1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Self Care

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wings, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    As someone who suffers from a lot of stress due to mental illness, I’ve found lots of ways to keep my illness under control so I can stay grounded and calm. A lot of these “ways” fall under the category of self care: for example, taking relaxing walks close to nature, writing, and talking things out with close friends. Oh, and also getting healthy amounts of sleep.

However, lately I’ve noticed several businesses seem to want to capitalize on the self-care movement. I’ll get emails from makeup companies convincing myself to treat myself, that I deserve a break (and therefore, to splurge on their products). Bath bombs have gotten relatively big as well, which I don’t quite understand because although the idea of a bath sounds calming, baths actually make me really uncomfortable. I’ll just feel gross from sitting in lukewarm water and less cleansed than if I take a shower.

So what self-care methods help you take a break from life? Which ones work, and which ones don’t?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,937.8
    Pretty patterns and relaxing/inspiring music help me when I'm feeling anxiety rearing its head. Having a kitty helps--purrs help calm me down and relax.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Wings and ShinigamiMiroku like this.
  3. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Showers, music and video games, depending on how bad it is. It doesn't' work 100% of the time tho since sometimes is just too severe but for the most part it works.

4. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    If it’s too loud I try to drown out the noise with music. I like to listen to music as I work so I can calm down, but if I’m really stressed or frustrated (like I was yesterday) then I squeeze something squishy in rhythm with the song. I try deep breathing but I don’t see any results out of it.

5. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I agree with having cats—both of my cats are complete morons but when they’re actually around I do feel a little less stressed out.

6. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,937.8
    If you can't have a real cat--a purr generator is the next best thing.

Wings likes this.
  7. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Back when I had cats, I would go outside and let them just lay on me, lick me, and even sometimes let them play with my hair. I just loved the amount of purring that I get when I'm around them.

Now that I don't have cats, I have to settle with watching kitties on the internet which isn't the same as in real life. Writing sometimes helps when I'm in the mood and listening to music also helps, but it isn't the same as having cats around.

Wings likes this.
  8. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I rarely ever get stressed or I'm so focused on what I do, I have no idea that I'm stressed in the first place. In order for me to de-stress, I find a room that is completely silent and do nothing, not even think. I'm aware that it isn't that easy for most people, but for me, its like second nature. I just sit back, and let my mind recharge. I usually know when I've recharged by the time my thoughts start becoming restless. Certainly doesn't take money or much time, but it forces me to relax.

9. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,275.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    When I'm stressed, furiously typing long words or just smashing something into something else helps. Recently, a friend and I came up with this practice where we play some music and then press certain parts of the keyboard like a piano to the melody/accompaniment/beat. It's pretty good as a stress outlet. And my keyboard hasn't broken. Yet.

10. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Honestly, I'm always stressed. I am one of those unenviable people that always has something wrong with them, and who finds something and/or makes up something to be wrong when nothing is wrong...which is a very rare occurrence, especially now that I'm older and becoming more and more aware of my own mortality.

I don't really have any particular method of coping with unwanted stress beyond the norm, though...I can't read or watch something because I can't really focus on it, and if I play a game when I'm agitated I make mistakes and just end up getting more agitated because now THAT is going wrong too. When I'm having a full blown panic attack all I can do is sit and wait for it to stop.

I suppose I'm content in my misery. Anything is better than boredom.

11. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    When I just need to unwind and calm down after I've been stressed, I like to just curl up with my stuffed animals and watch a movie (either a cartoon or a musical movie, depending on my mood). Listening to music and writing also helps, though it's not nearly as effective.

12. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Sometimes playing a relaxing game like Stardew Valley can reduce my stress, but only for brief amounts of time. What does help is intense aerobic exercise. I’ve picked up bicycling again and it’s done wonders. Having to focus on the task at hand, in this case not falling, keeps me from dwelling on anything negative.

Just having a good routine for hygiene can help. In the mornings, I brush my teeth, put on deodorant and brush my hair. Before bed, I brush my teeth again and take a hot shower. At first, it takes some effort to get a good routine down, but it eventually becomes second nature.