1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

School Group Projects

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LassusVulpes, Oct 14, 2020.

1. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.1
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    well well well, look who's making another thread.

So I want your guy's opinion on group projects. Imo they're horrible as one person does all the work while the others dick around and if that one dude wants a good grade they're forced to carry those people and has to do more work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jupjami likes this.
  2. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    My biggest problem with group projects is the working with other people part. When I have projects to do, I have my own thought of how it should go, and I don't like compromising what I want to please other people. Especially since I don't like being confrontational, so I'll probably be the one to cave first.

The one great thing about working in a group is that I may not have to do the parts that I don't understand or like. The last time I had a group paper for school, I didn't understand how to go about doing the research itself, so I volunteered to edit the completed paper to make all of the individual parts flow better and make sense. It was the job I felt most comfortable with, and my classmates couldn't be more grateful, since editing was the last thing that any of them wanted to do.

And I like that at least the past few group projects, part of it was we ranked our classmates on the work they did individually, so if somebody didn't do anything, the teacher would know about it and grade them appropriately.

3. 1mightydragon

1mightydragon PKMN Breeder

Queza
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,415.8
    They actually get better as you get to college, especially in the engineering field, because all the people in High School that don't care don't typically get to the 4th year of college and when it came to my final project there was one guy that tried but was not the sharpest tool in the shed but he at least tried.

In Summary:
    Middle School: Awful
    High School: A Bit better but still bad
    Early College: it's Ok
    Late College: Most people by this point pull their weight so it's not bad
    Work: Not sure yet

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SAF likes this.
  4. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    If I be grouped with blokes I be friends, of course, aye~!
    If I be grouped with blokes I don't really know or like, 'twould be hard but quite manageable~
    If I be grouped with blokes who be lazy and reliant like me, then dear kami help us all...

5. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    As made evident by the posts above, it does ultimately depend on the people you're being paired up with. Naturally, working with friends can feel more more enjoyable than working with strangers whose habits, strengths and weaknesses you don't know. Then again, just that kind of task can cause one to get to know people one otherwise would have never interacted with, so there are also benefits to it.

On a personal level, I found group projects quite tricky because I do have my personal expectations and sometimes have trouble knowing my place, so to speak. In other words, I do have an underlying tendency to get my will by force, which means I need equally as headstrong people to argue with me to actually make it a team effort. I do think I've been able to improve on that in the past, but old habits die hard, as they say. And sadly, too many people are much too content with having their work cut out for them by another person with contributing anything that goes beyond such imperatives...

One of the biggest hindrances for me though was to actually communicate with my potential team members. There was a time where I essentially had Discord as a messaging platform and nothing else. In retrospect, that cartainly made preparations for meetings/presentations harder... xD