1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Rotom Dex.. what do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Sheep, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    So I'm finding a few more people are frustrated with the Rotom Dex this time around, since he has a habit of giving you 'tips' in the bottom screen that can't be turned off and generally take up time by taking a lot. What do you think of this? Annoying or endearing?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Maddening. The addition of Rotom Powers don't really mitigate the offense of having a thoroughly useless and constantly intrusive tour guide/chatterbox constantly taking up your bottom screen which could easily be serving a more practical function. I didn't like it in Moon, and I like it even less in Ultra Moon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I love it! It's one of the cutest new features and I'm really happy with the additions. Not only does it make me feel like I've got a partner to run through the game with, he even gives me genuinely useful items like hatching power, money power ect. I always do the Lotto.

I do agree his repeated advice is annoying, especially when it blocks the map. Given how much he gives said advice though, I am starting to believe it was a bit of an oversight. Put that aside and it's fantastic.

4. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I don't mind Rotom at all tbh. I think the little thing is cute and a great travel companion for the games. The checkpoint flags displayed throughout the game really do come in handy and I can only imagine that newer and less experienced players find it to be even more so helpful. The new lotto is a nice new feature as well and it comes with some great rewards.

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I don't have the game myself, but I've been watching TheJWittz (a Youtuber that does a lot of Pokémon and other Nintendo-related content) stream UltraSun on Twitch, and so far it hasn't gotten in the way. That being said, we've only gotten to Melemele Island, so I've no idea if it gets better or worse.

6. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    I don't have much of an opinion on the Rotom Dex, but I agree it gets annoying at times. I really don't like using the 3DS's touch screen, but I have to force myself to use it just to get rid of Rotom's "tips".

7. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I honestly still don't care about it, yeah it can do a bit more stuff now but I really don't particularly care about it. It wanting attention now is just getting annoying really.

8. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I love him for the most part. Those Rotoboosts are actually pretty dang helpful, especially Prize Money; if you have an Amulet Coin, you get a whopping 4x cash from anyone you battle! Also great is Roto Bargain, which halves any price at the market; sadly this does not stack at the discount supermart... :( However, that "advice you didn't ask for" is kind of annoying. Just learn to ignore the bottom screen, and be sure to tap Rotom when he looks sad! There's a good chance another Roto Loto will pop up when you do!

9. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    I've always liked the little Rotom Dex. He's a cutie, and I kind of welcome the fact that USUM turns him into more than just a "needlessly sentient map" like he was in the vanilla Sun and Moon games; he actually feels like a little traveling buddy this time around now that you can interact with him more, and the new Roto Loto feature is pretty nice. His insistence on feeding you advice has only bugged me once ("I'm just trying to pull up the map. Why are you repeating a tip you just gave me instead?"), but that's about all.

10. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    I liked him in Sun, where he didn't really do much other then comment on whatever's going on whenever you advance the plot. In UltraSun, however, he just WILL NOT SHUT UP! I mean seriously, I feel like I can't even use the mini-map half the time because he's taking up the bottom screen with his useless facts that even he constantly admits are unwanted. What were GameFreak thinking when they decided to make him do that! They should have at least given the option to turn it off, but they didn't.

11. ShireHime

Meow
    (Meowstic ♀)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,408.4
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I actually love him a bit more here since I like that he gets interactive than before. The Roto Loto has been quite helpful for me too, especially the Friendship power since most of my Pokémon evolve via Friendship. As a person who likes reading so many stuff, I appreciate that he gives out tips and opinions and I love how you can also get closer with him in a way.

12. Borie Broer

Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽368.8
    I kind of liked it at first, but it gets really bothersome later on when he just won't stop telling me to heal my Pokémon or save my game right after I already saved it no less and the message won't go away until I take out my stylus and tap no, it's a huge bother because I like being lazy and prefer not to take out the stylus pen just to tap on the screen one time in order to see the map screen again.
    I decide when I save which is usually in a Pokécenter or before a tough battle, and I decide when I want to heal my Pokémon, which isn't often as a Pokécenter is close by most of the time anyway. :/ So stop bothering me Rotom plz.

Why can't you turn this off?

I like getting those Roto Lotos though.

13. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'm really annoyed by it. I would so much rather have the HGSS bottom screen, aka the full pause menu available at all times. I can do without a minimap, the chatter seems pointless, and the asthetic with the goofy eyes starting at me is just silly.

14. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I mean sure, it's annoying, but it is worse in the anime.

15. That Weirdd Guy

That Weirdd Guy PKMN Breeder

Buddy
    (Sableye)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽27.4
    I like the Rotom dex to a point I guess. The rotom powers being random is very annoying however. I really enjoyed leveling up the O-powers back in ORAS and the rotom powers seem like discount O-Powers you cannot even choose. The banter is funny at times, but mostly goes ignored.

16. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I want to catch a nincada, evolve it into a Sheninja just so I can show Rotom dex its back! Seriously though, I don't mind it too much. Yes it gets annoying at times but I can mostly ignore it. My main gripe with rotom dex is the fact that it takes away your controls for the loto. I never used the o powers from the previous games and I didn't use the loto powers either so the fact that it stole my controls was a little frustrating. Also, it was a lot better in the beginning of the story.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  17. VictoryStar34

SS Egg #1
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,103.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★
    It's sometimes helpful...Sometimes really annoying.

18. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Personally I'm neutral. I like the new features and he is a nice little companion, but they could tone him down a bit or give an option to turn off some of the advice. That said he was bound to have some pros and cons and I'm still glad he is around.

19. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Love Roto Loto, Roto Boost saved my ass during the water trial bc I chose litten

20. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    He is quite annoying to deal with, I don't like being guilt tripped.

SawstheSawsbuck likes this.