1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Nuzlocke Second Time's The Charm - A Pokemon Fire Red Advanced Nuzlocke

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Neb, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Hello there! Fire Red Advanced fills a very specific niche. It's a dex replacement hack that only moderately increases the difficulty. Unlike other hacks, it doesn't limit your choices early on or throws nasty trainers at you. There's a natural difficulty curve. For those reasons Fire Red Advanced is a fantastic pick for newer nuzlockers.

My last attempt ended during the Erika gym battle. I had lost all of my best Pokémon and I didn't know how to work around her stalling Gourgeist. On top of that I made little effort to train my team without MGBA's speed up feature. As a result, many Pokémon were lost from my impatience alone. This time I'm going in fresh. I will train my team at every opportunity and always keep extra healing items. Luck will still affect how this run goes, but I hope these precautions will result in fewer deaths.

Before we start, here are the rules:

1. I can only catch the first Pokémon on a route.

2. I must nickname every Pokémon.

3. If a Pokémon faints I must store it in the PC box for the rest of the run.

4. If my party is wiped out the run is over.

5. Shiny Pokémon can always be caught regardless of whether it's a first encounter or not. (shiny clause)

6. Pokémon that are fished or surfed are separate encounters.

We start with Professor Oak showing us his Porygon. It looks like he's been at the Celadon game corner for a while. I guess that's what he did while he made a couple preteens do his work.

[​IMG]

I named my character Neb since I've exhausted every variation of "Benjamin." Blue will be referred to as "Kyle" since he has tremendous Kyle energy.

[​IMG]

In honor of a Chinchou from my last FRA nuzlocke, I named Treecko "Mark." If you didn't read my first attempt of this game, I had a naming gimmick where I named some Pokémon after characters from The Room. While I've lost some interest in that abysmal movie, I still have a fondness for certain scenes.

[​IMG]

I can't think of a starter Pokémon less fitting for Kyle.

[​IMG]

With Pokeballs and a Pokédex in tow, I found a Sentret as the route 1 encounter. From what I've heard Furret is a solid baton passer in this game. I named him "Ground" after that one time Brock said Furret was a ground type.

[​IMG]

In Viridian City I found a Natu! I chose "Simpsons" since its evolution can predict the future. Creative, I know.

[​IMG]

Whoa, My route 22 encounter is literally me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On route 2 I found yet another normal type. I love Buneary as much as the next person, but this is ridiculous. I named him Jae because why not?

[​IMG]

I found yet another normal type. I love Buneary as much as the next person, but this is ridiculous. I named him Jae because why not?

[​IMG]

Before taking on the bug catchers, I decided to train up most of my party. Mark was left out since he was already the strongest member of the team. Ground kept getting EV boosting items during the session, so I sold them all off. It made getting potions much easier.

[​IMG]

Nothing beats two hit KO-ing a Combee with just a Buneary.

[​IMG]

One of the coolest parts of this rom hack is the ability to instantly rematch almost any trainer. No longer do you need the versus seeker in order to get some extra cash. I'll have to remember this in the future.

[​IMG]

In the Pewter City Thunder Gardens I found a Mareep! I named him Olivine after the Johto city. In order to make the run safer I spent two hours grinding the party up. Jae stayed in the PC to ensure more type diversity.

[​IMG]

I sent Ground out first so he could put Brock's first Pokémon to sleep with yawn. From there, I spammed mega drain with Mark.

[​IMG]

At least that's what I planned to do. Mark's attacks barely left a scratch. I switched to Olivine in the hopes of stalling Lileep out.

[​IMG]

This wasn't working either. Paralyzing Lileep with thunderwave helped for sure, but spamming charge beam for the special attack buff was impractical at best. As a final strategy, I switched to Scott. After all, he resists all of Lileep's attacks.

[​IMG]

In between spamming poison tail, I healed the rest of the party with potions.

[​IMG]

Knowing the next Pokémon could harm Scott, I swapped him for Mark. Dwebble's rubble rush did a decent amount of damage, but Mark's mega drain was able to heal most of it. Of course the A.I. wanted to be a pain by using a potion. That's what I get for using six of them during this battle.

[​IMG]

As I much as I wanted to 1 hit KO Brock's Omanyte right away, Mark was just too weak. I swapped him for Ground and used the yawn strategy yet again.

[​IMG]

Now that Omanyte was weakened, Mark could healed up and use mega drain. That Pokémon didn't stand a chance.

[​IMG]

Overall, Brock put up a decent fight. If Mark and Ground weren't present I would've lost.

Just as the battle finished two of my team members evolved. Ground evolved into a beautiful Furret and Mark became a Grovyle. Let's hope he doesn't run into any Dusknoir later on.

[​IMG]

With Ground fully evolved I decided to focus on training Jae. For the time being he'll be staying in the Daycare box. This was the best first gym of any nuzlocke I've ever done on a nuzlocke. I received a somewhat diverse team and had zero deaths. I hope I can keep this streak going. By the way, feedback is always appreciated and thanks for reading!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    NyxieRina and SAF like this.
  2. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,036.7
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Oh dang this sounds like a really great mod actually, I have to give that a try sometime. Also your team is getting more adorable by the second!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Neb likes this.
  3. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Did you ever get around to finishing this?