1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Sharpedo vs Lapras

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Cadbberry, May 21, 2017.

1. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Why do you think they give you both Pokémon in game? They will just allow you to swim on the water, so why give you both of them? Lapras is for less useful in my opinion and once I got Sharpedo I didn't use Lapras again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    It might be because people like em both, and that Lapras is the Transport Pokémon and shark riding MUST be fun and not dangerous at all :P.

In all seriousness, I think it might be because people would like to have a variety of ride Pokémon to have, so then it can kinda reflect what their character is like.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    I actually use Sharpedo more often, but I like Lapras a whole lot better. I have little idea as to why we got them both as one would have sufficed perfectly well. Maybe because you cannot fish from Sharpedo's back, we got the gentle Lapras to do it with?

4. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I'm LOVING doing those high-speed donuts on Sharpedo, but I love riding Lapras too. Just so cute :) Perhaps it's because riding Sharpedo is REALLY hard; the shark is ridiculously difficult to control. For me? I prefer Sharpedo.
    Random thought: is doing a lot of high-speed donuts on Sharpedo called sharknado-ing? ;)
    #MissingNo

Smooshie likes this.
  5. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I prefer Sharpedo because let's face it: you're riding on a shark. How can it get any cooler? You can smash through boulders! Though Lapras is a lot of fun, I prefer the speed that comes from riding Sharpedo.

6. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Though it never really makes a difference, Lapras is more for precision riding. If you're using Sharpedo's boost, you'll be drifting all over the water like Tony Hawk on a jetski. Since there aren't a lot of instances where precision makes a difference in how you traverse the water (There aren't many sharp turns or narrow passages to navigate), Lapras' usefulness is undermined. I hardly ever use it now.

7. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    I prefer mounting a shark, feels cool :ninja:

8. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Never liked Lapras at all, and it's annoying to battle against. I prefer Sharpedo way more, and would use it in-game if I ever decide to get further in Sun/Moon.

9. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Sharpedo's ride is far more useful.

10. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    I find lapras easier for sneaking into fishing spots but other than that it's not all that helpful. That is unless speed reduces encounter frequencies.

11. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    Not that I've gotten far enough to encounter them both and therefore say which is better for sure, I appreciate the idea of not being forced into using Sharpedo because I'm really not a fan of it and Lapras is both elegant, cute and a classic :D

12. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    It is slightly odd that they would give you both these to ride but I guess Lapras might be more for nostalgia since the surf sprite in the gen 2 games were that of a Lapras. I find Sharpedo a bit hard to control so I tend to use Lapras unless I need to clear rocks or search for pokémon in the water.

13. Hikari

Hikari Poké Maniac

Ryu
    (Trapinch)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽450.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I always use Sharpedo. Might as well, because if I see any rocks in the way, I can save a few precious seconds and just race my way there. If I was on Lapras, I would just have to switch.

Though Lapras is nice when you want to take it slower and more calmly.

Buuut, I like riding Sharpedo a lot more. :)

They did give us Lapras first, and then Sharpedo after. Making us start slower first to get used to the waters, then give us something super fast later on.

14. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    They both had unique surfing models in OmegaRuby and AlphaSaphire, which may have something to do with it.

15. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Sharpedo because going fast in water was so much more convenient in Playthroughs/Speedruns/In General. More so with me who is super busy all the time and doesn't have the time to swim slow *Looks at DPP*

16. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    I came back here again. Guys did someone search at Google to know if Lapras has a hidden ability when swimming??

17. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    Well, I tend to use Lapras when I "surf" in Alola, because I've already found all the hidden secrets behind the Sharpedo-only rocks, and you can't pull out your fishing rod while riding on a Sharpedo.

18. Smooshie

Smooshie Feebas Enthusiast

Mimi
    (Feebas)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽270.2
    For me, I'd prefer Lapras over Sharpedo because 1. Lapras is so cute, 2. Nostalgia and 3. It's a lot more precise riding on a Lapras compared to Sharpedo.

However, I think I use Sharpedo more because the shark's got speed XD

19. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    I like Sharpedo a lot and use it more frequently, since I'm impatient and in a hurry to get places! I will use Lapras for fishing sat bubbling spots and finding items though, it's a lot more precise.

20. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    I like Sharpedo because it's faster. Though rotating the Circle Pad with Lapras is quite entertaining.