1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Rival Champion

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Wizard, May 26, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,446.0
    Spoiler alert for Gen 1 :O (if you don't know this by now, then oh well)

In Gen. 1, you approached the champion's chamber, wondering who in the heck could be the champion of the entire Kanto region, and it turns out to be Mr. Smell ya later himself: Blue. (anime reference deal with it)

If it wasn't already spoiled for you, what was your reaction to Blue being the champion? Do you think this will ever come back in a future game? Would you have preferred a different champion? What did you think of his team?

I liked the idea of Blue being the champion, in fact I believe that he is still easily the best champion choice in the entire Pokémon series. His interesting team wasn't a problem at all to me, because it was the result of all of his training and hard work to get through the Kanto region. I'd like to see another rival champion sometime in the future. This is one of the things that I think makes the First Generation unique, it has probably the best regular game ending other than Black/White.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. brsajo

brsajo Idioddish

Sproot
    (Oddish)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,218.2
    I actually would have preferred if ButtfaceBlue didn't quite make it to becoming champion, because he doesn't have the right attitude.
    This isn't to say I'm completely against the idea of a rival champion, but I think their personality would have to match. For example, they'd be gracious in defeat and be ambitious and hard-working.
    Perhaps, they could even already be the champion and they test you every now and then with their weaker Pokémon until you beat the elite four and walk to the champion's room where they reveal that they are in fact, the champion! Sort of like a mix between N, Lance and Iris.
    I feel like in the earlier generations, your rival was always a step ahead of you, whereas in the more recent games, your rival(s) always seems to be a step behind you. It'd be a nice change of pace to have your rival be waaay ahead of you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    Oooh yes, that would be very awesome, I'm down for that! Something like a rival-senpai figure, while your character is the "rough diamond". Throughout the game, your rival keeps testing you (and you keep beating them), and only at the final fight (which could be the champion's fight), they decide to go all-out against you.

I thought Blue being the Champion was a very interesting plot twist! First, you fight him throughout the game, and then you face off again at the highest possible stage - the championship! For me, that was a great way to end such a great journey together (okay, not really "together", but I'm sure you get what I mean :P). It was really creative and I did not see it coming!

4. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Well Considering you fight him throughout the game and gained a good few levels on his 'mons from the lastime you battled him, it was quiet the twist :P. Not to mention hard (FRLG Was even harder). Ultimately I did not expect it, like most people.

5. Fizzysoda

Fizzysoda Valor Lake Cryptid

(Jirachi Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,390.9
    Soda Pop ★Reaper Cloth ★★★Amulet Coin ★★★
    I liked how in RBY/FRLG Blue(Or jerkface, ass, whatever your kid-self named him) was the champion. You encounter him many times during your journey and most of the time you meet him in the worst place/time possible. When I got into the League for the first time I thought I'd seen the last of him but nooope. Enter the final room and you see him there. I was annoyed with him then and beating him for the last time as the final battle of the game made it much more satisfying.

6. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    If I remember correctly, my first ever reaction to finding this out was very disappointed that I'd have to battle him again. Mostly because I was young, and I didn't know the ups and downs of Pokémon quite yet so they were still challenging to me lmao.

But I think it was cool to have your rival be the champion, if only for one final showdown. A final test by your rival, even though he didn't exactly see it that way lmao. I kind of hope there will be another game like this, I'm holding out for Gen 7 haha.

7. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    I honestly didn't like it as much because I knew what Pokémon to expect. It was like when all of a sudden Cynthia sends out his level 66 Garchomp like in Diamond. I had battled my rival before and he just had fully evolved versions of his previous team. Because of this, the fight was pretty boring to me and wasn't anything new. It just felt like another rival battle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.