1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

School rating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LassusVulpes, Jan 5, 2020.

1. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,827.6
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    What's your opinion on school? I gotta return to hell tomorrow so I won't be on until 5:00 EST but as my first sentence says. What's your opinion on it ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DuoM2

Groudon Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,398.7
    Everyone's experience with school is bound to be different, since some people go to nice schools, some people go to bad schools, and some people just get homeschooled. I'd say I've been fairly lucky for the most part and enjoyed school.

For most of my life, school has mostly been a place where I can just see my friends. The work has been easy up until college, and so that really doesn't get in my way. If I have a class with even one friend that makes the class not boring because even if there's no point in class where it's appropriate to talk, their company is still nice. I have been bullied in the past, though. Most of it was from one or two people at a time, but it was no big deal- except at public school.

My two years at public school were the worst years of my life. I had very very few friends and just about everyone else hated me for being who I was. The teachers were also absolutely horrendous, and the ways they've responded to me doing anything out of line are completely wrong. One teacher punished me for fighting back against a bully, and one of them kept me in class for too long and left me in a scenario where no matter what I did, I was getting in trouble with one teacher or another.

Everyone's experience is going to be different here. A lot of it depends on luck, from what I can tell. Do you fit in with everyone else? If not, do the people there still accept you? Are the teachers there any good? The only things where you are what matters is how well you end up doing in class if you are given the tools to succeed.

3. Vitis

Vitis Banned

Hoopa
    (Hoopa)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽51.8
    My opinion is that you'll miss it when it's gone even if you hate it now. When you get out of school there's work obligations never end, screw up at work and you end up getting fired, no money no anything so the stakes get higher as you get older, but screw up in school you get a bad grade that you can make up for next time. That aside any friends you have in school you're liable to lose contact with and you're liable to have less free time when you get out of school and get into the real world. It's true what they say you don't know what you have until it's gone. Then there's college (assuming you go) it's more of the same, but you get to dictate the courses to a degree to align more with your interests. It's kind of a middle ground between being ejected fully into the workspace and the good old carefree times folks take for granted when they're happening. It has more consequences than Highschool not to mention the potential debt, but still has somewhat of a cushion you can bounce back from if need be though aligning more with interests can alleviate some of the disdain for it.

All that aside highschool and below is basically pointless, the general education they give you, you're most likely never going to use and the normal person won't retain information of skills they don't use and that's sort of the premise of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?. Information you were given that may be simplistic you won't necessarily retain thus potentially creating a void of knowledge that you should in theory have, but simply can't recall. Guaranteed I can't name all the elements in the periodic table, their symbols, and their weights yet it's something that was required in my highschool chemistry. I can't even begin to tell you where Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Tajikistan are just that there countries. Haven't once since I've been out of school needed to find the area of a triangle. Just look at the meme that was circling around a large portion of people couldn't solve 8/2(2+2) and come up with the proper answer because they couldn't remember the rules of order of operations just their ridiculous short cut to remember what comes first forgetting that Multiplication and Division have the same weight so just using something like PEMDAS So the answer is definitively 16 whether a large portion of the internet agrees or not.

8/2(4)
    4(4)
    Not
    8/2(4)
    8/8

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I'm enjoying school right now, but that's just because my schooling is just taking a few online classes at a time. Because I can take however many classes at a time as I want, and my human to human interaction is solely done online (face to face can be stressful for me sometimes), I don't get all that overwhelmed by things. I do still get challenged though, which I like, because otherwise I wouldn't exactly be learning, would I?
    My online schooling isn't perfect though. There's not a whole lot of class options. For my required classes, we needed to take two classes in the 'humanities' category. I took the foundations of humanities class, which was great, but for the second class while there were supposed to be a lot of options to choose from, only one of them was available online, so I had no choice but to take a Pakistan class (which focused on the history and social structure of Pakistan). It was an interesting class, but there were others that I would have preferred to take and I didn't appreciate not having a choice on the matter.
    And, because it's a school that is owned by a church, some of the required classes are religious (and not even learning about different religions from a theoretical point of view, but focusing on just the religion of the church that runs the school), and 90% of the other classes try to tie religion in with the topic. It gets a little old.

5. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    As repetitious and socially draining school can be, I am still grateful for what it has given me. If I never went to school, I wouldn't have developed interests in language arts, history, and psychology. It also gives me a consistent routine, which prevents me from feeling directionless. The only things I'd change are replacing tests with regular assignments and giving younger students more flexibility in their schedules.

6. 1mightydragon

1mightydragon PKMN Breeder

Queza
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,415.8
    My opinion on school is this: it is a necessary evil.
    But its necessity changes from grade level to grade level
    Elementary School: Kindergarten to 5th Grade: 100% Necessary a student learns to read, write, do arithmetic and (if the school system is good) history.
    Middle School: 6th to 8th Grade: 25% to 50% Necessary a student expands on what he learns from the last 6 years but now their body is undergoing major changes that affect their learning. (I do not remember much from this time with the exception of Algebra)
    High School: 9th to 12th Grade: 25% to 50% Necessary: The student is about to become an adult now and needs to learn about economics, taxes, voting, the draft, and needs to decide then if they are going to college or not. High School needs to be a place where a student can become an independent functional adult. (I do not know why most of my literature classes even existed... I mean seriously why did we have to learn about Romeo and Juliet when we could be trying to write persuasively, creatively or informatively as a class and maybe make a competition out of it in the class. PS: The literature classes felt more like history than actual literature)
    College: After High School: 75% to 100% Necessary: Depending on which school you go to and which field you want to work in.

Overall: it's repetitive, just busy, and (unless it is the math portion) useless after elementary school.

7. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I agree with what some other folks have said on this thread, that school sucks but some parts of it are necessary. Maths and English for example.
    My school experience was okay to start with but went downhill in my teen years.

Primary school was good. I went to a small country school with only about 20 kids. The atmosphere was nice and I got on well with most of the other kids there.

Highschool was horrible. I was enrolled at a Christian private school that would try and force religion on you at every chance they got. The teachers were mostly nastly (loved my English and art teachers though), heavily biased towards students they knew from church, hated students that disagreed with their politics, etc. Horrible place. I was so relieved when I finally finished school.

8. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    School is horrible. Not a bad idea in concept, in fact a very necessary one. People in this day and age need to know how to read, write, math, history, and so on and so forth. However, the implementations of these ideas is archaic and often times biased. Elementary school is good at teaching the fundamentals to kids, the only problem for me is that the teachers can be really bad or force "normal" down a child's throat. Though the latter is less problematic recently, the former is something that not only I've experienced, but would scare a lot of kids and I'm surprised it isn't tackled more.

For middle school, it continues on the aspects taught in elementary school, but lags behind in various aspects, such as health and wellness.

High school is the worst out of the bunch in its implementation. There are bad teachers in High school, but this I find being less an issue as people are getting old enough to deal with it or do something about it. Curriculum falls flat in everything but math and arts. Literature is useless unless you're a book worm or you can't read by high school. History class is so American focused they should stop bring world maps to class. Foreign language is implemented way to late in the school system to be effective. And the list goes on and on. Do I have remedies for this, yes. I'm not sure about other schools, but mine had a government class senior year that talked about the government, current issues and the teacher was so amazing that he tried his best to force students to find their political beliefs without filling them with his own. I would have this class replace literature right away, be taught in freshman year, and be continued to be taught up until graduation. It should also probably teach you how to do taxes if that isn't already a separate class. History, should be world history that covers mistakes, problems, wars, and historical issues to give students an insight into the decisions and events that lead to the problems of today. Mental health should be one of the first classes taught along with developmental psychology. Mental health education is something that should be far more important than anything else (except maybe taxes) and yet you'll have to wait till college for that information. I could keep going on, but I think you get my point. A lot of systems are old and a complete redesign of the curriculum is in order.

9. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Ok, it's time to go on an Old Man rant. Here I go:

I HATE school. I've always hated it, and I still hate it even though I'm in college, let me run down through the list:

For most of my school years, I was constantly bullied by other kids and harassed by other teachers. I never had too many friends in school either, so I felt like I was in prison most of my days in class. There was only one year where everything went smooth and that was when I was in the 6th grade. I got good grades, and no one really messed with me. It was awesome. I have way too many bad school stories I can share, but I will only share one because I don't want this post to be huge:

One time in the 7th grade there was this girl who kept blocking me when I was at my locker (Not only that, but she kept harassing me in general). I wanted to be on class on time, but there was one time where I just had enough and I called her fat (That's putting it lightly by the way, and of course this didn't go well), so we ended up getting into a fistfight. Actually, she punched me a few times, but before I could even punch back someone grabbed hold of us. We got sent down to the office and the principal gave ME suspension time while the girl literally didn't anything at all.

Did I ever had any good memories of school? I can hardly think of any if you don't count leaving for any given reason (Vacation in general, Graduating, etc)

In college, none of that really happens anymore, but so far I haven't had a single semester where I could be stressfree throughout its entirety.

To this day I still have nightmares about my days in elementary/middle school/high school/college. Yes, it's that bad. I go to college for one reason only: to make decent money with the degree I hope to get.

#9 Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  10. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    School is a place where you can learn, make friends, and cause general chaos~! We usually form our barkada (our gang; our little family) in either school or church, and usually annoy or recruit a few teachers in the process... Either way, for me school is quite fun~

Oh and another thing about our school life here is that when you tease someone, they tease back~! That's really what makes school so fun; we keep on finding new ways to insult each other~