interesting and exciting convos.

Cheers 8)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,620.6
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I'm with you :thumbsup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,471.2
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I agree with Ben here.

4. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Agreed - the video-games room was made when the general chat was being flooded with one particular game, and it was completely dominating every conversation. It's no longer a concern now, so I want to remove this as well.

5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    In my experience, I think the separate channel does serve a role sometimes. A narrow conversation about Skyrim or RDR or whichever can sometimes seem closed off with just a few people on the inside because anyone unfamiliar with those topics doesn't really have a place if they're not interested in that specific topic. If there was no separate place for it and I come in to see three people in a fast-paced conversation about Tekken, I may very well just not chime in at all because I have nothing to say and that's all that anyone's talking about, so I'm going to just go do something else somewhere else. The dedicated channel lets people have a narrow-topic specific conversation that's out of the way of the everything channel while still being public to others who may be interested.

I wonder if the problem isn't with the video games channel, but instead with general being too much of an oxymoronic sharply-defined blob. Might I propose a shift in the structure of general. General can be open to, well, generally anything, but if self-moderation (or moderator moderation) deems it a good idea, then the discussion at hand could be gently nudged to another room. If a bunch of people are talking about Diablo Immortal (heh) and a separate conversation about who just bought some cool new Pokémon plushies or had a great day at school is cropped up in the same channel, the more exclusive of the two (more likely video games) could have a place to still be public while not being a small monolith in the middle of open topics.

I'm not for or against it being removed. I am, however, in favor of there being a way for interest-exclusive conversations to both be public and not in-the-way of non-exclusive conversation.

6. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    I agree with the fact that directing a topic of discussion to another channel usually will kill said discussion, but I also feel #video-games has its uses. In my ideal world, #general would permit video game discussion and anything too specific, like setting up multiplayer matches or in-depth conversation when a popular new video game comes out, can be housed in #video-games as appropriate. The latter I'd not mind being in the general channel, but #video-games is a good option when people want to get into more heavy game-focused discussions without feeling like they are 'overtaking' #general.

Sums up how I feel.

7. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I can understand this. I remember when I thought the game rooms was only just for mine craft XD

So, yeah. But would the video games thing be sorta seasonal and then removed until the next hype game comes out?

8. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    This is what the forums are for IMO. It'd be ideal to encourage people to bring their discussions there if people want to get heavier with their discussions.

Shadria, Poffin and Vigilance like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    I think what we've decided on for now is just leaving #video-games as an optional chat to use, and no longer redirecting people there. Good suggestion, I've felt the same way.

Sheep likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.